Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: When is a National Service a Private concern?
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 2 (view)

When is a National Service a Private concern?
Posted: 8/26/2018 2:57:13 AM
ah ha....

it seems I have stumble across the new in testing national rail site. The old one is still there and still lets you do reasonable searches. Maybe national rail is trialing their new site to see if Jo Public will let them get away with it or not.

Well forumers, it's up to you. Join the revolution and say no, in google choose the second national rail website option, not the first then the second will eventually bubble above the new site......
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1 (view)

When is a National Service a Private concern?
Posted: 8/26/2018 2:36:03 AM
Hi folks. I was just checking train fares from Noisy Hotel Apartments to Quiet Home, on the national rail website. Straight away I noticed the "new look" But what I wasn't expecting was the requirement to do a captcha PROVE YOU'RE NOT A ROBOT each time I try a different parameter in the search. Tha knows, when you have to tick all the pictures with a mustached sausage in thing.
Now I can understand national rail not wanting commercial operators from using their site to spy on other commercial operators, but we innocent commuters and travelers don't want the extra minutes and terabytes of data just to repeatedly prove our legitimate birthright to information from a public body. National Rail being the umbrella organization for all the rail operators in the UK.

Is this captcha lark a step too far? The press has a field day when some tosspot politician suggests that the railway fares structure is too complicated and

Rail firms admit "anomalies" in the system mean passengers are not ... which represents rail firms, said about 55 million different fares exist in the current system

which of course stands to reason when you have 2566 railway stations which means er potentially 2466*2566 basic journey possibilities which is 6,584,356. Thats before you consider perfectly sensible peak, off peak, day return, period return, and 7 day season, monthly season and yearly season, and advance purchase. Which comes to 52,674,848 potential fares. Then there would be fares from different operators covering the same journey....
SO usual load of scaremongering cobblers from the bbc...

Which is precisely why we the public need an easy to use, bug free website to tell us what is the cheapest fare for our journey
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 17 (view)

a pointless wail about the lack of soundproofing in dwellings
Posted: 8/26/2018 1:54:53 AM
Funny you should choose that particular vid as the "hotel" I'm at right now is within a nailgun's throw of a building site with the full range of noise making activities during the day thus ensuring that any sleep lost over night cannae be recovered after 8am on any days off that we have.

this one followed on without me noticing....

https://youtu.be/gb_BUp4QSRo
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 2 (view)

Are you a creature of habit. Or spontaneous
Posted: 8/25/2018 6:49:53 PM
ate another square of 81% dark chocolate while typing this
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 20 (view)

Science Says Texas has millions of empty KY jelly jars in the trash
Posted: 8/25/2018 6:39:31 PM
Twin Flames: is a person who you are destined to feel connected to on a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual level. Your twin flame represents your friend, lover and teacher in this life. He or she is the catalyst of your spiritual growth and the mirror of your deepest desires, needs, and fears. Your twin flame will reflect back to you all of your inner shadows, but also your deepest beauty and greatest strengths. In this way, your twin flame helps you to access tremendous emotional, psychological, and spiritual growth.

It has also been popularly suggested that twin flames stay together for entire lifetimes. Connecting deeply with another person doesn’t necessarily guarantee that you will stay with them forever – this is dependent on your own level of conscious development and that of your twin flames. Also, in the spiritual community most people suggest that we only have one twin flame in our lifetimes. Such a belief stems from the origins of the concept of “twin flames” in Plato’s The Symposium dialogue which indicated that humans originally had two faces, four arms and four legs. Because of this, humans were once so powerful that they threatened to overpower the gods, so the mythic god Zeus split them in half. However, it is said that once we discover our other “half” again we are filled with a profound sense of wholeness. Whether this explanation of twin flames is out-dated or not is up to you to decide.

