Posted: 3/25/2012 9:42:59 AM
Can you be too honest?
Think of being asked, "Does my bum look big?"

Of course there will be a problem!
 bike mad
Msg: 4 (view)

Go on then...
Posted: 3/25/2012 9:34:45 AM
I understand only too well that problem, most of the women I've dated oner the past 20 years have not been happy with me leaving town for months. I'm not going to hide this, it's the primary reason I'm here!

In my introductions, usually, I will ask for a few details on the background of an interesting profile photo - where the scenery is from/ what the party was for/ what is the elephant doing?!
I believe it's non-threatening, shows I have looked at their profile closely and should be easy to respond to.

I'll remove the age restriction on your advice.
 bike mad
Msg: 2 (view)

Go on then...
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:59:53 AM
Thank you for taking the time to read it over.

I'll delete the parts you've suggested - although, it looks sparse now and shows very little of my personality!
 bike mad
Msg: 1 (view)

Go on then...
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:06:42 PM
... obviously there is something on my profile that isn't working!

I'm running about a 2% reply to my first contact... that's dire.

So, change the pictures?
I may not be Brad Pitt but I'm not going to resort to Photoshop either ;)

Change the text?
Honesty might seem like the best policy but maybe I'm doing it wrong?
 bike mad
Msg: 10 (view)

Do men ever date women who collect social security Disability?
Posted: 3/24/2012 4:38:19 PM
I've never met one as far as I know, it wouldn't bother me though.
 bike mad
Msg: 9 (view)

Successful women vs Not so successful women?
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:05:15 PM
I love successful women but I'm a scruffy oik so they run a mile.
 bike mad
Msg: 27 (view)

Prejudice and indifference against dating one's own age?
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:00:50 PM
I have dated women roughly my age and find they aren't fit enough for a long walk in the hills, let alone a short break in a different city. I'm not even remotely interested in sitting on the sofa with a bottle of wine and a DVD.
Only some women in their 20's are still physically fit, most in their 30's aren't.
If I were to meet a fit 40 year old, what about having children? That's not really recommended by doctors...
 bike mad
Msg: 16 (view)

The major differences...
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:37:31 PM
I'm a hell of a lot more choosy now than 10 years ago.
Saying that, for serious partner choices I've noticed no real difference, mainly because I have always been straight with any woman I've dated, if they didn't like this and preferred to be lied to by a pretty guy - fair play.

I'm 38 now - I wont pretend that a 32 year old divorced mother of 3 is a princess, I certainly will not put up with the tantrums 20-somethings like to have. Half of my life is over, I don't want to waste my time fawning over someone.

Start being more focussed.
 bike mad

When does taking an interest become being needy?
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:39:58 PM
Exclusivity starts when the nudity starts.
A couple of texts a day are OK - 'Good morning' and 'How was your day?'
The 'same page'? huh? Does that translate into English (UK)?
 bike mad
Msg: 37 (view)

Do older men fear dating a woman with chilren?
Posted: 8/26/2009 1:32:51 PM

this is a relationship in which the 'kids' will take center stage (and so it should be) at all times....it will be a relationship in which the man will have to 'relate' to the kids as well, and if the father is still in the picture, there will almost assuredly be friction somewhere.....and if the father is not in the picture then, the man will very likely have to bear parental burdens as well, not to mention a financial one!

I pretty much agree with this
 bike mad
Msg: 15 (view)

So an guy that travels constantly with one other guy
Posted: 8/23/2009 1:41:40 PM
His friend is sane. Your man is trying to stay sane. One of you needs to be.
 bike mad
Msg: 7 (view)

How often is it, that over 30 men WANT children, but can't get them?
Posted: 8/23/2009 1:27:50 PM
This has got to be comment of the month,

Look at the Single Parents forum. Women these days won't have a child with a man who has fewer than two felony convictions.

ROFL!!

I was brought up to believe that you should be in a stable relationship and financially secure before you decide to have children. Now that I am financially secure, I feel ready to settle down. Finding a woman to have a stable relationship with and doesn't have children is nigh on impossible!
 bike mad
Msg: 39 (view)

37 and still single? Why won't a woman date me?
Posted: 8/23/2009 1:14:03 PM
Chap, I'm 36, own house, well paid job, no children etc and I can't get a date either.
Don't sweat it.
As far as 'dating' goes, PoF is probably the last place I'd expect to meet a young, childless woman who wants to meet men. They are out with their friends being offered drinks by a dozen guys, so why would they be on a dating site?!
 bike mad
Msg: 3 (view)

Would you date a neighbor?
Posted: 8/3/2009 4:02:04 PM
I dated my neighbour - it was inevitable as I live in a small town! That was about 8 years ago and we're still good friends now.
 bike mad
Msg: 7 (view)

Any advice on what I am doing wrong?
Posted: 7/31/2009 12:45:19 PM
I don't mean to imply that you should remove that you work in law enforcement, just the specific part about telling the dodgy guys to go elsewhere - they will have already done so..!
 bike mad

What needs to be improved
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:59:44 AM
A bit of a description of what you are looking for in a girlfriend?
 bike mad

Can anyone take a look?
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:56:21 AM
I'd advise zooming in and cropping picture 3 for your main pic.
What does "I like to keep things surprise" mean??
 bike mad

Any advice on what I am doing wrong?
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:52:53 AM
A bit of structure and punctuation would help. Drop the anti-law line too - guys who are will already have clicked 'next'!
 bike mad

Don't know if it really works
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:47:15 AM
Make picture 2 your main pic, you look much happier in it. Delete pic 3 and this whole paragraph
"
Whilst relatively open-minded ......................committed relationship." and the 'Never' paragraph too.

