Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Men who live in Trailers, Buses and RVs
 kari135
Msg: 79 (view)

Men who live in Trailers, Buses and RVs
Posted: 5/10/2013 7:25:50 PM
So far in my life I've lived in houses, apartments, other peoples' houses, trailers, RVs, a 36' travel trailer, a cab-over camper, and if I could still drive, I'd be back in an RV - probably living at least part of the year in Slab City. It all depends on where you are in life, and what your most pressing needs are. And I owned at least half of the above, rented some, paid for rooms in some. Considering the current economy, I think a modern version of a conestoga would be an excellent choice.
 kari135
Msg: 92 (view)

Would you go back to an Ex you really cared about?
Posted: 3/22/2013 4:00:30 PM
ummm......... No. There was a reason they became an ex, even the ones I'm still friends with (I'm also friends with their wives). If it didn't work then, it won't work now. Some things time just doesn't change.
 kari135
Msg: 183 (view)

Question for Ladies 50+
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:32:12 PM

You women live in a bubble. Literate conducts an interview before she will date, and many of you still have these ridiculous demands and expectations. No wonder so many of you can't find or keep a good relationship going. So many of you are clueless about how you appear to us, aren't you. Many of you will never be in a relationship again because of it.

If it's ridiculous to demand that my intelligence and integrity be respected, then so be it. Any man who tells me I'm a liar or stupid or gullible because he hasn't lived the same kind of life I have - and doesn't believe me when I tell him what it was like - isn't one who will get a second chance. I'll just keep living in my little bubble.

My profile is as true as I can make it, and my late husband sure didn't have a problem with any of it.
 kari135
Msg: 52 (view)

Meet Me
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:45:17 AM
I hadn't looked at the ;meet me' thing for ages until this thread started. They are all new since the last time I looked, but only one came with an email notification from POF. I have no idea where the others came from, most of them have mail setting that exclude me. Even if they were legitimate, they obviously didn't bother to look at my profile, they want someone who definitely isn't me. Imagine living in an RV year round with 4 dogs... Then there's the one who blocked me, and the one I blocked - both of them keep showing up everywhere I look.
 kari135
Msg: 4 (view)

scammers
Posted: 2/23/2013 12:26:09 PM
Depending on how bored you are at a given time, scammers can be fun. I've strung them along for quite some time, then smacked them down. It's amazing how little they know about the geographic areas they are supposedly in or grew up in - like eastern Pennsylvania is in the midwest - or how little they know about whichever subculture they are supposed to be in - like a blue-eyed blond man who is 5'7'' and claims to be half Cherokee, but has no idea what a CIB is. Or he's happy to send photos via private email, but they are a type, might even be cousins, none are the same man. I even got one once who told me where he lived in great detail - in a town where I have a cousin who is well-known, and when I urged him to contact my cousin, I never heard from him again.

For the most part, they have similar profiles and yahoo email addresses. They are self-employed engineers, construction bosses, etc, and all are well off financially - which eventually leads up to the overseas trip that when something happens, they need your help to get home again.

That's when I report them as scammers. So sad...
 kari135
Msg: 3 (view)

How can you tell if a profile is hidden?
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:49:36 PM
If you know the username and you get no results on the site search, search for the username with Google. If the account hasn't been deleted, it will show up there.
 kari135
Msg: 7 (view)

why do I have to disclose my income ?
Posted: 2/20/2013 8:38:12 PM

Its for stupid matching. No one is hooking you to a lie detector. No one can look at your profile and see it.

Stupid is right. Every time I've done an advanced search, I come up with no local matches - because apparently my income and level of education are not compatible. Besides, when a woman looks at a profile of a man who claims he wants an independent woman to travel with him to Europe frequently or spend half the year with him in Brazil, you know he's not looking for someone who's ticket he has to pay for.
 kari135
Msg: 43 (view)

What's the difference between dating and hanging out?
Posted: 2/19/2013 7:29:43 PM

gotta' agree with you. i was with someone who was on this site for 'dating'. in her mind this meant we did mostly what she wanted to do--when she wanted to do it--and i paid for everything. what a great deal ! using this ploy she could go out every night on someone-elses' dime. i think this technique is pretty much reserved for the female set. we didn't last long.

