Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Michel Moore's New Film Sicko
 aroarke
Msg: 159 (view)

Michel Moore's New Film Sicko
Posted: 6/19/2007 4:07:48 AM
On the flip side, if we follow the Canadian model of socialized, government-regulated medicine, you might well die before you see your doctor. Ask a Canadian how they like it.

I love it. I have never waited for a doctor and everyone I know that has had to go to a doctor or an emergency room has never had to wait or have a problem. the stories you must have heard are coming from some right-wing propaganda nuts.

One friend went in for cancer (throat) removed successfully and he had to pay - nothing

One friend went in to have a finger removed from complications to to diabetes and he had to pay - nothing

Another friend went in for a colectomy with ileostomy and they had to pay - nothing

I scheduled an elective surgery and had to wait two weeks and paid - nothing

So for the Canadians I know they like the system so following our lead would not hurt but help.

As for Mr. Moore I wouldn't be to worried about his agenda, as he is only trying to help all Americans, I'd be more worried about your dictator in chief's agenda.
 aroarke
Msg: 1 (view)

LuminaTO - June 1 to 10 - Toronto
Posted: 6/1/2007 7:39:07 PM
LuminaTO, anyone going or even hear about this? I just found out about this yesterday.
I plan to check out most of the free stuff, especially the opening of the Lee-Chin Crystal at the R.O.M.. Interesting architecture and I can't wait to see inside it and it's free.
Also on the to-do list is the Floating Artworks, L'Art Boat, the Distillery Historic District, The Robotic Chair, The Spiegel Show, and Pulse Front.

There is more info on the website www.luminato.com

Open Doors last week, LuminaTO this week, this city just keeps getting better.
Now if they would just bring back the Yonge Street Festival.

Hope to see you out at this.
 aroarke
Msg: 2 (view)

Doors Open Ottawa 2007- Free Event Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3
Posted: 6/1/2007 7:25:20 PM
We had it here in Toronto last weekend. A great event no matter what city you live in.
A good way to check out all those buildings you pass by all the time and wonder what's inside.
My favourite spot on the list (for Toronto) was the Bay Lower subway station.
It was the first time it has been opened to the general public since 1966. I was also into various buildings around University of Toronto and up to the observation level of City Hall.
My only complaint with the event is that is too short to visit all the buildings in two days and some of the places are only open for a few hours. I guess after a few years I'll be able to get to all the places I want to see.

Just looking at the list of all the places open in Ottawa and I'm quite envious. Wish I could get up there for the two days but again way too many buildings to see in just two days.
Anyhow it's LuminaTO in Toronto this week.

Have fun a take lot's of pictures!
 aroarke
Msg: 12 (view)

Big Brother Is Watching
Posted: 4/29/2007 1:04:39 AM

Us country folk shouldn't be expected to pay for your problems

You don't. The correct way to say it should be "Us city folk shouldn't be expected to pay for your country folk problems". Toronto gets very little of the monies collected from our taxes. It gets spent elsewhere in Ontario and Canada

Can someone explain how cameras on every corner, covering every angle, monitoring your every move is going to reduce major crime? Ever hear of balaclavas?

If there was a camera on every corner the 'bad guys' could be backwards tracked from the time of the crime to when they left their house. Police would have licence plates and home addresses, wouldn't matter if they wore a balaclava.
Police already use this method now to solve crimes by checking all cameras (banks, stores, atm's) available near the scene of a crime and backtrack the criminals.

In most parts of Ontario we don't have to lock our doors at night or when we go away.

So all the stores and banks keep the doors unlocked too? No? I wonder why... wait maybe it's because they would get robbed. Living half my life in a small town where doors are left unlocked, I know that these homes get robbed just a much as the ones in the big city

As stated elsewhere here, you are already watched everywhere you go. Any plastic card (credit, debit, OHIP, licence, FAC) you have that has a stripe on it tracks you, any store that has a camera tracks you (sometimes you don't even have to go into the store if the camera points out to the street), every time you use a cell phone your tracked, travel on the 401 through the GTA or the 407 you're tracked, cross the border, get on a plane, train or bus you're tracked, write a cheque, make a bank deposit, get a paycheck, pay your income taxes you're tracked, send an email, check POF forums you're tracked. Let's not forget with the satellites in the sky now with extreme resolution you can be tracked anywhere on the planet.

