Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Christmas Brunch, Calgary, December 18, 2011
 Taurid
Msg: 10 (view)

Christmas Brunch, Calgary, December 18, 2011
Posted: 12/17/2011 11:31:16 AM
It's been a while since I signed on here. Ever since POF killed discussions of informal get-togethers and wiped 80 pages of brunch history, there's been no point to signing in. I still checked the lists from time to time - I've missed a couple of Kanes from not knowing there was going to be one. I ran into the last-of-season bike meet by coincidence (while my bike was in the shop) just cuz Kanes became one of my weekly routines. But if I manage to drag a friend out for Sunday morning, that friend usually chooses somewhere a bit cheaper. Anyhow, I had to have POF send me my password -- somewhere along the way I'd changed it from what it was in 2006.

I'll be there. Not sure about what clothing yet. Management would have problems with my normal nightwear, and I don't even own fuzzy slippers.
 taurid
Msg: 33 (view)

Water as fuel?
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:18:55 AM
The thread is half a decade old. Whatever used to be at the page hosting the article is long gone, and some URL homesteader has parked the phishing page you've seen.

There are several things it might have been about:

1) Some kind of fuel cell that's supposed to make fuel at home and burn it on the road. Very expensive and H2 is very hard to store.

2) Some kind of magic car add-on that breaks down water to "Brown's Gas" on the fly then re-burns it. But conservation of energy and the entropy laws mean that you have to spend the same energy (and lose some extra along the way) to make the gas that you could bet from burning it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen#Fringe_science_and_fraud

3) Some kind of water-based octane enhancer or diesel expansion booster etc. I've seen these described on TV shows, generally by a dismissive or sarcastic host. I don't know much about them in general, but all the power still is coming from the main fuel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_induction#Water_injection
 taurid
Msg: 3 (view)

Has anyone heard of Pandora Radio?
Posted: 12/12/2010 8:54:04 AM
I set up an account using a friend's Bellingham address about six years ago or more. (She hasn't lived there in that long.) I occasionally get email reminders that they still exist, after a rather panicky political battle over license fees between them and their music source not long after i joined.

I tend to listen more to information (or opinion) radio rather than music, most of the time.
 taurid
Msg: 4 (view)

Success rate in POF men vs women
Posted: 9/4/2010 9:36:58 PM
I was an active member for two years or so, and a marginal member now for two more. In those two active years, I met three women who were not "a match" but who each immediately became close personal friends. One of those was a "match" from her side, but not from mine. I met two more who I thought were a match, but it was not reciprocated. A number of other contacts, dates, dances at get-togethers etc never jelled into either friendship nor crushes or more.

In the end, I got back together with an old girlfriend from the early nineties and took myself out of the eligible pool. I still hang out for get-togethers with those acquaintances in non-romantic contexts.

So, my vote: Male, unsuccessful. Met three wonderful friends, and a number of great acquaintances.

Among my circle of friends, one guy has turned from a romantic in 2007 into an exploitative player plus cash whirlpool in 2009 and on. (Ain't alcohol and drugs fun?) My female PoF friends have had various levels of success. One has just entered into her third relationship, presumably from here. The previous two lasted a year each. Another eventually escaped from a two-year disaster from here, and spent several months earlier this year mooning over a long distance relationship with a guy from either London, Kuwait or Nigeria. It fell apart more with amusement ranter than heartbreak, much to my surprise.
 taurid
Msg: 131 (view)

When does age make a difference?
Posted: 8/21/2010 5:52:49 PM

When you have to explain who the Beatles are...

I married someone 12 years younger than me. In one conversation:

Q: Who were your favourite band when you were growing up?
A: Guess Who, out of Winnipeg.
Q: I thought that they were a British band?

Despite occasional whooshes like that, she was one of the three smartest people I ever met. Just that the band broke up when she was six, and had their best days about when she was being born. She had been thinking of their biggest hit as something Lenny Kravitz wrote for that Austin Powers movie.

When she was being treated for cancer that first time, I used to joke about picking up my girlfriend "from daycare", which is what my local hospital called outpatient services.

