Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Nice guys finish last, are you one?
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 22 (view)

Nice guys finish last, are you one?
Posted: 12/25/2008 11:23:25 AM
Sheesh - what's all the fuss aboutfinishing last?

Seriously - who wants to be the first one into the ambush, minefield or thin ice on open water ... (i.e. "Fools rush in ... ") ... hello ... ??

Besides - what gentleman would want to finish first, anyway ... ???
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 40 (view)

Sore Throat (what heals one best?)
Posted: 12/25/2008 11:18:13 AM
If it's "just a sore throat", I have great success letting a chewable vitamin C dissolve in my mouth (I'm a big fan of the placebo effect, and in my mind ... ha! ... this lets the "C" get right to work!) - HOWEVER, if it's strepth throat ... D-O-C-T-O-R-!!!

Only other thought is if it's an ENT infection, you might have to do something about that cold/sinus infection first, in order to combat the post nasal drip that' s causing your throat to be sore ... (did I mention vitamin C is a mild, natural cold medicine?)

The "best kept secret" remedy I'd recommend is some super duper throat lozenges I bought in France - wish they were available in Canada: Tyrothricine _ vitamin C (brand name "Solutricine" - if anybody's vacationing in France, pick me up a couple of packages - it'll give us an excuse to have lunch!)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 30 (view)

Just an Honest Question...Do guys find intelligence and independance a turn off?
Posted: 12/25/2008 11:07:57 AM
Nope - sooner or later, ya gotta talk (looks only get ya so far ...) and, independence? ... much nicer than a lamprey eel or leech (just an honest answer, from one perspective).
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 15 (view)

armed forces restrictions
Posted: 9/24/2008 8:09:35 PM
Sorry, but I gotta jump in here - too many people jumping to conclusions (i.e. some answers certainly seem sensible ... but they're actually just "opinions" ...)

It's not necessarily "black and white" ...

Firstly - yes, there certainly are jobs which require varying degrees of "personnel security" (PERSEC), and/or "operational security" (OPSEC). However, going all the way to the furthest end of this spectrum ... you'll never even know if you've actually met one of these people ... (ironically ... this end of the spectrum is sometimes nicknamed "black ops" ... but ... I digress ...)

Secondly, in the "middle ground" of the spectrum ... think of many, many shades of gray ... there are a gazillion jobs with varying degrees of security ... and so, there are jobs where they shouldn't post their pictures online ... but some folks do, anyway ... and then there are jobs where they're relatively safe to post their pix online ... but they don't ... and ones who shouldn't who don't, and ones who can that do ... (head spinning ... eyes glazing over ... must ... keep ... reading ... zzzzz ...)

Okay, last but not least - yes, Virginia - there are "posers" who're in no danger (except from paper cuts, or splinters in their "chairborne" butts ...) but they like to sound mysterious ...

Sum up? The answer to the original question is simply "yes - there are certain jobs" ... however ... it's difficult to prove/disprove beyond the shadow of any doubt whether this particular individual is who he says he is (and, yes - there are also ways of finding out ... but this ain't normally gonna happen on a website like POF ...)

If anybody were to ask for my advice (and I freely admit nobody did or has) ...
Perhaps the simplest way to check out the story is to get a "2nd opinion" ... from somebody who actually "walks the walk", and doesn't just "talk the talk" ... $0.02
 MacGregrrrr
Msg: 17 (view)

Why are you here?
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:00:59 AM
I came seeking attraction, sadly still no satisfaction, now just here for the distraction ...
 MacGregrrrr

What does your profile name mean?
Posted: 8/2/2008 4:32:35 PM
My profile name means that I don't give out my phone number on the first e-date ...
(after I was on the receiving end of that regrettable stalking incident in 2003 ... shudder ...)

Clyde MacGregrrrr was my second Scottie (Scottish Terrier), adopted at the same time as my Westie Bonnie Dundee (White West Highland Terrier).
Hamish McTavish was my first Scottie, and now ... my roomies are ...
Sherlock Bones and ... Watson "Jock" MacFurrrrson ...!!!
(darn ... there's no "doggie" emoticon ... sigh ...)
 MacGregrrrr
Msg: 9 (view)

Stolen bikes found in Toronto
Posted: 8/2/2008 4:18:58 PM
Yup - a while back, we had a rash of bike thefts in our neighbourhood.
So, I decided it was a good time to take my expensive bike off the road (I won't say how much it was, or else I'll have "bike rustlers" hunting it down ... ha!)
Then, I picked up a used bike from a pawn shop (where they're required by law to record serial numbers and allow the police to check them ...)
Horror or horrors ... when I got home with my new/used bike, I Googled it out of curiousity ... only to discover it's worth ... well, again ... I won't say exactly how much ... suffice it to say I'm still at risk of having my "cheaper" bicycle stolen ... sigh ...

I remember something about "All bicycles weigh fifty pounds. A thirty-pound bicycle needs a twenty-pound lock. A forty-pound bicycle needs a ten-pound lock. A fifty-pound bicycle doesn't need a lock."
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 78 (view)

Added to Favourites list
Posted: 9/2/2007 4:11:48 AM
^^^^^^ Understood, however ... sometimes people set their "restrictions" such that ya'd like to e-mail somebody and say "yup - I agree with what you said" ... but ... their settings won't allow you to write them ... so ... clicking on "add to my favourites" is the only way left to send a signal ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 232 (view)

for xdancex and his remark about dogs
Posted: 8/27/2007 6:35:25 PM
^^^ Jeez - I'd sure hate to see how you post when you're REALLY ticked off (ha!)
Wish I knew what xdancex said that set you off ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 3 (view)

Hockey question...
Posted: 8/26/2007 4:29:32 PM
Whoops - forgot to add those games on the pond, or road hockey ...
Like they say: "Hockey - it's our game."
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 2 (view)

Hockey question...
Posted: 8/26/2007 4:24:51 PM
I read an article on this topic (so therefore I'm an expert ... hahaha!)

Basically, there are certain "defining moments" in history, which in turn become "markers" in a person's life.
From another era, folks remember where they were the day that Marilyn Bell swam Lake Ontario.
Others remember where they were when peace was announced in 1945.
More recently, you might remember where you were when you learned of Princess Di's death.
And, perhaps the most obvious moment in recent memory - 9/11.

So, for hockey enthusiasts (and for many Canadians), they remember where they were the moment Paul Henderson scored the winning goal in the final game (many schools cancelled classes and had televisions in their auditoriums, and I remember being if a friend's basement - others can tell you exactly where they were, too).

Perhaps the importance/significance of the event depends on whether a person accepts the fact that hockey is Canada's national winter game (lacrosse being our summer sport).

However, an oft-heard lament is that Canadians lack a "national identity" - thus, you have many who "don't care" about hockey (and prefer to follow more heavily-marketed American sports such as NFL football, AL/NL baseball, NBA basketball, or UFC fighting)

As an aside, I curse Bettman for selling out our national sport (I've suspected for ages that he's a Fifth Column quisling for his previous employer, the NBA ... especially when he allowed the NHL to go out on strike thereby eliminating any competition for the NBA and NFL in the television ratings ...) ... but ... I digress ...