And that's worse than someone who wants no strings sex how? Nearly everyone who puts anything in their profile has their own interpretation of what they think it is. I'm clear about what I will and won't do, most especially once a correspondence or phone calls start. I do get a lot of messages from men who say they just want to hang out - and we do have a lot of interests in common - but they also expect sex immediately. Me, I want to know who I'm doing, but so far the only ones I've come across who are willing to accept that are either way too far away or liars. It's a real waste of time when someone you spend months or a year or more getting to know turns around and tells you they ''used to do all that and more before that first heart attack.'' Sorry, but I'm not a total couch potato. Or yeah, they do want someone to hang out with cuz it's lonely going to a restaurant for breakfast or lunch alone - but they also want sex immediately cuz they don't need those little pills, wink wink.
 kari135
Msg: 11 (view)

Have you ever wanted to write a book (a fiction story)?
Posted: 2/11/2013 11:51:57 AM

What I notice between those that finish their writing and those that try, but don't ...is the intent/ego of the author. The ones that are driven by a desire to leave a legacy...don't bother working the now and don't seem to finish.
The "now" ones, write and don't care if they are being read.. they are not driven by accolades...they don't notice. They are consistent and busy writing the next chapter.

Not always. I was just as avid a writer as I am a reader, but the year I spent taking care of my husband while he was dying - I just couldn't, I didn't have the emotional energy to use on anything but him. Since then it's been life itself intruding, packing, moving, repacking, moving again. And it still happening. Perhaps when I get settled in the next place. At least it's big enough that I won't have boxes stacked everywhere and feel like I'm living in an overstuffed storage unit. And I do still have the MIPS of the 3 I was working on.
 kari135
Msg: 20 (view)

New feature? Contacts - You are most likely to date...
Posted: 2/11/2013 10:14:52 AM
Wow. Someone tweaked something, because the jerk who told me to f... off is gone gone gone! But now there are some new ones, including Cowboy. Oh, dearie me... Still, there are only 2 our of 100 who are local and who I'd even consider dating - at least they haven't expressed any interest in trying to change me or convert me or anything like that.
 kari135
Msg: 19 (view)

New feature? Contacts - You are most likely to date...
Posted: 2/10/2013 6:41:06 PM

I guess I'm doing something wrong. I only have 10 on my list, and I had to laugh very hard as I looked at the list.

8/10 on said list are blocked from contacting me.

SMH, those PhD's you have working for you are idiots.

I have maybe 100 or so. Most of them are forumites who live far away - in other countries and hemispheres, aren't even close to being in my generation, are married, you get the idea. Some of them have blocked me after having ''the nerve to contact them''. There are maybe a handful that I do keep in contact with, but it's certainly not through POF.

What I'd really like to know, is there any way at all to delete someone from that list? I do look at it occasionally, and every time I do it irritates me to see - up in the Top 10, no less - someone who basically told me to go f*ck myself and blocked me when all I did was compliment him on a well-written profile. And why on earth would I want to date someone who lives 2,500 miles away?
 kari135
Msg: 21 (view)

crushes/fantasy relationships...
Posted: 8/10/2012 9:46:04 AM

Have you at middle age, ever had a secret crush or admired someone from afar & imagined what they were like & created a romantic scenario (not a sexual fantasy) out of boredom or because it had been a while since u had a real relationship rooted in reality?

I'm way past middle age, but I never did any of that. Too much of the 'here and now' in me, I think. At various times there have been some writers and singers who've gotten me through some bad patches, but I don't remember ever even wanting to meet them, let alone fantasizing about what they were really like.

It has been awhile since I've been in a real world relationship, but fantasizing about someone I don't even know? No, thanks. If I can't touch it, I don't want it.
 kari135
Msg: 11 (view)

Microsoft Security Essentials
Posted: 7/27/2012 7:28:27 AM

Use IMAP instead of POP and you won't lose e-mails. I know lots of people who lost all their e-mails when their webmail sites crashed or closed down.

