Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: girls who lose weight look dramatically better!
 MWI
Msg: 18 (view)

girls who lose weight look dramatically better!
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:11:31 AM

oops- I meant to say 'one' I've never teased anyone for being overweight, let alone called them fat to their face. I got teased (a lot) as a kid for being thin( I hated being called skinny)- I didn't wear a bikini from when I was ten until I was about 21. To me, calling someone skinny is like calling them fat.

I've never teased anyone about their weight... or at least not intentionally.

I remember something from high school, that apparently BBW was more attractive back in the 1800's and that thin people were undesirable because they were more likely to die in the winter. It's current fashion trends of the last 40 years or so that have made it seem like a crime to be overweight.

Watch a movie... any movie. Most movies star straight white thin men and women. This is the image being projected, "look like this and have a happy ending."

Television shows are a bit more flexible, but again, predominately straight white thin men and women. On TV the BBW's wind up being the unfriendly snarky coworker/management/housekeeper.
 MWI
Msg: 6 (view)

Dating across the border..???
Posted: 1/5/2010 7:53:38 AM
Indeed crossing the border has become a pain. Just about everyone I know who has had an American girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance has eventually broken it off, myself included.

My advice is that whoever has the more flexible job, be the one to relocate/visit. It's fun to visit places and see places you'd otherwise have no reason to see. But my experience has been that the longer you're apart, the more stress it imposes, and that if one is uncommitted to it from the beginning, break it off sooner than later.

As for the dating of Americans to a Canadian. I can't think of any reason why not other than the aforementioned time and money spent to travel and potential harassment at border crossings.
 MWI
Msg: 20 (view)

Weird things you have had stolen from you
Posted: 1/5/2010 7:40:45 AM
I've never been robbed. Yet.

Though I don't give out my address to everyone and I'm not in the phone book. The only people who could rob me by knowing when I'm not home are my roommates and the landlord.

If someone were to rob me, they'd likely take the wrong stuff unless they went through the effort of taking all the duplicate items. The stories I hear though are people's homes are usually robbed by people they know, or by leaving their home "Inviting" (Lights off, expensive items in plain sight, no car in carport, no pets, "I'm on vacation" voicemail greetings, etc)

Facebook, twitter, blogs and google Latitude are also liabilities since if you live alone, the times you update these indicate if you're home or not.
 MWI
Msg: 23 (view)

Commercial Product and Services Discriminate Against Women
Posted: 12/21/2009 6:26:27 PM
I've often found that when given the choice of cheaper-but-same quality, cheaper always wins.

That said, the quality of products (in particularly clothes) can be deemed inferior, if not deliberately made to appeal only to one genders perceived stereotype.

With mens clothes, fabrics are more durable, and often last longer... unless you're buying them at Walmart or Real Canadian Superstore. (Store brand clothing from those stores have low thread counts and just wear out quickly.)

Childrens and teens clothes often last longer than adults clothes. I had clothes from high school I could still wear before I finally just threw all of it in a box and pretend it doesn't exist (I use it for packing materials when moving fragine items *LOL*.)

Womens clothes tend to contain a lot of synthetic materials which are much easier destroyed by washing. Ever see couples fight about doing laundry? Guys tend to not even look at the labels. It all goes in the laundry machine, then the dryer. If something is ruined, oh well buy another right?

Mens and Womens clothing are often not even comparable. There is not a significant difference in body shape to warrant non-unisex clothing, but rather it's done for style. If all clothing was like mens clothing, people would be less concerned about their weight, because the clothing often isn't fitted. If all clothing was like womens clothing, everyone would be self-conscious of their appearance because most clothing is fitted. Then you get into colours. Mens clothing is all dark and boring. Womens clothing is available in a variety of colours, but most of those colors will be of the pastel range.

Since it costs a company more money to make that many different lines of styles and colors it will cost more.
 MWI
Msg: 14 (view)

Girls who lose weight look dramatically better!
Posted: 12/18/2009 1:48:31 AM
Nitpick:

[Very Overweight] girls who lose weight look dramatically better [and are possibly healthier]!

Someone who is already a healthy weight would not look better should they look malnourished.

There is an interesting point of view though. Someone who already is an ideal weight and height, has a lower barrier to entry into the dating scene. Where as someone who isn't, is pretty much never considered by simple search criteria. Such is the problem of internet dating and personal ads.

And indeed, men and women who lose substantial weight to a healthy weight tend to look healthier. Is one's current weight their final weight, or their work-in-progress? If you knew your significant other was going to gain 100lbs in 4 years, would you have still hooked up with them?
 MWI
Msg: 15 (view)

Tiger Woods - Why
Posted: 12/4/2009 4:57:06 PM

As a comic (a male comic) on CNN's Joy Behar Show said last night, women may not understand until he asked Joy if people kept offering her $1000 shoes wouldn't she try on a pair or two? Joy seemed to understand after that.
Me? Still confused....

Actually this makes perfect sense. It's a test of one's willpower. Bible people will refer to Genesis and the tree of wisdom, etc.

If you dangle something in front of someone who wants it, long enough, often enough, they will eventually give in. For some people this could be a very small mole hill, and others a very large mountain.

And you never know how big that mountain is until you're put in that situation. There are always temptations.

On the flip side of this, there is also the socialite mentality, where certain people are drawn to certain risky behaviors because it's expected of them (Hilton, Spears and Lohan,) want the attention (for being a psychopath,) or will do anything for money.
 MWI
Msg: 50 (view)

Sacrificng things for love......
Posted: 12/1/2009 5:30:09 AM
- People won't give up their pets
- People won't give up their careers (unless they hate it)
- People won't give up their homes

Lots of other things people seem more flexible on.
For me, I'm less willing to move from Vancouver unless it's an improvement in a standard of living, but I don't care about the actual residence I'm in now. (eg, I'd rather not move somewhere where you need a car and have to drive 20 minutes to get groceries. Again.)
 MWI
Msg: 25 (view)

internet bullying
Posted: 12/1/2009 5:23:44 AM
The larger problem with internet bullying is that people don't realize that everything you say, is on the internet... forever.

I've managed to stay "off" the internet radar for years. That's primarily by not joining social networking sites at all, and not hopping on the latest-and-greatest internet fad (livejournal, facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.)