It is common for us to get really excited about meeting our “twin flame.” However, sometimes this jubilation results in romanticized projection, meaning that we paint an idealized image onto another person that might not be returned or welcomed by them resulting in severe disillusionment. Also, when we suffer from low self-esteem and a lack of self-love, it is natural for us to try and find a kind of needy acceptance outside of ourselves (hence the projection), so be careful of infatuation and idolization. Your twin flame is certainly not perfect – just like you.

acrosstheplains
Msg: 26 (view)

Supermarket etiquette
Posted: 8/25/2018 6:28:32 PM
do you remember an edition of that doctors program that had assorted youngish males on different diets. One of the participants actually put definable muscle mass on after increasing his overall calorie intake. The doctors seemed baffled but I would have thought it was obvious. That for his genetic makeup etc, his body would have been more buff but previously he had been under eating and so wasn't maintaining muscle mass. As soon as he ate enough, his body stopped sacrificing muscle, and built it up instead. As to what proportion of the extra food he was eating was protein, I don't know.
Weightlifters and body builders typically eat 1.5 to 3 g per Kg of body mass, of protein daily. It's long been argued that most are wasting most it.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 344 (view)

Random Music - Lets Sing About Everything
Posted: 8/25/2018 6:14:41 PM
Cheers Vlad for not padding your post with nonsense....

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.

Did I mention the mods once slapped a maximus minimus tariff on my posts of maybe aboot 10,000 characters. I had to copy and paste from some random online novel....War and Peace I think.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 28 (view)

Men but not Women will go extinct
Posted: 8/25/2018 6:07:14 PM
one hundred years ago the number of jobs requiring a lot of thinking skills, were limited to mainly scientific professions dominated by men. So Sienna.......................................... Does that mean that the average IQ of women has increased considerably?

One hundred years ago we didn't have computers as we know them now. When I was a wee bairn at at school we didn't even have electronic calculators. We used mental arithmetic for simple things like addition, subtraction (that's a little like addition Sienna) multiplication (which is like doing addition multiple times Sienna) and division (also related to addition....)

For more difficult arithmetic we had these things called logtables (no, Sienna, not the same thing as a particleboard flat topped furniture item you keep your makeup and medicines on) Some poor guys many years ago spent bleedin ages working out on paper, tables of figures that when used correctly enabled users to quickly calculate trigonometric problems and other wonderful stuff that computers now can do in the blink of an eye (or faster than you can apply lipstick )

So I would say unless you confuse knowledge with intelligence, it's most likely there hasn't being any significant increase in absolute terms except where there has been a wholesale improvement in nutrition during gestation and childhood which arguably could have some effect on the subsequent brain development. Then of course there was air and water pollution, the use of lead and other heavy metals, and organic phosphates which doubtlessly restricted human brain development.

NO WAIT, we're messing our children's brains up right now with pesticides, heavy metal water contamination and air pollution, duhhhh.

The modern child spends far longer in education than ever before. It wasn't until WW2 that school leaving age was raised from 14 to 15. Children used to start full time work as apprentices or just slave labor doing menial work. Hardly surprising that with little real education, poor environment and no work to even require or stimulate advanced learning, that the average intellectual development was quite low compared to now.

It is widely recognized that typical Asian culture requires children to do well so that they might gain well paid employment and hence financially support their parents in later life. Hence the practice of home study, extra study and other support which leads Asian children to achieve better grades. Some African children being raised to farm their family's land often don't have access to much formal education. So it stands to reason that when testing for book smarts, African children will typically score lower than Asian children. But there are exceptions to all rules. In Kenya for instance, a child who shows ability has a much better chance of getting a scholarship to do a degree. On the other hand, a girl living in Pakistan would be exceptionally lucky to get further education. It's often down to culture and resources.

By your logic Sienna, Alaska Natives should be miles more intelligent than anyone from some hot country populated by convicts and loners. And the Abominable Snow Men of the Artic should be the brightest yeti on earth.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 342 (view)

Posted: 8/25/2018 5:00:38 PM

Working at the JobCentre has to be a tense job – knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day.