Disable live links, check the text first before pasting them into a browser. Letting them open automatically gets you sucked to dangerous places.

You completely misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't talking about a webmail site crashing, I was talking about Outlook Express on my OWN computer crashing. Once emails are dowloaded to an email reader, they are gone from the web for good.

As for live links automatically opening, it they do that someone needs to tune up their internet security options. I've never had that happen. If I don't know whoever has sent it to me, I delete the whole thing. There's only one site that I get advertising from who's links I do open, and I've never had any trouble with that. I use the site a lot and I trust it. As for individuals sending me links, my anti virus program scans them before they open. If there's anything remotely suspicious, it won't allow the link to open. In fact, if it doesn't trust a website, it won't allow that to open either, and it explains what the problem is.
 kari135
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 7/27/2012 7:27:42 AM

Use IMAP instead of POP and you won't lose e-mails. I know lots of people who lost all their e-mails when their webmail sites crashed or closed down.

Disable live links, check the text first before pasting them into a browser. Letting them open automatically gets you sucked to dangerous places.

You completely misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't talking about a webmail site crashing, I was talking about Outlook Express on my OWN computer crashing. Once emails are dowloaded to an email reader, they are gone from the web for good.

As for live links automatically opening, it they do that someone needs to tune up their internet security options. I've never had that happen. If I don't know whoever has sent it to me, I delete the whole thing. There's only one site that I get advertising from who's links I do open, and I've never had any trouble with that. I use the site a lot and I trust it. As for individuals sending me links, my anti virus program scans them before they open. If there's anything remotely suspicious, it won't allow the link to open. In fact, if it doesn't trust a website, it won't allow that to open either, and it explains what the problem is.
 kari135
Msg: 23 (view)

offended?
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:12:52 AM
I assume the context here for being 'offended' is primarily the forums. Why on earth would anyone be offended by a complete and total stranger's different opinion? I do at times find myself amazed, amused, bewildered, and boggled by some of the comments I see and some of the messages I get. I've also made some friends on this forum, and one other dating site, friends who live all over the US, other countries, other hemispheres. Several of them have gotten married since we first became friends - and not to partners they found on dating sites. But I'm not easily offended, myself. I can't even remember the last time it happened - I'm sure it must have happened, I just don't remember.
 kari135
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 7/25/2012 6:09:59 PM

You e-mail should NOT be webmail, and you should disable live links in e-mail. Make sure your e-mailer can't access the web so you won't be sent to dangerous web sites by spam or spoofed e-mails.

NOBODY should be doing any banking, health records, company account billing investing or purchasing over the web. Research, then phone to make the order. Refuse all efforts to force you to on-line billing. You'll have no records and they can do what they want, and you won't get notifications you need to respond to - or proof you did reply.

Where did you get those ideas? Obviously you've never had an email reader crash and destroy all your emails. Once I found out I could access my email through webmail, I also discovered the way the provider had the spam filter set up it was also grabbing and deleting all kinds of things I wanted - like bank statements, and a substantial percentage of personal emails as well.

Disable live links? Why? I'd never get videos of my grandbaby then. Or youtubes that some of my friends liked and thought I'd like as well. Of course, my friends are all bright enough to know how to clean up emails they fwd, and send blind copies so if there is a bot searching for addresses, they can't be found.

I do all of my financial stuff online, from buying to making monthly payments, to having my monthly social security check direct deposited. I have very bad luck with using the postal service - I used to have my SS check mailed until it was delivered to the wr ong address and it took me 2 weeks to get a replacement - which was still misdelivred. When you pay for anything online you do indeed get an email receipt which you can print and file if you want to waste the paper. What you don't do is keep your username and passwords on your computer. They can be on a flash drive or printed on paper.
 kari135
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 7/25/2012 9:43:51 AM
I use BitDefender Internet Security 2012, and have WSE disabled. One of the problems with having multiple programs running for all the little specific protections is that whenever they run, they check all the other security programs as well. THAT takes up a lot of time and slows computers down considerably. And some of the free programs won't work with other free programs - you get nothing useful by having them.
 kari135
Msg: 12 (view)

