Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Fake Profiles
 PairODachs58
Msg: 5 (view)

Fake Profiles
Posted: 2/25/2017 5:24:24 PM
I've reported about 35 fakes in the past week. Yeah, we all get those letters. It's big business. A lot of them working out of places like a "call center" or "helpline." I did this 12 years ago and it wasn't a problem then. My husband died last year, so I'm now back on the market, and disgusted by all of the landmines added to the usual players, liars and jackasses by these fakes. I have interviewed women that have lost thousands of dollars to these fake Lotharios...hopefully ones that are better at their jobs than the ones that have been writing to me!

Someone on another forum suggested sending out one-liner "Hello, how are you" toe-in-the-water letters to prospects instead of wasting time on a "real" letter, but that's becoming impossible now, because that is the go-to move for fakes. First you get a one liner "hello beautiful, you has beautiful eyes" then if you answer you get back a bit longer letter with glowing compliments about how you are the most beautiful thing since Mona Lisa, then if you respond that's followed by a cut and paste (I've received a dozen of the exact same letter, those are the ones you know came from a call center somewhere...they all have exactly the same script) of who they are and what they want. And it's of course a combo of all the things all of us are looking for. Once you've strung out a few of these guys you can spot them a mile away. (Hint: if you see a lot of profiles with one word repeated, like a lot of "something-tac0" or "something-cat" be wary, those are usually call-center IDs.

"Real" guys are going to have to get tougher skin about women not giving out phone and email right away because these fakes have made it impossible for us to trust ourselves about who is real and who isn't.

I've run photos through tineye.com and found photos from one profile on dozens of profiles on other dating sites around the web. Including a lot from other countries, including of course Russia and the Soviet which is where a great deal of our scammers are coming from, according to research I and other writers have done.

I got to use the worst dates I had a dozen years ago from people I met online in my latest novel. Now they sound funny. I'm wondering in a dozen years how funny this experience is going to be looking back at it. I'm guessing not so.

Hang in there. We all have to hope that there is ONE real human on here that will speak to our soul and not our wallet.
 PairODachs58
Msg: 344 (view)

artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 2/25/2017 5:00:20 PM
I know this is a very old post, but wondering if anyone has found any answers in the last 9 years to this question.

Show ALL Forums