Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Haiku Connection
 late™
Msg: 2567 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 4:19:16 PM
Wha?

Ya for Canada
land of the frozen chosen
my home, my country

Notice us please
we are silent, sometimes blind
stop, listen closely

hello flower, everybody
 late™
Msg: 2565 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 4:06:20 PM
is it relative
time and space, the speed of light
infinite, like love
 late™
Msg: 2564 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:50:47 PM
ok ...it's Monday!
Tuesday waits for tomorrow
time just works like that
 late™
Msg: 2562 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:44:19 PM
aha! this one does
that one doesn't , which one what?
I am so confused
 late™
Msg: 2561 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:34:58 PM
making the best hand
I took four fingers and thumb
presto change-o done
 late™
Msg: 5 (view)

Sent Msg issue
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:22:46 PM
As you are getting no message screen explaining why it isn't going through, I can't think of anything else. No words with similes that might trip the filter? Any numerical content? Symbols?

The filter doesn't work via context, sometimes the reason is right under your nose, yet stays hidden. Has the very same identical message worked before in first contacts? If so, then yes, you may have a "doing nothing wrong" glitch, ...but 4 times in a row?
 late™
Msg: 2555 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:14:13 PM
pick up the pieces
throw them up high in the air
snowing down on you
 late™
Msg: 8 (view)

If you were a moderator
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:52:06 PM
I would require all posters to be single, not in a relationship, have a recent face photo, and to remember this is a SINGLE'S SITE.

Not quite, the forum site and the dating site are separate entities. The dating side is supposed to be all about "us", the discussion site is supposed to be all about discussing/debating topics, ....not about "us". The fact is, many lasting friendships form on the discussion forum side of things, as such; many people stay on after either finding someone or any number of reasons for moving on from "the search".

I'm still single, but I have many friendships that are maintained by frequenting this place, some that go back over 5 years.

IMO, what someone's status or circumstance is shouldn't have any bearing on their validity in being "here", after all, "WHO they are has absolutely no bearing what is discussed or debated on these threads, ...what they say however, does.

I would email the Original Poster when you moved a thread with a reason why...

Ha ha... I remember when this site had a tiny fraction of its current user base, ...and still there was no time/resources to do this.

sometimes it just doesn't make any sense that they are moved...

It all hinges on understanding the forum's purpose, rules and guidelines and the specific subject matter of each respective forum. Some people don't even realize that it is possible to be "off-topic" in the Off-Topic forum, a quick review of the posting guidelines makes it crystal clear though.

Or post on the thread why it was moved, at least then we would know why, so we didn't make the same mistake again.

Time and resources again, the onus is on the users to investigate why a thread is moved, deleted or other things, by reading the rules guidelines until they understand, granted there are some who even after reading, won't clue in.
 late™
Msg: 7 (view)

If you were a moderator
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:39:26 PM

the one thing i'd like to see is that the ask a guy/ask a girl forums be completely emptied

Ha! actually, I agree with the more tenured moderators on this site, ...those two forums should be deleted, ...completely.

lots of stupid wise assed posts

That would be the reasoning for the above statement.

late™
Msg: 3 (view)

Review feature...
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:35:31 PM
Actually, the Testimonial feature which is adjunct to the Favorites feature, somewhat provides for this .
 late™

Helpless
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:32:32 PM

This one's not as good, but I'd like to think I'm on a roll. :-)

I agree with the latter, not the former... ha ha.

Great write!
 late™
Msg: 16 (view)

When the holidays are a source of saddness or pain...
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:27:37 PM
I lost my mother on Christmas eve almost 3 years ago, ...I doubt that this will ever NOT be a weight on me at this time of year.

Last year I really didn't have anywhere to go for Christmas, and honestly, I can't remember how I spent it. This year I will spend it in the company of a close friend's family ...a family much like mine was, while my parents still lived.

I'm looking forward to it, but ...as lovely a time as I expect it to be, ...Christmas will always be a bittersweet time for me, memory is like that.
 late™
Msg: 1 (view)

About a man...
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:16:16 PM
When my father died in late 2002, I was in shock, everything is still a blur up to landing at the Regina airport after a very long and lonely flight. It was early December and fiercely cold; that crisp, almost electric-dry prairie cold.

