Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Vegemite in Toronto
 vainh
Msg: 3 (view)

Vegemite in Toronto
Posted: 12/1/2010 4:29:33 PM
Might be more common in Welland, but here in TO, I'm not having much luck. Whole Foods used to carry it, but now Kraft is not returning their enquiries about it. Called the only Fortinos in the city, same sort of story. There are no Zehrs here, and the best I've found so far at a Loblaws is marmite. Close, but no cigar.

I'm going to keep searching, but any help would be appreciated.
 vainh
Msg: 1 (view)

Vegemite in Toronto
Posted: 11/21/2010 3:03:22 PM
So, you know the old cliche," my girlfriend from Canada." Well, that one doesn't work if you're actually from Canada, so "my girlfriend from Australia" loves her Vegemite on toast. She's coming for a visit in the not too distant future, so I'd like to have a little taste of home waiting for her. I do know of a place not far from me that sells it for about $10 for a small jar, but I'd like to find a long term supply of the stuff.

Yes, yes, I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a retailer in Toronto that sells it currently. I live in the general vacinity of Vic Park and Eg, and I work in Yorkville, so the closer to either of those, the better.
 vainh
Msg: 7 (view)

I was wondering
Posted: 1/29/2010 3:46:43 PM
And you thought that other site we're on was bad, lol.

Sounds like a phish to me as well. Given that POF is rated #39 in Canada, 83 in the UK, and 99 in the US today on alexa, it's a fair bet that you'll hit someone who's had an account at some point. Block user works for me.

rev
 vainh
Msg: 17 (view)

Report Here any Annoying or Offensive (Ads) Advertisements (NOT Profiles)
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:18:43 AM
That sounds like you have some sort of mal/adware. I've never seen what you've described on the site, and other than ads, driving traffic to other sites would be bad for business. Sounds a little like Search Essistant from the popups and extra links.
 vainh
Msg: 4 (view)

Good places for Photos in GTA
Posted: 8/27/2009 12:46:07 PM
The islands have some nice spots if you can get away from the crowds.
 vainh
Msg: 57 (view)

Nine Inch Nails
Posted: 8/27/2009 12:42:52 PM
Saw the show at the Amphitheatre with Jane's, which was ok, but severely pared down. The show this weekend is part of Virginfest, which I completely forgot about. Shows all day Saturday and Sunday, with NIN closing Sunday. Might turn out better seeing as they're the closing act, and it will actually be dark for any light show.
 vainh
Msg: 63 (view)

City of Toronto Services Strike
Posted: 8/27/2009 12:33:27 PM
Sorry to leave you hanging. Haven't been on the forums for a couple weeks.

In a union shop, you could potentially be passed over for promotion because someone with more seniority might be considered before you, not based on performance or ability, simply because that's what the contract says the employer must do. Also, because wage/salary increases are similarly tied to a contract, workers that might otherwise get a larger raise based on their performance (albeit at the expense of poorer performing employees) are given the same raise as everyone else.

I believe that what I propose as being the better way is called a meritocracy, where people get ahead based on their ability and effort, rather than by collectively doing only as much as (or less than) their contract requires.
 vainh
Msg: 61 (view)

Posted: 8/12/2009 8:11:14 AM
Hey, you know I have a solution if you find yourself working someplace that doesn't respect you as an employee. You quit. Now, that's self-esteem: this place's loss will be someone else's gain. Unions have to gang up on their employers, because heaven forbid any one of them should stand up to the boss on their own 'cause they're gutless. Yes, this is harsh, but I feel it's fair to present an opposing viewpoint to the post above.

Now, I'm not a proponent of pure capitalism since I know business is too greedy to run unchecked (see US financial sector). However, the laws of simple supply and demand would indicate that if you treat the workers poorly, you'll either find yourself without a labour pool, or the workers that are willing to work under your conditions will be so unskilled as to produce a product no one will want. Result either way: you're out of business.

Unless you've got a union. Then you just roll the dice. You can overpay underqualified workers, or find yourself in arbitration if you don't give in to unreasonable demands. So you can go out of business this way by either not being able to get people to cross the pickets, or just plain bankrupt because your labour costs are so high that no one can afford your product (see North American auto sector).