Those Canadians who love hockey can tell you about certain games (e.g. when Gordie Howe taught a young Russian player during the '74 WHA-Russia series that it's a bad idea to run afoul of Mr. Hockey's elbows in the corner ... I can still remember the slow-mo replay when they showed the young Russky's head snapping backwards and his Jofa helmet straining at it's chinstrap ... or there was the '76 Canada Cup series when my housemates and I staked out our corner in the Embassy Tavern so we could watch Sittler vs. Magilla The Gorilla ... or when Bobby Orr stepped onto the ice at Maple Leaf Gardens in that same series, and the standing ovation went on, and on, and on ...)

For those to whom hockey is a national icon, or a passion ... it's crystal clear.

But, hey - what do I know? I can still remember the Leafs winning in '67 ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 45 (view)

The 'F word
Posted: 8/26/2007 4:03:30 PM
At work we refer to over-usage of profanity as a "lack of vocabulary", which in turn suggests a lack of intellect.

And, I'm with the guy waaaay back on page one, who chastises others who swear in front of his kid - I do the same, and the reaction is "telling" ... (i.e. those who realise they erred are swift to apologise, whereas those whose "eyes glaze over" ... well ... it borders upon being a waste of time to try and explain to them why they shouldn't swear in front of impressionable children, possibly because it's how they themselves were raised and they don't know anything different ... but ... it never hurts to try - who knows? It might just make a difference for some other little kid ... or a grownup who hasn't grown up yet ...)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 1 (view)

Hash House Harriers Harrased by Humourless Hokey Small-Town Bumpkins
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:54:22 AM
Sheesh - can you believe the lack of a sense of humour on the part of the local yokels?

Running club members face felony charges for scare at store in Conn.
By CARA RUBINSKY

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - Two people who sprinkled flour in a parking lot to mark a trail for their offbeat running club inadvertently caused a bioterrorism scare and now face a felony charge.

The sprinkled powder forced hundreds to evacuate an IKEA furniture store Thursday.

New Haven ophthalmologist Daniel Salchow, 36, and his sister, Dorothee, 31, who is visiting from Hamburg, Germany, were both charged with first-degree breach of peace, a felony.

The siblings set off the scare while organizing a run for a local chapter of the Hash House Harriers, a worldwide group that bills itself as a "drinking club with a running problem."

"Hares" are given the task of marking a trail to direct runners, throwing in some dead ends and forks as challenges. On Thursday, the Salchows decided to route runners through the massive IKEA parking lot.

Police fielded a call just before 5 p.m. that someone was sprinkling powder on the ground. The store was evacuated and remained closed the rest of the night. The incident prompted a massive response from police in New Haven and surrounding towns.

Daniel Salchow biked back to IKEA when he heard there was a problem and told officers the powder was just harmless flour, which he said he and his sister have sprinkled everywhere from New York to California without incident.

"Not in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate anything like that," he said.

Mayoral spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said the city plans to seek restitution from the Salchows, who are due in court Sept. 14.

"You see powder connected by arrows and chalk, you never know," she said. "It could be a terrorist, it could be something more serious. We're thankful it wasn't, but there were a lot of resources that went into figuring that out."
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 15 (view)

Is common courtesy gone??
Posted: 8/26/2007 4:51:51 AM
In answer to the OP: Nope, but it's less common than "the good ole days ...".
I suspect some parents may have neglected to teach their children some of the "finer points" of life such as holding the door open for the person behind you, or acknowledging the existence of another person by something as simple as saying "Hello" when you pass them on the sidewalk (the urchin in me enjoys the looks of bewilderment, astonishment and even panic when I say anything to a stranger when I'm out for a stroll)
It's kinda sad that so many people are afraid of a man saying "Good Day" to them, so I usually confine my greetings to when I'm walking my dogs or when I'm with my son - apparently I'm less of an "ogre" when I've got the pooches or my boy with me ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 27 (view)

Oshawa's new city slogan.
Posted: 8/25/2007 2:41:46 PM
Darn - I was enjoying a moment of righteous indignation at the notion that $100,000 of taxpayers money was wasted on Oshawa's new slogan ... until somebody pricked my "smug balloon" and pointed out that Toronto wasted $4 FRIKKIN' MILLION on an even MORE LAME slogan ... gggrrrrrrr!!!
No wonder T.O. has a cash crisis, with incredible stupidity like that in City Hall ...
(now, where's my USPS jacket, so I can dress up for the part ... GGGRRRRRRR ...)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 29 (view)

Pic Requests
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:37:24 AM
^^^^ What she said!
 macgregrrrr

Anyone else losing their Optimism?
Posted: 8/24/2007 2:43:06 PM
I'd prefer to say "I harbour no delusions (fantasy or allusions) about sitting back and just letting 'my rest-of-my-life-best-friend' trip over me on POF ...".
 macgregrrrr

Scientist fired for testing hubbie's undies for female DNA
Posted: 8/21/2007 1:56:56 PM
Personally, my hat's off to this woman (for catching her no-good POS husband cheating on her). I hope she'll be rehired quickly (and, as far as her two-timing husband ... his loss - I also hope she moves on, and finds a man worthy of her!)

Scientist fired for testing hubbie's undies for female DNA

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A state forensics scientist who said she tested her husband’s underwear for DNA to determine if he was cheating on her has been fired.

Ann Chamberlain of Okemos testified in a March 7 divorce hearing that she ran the test last September on the underwear of Charles Gordon Jr. Asked by his attorney what she found, she answered:“Another female. It wasn’t me.”

She said during another hearing that she ran the test on her own time with expired chemicals that were set to be thrown away.

The Michigan State Police, which oversees the Lansing forensics laboratory where Chamberlain worked, announced Tuesday that it had fired her effective Aug. 16 after conducting an internal investigation into violations of department administrative policy.

State police policies dealing with the care and use of property state that “department supplies, materials or equipment shall not be used for any non-duty or non-department purpose.”

Chamberlain could not immediately be located for comment. A phone listed for Ann Chamberlain in Okemos was disconnected.

The 33-year-old scientist received an award for Outstanding Contribution to the Michigan State Police Biological Services in 2006 for her research and method development in embryonic/fetal DNA recovery, according to Forensic Science Consultants Inc., which lists her among the forensic scientists it employs.
 macgregrrrr

It's about time they changed this law!
Posted: 8/21/2007 11:10:28 AM
Once their law is changed, it would no longer be acceptable to plead drunkenness as an excuse (i.e. mitigating factor) ... at least in Britain ...

Drunken killer screamed 'Die, you b******d' at stricken victim Robert
MICHAEL HOWIE
HOME AFFAIRS CORRESPONDENT (mhowie@scotsman.com)
ROBERT Gardner was only yards from his girlfriend's home, just minutes from safety, when two strangers demanded he hand over alcohol from his bag.

Mr Gardner refused, triggering an attack so violent that even experienced police officers were horrified.

He was chased and pinned to the ground before being punched, kicked and stabbed. One of his attackers then smashed his head with a paving stone.

The senselessness of the 32-year-old's death was summed up by his sister who said he was simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

The murder took place in a Port Glasgow street after Mr Gardner had refused to hand over a drink from his carryout.