But things are out of hand and the governments that be, are populated by people who are not of the internet generation and really are hopeless at creating any law or regulation of the internet that won't drive unwanted activity deeper underground. You can not regulate peoples behavior.

People that want to be a narcissistic psychopath troll, will do so, and don't care if people kill themselves over their comments. There's entire (popular) websites dedicated to this.

Simply put, if a posting is not on your turf (eg, your blog), you have no reason to defend yourself from trolls. Delete or ignore them on your own turf, don't rush to defend your opinion on their turf because that is a losing battle.
 MWI
Msg: 67 (view)

5 to 1 ratio of women to men in Vancouver
Posted: 11/9/2009 1:20:52 AM

On PoF, we hear lots of allegations of female numbers but women get many, many more contacts and responses than men.

I'll be honest and say I've only had one contact the entire time. I haven't contacted anyone first yet. But in terms of people "looking" (from the "people who viewed you"), usually a few of those each time I login. I'd say women likely can just wait for the right person to contact them, or find someone. Guys on the other hand may only have the option of "find someone."

I know I need to get more photos. I have no idea what women believe is eye catching.
 MWI

Shiftwork
Posted: 11/9/2009 1:09:19 AM
I've never managed to work a day shift. Always graveyard shift. Gee that explains why I'm so pale. LOL.

What I hated about it was that I found it impossible to sleep during the day during the summer. Too hot. During winter, it's very cold during graveyard shift, so don't go outside.
 MWI
Msg: 10 (view)

Using a self-serve checkout at a supermarket.
Posted: 11/9/2009 12:52:15 AM
The only place I've been with the self-checkout is Superstore at Metrotown.

I always use the self-checkout since anything I buy I have to carry in bags. But I have seen people take their fully loaded shopping cart to these and I just kinda think to myself how silly they are.

Now for perspective, RCSS did pioneer the no-shopping-bags, however thats more because the company is cheap and exploits everything they can. The entire store would be self-checkouts if the union agreements permitted it.

If you are shopping at superstore, you're going there because you are being cheap and/or can bear poor customer service to begin with.

I shop at Safeway, even when I know it's more expensive. Mostly because it's closer. There's no self-checkouts there, and don't expect any in the foreseeable future. There's also dozens of asian groceries on the way there, so I could price shop if I felt like it.

re: Stealing bulk foods via the self checkout.
The problem is that anyone caught would just claim they punched in the wrong number. If it happens frequently, they'll have someone watch or even flag when that code is entered. Given, someone filling a bag and then abandoning it in the store accomplishes the same thing. Either way the company is out the money. So they may just opt to stop buying that product that people are stealing because "it never sells" according to an audit. The end result is eventually they'll just stop carrying the item.
 MWI
Msg: 27 (view)

new tv shows this fall
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:18 AM

with the way tv is nowadays to me .. I'd take a good ol movie anytime

Not much gets my interest. I don't subscribe to cable. If I want to see it, it has to be on Global's or CBC's, or Discovery Channel's websites.

I currently watch:
MythBusters (Discovery Channel)
Canadas worst driver (Discovery Channel)
House (Global) , love it
Heroes (Global), kinda meh, been kinda meh after the first season
The Border (CBC), kinda meh (watch it mostly for the fictionalized versions of real events)
Being Erica (CBC), love it
The National (news)/The Fifth Estate (CBC)

CBC really lacks content of interest to BC, let alone Vancouver.

I also watch various cartoons and anime but I'm not going to list them.
 MWI
Msg: 8 (view)

The M Word - Marriage
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:41:40 AM
Here's the link:
http://www.plentyoffish.com/marriage.aspx

And a lot of those photos I've seen before, yes every one of them has "want children" set to yes.

Though marriage may mean different things to different people. Some may want the very-expensive-in-a-church-wedding, gifts, throwing rice and stuff and others may simply want to sign some paperwork as a formality and otherwise live together to get the benefits that a legal marriage allows for, that singles do not get.
 MWI
Msg: 77 (view)

What's wrong with looking, thinking, and acting your age?
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:21:46 AM

What's wrong with looking, thinking, and acting your age?

Depends what your real age is.
For someone that is less than 18 to look over 18, that only benefit gets them into drinking early. For someone that is older than 18 to look younger than 18, leads to a lot of harassment from trying to enter such premises (I was carded till I was 25, even though I haven't even ordered.) Acting ones age didn't even factor into that.

The "Look your age" comment tends to be directed at how people conform to clothing fads. I can't really think of anything that would lead me to believe someone is younger or older than they are. The only thing that comes to mind involves how low or tight peoples jeans are.

Thinking your age might be directed at "acting" your age, again along certain trends or stereotypes for the time. What about adults who still collect barbies and hot wheels (believe me, they exist, and I think it's strange.) Just what defines "act your age?" Someone who isn't your age? Are we supposed to accept that we should conform to their stereotype? The colourful metaphor usage tends to give me more an idea of someones maturity, but not their age.

What I've noticed, at least with people on the internet, they are very quick to ask ones Age, Gender and Location. If you happen to be interesting, then you're asked for photos or video. This is the internet version of judging a book by it's cover. You can be talking to someone who is 10 years older than you and acts 10 years younger. Acting your age and Looking it does not matter except to someone considering you for long term relationship material.
 MWI
Msg: 30 (view)

Do you Swiffer?
Posted: 11/5/2009 1:59:55 AM
I don't like the Swiffer Wetjet, it leaves sticky residue.

I use a shamwow shammy instead of a rag, it holds "more" liquid, otherwise is as effective as a rag. Can't put them in a dryer though. I also know shammys have been around for a long time, never quite understood why people are not using them instead of paper towels for cleanup of spills and wiping down things.

Speaking of cleanup, if you want to know a horrible waste of paper towel. Go watch your local grocery store clean their shelves. Several rolls of paper towel and a bottle of cleaner. Per day, per department.

The only thing the swiffer, in my opinion, should be sued for are the small hard to reach areas (like around electronics) that are too much of a pain to disassemble each time.
 MWI
Msg: 7 (view)

The Olympic Torch
Posted: 11/5/2009 1:46:05 AM

Long-term planning and commitment to investing in many social programs lasts as long as the next election usually.

Yes, exactly. When the government switches regimes, then all the social programs get axed. Thats what the Liberals did when the NDP was kicked out, and that is what the NDP did to the Socreds programs. The NDP created a lot of union government jobs that the Liberals turn around and axed so they could P3P them.