Have Million Moms crossed the lines???
Posted: 5/6/2012 4:53:58 PM
What I really don't get is why the homophobes still haven't figured out that absolutely all of the gays/lesbians had hetero parents. And I really don't get the kind of homophobia that caused a father not long ago to kill his 4 year old son for being 'gay' because the kid patted another kid on the backside.
 kari135
Msg: 123 (view)

Ever been asked,Why aren't you married?
Posted: 5/4/2012 3:42:14 PM
My favorite: "You'll make a great wife, but I'm not in the market." He was right, I did make someone else a great wife - but not him. His loss.
 kari135
Msg: 45 (view)

First Contact ...Men or women?
Posted: 5/4/2012 3:35:17 PM

Sending-out first contacts e-mails to women here is completely futile. Most busy, productive men here have come to realize that.

If you want to meet a great guy, you'll have to exit your comfort zone and contact him first.

Comfort zone? Give me a break. For several years, since I joined the first dating site, I've sent first contacts to any man with a profile that looked interesting. At least 98% ignored me, 1% got snarky and at times blocked me, and the remaining 1% answered because they wanted to know what life was 'really' like in Alaska because they had children in the military who were stationed there.

There are plenty who claim they want exactly what I have to offer, but then they'll come up with something like "I like petite women, so if you're over 5'2" and 100 lbs, don't bother me." And you wouldn't believe how many men in their 60s are looking for a woman young enough to start another family!

I always answer any message I'm sent, and I'm never snippy. But I don't send first contacts to anyone other than forumites, and I haven't even done that since POF decided to do away with subject lines for messages.
 kari135
Msg: 56 (view)

If a person initiates contact with you on POF, do you expect for them to have read your profile?
Posted: 5/2/2012 11:09:43 AM

Lot of women on here are just playing games.

So are a lot of men. There are a few I maintain regular contact with, but they mostly are not anywhere near my city, or even my state. The last time I contacted a man first on POF, I got a really rude response, following which he blocked me. It never occurred to me that anyone would be insulted by being complimented on a well written profile. The only reason I stay on POF is to take part in the forums now.
 kari135
Msg: 39 (view)

When a woman sends the first message.
Posted: 4/14/2012 7:54:50 PM
I don't bother sending messages to anyone who isn't on the forums any more. The last time I did that I got a nasty comment and blocked - and all I did was compliment him on a well done profile.

Now, if someone looks interesting I'll add them to my favorites list. And I say in my own profile they are wecome to ask why.
 kari135
Msg: 78 (view)

Am I asking too much?
Posted: 4/4/2012 8:31:23 PM

2. If she puts you on her 'favorites list' vs actually taking a moment to ever write a proper greeting - she's not interested...period.

Not necessarily true. I have a lot of favorites that I never contact. Sometimes I like their profile, something they say on the forums, a collection of interests that appeal to me, and at one point it was anyone who could actually use proper grammar and spell. A lot of them are the wrong age, in the wong part of the country, in the wrong country. It doesn't make them less interesting. But since nearly all of them live elsewhere and have mail settings that exclude me, if they want to know why I favorited them they have to contact me first to ask. Very few do so.
 kari135
Msg: 48 (view)

Crocs...the single UGLIEST shoe ever invented.
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:11:54 AM
It's all about comfort. I love Birks, and Tevas, and Crocs. But my feet change size and configuration depending on the weather and the state of my arthritis (usually not noticeable), so I switch back and forth to whichever one feels best. I also do a lot of walking, so it's usually Crocs. Whoever compared them to gummi bears for feet was sright. I've never gotten a single blister from Crocs.
 kari135
Msg: 37 (view)

Post Meopause: Vaginal Atrophy & Hormone Replacement Therapy [HRT]
Posted: 3/28/2012 8:22:50 PM

Unfortunately, this thread has taken a direction from its original intent. Funny how that happens.

It always happens. Everyone who posts does so from their own experiences and opinions. Experiences are personal, opinions may be nothing more than she said/he said/she said carried to the nth degree.