Yesterday his murderers, Matthew McFadden, 22, and Andrew Spark, 23 - who were said to have been drinking heavily on the night of the attack - were jailed for a total of 35 years for the assault that detectives described as "horrendous".

After the sentence was imposed at the High Court in Glasgow, Mr Gardner's sister, Catherine Bonnar, from Greenock, used three short words to describe the pair: "Mindless evil thugs."

"They murdered my brother just for badness. He had £50 in cash on him, a mobile phone and a gold chain, but they never touched those.

"They were just interested in violence and killed a total stranger for kicks.

"He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was almost at his girlfriend's home when they attacked him. He didn't have a chance.

"These animals have devastated our whole family by murdering Robert. At least they will be off the streets for a long, long time."

McFadden, who screamed "die you **stard" as he smashed in Mr Gardner's skull with a paving stone, was ordered to serve at least 20 years behind bars, while co-accused Spark, from Gourock, who stabbed Mr Gardner as he lay dying in the street, was jailed for a minimum of 15 years.

Jailing them, Lord Hardie said they had taken part in "a murderous attack".

He told McFadden that by uttering the phrase "die you **stard" he indicated it was his intention to kill Gardner.

He added: "It was a murderous attack and clearly wicked and reckless to bring a heavy piece of concrete down on a person's head."

The court heard that Mr Gardner, a labourer in a sweet factory, was killed because he did not "show enough respect" to the two thugs when they encountered him in Southfield Avenue, Port Glasgow, in the early hours of 30 April last year.

A pathologist told the court that Mr Gardner was probably hit four or five times with the slab and stabbed once.

The fatal injury was caused by the concrete fracturing his skull and causing brain damage.

Last night outraged community leaders and politicians said the attack highlighted the havoc that continues to be wreaked in communities across Scotland by alcohol-fuelled violence.

Trish Godman MSP, whose West Renfrewshire constituency includes Port Glasgow, said she simply could not understand either the randomness of the attack or the violence involved. "I find it impossible to imagine," she said.

"We have to work out what it is that makes people capable of carrying out such violence on someone who was simply walking along the street."

She said alcohol was clearly a "contributory factor" in violent street crime in Scotland.

"Alcohol is something we have to look at, as is drugs. But there has always been alcohol and people didn't always react like this."

She added: "We have reached the stage where we have to let people know that this sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable."

Conservative justice spokesman Bill Aitken, MSP, said: "The case is both tragic and all-too-typical of how drink-fuelled senseless violence erupts and a man loses his life.

"Scotland is going to have to get to grips with this entire problem of drink and violence.

"We cannot continue as we are. The number of murders over the last few weeks has been deeply disturbing and early action is going to have to be taken to allow people to feel secure as they walk the streets at night."

ALCOHOL IN DOCK AGAIN
THE conviction of two men over the murder of Robert Gardner comes as Scotland continues its battle with rising rates of alcohol-fuelled violence.

Earlier this year, police forces across the country linked an increase in violent crime with binge-drinking.

In 2006-7 there were almost 14,000 violent crimes - up 2.4 per cent on the previous year.

Doctors are also reporting a steady increase in the number of assault victims attending A&E where alcohol abuse is linked to their injuries.

Alcohol-related violence is thought to be responsible for nearly 30,000 admissions to Scottish hospitals each year.

The link between alcohol and violence is also evident in Scotland's courtrooms.

In May, two young men were jailed for a minimum of 16 years for stabbing to death a complete stranger.

Derek Morgan, 21, and Lloyd Patterson, 22, armed themselves with knives before a night out in Glenrothes, Fife, where they attacked 24-year-old Craig Archer. Alcohol was implicated.

With a seemingly unstoppable toll of death and violence linked to alcohol, police and politicians are desperately searching for solutions.

Kenny MacAskill, Holyrood's justice secretary, announced a change in the law to ensure accused cannot use drunkenness as mitigation in court.

The Executive is also considering tougher sentences for those who commit acts of violence while drunk and police are planning a nationwide crackdown.
 macgregrrrr

Je me souviens, R22R
Posted: 8/21/2007 7:54:42 AM

Roadside bomb claims Vandoos rifleman
Christie Blatchford
August 20, 2007

MASUM GHAR, Afghanistan -- In this beautiful place perched atop the green Arghandab River plain, before the sun was even up yesterday over ochre-coloured stony hills, the young men of Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion, the Royal 22nd Regiment, gathered in anguished knots, clamping one another in brief, fierce embraces, consoling the most stricken with a clap on the back or a tender rub of a bent head.

Like other Canadian regiments before them, the Vandoos of Valcartier, Que., came to the volatile Panjwai region about 30 kilometres west of Kandahar and were blooded, if not in combat proper, then in what is increasingly becoming the Afghan alternative to it - a roadside bombing.

It happened about the time that back home, Canadians were thinking of doing something about dinner on Saturday night, which in southern Afghanistan was eight and a half hours later, the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Private Simon Longtin, a 23-year-old rifleman with Charlie Company's 2 Platoon, was in the tight confines of the driver's seat of one of the platoon's light armoured vehicles, or LAVs, the lethally armed workhorse of the Canadian fleet here.

Print Edition - Section Front
Enlarge Image

More Front Page Stories
A North American road to nowhere
Canadian Forces knew Snowbirds had faulty lap belts for 5 years
Taking the bounce out of backyard trampolines
The boyish charm of a fallen Vandoo
All but one section of the platoon was in the convoy, heading back to this small forward operating base from the sprawling coalition headquarters at Kandahar Air Field (KAF) after making a routine resupply run.

They were about five kilometres east of the Masum Ghar base, and safety, when the improvised explosive device (IED) blew.

"I hate to be a realist," Charlie's red-eyed officer commanding, Major Patrick Robichaud, told The Globe and Mail just hours later, "but sometimes when your clock stops ticking ... it could stop when you're crossing the street. The IED hit the driver's compartment; he took the brunt of it. Everyone else is okay - no bumps. The vehicle works; he [Pte. Longtin] was just unlucky."

Back at Masum Ghar, the first obvious sign that something was up were the rounds launched by Leopard 1 tanks, echoing up and down the valley; the convoy was ambushed after the IED blast.

The young man was described by the battle group commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Alain Gauthier and his regimental sergeant-major, Chief Warrant Officer Pierre Marchand, as an intense, loyal and thoroughly professional soldier and, RSMMarchand added, one "extremely proud to wear the uniform, and an extremely proud Canadian and Québécois."

From the Montreal area, Pte. Longtin joined the Vandoos two years ago and, like the rest of the battle group, spent all that time training in places as far flung as Fort Bliss, Tex., and Wainwright, Alta., forming bonds that would have endured for his life.

Like most of the Vandoos, Pte. Longtin has been in Afghanistan only about three weeks. It was just 10 days ago that the battle group formally took over operations here in the south from the one led by the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment, which is based in Gagetown, N.B.

The IED was on a road that has been bombed before - most recently, a week ago yesterday when five Canadians travelling in a heavily armoured RG-31 were mildly injured in a blast - and likely will be again.

Hours after Pte. Longtin had been evacuated first to a little forward base at Gundy Ghar and then choppered to the modern hospital at the airfield where he was pronounced dead on arrival, the Vandoos found two more unexploded IEDs on other Panjwai area roads.

