Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Advice on keeping her interested
 Fikirimi
Msg: 40 (view)

Advice on keeping her interested
Posted: 8/28/2017 4:34:04 AM
hemingway
The more you push the more you'll tend to push her away. Playing hard to get usually works better.

I agree with the push statement. Being pushy is not good.

I don't agree with playing hard to get, and it doesn't "work" with everyone. I think those types of games are juvenile. I prefer a man who shows interest, doesn't run hot & cold, and stays in touch. If I like him and think we're compatible, then I reciprocate by showing interest and staying in touch. Why play stupid games?
 Fikirimi
Msg: 14 (view)

trying to message someone for long distance relationship
Posted: 8/28/2017 4:04:09 AM
I recently got a message from some "guy" in Florida. I live in Virginia. It went sorta like this:

Him: "Hey sweetie! Cute smile!"

Me: "Hey babe! You know what? When guys write to me from several states away who haven't filled out their chemistry and needs tests and have almost nothing on their profiles, it always seems like they're scammers! What do you think about that?"

For some reason, he never wrote back.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 2 (view)

Profile reiew: Not sure where I'm going wrong
Posted: 8/21/2017 7:23:29 AM
Well, you've made no effort to say anything about yourself. Very few interests listed, no chemistry or needs test filled out, nothing except "oh, message me if you're interested." Not very enticing or interesting, your profile. No sense of your personality at all. And what's with "prefer not to say" if you have a car? A peculiar answer to an ordinary question.

Apart from that, getting messages from men you're not attracted to and not getting replies from the ones you want, that's just the normal dating game. It's work, and you're gonna have to go through lots and lots of it and kiss a lot of frogs. Good luck.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 114 (view)

Do you ever get too 'old' for the forums?
Posted: 8/13/2017 8:17:34 AM
Do I ever get too old for the forums? No, never. It's just information, and information is always good to have. If the original question, however, was intended to mean do we get too old for online dating, then I have to say, how lucky have you been meeting people in real life? I have the opportunity on line to meet all kinds of people I'd never run into at the grocery store.

You wouldn't want to be considered as a cradle robber if you're in your mid to late 70's, or 80's, and trying to meet someone in their 60's.

I wouldn't GAS what anyone else thought. That is only the business of the two people involved.

If I were 75 and could attract someone who was 60, I would go for it. Why not? Men drop dead earlier than women in every age bracket. And men try to date women who are 10+ years their junior. Why should it be ok just for them?
 Fikirimi
Msg: 148 (view)

One-Line Messages
Posted: 8/12/2017 2:21:03 AM
When I first got on here, all of about two months ago, I didn't think I'd reply to a one-line message. Then I got one that was written in such a way that I knew he'd read my profile. He's turned out to be one of the most interesting guys that's contacted me yet, and we've been messaging quite a bit. So I'm going to remove the 50-word restriction on messages. The lame ones are easy to delete.

You just never know.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 141 (view)

Girls.. Does this happen to you?
Posted: 8/12/2017 1:16:57 AM
Flirting is almost always the opening move and it's often the most interesting one. Flirting without sexual innuendo is safest at first. Flirting with innuendo and without being too crude is an art form. Outright sexual suggestions is not flirting and usually not welcome.

AintNo, just stay away from those types of women. There are plenty of us out here who will give straight answers to those questions. If you don't know any, I'll give you my number. (Flirting!!!)

Absolutely agree with your last comment. If you are a flirter, go for it.

Butterchicken Chuck Baby, my dirty, filthy, flirting, sex-seeking pig turned out to be a scammer. He disappeared as soon as I suggested we talk on Skype. Baaahahahaha!
 Fikirimi
Msg: 139 (view)

Posted: 8/11/2017 5:48:11 PM
Fikirimi
" I will return to tell you if he turns out to be a filthy, dirty, sex seeking pig so you can all say I told you so."