I can only speak to my own experiences, and at the time, there was no such thing as HRT. Premarin was all there was. No other alternaives. And no exotic lubes, as someone mentioned earlier - nothing but KY Jelly.

And yes, I have an excellent memory and I remember (sometimes with great sorrow) what desire feels like. Doesn't do me any good at all now, though.
 kari135
Msg: 28 (view)

Post Meopause: Vaginal Atrophy & Hormone Replacement Therapy [HRT]
Posted: 3/27/2012 6:52:47 PM

I think HRT is up to the woman and her doctor to decide.

It would be nice if that were true. Twenty fiive years ago I had a complete hysterectomy, two surgeries in the same year. No cervix, no uterus, no ovaries. Until the year 2000 I had no problem getting Premarin. Then I moved to the Lower 48 and couldn't find a single doc who would prescribe them, no matter what part of the country I lived in. The dialogue was always the same:
"You might get cervical cancer."
Me: "I won't, I don't have a cervix."
"You might get uterine cancer."
Me: "I won't, I don't have a uterus."
"You might get ovarian cancer."
Me: "If I had my damned ovaries, do you really think I'd be here asking?"
"I don't care. I won't give you any anyway."

Take it from me, there are also some substantial side effects from doing without hormones that have nothing to do with sex drive. It also sucks, having a good memory I'd be a lot happier if I didn't know how good it used to be.
 kari135
Msg: 65 (view)

Instinct of Nature
Posted: 3/21/2012 9:40:19 PM

Kari 135 Said

"Name one species of animal of any kind other than homo sapiens that rapes the babies of it's own species."

I don't know about that, but several eat their young.

Male bears will eat anything, including their own young.

A male lion who has won a new pride will eat - or at least kill - all the cubs he didn't sire. It's a biological imperative to make the females go into heat again so the male can provide his own new genes. It's a higher food chain predator thing. It doesn't happen with grazers.

But not a single male animal 'rapes' any female of his species who hasn't come into heat first. That alone excludes all the babies - the real babies, not just the adult offspring.
 kari135
Msg: 50 (view)

Instinct of Nature
Posted: 3/21/2012 3:12:17 PM

monkies, and my hamster had babies with one of it's own babbies. and i've had cats do that too. and i've seen my cats and dogs mate, it's always the male raping the female, that female be freaking out. and i've seen male dogs rape other male dogs. my dog tryed to hump my leg, he was trying to rape me.

In-breeding and line breeding is in no way similar to a 40 year old man raping a 9 month old baby. There are also a lot of animals of all kinds who do have a preference for their prospective mates. A stallion may be used solely for breeding, but he may still have a favorite mare, and she may just as well prefer him, too. As for all those dogs and cats, the h owling and yowling is a part of the mating process, not a female screaming 'rape!' If you have all that many mating, you'd be a lot better off having them all neutered.

As for your dog humping your leg or other male dogs, it's a dominance/submissive thing. It's up to you to control him and teach him that you are the dominant one. He's not trying to 'rape' you.
 kari135

Instinct of Nature
Posted: 3/21/2012 1:46:50 PM

no we aren't. people aren't animals and have evolved from what they used to be. men wanted sex to keep th species alive and women wanted to security to ensure themselves and their kids wouldn't die out. the world is no longer the same place. in today's world, it's safer to have a steady mate to provide stabilitiy to kids and ensure that we aren't all giving each other std's

Men (meaning mankind) have evolved?

Name one species of animal of any kind other than homo sapiens that rapes the babies of it's own species.
 kari135
Msg: 71 (view)

Am I asking too much?
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:15:41 PM

daltexjack

With that pic you will not have to worry too much about the women who only want to put you on low priority in their lives anyway. Try one out in the light, clear up close and smiling. So much more appealing. I agree about the texting and taking calls when they are meeting you. It would be a dealbreaker for me and I would be gone.

To each his own. I like his pic, it's real. And it shows he really does have a job, which quite a few lie about. I've seen more than enough photos of 'happy smiling faces' that look like ads for dentistry. There's nothing whatsoever appealing about them for me.