Being watched by big brother is the norm nowadays and it's been going on now for a long time.
It doesn't matter if you don't like it because we're watching you not like it!
 aroarke
Msg: 47 (view)

Lets all hate Toronto
Posted: 4/22/2007 6:40:09 PM

When is Toronto going to be responsible for themselves?

I couldn't agree more.
If Toronto was able to get back our tax money that is now being given to the rest of Ontario and Canada, we would be able to upgrade and fix our transit, roads and garbage problems, but by the federal and provincial government supporting the rest of the country with our tax money we can't improve our infrastructure.
 aroarke

the irony of our legal system?
Posted: 4/20/2007 11:27:30 PM

Baines, who represented himself, said employees of the supermarket in a Vancouver suburb used unreasonable force when he struggled during his capture. Baines lost a tooth in the incident, and said he now has trouble speaking.

For $12,000 he must have a great dentist and speech therapist.
 aroarke
Msg: 5 (view)

~ Honey Bees dying! ~
Posted: 4/20/2007 11:16:30 PM
I can see this might be part of the problem in populated areas but not out in Saskatchewan and Alberta where there are no cell towers for miles and miles. I guess we'll have to wait awhile and see if the hives in those provinces are having problems.
As for the Niagara region as the article states that the main cause of death was from the early warm spell we had and then back into a deep freeze.
We can probably just add this to the long list of things that global warming is screwing up.

By the way, shouldn't the poll have more than one answer? Yes and a No, maybe even a Who Cares thrown in there for fun.
 aroarke
Msg: 42 (view)

Lets all hate Toronto
Posted: 4/20/2007 10:40:33 PM

Apparently Toronto is the centre of the universe and if you live beyond the border of scarborough or rexdale you're out in hicktown Canada.

Wait a second.
You mean to tell me that there is life north of the 401?
That people can actually live east of the Rouge river?
There are settlements west of the Humber river?
That's just crazy talk. Next you'll be telling me than man can walk on the moon.
 aroarke
Msg: 16 (view)

Should Stores Be Open 24 Hrs?
Posted: 4/8/2007 10:26:17 PM

People need time with their families...

I always love this argument. It was used a lot on the debate against Sunday shopping and we see how well that worked. If one doesn't want to work nights then they don't. If one wants to spend time with their family they will whether a store is open 24/7 or not.

But why do the rest of us have to inconvenienced by not being able to shop when we want to.
I've worked a lot of jobs where I worked night shifts and finished at 6:00 am.
So now I have to wait 2 hours to go shopping? Nope I would head to the closest 24 hour store and spend my money there.
And I'm not waking up early on a Sunday so I can get to the store by 6:00 pm.
That's just crazy.

I can see this not being a need in a small community but in Toronto it is a must.
It wouldn't be every store open either. You don't see every grocery store open 24/7 now as the demand is not there. There may only be a few stores in a chain of stores open 24/7.
One in the west end, one in the east end, one downtown and one up north at the maximum.
And as far as wasting energy and "the environmental impact would be phenomenal" I seriously doubt it.
The majority of all large stores and businesses already have their interior lights on 24/7 in the city to deter break-ins. They might not have all of them on as it is now but by putting all of them on would not have phenomenal impact.
 aroarke
Msg: 43 (view)

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero 4.17.07
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:34:55 PM
I've seen them now three/four times and have loved every concert but the best was when they opened for Bowie and Trent joined Bowie on "I'm Afraid of Americans" .
Also I love Quake!
 aroarke
Msg: 26 (view)

Trouble signing in to MSN live..
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:15:06 PM

Miranda IM is a smaller, faster, easier instant messenger with support for multiple protocols.