Butterchicken Chuck
If he's a relatively mentally and physically healthy male then we already know he is.
The real question is how he reveals it . Either in a blatant no class kinda way or in a slick, James Bond kinda way.
...the name is Chuck - BUTTER CHICKEN Chuck

Chuck, baby, that was me being funny!
 Fikirimi
Msg: 131 (view)

Posted: 8/11/2017 12:52:45 PM
OMG!!!! A new guy just messaged me with "Hey beautiful..."!!!! I better go slap him down HARD!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops, too late, I responded in kind and we are now having a nice chat. Be assured I will return to tell you if he turns out to be a filthy, dirty, sex seeking pig so you can all say I told you so.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 65 (view)

No intention of having kids...= No Dates ..???
Posted: 8/11/2017 7:02:46 AM
I've never wanted kids and am now past child-bearing years. In my age range, the profiles of the men I'm interested in all say they don't want kids, and the kids that they already have are all independent adults, so that's a nonissue. The no-kids requirement has not been a problem for me at all.

Stick to your guns, OP. If you truly don't want kids and you end up with someone who does, one or both of you is going to end up unhappy.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 263 (view)

How do you stimulate the clitoris?
Posted: 8/10/2017 3:26:42 PM
Lots of good ideas on technique here. But every woman is different and can take varying degrees of pressure and stimulation. If you can't talk to her about it and she can't tell you what she prefers, then you'll likely run into other problems sooner or later.

I do agree with dcb5212. Take your time.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 228 (view)

Who shoud initiate kissing/sex? The man or woman?
Posted: 8/10/2017 3:20:34 PM
Mascali, I never initiate the FIRST kiss, because I'm already bold enough to make plenty of moves once I'm sure of a man's interest. I hear men saying all the time they'd like it if a woman makes the first move, but in my experience that is a fairy tale that never happens. They get all threatened and want to be the one who chases. If he doesn't have the confidence to lead and go for it at the beginning, then our relationship is doomed before it starts.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 123 (view)

Cutting hair boy short and the impact on attraction
Posted: 8/10/2017 3:14:45 PM
In my experience, men are not looking at me for my hair. They're not objecting to it, either.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 10 (view)

Some constructive criticism on my profile please. :)
Posted: 8/10/2017 3:07:35 PM

As far as the out of my league way of thinking, we all know how that works, even if we don't agree with it. Anyway, I can't help that I'm not attracted to obese women.

It has less to do with what you're attracted to than the douchey way you worded it. As previously suggested, just say you're looking for someone interested in sharing a fitness lifestyle. Us fat broads will get the hint.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 6 (view)

Getting very few responses
Posted: 8/10/2017 2:59:13 PM
Chippy, if a toothy grin is forcing it for you, don't post it. The photos you have posted are fine. You come across as having a quiet sort of energy, so an energetic toothy grin might not work. The best photos are where you're relaxed and comfortable, like when you're kitty cuddling. Being yourself is always best.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 75 (view)

Profiles that Turn the Ladies on ???
Posted: 8/10/2017 2:52:22 PM
The OP seems to believe that a woman's sexual response is similar to a man's and there is the possibility she will become sexually excited by reading a profile. Hate to burst your fairy tale, that doesn't happen.

For a woman there has to be some initial chemistry attraction to the photo, same as for a man. But women need more of a cerebral connection. If a profile is intelligently written, I'll keep reading. If it's funny and he has enough similar interests as I do, I'll probably message him. But if he has too many restrictions on what he's looking for in a mate and I don't have those things, no matter how smart, funny or attractive I find him, he's just eliminated me.

Smart, funny and confident are what I look for.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 128 (view)

Posted: 8/10/2017 2:43:22 PM
I have not had that exact experience, but for me it depends on context. If someone I barely knew was calling me babe and sexy right away, I'd assume he was only interested in sex. Next. However, there have been guys I've messaged with who we have had good chemistry almost immediately, and it didn't take long for a little light hearted flirting to happen. They still haven't called me babe or sexy, so apparently they have class. Am still talking to them.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 42 (view)

Communication and Dressing Up for dates
Posted: 8/10/2017 2:18:18 PM
I've been messaging someone for a week. Thought it had been a couple of weeks, since we've exchanged quite a few messages so far and we seem to be getting to know each other reasonably well, but I just checked my sent messages, and it's only been a week. He seems not only nice but fun and normal. He asked if we could talk on the phone after about a half dozen messages, and I countered with how about a Skype chat. He couldn't get Skype sorted out, so after a few more days and a few more messages, I gave him my number so I could walk him through it. He has called me exactly one time, and we only talked for about 5 minutes as he was just getting off a night shift and was tired. It was a nice call, reinforcing that he sounded like a nice guy.

