Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: photos in toilets
 zerotasker
Msg: 50 (view)

photos in toilets
Posted: 11/27/2011 5:31:38 PM
I am just astonished that anyone would start a thread about photos taken in toilets (where the biggest mirrors usually are) yet would be wearing a giant red condom on his head in his own pic!
 zerotasker
Msg: 39 (view)

Possible Imminent UFO DISCLOSURE!!
Posted: 11/20/2009 12:38:43 PM
Of course there are Aliens already amongst us. They are all around us! you just have to look for the tell-tale clues. They tend to be just a bit weirder than the rest of us.

They usually make contact first of all with a lesser species, usually cats.

A really big clue is if they show up in photographs holding or stroking a cat.

Look carefully - you have been warned!!!!!
 zerotasker
Msg: 2 (view)

Women the superior sex
Posted: 11/8/2009 3:12:12 AM
I am forced to agree with the OP, because my screen name came from a cartoon in the New Yorker magazine which featured an ordinary-looking guy slumped in an armchair with a far-away look on his face. The caption simply said "Zero-tasking!"

Somehow it fitted me perfectly.

However, I think that zero-tasking is a very special and worthwhile activity that should be appreciated, even respected, for the skill and dedication that it requires.
 zerotasker
Msg: 28 (view)

Nidal Hasan Shoots & Kills 12 US Soldiers
Posted: 11/6/2009 9:57:01 AM
Of course everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but common sense has to come into these situations somewhere.

If someone is a Muslim, or from a Muslim family, then it is sensible to ask if they would have a problem serving as part of an army of occupation in a Muslim country. It seems only fair to the person involved. I am sure will will hear much more about this US situation in the coming days that will make many of our comments redundant.

However, I recall some years ago, immediately after the British Muslim convert (Robert Reed?) tried to set light to his shoe bombs on a flight to the USA (and was prevented by some quick thinking fellow passengers) all airlines started testing shoes for explosives "at random" on every flight.

I was travelling on business in the USA at that time and somehow it turned out that I (the only one with a British passport) was tested every single time!

Was I offended? No way!

Did I think it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction? Yup!

The offender was British (and had a very low IQ, as I recall) but the testers, with no other guidance or clues to go on, decided that any Brits should be tested. Were they prejudiced? Perhaps! But I cannot help recalling that when I lived in London in to 70's and was too damn close for my liking to three IRA bombs, if I was in a pub and heard Irish accents, I would always make damn sure that when those people got up and left, I would take a good look at where they had been sitting to see if they had left any bags or packages behind. Seemed like common sense to me at the time!
 ZEROTASKER
Msg: 17 (view)

Does my bum look big in this?
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:06:58 PM
With a little bit of thought, shopping with any woman need not be a problem. Just rehearse a few phrases that will allow you to tell the truth tactfully. For example:

"No, the cut is all wrong on you!"
"I did not think it looked any good on the mannequin, so no wonder it does not suit you!"
"That is OK, but I am sure there is something that will suit you more."
"Sorry, I just think that it is not elegant enough for you."

and so on.......
 zerotasker
Msg: 6 (view)

bank charges
Posted: 10/29/2009 5:18:54 PM
Not many people realise that, if you are suffering financial hardship, you do not have to wait for the decision of the court case as mentioned above. You can carry on and take your Bank to court!!!

Details can be found on most financial "expert" web sites, or just search for "Bank charges - financial hardship"
 zerotasker
Msg: 2 (view)

Do our footballers think that they are above the law?
Posted: 10/29/2009 5:09:51 PM
Looking at the online news reports about the jailed Marlon King, it appears his defence was one of "mistaken identity" and the jury convicted him with a majority verdict of 10-2.

I have absolutely no idea whether he is, in fact, guilty, but perhaps we have not heard the last of this case?
 zerotasker
Msg: 10 (view)

Flirting with Married people
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:58:05 AM
Flirting, it appears from the opinions expressed so far, can be good or bad, depending on how it is perceived as opposed to how it is intended.

If done with humour in the right context, I think it can be a rather pleasant form of communication (I was going to say "social intercourse" but thought better of it!).

In the past, flirting was seen as a social art in the royal courts of Europe. How times have changed! What a pity. In our fast-changing society perhaps some things have fallen by the wayside.
 zerotasker
Msg: 60 (view)

So, what's 'wrong' with The Daily Mail and those who read it?
Posted: 10/20/2009 7:31:14 PM
The "problem" with the Daily Mail is that it has changed over the last few years from the best tabloid newspaper in this country to a right-wing rag that peddles populist knee-jerk reactions to the news that it hopes will sell papers.