The lesson here is that a good employer doesn't need unions. A poorly run company will bankrupt itself without the help of people to afraid to find employment elsewhere.

To answer you, psssst, this sort of does. An ambitious worker doesn't necessarily need to rise within their own company. If management recognizes talent, which was clearly the case with your sister, they will reward her. Otherwise, she can move somewhere that does see her value.

As for dismissing someone with only notice, explain that to my (non-unionized) employer who had to go to an arbitor to prove cause when they fired someone a couple years ago with severance. This is someone I personally would have fired had they been in my department for incompetence and laziness with no severance.
 vainh
Msg: 55 (view)

Posted: 8/11/2009 6:38:01 AM

I'm back at work and still getting my Sick Bank benefits and a raise!!!
So the strike ultimately lasted, what? 39 days?

39/365=10.68% of this year's pay. What was your raise again? 6% over the next three years? That's a fine union you've got there. Now if only they'd kept you out another month or so. They could have negated most people's sick bank as well.

Unions flex their muscles to prove they can, not in the interest of their members. Been that way far too long. In the bad old days, they were trying to improve working conditions in places that were frankly dangerous. Now it's little more than a power struggle between egos.

The formula for raises should be simple. Last year's plus cost of living equals this year's. If you sucked last year, you get less. If you did a good job, you get more. A union really isn't required, and in fact for people who actually care and do a good job, it holds them back.
 vainh
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 7/20/2009 7:00:16 AM
Come visit. That ought to put us over the tipping point.
 vainh
Msg: 34 (view)

Posted: 7/18/2009 12:08:43 AM
The TTC and Toronto Community Housing Corporation got the same deal in April and May that we are asking for.
So basically you're on strike because you don't want to be the first union to take the hit. Eventually, one of the municipal services is going to have to take a cut, or there will be service cutbacks. Fewer services means fewer workers, and that means layoffs. That's the way I'd play it, anyway. We can't increase the budget, but you want raises. So, we'll keep the budget exactly the same, give those that are left their raise, and cut back staff by the amount of the raise. 3% raise means 3% staff cut, so 900 people lose their job.

Maybe I'll run for mayor. Couldn't be any worse than Miller.
 vainh
Msg: 76 (view)

Filtering out Must not have messaged users looking for intimate encounters or sex.
Posted: 7/8/2009 8:26:33 PM
I agree in principle with the idea that people you cannot contact should not appear in your search results. For a more innocuous example, smokers should not see people with the "Must not smoke" filter in place. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, though. More pageviews means more revenue.

However, for all you crybabies whining about your inability to contact these so-called "control freaks," etc., get a grip. First, why would you want to contact someone who annoys you with their uptight ways? Second, how did your egos get so huge to think that they're losing out by not wanting to talk to someone who either can't keep it in their pants or who only looks at the pretty pictures, not reading carefully enough to know the object of their ogling is looking for IE? Oh, look, something shiny...

Filter works just fine at filtering out both perverts and idiots. Ask yourself which category you fall in. If you're upset by this post, I'm thinking you fall into column B, but since I have the filter on, at least I won't be hearing from you.
 vainh
Msg: 6 (view)

Why do people with no photos get to deny emails from people with no photos?
Posted: 7/7/2009 5:57:19 PM
She wants an IE virgin
 vainh
Msg: 9 (view)

Happy Pride Toronto!
Posted: 6/30/2009 7:07:25 PM
Just a little something to set the homophobes in a tizzy: if you think being gay is a choice, does that mean you made that choice? That is to say, at one time you felt sexually attracted to the same sex and chose heterosexuality instead? You woke up one day and decided that despite your strong attraction, you'd go the other road and avoid all the social stigma surrounding same sex relationships? I know for me, it wasn't a choice. Guys just don't get my motor running, but more power to you if that's your thing.