It's basically an all in one IM application that will consolidate multiple IM accounts (yahoo, msn, google talk, icq, aim etc.) .

So if friend A uses msn and friend B uses yahoo I would normally have to open up two programs, msn and yahoo. Miranda will consolidate my two different accounts into one program so all I have to do is start Miranda and I'm logged into msn and yahoo.

Love the program since I have multiple ICQ names, msn names, google talk names, one yahoo and one AIM, I would have to log in and out, say for msn, to check all my accounts. Now all I do is open Miranda and it logs on to all my IM accounts. Great program!

You can check it out at miranda-im dot org
 aroarke

Convenient Stores Selling Alcohol?
Posted: 4/8/2007 1:49:08 PM
nowadays kids are looking older and older and then the shit if they wanna card like the LCBO and a gun gets in their faces ?

And this never happens at the LCBO or Beer Store?

The whole thing looked seedy. And dangerous to my young eyes.

I see plenty of corner stores that look seedy and they don't sell alcohol.

Corner stores here have been known to sell cigarettes to young people..

Yes and they get charged. Also the LCBO and Beer Store have been known to sell to minors.
Same with restaurants.

with the problems they had with the small variety stores and the Lottery tickets... how do you trust them to sell alcohol in their stores.

Same way we do it now with inspections. If a store fails the inspection they get fined and lose the right to sell alcohol. With the increase in sales that beer and wine would bring for a store very few would want to lose this right. Look at bars and restaurants that abide by the rules for fear of losing their liquor licence. Lose the licence and you lose money.

As this was a private member's bill, the chances of this passing are slim to none already. And it only applied to locally made beer and wine so the selection in the store would be limited to whatever is in your area.

The proposed legislation applies only to wine containing 100 per cent Ontario grapes, which means "it's not blended, it's not mixed with foreign grapes,".

The proposed legislation would also allow for beer made at Ontario micro-breweries to be sold at convenience stores.

So I doubt that there would be a huge rash of drunken drivers or armed robberies through out the province even if this did pass.
It would be nice though if we could buy beer and wine in the corner stores.
 aroarke
Msg: 23 (view)

Trouble signing in to MSN live..
Posted: 4/8/2007 1:19:02 PM
Miranda is the way to go!
 aroarke
Msg: 14 (view)

Thioughts/advice about getting motorcycle license/bike...
Posted: 4/8/2007 1:16:04 PM
Definitely take a rider training course.
St. Clair College has a course for $387. Book early as most of the dates get full in the spring as everyone gets the itch to ride.

I would get the licence first so you can test ride bikes to find which one suits/fits you the best. I had my mind set on a bike years ago and when I took it for a test ride, I hated it. Then I rode another one that I had never even considered buying and it fit like a glove and I bought it the next week.

Just my 2 cents.
 aroarke
Msg: 26 (view)

New Reporting Feature - Image not Human
Posted: 4/8/2007 12:56:32 PM
I'm all for this new feature.

If I wanted to see pictures of cars, sunsets, kids and puppy dogs I'd go to a site that has them. I'm not here to meet and date a car or a sunset.

It seems easy enough if you want your car in a picture, stand beside it and take the picture. Same with your dog and kids.

Yaaa for the new feature!
 aroarke
Msg: 14 (view)

Have you ever found....
Posted: 3/29/2007 10:06:12 PM

Have you ever found yourself hopping into bed around say 11 - 11:30ish, picking up a book and thinking I'll just read one chapter, enough to get me kinda sleepy and then go to bed....only to find that it's now 3am and you've just finished reading said book?