A Cornucopia, in his posts above, refers to the creator of a truly great popular newspaper, the late Sir David English. David was one of the great editors of the last century and built up the Daily Express before switching to the Daily Mail when he felt he was badly treated by the owners of the Express. The Mail soon outstripped the Express in quality reporting, as well as in circulation terms.

Of course, those who hold right wing views will see nothing wrong with columnists and editorials that pander to their view of the world, but that is a far cry from a newspaper that reports the news in an unbiased way, with a balanced commentary. The Mail still has some excellent journalists, but it has slipped drastically from the standards set by David English.

One of the many obituaries about David, available online, goes some way to explaining where the Mail has slipped in recent years. He was my friend, and I miss him, but the Mail Group misses him more.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-sir-david-english-1164350.html
 ZEROTASKER
Msg: 89 (view)

Homosexuality
Posted: 10/15/2009 2:05:54 PM
Dear oh dear! Not still plugging your idea of what is normal, Message 92?

Using your very poor logic, if you are in a situation wher you are in the minority (for example, if you turn up to a PoF meet and there are more women attending than men) then you are abnormal.

Thought you would have learned not to use that argument when it was shown up as a fallacy last year. Some people do not learn, it appears!

Just because homosexuals and/or lesbians are reportedly in the minority in most societies, it does not follow that they are therefore abnormal, except in your mind, it seems.

HTH
 zerotasker
Msg: 24 (view)

Are you demonstrative?
Posted: 10/2/2009 12:21:35 PM
OP, try bringing the subject up with him directly. He may be failing to be demonstrative as far as you are concerned, but he may think he is being the perfect gentleman.

You, however, are in danger of being guilty of failing to communicate. If something is bugging you about the relationship, try talking to him directly, calmly, about it.

You are far more likely to discover his real thinking/attitudes by bringing the subject up, than relying on the guesses of Forumites (wonderful lot that we are!)
 zerotasker
Msg: 20 (view)

Grannys Boney Finger, Terrorised Teenage Boy
Posted: 10/2/2009 12:15:07 PM
I wonder if this was a case of a street-wise kid (or even his parents) insisting that he had been assaulted (which technically he had) and the Police not being able to do anything but process his "claim?"

It could also be that the Police had one eye on their "Clear-up" statistics. One complaint = One conviction = 100% clear-up rate.

I suspect that the Granny, when interviewed, freely admitted that she poked the little sh1t, and they felt that they had no alternative but to carry it forward.

Whatever happened to a Police Caution?

It will be interesting to read more details when they are revealed. Anyone got a source for this case?
 zerotasker
Msg: 35 (view)

Pre-nups agreements in the UK
Posted: 9/29/2009 11:24:29 AM
I hate to scare folks, but it makes very little difference these days if you are married or just living together. The Family Courts in this country cannot be reported in the press and some of their decisions are absolutely disgraceful. Anyone entering into a long or even medium-term relationship should be prepared to lose 50% of all they own. I kid you not!

Even the current Government has said that they are worried about the state of these Family Courts, but they cannot obtain enough information to deal with the problem properly.

As someone said previously, a court can ignore any pre-nup if it feels like it.
 zerotasker
Msg: 15 (view)

gold diggers
Posted: 9/3/2009 5:42:13 AM
I wonder if John Cleese considers he married a gold digger?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5039340/John-Cleeses-divorce-why-he-is-not-alone-in-seeking-a-cut-price-settlement.html

Perhaps the term "Gold Digger," like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder?
 zerotasker
Msg: 18 (view)

No more Big Brother
Posted: 8/26/2009 10:26:54 AM
I guess the series is being cancelled because of the poor quality of "inmates", according to the comments on this thread.

I must admit I have not watched any of it except a few episodes of the celebrity version which was won by Jack Dee.

Perhaps if we approached channel four with a select list of regular Forumites, they might be tempted to bring it back.

Any suggestions for good candidates?
 zerotasker
Msg: 11 (view)

Is excitement a thing of the past when we are in our 40s plus?
Posted: 8/24/2009 4:10:47 AM
Age is but a number and your life is what YOU make of it.