As for texting and calls, the only acceptable reason would be having one's children call, depending on their ages. And that should be made clear in the beginning. It's easy enough to set a cell to vibrate only, and choose not to answer any other calls.
 kari135

apostrophe s
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:39:03 PM

I always get my apostrophe's mixed up with my asterisk's. Its just to hard to keep them strait some how. Each one has it's proper use, and their must be some way I can remember what each one partains too.

Can you hear my eyes rolling??????
 kari135
Msg: 5 (view)

apostrophe s
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:28:40 PM

POF.com is the world largest online dating site.

The grammar is wrong, it should be "The world's largest" But I've heard rumors that Markus sold it to an Asian company. That means if they are going to use proper grammar they'll either need to hire someone who is a native English speaker or a truly bilingual speaker of English and whatever else.

But I've also noticed that in the US, at least, the native English speakers are frequently clueless about their own language. I see way too many profiles using 'dinning' instead of 'dining' and 'quite' instead of 'quiet.'

Maybe I'm just getting pickier in my dotage.
 kari135
Msg: 85 (view)

without warning
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:39:05 PM

We only control our own choices and actions.

In my universe, the only thing people actually control is their reaction to choices made by others, choices that impact them personally.
 kari135
Msg: 81 (view)

without warning
Posted: 3/16/2012 12:41:05 PM

Sooo how do these PEOPLE justify their actions?

They don't, can't, or won't bother trying.
 kari135
Msg: 32 (view)

Who do YOU think you are? (genealogy)
Posted: 3/15/2012 6:03:00 PM
Some interesting bits. I'm German, Irish, French, and Apache - either Chiricahua or Mescalero, both of which include some Mexican. Long ago there used to be a joke about me: the French are most volatile, Germans methodical, Irish hold grudges forever, the Apaches were most creative at revenge, so never piss her off!

I had a great uncle who homesteaded in Montana and travelled by an ox drawn covered wagon, an uncle who played pro baseball for the St Louis Browns (he was the first Native American to be a professional athlete, but no one but the family knew it); a great great grandfather who was in the official line for the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire - near the bottom of the list, and a lot of people would have had to die of war or disease first, but he was there.

What I find most interesting are the individual stories, though, and there are so many I won't repeat any of them.
 kari135
Msg: 8 (view)

normally 1 in 3 messages get responded to - True?
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:19:26 PM
I almost never get any kind of response from anyone I send a message to, other than forumites. They are all ones who claim they are looking for friends and pen pals, too. But the last time I did send one - almost a year ago - it was just to compliment someone on a well written profile. I got a response from that one: "What's it to you?" and he blocked me. Too bad, he uses his business name as his screen name. Not someone I'd ever recommend the services of, after that. So I don't send any messages to anyone now.
 kari135
Msg: 116 (view)

Daily Beer Drinking
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:42:59 PM
And strange as it may seem, just drinking too much water can kill. There was a woman back in the '70s who was convinced - no matter what the doctors told her - that she had cancer and the only way to cure it was to drink enough water to wash it all away. She didn't have cancer, but the sheer quantity of water she ingested destroyed her electrolyte balance beyond recovery, and she did die.
 kari135
Msg: 105 (view)

Daily Beer Drinking
Posted: 3/13/2012 10:14:40 AM

Heavy drinking does not have any health benefits. Apart from a wide range of negative health consequences, including an increased risk for many types of cancer, it also contributes to injury, violence, increased body weight, and impaired cognitive function. It's responsible for about 79,000 deaths a year in the U.S.

Oh, for pity's sake. Everyone dies of something sooner or later. I don't advocate heavy drinking, but I must have missed the part where this thread switched from daily drinking to heavy drinking. Some people actually drink because they are physically addicted, some people drink to relax - and it's entirely possible that it's one drink per day, and the assorted problems have nothing to do with alcohol at all. Some people are self-medicating other issues.