My aunt Esther picked me up at the airport, I was the last of the kids to arrive, ...we drove back in silence, which was unusual because my aunt and I are/were two peas in a pod, and usually talked each other's ears off, but at these times, our family can tend to be stoic about sadness.

When we got home, I came through the patio doors and right in front of me was this man, a stranger... He was a small man, bald, looking to be in his late '60s, he was smiling, ...a truly radiant smile, I mean he looked like a saint or an ascetic. He shined. I was introduced to him and I shook his hand mumbling a greeting and locking eyes ...for just a moment, after which he handed me a sheet of paper. He then passed by me and left, having already said his goodbyes. My aunt put her hand on my shoulder and said, very quietly, "you should read that". I was still standing where I was when I had come in. I looked down at the paper now oblivious to my family around me and I began to read. It was this man's "story".

I will try to tell it as best I can from memory, I only read it once. I wish I still had it but like many of my possessions, it's lost to all but memory. The story began with how he had been orphaned at 14, he told of the circumstances of loosing both parents. he was an only child. He then described climbing the steps of the orphanage alone after being dropped off, still in shock. At 14, almost a man, but at that moment, a scared and lonely little boy, ...an orphan.

He entered the orphanage and bumped into a tall man who smiled, said hello and asked, "What are you going to do with the rest of your life?" The boy stared at his feet in silence and after a few moments, he stepped sideways and tried to walk around the man who repeated his question; not in a demanding way and still smiling warmly. This scene repeated itself one more time.
Then the boy looked up and said, "I don't know". The man took him by the shoulder and walking him into the building said, "Well, you're 14, almost a man, and I wanted to know because you may be with us for two years but when you turn 16, you will have to make your way in the world, sooo... what do you want to do with the rest of your life?"

The boy said, "My father worked on a farm all his life, what do you think I should do?"

The man considered for a moment and asked, "Let me see your hands." The boy held up his hands and the man took them in his own and said, "you have very slender hands, not really suited to farming, perhaps you could learn to type, we have a typewriter here, you may use it if you like."

The man explained that typing was a skill that could lead to many different job opportunities when he had to leave the orphanage, and that it would be a very valuable skill if he decided to stay in school or even attend university some day. The boy did learn to type and did stay in school, and as a man attended university and after, he became a writer. He wrote for three newspapers and also wrote three novels. At that point in his life he was semi-retired from the papers but, still writing books and teaching.

The "man" who asked the question was my father, who had worked at the orphanage as a social worker for a few years, where he also met my mother, who was a nurse there. After they were married they fostered over 20 kids in the year before my older brother was born, 1952.

The piece of paper was a reprint of an editorial the man had written for a newspaper in his home town in British Columbia as a tribute to my father, after hearing about dad's passing. He flew out to Regina to pay his respects to him, ...and to us.

The last few lines are what touched my heart so deeply.

The small, smiling, radiant man had written:

"All of my life, not a day passed without thinking of this wonderful man and how he changed my life at a point when I was so vulnerable, so alone, so young. So I ask you all this: What are you going to do with the rest of your life?"
 late™
Msg: 15 (view)

thumbs up, thumbs down
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:00:55 PM
I think sometimes people try to force the templates of of other discussion/debate/chat/social sites onto the one we have here.

Most of the time it's just meaningless fluff, things that would add nothing positive.

And I concur: to this suggestion.

late™
Msg: 2554 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 1:55:37 PM
seeming to pierce me
My desire for her wounds me
like a silent sword

Ack!

Makes my soul nervous
these rushed and forced corrections
time is short must type
 late™

Why can';t I post more than twice
Posted: 12/14/2009 1:12:32 PM
Thanks to both you and Late for answering my questions.