Oh ya. This has ruined many a day at work as I drag my ass all day with no sleep.
Hmmm can we sue an author for lack of sleep if it affects our job?
 aroarke
Msg: 13 (view)

Anyone else here not planning to have kids?
Posted: 3/29/2007 9:42:37 PM
How does having a vasectomy mean that one doesn't enjoy being around children?
I enjoy being around children but would not want to have any of my own nor would I be in a relationship with anyone who has children. I'm not looking to be a father or father-figure to anyone.
I try to live my life with spontaneity and having children would not allow me to do this.
And we do have a hunger problem in Canada. If we didn't we wouldn't need all the food banks that we have.
Anyhow I can be counted as someone else who is not planning to have kids.
 aroarke
Msg: 9 (view)

omg...Cell phone bills that get way out of hand
Posted: 3/12/2007 10:39:28 AM
I used to have a plan for my cell phone but work became sporadic and it became to expensive.
Now, as other posters have mentioned, I use the pay as you go plans.
If I have the money I can add on the unlimited night & weekends and if I'm broke I just top up with a $10 card and only use the cell when I need it and it lasts about a month.

There was an article in the news stating that Canada has higher cell phone rates than the U.S. and Europe. Some quotes from the article...

The average cellphone bill in Canada is one-third more than it is in the United States and the highest of 30 countries in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, according to a report released Monday by the Seaboard Group.

Relative costs have dropped since Seaboard's 2005 study — which found Canadians paid 60 per cent more than Americans.

Canada has 56 cellphones in use for every 100 Canadians. The United States has 75 in use for every 100 Americans, while Britain and Germany have 102.2 and 86.4 in use per 100 people respectively.

Of course we would be paying more as we have only three cell phones carriers in Canada. What we need is some outside competition to lower the rates.
 aroarke
Msg: 51 (view)

Muslim girl ejected from tournament for wearing hijab
Posted: 3/5/2007 8:22:57 PM
Not that it matters as this reply will be deleted in time but

That's not entirely true.
yes it is - Canadian Charter of Rights

(a) Unless and until practicing that religion encroaches on the rights of others

When does one practising ones religion encroach on others? I'm not being sarcastic just looking to see where this actually happens.

(b) Thought, belief and opinion - yes, but only until the expression of those thoughts becomes libel, slander or the propagation of hate literature

Thought, belief and opinion only become libel and slander when given as fact.
Hate crimes would probably fall under Part I section 7:
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

(c) Assembly yes, as long as it remains peaceful and obeys local bylaws (seen all those No loitering" signs?)

That is what it states 'peaceful assembly' and there is a difference between assembly and loitering.

(d) Courts place limits on association on many people being released from prison

Yes because said person has been proven guilty of a crime and this is part of their sentence. Law abiding citizens can associate freely with anyone without repercussions.

The Canadian Charter of Rights was not what I had to get off my chest. It was my horror in so called 'Canadians' spouting so much bigotry, racism and hate on this thread.
 aroarke

In the Zone
Posted: 3/4/2007 9:07:01 AM
Great! Too many people here not paying attention while they are driving. Makes me happy that I take transit and gave up truck driving while these people are on the road.
Me bitter? Naw. Everyday I drove I saved peoples lives who were in 'the zone' by being cut-off by them, veering sharply to avoid then, braking hard for them basically risking my life and those around me just for them.
 aroarke
Msg: 46 (view)

Muslim girl ejected from tournament for wearing hijab
Posted: 3/4/2007 8:50:14 AM
Wow! After reading through this entire thread I'm ashamed to call myself a Canadian.

What started out as a somewhat simple post on the validity of a referees call on a rule has turned out to become a bigoted and racist diatribe.

Reading how so-called 'Canadians' are bending over all the time for 'them' leads me to believe Canada is no more advanced than the 'stone aged societies' where 'they' come from. I could gather many references of how Canada 'bent over' for the British, Irish, Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Italians, Catholics, Protestants, Jewish, Aboriginal, African-American, African-Canadian, French, Female etc. (you get the point yet?)
As Canadians we adapt our laws and society to include everyone. You don't like it? Leave. Yes I said leave. I was born here I don't have to leave. They should leave Well guess what a**hole. The majority, yes the majority of Canadians, do not agree with your bigoted views so you better accept what Canada is or find yourself a new home.