A recent clearance of one road near Masum Ghar - it has 72 culverts and took three days of steady work in the broiling sun - saw soldiers discover three more potential IED sites dug in, the third added in the hours between the time the troops searched one section of the road and came back the next day to start again.

Such bombings, whether by IEDs buried in the roads or carried in by suicide bomber, is the turn the battle in this country has taken thus far this summer. Though the traditional "fighting season" in Afghanistan doesn't end until October and the onset of winter, last summer and even into the fall, Canadian soldiers here - first from the 1st and 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based respectively in Edmonton and Shilo, Man., and then from the 1st RCR of Petawawa, Ont. - were in near constant combat with the Taliban in the Panjwai and Zhari areas just west of Kandahar city.

In Operation Medusa alone, launched last September, Canadian commanders believe more than 1,000 Taliban, including some senior leaders, were killed.

But since April, 18 of the 21 Canadian fatalities, most suffered by the 2nd RCR, were caused by bombs.

As Lt.-Col. Gauthier said yesterday, "It's not a surprise, and it's probably going to get worse. The enemy will not fight us face to face; the only way they can get at us is IEDs. We've got to keep going; we've got to patrol even more; we've got to be even more present, eyes open."

While it might appear that the toll of young Canadian lives could be eliminated if Canada had its own troop-and-supply-carrying helicopters - its former Chinooks were sold years ago to the Dutch, who still use them in Afghanistan - they couldn't replace the need for soldiers patrolling the ground either by armoured vehicle or on foot, as they do now.

Indeed, it was after such a highly successful "presence patrol," meant to maintain the tremulous but tangible security painfully restored, at the price of so many Canadian lives, to the Panjwai district, that Pte. Longtin was killed.

On Saturday morning, a Charlie Company platoon led by 24-year-old Lieutenant Marie-Christine Alamy, moved through the once deserted village of Bazar-e-Panjwai, its market now bustling.

Scores of children streamed from mud-walled compounds as the Vandoos arrived. The youngsters were especially captivated by Corporal Gordon Boivin, a strapping 31-year-old from Sorrel, Que., who sang to them until they began parroting his nonsensical song, and followed this armed-to-the-teeth pied piper through the dusty streets.

As well-prepared as the Vandoos are, as aware of the risks and the seemingly omnipresent bombers, knowing they were unlikely to be spared and even speaking frankly of the possibility, like young soldiers everywhere they were brimming with optimism and an odd certainty that they would be exempt.

In their short time at Masum Ghar, members of Charlie Company have made the place their own, decorating the open air tents that sit between their parked LAVs and their sleeping quarters - some with tiny Canadian flags, one with a tiny doll labelled "Taliban" hanging from the entrance.

For all the hullabaloo that accompanied their departure from home - there were protests, the news full of public-opinion polls showing the Afghanistan mission is much more unpopular in Quebec than in the rest of Canada and pictures of weeping relatives saying goodbye - the Vandoos are just like other Canadian soldiers.

As Major Jean-Sébastien Fortin, part of the Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team (OMLT) based at Masum Ghar, said the other day, "In the army, we all speak the same language. We have the same values."

He was referring to the difficulty of communicating with his Afghan National Army counterparts, whom he already adores unreservedly, but he might have been talking of the Vandoos.

Separate but equal, and now equal too in pain. If only the nation could bear up as well as those young men I saw yesterday, through their tears packing up their dead friend's barrack box and rucksack.

The boyish charm of a fallen Vandoo
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Christie Blatchford
August 21, 2007 at 7:40 AM EDT

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN — God but he seems to have been a funny, warm young man.

In one of the pictures the Canadian military gave reporters here yesterday, Private Simon Longtin, clearly on exercise and wearing the dark green camouflage soldiers wear when training at home, has his fingers in his ears as a friend uses his shoulder to steady the aim of his rifle; Pte. Longtin appears full of mischief, and indeed that is just how his buddies here remember him.

In a video from YouTube, he is the guy you see only at the tail end of a 120-second clip called Sleeping Man Owned; almost the whole of the video is of another young man (by the tattoo across his back, and the sweet, utterly hairless chest, another young soldier) snoozing on a couch, his mouth agape.

In the rest, only Pte. Longtin's hand and a bit of his arm are shown, because of course he's the guy pouring Tabasco into his sleeping friend's mouth and it's Pte. Longtin's voice giggling madly as the friend first licks his lips in his sleep, makes a face, and then wakes up with his mouth on fire. Pte. Longtin's face shows up only in the last shot; he's still giggling.

Those were boyish pranks, the typical innocent stuff of young males in groups, but Pte. Longtin (Longwong to his buddies, two of them, Private Jean-Philippe Auclair, 21, and Private Scott Bernier, 19, admitted yesterday, grinning as they said it) was no boy.

He had a girl, and was in love, Pte. Auclair said. He was close to his family. He was a serious, professional soldier with deadly responsibilities - he drove an eight-wheeled light armoured vehicle, or LAV-3, over some of the most lethal and treacherous ground in the world, carried a weapon and knew how to use it, and shared with his fellows the life-and-death burden of looking after one another.

They are all so young, and so old.

The day before Pte. Longtin was killed by an improvised explosive device that blew up under the driver's compartment of his LAV-3, I was at the forward operating base at Masum Ghar, about 30 klicks west of Kandahar, where he was stationed with most of the rest of Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion of the Royal 22nd Regiment.

There is a lot of waiting-around time in soldiering - for tasks; for orders; for tasks and orders to change as they so often do - and I was talking for a while to Captain Blair McNaught, a 27-year-old from Port Hope, Ont. with recce platoon. (The Vandoos, as the Royal 22nd are also called, may be a proud francophone regiment, but they have a sizable number of anglophones from across the country. Capt. McNaught is one of several young men I spoke to who, while schooled in French in other provinces, only embraced with enthusiasm their second language, shall we say, when they found themselves with delight in the embrace of a French girlfriend.) Somehow, we got talking about the enormous discussions and decisions soldiers have to have and make.

Capt. McNaught said that before he deployed to Kandahar, he prepared a big package - updated will and documents; his banking and investment information; spare keys, and letters to his family. The latter, he said, were so difficult to write, but sometimes, he said, when you talk to your folks and "you're kind of, 'whatever.' " He was haunted by the thought that if the worst happened, his parents might be left with such a conversation as their last one with him.

I told him of a soldier I knew, just 21 when he was killed in action here last summer, who left such letters for his mom and dad, telling them how he loved them so, and how comforted they were. The relief on Capt. McNaught's face was plain.

Or consider the next few days facing Pte. Auclair.

He is the escort officer for his great friend, Pte. Longtin; the two knew one another as civilians, shared an apartment at one point, and trained together for the past two years.

The job description of escort officer probably would go like this: "Accompany the body of fallen soldier home," but the task is far more profound and complex than that.