I suspect most ex jobless center employees would rather work at MaccyDs then sign on the signature pads. That's if the offices nerth of the border have rolled out these marvelous new high tech gizmos. They know just how much the system is stacked against you now. And if they were fired, rather than made redundant, they wouldn't be eligible for benefit for up to 2 years under the new rules anyway.

The nasty party are trying to kill us all off. Death by bad food, bad air. Fecking our NHS up so it can't care for us. Removing the safety net so we starve and freeze to death if circumstances work against us. I stopped assuming I'd have permanent employment a while ago, I'm now happy if I'm employed 10 out 12 months a year. The stratospheric rise in foodbanks is barely believable in this day and age, wasn't it supposed to be the bad old victorian times when people starved to death on the streets or in workhouses.

The toffname gag is funny though.

as for sex, nay, no idea what that is either.

"They say Americans don't get sarcasm, but at least one of them does... 'Make America Great'."

lovely historical/political jibe there...
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 364 (view)

trough feeding
Posted: 8/24/2018 3:00:23 PM
Atkins is damn difficult though if you're vegetarian. Most vegetarian protein sources have moderate amounts of carbs too.
Almond nuts are about the best with only 4% carbs.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 336 (view)

Posted: 8/24/2018 2:54:59 PM
wine, cheese, soap and sex.....?

acrosstheplains
Msg: 1029 (view)

Sitting, kneeling or hiding out in the lockeroom during our anthem
Posted: 8/24/2018 2:36:20 PM

You have to want to. Black people are free to go back to Africa if they find living in the U.S. is too difficult for them.

it's the ignorance that astounds. Africa is a continent dearie. 54 countries. While slavery did occur more in the coastal areas simply because of the increased cost of taking the kidnapped prisoners over land compared to sea, many areas of Africa had people stolen to support the wealth making activities of the English slavers and American plantation owners etc etc. And yes, I am aware that there was a slave trade in between different African countries too, particularly the Arabic countries in North Africa. Slavery was prevalent even in ancient Roman and Egyptian times, and quite probably prehistoric times.

Surprisingly, some African countries don't want people with no proven connection (other than the color of their skin) entering their countries and claiming some sort of asylum or return to birth right.

I believe that "black people" want equality of opportunity and treatment, just like "white people" just like anybody, except those who already have most of the cake for themselves and don't want to share it out fairly.

Of course no one wants to be labelled as failures. That's not we're doing, we just asking people to acknowledge when the system is unfair and needs changing. When people bury their heads in the sand and claim there isn't a problem, that's precisely when there is a problem. I am well aware that there are many white people in the US who are struggling with the system, struggling to rise above poverty. The one difference, the one benefit is that in most areas of the US, a white person isn't subject to institutionalized racist discrimination.

acrosstheplains
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 8/24/2018 1:50:33 PM
ah, but don't forget the height difference between you and I

So there's further to bend over to reach peas, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, etc. Men tend to be less flexible, maybe because we develop our muscles more makes our tendons less stretchy, I don't know. Or maybe because women are genetically programmed to be more flexible so it's not impossibly painful to dilate when giving birth.... I imagine I'd die from the pain of childbirth.

I reached 6'1" by the time I was 15 and 3/4, as did 3 others in my school group. Whether in those days we appeared like a bunch of threatening yobs to little old grannies, I don't know. Though we were quite good natured, even when we went out on friday night pub crawl.

a few peeps have concurred about dreams been more colorful when you're warmer, so thats a good call on the connection with fevers.

From what I remember about my theory, the connection to schizophrenia is in reverse. OK, one of the symptoms of schizophrenia can be delusions and hallucinations.
So.... we normally dream only in the REM state in between deep sleep and waking state. Our dreams generally include some aspects of the previous days, although often in a mangled format.