Yes, this is the stupidest comment ever, but so are your intellectually stunted notions about sexuality. If you had to make a 'choice' yourself, you're at least bi and the biggest hypocrite walking the planet. If it wasn't a choice, stop and think for a millisecond before you speak next time.
 vainh
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 6/29/2009 6:50:12 AM
The 18 days were given as a concession in an earlier negotiation, ie. we can't raise your wages because we don't have it in the budget, but we can give you this instead because it essentially costs us nothing now.

Now is 18 days of sick days that can be carried forward financially a good idea? Probably, since LTD insurance is usually a co-pay with the employer paying 75% and the employee paying 25%. By allowing employees to bank days, should a real long-term health crisis come along, they are in good shape as long as they've banked days. And probably cheaper all around than the insurance premiums.

Is allowing them to cash them out at retirement a good idea? Terrible, mostly because of the optics of it. Personally I get 10 sick days a year, and it's rare that I take more than half of them. End of the year, those days are gone. They're not vacation days that I've earned, they're a courtesy by my employer. I'm sure most people are in that boat, hence the backlash.

But again, the current arrangement was negotiated in lieu of an earlier pay increase. While I too don't like it, it's hard to completely begrudge the union for not wanting something clawed back that they probably only agreed to before in place of cost-of-living increases.
 vainh
Msg: 116 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 6/13/2009 12:08:13 PM
Some random surfing today turned this up.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
Almost makes me want to become a Buddhist. Almost.
 vainh
Msg: 11 (view)

Favourites
Posted: 6/12/2009 3:15:43 PM
No good reason? How about not being attracted in any way? Sounds like a good enough reason to me.
 vainh
Msg: 10 (view)

Favourites
Posted: 6/12/2009 3:02:45 PM
Better still, you really shouldn't have to wait for someone to message you to block them in any way. At the bottom of every profile, it should have a "Block User" button. Think of it as a reverse favourites list.
 vainh

Dead Feature: Date Night !
Posted: 6/12/2009 2:53:44 PM
http://www.plentyoffish.com/datenight.aspx

Interesting idea, if it worked right. I clicked on the "Show me users that want to go on a date this friday night with in " button, and it showed me a dude. Nothing wrong with that if you swing that way, but I'd personally prefer to date women.
 vainh
Msg: 109 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 6/10/2009 7:50:49 AM
Then you get into a "and who created the creator of the creator of the creator of the creator..." argument. On an extremely absurd, childish level, if you've ever pondered this, you may have an elementary grasp of my infinity argument. Better still, if you reject this idea, you play directly into my argument, since if 'god' always existed without a creator, then time has no beginning.

Incidentally, for a crash course on why the human brain could arise from an explosion or an accident, if you accept my initial framework, simply look up "infinite monkey theorem." You know, a million monkeys on typewriters will eventually write all the great works. The concept is mathematically demonstrable.
 VainH
Msg: 2 (view)

Anyone see the NINJA show?
Posted: 6/4/2009 6:51:36 AM

I would wait until they do their own headlining tour again
See, that's going to be a problem since this is sort of their farewell show. The plan is to take an indefinite break from touring. One of the main reasons I went.

Incidentally, all in, tax and surcharges, for 400's was $45.
 vainh

Anyone see the NINJA show?
Posted: 6/2/2009 10:44:19 PM
What did you think? Missed the Tom Morello openner if someone want to tell me about that.

Trent and co. put on a good show musically, but having seen NIN before, I was a little disappointed in the light/stage show. Flawless performance, lots of energy, just not the spectacle I remember from the last show I saw ('99? when APC openned at Maple Leaf Gardens).

First time I saw Jane's, and I liked it a lot, though it kind of felt like the Dave Navarro show rather than the Perry Farrell show. Hard to believe, but Perry's 50 now, and it's starting to show, sort of like Plant later in his career. Still hitting the notes, but showing the effort. Never been a huge Navarro fan, but no question the man can play.
 vainh
Msg: 14 (view)

Cool new pic/profile detail when hovering on a profile pic
Posted: 5/26/2009 5:29:58 PM
What they're seeking (Dating, Long Term, etc.) would be far more useful than Profession. I'm pretty sure I won't be going on a date at their job.
 vainh
Msg: 36 (view)

Staying positive with negative emails from men
Posted: 5/23/2009 2:58:31 PM
What fresh hell is this? You know, I've heard that if you don't feed the trolls, they die from starvation. Ok sure, lethal injection would be faster, but I'm pretty certain there are laws against that.