Pte. Auclair will sit with his dead friend in the Hercules aircraft taking him on the long trip home, first to Trenton, and then Toronto, where all soldier autopsies are performed, and then either to Valcartier, where the 3rd Battalion is based, or the Montreal area where Pte. Longtin's family lives; he will greet the weeping parents (and they will want to know how Pte. Longtin was, was he happy, when did he last speak to him?) and Pte. Longtin's girl; he will make sure his friend is dressed properly, that the casket is lifted and moved with proper honour; at various places, he will walk into rows of cameras and dignitaries he may not even recognize; always, he will have to find the right words for those whose world has collapsed.

And Pte. Auclair will do all this, of course, seriously and gracefully, because Pte. Longtin would have done it for him, and because it's right, and because he loved his brother in arms.

Ptes. Auclair and Bernier met a few reporters at the Kandahar base yesterday, to talk about their friend.

They were composed, though Pte. Auclair wept several times. They said two important things, one that they loved Pte. Longtin and will never forget him, the other that they believe even more deeply in the Afghanistan mission, and will get on with the job.

Not two hours later, the ramp service was held on the tarmac. As usual, it was brief, moving and formal. Those carrying Pte. Longtin's casket held it together pretty well until they got closer to the worst sight in their world - the gaping maw of the waiting Herc, its belly empty but for a huge Canadian flag draped across it. A few faces crumpled; some of the young men cried.

It was retired Lieutenant-Colonel Roméo Dallaire in his book Shake Hands with the Devil who, quoting a grizzled old army padre he asked for advice when deciding if he should enlist, wrote: "Aaah, soldiers.

"You know, soldiers are very unusual people.

"On the outside, they are the hardest, most demanding, severe people, but underneath that they are the most human, the most feeling, the most emotionally attached people who exist."

cblatchford@globeandmail.com

Family statement

A statement last night from Private Simon Longtin's family echoed the comments of his fellow Vandoos in recent days, painting a picture of a young soldier who embraced military life and his mission in Afghanistan.

"It is never easy for parents to lose one of their children," the statement said. "We are devastated by the death of our Simon, who left us in dignity while proudly serving his country with tremendous honour, amongst his brothers in arms in Afghanistan."

The family, requesting privacy as they grieve, remembered Pte. Longtin as a soldier committed to the cause and always looking out for his friends. CP
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 6 (view)

A Canadian Hero
Posted: 8/21/2007 7:48:18 AM
Always reminds me of:

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for another.
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 28 (view)

Family is banned from buffet for not cleaning their plates
Posted: 8/20/2007 7:15:24 PM
Sounds like there might be "more than meets the eye" ...

... Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits. ... Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again ...

Not certain what jurisdiction they live in, but if they were deliberately loading up plates only to throw it out - sort of like "buffet vandalism" - they were breaking their contract with the restaurant (i.e. "all you can eat", vice "all you can throw out" ... ?)
And, if there was a pattern of this behaviour, they could have been charged with harassing the restaurant (i.e. imagine somebody had a grudge against a buffet restaurant - they could try and put a dent in their profits by repeatedly loading up their plate/incurring costs but not eating any of it, thereby also depriving other customers of the food ...).
As much as I get annoyed sometimes when people play "devil's advocate" with me ... I'm leaning towards siding with the restaurant owner ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 1009 (view)

What is wrong with the persons profile above you in this thread?
Posted: 8/20/2007 7:06:00 PM
She makes entirely too much sense (with regard to carnivores ... ha!)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 20 (view)

Okay...Where are all the single men in Toronto Hiding?
Posted: 8/12/2007 6:45:53 PM
Add the hockey rink, the tennis/squash courts, and swimming pools (adult lane swims)
You'll find fewer couch pots ... er, um ... potbellies ... oops ... potatoes ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 159 (view)

Whats with women that invite their dogs into the bedroom to sleep?
Posted: 8/12/2007 10:24:13 AM
My dogs were curled up at my feet as I waded through these eight pages of "dogs, no dogs" ...
Although I disagree with the extent/fervour of "wafta's" views, I do agree with this:

... should be allowed to live in their own comfort zone ...

My dogs have their favourite places (e.g. under the futon sofa, sprawled/splayed out like Superman on the cool tile floor, the driver's seat when I'm not driving ...)
And, ya know what? They also like to curl up at my feet - so, who am I to drive them away? (ditto for my son when he's frightened by noises in the night - considerable literature exists as to the concept of co-sleeping, e.g. that "Wicked" online encyclo-Pedia ... which is all I can say, due to predilication towards censorship by the Forum Nazi's ... but ... I digress ...)
As previously stated by several knowledgable posts, they're "pack animals" (and, yes - I, too, was surprised nobody else cottoned on to "Three Dog Night" ... but I guess it's an acquired taste ... ha!)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 62 (view)

nawwww.. this isn't working for me
Posted: 8/12/2007 4:53:07 AM
At last! TRUE kindred spirits ... (hahaha!)
I find myself nodding in agreement with so many comments in this thread.
Perhaps the corollary to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" could be:

if it ain't workin' for ya, maybe it simply ain't workin' for ya ... (and so, just how much time, energy and effort are ya interested/have available to invest in; A. fixing it, or B. movin' on ...?)"

Just thinkin' aloud here ... but, whadda I know ... ? :fish:
 macgregrrrr

NittyGrittyBramaChingWingDing
Posted: 8/6/2007 5:16:09 AM

Brampton’s Summer Festival
Event runs rain or shine, so please dress accordingly
Absolutely NO PERSONAL FIREWORKS allowed in the park
Join us from 11am to 9:30pm for an action-packed and entertaining day of fun and excitement.
Campbell Amusements Midway rides
Monday, August 6th From 11:00am - 9:30pm
Fireworks at 9:30pm sharp

Where do you park?
Free Lots outside the park:
Bramalea City Centre
Civic Centre
Hanover Road Public School
Howden Recreation Centre
Lester B. Pearson Catholic School
Hilldale Public School
Greenbriar Recreation Centre
Chinguacousy Secondary School
Terry Miller Recreation Centre
St. Jean Brebeuf Catholic School
Parking at the Donald M. Gordon Chinguacousy Park is $2.00 per vehicle - No in/out privileges.

Paid Parking ($2.00)
Fire Life Safety Building (along Central Park Drive), extended to Hilldale Crescent
Ski Chalet
Curling Club
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 43 (view)

Don't get intimate with my body and I won't get intimate with your wallet!!!
Posted: 8/6/2007 5:09:05 AM
Duh. If money's the first thing on ANYBODY's mind ... next!
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 6 (view)

Would you leave a friend stranded?
Posted: 8/4/2007 4:50:19 AM
^^^ Ha! You just reminded me of the time I used my goalie pads in order to push somebody else's car with mine (which reminds me of the time I dug a stranded German tourist out of the snow with my goalie stick ... but ... I digress ...)

A particularly memorable phone call at approximately 2:30 a.m. comes to mind - a friend had been out drinking (excessively) and he'd missed the last subway - so, since he had the good sense to phone me instead of trying to drive home ... how could I say "no"? Ironically, on the way home the radiator hose on my car came loose, so at around 3:30 in the morning he showed me how to make a screwdriver with a pair of Vice Grips and a dime ... (still under the influence of "Al", I might add ...)