What if, schizophrenia is actually a disorder of the dreaming process. What if when someone with schizophrenia hallucinates, what is actually happening is that their brain is partly firing up the dreaming state, and the resulting "dream" is getting overlaid on all the other conscious thought processes and stimuli inputs. Who is to say that precisely because the dreaming function has been damaged or corrupted somehow, that when malfunctioning it can't present just a few snippets of images, sounds or thoughts, rather than the usual rich tapestry of a full on dream.

As the person believed themselves to be fully awake at that time, they're not going to even consider that the extra bits are only a partial dream sequence, they're going to assume it is real life sensory input; i.e someone really is talking to them, or someone is there waving a plucked chicken in the air.

Who hasn't nodded partly off, and on wakening again seconds later, imagined something?

To support my wild theory ( 2362nd of 5493 limited edition wacky ideas ) I also thought about the suspected links between schizophrenia and drug taking, and head injuries. Docs don't know what definitively cause schizophrenia, but there does seem to be a higher prevalence in groups of people who have had serious head injuries in childhood, or repeated lesser injuries (such as being regularly punched in the head by care-givers) or in groups who have taken "mind altering substances such as LSD which itself produces dream like states and hallucinations.

I dunno but then neither does the establishment. They still don't fully understand mental health, let alone dreams, intelligence, behavioral problems etc etc

acrosstheplains
Msg: 521 (view)

How to find out penis size
Posted: 8/23/2018 2:35:06 PM

and men can ask vagina tightness, circumference of the opening and volume of space inside.

there are various tools available including inside micrometers, depth gauges etc. Oh and seeing as you might be down there a while anyway, giving a loud shout and timing the echo is a handy trick
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 358 (view)

trough feeding
Posted: 8/23/2018 2:09:17 PM

The best diets are balanced ones which don't exclude foods

I tried a few diets that do exclude food, but became wafer thin after a while despite using the highest quality chalk, hats, shirts, words....
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 92 (view)

My embarressing oral question
Posted: 8/23/2018 1:38:16 PM

I love to give oral to a woman.If you want,play with your clit.I know some women that do that,as well.

I think he refers to extremely supple and flexible yoga types and dancers or gymnasts.
really, not all men who enjoy giving oral, expect or want oral in return. Maybe some honest communication is required....
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1020 (view)

Posted: 8/23/2018 1:34:04 PM

Poor black people? Whose fault is it that they're poor? They're not powerless. They can work, attend college and vote for who they want to. They're free to achieve whatever they want in life

I really did laugh out loud reading your post, Newyorker.
jeeze, do you really believe the BS you just wrote, or are you a racist?
or just agitating for a debate?
If a government supported by enough of the population actively denigrate, abuse, incarcerate, discriminate against and take any opportunity whether overtly or covertly.
Just how are you supposed to achieve your potential when you're born into poverty, your parents have to apply for help to feed and house you, and the schools system places you in underfunded state schools that teach you nothing, all the time when being fed images and fairy stories that becoming a popstar or football or baseball player will lead to riches.
The system is stacked against those who aren't born into wealth, aren't born to educated familys and ain't on the right side of town.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 87 (view)

Sex parties in clubs???
Posted: 8/22/2018 1:38:51 PM
it really really spoils the pleasure when using any sort of dental dam (cling film, cut condom, the wrapping the doll came in..........)
So much so I just won't if one was needed. Might as well chew on a cold British Rail bacon roll while it's still in it's wrapper. (which was notoriously difficult to remove without a very sharp implement anyway)
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1008 (view)

Posted: 8/22/2018 1:25:31 PM
My father had several older brothers who fought in WW2. One of them, plus a brother in law, became prisoners of war of the German's. Unlike the barbaric, sick, perverted and sadistic behavior of some of the Japanese guards, the majority of German guards were decent beings, probably glad to be away from the front line, and not having any strong desire to brutalize their prisoners. Also maybe it was a little bit of nepotism as we English do have a lot of German ancestry ( and French, and Roman and Viking and......)