Anyhow, once you get past 25 or so, age differences aren't that big. There are occasional generational cultural shifts, but you can get past those.

A four-year-old proposed to me once. When she was 8, she asked for help calculating how old I would be when she got to eighteen. Her crush lasted a very long time. She made two or three serious passes at me when she was between 18 and 23, but I let "the ball" whoosh past me. She rather abruptly stopped talking to me when my wife died. At that point I was 47 and this person was 23.
 taurid
Msg: 7 (view)

Best breakfast for the buck in Cowtown
Posted: 8/21/2010 5:38:45 PM
The Legion brunch morphed into the Kanes brunch. My memory of the price was $10, maybe bumped to $11 at the very end of that period. The other problem (besides size of the crowd) was our unpredictability. Half of the our "confirmed" people would never show, and lots of last minute "I guess I'll go after all" types would show up. So the group would be somewhere between 8 and 30 with no clear idea of which end was more likely.
 Taurid
Msg: 17 (view)

Seriously? I really gotta vote again?
Posted: 12/1/2008 11:04:09 PM
"If a party can only depend on govt subsidies, how in the hell can they look after a nation which is suffering economically?"

Who do you want payrolling your government? Big donors or the taxpayers?

Public financing of parties was an attempt to make parties LESS bought by powerful cliques. But you'd rather have the parties owned by their donors.
 taurid
Msg: 13 (view)

Do you ever talk to your exes?
Posted: 11/29/2008 10:42:38 AM
"How do you feel when people tell you how great your ex is treating their new companion?"

"Congratulations"

Why would you want someone to be unhappy or mean? Things break up for various reasons. Living in Toronto almost broke up my marriage for reasons I never figured out. Moving back west meant that she was no longer a b**** to live with. If we HAD broken up in TO, then was nice to someone else after moving back, there would be regrets, but the turn of "style" would be something to celebrate, even if someone else gets the benefit. Every responsible citizen wants people to have a better life. If she fits better with someone else, then celebrate that.

Just cuz you're exes, is no reason to wish meanness upon anyone.
 taurid
Msg: 12 (view)

Do you ever talk to your exes?
Posted: 11/29/2008 10:36:55 AM
Check my profile. An ex from 1993 is moving in at Christmas.

Her and my late wife were the only "real" girlfriend I've ever had.

But my various lovers over the years? 1986 -- We stayed close friends till 1990. 1988 -- we stayed close friends for more than a year after and I still talked to her occasionally till 93. 1982 -- we were together again in the early nineties, and were close friends till 2003.

You gotta be friends first. And why break off the friendship afterwards?
 taurid
Msg: 3 (view)

Seriously? I really gotta vote again?
Posted: 11/29/2008 10:31:23 AM
"Our elections would mean NOTHING if this coalition is formed."
And Ontario's vote means nothing if you say it can't. The members of parliament who would form the coalition were ALL elected. And there are more of them than there are Conservatives. Why do only the Conservative MPs count as "meaning something"?

More people voted against the Conservatives than for them. But you're saying that means nothing.
 taurid
Msg: 6 (view)

Men saving themselfs for marriage
Posted: 11/29/2008 10:27:46 AM
I was saving myself. But then in my middle-to-late twenties, I found that my virginity was turning off potential candidates. Two of them flat-out didn't believe it, and my "lying" killed any possibilities developing. I suspect that a third turned me down because she didn't think that a "low" (ie controllable) sex drive would match her sky-high one.

In my ethical structure of the time, I was saving myself for "engagement". That still offered six months to a year of test driving.

I ended up rewriting my rules book, and eventually found a successful ten year marriage.
 taurid
Msg: 29 (view)

THEFT
Posted: 11/27/2008 10:06:53 AM
There are algorithms to reduce a picture to a hash code, even after minor edits like adding text or adjusting contrast. Perhaps it would be possible for PoF to cross-reference these codes.