Of course, you probably have to be past 40, maybe even 50, to understand that!
 zerotasker
Msg: 6 (view)

Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 4:06:50 AM
I suppose Sat-Navs are the modern equivalent to calculators. If you know what you are doing with a map, the Sat-Nav is brilliant in that you can keep going whilst it feeds you information and you do not have to stop to check the map. The best scenario is to have the Sat-Nav talking away and a passenger to check the map at the same time.

However, if you blindly follow what the Sat-Nav tells you, without you first having any idea of what the route is, sooner or later you will come a cropper.

Like calculators, you have to have some idea of what the final total is going to be, otherwise you will miss that your finger has hit the wrong button and entered a thousand rather than a hundred.

But (in best Yorkshire accent) you try and tell that to the yougsters today..... and they won't believe you!
 zerotasker
Msg: 45 (view)

fee charging ATMS
Posted: 8/18/2009 6:15:26 PM
The ATM companies are only filling the void left by the High Street Banks, who have been deserting the high streets by closing branches.

The Post Offices are also disappearing fast, so the pensioners are being forced to have their pension paid into a bank account.

I wonder how many of us could get by without a car? Just imagine if you were, say, in your 80s and had arthritis, or worse, in your knees? If you have not got family support, you will find that the walk to the nearest bank or post office has become a long, slow, painful ordeal. And, of course, you can probably only manage to physically carry enough groceries for one or two days.
 zerotasker
Msg: 45 (view)

Is America there yet? And do we have true racial equality in the UK?
Posted: 8/18/2009 8:03:40 AM
The simple answer is no, America is nowhere near having racial equality. I have lived there, on and off, since 2000 and I have seen prejudice from all "races" to all other "races" within a multi-cultural society.

But, IMHO, it is not a racial problem, but a problem with the human race itself. We are all happiest when we can identify with our "tribe!" All societies I have observed or been part of, will develop splits on not just a racial basis, but on a religious, a cultural - even on a football team basis.

This is an inherent trait, but as people grow, they take their tribal identity firstly from their parents and then from their peer group. As soon as they can read or watch TV, there are other influences on prejudiced attitudes. In the days before print or electronic media, the views from the pulpit on a Sunday was a major source of propaganda.

So we see the Protestants hate the Catholics, the Jews hating the Arabs, etc., even though, genetically, they are the same.

Parts of America have almost laughable prejudices still woven into their society. If you go to South Carolina, for example, you will find people who are still seething about their forefathers' treatment by them "damn Yankees" (northerners) in their Civil War. The Confederate flag can still be seen everywhere. Now attitudes like that MUST be learned because there are no living survivors of their Civil War.

As for the statement from a previous poster that the major factor in racism is contact with that race.......... well that is just BS of the highest order. All across the world, there is evidence of racist attitudes in people who have never even met a member of that race. Look at the attitudes across America towards the Japanese during WWII and in the cold war period towards the Chinese and Russians. The propaganda put out by the US government and media during both periods whipped up racist attitudes amongst large sections of the American public who had never been within 1000 miles of a Japanese or Russian or Chinese person. Prior to television, how many people in the UK or the USA had ever seen, let alone met, a Japanese person? Clearly it was a very small percentage of the population.

We all have the potential to be racist because we are humans. The difference between people with racist views and those without is, surely, the ability to think the situation through intelligently.
 zerotasker
Msg: 3 (view)

The difference between the way we perceive ourselves and the way others see us.
Posted: 8/16/2009 7:11:28 AM
Of course there can be big differences between the was we perceive ourselves and the way others perceive us.

Anybody who interacts with each of us brings their own emotional and intellectual makeup to that interaction. Plus they bring their experience of their lives to date.

To give a light-hearted example. Someone who has been badly treated in the past by someone with a Liverpool accent, or a Glasgow accent or any accent you may care to name, often cannot help but to be wary of, someone new who reminds them of that bad past experience. The same goes for people with any strong distinguishing characteristics. They will probably be perceived differently, often adversly, through no fault of their own.

But one's own perception of oneself can be faulty - have you ever heard a recording of your own speaking voice? Mine certainly sounds totally different to what I hear as I speak.
 zerotasker
Msg: 30 (view)

At just 11 is Brogan the most spolit child in Britain
Posted: 8/12/2009 10:54:37 AM
If the figures are to be believed - 15,ooo per year - just imagine if that amount were invested now for the girl.......... University fees,car at 17, deposit for a mortgage - maybe the entire cost of her first house! Not to mention a pension so that they can retire early.