Admittedly the guards of the concentration camps were a whole different breed of sewer rat. The moment that the world forgets that crime against humanity, is the moment that world civilization falls a thousand years back again. I hope future generations are taught and reminded of it, and how easy it is to happen when people derogate their social duties and their responsibility to think for themselves. Trump is one of several politicians seeking to dumb the populace down so whatever self serving policy can be accepted and implemented.

The Germans were particularly ruthless on the eastern front, hundreds of thousands of eastern European women were raped as the Germans pushed East and then when too over-stretched had to run back west. It was an extension of the white supremacist attitude where Russians were labelled as lower grade humans.

Hitler was a knobhead. Lets face it, his own generals tried to assassinate him at least twice because of his delusions of grandeur and fecking up the running of the campaigns. Though doubtless that was in part due to the cunning counter intelligence game played by the Allies making Hitler imagine threats where there was none, and disregarding the real threats.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1002 (view)

Posted: 8/21/2018 3:34:57 PM
oh and historically, the whole point of the flag was for effective organization in a battle. Before the telephone let alone GPS technology, it was important for commanders to know where they all were. And it came in handy to gauge where and what the enemy was up to, by where it's standard bearers were. Standard bearers gave their life to keep the flags aloft and safe from enemy hands because if the flags were lost, then the ranks could become disorganized and disoriented giving the enemy chance to rout them and win the day.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1001 (view)

Posted: 8/21/2018 3:25:18 PM
ah yes. "that" picture is one of several pictures that we photographers refer to when discussing the art of photo manipulation before photoshop. It is believed by many respected and published photographers, including war photographers, that the famous picture was in fact totally staged after the battle. It's an iconic image true. But one made precisely because of it's value as propaganda and promotion.

Think about it. Why would sane people volunteer for death and disabling injury? It certainly isn't for the salary. Or the respect and gratitude shown by grateful governments after a conflict. One of the most effective ways to recruit is to appeal to a sense of loyalty and duty to your community. Hence in WW1 that Britain entered into in 1914..... there were whole squads and divisions formed by men from the same locale or the same factory etc.

In 1939 when Britain entered the second world war, the previous recruitment methods weren't as effective as the great depression earlier had ripped communities apart so there was much less social cohesion. But the government had a trick up their sleeve. Denigrate and besmirch the other side. Hence all the stories about the crimes of the German army etc, to stir up a sense of anger and outrage, and a desire to protect one's loved ones from imminent attack, rape and pillage.

And so to the present day. What do governments do to recruit young fresh blood? Make the job appear respected and revered even. Imagine, you can join an organization that gains you free instant unquestionable respect at sporting events where the other stars are multimillionaires. Must be attractive to some youngsters that have only experienced abuse and vitriol for the color of their skin.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 184 (view)

why do do many people underestimate their body type
Posted: 8/21/2018 2:51:21 PM
I've been thin to athletic most of my life but over the last year got bored with the type of women I was attracting. So after stuffing my face with chocolate, chips and celery, I'm now officially A Few Extra Pounds.
I still don't attract the type of women I seek.... Maybe Botox and filler is next
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 37 (view)

Triggers in profile photos
Posted: 8/21/2018 2:44:43 PM
I'd say that the animal etc filters are used now by 50% of women, I can't say about men.... Maybe it's a confidence thing. Bit like wearing a baseball cap or dark shades. Or no pic at all.......
Oh and women use the bed shot, also the halfway up the stairs shot.... And the leaning forward showing cleavage shot. But those women clearly state in their profiles: looking to marry, don't do one nights, not here to swap dirty pictures or cam sox
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 26 (view)

Me too
Posted: 8/21/2018 2:27:16 PM
I didn't go to the police as a 14 year old because the circumstances were so utterly bizarre I felt they wouldn't believe me. If I felt defenseless and powerless as a growing young man, I can't imagine how women feel under similar or much serious circumstances.