Just my opine.
 bike mad
Msg: 13 (view)

Just tell me, should I get my coat?
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:30:16 AM
I go shooting regularly so I'll put the .50 cal back up - it's a long, pernickety process to get a Licence these days! Everybody I've taken to the range has enjoyed it :)

The 'Undecided' about children is my attitude on having children - I'm open to having a couple if I'm married - not in having to deal with the trials and tribulations of raising someone else's.

Yes, the spiky tag is exactly that - I can be very spiky! I'm getting better though...
 bike mad

Friend problems?
Posted: 7/31/2009 6:29:34 AM
Sounds like a proper control freak! He wants to dictate who you like, who you can speak to and will try and destroy your self-esteem until he is the only person in your world.

I went out with a woman years ago who wouldn't let me be in the same room as another woman unless she was there. Trouble was, I owned a bicycle shop! It wouldn't matter if the customer was 10 or 80 years old.
That woman constantly harangued me about other women trying to steal me and got nasty with the women I knew.
My best friend came over to me one night and was quite nervous in telling me that she had tried to get in his pants! Classic transference I suppose - she believed I was always going to try and cheat on her because she was the one that was un-trustworthy.
 bike mad
Msg: 17 (view)

Did you expect to be single this late in life?
Posted: 7/31/2009 6:16:46 AM
I never really worried about being in a relationship, at any age. I have a life to be getting on with although I feel a bit sad sometimes when I see the Welsh mountains turned red with the setting sun and there is no one to share it with.

Steve2600 - I understand, as a contract engineer most of the guys I meet at work are in their late 40's - 50's and probably 15% of them have wives from overseas.
We work hard, away from home to make sure we are financially secure, get back and find there are lots of over-weight single mum's in the dating pool. Children happen but you have to really try to not notice your clothes don't fit any more!
 bike mad

Can someone help with my profile please?
Posted: 7/31/2009 2:35:41 AM
I would delete picture 5 - it does you no justice at all - you look completely different and much prettier in the other ones.
It's quite a long profile but shows a lot of personality.
 bike mad

DO YOU IT OR LOVE IT?
Posted: 7/31/2009 2:28:52 AM
You need a better picture for sure, it's not the 'pink' itis that they are blurry and don't show you off very well.
The words are in big blocks that even made 'my' eyes start to glaze.
 bike mad
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 7/31/2009 1:24:37 AM
Thank you for looking it over :)

Yes, I'm set in stone with the 'no children' requirement. It always gets in the way of the simple things in life, like going out on the bike. Children need looking after and I do not want to get in the way of that. They always create drama - falling out of trees, issues at school, issues with mum's new boyfriend.
Trying to integrate with a person's life can be difficult enough - meeting their friends and family etc.

I don't specify what sort of personality I'm looking for because I don't think it matters! I get along with almost everyone and, unless a woman is a frothing liberal, I'm happy to meet them.

The .50 cal... I understand what you're saying - could some ladies comment on it being a bad picture to have on the profile?
 bike mad

*hides first* profile review requested
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:36:56 PM
It's 'Scorpio' - not scorpian.
I don't think you'd want much interest from women who are too shallow to baulk at a beard?!
 bike mad

looks
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:29:36 PM
Lots of women don't like to see top off pictures. You could do with some close ups of your happy smiley face.
 bike mad

New guy on here
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:26:22 PM
The tag line is funny - I actually laughed!

Picture 6 looks like you have some weird mullet (not that mullets are bad, just that you don't have one!)
Profile seems fine to me (but then I'm in here asking for a review too...)
 bike mad
Msg: 5 (view)

Profile review please
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:13:45 PM
That's a good description of who you are, maybe add what sort of guy you're looking for?
 bike mad
Msg: 6 (view)

profile review - what do you think will help?
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:08:40 PM
That's a good profile, very clear and concise
 bike mad

Hit me
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:01:26 PM
Dude, lol!! That's a funny profile! I get it but I'll bet lot of women wont... they'll get to heterodox and their eyes will glaze over because they wont understand and they'll click 'Back'.
Get a few more pics - go and set the camera up in the kitchen or something and use the timer.
 bike mad
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 7/30/2009 3:54:26 PM
Well, I'm back went out with a beautiful woman who was everything I wanted but it wasn't going to go anywhere so we split.