Ha! no, Thank You! ...for taking the time to read and comprehend something a very few people put a lot of time into framing. If more people were like you this place would be a LOT easier for the moderators to maintain.

late™
Msg: 21 (view)

Suffering is really just a catalyst for change
Posted: 12/14/2009 1:04:30 PM
OK. Kook... What the H... are you talking about? Do YOU even know? Woosyish...explain that, if you can, and please, Make Sense!

Ad hominem epithets often reflect on those who employ them, aside from that, on to the aphorism:

Waves can be very destructive, over long periods of time they can even shape coastlines as they are inherently; violent things.

On a personal level, a big ocean wave crashing down on one can cause great suffering; or with learned skill, can be ridden out and enjoyed.

Much like life.
 late™
Msg: 4 (view)

If you were a moderator
Posted: 12/14/2009 12:43:03 PM
f you were the moderator responsible for keeping this sight fun and interesting what would you do?

Return to the consensus model used exclusively back when traffic/quality was high and things got "done" a lot faster.

What would your criteria be for deleting a topic or even for asking some posters to leave?

Rules/guidelines.... to the letter.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the moderators use their judgment to enforce the rules of the site.

It's actually very Black/White not Grey if you understand the rules/guidelines, ...the only judgement needed is comprehension of both the rules/guidelines and the concensus model, ...where all involved are in the same book on the same page.

Also problem I have is they are not enforcing "main pic must show face".

Not part of forum moderator purview, the forums -when facilitated properly- are hands on, which means issues are acted on right away or at the most within a half an hour. The dating site is largely automated with little if any actual empirical oversight.

I was actually banned from a sight for two months for getting into an argument with one of those types.

Protagonist/Antagonist make the same amount of mess, requiring the same amount of time/resources to "clean up", hence there are only two valid options in regards to Flamers/Trolls:

Ignore
Ignore/Report

"...please, ...don't feed the trolls"
 late™
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 12/14/2009 12:06:17 PM
Since every topic related to dating/relationships/gender differences must have been covered by now

This has been opined at times from as early on as 2005, and it isn't the case.

Why not convert everything to "read-only"; people can browse for answers to their questions.

This is not the intent of these forums purpose, rules and guidelines as can be explored via the link provided by moderator, Ticketoride. "No Chat" has been explicit since day one. These forums are at their highest quality and traffic when it has stayed true to intent/rules/guidelines.

if quality forums are the goal, why keep "junk threads" at all

I agree, a more literal application of rules/guidelines in terms of thread validity would go a long way to bringing back the quality level once enjoyed here. Adherence to the consensus model would fix this in a small amount of time but, the process seems to be in flux at the moment.
 late™

Posted: 12/14/2009 11:26:10 AM
Does this 5-post limit apply to all forums or just certain ones

This is very useful for "junk threads", where there's not much more debate/discussion going on than agree/disagree. There are more substantive topics which become more informative (depending on how contributive posters are), the more they are posted to. These threads would be less viable if the restrictions were applied. The key is in knowing the difference between the two and this comes with experience.

Now if we could just convince management to delete threads that are years old, POF forum life would be great

This may apply to a more chat oriented site, this site has as its goal: Quality forums, and one of the aspects of this is archival.
 late™
Msg: 2 (view)

Sent Msg issue
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:56:32 AM
Since nobody but you knows the content of the message, you're best served by looking through the FAQ at the top of this forum.

Something in the message content is likely triggering a spam/scam/nuisance filter, these are based on trigger words/characters and not at all context based.
 late™
Msg: 3 (view)

e-mail settings
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:52:15 AM
Matching is algorithm based, there's no sooth-sayer involved or anything other than a math program. The feature is meant to bring people to the site and "look" at profiles, which if you think about it, increases your odds even if the algorithm was pure random because "you can't find if you don't look". Ultimately the best matching programing is in the brains of the end-users (YMMV) who actually read profiles beyond the profile pic and end-users (YMMV) who honestly/creatively create profiles that describe who they are accurately.

But if you don't look, your chances are zero.
 late™
Msg: 11 (view)

Just wondering why ?
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:29:06 AM
Well, the entire pic vetting process is never going to be perfect (understatement) due to lack of oversight.