"This picture is currently also used on Jonesie-214 and biker_rule". It would make the "original" user look bad, too, but at least they'd know.
 taurid
Msg: 2 (view)

Heritage And Ancestry
Posted: 11/27/2008 9:51:16 AM
It's a personal choice. My four grandparents come from wildly different background. Which one is my "official" ethnicity? Most of the family branches have been in Canada since the early 1800s.

Dad's side: Farmer dudes from "northern" Ontario. His mother's surname is on road signs and such all over rural Ontario. His father's family is mentioned on the town website for the small town near the farm.

Mom's side is Scottish and German, again filtered through a century or two in North America -- her father in Toronto, her mother in US, descended from Toronto ancestors. How far back to we go before the Scottish or German doesn't matter?

I resemble my maternal grandfather strongly. So I give "Scottish" as my ethnicity. But I've got twice as many genes from rural England. I never cared much about my ethnicity till about age thirty. You have to answer something when asked an ethnicity, and the Scottish engineer type is too strong an archetype to pass up. My late wife suggested that I might want to get married in a MacKenzie kilt, but you have to have a certain kind of chutzpa to wear a skirt to a formal event.

My late wife was descended from British and Irish grandparents. Two of those grandparents emigrated to Canada the morning after the wedding because of religious bigotries in both families. Should that culture be celebrated? She was more fascinated with (apparently unrelated) people with her last name who had been in America for a long time -- a civil rights activist in the nineteenth century and a founding family of Toronto.

My new girlfriend? I've known her for almost twenty years, and we've never discussed her ethnicity. Her unusual name doesn't match any of my stereotypes, and neither does her distinctive face shape. Shrug.
 Taurid
Msg: 17 (view)

Virginity for sale?
Posted: 11/23/2008 9:12:14 AM
"All those dents?"

I'm visualizing a pretty tough hymen here. I'm not sure I'm still "up" to the challenge.
 Taurid
Msg: 35 (view)

Help with watching the movie Schindler's List
Posted: 11/16/2008 11:53:56 PM
Schindler's factories still exist. You often see this brand on elevators and escalators. The escalators at the college I go to are Schindler brand.

At the start of the movie, the German army guys in Poland recognize Schindler and invite him to their table as some sort of hero. The movie doesn't say why Schindler was so popular with the German army guys at that time. It was explained to me by a Polish friend I had at the time that Schindler's List came out. Schindler is believed by Poles to have been the orgainzer of the fake raid from Poland into Germany that served as an excuse for the invasion. So, at the start of these events, Schindler was clearly on the side of the bad guys.

The "list" of the title takes place well into the movie. If I recall it correctly, his factory was being closed down, and the "slave" workers are to be transferred either to his new factory or to the death camps. He is asked to provide a list of the workers that he considers essential to the war effort in his factory. This list is literally a life or death decision for the people on the list.
 Taurid
Msg: 8 (view)

Virginity for sale?
Posted: 11/16/2008 11:41:01 PM
I was a virgin till I was 28. I rewrote my ethical code when I discovered that my prospects were being freaked out by my lack of experience. If I can rewrite my code at 28, then she can at 21.

Yes, she's a prostitute, but not a "career" one. I don't have any strong opinions on it. It's not a choice I would advise, but I have not been chosen as her advisor. I've known women who stayed with an abuser because they "couldn't afford" to leave. In my mind, those women were making worse decisions than this person is.

A million bucks isn't really a secure retirement, but it's more than halfway there. For a single day's "work".
 taurid
Msg: 53 (view)

Your First True Love
Posted: 11/11/2008 1:32:16 PM
I'm still a believer. But you can come at love from different directions.