Reading how so-called 'Canadians' are losing their heritage makes me laugh. Your heritage is what you are brought up with and since Canada is made of more than just anglo-saxons, our heritage is everyones heritage. Don't believe me? Try the Department of Canadian Heritage (http://www.pch.gc.ca/]).

My compliments to Danteslnferno, VainH, invictus07, Mysteryinthemaking, semper_vera, late™, Da69Devil and MountainDrew. I would be proud to be called a Canadian along yourselves.

Now to the point about this whole thread.

Was the referee right?
Yes by his interpretation of the rule.

Were the teams right to walk out?
Yes anyone has the right to walk out of any situation the believe is wrong or unjust.

Is the ruling right?
No. From reading the F.I.F.A. rules

A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself/herself or another player

would not harm another player nor themselves wearing a hijab.

Modern protective equipment such as headgear, facemasks, knee and arm protectors made of soft, lightweight, padded material are not considered to be dangerous and are therefore permitted

unless the hijab was made out of sandpaper or steel.

The ruling body of football (yes I called the game by its proper name. What do you think the second F means in F.I.F.A.) in Quebec has to be petitioned to make either a new rule regarding religious attire or properly define the existing rules regarding religious attire.
Until then any team, province etc. having problems with the existing rule should boycott all games, tournaments etc. in Quebec until the issue is resolved.

Just a reminder to all Canadians out there -
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.

Just had to get this off my chest.
 aroarke
Msg: 18 (view)

life altering books
Posted: 3/2/2007 1:07:54 PM
For me it has to be Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
The logic in this book prepared me for accepting what happens in life.
 aroarke

New picture = new interest?
Posted: 3/1/2007 10:47:51 PM
Thank you Kitkat.
After today it looks like it will be a long time before I kick into summer mode.
 aroarke
Msg: 17 (view)

Snow Day!
Posted: 3/1/2007 10:39:13 PM
Yaaay more snow

Bring it on!
 aroarke
Msg: 4 (view)

New picture = new interest?
Posted: 3/1/2007 9:19:42 PM
My look changes with the seasons.
I work outdoors a lot so beginning November 1st I stop shaving and cutting my hair.
Then come April/May when the temperature consistently stays above 5 degrees I cut my hair off and start shaving again. Summer is way too hot for hair.
So I update my picture accordingly.
 aroarke
Msg: 81 (view)

One hit wonders
Posted: 2/21/2007 11:09:26 AM
I was looking at all the bands listed one came to mind, the Grateful Dead with Touch of Grey.
Now I wouldn't consider the Dead a one hit wonder but looking at singles charts on the web I couldn't find any info of any of their other songs charting high on Billboard's top 100, which is probably the most accurate way to find if a band is a one hit wonder.

Somebody prove me wrong please as I'd hate to have to say the Dead were a one hit wonder band.
 aroarke
Msg: 47 (view)

song lyrics that describe your mood
Posted: 2/20/2007 12:49:59 AM
Fake Plastic Trees

A green plastic watering can
For a fake chinese rubber plant
In the fake plastic earth

That she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of rubber plans
To get rid of itself

It wears her out, it wears her out
It wears her out, it wears her out

She lives with a broken man
A cracked polystyrene man
Who just crumbles and burns

He used to do surgery
On girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins

And it wears him out, it wears him out
It wears him out, it wears him out

She looks like the real thing
She tastes like the real thing
My fake plastic love

But I can't help the feeling
I could blow through the ceiling
If I just turn and run

And it wears me out, it wears me out
It wears me out, it wears me out

And if I could be who you wanted
If I could be who you wanted
All the time, all the time
 aroarke
Msg: 76 (view)

One hit wonders
Posted: 2/19/2007 8:38:09 AM
Small Faces - had several hits earlier to Itchycoo Park and later with Tin Soldier and Lazy Sunday (My favourite - Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake)

If people think a band is a 'one hit wonder' they'll miss out on a lot of other good music. I blame radio for this by not having diversity in their playlists.
 aroarke
Msg: 74 (view)

One hit wonders
Posted: 2/19/2007 12:03:14 AM
Interesting.... Seems like most people look at their one hit wonders cd and take it for gospel.