In this one I was only trying to point out that funding that is set aside for social programs should not be the place that the government of the day goes looking for $ to fund the Olympics or any other major project. It isn't okay with me to make promises in these areas and not stand by them.

Historically, the provincial government promises, but never funds social programs till an election is going to come up, and then if they aren't re-elected they can blame the opposition for cutting. At least it seems that way.
http://www.gov.bc.ca/hsd/

$2.9M HOUSING OPENS FOR SENIORS IN PORT ALBERNI
$10.9M AFFORDABLE HOUSING BREAKS GROUND IN DAWSON CREEK
$9.8M HOMELESS HOUSING PROJECT BREAKS GROUND IN VICTORIA
NEW $4.2M-SUPPORTIVE HOUSING OPENS IN KELOWNA
NEW HOUSING FOR HOMELESS OPENS IN KAMLOOPS
CONSTRUCTION UNDERWAY ON GARFIELD HOTEL
PROVINCE FUNDS AFFORDABLE HOUSING IN WILLIAMS LAKE
PROVINCE PROVIDES $505K FOR RECOVERY HOUSE PURCHASE
NEW HOUSING OPTION FOR PEOPLE AT HOWE SHELTER (Vancouver)
$21.6M DEVELOPMENT CREATES JOBS AND SUPPORTIVE HOUSING (Vancouver)

So, the government isn't "doing nothing about homeless", just these things aren't making news, just Olympic protests are. Ask any of those protesters if they know about these projects. Unfortunately the government website only goes back to June 2009. Coincidentally the election was in May.
 MWI
Msg: 2 (view)

all season vs all weather tires - who knew there was a difference?
Posted: 11/5/2009 1:03:04 AM
People in Vancouver and Victoria tend to drive around with improper tires for the season. The rest of the country needs, if not requires all-season or winter tires in the winter.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/06/your_winter_tire_questions_ans/
Q. Are "all weather" tires winter tires?

A. The all weather tire is another designation that’s thrown around especially by a couple of brand names. It’s a tire that’s just soft enough or just pliable enough to qualify as a winter tire that’s in the compound of the tread blocks, but designed to be used all year long, more like an all season. The problem is that it’s not perfect at either thing. It’s still too hard to be fully optimized as a winter tire. You’re better off getting a pure winter tire.

Also the comment below it goes with your original post:
I would like further clarification of your designation of 'All Weather' tires. My understanding is that there is only one brand, Nokian, that produces a true 'All Weather' tire. This is due to transport Canada's severe winter weather emblem stamp of approval on the sidewall, therefore designating the tire as a "true winter tire" as you replied. This approval, combined with a mileage warranty from the manufacturer, is why their tire is designated 'all weather' and has nothing to do with the tire being inferior to a "true" winter tire -it is a true winter tire! The 'other' manufacturer's that you referred to as designating their tires as 'all weather' have no severe service approval from transport Canada as I understand. True? Posted by: Eli Johnson | Feb 6, 08 11:16 PM

Live anywhere east of Vancouver, and you'll regret not having winter tires in the winter when it snows.
 MWI

The Olympic Torch
Posted: 11/4/2009 5:59:47 AM

It's unrealistic to expect the government to "solve" a homeless, health care, or education problem when it is never going to be solved by the government of the day without taking away peoples rights and freedoms.

Could you please explain what you mean here? I don't want to jump to any conclusions...

What I'm getting at, is that no government has ever solved these problems and never will.

Unless we want the government to start taking people off the street and locking them away, there will always be homeless-by-choice people.

Health care? How much money would the government save on health care if they were an outright ban on smoking, alcolhol, fatty foods and heavily processed foods? How much do they lose on the tax revenue?

Maybe money can be saved on Education if people who "didn't care" were denied it in high school. Save the spaces for students that are there to learn? Oh but education is a right. People have the right to make others who want to learn miserable.

The point being, that these will always be problems that will never be solved. Abandoning personal responsibility and going "the government should/will fix it" and then crying about it when the government does not. It' s just a self-fullfilling prophecy, no government is going to ever improve these issues when they are under pressure to cut costs.

Anyone want to name a year when these problems didn't exist?

How is this relevant? Are you saying that in other years, the money was also not spent on these always existing problems? Or that the desire to spend on health care, social programs, etc is not influenced by increased spending in other areas? Are these areas not affected by things such as elections, Olympics, new projects, global events?

Let's see, off the top of my head what projects or policies in the past have been the target of "waste of money" activism or "tax increases," reverse chronological order:

Under the Liberals:
Olympics 2010 (P3P)
HST 2009 (more tax hikes)
Canada Line 2009 (P3P project)
Gateway project (Bridges)
4 Super-C class ferries 2004-2006 (P3P project)
BC Rail sold 2003 *scandal*
Millenium Line 2002-2006 (underserved)
Hospital closures 2002 (More protests)
BC Tuition unfrozen 2002 (protests)
Welfware time limits 2001-2004
Taxes cut 2001 (but brought back in higher PST and gas taxes)

Under the NDP(1991-2001):
Mental Health plan 1998 (and then didn't fund it)
Fast Ferries Fiaso 1998-2000 *scandal ousting Glen Clark*
Evergreen Line 1999 (oh gee, what happened to that?)
School Board amalgamation 1996 (total failure, and the liberals are now proposing this)
School Tuition frozen, more spaces made (and then didn't fund them)
Bingogate 1996 *scandal ousting Harcourt*
Nursing Jobs cut (1993)
Taxes raised 1991
BC Rail subsidies cut 1991

Social Credit (1986-1991):
Sale of Expo 86 lands *scandal*
Fantasy Gardens *scandal*

Social Credit(1975-1986):
Expo 86 1986 (Science World and Canada Place)
Expo Line 1985
BC Place 1983

NDP (1972-1975)
ICBC 1973

Social credit (1952-1972):
VCC 1965
SFU 1965
UVic 1963
BCIT 1960
Columbia River Treaty (BC Hydro dams) 1961
BC Ferries 1961
BC Rail 1961

Sorry for holes in the timeline, I've been checking the dates of certain hot button events using Wikipedia. At no time has homelessness been addressed in the last 60 years, while the governments of the day have mismanaged health care and education or not funded it after initial efforts. In 2002 the Liberals put in Welfare time limits, and if anything this may have increased homelessness. Weren't some hospitals shutdown for mental health patients?