When somebody calls for help, answer. If they're only calling for attention, pay attention ... and then go back to sleep (chuckle!)
P.S. (I've also had to bundle my sleeping son into the truck in order to rescue somebody in the middle of the night in winter ... but I figured it was an important life lesson for the little fellah ...)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 148 (view)

Cell Phones On a Date,Do You Really Need It?
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:28:51 AM
Perhaps it boils down to one's priorities ... ?
For example, I was out of the office when my mother suffered a stroke - thus, my cell phone was her lifeline ... (and, just to be perfectly clear on this - seriously, would you REALLY want to date somebody who got jealous or insulted by the fact their date said: "Sorry - my mother just called - she's had a stroke, and needs my help .. we'll have to continue this date some other time, but right now I've got to go to the hospital ...")
Frankly, I respect those who keep a proper perspective on life.
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 7 (view)

Okay...Where are all the single men in Toronto Hiding?
Posted: 7/31/2007 3:54:40 AM
Too funny! And here I was, thinking it was all the single women who were hiding ...
 macgregrrrr

If you had a choice, Jeep Rubicon or TJ Saraha?
Posted: 7/29/2007 5:11:27 AM
4 Wheel drive costs more to maintain, so if you're not going to use it too often
(my Suburban is only 2 wheel drive, and I've never been stuck ... thus, perhaps "technique" might be an affordable alternative ... ?)

My buddy just bought a brand new Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - his logic was the Rubicon has too many fancy-shmancy parts ... and, as already noted - it's new, he knows nobody else/previous owner hasn't trashed it, and they've got discount plans coming out their ears (or so he claims ...)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 35 (view)

Prisoner in one's own home
Posted: 7/28/2007 8:05:10 PM
Wow - judging by some previous posts, some folks have been taking their grumpy pills ... (or else they haven't been taking their legally prescribed "happy" meds ...?)
Sheesh - would it really hurt that much to show a little compassion, or better still - if you can't bring yourself to be civil, simply button your lip (and avoid castigating a person for expressing their true feelings) ... ?

Notwithstanding the allegations that the initial murder of the gay bartender may have happened in a moment of panic, the subsequent murder of the two grandparents in their country home is truly frightening for people who similarly live in the countryside (and, you may recall police mentioning they believed firearms may have been removed from the home ... which shows that even an armed citizen can be murdered when taken by surprise ... but ... I digress ...)

Personally, I've had four murders in a one block radius - after each one, I breathed a little easier (especially when I discovered two were drug-related, and the double murder was in an after hours booze can - since I don't do drugs and don't frequent after hour booze cans ...)

In the navy, there's an expression called "chasing the splash" - during a naval battle, back when warships used to fire cannons at each other, the ships would steer towards the splash of the last shot that missed - the logic being that it was nigh on impossible to hit the exact same spot again ...

Now, back to the here and now: As intimated in a few posts, the murderer is likely long gone by now - thus, the people in the initial search area can "probably" lighten up ... however, it's no coincidence that the police have issued a "Canada-wide" arrest warrant and described the suspect as "armed and dangerous" - quite simply, he is.

And so, since I'm not allowed to carry a weapon with me when I'm off duty, and body armour is simply sooooo hot and heavy in this weather ... I lock my doors at night, and stay away from dangerous neighbourhoods. In other words, I don't take unnecessary risks ... and I don't lose sleep over things I can't control (e.g. people don't even have to step off the curb these days, and yet they still get run over by drunk drivers ...).

Here endeth the sermon.

... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.

-- FDR
 macgregrrrr

Cool Promotions
Posted: 7/28/2007 6:53:16 PM
Take your pick: Dinner, a movie, a walk on the boardwalk/in the park, people-watching from an outdoor cafe/at the mall ... one (or all) of these could be yours ...

Just dial 1-800-ASK-MACGREGRRRR ... (hahahahaaha~!)
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 18 (view)

Question posed to me today...your thoughts please
Posted: 7/28/2007 12:57:44 PM

^^^^^^ why do peole insist on posting definitions is it really neccessary?

^^^^^^ Why? Perhaps for clarity ... and the fun of etymology, of course.
(and perhaps because all readers aren't necessarily rocket scientists ...)

-- peole:
Class: Communications. Destination: Medium Earth Orbit. Nation: France. Agency: CNES.
Peole Chronology:
1970 December 12 - Peole - Launch Site: Kourou. Launch Vehicle: Diamant B. Mass: 70 kg (154 lb).
Perigee: 634 km (393 mi). Apogee: 750 km (460 mi). Inclination: 15.00 deg. Period: 98.60 min.
Gathered data from meteorological balloon system.
Typical orbit: 634 km x 750 km at 15 degrees inclination. Mass: 70 kg (154 lb).
 macgregrrrr

Pic Requests
Posted: 7/28/2007 11:42:40 AM
I've got nothing to hide, and I'm happy with who I am.
Accordingly, I'm not "into" the old "opposites attract" thing ...
(i.e. I'd prefer to meet folks who've similarly got nothing to hide and who are happy with who they are ... as opposed to others with something/lots to hide and/or are NOT happy with who they are ...)
Life's too short.
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 16 (view)

Question posed to me today...your thoughts please
Posted: 7/28/2007 11:29:16 AM
It's more than possible to "admire" ... the delightful miracle or wonders of a marvelous woman ...

-- admire:
Pronunciation: &d-'mI(-&)r
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ad·mired; ad·mir·ing
Etymology: Middle French admirer, to marvel at, from Latin admirari, from ad- + mirari to wonder, from mirus astonishing
transitive verb
1 : to regard with admiration
2 archaic : to marvel at

-- admiration:
Pronunciation: "ad-m&-'rA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 archaic : WONDER
2 : an object of esteem
3 : delighted or astonished approbation

-- wonder:
Pronunciation: 'w&n-d&r
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wundor; akin to Old High German wuntar wonder
1 a : a cause of astonishment or admiration : MARVEL b : MIRACLE
2 : the quality of exciting amazed admiration
3 a : rapt attention or astonishment at something awesomely mysterious or new to one's experience b : a feeling of doubt or uncertainty

-- miracle:
Pronunciation: 'mir-i-k&l
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin miraculum, from Latin, a wonder, marvel, from mirari to wonder at
1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
2 : an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment

-- marvel:
Pronunciation: 'mär-v&l
Etymology: Middle English mervel, from Anglo-French merveille, from Late Latin mirabilia marvels, from Latin, neuter plural of mirabilis wonderful, from mirari to wonder
1 : one that causes wonder or astonishment
2 : intense surprise or interest : ASTONISHMENT
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 26 (view)

I'm sick to death of this insensitive, malicious, & depraved behavior
Posted: 7/22/2007 9:55:19 AM
When we saw this news headline, we had to take quite a few deep breaths and go for a walk ...

EATEN ALIVE BY ALLIGATORS
Shandelle Maycock was left by her attacker to be eaten alive by alligators

Saturday July 21,2007
By Tom Price

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD girl was eaten alive by alligators after a cold-blooded killer left her to die by a canal teeming with the reptiles.

Quatisha Maycock had been forcibly taken from her home with her mother Shandelle by Harrel Braddy, a married church friend with a violent past.

Still wearing her Care Bears pyjamas, the defenceless girl was dumped at the roadside on Florida’s famous Alligator Alley minutes after Braddy had left her mother for dead in a field.