After decades of getting nowhere "in love", I settled for a close friend I could respect. Love grew in time.
 taurid
Msg: 9 (view)

Gas prices in calgary
Posted: 11/11/2008 1:29:56 PM
The co-op in foothills Industrial had 84.9 posted yesterday. And they claim you get 10 cents back in that store coupon and year-end dividends.
 taurid
Msg: 26 (view)

Moving long distance for a guy???
Posted: 11/11/2008 1:28:04 PM
I've got a long-distance relationship. She's planning to move here in March -- scared of a Calgary winter without a settling-in period first. But I've known her since the eighties.
 taurid

Wasn't that a Snowfall!!
Posted: 11/10/2008 2:16:05 PM
We got less than an inch where I live. But the kids managed to roll up a few three or four-foot balls in the park next door to my townhouse complex. But a four-foot ball is pretty heavy. The balls sat there for a day and a half before someone managed to stack 'em into a snowman.
 taurid
Msg: 11 (view)

swimsuits
Posted: 11/10/2008 1:49:11 PM
My current swimsuit was purchased when we got to the beach town. (Packing error).

When we found the store in Galveston with tons of suits for a reasonable price, they had 'em even in my unusual size. They even had a speedo-style with a 54 waist. I wanted to get that just for its joke value, but it got vetoed.

I've never gone vacationing in Mexico, but surely the beach communities would have swimsuits -- at Mexican prices rather than Canadian prices.
 taurid
Msg: 22 (view)

Sex and marriage with robots? It could happen...
Posted: 11/10/2008 1:34:04 PM
SF's been playing with this since 1938.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_O%E2%80%99Loy

or in pop music:

>I met someone who looks a lot like you
>She does the things you do, But she is an IBM.
>
>She's only programmed to be very nice, But she's as cold as ice
>Whenever I get too near
>She tells me that she likes me very much, But when I try to touch
>She makes it all too clear.
>
>She is the latest in technology, Almost mythology
>But she has a heart stone
>She has an I.Q. of 1001, She has a jumpsuit on
>And she's also a telephone.
 taurid
Msg: 34 (view)

Remembrance Day
Posted: 11/10/2008 1:21:04 PM
1) I remember two colours in the middle. I think it was yellow and black.

2) During a controversy in the nineties, the national president of the Legion said that "We are a private club. We don't have to meet your expectations or standards." I've been unwilling to send money to the Legion ever since they said that. They have never rescinded that F*** you policy. If poppies could be bought that didn't send the money to some group that hadn't been deliberately offensive to society's standards, then I'd wear one. But the Legion owns the trademark.

The troops and former troops are a value to society. People who are frustrated at particular wars have a problem with management, not the troops. In a democracy, I may have a problem with Chretien or Harper, or a severe problem with Bush, but that doesn't reflect on the troops. Submission to civilian control is the most valuable thing that modern democracy has come up with. The guy on the front line is not the guy who chose the war. If I don't like the war, that's not his problem. Just like my offense at a particular group of veterans doesn't reflect on veterans in general.
 taurid
Msg: 46 (view)

Your First True Love
Posted: 11/10/2008 12:50:01 PM
1974 - 1974: Puppy love. Unrequited, but still not a disaster. Sigh.

1976-1977: Totally impractical approach. It could never have worked. But she would still have been a great partner. I wish I knew how she fared. I often claim that my flame-out from U in 77 was related to this.

1984: Total disaster. It came down to a choice between me and him, and she chose him. I was intermittently self-destructive for much of a year and ineffectual at my career for more than a year. There was a soap opera plotline in 90-92 and again in 03. She said several times in 92 that she made the wrong choice. She hinted at the same thing a few times a further decade later. I lost contact with her in 03. My feelings on this person looking back are very complicated.

Which one counts as "first true love?" Is puppy love not real? Is an emotional crisis strong enough to take me from top student of my graduating class to flunking out of 3rd year U not real?
 taurid
Msg: 37 (view)

Would brothels/cathouses REALLY be that bad??
Posted: 10/24/2008 4:49:27 PM
Back in 83, I met a prostitute at a party. She had been in the business in Vancouver, but had semi-retired and moved to a small town because of the hazards in the business. There wasn't much business in that small town because of "enthusiastic amateurs", but she had savings, and was glad to get out of Vancouver.

She seemed intelligent and to have her head screwed on tight. She had met her current boyfriend in that town, but not as a customer. He was aware of her career.