I would have reported this thread, but then I enjoy watching Dim-witted****own himself every time he speaks. I figure it's a public service.
 vainh
Msg: 5 (view)

does POF read this?????
Posted: 5/17/2009 6:28:14 AM
Spell checking profiles, etc., is like 'photoshopping' your pictures. It's a cheat.
 vainh
Msg: 67 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 5/10/2009 2:10:43 AM
You miss the point. Whether or not I believe things are possible has no bearing on my view of reality. I do not attempt to find meaning in these things. I sometimes joke that I'm a transcendental nihilist. Just because something has a reason or explanation does not give it meaning.

Weather can be explained. Hurricanes are both frightening and awesome in their power. Glaciers can reshape a continent. Studying these things, while fascinating, does not give them meaning, just explanation. These things have no will, and therefore no meaning.

That we exist in of itself has no meaning. How we got here, again while a fascinating study, does not imbue that existence with meaning. What we choose to do through our will with that existence does.
 vainh
Msg: 65 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:06:33 PM

VainH, I seriously wasn't aware that I made any pot-shots at anybody.
And they call me vain. My comments weren't directed at you. Please try not to take offense, but to be completely honest, I've only been skimming your posts. From what I've read, your tack on this has been to replace the notion of god with new age 'teachings.' To me (and this is actually a major qualifier since I've already said that my beliefs are my own), this is simply replacing one set of irrational beliefs with another. At least with religions, humankind has been bombarded with these ideas for thousands of years rather than tens. That some people still believe is at least understandable, as it's taught as if it's historical fact. For example, I know a little about Tesla as well, and while he had flashes of brilliance, he was quite insane. He did pioneer such inventions as radio, but he also tried to create earthquake machines (mechanical resonance) and death rays. Hardly a shining beacon of mankind's ability to be rational, and bringing him up only serves to polute the arguement.

A few deep thoughts to ponder for everyone:
You don't need to know your place in the universe to have a place in it.
Some things are unknowable.
The pursuit of truth is noble, and simply because you don't find the answer does not make the attempt any less so.
 vainh
Msg: 52 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 5/4/2009 6:54:19 PM
Yes, yes, we heathens only insult the god-fearing by not believing the same things they do. You couch what you say in the illusion of being pleasant about it, yet you always come back to taking a pot-shot at atheists. Thank you for your unbiased opinion.

Again, I reiterate and redirect my earlier point, that believers hope that god will restore paradise on earth. I would argue that non-believers hope that man will create their own paradise. The end is the same, just by different means.

Yes, there are those who will talk down to the faithful, just as there are those that will talk down to us. Don't pretend to be any better when you do exactly the same thing. I actually am trying to be pleasant about this, but my patience is being tested.
 vainh
Msg: 44 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 5/3/2009 11:30:06 PM

I wonder what the origin of God is? Where did he come from?
I would guess from about 50,000 years ago when our ancestors started to show signs of communication outside grunts sufficient for mating and hunting. "Your mate is hot." "Food is good." "How did we get here?"
 vainh
Msg: 36 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 5/3/2009 7:51:16 AM
People also believed the world was flat, that the stars were pinholes in the curtain of night, and the Earth was the centre of the universe long before scientists were more than the same snake-oil salesmen that churches are as well. That an idea has been around for a long time is no proof that it is correct.

And please don't ascribe your notions of what it is to know there is no god to me. I am far from hopeless. To lead your life hoping there is a jackpot at the end is no way to live. Life is the reward and its own purpose, so the point is to live it as if it is the only one you will have. Live it well because there are no second chances.