Just my opinion but the very fact that we only have regime change in BC by having a scandal suggests that BC is all for letting the government run the province into the ground until such things happen.
 MWI
Msg: 56 (view)

What if they don't drink booze at all?
Posted: 11/3/2009 3:59:58 AM
I don't drink alcohol at all, but I have no problem with truly social drinkers (i.e., not getting drunk, but having a drink or two at a social gathering or at home or wine with the meal -- that sort of thing). Besides, I'm automatically a 'designated driver', so why would anyone object?

I don't drink either. I frown at people who drink to excess, but don't really care if they are dinner+wine, or hockey+beer type of person. They usually know their limit.

However being the automatic designated driver has it's downsides, that being that all your drinking friends and relatives can guilt you into giving them a ride or they'll drive themselves. That is annoying if they expect you to just sit there in the pub with them and do nothing. Likewise, if you have to drive everyone in the group home, having to get directions from someone who isn't sober can be frustrating.

I am always a little confused by people who do not drink.

1. Having family members or friends die from drinking and driving.
2. Having family members or friends drink excessively who get violent.
3. Religious or spiritual beliefs.
4. Knowing that alcohol is poison.
5. Don't like the taste of things that contain alcohol.
6. Previously consuming mislabeled foods that contain alcohol and getting sick.

For me, mainly 1 5 and 6.
 MWI
Msg: 5 (view)

The Olympic Torch
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:44:57 AM
Here's a thought to you Olympic haters,

Would you object to the Canucks and/or BC Lions leaving town? The Grizzlies already did, and they were owned by the same people who own the Canucks. The BC Lions play at BC Place, which is owned by a crown corperation. So will the Whitecaps.

I really have no interest in sports, but it seems to me that all the special interests groups trying to hijack the Olympics to promote a "waste of money better spent on something else" cause, have had 25 years to do this to BC Place, and nothing has changed.

"BC Place is busy with over 200 event days per year and contributes over $40 million per year in economic benefits to the Province of British Columbia, but it operates at a loss of more than $4 million a year ($10 million in earning and more than $14 million in expenses)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Place_Stadium

In my opinion people are too short sighted about things the government spends money on. Everything has a "create jobs" benefit, and had there been no Olympics, the recession would likely have resulted in more unemployment. Did you hear that they are still having trouble filling positions for it? http://www.theprovince.com/life/2010+Winter+Olympic+jobs+begging/2056441/story.html

Job and Employment rates:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-sujets/labour-travail/lfs-epa/lfs-epa-eng.htm
"Employment increased for the second consecutive month, up 31,000 in September, driven by large full-time gains. The unemployment rate fell by 0.3 percentage points to 8.4%, the first monthly decline since the beginning of the labour market downturn in the fall of 2008."

Anyway, I don't personally care about the Olympics, but I believe that had Vancouver not won it, we'd have had a net loss off construction jobs, and some real estate developers wouldn't have made money, and everything else would have played exactly how it played out now. It's unrealistic to expect the government to "solve" a homeless, health care, or education problem when it is never going to be solved by the government of the day without taking away peoples rights and freedoms. Anyone want to name a year when these problems didn't exist?
 MWI
Msg: 140 (view)

The tolerant and the less-tolerant
Posted: 10/30/2009 9:42:23 AM

So you're looking for someone to prove their opinion with a reference source, but don't all the facts from those references originate from someone's personal experience & opinion?

Personal experience, yes. Opinion depends if it is balanced reporting or controversial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Remembers

Michelle Remembers is presented as fact from someone's personal experience. So people think Victoria BC is a hotbed of ritual sacrifices or something. I have no experience with this topic other than it keeps popping up whenever someone mentions occult and BC.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/imaginarycrimes/michelleremembers.htm

But so is "Terror in the Name of God" by Simma Holt (1964), which labels an entire religious group of people in BC, terrorists. If you read this book without any idea of the injustices done to the Freedomites or Doukhobours, by the government, you would be led to believe that they were terrorists.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/canada/simma-holt-memoirs-fighting-injustice-6836.html

"Between 1964 and 1983 Mrs. Holt wrote four books. For Terror in the Name of God, about the Sons of Freedom Doukhobors, she established herself as an expert on the use of terror to achieve goals, and received the Woman of the Year award in Canadian Arts and Letters."

http://www.doukhobor.org/Adelman.htm
"In portraying the struggle between Doukhobors and the State as one over land
ownership, my purpose is also to redress an ingrained view of the Russian
refugees as "fanatics" or "zealots." This view is especially proffered in a
popular, controversial book by a Vancouver Sun journalist, Simma Holt. Holt
argued that the Doukhobors were the masters of their own fate: their failure
to integrate and their determination to ward off outside influences
alienated them from an otherwise benevolent Canadian society. The author's
case is full of distortions, and it is not helped by the penchant to use
sources without offering citations."

At least with the internet, people can stop and have a discussion on how honest a topic really is. Some people will really dig their heels in, even with plenty of evidence that proves their opinion is baseless. Other people may try to intentionally derail discussions that they do not agree with (possibly so they don't have to defend their position.)
 MWI
Msg: 8 (view)

H1N1 vaccine. Are you getting a shot?
Posted: 10/30/2009 9:02:55 AM
I've never ever had a flu shot. I don't plan on getting one either.

I previously worked for places that had a lot of people who came to work sick anyway, if I was going to get sick I was going to get sick because employers don't tell their sick employees to not come to work. For retail this even worse since sick employees spread it to customers and other people who work in the building.

It's not a matter of if you are going to get sick, but when. I find that flu symptoms are no worse than food allergies for me, and would rather just get sick from the flu if by chance it happens.
 MWI
Msg: 136 (view)

Posted: 10/28/2009 8:39:49 AM

People have the right to express their opinion, but opinions are not facts. Facts can be backed up with references.

So true….might be ideal to define what references are. It appears many here have no idea what you are talking about judging by how thoughts are written.

This is reference to people pulling statistics without stating where they read it and using the phrase "most people are ..." to defend an opinion presented as fact. Ad Populum and appeal to belief.

So like with the "all men are potential rapists" thread, the very phrase is given as fact, when it's nothing more than opinion. It's not even the original quote. It came from a piece of fiction written by Marilyn French.