Authorities found Quatisha’s body two days later, with her left arm missing and her skull crushed – an autopsy concluded she was [still alive when] attacked by alligators.

Shandelle, then 22, had been found barely alive by passers-by but survived.

After nine years of delaying tactics, 57-year-old Braddy was finally found guilty of kidnapping, attempted murder and murder this week – and now faces the death penalty.

Shandelle sat stoically in court as the jury heard how Braddy had become violent when she rejected his advances in November 1998. When she told him to leave her home he had choked her until she passed out and Shandelle had woken up in the back of Braddy’s car with her daughter in the front.

So fearful had Shandelle been that she jumped out of the moving vehicle with Quatisha in a bid to get away. This prompted Assistant State Attorney Abbe Rifkin to ask the jury: “How desperate would you have to be to jump out of a moving car with your child?”

The prosecutor alleged Braddy had disposed of the girl because she was a witness. But Braddy tried to convince the Miami jury it was not his fault and the fatal blow came when Quatisha hit her head on the road.

After the verdict, the jury was told of the 6ft muscular bricklayer’s long criminal past, which included attempted murder, robbery, kidnapping and armed burglary.

Although a married father of four, he had fallen into trouble with the law over a spate of burglaries in the early 1980s. In 1984 he made a violent escape from a court building, choking a security officer until he passed out and locking him in a cell.

Following two weeks on the run he kidnapped and robbed a gospel singer but was caught and sentenced to 30 years in prison. But owing to Florida’s overcrowded prison system, Braddy was released in 1997. It was after his release that he met Shandelle at his local church.

Yesterday Judge Leonard Glick told jurors to return in late August to decide Braddy’s sentence.

P.S. (I'm glad Florida still has the death penalty ... as much as a more fitting punishment would be life in prison as somebody's HIV-infected beeyatch, this murderer does not seem to serve any good purpose on this planet ...)
 macgregrrrr

~ Sad state of the World!! ~
Posted: 7/15/2007 7:33:11 AM

... doesn't TRUE diversity mean accepting others of different reace, culture, religion AND point of view?

NO. There are TRUE limits to accepting points of view (and, interestingly enough, those miscreants who have communicated their hatred via POF are subject to criminal charges ... as outlined below):

The Criminal Code of Canada says a hate crime is committed to intimidate, harm or terrify not only a person, but an entire group of people to which the victim belongs. The victims are targeted for who they are, not because of anything they have done.

Hate crimes involve intimidation, harassment, physical force or threat of physical force against a person, a family or a property.

Sections 318 and 319 of the Criminal Code of Canada address hate crimes.

Under Section 318, it is a criminal act to "advocate or promote genocide" - to call for, support, encourage or argue for the killing of members of a group based on colour, race, religion or ethnic origin. As of April 29, 2004, when Bill C-250, put forward by NDP MP Svend Robinson, was given royal assent, "sexual orientation" was added to that list.

Section 319 deals with publicly stirring up or inciting hatred against an identifiable group based on colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. It is illegal to communicate hatred in a public place by telephone, broadcast or through other audio or visual means. The same section protects people from being charged with a hate crime if their statements are truthful or the expression of a religious opinion.

The law (subparagraph 718.2(a)(i), to be specific) encourages judges to consider in sentencing whether the crime was motivated by hate of: the victim's race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation or any other similar factor.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/hatecrimes/
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 7 (view)

How MANY emails before you MEET in PERSON!
Posted: 7/15/2007 6:16:30 AM
Interesting discussion, IMHO.
I'm more than inclined to agree with the opinion "whatever both of you are comfortable with" ... thus, sometimes one person may need to accomodate the other (hmmm ... kinda prophetic, eh? If one person is "too pushy" for the other person's comfort level ... well ... can you say "doomed from the start" ... ?)
Just like fine wine, some things need to age ...
And, conversely - sometimes ya just know when it's right ...
A delicate balance between "Patience Is A Virtue" and ... "He/She Who Hesitates Is Lost" ...
The bottom line remains: "Who Dares, Wins". Osons!
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 104 (view)

Are there any decent men out there???????
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:39:39 PM

... Next question. This horse is dead.

( Reminds me of the Energizer Bunny thread about doing certain things in the shower ... some things just keep going, and going, and going ... no shower thread pun intended ... LOL!!!)

The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to
generation, says that, "When you discover that you are riding a dead
horse, the best strategy is to dismount." However, in government more advanced strategies are often employed, such as:
1. Buying a stronger whip.
2. Changing riders.
3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
4. Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride Horses.
5. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
6. Reclassifying the dead horse as living impaired.
7. Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.
9. Providing additional funding and/or training to increase the dead Horse's performance.
10. Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.
11. Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than live horses.
12. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.
And, of course...
13. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.

P.S. (remember the X-files: "The truth is out there.")
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 110 (view)

Canadian Military
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:27:24 PM
I always chuckle at anti-military thinking (kinda like saying "let's get rid of firefighters, and there'll be no more fires" ... sheeyah, right ...) - and then, we have the conspiracy theories ... hmmm ... hope they never find out we actually kept all those U-boats running, and we've got underground canals to Roswell ... but ... I digress ...

And so ... where does that leave us?

As said elsewhere - Yup - I'm sick and tired of intolerance and hatred, whether racial or religious. Undoubtably, the root of all evil is ignorance (and lack of education) - once you learn more about others, they cease to be strangers/infidels/heathens ...

Unfortunately, some hatred runs so deep that it consumes the individual ... with the result that they can not be "cured" by rational, logic, reason or persuasion ...

Thus, as much as people bemoan the fact that there is too much hatred and violence in the world around us, I'm absolutely convinced that "turning the other cheek" only presents a soft target for those rabid few who misinterpret "live and let live" as a sign of weakness ...

Sum up? With all due respect, I'm afraid I've completely run out of time, patience and tolerance to put up with gutless, whinging armchair critics who betray the very men who die defending freedom.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

-- Teddy; "Citizenship in a Republic", Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities, because it is the quality that guarantees all others"

- Sir Winston S. Churchill
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 5 (view)

~ Men who hug & the women who love them! ~
Posted: 7/14/2007 1:49:07 PM
The longer, the better (I was talking about HUGS, you PERVERTS!)
Best hugs are the ones that last all day, all night, and then all day, all night, etc. ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 16 (view)

~ Sad state of the World!! ~
Posted: 7/14/2007 1:44:56 PM
Yup - I'm sick and tired of intolerance and hatred, whether racial or religious.
Undoubtably, the root of all evil is ignorance (and lack of education) - once you learn more about others, they cease to be strangers/infidels/heathens ...

Unfortunately, some hatred runs so deep that it consumes the individual ... with the result that they can not be "cured" by rational, logic, reason or persuasion ...

