Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Hockey anyone?
 lemming3k13
Msg: 7612 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 10/1/2009 9:18:38 AM

Lemming, you are totally missing the point. There IS no base to build from in Phoenix. The vast majority of people DO NOT CARE ABOUT HOCKEY THERE!

Evidently 13,000 fans disagree with you, so don't act like the arena is "empty" every week.
Did Dallas have a base for hockey before a team got there? Doesn't strike me as a hockey town. What about LA before any team ever played there? Nashville? Miami? Tampa? St Louis?
Perhaps we should review attendances at other places when they just started out with no hockey history, or how they drop when teams aren't successful so we actually have a decent comparison?

Patience is a virtue? Try telling that to the guy who is losing $30M a year by trying to force feed a sport to people who are not in the least bit interested. This has nothing to do with building a sport from a solid base. This has everything to do with trying to introduce a sport to a region that has no interest... never has, never will.

The Phoenix experiment has failed, miserably.

The point which you seem to miss is you have to introduce sports to other areas BEFORE they can catch on. And it is not an instant success, it never is. You can deny it all you want but it HAS caught on to a good degree. There was NO base, now there is 13,000 supporting probably the poorest NHL team through a hell of a lot of shit, and you dismiss it as a failure?

Edit... never mind. Just looked at your profile ands saw that you are from the UK. Chances are you have never even seen hockey before and I would be willing to bet the last two nickels in my pocket that you have done absolutely no research on the whole Phoenix issue.

So only Canadians can know about hockey? How judgemental, ignorant, and arrogant you are. The NHL has a global following, and despite it being a hell of a lot of trouble to keep up with from here I do my best. I've even seen Phoenix play before(no surprises we lost).
I guess being from the UK I'm well aware of introducing sports to other places. We've gone from practically dominating the world at the sports we invented to being absolutely bloody useless at them. Took a while for everywhere else to catch up though.
Of course Phoenix has been seriously mismanaged, they pay wages beyond their means and have built a new arena when the old one was never full (even though it was a disgrace for a hockey arena).
Hockey also exists in the UK, albeit of a very poor standard.

Any actual hockey fans have anything to say today?

How ignorant. Can anyone form something representing a substantial discussion or shall we all just make assumptions about each other?
 lemming3k13
Msg: 7605 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 9/24/2009 8:24:45 AM

Phoenix has been one of the bottom three teams, attendance wise, 5 of the past 8 years. They have the worst cumulative attendance in the NHL this century.

I won't argue that for a team in the desert, drawing 13,000 fans is good. That's not the point. The point is, drawing 13,000 fans to an NHL game is frikkin brutal! They would have a bigger season ticket base than that if they were placed in Red Deer Alberta!

If franchises remained in places based on the fact that they draw well, considering the circumstances, then baseball would still be in Montreal and NBA would still be in Vancouver.

For a team in the desert with no success to speak of I think that's a good base to build from, and it will take time as you'll always struggle to be successful without crowds and without success the crowds will remain below average. If they have a good season or two I could bet you'd see rising crowds and they'd have a much better future.
I think if we looked at other teams attendances across the years we'd see that too(I recall the blues struggled for a few years), sure it won't happen in dedicated hockey places such as canada, but across a lot of America it does, and probably at the start of a lot of franchises too until they have some success. Particularly if they move/start in a town with no hockey history at all.

Patience is a virtue, and if we always had the attitude of keeping hockey in certain places where it'll be popular no matter how badly the team does then most of America wouldn't have teams.
Of course had they been successful I may be inclined to agree with you.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 59 (view)

Worst thing you can say after or during sex
Posted: 9/24/2009 8:00:14 AM
"Remind me never to let a fat girl sit on my face again."
 lemming3k13
Msg: 7598 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 9/21/2009 7:09:05 AM
What's to kid about? Phoenix has understandably never been a hockey town because of where it is, but they still pull in a lot more fans than you'd expect them to. The America West Arena was always poor and inadequate for hockey, but Jobing.com arena is a big improvement. The teams form has always been poor and they still average around 13,000! For a team in the desert thats never won a damn thing that's pretty impressive.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 6 (view)

HEATLEY to SHARKS
Posted: 9/14/2009 4:00:01 PM
I don't think that's such a bad trade for the Sens, sure they could have got more, but Cheechoo will fit in nicely and Michalek is a very good player. Plus they got rid of someone causing trouble who didn't want to be there. I don't think Heatley will turn out to be such a big loss, and maybe the Sharks could have found someone better. Gotta remember it's about a whole team.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 7595 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 9/14/2009 3:49:17 PM
What has everyone got against the Coyotes? The desert is just as good for a franchise as anywhere else and I think it says a lot about the fans that its survived this long! Long may it carry on. :)

Saying you shouldn't have hockey in the desert is like saying the yanks shouldn't bother playing football!