Has it ever occurred to anyone posting here that focusing on a choice of lifestyle can be just as much of an addiction as any other?
 kari135
Msg: 34 (view)

plenty of fish getting bad rep.
Posted: 3/11/2012 10:10:06 PM
What exactly is a bad rep? There are plenty of sites dedicated to all kinds of sex, straight, bi, group, cross dressing, voyeurism, exhibitionism... you name it, it's out there. POF does have gay/lesbian/intimate encounters, but they aren't the largest part by any means.

What I really don't get are the ones who swear all they want is someone to hang out with - no sex whatsoever - or just want long distance pen pals, but still are too picky to respond. Or if they're looking for a LTR they won't consider meeting anyone who doesn't meet their personal blue print. Do they not realize that - at best - they aren't gong to find anyone at all without dating them first? I have met some neat people online and continue to keep in contact with them, but it's maybe one out of several hundred. And they haven't all been POF'ers, either.
 kari135
Msg: 63 (view)

Am I asking too much?
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:17:56 PM
Here is a bit of a man's profile. It's actually quite long, but this is the beginning of it. He gets into much more detail as well. This is sooo not someone I could ever live with!

God is number one in my life.
I believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the USA.

I'm a United States Army Veteran.
I do not follow any man.
I respect all and fear none.
I am totally debt free.
I do not smoke or do drugs.
I'm a Republican and a NRA Life Member
 kari135
Msg: 93 (view)

Daily Beer Drinking
Posted: 3/11/2012 4:34:06 PM

Who actually cares what mainstream medicine has to say.I mean,they have gotten it so terribly wrong in the past,and continue to do so....doctors make a lot of money don't they?

It's not just the doctors - in fact, they don't make as much as you might think, not after paying for malpractice insurance. And most of them don't rock the public opinion boat, either.

When my husband died, his death certificate said it was due to smoking, but his lungs were about the only part of him that was healthy. It was actually multiple organ failure, beginning with liver disease caused b y a dirty transfusion 40-odd years earlier, but it came from a military hospital. The ones who really make money are the chemical industry. I'd really like to see a comparative study on lung cancer from organically grown tobacco versus tobacco grown with petrochemical fertilizers and weed killers.
 kari135
Msg: 88 (view)

Daily Beer Drinking
Posted: 3/9/2012 10:22:40 PM
I find it a bit weird that people are still arguing over a question that was posted January '09 by someone who is no longer a member of the site.

What ever happened to the concept of 'Live and let live'? I like beer with pizza and bbq, but I rarely finish a whole can/bottle. I prefer scotch, but only get it rarely because the brand I prefer is too spendy. I also like Metaxa, but haven't had that in a couple years because it's even more pricey. I'm mostly a vegetarian because I don't like paying for the meat I prefer.

I don't have a problem with other people's preferences, and if they have a problem with mine, it's their problem and not mine - unless they try to change me. That is so not gonna happen.
 kari135

Am I asking too much?
Posted: 3/9/2012 9:56:30 PM

I see these lines in almost all women's profiles in my age group: "My family and friends come first," "I like to spend time with friends and family," or something to that effect. MY question: Is this code for "I'm not really serious about dating or meeting a man since I won't stay off the phone to my family and friends long enough to have a conversation or date?" Enlighten me please, ladies.

A lot of men do the same thing, only they are more specific. As in "God comes first in my life, then my country, then my family." So if one is lucky (?) enough to meet one of them, you will always know where you come on his list - maybe a good, solid, fourth place.

If I had a dollar for every one of those I've seen, I could spend the next 10 years on a pay site.
 kari135
Msg: 57 (view)

without warning
Posted: 3/9/2012 12:59:26 PM

There is no such thing as "blind sided".....Like what was said, there are always situations in the past that if this does happen, it wouldn't come as a surprise...I don't buy the "blind sided" comment at all!

And since it hasn't happened to you or anyone you know at all well, that means it doesn't happen?

I sure as hell wasn't blindsided by my first husband - it's obvious when someone doesn't want to be married, period, and keeps moving in with other women.