Quoting something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics would have been better. 77.64 per 100000 (Canada) in a year. Vancouvers metropolitan area population is 2.1 million. So maybe 1630 rape crimes are reported in the entire area in a year. That may seem like a big number, but even if 50% of the population were male, that's closer to 0.15% chance of being involved in a rape crime in a year.

Anyways, just an example. Many conversations tend to break down if they get political and opinions get thrown around as if they were facts.
 MWI
Msg: 87 (view)

Are women with breast augmentation cheating with false advertising?
Posted: 10/28/2009 8:02:22 AM

Are women with breast augmentation cheating with false advertising?

Nah, whatever makes themselves happy. This is up there in the body piercing/modification list of stuff that people do. I'd rather not encourage it, since there are health complications, but what is risk-free nowadays?

I'd probably figure someone who got them only to attract men might be a little shallow, and anyone who strongly prefers breast implants over natural breasts to be shallow too. Whatever you do with your own body is your own business.
 MWI
Msg: 9 (view)

Things That Make You Go Ewww
Posted: 10/27/2009 10:01:28 AM
re: Dryers that eat undies

It is actually possible for the clothes washer (not dryer) to lose small articles of clothing when it drains the water. True story, the clothes washer was clogged because someones undies were stuck down the drain pipe from the washer.

But it's far more likely someone is taking it intentionally/unintentionally. Do people use public laundromats, in-building laundry, or in-unit/house laundry machines? I've seen people take other peoples laundry out of the dryer and then put theirs in, come back and take it back out, and put the previous persons laundry back in the dryer.

And on the topic of ew:
One person I lived with, had several caged pets, but never changed the bedding for long periods of time. How is it that someone can't smell urine/ammonia?
 MWI
Msg: 135 (view)

Posted: 10/27/2009 9:46:39 AM

Do you agree that it is the intolerant that are largely responsible for much of the conflict and misery in our world?

"Let He Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone"
Or pretty much one person doing stuff for someone/something does not mean they believe in the cause they are promoting.

Conflict and misery in the world is brought about because few people question management, government and authority figures. Is it really "right" to let people live in poverty, while others who worked hard live in million dollar houses? Would taking the rich persons wealth and giving it to people in poverty be right in your eyes?

Are you a tolerant or intolerant person?

I consider myself very tolerant of things. Things are best if not violating the spirit of the law.

Do you have difficulty seeing both sides of an issue?

No.

Can you sometimes see yet another route or option other than clearly defined "white" or "black"? Will you accept the "gray" route or option?

I'm usually suggesting the gray option.

If you are generally intolerant, but have at times accepted other opinions or beliefs, what did it take for that to happen?

n/a

Do you have any advice for our less-tolerant forum brethren, advice they might consider before making a post in the forums?

Don't rush in to defend a topic. People have the right to express their opinion, but opinions are not facts. Facts can be backed up with references.
 MWI
Msg: 4 (view)

BC Place Retractable Roof
Posted: 10/24/2009 2:34:50 AM

maybe time to borrow whatever they need and pay beak from user fees

it seems to be the trend for bridges.

seems only fair, why should the public cough up the funds when most don't even use the darn place?

I agree, only problem is that it's not privately owned (owned by PAVCO, crown corporation,) hence the government is responsible for it. Roof collapses = liability to the event and people in the stadium, hurt or not. Their other option is discontinue use of the facility, which costs money to maintain and loss of income from events hosted there. Then the hospitality and tourism industry will complain.

They could simply have replaced the room with the same kind. Boohoo to the sports fans. Why does any Vancouver stadium need a retractable roof when it rains all the time? Maybe the difference between replacing the roof with the same kind and replacing it with the new fan-dangled one should be put into ticket prices.
 MWI
Msg: 12 (view)

Are all men potential rapists?
Posted: 10/22/2009 6:08:52 AM

Are all men potential rapists?

Only if a woman chooses to see herself as a victim to ALL men.

I think that is a better simplification. Someone is not going to go to the pub, take a walk at night or even open their window if their view of others is that they're all going to assault them. People who live alone tend to get some scary paranoid fantasies that are pretty far from reality.

For for ALL men to be labeled as POTENTIAL rapist by someone, seems to invite a self-fulfilling prophecy for that someone. If they believe that to be true, then who would want to even have them as a friend very long?

All humans have the capacity to be violent just as much as they have the capacity to make mistakes. What one person perceives as a rape might not be perceived by the other person as such (who hasn't seen at least one movie where that was a theme?)

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned where are the women rapists? Offhand any articles I've seen about them, tend to be high school teachers. Actually it seems like being a teacher (of either gender) must be a completely horrifying job if the potential for claims of sexual harassment or assault are in such view of the public. Some kiddo doesn't get an A in class, then claims the teacher seduced them after class and puts the teachers name into the media wolves. Terrible.

I'm fairly certain that any mature women would be able to identify a personal contact that seems dangersous, either by the way they act or the way they speak. People who are very aggressive snf given the opportunity and a motive could assault/rape someone. But it holds true for males and females alike. I don't think the average person wakes up in the morning and decides he or she needs to make a strangers life hell. There is always a motive.
 MWI
Msg: 9 (view)

Diwali: Festival of Lights
Posted: 10/19/2009 4:28:34 AM

The neighborhood has been as loud as a battlefield today; about 40 minutes ago one explosion set off car alarms and vibrated my windows (and I'm at the back of the house). It was deafening.

I was wondering what all the explosions were. I was opening my front door and I heard (and saw a explosion reflect off my glasses) and was like "gunfire?"

Later when I actually heard fireworks fly into the air I figured out what it was.
 MWI
Msg: 13 (view)

Polyamory.....moral, cultural, social shift? Interesting :))
Posted: 10/19/2009 4:12:55 AM
The idea doesn't exactly excite me. If it was with the right people and not a "3rd wheel" to someones relationship I could see that. But honestly, I don't think there are very many people who are open to the idea of a polymory relationship. It would more likely come about naturally if several people are always living together and enjoying life together.

I've known people on the internet who are into it, and the relationships don't exactly read "everyone is having sex together" but more like "just these X number of people are with each other." A traditional marriage is the unity of two people exclusive to each other. So it kinda reads like common law marriage with several people. This might appeal to groups of people who can't commit to a monogamous relationship.