When I became a uni student, despite being on a 99% male attendee course, I met several female students. Being a quiet respectful type, I guess I seemed safe to open up to. I was dating one woman who lived in a house with 5 other women. I became trusted enough to stay present when they had in depth discussions about 'women's stuff' It was sometimes as if they'd forgotten a man was in the room.

Bear in mind this was the 80s when the established attitude was that if a woman walked alone in the dark through a park, or if she wore sexy or revealing clothing, or if she had had multiple partners before; then she was fair game for anyone. One morning, I remember one of the women revealed she had a rape fantasy. This prompted two others to reveal their personal horror stories. I didn't dare speak at all but listened as my girlfriend held my hand as if to say, don't go.

So Bunny, I say to you and all the others who make blithe statements about reporting things to the police. Until you personally have experienced serious trauma like that, you have no idea how you will react. Many people freeze, and then after in a state of shock, they can't believe it happened. Then they think nobody else will believe it happened.
You feel sick to the core of yourself. Disgusted because you think that somehow, you asked for it, you deserved it.

Except you didn't, and you don't.

So the minutes turn into hours, then the hours turn into days, without you doing anything.
Then you think it's simply too late.

So the Me Too movement is the best thing that has happened to help victims in a bloody long time. It is helping to empower people held silent for days, weeks, years. It helps them realize that it was never their fault, that it was a shitty thing that happened to them and has happened to many other people all equally underserving of it.

It helps heal.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 86 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 8/20/2018 3:48:12 PM
anyways, thinking back to what tena said about his "problem" and how he found this out,

there has been a clear breach of protocol by his colleagues, or himself if it was his experiment that led to his finding about his zero gamete activity. Precisely because of the potential emotional turmoil caused by unexpected findings, you should never be a test subject in your own experiment, and if in someone else experiment then the university board of ethics is obliged to make sure that a procedure is in place to ensure revelations aren't going to cause major ruptions. It sounded like tena volunteered his sample in contravention of all established practices.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 992 (view)

Posted: 8/20/2018 3:12:21 PM
we all agree that the majority of us have to work for a living; pay the bills, feed the kids, keep a roof over our heads, pay the medical insurance etc. And unless you're a grade A imbecile, we all know that jobs don't grow on trees. Sometimes you have take what is on offer. Kinda strange but the last 7 times I walked into an interview and held a gun against the manager's head, I still didnae get the job.....
THEREFORE seeing as we all still have some basic rights, why the eck should we show agreement with policies of our employers? Why can't we do our jobs conscientiously and thats it. No drinking with the buddies after work, and no saluting a flag that the leaders of the country have abused and debased by their anti American/British/Spanish* policies of self pocket lining at the tax payers expense.
Just how far should a worker have to kowtow to their boss?
I get annoyed by people who choose to add on things to a symbol, just to big themselves up and diminish others who hold different opinions. Seriously folks. If the military are represented by the flag, then so are the trashmen, the cleaners, the nurses, the teachers, the checkout operators, the mail guys. Because they all make the country what it is, keep it running, improve it, nurture it, repair it.

* delete as appropriate....
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 8/20/2018 2:48:23 PM
Trouble is Roxy, we sensitive bairns are outnumbered by the sound sleepers. Which is precisely why my thread is almost pointless. Though it's possible more people are affected by noise than they themselves realise. Not enough peeps care about the minority who are "different" Though when something happens to them and they too become "different" then it's a major disaster. And the thing is there's so many things that can happen to folk. Diabetes is on the rise and if badly managed, that can lead to nerve problems and hence amputations due to not feeling a growing sore until it's become dangerously infected. A whole generation is at risk of deafness due to listening on earphones at wail too high a level. Believe me, tinnitus, which is often the first sign, isn't a laughing matter.
As a society we're too intolerant, as evidenced by sexism, racism, homophobia, disablism, and a whole range of other intolerances. Half the row about brexit stems from intolerance of johnny foreigner, it's more than the cry of "they're taking our jobs" ( have you done veg picking? - it's backbreaking miserable work )
You can get alarm clocks with lights that glow brighter over a few minutes. Seems a logical way to get the best of both worlds. We naturally went to sleep not long after night fall because we didn't have maglites 4000 years ago. Now we have street lights and neighbours' security lights shining through our bedroom windows.
Disturbed sleep patterns are linked to depression precisely because of the light aspect. Our pituitary gland is regulated in part by the light received by the retina. So our hormones go out of kilter if we're exposed to light at the wrong times.
I did think up a spiffing explanation for dreams once, but went and forgot by morning. very annoying. I had linked Schizophrenia to sleep disorders. I must try and remember what rot I had thunked up.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 20 (view)