The majority of songs listed are one hit wonders but a lot of bands listed had more than one as most have been pointed out.
Here's a few that were missed:

Devo - did a cover Satisfaction and Working in a Coalmine from the Heavy Metal movie

FM - listed twice for different songs, had several other charted songs

Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys charted higher than Dear Mr. Fantasy

10cc - many hits, "I'm Not In Love", "The Things We Do For Love", "People In Love" (I see a trend here)

General Public - had another hit with I'll Take You There plus they were the English Beat

Talk Talk - several hits, Life's What You Make It - It's My Life

Blue Oyster Cult - Besides Reaper they had Burnin' For You and Godzilla

Simple Minds - Several hits "Alive & Kicking", "Sanctify Yourself", "Ghostdancing" and "All The Things She Said"
 aroarke
Msg: 25 (view)

Ever been to NFLD.....
Posted: 6/16/2006 7:03:45 PM
I tried to visit but I couldn't find the bridge!!
 aroarke

Sushi Anyone?..
Posted: 6/16/2006 6:59:09 PM
I agree with onefinewine with the multitude of sushi places on Bloor but I find the better ones between Spadina and Bathurst and with Pay-It-Forward about Fune.

If you're up in Thornhill during lunch time try Hockey Sushi - 1102 Centre Street
They have a very good priced all you can eat lunch menu.
 aroarke

If you had the opportunity to meet someone from any period in time, who would it be?
Posted: 6/13/2006 7:27:55 PM
Myself at a younger age so I can tell myself all the good stuff I know now and start the destruction/corruption much earlier.
 aroarke
Msg: 11 (view)

Where are places people like to camp
Posted: 6/11/2006 8:12:40 PM
Just checked the website

http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document.cfm?Sec=27&Sub1=124&sub2=0

Alcohol: There is a Total Alcohol Ban in effect for all dates throughout the season. This ban prohibits the possession or consumption of alcohol anywhere within the Conservation Area, including all registered campsites.

Unless you're drinking from bottles (beer) I don't see how it would be a problem to bring in alcohol. Keep it in glasses and don't make yourselves asses and nobody would find out.
 aroarke

Where are places people like to camp
Posted: 6/11/2006 6:56:11 PM
Elora Gorge north of Guelph. Bring an inner tube!

Maximum two (2) sleeping units -- Maximum 6 persons per site.
 aroarke

Backlash against muslims
Posted: 6/7/2006 2:16:15 PM
Only unintelligent, small-minded people would think that all Muslims are terrorists. As with any religion, the majority of the followers are good people and the small minority are fanatics.
Hopefully common sense will prevail in this situation.
 aroarke
Msg: 4 (view)

Special Interest Vehicles
Posted: 6/7/2006 2:05:51 PM
1976 Cadillac Hearse - if the engine didn't need work I'd be in.
 aroarke

Single mom troubles
Posted: 5/22/2006 10:21:24 PM
This reminds of any of the other I'm overlooked because I'm old/overweight/young/short/skinny/tall etc. threads on here.

If a person doesn't want to know you because of whatever reason then that would be their loss not yours.

Now to answer why a male would overlook you, I can only offer my own thoughts.
For myself I'm not interested in women with kids just because of my work/life. I enjoy the ability to jump on my bike and disappear for a few days or even just saying let's go out for dinner without having to worry about babysitters, getting home at a certain time etc.
And this is not just women either. All my male friends are all childless too.
 aroarke

that dreaded phone call!
Posted: 5/22/2006 9:55:22 PM
This reminds of the comedian Jim Florentine. He released 4 cd's 'Terrorizing Telemarketers' 1,2,3 & 4. He would sign up on as many telemarketer lists as posible and then prank on them when they call. He has a web site with samp-les off the cd's. Very funny stuff
 aroarke
Msg: 103 (view)

LOST - Ontario fans?
Posted: 5/22/2006 9:44:48 PM
Yes we all gathered in a room and decided not to answer you.