The process is facilitated by random users with varying depths of understanding what the process is for. What is and isn't a valid picture has more to do with intent of both the site (purpose), the user (purpose) vetting the images, and the user (purpose) uploading often being at cross purposes/different agendas and ignorance (willful or otherwise) of the latter two.

it defaults into both men and women.

The same criteria apply, re: vetting, for both genders so I don't see how this even enters into it.

It is what it is, a lot of invalid pics get through (but if you can't know the end user's intent????) and a lot of valid pics are culled because there is no oversight designed into the process.

OK .. this morning I was cleaning up some pictures and had accidently place a picture that did not show my face as my front picture. Within an hour it was deleted by the site. I understand the rules and accept the decision to delete it ..... it was a simple error on my part and I have since placed an appropriate picture as my first picture

Somebody, or likely somebodies form the user base, saw it and correctly reported it invalid, this is where the original vetting process and the report main pic process are at a disconnect. The site deleted the pic, sure, but it was automated, aside from the user(s) who clicked on the link under it.

Like the vetting process, it is what it is, an impersonal automated system with any random user as the trigger.
 late™
Msg: 2548 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:13:27 AM
a small step for man
misspoken motto, oh neil
microphone problems?
 late™
Msg: 2542 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:43:29 PM
time to fly away
higher ground hidden meanings
secrets told to you
 late™
Msg: 13 (view)

thumbs up, thumbs down
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:24:45 PM

you may be a mod, an owner and/or a bully all in one.

None of the above

but can we let others post here?

Nobody is stopping them

or are you gonna monoployize the thread?

Not possible.

You're missing the big picture here, which is very simply resolved by doing some reading, resorting to ad hominem attacks and ignoring explanations from the moderator, Ticketoride; who wrote the book for these forums is not going to get you other answers ---> the answers are already there if you open your eyes and read, that simple.

Consider Ben Franklin's definition of insanity on this one too.
 late™
Msg: 9 (view)

thumbs up, thumbs down
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:49:19 PM
Sorry no, comes from having a hand in building and/or maintaining the place, no opinion needed, there's perspective based on an informed frame of reference, something that is obviously missing in the body of the OP.

Your "blah blah" is just what it looks like, empty and meaningless.

Do some reading - get a clue.
 late™
Msg: 2536 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:41:14 PM
calming in the storm
spiraling streams follow through
eyes at the middle
 late™
Msg: 2534 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:57:07 PM
and tell us what's up
any way you like or not
everything's a lock
 late™
Msg: 2532 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:40:32 PM
antsy for a scrap
the aardvark advances near
shiver, breathing fear
 late™
Msg: 2530 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:31:27 PM
quizzical fishes
with ruby red toes shining
boredom conquered now
 late™
Msg: 7 (view)

thumbs up, thumbs down
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:25:59 PM

how do you know it doesnt contribute to discussions?

Consider: DECORUM, ....read the purpose of this place, rules, guidelines, ....no crystal ball needed, just comprehension.
 late™
Msg: 2528 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:03:52 PM
and lonely men waste
sonnets whispered to deaf ears
heartbreak's futile song
 late™
Msg: 2526 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:17:08 PM
It just soothes your soul
coltrane bustin' flatted fifths
blowing alto sax

...groovin' on some post-bop, Giant Steps
 late™
Msg: 2523 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:15:54 PM
air- drop noise shipments
smokestack giants punch through clouds
like teeth from the earth
 late™
Msg: 2522 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:29:11 PM
farting unicorns
dirt road prancer, drunken sot
turn the page, slumber

...ahh belle petite mont fleur, merci.
 late™
Msg: 2519 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:23:09 PM
that still wonder naught
codeine hippos dancing 'round
my mind slowly lost
 late™
Msg: 27 (view)

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING IN THIS FORUM SECTION
Posted: 12/13/2009 1:59:51 PM
Mary Ellen Carter

She went down last October in a pouring driving rain.
The skipper, he'd been drinking and the Mate, he felt no pain.
Too close to Three Mile Rock, and she was dealt her mortal blow,
And the Mary Ellen Carter settled low.
There were just us five aboard her when she finally was awash.
We'd worked like hell to save her, all heedless of the cost.
And the groan she gave as she went down, it caused us to proclaim
That the Mary Ellen Carter would rise again.