He'll message me on the POF board for a few days, then a few days might go by without any contact. As I said, he has only called me one time, and I had to encourage him to do so, even though he asked for my number. He has never texted me, and his main method of communication is still messaging me here on POF. I have his number, since he called me, but I have never called him as he has never invited me to. At this point, there are no red flags, and I'd like it if he'd call more often. He's the one taking it slowly.

Last time he messaged me, he seemed frustrated with the Skype effort and talked about getting together for a casual meal and conversation, just throwing the suggestion out to gauge my interest. I went with my gut and said tell me when and where. That was yesterday and am waiting to hear back. Everyone is different as to how much contact they need. I'd welcome a bit more at this point since there has not been one thing in his communications that was evasive, inconsistent or alarming.

As far as how to dress, I'm expecting this to be a daytime meeting, so I plan on sandals, jeans and a nice blouse. I'm glad the question was brought up, though. I'd feel a bit weird if he came out in a sport jacket and slacks and I was in jeans. So whenever he gets around to setting up the meet, I'm going to ask about the dress code so we can at least be on equal footing.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 571 (view)

I am noticing a trend in women over 30
Posted: 8/10/2017 1:51:20 PM
This thread is old but still relevant.

I put in my profile looking for men up to 15 years my junior, and I'll tell you why. Women outlive men, so if I found someone younger and ended up in a long term relationship, maybe he wouldn't die 20 years before I did. My chosen age range leaves the youngest man who I think might be suitable at around 50, which I think is perfectly appropriate for a woman of 64. A 15 year gap like that might not work if the woman was 30, 40 or possibly even 50, but the older the woman's age, the better the chance the maturity levels are going to be fine if the man is a bit younger.

In my observation, at about age 60, a lot of men seem to start looking and acting worn out. I have a lot of energy, and I'd like to find someone who still wants to get out and do things on a regular basis. Also, most people tell me I look younger than my years. Based on the number of men under 60 who have contacted me and don't have one word to say about my age (one asked was that REALLY my age, he couldn't believe I was in my 60s), it looks like that assessment is accurate.

As long as my photo can attract a younger man, I'm going for it.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 5 (view)

Critique greatly appreciated!
Posted: 8/10/2017 2:48:37 AM
Profile looks pretty good as rewritten, but I'd like to see more items on your interests list. Too many photos with sunglasses. As a woman, I want to see your face, not your eyewear.

I'd fill in the needs test. Yes, it's long and a bit of a PIA. You might be aware there are a lot of fake profiles on here, and one of the things scammers won't take the time to do is fill out either the needs or the chemistry tests. If I see a man's profile with both of those things completed, I'll take it more seriously that he's for real.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 4 (view)

Getting very few responses
Posted: 8/10/2017 2:15:27 AM
Chippy, I think your photos are fine. The ones with you cuddling the cats are especially sweet, just the kind of thing women will love. As a cat owning woman, I speak from experience. It speaks well of your character.

Your profile reads very well. Plenty of information in it, lots of interests listed. Don't know if it's true of all women, but I tend to read profiles pretty carefully, especially when they're thoughtful and well written like yours is.

5'7" will be an issue only for a superficial twit that you don't need to worry about. The average woman is only 5'3" anyway, so not a problem.

Lots of men on here say they don't get many responses. Well, I don't either, so I don't know who's going around sucking up all the damn responses!! I think it's just one of those things you get used to. Lots of people you meet in real life don't ask you for your phone number, either. It's not uncommon for it to take six months or more until someone finds someone suitable. And there are people who have been on here for years and are still looking.