So, I have re-jigged my profile (someone else deleted my cat picture ) and am offering to you bods to critique... Don't worry, I can take it
 bike mad
Msg: 1 (view)

Profiles that you haven't looked at
Posted: 7/30/2009 3:42:35 PM
There is a link for showing a list of people you haven't looked at yet - is it possible to add a check box so that if you don't want to see that persons profile, it wont appear there again? Or do we 'have' to look at their profile to stop it appearing?
 bike mad

Guys do you think that if a women is straight forward its turn off?
Posted: 4/12/2008 9:58:58 AM

I'm someone who has no problem saying what i feel and believe.

What you feel is only valid to you. What you believe isn't necessarily the truth. Other people's feelings and beliefs are just as important to them. They may decide that keeping quiet may save upsetting others. You may have spent years getting on their nerves.

Tact, diplomacy and a sense of humour are more endearing traits than what may be perceived as blunt ignorance.
 bike mad

Is it right for him to tell me how he feels?
Posted: 4/12/2008 9:43:31 AM

I wouldn't suspect that he has an ulterior motive: he sounds like a sweetie who may be struggling to cope with his feelings and where he stands with you.

It might have taken seeing you behave with someone else in the way he would like you to behave with him to realise that he left it too long to say what he meant. Seeing that breaks hearts.
 bike mad

Question for shy men...
Posted: 4/11/2008 11:20:21 PM
A smile and a wink goes a long way.
I wouldn't approach a woman on a night out because I don't wont to walk into their territory without being invited.
 bike mad
Msg: 21 (view)

Your Primary Profile Photo
Posted: 4/11/2008 2:28:16 PM
Because the one with the gun scares people
 bike mad
Msg: 23 (view)

Why are children a problem?
Posted: 4/11/2008 2:25:54 PM
Why wont I date a mother? Her children wont fit on the back of the bike.
I want to be in a relationship with someone not an entire family.

I've tried a few times and it doesn't work for me so now I don't even look.
 bike mad

How often do you date?
Posted: 4/11/2008 2:02:05 PM
A date.... Hmmm.... I had a date once.... damned if I can remember when it was though!
 bike mad
Msg: 43 (view)

Would you move abroad to be with a partner?
Posted: 4/11/2008 1:56:08 PM
It wouldn't faze me in the slightest, I've moved all my life.
 bike mad
Msg: 28 (view)

join the army and go to Afghanistan
Posted: 4/11/2008 1:54:04 PM
I did 5 years in the RAF (unique in the way it's the only service to send the Officers out to get shot at! ) and even though I didn't enjoy my term, I always encourage youngsters to join the Cadets and the RAF.
I would never advise people to join the infantry!
 bike mad

Dodgy No Smoking Policy at Work
Posted: 4/11/2008 1:34:59 PM
I do lots of agency work. My favourite two words are "Fire me".
Where I currently work, I have to sit in front of a screen most of the day - Health&Safety states that a 5 minute break should be taken every hour. I smoke.
 bike mad
Msg: 15 (view)

Unsure what move to make next!?!
Posted: 4/11/2008 12:08:36 PM
If the children are with their father, unless he's about to flee the country with them, what's the issue?
Is he usually irresponsible with their safety?
If he was good enough for you to have children with surely he's good enough to look after them?
 bike mad
Msg: 16 (view)

Protecting Your Woman
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:01:20 PM
Read the OP people hater - am I meant to hide in the house after dark with a girlfriend just because it's a bit dangerous outside? That's not going to happen because then the thugs have won. I'm an engineer and ex-military, the punks with bad attitude are wandering around and I wont be intimidated by them. Paranoia isn't necessary if you read what has happened in my street in one weekend.
I stated clearly that I don't live in the rough end of town and there is still a lot of street crime. Being smart with your mouth isn't going to help your girlfriend when the drunk kids start mouthing off.

Being an ex-wrestler would certainly decrease your need to be protected!
 bike mad
Msg: 13 (view)

Protecting Your Woman
Posted: 4/10/2008 2:17:26 PM

Not everyone would equate an aptitude for staying out of trouble as simply being introverted... but there will always be the typical sort among us who speak before thinking.

Trouble doesn't stay out of the way in this town. It walks around looking for you. 3 stabbings and a woman beaten to the floor in one weekend less than 100 yards from my front door. I don't even live in the rough end of town.
Guys who know how to stay out of trouble don't make snide remarks.
 bike mad
Msg: 8 (view)

Protecting Your Woman
Posted: 4/10/2008 10:35:17 AM

Let me tell you I don’t need protecting. I was raised to be very independent and if you zoned in like I was some helpless little thing you would be the one needing the protecting. That’s just me.

I wish I lived in your world. In my world, I see women getting in fights - thank your grandmothers for sexual equality, as the women around here get hit just the same as the men. Unless you're some ninja amazon warrior, stay where you are.
 bike mad
Msg: 5 (view)

Sideways Pictures
Posted: 4/10/2008 9:59:40 AM

Why do so many people put up pictures that are sideways?

So we can easily spot those who are too thick to use a computer

Show ALL Forums