However I don't think asking ones spouse to "want to have a threesome forever?" is going to fly for the average person.
 MWI
Msg: 7 (view)

Do we have a problem with hygiene?
Posted: 10/18/2009 7:57:18 AM

And for cripesake people, don't flush the potty, touch faucets or doorknobs with the hand you used to wipe your azz!!!

Wait, people do that?

What about people who don't take off their shoes at the door? And people who have pets? Even though the bathroom may be a potentially bad place, just think about the stuff you step on outside... and then track all over your place if you don't take the shoes off.
 MWI
Msg: 16 (view)

Thinking of moving to Vancouver...what should I know to prepare myself??
Posted: 10/16/2009 4:47:49 AM
All I really have to add about this is:
- Assume all postings on craigslist and other websites are inaccurate
(Every 2 bedroom I looked at was a 1 bedroom + den, every 3 bedroom was a 2 bedroom + den)

For a place to legally call a room a bedroom it must have both a window and a closet. Dens may have neither. If there is no window, it is illegal to sleep in it. Keep this in mind, as many places advertise dens as bedrooms when they are not.

- Don't rent a condo unless it's with the building management. If it's a private owner, they are likely to sell it on you.

- Don't bring pets. You will simply not find a place that allows pets that isn't also 30 years old.

- Don't smoke.

If you have pets or smoke, it will take you a really long time to find a place. You'll likely need to rent a house and for that you'd need to move out to Port Coquitlam or farther away from the "Vancouver" city, which makes transit difficult.

Ease of mass transit:
#1-Port Moody/Anmore/Belcarra 6,500 +< 7,000 pts.
No rapid transit. 25 minutes or more monday to friday by west coast express.

#2- White Rock 6,000 +< 6,500 pts.
You'd be better off driving.

#3- West Vancouver 5,500 +< 6,000 pts.
If you live along the UBC bus routes you should be fine. Canada Line.

#4- Port Coquitlam 5,000 +<5,500 pts.
No rapid transit. 35 minutes or more monday to friday by west coast express.

#5- Richmond 5,000 +< 5,500 pts.
Canada Line service Richmond. When Hong Kong was handed over to mainland China, they fled here.

#6- Coquitlam 5,000 +< 5,500
No rapid transit. 30 minutes or more monday to friday by west coast express.

#7- Surrey 5,000+< 5,550 pts.
Limited Rapid Transit, At the very south-east end of the Expo line. 39 minute maximum trip time. Surrey is unfortunately where all the violence is reported. It's also the cheapest area to live near transit.

#8- Langley 4,500 +< 5,000 pts.
No rapid transit, period. South of Surrey, east of Richmond. You need a car if you live here.

#9- North Vancouver 4,500 +< 5,000
Seabus 15-30 minutes. North Van is considered the "most expensive" area to live outside of downtown Vancouver itself.

#10- New Westminster 4,500 +< 5,000
29 minute maximum Skytrain ride. This is considered the cheapest area (or so I hear) without going into Surrey.

#11- Vancouver City 4,500 +< 5,000
Vancouver proper, depending if it's downtown or closer to Burnaby. It gets cheaper the closer you get to Burnaby, if you're on the Expo line. 1200$/mo or more to rent current legal 2 bedroom vacancies.

#12- Burnaby 4,500 +< 5,000
17+ minute skytrain ride. Burnaby is very expensive to rent if you are in the north area with the new developments. We're talking about 1500/mo for a 1 bedroom type of area.

When in doubt, use
http://www.housingmaps.com/?c=vancouver&t=apa&p=1250_1750

This will map craigslist postings against their location in vancouver. Yes there are some places for rent for 10,000$/mo.
 MWI
Msg: 32 (view)

A lot of guys seem to lie about their age
Posted: 10/14/2009 1:06:59 AM
I saw this thread and I'm like "Wait, people lie about their age? OMG?"

No really, up to about age 25 I kept being asked how old I was and when I give my age they are shocked to hear that I'm older than I look. Short hair = looks older.
 MWI
Msg: 24 (view)

The Yellow Pages Must Be Stopped!
Posted: 10/11/2009 4:14:50 PM
In my opinion, the yellow pages are useless. Even to people without computers.

Here is why:
- Only updated once every year (or 2 years)
- This "recession" caused a bunch of businesses to close or move
- For the amount of paper wasted, I'd rather get the fliers to the local businesses once a week reminding me that they exist. At home I get fliers to all the pizza places, and a coupon book to all the local businesses once every month. Downtown I get safeway, sears, rogers, several shoe stores, canadian tire, no frills.
- Many places put their phone number on the outside of their business place
- Believe it or not, but you can dial 411 on your phone (and mobile phone) and ask for the phone number of a business. It costs money on your mobile phone. I believe someone mentioned 1-800-goog411, this would be free on a landline and mobile minutes on your phone.

For people with computers Google maps, and streetview are much more useful for finding a place. Smartphones offer the pc experience on your phone. So the usefulness of printed directories is for people who haven't gone mobile-phone only (white pages, costs money to opt-out of being in them)

Oh, by the way, if you don't opt out of being in the white pages. For some reason in Vancouver this results in no less than 4 telemarketing calls per day.
 MWI
Msg: 18 (view)

Dating websites
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:51:42 AM

Staying away? It's called developing an addiction to World of Warcraft and videogames.

Nothing wrong with that, just remember to take a break once in a while. I'll surft PoF for a while when I'm waiting for people in a MMO. (I don't play WoW.)

Ever try and find locals in WoW that might want hang out IRL and start social networking from there?

I don't think I'm particular. Smoking is killing my mother, so I have a personal issue with it. I have a personal issue with somebody doing illicit drugs. I don't want a woman that has a kid (I'm 23). I do physical activities every week and keep fit, it's not unreasonable, to me, to expect a gal that's at least average. A girl that won't lie to me off the bat and be so stupidly obvious about it.

Alcohol, smoking and drugs tend to be lifestyle choices (or vices) that one usually doesn't want to give up, so it's easier to exclude it to begin with. I think you may have made your search results too picky in some other way. I found that selecting non-smoking removes 1/3rd of the results, but non-drinking removes 83% of the results.