I took her card in case I ever "felt the need", but never followed up.
 taurid
Msg: 33 (view)

rumours and gossip
Posted: 10/24/2008 4:38:56 PM
Back in September 06, one of the few dates I've had through this site told me that two different people told her to be careful around me as I already had someone. After that, both I and Ladybug (the supposed someone) put "not dating her/him" comments at the bottom of our profiles. "A man CAN have female friends."

It bothered me. I'm a stickler for the truth.
 taurid

With regards to a purchase in Calgary
Posted: 10/24/2008 4:28:41 PM
Darkside Creations brings up interesting memories. The site is run by the brother of a co-worker I lusted after a few years back. I still have her phone number, but figured it would be inappropriate to chase her down after so long. (even before my recent status change)
 Taurid
Msg: 12 (view)

Continuing Ed
Posted: 10/4/2008 11:57:58 PM
[duplicate post deleted]
 Taurid

Continuing Ed
Posted: 10/4/2008 6:34:45 PM
My career fell apart in my late forties. At age 50, I signed up for a full-timetwo year diploma program at SAIT to learn a new one.

My previous SAIT diploma was eight years old when many of my classmates were born.
 Taurid

Wacky post dates on emails
Posted: 9/26/2008 10:13:07 AM
There was a thread about a month back about oddball times on posts. I'm not sure if anyone ever identified a cause.
 taurid

When do you change your status on your profile?
Posted: 9/25/2008 4:40:39 PM
I focus in pretty tightly pretty early. So if I'm "interested" in someone, I'll turn the flag off in PoF till I find out if the interest is going anywhere. I've had two crushes on Fish since I've been here and neither progressed to dating. Both times I took myself out of the pool till things collapsed. One turned evasive after one date and I'm not sure that the other ever noticed what I had in mind. Sigh.

"Plenty of Fish" is not part of my mindset. If there's one that holds my attention, the rest are not eligible.
 Taurid
Msg: 18 (view)

Hurricane Gustav
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:38:28 AM
OK, they dodged a bullet this time. The hurricate lost strength just before landing (they'd been expecting a ramp-up) and arrived as a class 2. The levees along the Industrial Canal in NO were overflowing slightly, but nothing gave way as of the last reports I saw.
 taurid
Msg: 16 (view)

Life Jacket anyone?
Posted: 8/27/2008 10:51:26 AM
Ten Km up is also a long freaking way. Any incident that gives you a chance to survive also gives you a chance to glide towards shore.
 taurid

Life Jacket anyone?
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:44:36 PM
Castaline thinks that they're replacing the life vests with something else. No. Up to now, they had life vests under the seat (on the appropriate flights) and straps to hold onto on the bottom of the seat cushions. Now they'll just have the seat cushions.

Loop your arms through the straps and hold on. Not nearly as good as a life vest. But your odds of being in the water alive are pretty low to start with. The issue doesn't bother me. If it bothers you, don't book flights on Jazz.
 taurid

Life Jacket anyone?
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:41:35 PM

Wasn't Alberta doing fine about 7 years ago when the price of oil was $25/barrel?

Yeah, but then we started sending all our money to China and India. This created a middle class there that wanted cars. Now we have to bid against them to get the oil.
 taurid
Msg: 35 (view)

How soon is too soon?
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:39:02 PM
Both of my "move-ins" followed on very complex soap opera plotlines. Thus one was a year and a half and the other was two years. In a more "normal" arrangement, three months would probably be fine for me.

My strata forced me to evict my roommate after he and his GF had been together for 14 months. It was too soon, and they broke up 7 times before things settled down. I'm astonished that they're still together. For him, 14 months was too early.

Another friend in 92 knew someone over the DDial linked computer chat lines, and then phone calls. After two months, he drove to Chicago and married her. When I last talked to him more than three years later, the two of them were still happy together.

Short. Long. It depends on the person. You should be together longer before the two of you buy a house together, though.
 taurid
Msg: 16 (view)

Pop ups
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:31:35 PM
Pop-ups for a virus scanner are usually a sign that you're halfway infected. There are more ways to infect your browser than to infect the whole computer. This kind of virus latches onto the browser and keeps popping stuff up to make you press the "OK" button, which gives it permission to load itself into the main part of your computer.