There is more than one way to give a kid what they need in life. Perhaps it is the difference between giving a child what they need, as opposed to what they want?
 zerotasker
Msg: 31 (view)

When should mum stop being so much of a mum?
Posted: 8/12/2009 10:47:27 AM
Allwoman54 has hit the nail squarely on the head. A good, healthy, family relationship between parents and their children should continue throughout your lifetime.

My lovely old mum and dad (81 and 86 respectively) still sometimes talk to my sister (64) and I (57) as though we were hopeless teenagers! Far from being offended, we both realise that they care deeply and worry about us.

It would be easy to take offence when I am told that I should eat cabbage or celery or Marmite, (always hated all three) because they are good for me, but it always makes me smile. I wouldn't have it any other way, and anyone who is bothered by it should look hard at their own relationships and realise what they are missing.
 zerotasker

Your Pants Are Showing!
Posted: 8/12/2009 4:06:19 AM
The "fashion" for wearing trousers with the waistband low on the hips, exposing the underpants and positioning the crotch around knee level, comes from the USA where prisoners were issued with the wrong size (too large) uniforms. This "look" transferred to the streets, where it was seen as a way of declaring that the wearer had "done time." All those wishing for "street cred" jumped on that bandwagon. I am sure that most of the skinny, adolescent british males who adopt the low-slung look are not aware of the origin.

As with all fashion statements, those who copy it run the risk of looking ridiculous. This applies to women as well as men. I am sure we have all seen examples of women who dress like their teenage daughters. A few can get away with it, most cannot.

Even the universal replica football shirt, complete with sponsor's logo, can look ridiculous. It might look great when worn by a professional footballer with an athletic build, but when worn over a stomach that is not so much a six-pack, more a "party seven" it never fails to look awful.

MC Hammer's iconic pantaloons can be seen being worn by Yul Brynner in "The King and I" some thirty years earlier.

At least the "low-slung" look was original, a lot of the newest fashion looks are recycled from a few decades ago.
 zerotasker
Msg: 3 (view)

Jordan & Peter Andre in the papers
Posted: 8/10/2009 3:19:26 PM
ffrin (Msg 3) brings up an interesting comparison - Jordan and Princess Di. Just thinking it through, there are some striking similarities in the way they are regarded by the tabloid press and TV channels. Also striking is the way they both have used the media for their own ends.

Anyone else care to comment?
 zerotasker

What's wrong with being selfish?
Posted: 8/10/2009 10:22:28 AM
Well, Z, it doesn't really matter what dictionary you prefer, it does not change the meaning of the word to the world at large. As a previous poster hinted, you tell off little children who will not share - for being selfish!

As for personal comments, I think that anyone, not just you, who openly admits to being selfish (on a dating web site, of all places) in a thread about selfishness, is well worth a comment. If you don't wish your personal views commented on, then don't post them!
 zerotasker
Msg: 9 (view)

What's wrong with being selfish?
Posted: 8/10/2009 9:39:58 AM
Selfish is a "negative" term because......

selfish
–adjective
1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives

Whoops, bi of a slip-up confession there, Z! Now we all know your priorities!!
 zerotasker
Msg: 20 (view)

Dwarves
Posted: 8/4/2009 2:50:18 PM
Are you sure about that, Storm, Msg 20 ^^^^^^?

The way I heard it, the last time you had seven dwarves hammering on your bedroom door, in the end you had to get up and let them out!
 zerotasker
Msg: 7 (view)

Wanton neglect or over enthusiastic Social services?
Posted: 7/31/2009 3:06:20 AM
The more I read about the problems encountered by Social Services departments all over the country, the more I am convinced that they have a thankless, perhaps hopeless, task.

They seem to be damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

I am so pleased that I am not faced with the decisions that they have to make on a daily basis.

I did discover recently that Essex are recruiting managers from the USA because they cannot get the right quality of manager in the UK - a legacy of the "Baby P" case, no doubt!

In all parts of life, all industries, all workplaces, you will find jobsworths, lazy sods, incompetents, etc. In the areas where childrens' lives depend on, sometimes, instant decisions, I cannot see how anyone can get it right all the time.

I suppose the only thing that we, the general public, can do is insist on adequate funding and adequate quality control with regard to staffing - easier said than done!

Show ALL Forums