Weight is something that can be lost or gained over time, but really has no bearing on their personality.
 MWI
Msg: 35 (view)

psychic experiences
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:04:08 AM
In all honesty, I don't really believe that someone can predict "the future" only "a possible future". To do otherwise is to throw away free will. If you could predict a one-and-only future, then that means it's written in stone, and nothing you do will change it.

If you were given knowledge of the future, you would act toward fulfilling it (or in the case of a future you don't want, against it?) What if attempting to fullfill it instead derails it?

Which reminds me, did anyone see the movie "Paycheck" (or read the book?) It was filmed in Vancouver (yay for relevance.) Anyway the movie does a sci-fi take on predicting the future and how it takes away free will.

Anyway, I find that it's hard to read people without seeing or hearing them. I've found that some people are initially very nice, but turn extremely hostile because that's their coping method for not getting instant gratification. I can accurately predict what will happen then, if they show their cards once.

Que Sera, Sera, if there is no free will, then I don't want to know the future.
 MWI

The google street viewer, what's your opinion?
Posted: 10/9/2009 12:17:43 AM

I think its pretty cool. They blur out license plates and ppls faces.

Thats not the only thing that gets blured out. Apparently reflective surfaces like hubcaps and windows can be blurred too.

Anyway I have the date pegged at somewhere between april and june, as like the above posters, landscaping has changed since the photos were taken.

I checked my entire grocery shopping walk to see if I happened to end up in it.
 MWI
Msg: 11 (view)

Dating websites
Posted: 10/7/2009 3:34:54 PM

because I didn't think there was anyone else out there for me.

Let me rephrase that so I don't look like a jerk. :)

The person I loved was hundreds of miles away, and we met like once a year. I didn't date anyone else during the entire time. Then one day I was sent an email saying that this can't continue and that I should look for someone who wants to live in the city. All that time, there were people that had shown some interest in me, but I didn't return the feelings.

And now that I don't work for those places anymore those opportunities are long past.
 MWI

Dating websites
Posted: 10/7/2009 3:29:38 PM
I've been reluctant to use a pay site because the only benefit a pay site offers is blocking spam. I'm not an idiot, I can identify a spam and scam. I haven't seen very much of that on PoF anyway. (For reference, I'm referring to fake profiles with a URL to go somewhere else, usually another pay site, or a blog full of ads and links.)

I've been participating on the forums for now to get get some level of comfort with using PoF before messaging people.

That might be useful, but I don't see it happening, is having different kinds of "my matches" on PoF. Matching by physical appearances and matching by personality, of which I find the former is really shallow, and the latter I really can't figure out.

I made a mistake the first week I was using this and thought the favorites was too bookmark a profile, I didn't realize it sends the other person a message. Whoops.

The only other "site" off hand that has personal ads for free is c****list, but that is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I found two jobs and one place to live from that site, and both companies left the country, and the landlord sold the place after a year. So I kinda don't want to use it for dating since that leaves the expectation that anyone met on it won't last a year and will leave the country :p

The greater the opportunities of choices the less likely they will ever find the right one simply because the next choice has something different or better...

I don't believe in treating people like merchandise. If you're dating someone and things aren't going very well, and someone better comes along, that is a personal decision. I held on to the last relationship I had, even though I felt it was doomed, for years, because I didn't think there was anyone else out there for me.
 MWI
Msg: 60 (view)

HST!
Posted: 10/7/2009 12:16:21 AM
In my opinion, the only good thing that will come out of HST is that there will only be one tax to calculate, which may in turn eventually lead us to "pay the advertised price" like what Australia has. (In Australia prices must be advertised inclusive of VAT.) Then it will be much easier to see who is adding on hidden fees and comparing services will be much easier.

I've seen a few "NO HST" signs in some restaurant windows, but other than that I don't really see any outrage. The NDP hopping on the bandwagon is to be expected, but I don't really expect them to undo it any more than I expect Gordo to.
 MWI
Msg: 14 (view)

To pay or not to pay?? Or to have sex on first meeting??
Posted: 10/6/2009 11:48:42 PM

it doesn't really matter how much money it is.. ..or who puts it in..

Hey!!! It certainly does matter to me who puts it in.

Problem is we will be arguing over who pays for the condoms......

I can see where mo-mo is coming from 'cause some guys can be pretty cheap & refuse to throw away outdated condoms. I used to know a guy who rinsed out his condoms then rolled them back up for the next session.

EW and WTF.

Those who keep saying the person who asks the other person out should pay for the date ... can you figure out from the conversation in my post #25 who did the inviting

Copied below

He: Be nice to meet you one of these days.
She: Cool, so when did you want to meet up? I have this day & this day free this week.
He: I'm free on this day so we can meet up then if you like. Did you have a specific place you'd like to meet?
She: Yeah, my place, my bed, 8 pm. (This is what he was hoping to hear. )

It sounds to me like the guy was asking if a date is in the future, and you responded with yes it's possible, pick a day.

because to me it was pretty mutual, which is typical of my date arrangements, minus the meeting in the bedroom part of course.

Hmm, I'd say because you asked "what time and day and place", you might have been the one setting up the date. In my opinion whoever picked the place (to eat at) is likely the person who would be paying for it since they would only pick a place they can afford.

According to Dear Abby or Dear somebody's article about proper etiquette, paying for dates should be split according to the income levels of the two parties involved.

I think I read that before too, but it omitted the "income levels" part. I can see where the person who drives a Porsche dating someone who takes transit would make a clear income level distinction. However wiki for "Going Dutch". It's culture centric. In my opinion, nothing rude about insisting on paying, but it is rude to assume the other party will pay (particularly if they leave before the bill comes.)
 MWI

Can someone please help me?
Posted: 10/6/2009 12:25:56 AM

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Almost certainly has something to do with something installed. May or may not have anything to do with POF. Personally I use firefox.

Flash (which many ads use) tend to cause this frequently. I'd probably try updating that first: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If the problem continues, check for spyware, there are many tools, but often it's too late once the system is infected.

If you are using an old version of internet explorer, it maybe better to simply update it.
 MWI
Msg: 40 (view)

Is a guy that cooks *so* rare?
Posted: 10/5/2009 11:33:53 PM
I can cook. I place emphasis on the word "Can"

I took cooking classes in school and introduced my mom to some food types that we never had before. This is one of the reasons I say "open minded", I'll try food even if it's likely to make me sick. If I didn't adventure I'd never tried tacos or sushi. If it has a recipe and isn't a delicate or dangerous food, I can cook it.