Thus, as much as people bemoan the fact that there is too much hatred and violence in the world around us, I'm absolutely convinced that "turning the other cheek" only presents a soft target for those rabid few who misinterpret "live and let live" as a sign of weakness ...
And so, I'm sorry to say, I still chuckle at the warped t-shirt "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out".
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 17 (view)

Living Alone
Posted: 7/14/2007 5:33:44 AM
Since I'm not an authority on anything ... let's consider these:

Only the lonely know the way I feel tonight.
-- Roy Orbison

If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company.
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, or even a stranger, if in a lonely place.
-- Tecumseh

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.
-- Anne Frank
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 25 (view)

What is it about nurses???
Posted: 7/8/2007 6:41:53 PM
I'll vote for the "nurturing" comment (made earlier).
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 5 (view)

How do you ask for info? (The Victorians had it easy)
Posted: 7/8/2007 10:06:13 AM
IMHO, it's all about "comfort level" and trust
(i.e. when a person's comfortable enough, they'll trust you with their "innermost secrets" - until that point in time, lack of trust can cause discomfort ...)
When a person's ready (comfortable enough) to tell (trust) me, I let them - ditto for vice versa.
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 89 (view)

Are there any decent men out there???????
Posted: 7/7/2007 9:40:22 AM
As they say, it's all "in the eye of the beholder" ... (and, as also noted previously, although it's difficult to fathom there are indeed those who are only looking for "indecent" men ... i.e. in their eyes, "nice" guys aren't exciting enough ... meh)
Time for a haircut, and then walk the muttley's ...
 macgregrrrr
Msg: 3 (view)

Yellow ribbon vote was unanimous
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:41:28 PM
As previously mentioned, it's interesting to read how many people "know it all", yet they've never even been there nor have they talked to the Afghan people. Wow.
Sure wish I knew it all, too ... but then, who the heck is interested in dating know-it-alls?
 macgregrrrr

Yellow ribbon vote was unanimous
Posted: 6/20/2007 6:08:52 PM
I'm relieved - if they'd voted against the yellow ribbons, it would have been an extremely bitter kick in the pills on the same day we lost three troops overseas.

Council votes to keep ribbons
Unanimous in favour of keeping 'Support Our Troops' decals on fire trucks, ambulances
By ZEN RURYK, City Hall Bureau Chief

Facing a wave of criticism, Mayor David Miller flip-flopped Wednesday, leading a charge to allow city fire trucks and ambulances to indefinitely sport ribbon decals that signify support for Canadian troops.

Miller and 38 councillors voted unanimously at a council meeting to extend the ribbon campaign beyond September when it was to draw to a close.

In addition, Toronto's municipal politicians determined the police force should have the option of joining the campaign.

"I think that it's important, personally, that Canadians in every corner of this country support the men and women of the armed forces. The City of Toronto has always done that," said Miller, whose uncle served in the British and Canadian navies.

The Sun sparked a controversy when columnist Joe Warmington put the spotlight on plans to end the campaign.

Miller on Tuesday said that no order had been issued to remove the decals from fire trucks and ambulances. However, the campaign was only to go on for one year. He expressed support for Canadian troops at the time, but refused to intervene to extend the campaign beyond September.

Miller had a change of heart Wednesday and urged city council to keep the ribbons on 170 fire trucks, 147 ambulances and 25 of that department's emergency response cars and SUVs.

"I reflected on the issue," said Miller, who stressed the importance of having the city clearly state its position.

He said the tragic deaths of the three Canadian soldiers who were killed when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan were the biggest factor that led to his decision to push for the extension of the campaign.

Comments

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives that protester the freedom to abuse and burn that flag

I support the troop that have so long supported us!!
Darayush Daruwalla, 2007-06-20 1807

Not all the nuts are in the trees in Hogtown.
Brigand, 2007-06-20 1857

For the love of god take these ribbons off are publicly owned vehicles,someone might think Canadian soldiers stand up and fight for what they believe in, can`t have that. Jack Bin Layton would be horrified.
T.O. try and be what I am......CANADIAN.
David, 2007-06-20 1817

No reason why public owned equipment should be advertising war. Public owned equipment should be neutral territory and the government officials looking to boost their public impression should remember you WORK FOR US and not for yourselves.
eastcoaster, 2007-06-20 1735

No. We have to let them know that we are supporting them in some ways and I think this is a good way.
If any in the government had a child in that situation I beleive they would like support of people. Let one of them have one of their kids coming home in a box and see if they would like that. So they have to show support for the people doing what they are send their to do and support for the family & parents.
Rita, 2007-06-20 1639

As a mother of 3 military personnel: one has all ready served overseas and two who will be deployed in the next few months, I am again disgusted with the leadership in Toronto. The ribbons that I have on my car or the ones on the public vehicles do NOT embrace war in any field but they do let those who HAVE to serve because they have chosen this profession know that at home they are thought about and supported for caring about their homeland. I do not live in Toronto (probably a good thing that I don't) but I cannot understand why all Canadians do not support our troops. Every Friday, every person should be wearing red. Every car should have a yellow ribbon of support. Every home should have a support our troops sign or a yellow ribbon noticeable to all. We have men and women dying on foreign soil again. They come home and only their families can meet their coffins as they are repatriated. Where is our Canadian pride. Are we not tired of riding the fence and being so wishy-washy that we cannot take a stand? I do not want this war or any war for that matter to be happening anywhere in the world but I support our troops as they put their lives on the line everday.
I will cry when my son and his wife are deployed overseas...not so much for them as they are ready to serve their country with pride but for all those Canadians who are so blinded by stupidity and narrowmindedness that they cannot say to our troops "Thank you". Our municipal, provincial and federal governments are a pathetic waste of money. Where is the honest true Canadian who would like to govern our country with pride and dignity?

To all Canadian troops wherever you may be stationed I yell with pride "Thank you...Thank you...Thank you. May you all come home safely to the waiting arms of those who love and appreciate you". Just do not expect everyone in Toronto to be in the receiving line!!!
Debi, 2007-06-20 1628

I think it's just horrible what they are saying, they should leave the ribbons alone - they are not harming anyone. I support our troops!
Brenda Murphy, 2007-06-20 16:00:36

So do take off the yellow ones, and replace them with the woodland or desert CADPAT ones!!
Kevin Driver, 2007-06-20 1517

Well well well. I am from Winnipeg, I lived for 12 years in Ontario and am not suprised that the left leaning Toronto city council wanted to ban the yellow ribbon from emergency vehicles. I have been literally from coast to coast to coast in this country and can say A GOOD PART of the population of Ontario are the most self centered,egotistical people in the country.In the 12 years I lived in Ontario in uniform I never once had one person come up and say thank you for your service and sacrifice.For the last year I have been back in Winnipeg I can not count how many times that people have come up to say thank you for my service and sacrifice and that of all the service members.Don't worry Toronto the army will still be there when you have another big snowfall! To all you anti war folk in Toronto the sheeps clothing are off for you now. You say that you are anti war but pro troops,well your latest push in Toronto proves nothing but the opposite!
Ryan Maher, 2007-06-20 1517

What nonsense. What on earth could Toronto council be thinking? What fringe group are they pandering to, other than themselves, the most bizarre fringe group of all!? They need to be concentrating on the real issues of Toronto, maybe starting with crime and traffic - or is that just too difficult for them? Give your heads a shake and leave this issue alone, you should be ashamed of yourselves for even bringing it up. In most civilized countries, this absurd suggestion could be considered treason or sedition. In Toronto, it's just good old council stupidity!
Jim Kerr, 2007-06-20 1548

Show ALL Forums