And they can relabel the OK button to say anything that they want. If you aren't expecting a pop-up, then don't touch ANYTHING on the pop-up besides the small x inside the upper right border.

I might have seen popups for eHarmony and other dating-related stuff from here. I wouldn't remember. I've NEVER seen a pop-up for the virus check, because that would set my alarms ringing ever since I spent two days trying to clear the result off of a friend's computer.
 taurid

Hurricane Gustav
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:26:59 PM
Nobody except Louisiana and Texas will let oil companies build new refineries. Because all the refineries are there, oil from Venezuela is always booked into ports in those two states. Now, hit one of those two with a hurricane, and you're suddenly out of both gas and crude.

Because of the lack of refineries, the US is now importing finished oil products such as gasoline and diesel, giving the income from that processing step to other countries.

Oil is going to get a lot worse. There's a reason why I bought a car that gets 85 miles a gallon ($105 round trip to Vancouver in July).
 taurid

Star Wars
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:54:16 PM
Bean Counter says he has all the episodes. Did you see "Revelations"? It was a fan-produced flic with awesome sfx but stilted dialog and stilted acting -- just like the real movies.

It was set after movie 3, but was produced before it, so some of the continuity fails.
http://panicstruckpro.com/revelations/
 taurid
Msg: 120 (view)

What was your first album,cd?
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:00:17 PM
My first three albums were various christmas gifts. My first couple of records were singles (Little Arrows, Snowbird).

The first album that I chose was Willy and the Poor Boys (CCR) that my older brother and I went half on because neither of us could afford a record on a single allowance. The first album that I bought by myself probably was Road Food (Guess Who).

First CDs? When I came out of college for the second time and started making real money, I thought of building up my album collection and decided to switch to the new technology. So I bought one of the first CD players in my town for over $600. The store threw in three discs of my choice from their limited collection. I got Eddie Rabbit's "Step by Step", Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" and Def Leppard's "Pyromania".
 Taurid
Msg: 15 (view)

time zone???????
Posted: 8/11/2008 12:24:07 AM
Duff, we looked at your bold point. That controls the time in the computer. We have (or at least I do) the auto DST set on. Our computer has the right time showing in the system tray. It is the messages on PoF that have the wrong time on them.

By one hour earlier in the week; by seven hours today; still seven hours tonight.
 Taurid
Msg: 13 (view)

time zone???????
Posted: 8/10/2008 1:40:08 PM
Ditto. My clock shows the right time in the corner, but the forums show an hour earlier than that.
-----------------------------------
(edit) OK, it WAS one hour off; now it's seven. Does that correspond to Zulu time? I think that mountain is seven hours off in the wintertime. Are we six or eight in the summer?
 Taurid

time zone???????
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:57:31 AM
Apparently I've moved to Saskatchewan. Mon Cherie has apparently (and appropriately?) moved to somewhere in France.

http://xkcd.com/448/
 Taurid
Msg: 15 (view)

would you/do you
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:45:02 AM
TessaV asks "What's a swamp cooler?"

It's a device that pushes air through wet fabric. The evaporation of the water sucks a surprising amount of heat out of the air. It can only work if you have windows open so that the air doesn't get overloaded with humidity. If the air is already humid like Toronto or much of the US south, then a swamp cooler won't work. A friend had one when she lived in a trailer near Vancouver and loved it. Unfortunately, she gave it away when she moved to an insulated and shaded townhouse.

Because the evaporation of water is making the temperature change, these use much less electricity than refrigerator-style air conditioning. But the requirement for new air entry might counteract that.

Calgary has three weather zones. I live out on the open prairie. It always cools off with a breeze at night, so I can flush the heat out of the house. Someone in the river valley gets neither of those -- less breeze and less coolness at night. I'm not sure how the foothills areas compare to either.