The next one, yup, I definitely was blindsided. Great home life, we worked together very well in a kind of family business, great sex life, both of us wanted at least a couple kids, made a lot of plans for the future. And most of the plans were his, not mine, although I had no problem with any of them. No mismatches or arguments of any kind. Then one day we're having lunch in town, and he tells me "You'll make a great wife for someone else, but I've decided I don't want to get married."

No red flags, nothing to see coming. But you know what's even more strange? It's been over 40 years since then and we're still on good terms - but he still has no idea why he decided to break it off, and I believe him.
 kari135
Msg: 39 (view)

without warning
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:32:53 PM
I've read all the responses so far, and what I find somewhat boggling is that every response seems to be from the personal history of the person giving it. There really are people, both men and women, who give no warning whatsoever. They aren't quite sociopaths, but close - very close. If they decide something bothers them, they are so gone it's like watching a vanishing act. They take no one else into consideeration. There are NO warnings, they are just gone - or they insist the partner - non-partner at that point - get out immediately.

There are occasionally times I wish I'd lived in your worlds, but most of the time I'm glad I haven't.
 kari135
Msg: 187 (view)

Mens Dating Expenses/Dating Experiences.
Posted: 2/29/2012 12:02:15 PM
Nice to know I'm still on the weird side of normal. It's been a very long time since I actually asked anyone out on a date, and when I did the asking, I did the paying. These days I'd prefer something easy like pizza or McDonald's. If your conversation can't impress me, there's no place you could take me that would change my opinion anyway.
 kari135
Msg: 81 (view)

Is 61 the cut-off age for having any luck on POF?
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:51:21 AM
I don't have any set parameters for age, though I prefer about 5 years below and above my own age. What does boggle me is that the 'matches' that POF and other sites find for me are mostly 40-somethings. Or they'll like dogs (which is a requirement for me) but only if the dogs are rottweilers. Or they are religious freaks of one kind or another. Or they are specific about what kind of politics they find acceptable. When I do come across a profile in my preferred age range, by golly, they're looking for 40-somethings too! And that doesn't count the ones who want to spend half the year on a cruise ship, or snowbirding, or seeing every state in the Lower 48 from the back of a Harley.

I don't bother contacting anyone myself anymore. If I find something in a profile that interests me, I add it to my favorites list. Some will contact me then, most won't. And a few of those who do contact me will become email buddies, since none of them live anywhere near me - some don't even live in the same country or hemisphere.

I guess I'm past my 'use by' date, too.
 kari135
Msg: 43 (view)

Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:08:57 PM

This is a bit shortsighted. Years ago, I used to frequent chat rooms on Paltalk. The atheists and the Xtians were always going at each other. One of the Xtians found out the real name of one of the atheists and called the school where he taught in an effort to get him fired.

Yup. Back in the days when I was on various newsgroups, there was a woman on one of them that someone took rabid exception to. The someone did some searching and found her real name and home address, and firebombed her house. Unfortunately, it was someone else with the same name on the opposite side of the continent.

I always wondered what she told her insurance company - 'geez, it was all a mistake, I just have the wrong name'?

Gotta love those old unmoderated newsgroups...
 kari135
Msg: 35 (view)

Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 10:03:03 AM
I told someone to google me once for something I'd written. He emailed back and said I'd been a busy little ***, hadn't I - so I googled myself. There are hundreds of blogs and fake groups and forums that my cyber stalker has created that come up. Fortunately, I'm one of around 20 or so people he's targeted, but I sure am glad I don't have to worry anymore about a prospective employer looking up info on me!

And btw, I do have a unique name. I'm the only one of me in the US, so there's no way I could blame any of it on someone else.
 kari135

Free Ebooks
Posted: 2/9/2012 10:36:10 AM

Does anyone know of a site in which you can get free eBooks??? I have a android tablet and would love to down load more books but 7.00 dollars or more for a eBook is kind of high. I know the public library does it but do you know of any other sites that will allow me to safely download eBooks??

There are a ton of sites, along with programs that will translate one format into another. Send me a message and I can give you a mega list. The 3 major ones are Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Borders for free downloadable apps, and the rest of the sites you can choose which format you want. The prices run from free on up - and 7.00 is fairly high for most of what's available.

Show ALL Forums