And no, it isn't called soccer either.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 87 (view)

visible tattoos, opinions?
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:26:48 PM
Personally I hate them.
However each to their own. My opinion is not important to anyone but myself, and nor should it be.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 58 (view)

Dating some one from History.....
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:15:00 PM
Joan of Arc (obviously having waited until she was legal, and not quite so pissed with the English) : wink:
Boudica/Boadicea would be interesting, despite being a redhead.
Cleopatra
Helen of Troy
Anne Boleyn

And if we're including fictional then Maid Marian as she's perfect for me.
In other words is an orgy out of the question?
It's a sad day for me when there's more historical people I want to date than living ones!
 lemming3k13
Msg: 296 (view)

Justifying Cheating?
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:45:16 AM
The fact is if you are not happy you should leave, if you don't then accept the bed you made for yourself and make an effort to try to fix your problems.
People just want the best of both worlds and despite the obviousness of being unable to justify such actions they just convince themselves they can as it helps them sleep at night. Sadly there are too many morally corrupt people in the world.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 141 (view)

If she has the condoms is that a good thing?
Posted: 9/10/2009 1:42:02 PM
Of course it's a good thing. If you think she might be "too sexually active" and that's a problem for you, why on earth would you be dating her anyways? Much less ripping her clothes off.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 91 (view)

Could you let your girlfriend/boyfriend be bi-sexual
Posted: 9/10/2009 12:03:48 PM
It seems to me as a way of having your cake and eating it, as the phrase goes. But really it's down to whatever individuals can agree to, so if they're happy then let them be.
Having only ever met the kind of bi people who use it as an excuse to be as promiscuous as possible regardless of gender or their actual relationship status (often resulting in cheating) I'll freely admit I'm heavily bias on the subject. As I result I no longer feel comfortable dating bi women.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 55 (view)

Posted: 9/10/2009 10:26:10 AM
(during) Oh my god, OH MY GOD...........Look what the cat's doing!
 lemming3k13
Msg: 86 (view)

Whats up with all these Virgins
Posted: 9/7/2009 9:58:54 AM

Isn't that the basis of religion?
OK....off to hell now.

If hell exists I'm heading there too, but screw it, it's going to be warm and I'm going to know people.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 85 (view)

Posted: 9/7/2009 9:56:26 AM

To each their own.
I actually feel sorry for religious people and the way in which they are controlled.
Funny you should mention "pressure" as that is JUST what the Churches do to people.They also apply guilt and shame and fear in the mix and THAT is a serious SHAME,not to mention DAMAGING.

I see most religions as CULTS.Sorry.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I'm non-religious. ;)
My statement can apply equally to both sides; the point is that everybody is different and has their own beliefs that they feel comfortable with for whatever reason. It is damaging to pressure your beliefs onto others. If someone wants to wait, let them wait. If someone doesn't, that's fine too.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 82 (view)

Do guys like sweet & innocent or naughty girls?
Posted: 9/3/2009 5:41:00 PM
I like the sweet innocent ones who know how to treat a guy well, the good girls basically, but it really doesn't make much difference when it comes to the bedroom. I never seem to attract the good ones, only bad girls and sluts, who so far have always been a disappointment in all areas, even in bed.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 71 (view)

Posted: 9/3/2009 12:41:59 PM
Can I clear up this nonsense about only religious people wanting to remain virgins, I'm non-religious, I agree there is nothing wrong with waiting until you're married or at the least until you're in love if that's what you want to do. It is in no way damaging to want to wait, however it IS damaging to apply peer pressure to people to try getting them to do things they don't want or are not ready for just because your beliefs are different.
It doesn't matter if you're 16, 20, 30 or older, it is always a persons own choice what they do and you should all learn to respect each other and the unique choices we all make.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 22 (view)

Is being added as a favorite an invitation to e-mail?
Posted: 9/3/2009 11:52:17 AM
I'd say it's an invitation. I only add people to my favourites when I have to rush off and don't have time to think about composing a message at that moment. Sadly whatever I go off and end up doing completely distracts me, and as I result I seem to have people on my favourites I've never messaged. I should probably go check them out again now while I remember.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 1859 (view)

Imagine
Posted: 8/31/2009 11:50:30 AM
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
 lemming3k13
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 8/30/2009 4:34:46 PM
Dude, you gotta let me know where you're meeting these girls 'cause it'd be nice to find someone with some self respect for a change!
I'd imagine they also know how to respect others, which could be somewhat of a novelty.
 lemming3k13
Msg: 35 (view)

Posted: 8/27/2009 8:57:50 AM
"Wow! You must be experienced."
"I’m pretty good huh?"
"No, I mean your **** is huge!"

Wrong hole

Wake me when you’re done

(disappointed) Oh, don't worry, it was good, it’s just not how my sister does it.

Bet you don’t drop the soap again

Are you sure you don’t want the rohypnol? Good, I’ll use it then.

(to a fat chick) That’s the best bouncy castle I’ve ever been on!

You’ve just been punk’d! YEH! How does it feel to be going out live on tv??

(to a welshman) baa.

Show ALL Forums