Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Ever think someone is out of your league and not messaged them?
 lonleyrob
Msg: 82 (view)

Ever think someone is out of your league and not messaged them?
Posted: 7/26/2012 5:28:04 AM
It seems to be quite common on here that people think someone is in a different league and from alot of the comments on here I would say it does hold alot of us back......

The key for me is that often, initial opinions can be based on the visual wow factor....I appreciate that people are attracted by looks but it is the person that you fall for and will have the cosy chat with.

The advice I was given years ago was that looks can change, it is the person that remains. To this end, I try to always feel the fear and say hello at least that way I wouldn't spend time wondering what if.....
 lonleyrob
Msg: 39 (view)

Wanting Christian Grey.....
Posted: 7/25/2012 2:27:31 PM
At Post 50.

A friend of mine who is an author herself has read the books and summarized them by saying that she will never get the time back. Her recommendation was to get hold of some of the Mills and Boon and read them instead!!!

Then again, she say that "sex sells" and if it works then ride the wave and make as much as you can at the time.....
 lonleyrob
Msg: 6 (view)

Working from Home
Posted: 7/25/2012 1:55:57 PM
I work from home and have done for quite a few years and after some initial teething problems love it and would promote it actively.

The main problem I have it the temptation to "just do this" before you finish as I find I work longer hours without realising, its the self discipline that you need to develop I found.
 lonleyrob

WORDS
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:11:55 AM
Gigging at some of the words here....I must be greedy, I could never say the following.

Soldier - Sodjer
Hospital - Ockurs
Clever - Cleaver

Also used to struggle with my letters "R" and "W" so that gave me endless options for confusion.

Not sure what that says about me though!
 lonleyrob
Msg: 3 (view)

how to overcome fear of rejection
Posted: 12/2/2011 5:15:52 PM
As everyone says, you have to meet her. If you keep finding reasons, she may walk away thinking you're unreliable.

Also if you don't meet her now, when will you as it will be a habit you could get into.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 13 (view)

First love
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:31:12 AM
@ ibakecakes Msg 9

Ha ha. Never understood the rules to that version of the game, always thought it was a bit unfair.

Think I was about 8 and my first love was in my primary school class......probably because she was fast and we'd always win the relay on sports day though!!
 lonleyrob
Msg: 16 (view)

Shops or online shopping.
Posted: 12/1/2011 4:45:40 AM
@bubbles 63 - Msg 10

Always confused by this but what do people browse at when in a supermarket for the 15mins.....labels on tins of beans or the colour of bread wrappers?

I tend to shop on-line and as such present buying this year was a breeze, no crowds or stress it was absolute bliss.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 30 (view)

Swearing
Posted: 12/1/2011 4:40:36 AM
May open a can of worms here but not sure that I see the need for swearing during "normal everyday" life. I know that will be a different interpretation for different people but I only tend to find myself cursing at extreme points, hitting thumb with hammer, smashing big toe on bed etc.....

I always come out with a comment that makes me sound like Ned Flanders off the Simpsons.....At least it makes my lad laugh!!
 lonleyrob

why can the pub industry rip off drivers?
Posted: 11/30/2011 3:54:32 PM
Often a driver myself on nights out and as such can vouch for the price difference. Not sure as to the reason for the price difference but find that I tend to spend less cash when I go out and drive for some reason.......

I'm probably just a cheapskate though
 lonleyrob
Msg: 23 (view)

swinton christmas meet 2011
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:52:37 PM
Hmmmm its my first pof meet-up and there is fancy dress......now I'm nervous

Do I want to make a big impression or be cowering near the corner, decisions decisions.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 18 (view)

Arrested for racially aggravated public order offence?
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:47:17 PM
Ouch......

Firstly, was she actually sober when in charge of a minor.

As for her comments, they are her opinion and that is not an offence in itself. Agree that she was lucky not to get a slap though. Get ready for the fallout is all I can say as this is going to run and run...

I think she is an idiot though to be honest!
 lonleyrob
Msg: 45 (view)

Sex texts before you meet
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:41:59 PM
Lusipher.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head in the last paragraph of your post where you talk about "lady guff". The key is that people are all looking for different things, be it sex / relationships / companionship and to reach that aim will all prefer a different type of partner which brings with it alternating personalities and characteristics.

Personally, I would say that I'm the chivalrous type as its just how I am and prefer to be, I wouldn't say it was overrated as there are many elements to from holding doors to conversation and how you carry yourself.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 42 (view)

British Men
Posted: 11/28/2011 2:58:54 PM
In Orlando a few years ago talking to some of the locals over there. I was told frequently by both men and women that an English accent was what they loved rather than the person.

Given my Mancunian drawl it did make me think somewhat about what we were being compared to
 lonleyrob
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 11/28/2011 2:51:17 PM
From what I'm reading there seems to be a couple of diferent schools on the subject, some people will ask and some won't. It does seem to be the ladies who want to be treated curteously and the guys that want to push the issue though!!!

Neither are right or wrong but they will help people find out if the person is the correct partner for them. If it is said and you are not happy then you say bye bye. If you are happy to go ahead then Its just down to the individual on the recieving end.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 32 (view)

Posted: 11/28/2011 11:32:03 AM
Ha ha FTM

As with most things nowadays, it is the majority of "bad" cases that get highlighted, I am sure there are other gentlemen around who value not only themselves but the other person.

Suppose its horses for courses but I suppose if you come out with it (sorry - couldn't think of a better phrase ) it will let you decide early on it they are the right partner material.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 52 (view)

Attitude to dating in uk
Posted: 11/28/2011 11:27:55 AM
As Mikewm says todays society seems to be totally focussed around the fear of failiure and to that extent some people will do anything to achieve their goals. Regardless of the outcome as long as they save face in the eyes of their peer group.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 11/28/2011 11:22:29 AM
Maybe its me but if you message someone and end up chatting on-line, then on the phone (if going well) why would you ruin it by pushing it too far or am I just old fashioned!!!

I remember it being called chivalry.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 11/27/2011 5:19:29 PM
Well Done chelly55.

On some people I agree that could be the right way forward but I suppose a lot could depend on the person on the recieving end of the reply, its possible they could take it in the wrong way and it could make the situation worse.

Suppose its a case of going by your gut feeling and if needed getting the block on so to speak!!
 lonleyrob
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 11/27/2011 4:40:02 PM
As mentioned earlier in one of the posts, if you haven't met someone and the comments all turn to sex I would say they are after one thing!!!

Obviously there may be comments with some "risque" but if it crosses the line you need to ask yourself if they are right for you in the long run.
 lonleyrob
Msg: 21 (view)

swinton christmas meet 2011
Posted: 11/26/2011 5:54:59 PM
Hi All,
First timer here and will be on my own (Billy No Mates you see!) so I assume I'll be the one cowering in the corner at my first POF bash

Show ALL Forums