Also, I think I read a statistic somewhere that said women are less likely than men to use online dating, perhaps because they're less technogically inclined, more fearful of meeting people online, who knows. But that's the way it's stacked. You shouldn't just wait for responses. Be proactive, message women in your geographic area, check to see who has looked at your profile and message the ones you're interested in. Look at this as a job, and you're screening applicants. It does take a lot of work.

On the bright side, the forums are loaded with great people who give great advice. I'm slowly developing some long distance friends that way, which is a nice side benefit.

Good luck, dear. You have a lot to offer, and some lady will be lucky to have you. Hang in there!
 Fikirimi
Msg: 3 (view)

Profile review
Posted: 8/10/2017 1:50:06 AM
ScooterSB
Shirtless pics are the hallmark of a douche

Scoot, hilarious but true!!! [blowing you kisses]

OP, you ask to be messaged if you have anything in common, but you've put almost nothing about what you're interested in. Fitness, travel and a picture of you with a bunch of beer drinking friends. I'd pass on that. Put down more of your interests and take more time to make yourself sound interesting.

Also, take the time to fill out the needs and chemistry tests. Scammers will NOT take the time for that, so if you want to look more like you're a real person seriously looking and less like a fly-by-night scam artist, do it.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 48 (view)

How Many Meet Me Notices Are In Your Mailbox?
Posted: 8/6/2017 5:58:11 PM
Yeah, the Meet Me notices are a bs waste of time, and I ignore them.

Someone said they thought being favorited was creepy. I favorited a couple of guys while I pondered whether to message them. I was thinking about it because I thought maybe I didn't meet their criteria. If they say they want a "beautiful" woman, I've never considered myself beautiful, so I pass those up. While I was pondering, one of the guys I favorited wrote me, and we've been messaging for a few days. He seems like a nice guy.

A couple of other guys I've favorited because they make great posts on the forum, and I like to drop people a note from time to time to thank them for their advice and to let them know they're helping people. I would even do that for some of the women who give great advice, but their mail filters won't let me drop them a note. So thanks, gals, for all the great advice.

Now I'm going to go give AintNo a Meet Me notice just to crank his numbers up and make him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 71 (view)

Old profile pictures
Posted: 8/6/2017 5:21:37 PM
Seems to me having at least one video call is more efficient. You can tell a lot on a video call, like whether the other person is awkward or insecure, whether the conversation flows easily, and whether the attraction factor is there, more so than with a still photo. People can still hide a lot of untruthfulness behind a phone call. Plus scammers will back away from any suggestion of a video call. That's been my limited experience, anyway. I think moving the conversation to in person is best, but a video call is just another excellent screening tool.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 69 (view)

Old profile pictures
Posted: 8/6/2017 3:10:24 PM
Why are so many people going to in-person meet ups without having had a video call at least once beforehand? Wouldn't that solve the problem? There's Skype, Whats App, Facebook (you can always create a temporary account) and who knows how many other ways of doing a video call. For me, no face-to-face meeting without a video call first for this exact reason. I want to know that the face on the other side of the screen matches what's posted on the profile.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 81 (view)

Would you ever try to get a ex back who dumped you?
Posted: 8/5/2017 11:06:20 AM

Would you ever try to get a ex back who dumped you?

Not in a million years. Two ex's have tried to get me back who left me. They both did me a huge favor by leaving. In the words of my new best friend ouija, "Be gone, Satan!!"
 Fikirimi
Msg: 29 (view)

Being Blown Off . . .
Posted: 8/5/2017 5:45:08 AM
I really appreciate all the responses to my OP. There's some really sound advice that's been given. What a great bunch of people you are on here! Thanks, everyone.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 24 (view)

Being Blown Off . . .
Posted: 8/4/2017 2:54:17 PM
norwegianguy

But I will say, it Is in your best interest in the dating scene, to get the ability to receive texts. :)

Yep, came to that conclusion several days ago. Brand, spankin' new smartphone is on the way.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 17 (view)

Being Blown Off . . .
Posted: 8/4/2017 6:24:07 AM
luuluu -
When a guy says "I'll call you" to me, I take it to mean " I WON'T CALL YOU." 100% of the time I'm right.