I have cheap ceiling fans in two bedrooms. The cheap fans are a bit noisy, but better than roasting. They can be turned off to go to sleep because the temperature falls off so fast.
 Taurid
Msg: 75 (view)

Moving to Calgary...any advice?
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:11:28 PM
I have driven in both Calgary and Toronto. Toronto's expressways are a complex dance at high speed and you are expected to know your steps. If you flub a movement, then confusion spreads out and people are upset.

But Calgary is just a crowd moving. Nobody expects much of you, and an agressive driver expects the meek to get out of his way.

I found the traffic flow in Toronto to be much safer than Calgary's, after a few days to learn the music for myself. But I wouldn't want to drive it every day. Even when everyone knows their parts, daily rush hours wear you down.
 Taurid

time zone???????
Posted: 8/7/2008 8:03:41 AM
My profile has two choices. "HNC-0600" or "HNR-0700 DSST April 4"
Changing this back and forth does not change the time displayed on the posts.
I've never noticed whether the posts had an accurate time previously. I'm now seeing my own post with a one-hour-too-early time stamp.
 Taurid

time zone???????
Posted: 8/7/2008 7:57:31 AM
Your post says 8:54 when I read it. I'm posting this at 8:56 one day later. (MDT)
 Taurid
Msg: 26 (view)

Dating after sobriety
Posted: 8/4/2008 12:11:14 PM
The original question was about someone that had beat the initial couple of weeks. At that point, I would be willing to take the chance.

The former addiction would always "be there", and would be something I would be watching for the return of, and that might be a friction item, but I wouldn't reject utterly.

I have an "addictive personality", but never had the right peer group to fall into any of the serious addictions before the rest of the forebrain grew up to say "that's dumb". If someone else had a different peer group, that's something that they can grow out of.

I'd vote for "yes. Trust 'em now that they're clean."
 Taurid
Msg: 68 (view)

Moving to Calgary...any advice?
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:59:59 AM

Alluria: Now...the only question left unanswered is the actual DATE

Well, PoF is the right place to come to find that date.

(I just love stuff out of context.)

Looking: Make sure you get a car that is built for winter driving

The battery is a big issue. My metro has no plug in, but the battery can crank and crank and crank. Let it rest a bit, then crank another twenty seconds. On the third try, you've warmed up the cylinder enough to actually fire. My Metro never let me down in the cold. If the car you buy has a battery older than five years, replace the battery with a new heavy duty one.
 Taurid

EX's who owe money
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:37:50 AM
In 1984, I "loaned" a fairly large lump of money to someone I was almost-kinda-dating. I figured it would be irrelevant when we inevitably were together. When she chose the other guy, he acknowledged the debt, and "declared" an increased value of it as interest several times over the years. Eventually, 19 years later he stopped talking to me over a misunderstanding and she never returned my calls, presumably to honour his requirements, so I "wrote off" the much-increased (by interest) debt.

In 1992, I loaned a falrly large sum of money to someone I was almost-kinda-dating. I figured it would be irrelevant when we inevitably were together. We never did form a relationship, and the friendship disappeared for reasons I never did discover most of a year later. If you can walk away from love, walking away from money is no big deal.

One of the most important speeches by the founder of one of the world's most important religions suggests, as part of a sample prayer to consider using, "Forgive us our debts as we forgive those who have debts to us." Drop the matter and move onwards will give you karma points if you follow that religion. Even if you don't, consider the odds. If you're not likely to collect, than worrying about it doesn't make his life worse. It only makes you age faster. It's only money. Walk away from it and make some more instead. Inner Peace is worth a fair amount of money, and if you're not likely to collect anyways, go for the peace.

Of sourse, if you're on the other sice of the relationship, then Baslim's law is paramount. "DEBTS MUST BE PAID!". You are as good as your word. Not that your reputation is as good as your word. You, yourself, are. Even if nobody knows about the debts, YOU do, and blowing them off proves to yourself that you're smaller than you think.

But that second speech doesn't apply here. Do as I say, not as I do. I have a fair number of fairly large personal debts receivable, and I only rarely write them off.

Show ALL Forums