Well, the owners wrote her off; not a nickel would they spend.
She gave twenty years of service, boys, then met her sorry end.
But insurance paid the loss to them, they let her rest below.
Then they laughed at us and said we had to go.
But we talked of her all winter, some days around the clock,
For she's worth a quarter million, afloat and at the dock.
And with every jar that hit the bar, we swore we would remain
And make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

Rise again, rise again, that her name not be lost
To the knowledge of men.
Those who loved her best and were with her till the end
Will make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

All spring, now, we've been with her on a barge lent by a friend.
Three dives a day in hard hat suit and twice I've had the bends.
Thank God it's only sixty feet and the currents here are slow
Or I'd never have the strength to go below.
But we've patched her rents, stopped her vents, dogged hatch and
porthole down.
Put cables to her, 'fore and aft and girded her around.
Tomorrow, noon, we hit the air and then take up the strain.
And watch the Mary Ellen Carter Rise Again.

For we couldn't leave her there, you see, to crumble into scale.
She'd saved our lives so many times, living through the gale
And the laughing, drunken rats who left her to a sorry grave
They won't be laughing in another day. . .

And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken
And life about to end
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend.
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

~ Stan Rogers (RIP)
 late™
Msg: 2518 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 1:37:26 PM
soaring in solace
lonely sky, mountain's embrace
entropy? leave us
 late™
Msg: 2515 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:42:44 PM
as gentle as wings
sharper than a falcon's beak
soar, cutting the sky
 late™
Msg: 28 (view)

Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:31:39 PM
A reality

Ignore trolls, don't feed them - it's just more mess to clean up.

The reality is, this type of nuisance is fleeting, as is their reality
 late™
Msg: 2512 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:25:32 PM
And new friends indeed
laughter, tears, giving takes need
let me go softly
 late™
Msg: 2 (view)

Helpless
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:22:44 PM
Wow ...excellent write.

More please
 late™
Msg: 1264 (view)

welcome to writin' for those in purgatory
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:17:49 PM
- a dogs dinner -

Stay out of trouble, they said
It left me a broken man
Take it easy, I was told
I almost died of complacency
Have a nice day, was the message
I gave up, useless platitudes
Fight the good fight, if you lose?
Live again, love again, fight another day

Hey brother, best of the season n' all.
Richard
 late™
Msg: 2510 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:48:58 AM
let's go out for lunch!
savoy truffle cherry punch
sweet surrender now

bonjour belle fleur
 late™
Msg: 2507 (view)

Haiku Connection
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:39:53 AM
it wasn't that bad...
it could have been worse, much worse
zombies can't be killed

hi all,
....I don't "do" baldness
 late™
Msg: 4 (view)

thumbs up, thumbs down
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:32:42 AM
In the forum replies why not have a "thumbs up and thumbs down" icon so others can vote for best answer.

This is at cross purposes to a discussion forum, the idea is to discuss/debate topics, with an archival aspect to keep track of different ideas, perspectives that change over time, not "compete" for popularity.

See:

Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value

Post #55 by moderator Ticketoride
 late™
Msg: 16 (view)

...or is thought observing thought...my mind cannot grasp the thought of thought observing thought.
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:15:45 AM
I'm firmly in favour of revising this to:

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis

A universal truth!
 late™
Msg: 24 (view)

Something a little less serious
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:39:16 AM
So, if you can't shrink a person, then why do certain body parts shrink?

Actually, the entire body gets shorter as it ages, but not at the atomic level.

And, as we age, some things get longer

like the nose for example.
 late™

Intimate encounter - how does the system know content of message?
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:12:14 AM

What I suspect happened is that I complimented a woman on her "features," and my comments were unwelcome, I was blocked

No, this won't trigger the IE filter, however if you don't want ladies to BLOCK you it's unwise to initiate contact with: "Hey, nice tits."

Show ALL Forums