For what it's worth, I feel that many scientists have it wrong as well. It is difficult for a finite being to have a true understanding of the concept of infinity. For something to be truely infinite, it must expand in all directions, not just forward. There may have been a big bang, but if there was, it was not the only one. My theory, granted as unprovable as god, is that the universe has always existed, that time has no start. Given an infinite amount of time, all possibilities that can happen will happen, including that a random combination of events would lead to the creation of life.

Some might argue that by my theory there could also be/have been/will be a god. True, but whatever that being could be described as, it wouldn't be the creator. Something with no beginning is not created, so someone claiming to be the creator of that thing would be a liar.

Some people fear mortality, fear the unknown, so they seek explanation. If they can find none, they create one.
 vainh
Msg: 32 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 5/2/2009 8:41:26 PM
Why would I explain it to them? What gives me the right to do so? I simply pass them by - no harm, no foul. It is again one of those preference things. I prefer people who have had the wisdom to look past the myths that someone with a vested interested in perpetuating them has brainwashed them to believe, or at the very least, make NO effort to force those beliefs upon me.

Do I think religion is foolish? You bet, but unless it becomes an issue, I feel no need to force my beliefs upon anyone. That is no different than what everybody else has already done to them. My beliefs are my own, and I'm intelligent enough to defend them if need be, but they are just that: mine. I have other beliefs that might prove unpopular, and though others may disagree, that is no reason to preach at them until they come to my way of thinking.

For most people, their faith is of no harm to anyone (except maybe to themselves). As long as it does no harm to me, let them believe whatever they want.
 VainH
Msg: 19 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 4/24/2009 11:13:40 PM
That's another faulty premise. Do you go to work on Victoria Day if you're not a monarchist? Do you work Family Day if you have no kids? Canadian Thanksgiving for whatever that's for? It's a stat, so of course not. I work hard, so I'm entitled to a day off here and there.

Christmas I celebrate with family, out of tradition not out of superstition. Easter annoys me since everything is closed.

Your approach to your faith is at least healthier than most, but it's certainly not for me. Though your question about how non-believers celebrate holidays does ring a little holier-than-thou.
 vainh
Msg: 16 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 4/24/2009 2:49:13 PM
On a lark, I let some JW's in once. Surprisingly, on a political level I can understand some of what they say, but then they started in on the second coming and the rapture, and I had to cover my mouth, nod and say "mmm hmmm" to keep from showing I was laughing.

The guys pulling the strings for these cults (and I include all the major Abrahamic religions here) are indeed intelligent people, but they're playing on people's ignorance when they organize into churches and preach what these teachings are supposed to be about. They bend and distort it to their own ends. You get the crazies talking about the dangers of the New World Order, but in the JW's case for example, they're suggesting the same thing, just that in their version, the dictators are benevolent by their standards.

Left to personal interpretation and discussion, nothing wrong with the Bible, the Torah, or the Qur'an. Though dated, there are some universal truths to be found in them. Required reading? Certainly not. Most of the lessons are so obvious in a civilized society that only a moron wouldn't wouldn't already know them. The problem comes when people start to hold them up as the cornerstone of morality rather than just another fable meant to illustrate an idea.

Living a just life in a just society in harmony with your fellow man is the goal. These books are only supposed to be learning tools, not the end itself. When the book ends, you're supposed to pick up another and continue your journey of awareness and self-discovery, not stagnate and never think or question again.
 vainh
Msg: 13 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 4/23/2009 2:47:42 PM
Everybody get out your lighters and start singing "Imagine"...
 vainh
Msg: 8 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 4/22/2009 4:17:55 PM
You should know what you're in for, and that why it's not entirely a bad idea to talk about it. If I see a profile that says something about their faith being the most important thing in their life, or some other god-fearing nonsense, I pass that profile by faster than you can slam the door in a Jehovah's Witness' face. I'm sure more than one person has passed me by for my complete lack of belief.

For devoutly religious types, god is the core driving their life and personality. As strongly as they believe is as strongly as I don't. Best not to be blindsided by this on a date, and hence why it's completely appropriate here.
 vainh
Msg: 3 (view)

the end of religion
Posted: 4/22/2009 11:30:33 AM
That is a bit of a faulty syllogism:
- Religion teaches 'do unto others.'
- People who do unto others are good.
- Religion is good.