On the flip side, other peoples cooking can vary quite a bit. If someone really can not cook when given a recipe , that means they can not follow instructions and that may suggest they are not a do-it-yourself type person at all. Better not buy anything from Ikea.
 MWI
Msg: 48 (view)

Posted: 10/5/2009 11:04:34 PM
It never dawned on me how white Victoria was until I moved to Vancouver. Maybe it was because I grew up somewhere that was far more white.

And that Victoria rumor is because of the book "Michelle Remembers" , google it if you want to know more.
 MWI

To pay or not to pay?? Or to have sex on first meeting??
Posted: 10/5/2009 2:18:29 AM

Im sure someone has started a thread like this at one time or another....If a person invites you for a coffee or some bevy's dont you think they should pay the bill?

Call me naive, but the person who does the inviting should pay unless arranged otherwise.

....I met someone here on Pof a couple of weeks ago at a pub and my drinks only came to $9.00....When the tab came I threw down 20 bucks on the table and HE TOOK IT!!!

Wait, did he take it and still leave you to pay the bill, or did he take it and pay the combined bill?

Then he walks me to my truck and invites me back to his place for sex!!! I was so turned off by this point said NO got in my truck and went home....He messaged me the next day wanting to get together again and I said politely and to the point No because #1 you were to cheap to pay my tab and plus my intentions of meeting him was not for sex.....Gawd whats wrong with people????

Were your intentions clear before arranging the date or on the date? Did he see the " Must not be looking for Intimate Encounter" part of your profile? Do guys regularly ignore that?
 MWI
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 10/4/2009 8:27:23 PM

Any chance you've been viewing profiles of "extreme athletes" ?

There's your answer

Of course, because that is what POF was showing me :) The first time I saw the "Your matches" most of them were like "I like to goto the gym, do the grouse grind, Yoga and I'm looking for an activity partner who can keep up with me, etc"

I would like to try new things, but I don't really see myself being able to keep up with them.

MWI is my new hero, although i think he should change his do like section to do want.

Aw thanks. It's not "Do Want" because that is pretty much a bunch of AND/OR. The profile was so much longer but I felt that maybe I was just saying too much.

On the other hand, there isn't a whole lot of deal breakers, I may seem not picky, but I find it's actually ones personality that I'm more likely to not like than what they look like. The only thing a profile says about ones personality is how honest they are.
 MWI
Msg: 2 (view)

What's an awesome computer to get?
Posted: 10/4/2009 1:48:49 AM

I have no idea what is considered great or even decent.

The problem with buying a computer (as opposed to building it) is that you get a prepackaged deal that was assembled probably weeks if not months ago.

Ask the following questions to figure out what you really need:
a) How much do you want to spend? How much can you afford?
b) Do you want to play games? World of Warcraft?
c) Do you want something portable?

If your first answer is "less than 500$" for either parts of a, then you may want to consider what is on sale or clearance at Best Buy or similar electronics sellers. For the most part HP/Compaq is what is sold by every store, and they are the cheapest, though typically not the highest quality.

If you play mid to high end games on the PC, or are using it for 3D modeling, then the sub-500$ PC won't cut it and you'll need to spend around 1000$ to get something with substantially more CPU and GPU power. (500$ systems tend to have Intel "onboard" graphics, usually called GMA-something)

If you want a laptop, then you really need to consider if it's for work or play. If it's for work, you can get higher resolution screens at much more expense. If it's for play and replacing a desktop, you can get decent models for under 1200$. If you are just wanting a "surf the net and use office" laptop you can get the 400$ netbook and that will be just fine. The netbook is also cheaper than the cheapest desktop since monitor's are extra costs.

In terms of build quality (and price mostly) The PC/Laptop brands go like this, with most expensive up top to least expensive at the bottom.
Apple
IBM
Sony
Toshiba
Dell
HP/Compaq
Acer
Gateway/eMachines
LG

Of which you may be paying more than 50% more for an Apple of the same specifications as the Dell.

If you buy a laptop and take it everywhere with you, buy the extended warranty/no-fault insurance for it. It may add up to 50% of the price to it, however laptops frequently have their hard drives or cooling parts replaced within 3 years, and all laptops only come with 1 year warranties.
 MWI
Msg: 20 (view)

Discussion Topic: Mining in BC October 1/09
Posted: 10/4/2009 1:18:04 AM

Which mining operation would potentially have the most negative impact on the environment or the people? And perhaps, which would have the most positive?

It really depends on what is being mined. Mining Uranium leaves the area uninhabitable, and on April 24, 2008, British Columbia imposed a ban on uranium exploration.

In some cases, the smelting operation has more of a negative impact. The Cominco plant in Trail BC for example decades ago dumped everything into the environment (Columbia River mainly, Teck Cominco is still being sued for it.) It's a Lead smelter. What do we know about Lead now? Do you own google search for that.

Greenwood BC has a "wall" around it made of slag. Did anyone think of what the rain runoff would do to the wells?

Kitimat has a Aluminum smelter, what's happening up there is that when it's less economical to modernize the plant, they just put the employees out of work and sell the electricity. Positive effect on the environment? Negative effect on the surrounding people.

And that is all the offhand knowledge I have about mining in BC.
 MWI
Msg: 39 (view)

Posted: 10/4/2009 12:57:10 AM

Cripes I read these profiles and think, OH NO, most of the men spend all their time at the gym! Why would anyone like that be interested in me? And for those that don't post their pics, you run the risk of being thought evasive, as though you have something to hide

Haha, yeah.

The matching algorithm for POF seems to keep matching "extreme athlete" women for me and I'm like "How?", Nothing wrong with that either. I just don't see how I'd be a match for them.
 MWI
Msg: 37 (view)

Posted: 10/3/2009 7:25:36 PM

^^^ You mean all I have to do is put a picture up???? But I think my snout is too big and my tail is too small...

Ah but such is the case why people use the online sites and not the ads in the newspaper. It's so much easier for one to dismiss someone based on appearances with a social networking/dating/community site. A pictures worth a thousand words.

Someone looking for a friend may have less interest in a photo. Virtually every forum I've ever visited has a "real photo" thread somewhere of what the members actually look like. In some cases it strokes their ego's, and in other cases it dismisses people as potential dating material, even if the site was never a dating site to begin with.

Show ALL Forums