You are totally right. That's why I prefer if guys would just say that instead of pretending to be interested in seeing me again. Oh, well. That's why I'm here. To hone my skills. :)

ouija -
PLus by not actually telling you that you are ditched they can pop up again 6 months later and act like it's all good. And why do they always reappear?

Lack of other options.

" Just calling to say hi"
" be gone Satan"

You are my new best friend!!!!

cowgirl -
pffft if that man was interested he would have made a point to call, text or email
he would have been running out door and down hallway to find a private place to send you a quick message
stand out in friggin rain or go to his car he would give you a quick heads up that he is driving but would love to call you as soon as he got home.
there would be NO question he was interested

And you are my second new best friend!!!
 Fikirimi
Msg: 11 (view)

Being Blown Off . . .
Posted: 8/3/2017 7:49:43 PM
southcity - Not an OLD meeting, it was IRL from the beginning. But of course you're right, essentially there's no difference. No guarantees, flaking can happen at any time.

aintnodeal - Thanks for your unvarnished input. Just what I needed! I've read a lot of your posts, and you've got an amazing amount of insight. You should write a book. Seriously.

ouija - Thanks for the welcome! I think another bus has arrived already. Had an interesting exchange of messages this afternoon with someone on here. We'll be talking soon, either by phone or on Skype.

iredurbio - That's very kind of you to say. He'll never know how lucky he could have been. :)
 Fikirimi
Msg: 6 (view)

Being Blown Off . . .
Posted: 8/3/2017 2:46:28 PM
yuleliquor - He didn't give me his work number, I have his cell number only. No way will I call him again, since he hasn't called back. And given how drastically the communication dropped in the week since our get-together, with me doing more of the initiating (a reverse pattern from the first two weeks), I'm starting to be inclined not to contact him again.

I'll never understand why guys just don't make it a clean getaway. Why tell me you want to see me again if you're not feelin' it? He could have just said "I'll call you" at the door, and with no contact I would have figured it out a week ago.

norwegianguy - why not text is because I have an old dumb phone that doesn't receive texts. If he's not going to keep up the contact, I don't feel like I should be pressing him with texts. I do feel like I've done more than my share of showing interest and initiating contact. Thanks. This just confirms what I thought. His loss. Next!

ouija – that's what I thought. I'll leave it alone. Thanks!

forumslady – not taking it personally, just trying to sort it out. Don't know when he works or when he's off because he works a rotating shift. He could be at work at any time. Being too understanding puts me in the position of a doormat, someone to be taken for granted. The only excuse he could possibly have for not calling at this point would be he broke both his hands and all ten fingers. I think ouija is right: he's not interested. I'm not contacting him again.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 1 (view)

Having Trouble Posting
Posted: 8/3/2017 2:13:15 PM
When I'm logged in and try to post to a thread, I often get the log-in screen again and have to repost the message. Sometimes I have to go thru that 2 or 3 times before it actually posts.

Just tried to reply to a post I created, and it's not taking my answer. I've only posted the initial message, so it's not me exceeding the 10 post limit. What could I be doing wrong?
 Fikirimi
Msg: 102 (view)

Women taking the lead?
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:43:58 AM

How do we feel about a girl asking a guy out if he hasn't been in touch for a few days? I know most people say women should just take the backseat and let the guy reach out every time... But what if you've been dating for a few months and he starts seeming distant, does the thinking change? Is it acceptable for the woman to say "Hey! Haven't seen you in a while, want to (movie/dinner/fill in blank) next Friday?" Suggestions?

If you've been dating for a couple of months, this shouldn't be a problem. If it is a problem, then something's wrong. A woman should definitely *not* take the back seat and let the guy do all the work. That's immature and thoughtless. He may be getting distant because he's tired of doing all the work, and you're not reciprocating. Definitely ask him out. At this point in the relationship, it's time for you to be something more than dead weight.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 5 (view)

How to Start a Chat/Conversation for the first time
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:36:47 AM

I've read from various websites that the best way to start a chat or conversation when you're interested in someone is to talk about the things that you have in common with her...and then build on that.Well, lately I have been having a hard time trying to start the chat as I just do the exact opposite...which causes women to read my profile and then delete it.