Then again the converse could also be faulty:
- Religion teachs people about god(s).
- People do bad things in the name of their god.
- Religion is bad.

The real problem with religion is that it takes a great deal of responsibility off the shoulders of those who believe it. "It's god's will," "it's in the lord's hands now," "god will show us the way," blah blah blah. These notions stifle critical thought as to the true nature of the universe. They keep people from taking action to fix things. They keep people from rising above their petty nature for reasons much beyond fear and/or belief in reward in the afterlife.

It's just not all that far flung from telling a child that Santa won't bring them presents unless they're good all year. Kids usually stop believing in Santa because the story just doesn't hold up, yet they are often admonished for questionning the faith thrust upon them.

I tend to agree that for great unwashed masses who are unable to really think for themselves to any significant degree, religion is probably a good thing. But personally, I would be more moved by someone whose positive actions are dictated by their own conscience rather than belief in some magician in the sky who will punish or reward them for those actions.
 vainh
Msg: 12 (view)

Ebay - To Hell In A HandBasket
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:31:44 AM
Only an idiot would do otherwise, but it does go against the spirit of an auction to inflate the shipping costs. Sure, you could get a $0.01 item with $24.99 shipping, or get the same thing from someone else for $20 with $5 shipping. It is the same cost, but given the choice, I'll go for the "honest" seller.
 vainh
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 4/21/2009 9:23:14 AM

I'm guessing that people aren't getting the prices they want by auction so they're trying to make up for it in shipping and handling charges.
That's called circumvention of eBay fees, and you can report items you think are being inflated in that manner, even if you're not bidding. Keep in mind that they do allow for reasonable handling fees, but $25 shipping for a small item by regular mail is more than a little suspect. I got a bass couriered once for $40, and that was reasonable, but if he charged $100, I wouldn't have even bid.
 vainh

using forum search ?
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:12:31 AM
Google is your friend. If you're running IE7, you can add this as a search provider:
http://www.google.com/search?q=TEST+site%3Aforums.plentyoffish.com

Or just go to Google and search...
Whatever you're looking to find site:forums.plentyoffish.com
 vainh

Posted: 4/20/2009 3:07:56 PM
I learned my shipping lessons long ago on there. Unless it is otherwise impossible, I only shop from Canadian vendors. No worries about customs or getting dinged for duty charges.

If you do shop from a US vendor, make sure they ship USPS, since personally I find there are fewer customs hassles, and I've actually gotten stuff faster from California that I have from northern Ontario. If they say they will only ship UPS, avoid them like the plague. You'll not only pay the ridiculous shipping to the vendor, but UPS has some absolutely insane brokerage fees. "The brown" is quite an appropriate name for their crappy service.
 vainh
Msg: 8 (view)

Am I Wrong Not To Provide Encouragement
Posted: 4/20/2009 10:41:02 AM
Is one wrong to not provide encouragement to people one is not really interested in dating? Does one really need to ask this question? I think it answers itself.

Bubbly on a first meeting probably translates to nervousness in many people's minds. Being told you're easy to talk to may be nothing more than trying to reassure you that you have no reason to be nervous. If bubbliness continues, it might mean flighty or avoidant behaviour, and I know for myself, this is an incredible turn-off.

Be thankful they don't call back. If they were just going through the motions, everyone involved would end up unhappy. Think about that the next time you consider feigning interest.
 vainh
Msg: 339 (view)

Plentyoffish Music.
Posted: 4/8/2009 3:53:49 PM
Create a playlist, go to that playlist, grab the imbed code for that instead of the single songs.
 vainh

Rating New Photos
Posted: 4/8/2009 12:01:53 PM
Not a mind-reader unfortunately. This is really admin's decision. I find shirtless photos distasteful personally, but not offensive. I'd hazard a guess that the intent is for headless torso's (greased up, cheezie mirror shots with no face, et al). Hard to not be shirtless if you're in a male in a bathing suit, for example, so that is unlikely to be the spirit of the button.
 vainh

Rating New Photos
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:22:11 AM
The rules for this should be so simple a shaved chimp could follow them. Just to make life easier, maybe there should be a "Skip" button if you don't feel comfortable voting. Having actually been a mod on a (the) well-known pic rating site, I have the following suggestions for basic rules that should either be up on the accept/reject page or with a quick link so people can be clear on what is and is not acceptable.