I think spun_in has the right answer for the boat, Desmond!

Lots of sites out on the web put out there by Disney/ABC etc. Are they there to educate or confuse?

Maybe Henry was talking about the current leader of the 'Others' who may or may not work for Hanso. He might be an unsuspecting part of the experiment too.

Black smoke - we'll find out on the finale or next season - always sounded mechanical when it attacked. Smoke could be metallic particles controlled by the large magnet in the hatch?

The French woman does know more than she lets on. Henry got caught on purpose.

Jack may have been in the jungle but half the plane (tail section) landed on the other side of the island so his distance from the crash is not great. Also he may have actually wandered in a daze/shock immediately following the crash and passed out in the jungle.

Anyhow some of these questions will be answered and there will be more stuff that will leave us scratching our heads on Wednesday.

Season finale
 aroarke

why is it when i log in anymore
Posted: 5/19/2006 10:28:56 AM
You see that because that is what you're seeking on your profile.
 aroarke
Msg: 25 (view)

Lost in Translation
Posted: 5/16/2006 11:45:43 PM
I end up playing Half-Life²
 aroarke
Msg: 23 (view)

Grey's Anatomy - Season Finale
Posted: 5/16/2006 11:30:16 PM
I watch it and the saddest moment for me was when they put Doc (the dog) down. I couldn't care less about Denny, Burke or Meredith ( George and Alex are my favourites - the yin-yang of males) but putting that dog down
No wonder I never became a veterinarian.

Besides that I'm waiting for the last 2 episodes of Lost
 aroarke

advertising
Posted: 5/16/2006 11:13:51 PM
What happens if you remove yourself from the world of advertising?
Not that that can be done completely (billboards, signs, speakers in front of stores) but if one was to actually turn off the tv, turn off the commercial radio, stop buying the ad-laden newspapers and magazines, one might find that advertising won't affect oneself.

I still will buy certain brand names only because I find them to perform better than their competion. That's the only reason. I can buy a really cheap/no name (insert item) or an expensive/name brand (insert same item). Sometimes the no name one works fine if not better the the name brand. Other times the name brand works better. I notice this more in clothing especially footware (not NKIE <-never Caterpillar!).

I will not be swayed by funky/new/cool/neat/etc. adverts. If I did I would own an ipod, driving a (insert car name here) while watching (insert digital cable package here) while talking on my cellphone (insert cellphone manufacturer and cellphone carrier here) while wearing (insert clothing manufacter here) with the hottest (insert mens cologne here) sprayed over my body.

I do not have cable TV. I selectively watch my favourite television programs without commercials, I listen to non-commercial radio stations (college stations - CKLN, CIUT). I do not read newspapers but I get inundated with advertising whenever I step outside (subway, billboards, friends place watching tv, freakin' movie theatres (I paid $15 to watch commercials before a movie - effin' hollywood) magazines that I will actually buy, hell even NOW - nothing is free).

I understand advertising, especially for a new products, but for fcuks sake, I still don't like Coca-Cola and no matter how many millions you spend I will still not buy your swill (Coca-Cola also represents the other 22 million shite adverts out there that I have no use for).

Use your head. Use what you know works for you. And if you want the best advertising ask your friends and family what they use. Word of mouth is stronger and smarter then any paid advertising. If one hasn't noticed I HATE COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING!

This rant is brought to you by aroarke ™©® for that refreshing feeling, anytime.
 aroarke
Msg: 21 (view)

Whats with this lousy weather
Posted: 5/16/2006 10:33:01 PM
Well the more rain the better
I say let it continue until the long weekend. We didn't get a lot of snow this year so we have to make it up somewhere.