Why are you doing the opposite of what's good advice? No wonder you're getting deleted. Read her profile. Make some conversation based on something she wrote. Make it funny, make her laugh.

Those are the things that get me to reply, assuming the requisite physical attraction is there.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 1 (view)

Being Blown Off . . .
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:24:23 AM
. . . as in, the other person not intending to see or contact you again. I can be really dense sometimes. Ladies, if a guy tells you he'll call you in "a couple of days," and a week goes by with no contact, would you consider that you'd been blown off? Seems to me if a guy gives you a timeline that simple and can't keep it, that's a signal he's not into it.

Met this guy IRL. We had a great first get-together. Talked and laughed very easily for four hours. He was interesting, charming, polite, a perfect gentleman. At the end of the evening, he said he had a great time and wanted to see me again. I said the same. There were a few emails during the week after that, and I responded to his last email with a phone call because one of his first emails to me was a flirty hint that he wanted me to call him. He was at work, so I let him go really fast. It was the first and last time I called him.

He did tell me in person that he has a demanding job and works a rotating shift, sometimes days and sometimes nights. He'd emailed me a fair amount the previous 2 weeks before our get together, just brief stuff coordinating the evening he'd planned and once saying sorry he'd taken so long to reply (5 days) but he was having a crazy work week. I am not pestering him with emails. I am not texting. And I'm certainly not calling. Am giving him some space, wanting him to take the lead and gauge his interest. Me making the first moves has never worked out, but I'm great at giving encouragement, showing interest. Once I think he's interested, I pull my weight. I initiate, I call, I'll plan dates. But having been burned so many times for being too forward, I'm letting him take the lead.

If it matters, we're both over 50, he's an Italian citizen in the military. I still think the male lack of contact means he's lost interest for whatever reason, no matter where he's from. Also, there was no wedding ring and no tan line where one might have been.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I feel I'm getting mixed signals. Even at a demanding job, it shouldn't be that hard to find 5 minutes when you get home to pick up the phone or fire off an email if you're getting off in the middle of the night. Am considering sending him a brief note saying I feel I'm getting mixed signals. Am I being dense again or is this an obvious no-longer-interested scenario and would I be stupid not to just let it go?
 Fikirimi
Msg: 49 (view)

Getting to know you
Posted: 8/3/2017 6:44:02 AM
You 95% don't care about what your date is interested in, but you want to jump into "more than dates/sex" (and just what does *that* mean??) after a couple of dates? Good luck with that, my friend. They can probably smell your self centeredness a mile away.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 57 (view)

so phone numbers given out or not, that is the question ?
Posted: 8/3/2017 6:39:18 AM
I'm just now getting back into dating, but I wouldn't give out my phone number until a few emails happened first, to see if the guy can put together a sentence. If he can't do that, we're not likely going to have much to talk about, as communication is very important to me. If the first couple of emails go well, I'd then move to a video chat to prescreen based on real appearance and voice, as well as get an idea of personality. I'd likely be able to decide after one video call whether an in person meeting was worth both our time and would at that point probably give out a number. If it didn't work out, there is such a thing as call blocking, I do believe.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 63 (view)

Is this true?
Posted: 8/3/2017 6:26:41 AM
I've always been under the impression that the man prefers to chase and the woman should play hard to get. I'm very straightforward and find manipulative dating games juvenile and a waste of time, but whenever I make the first moves or show too much interest too soon, it never works out for me.

I'm fine with making contact, suggesting date ideas, initiating sex -- some of the time, not all of the time, and not most of the time. It has to be reciprocated in some way or another in an equal fashion. But I've learned my lesson and will hold back until I'm sure of his level of interest. Then, if he's up for it, let the sizzling begin.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 293 (view)

Introduce Yourself Here.
Posted: 8/2/2017 2:43:35 PM
Hi. Am just about ready to get into dating again. I can be incredibly dense where it concerns dating stuff, so I thought I'd read the forums for a while first. Plus I'm trying to decide whether I want to relocate. Anyway, here I am, hoping to learn something.

Show ALL Forums