1) No nudity or pornography.
2) No copyrighted material/obvious fakes/cartoons.
3) Main profile pic must be clear and include the member's face.
4) If the main profile pic has more than one person, the member must be clearly identified in the photo (an arrow, "Me" over him/her, etc.)
5) All other photos MUST include the member's face, though not necessarily close-up. No photos of children, pets, vehicles, houses, art, landscapes, headless torsos etc. unless the member's face is also visible in the picture.

People will always moan about my 5th rule, but the reality is you can describe your hobbies/children/pets/collection of antique whirlygigs in your profile. The photos are supposed to be so potential suitors know what you look like, not everything else in your life. If something is so important to you that you feel you need to put it on display, one would think you could stand to be in the same photo with it.
 vainh

Dating A Separated Woman
Posted: 4/8/2009 7:20:01 AM

So don't over look someone because of there status.
That's a slippery slope. I might not overlook a separated woman, but she'd better be something goddamned special for me to look very hard. What's next? Should we ignore the fact that people are married and still living together? I mean, if they're really, really unhappy in their marriage, how much different is that from being separated? Maybe they just couldn't afford to move out.

Find the money, beg, borrow or steal it if you have to, sign the papers, and get out. If you feel that it's time to move on and see other people, then it's time to move on and end the marriage. Otherwise it just looks like you're reaching for a new branch while still hanging on to the old.
 VainH
Msg: 18 (view)

Earth Hour
Posted: 4/4/2009 3:13:43 PM
Everytime I see someone mention something about Sunday, I smell right-wing Christian agenda. I'm too lazy to type more of a diatribe about how much that annoys me, so go here to discuss energy savings and Sundays...

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10336081.aspx
 vainh
Msg: 6 (view)

Does Must not be married also mean not separated?
Posted: 4/1/2009 11:55:10 AM
To be clear, I'm assuming he means to ask if people who are separated are also caught by the "Must not be married" filter. No, they are not, but I also feel they either should be or an additional filter added for that purpose. I have been contacted by separated women, and turned them down pretty much on that basis alone.

Separated means "still married" to me, and whether or not you plan on returning to your spouse, the possible resultant drama is not something I'm seeking. It's a deal-breaker barring some extraordinary circumstances.
 VainH
Msg: 12 (view)

Earth Hour
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:58:04 AM
At a bar tonight celebrating a friend's big 3-0. They shut off the lights, and the 'band' was a guy on accoustic. Myself, I unplugged my grow lights (herbs, tomatoes, and peppers, so get your minds out of the gutter) before I left.

Global conspiracy or not, nothing wrong with showing a little activism. Not exactly like it was a hard thing to do.
 vainh

Some homes selling for less than price of a new car!!!
Posted: 3/26/2009 1:45:30 PM
Just did a check of MLS listings $25,000-$50,000, and there were one, maybe two, ok houses out of 52. Of the rest, about half of them looked like double-wides, a couple were being pushed as university residence alternatives, a few looked like they were ready to fall down, and none of them had any real effort being put into them by the agent. Even at double commission, they only stand to make about $2500.

Most of the stuff is craptastic until you start getting above the $150,000 mark, but having watched the Toronto market for a while, these are easily $350,000-$450,000 houses here. Cheaper than a car? No, but with a long enough mortgage, they'd carry cheaper than one.
 vainh

Some homes selling for less than price of a new car!!!
Posted: 3/25/2009 8:22:58 PM
Makes it cheaper than a cottage. Other than going to Red Wing games and watching people get shot on Detroit news, is there anything to do in Windsor? Might make for a good vacation property, and if property values rebound, a tidy little investment.

Show ALL Forums