Just found this surfing for stats

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/lofiversion/index.php/t90509.html

Top 10 Least Snowiest Winters in Toronto

1. 1952-53 (18.4")
2. 1932-33 (25.7")
3. 2005-06 (27.5") *As of March 30th, 2006
4. 1936-37 (27.6")
5. 2001-02 (28.1")
6. 1982-83 (28.4")
7. 1994-95 (29.5")
8. 1905-06 (30.2")
9. 1877-78 (30.2")
10. 1881-82 (30.4")

<-- edited by myself (just to list the top 10) -->

As bad as it may seem to say but a long dry spring will only turn into a very bad situation for farms and forests. And I like my forests and farms
 aroarke
Msg: 57 (view)

Public Transit Horror Stories
Posted: 5/9/2006 10:37:23 PM
I've never had to find a parking spot taking the TTC.

I've never had to shovel and clean the snow around a vehicle taking the TTC.

I've never had to worry about how much I had to drink taking the TTC.

I've never had my vehicle towed taking the TTC.

I've never had to find a gas station on the way to work taking the TTC.

I've never had a flat tire, fender bender or speeding ticket taking the TTC.

I've been driving tractor-trailers for over 15 years and have more horror stories about idiots on the road than I have taking the TTC for the same amount of time.
 aroarke
Msg: 11 (view)

what are the top 3 things that drive you nutz?
Posted: 5/4/2006 6:12:37 PM
1. People who make forum questions on things that drive you nuts.
2. People who don't get regular driver licence re-examinations.
3. Women who won't stand aside to let people off of the subway!
 aroarke
Msg: 29 (view)

Beware of picture theft
Posted: 5/3/2006 10:41:08 PM
First, before I blather on, go to the Department of Justice Canada and read the
Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act

http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/P-8.6/258031.html

Some of the stuff I gleaned off of it...

“organization” includes an association, a partnership, a person and a trade union.
- you, me, anybody.

“personal information” means information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
- I'm guessing this would include pictures

"Collection without knowledge or consent" 7. (1) For the purpose of clause 4.3 of Schedule 1, and despite the note that accompanies that clause, an organization may collect personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual only if

(d) the information is publicly available and is specified by the regulations; or
- My understanding here is unless an area is password protected, pictures can be taken from the internet

"Use without knowledge or consent" (2) For the purpose of clause 4.3 of Schedule 1, and despite the note that accompanies that clause, an organization may, without the knowledge or consent of the individual, use personal information only if
(c.1) it is publicly available and is specified by the regulations; or
- My understanding here that if the picture is publicly available then anyone can use it.

"Disclosure without knowledge or consent"(3) For the purpose of clause 4.3 of Schedule 1, and despite the note that accompanies that clause, an organization may disclose personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual only if the disclosure is
h.1) of information that is publicly available and is specified by the regulations;
- and here it looks like if it is a public image then they don't have to tell you that it is being used.

Now I'm no lawyer so if someone knows more about this please feel free to correct me and explain this act in regards to public pictures. And also if they could point me in the right direction for information about having one's picture taken in public (Ontario) and what rights one has as the picture taker and the picture subject.
 aroarke
Msg: 92 (view)

LOST - Ontario fans?
Posted: 5/3/2006 10:11:00 PM
Did he shoot himself to make it look like he was attacked by Henry or was he trying to kill himself?

I agree with Jetplague that he was captured but it might have more to do with the others using Walt as collateral to get Michael to do what he just did.

Hurley is going to blame himself for Libby's death and he will probably lead the charge to attack the others.
 aroarke
Msg: 28 (view)

Canadian Bands
Posted: 4/18/2006 11:08:18 PM
Bruce Kokburn --- I can't freakin' write Bruce's last name without it being censored.
 aroarke
Msg: 27 (view)

Canadian Bands
Posted: 4/18/2006 11:06:33 PM
This is going to be a long one...

Streetheart
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Toronto
Loverboy
Platinum Blonde
Tom Cochrane
Chilliwack
Moist
April Wine
Rough Trade
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Jeff Healey
Bruce****urn
Doucette
Goddo
Prism
FM
Nash the Slash
The Kings
Men Without Hats
Teenage Head
Lighthouse
David Wilcox
Trooper

off the top of my head. I know there is more but I can't remember (have to find my Made in Canada lp's)

Show ALL Forums