420 Friendly Females are like unicorns...
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:33:53 PM
I've stumbled across women with profiles clearly stating they're 420 friendly, without even trying. I'm not a particular fan myself, whether it's a institutional myth or not, I worry about the health effects
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 8/19/2018 3:53:18 PM
Yet again I find myself serving 5 days "at my employers pleasure" in yet another hotel room that has rice paper for windows and air bricks for party walls.
It is proven that inadequate sleep does cause poor health, it's not just a nonsensical claim of the most idle. So, why is it that the majority of dwellings have inadequate sound proofing?
Here's a scenario. Person denied sleep last night has to go to work today. Driving their 32Tonne truck they have a momentary loss of concentration which results in them ploughing into a BMW driven by a house builder. The car driver is seriously injured and dies 2 days later...
Police reckon that at least 10% of all accidents are caused by or significantly attributable to tiredness.
In fact after several high profile crashes over the last 15 years, the police have become more willing to investigate a driver's alertness, and prosecute if there is evidence of tiredness as a factor.
So, under the health and safety act, should anyone erecting a dwelling take all reasonable steps to ensure that all sleeping areas have adequate sound proofing from all other areas? Tiredness is implicated in various conditions including heart disease, diabetes, depression and other mental health issues and even cancers.
Contrary to the usual suspects of lack of exercise, high fat diets, high carb diets, bad genes, poverty, hormones or thyroid problems, it is believed by an increasing amount of experts that obesity can result from tiredness. The logic is simple: you feel tired, you eat something to pick you up. You're not actually hungry, or in need of food, so the extra food you eat goes to fat in your body because as you're tired you're hardly likely to run it off. You later feel even more tired because the energy boost wears off, so you eat more. And so on, until you put weight on, feel tired more of the time, do less exercise, and start to develop pre-diabetes.
Tiredness is also bad for the economy as tired people can't work as hard, they make more mistakes at work, and end up taking more time off sick. They also aren't as creative in work, so fewer great ideas originate.
Tiredness is also obviously bad for the economy if people have more accidents, have you never dropped something, or slipped or banged against something while tired? How many hospital admissions are attributable to tiredness rather than alcohol? It would be ironic if new research revealed that there was more accidents etc caused by tiredness than by drunkenness.
So does it in the end analysis make good business sense to skimp on adequate sound insulation when building sleeping accommodations? From a builders point of view, it is considerably more difficult to improve the sound insulation of an existing building than it is to design it in, in the first instance.
I know some people will say without a moments reflection that you have a choice to stay there or not, but should hoteliers be allowed to even have hotel rooms that don't meet satisfactory standards. Should house builders be allowed to build houses that don't meet standards - i.e shouldn't building inspectors actually verify that a new house does have adequate sound insulation.
vvvvvvv
one hotel I was put up in had amongst other delights, squeaky floorboards. I used to creep around, and mark the quieter zones.
Waste of time though as in the adjacent room was a couple, coupling. Oddly enough, I swear I recognized the same woman's voice in the same room, another night, but with a different man's voice.....
I wouldn't have minded but they were at it until gone 2am
vvvvvv ... vvvvvvv
Ah yes, the curse of the hotel curtains. Lightweight efforts that don't even overlap in the middle, and/or aren't wide enough for the window so one or other side isn't entirely covered.
Trust me (because I'm a whingey old git) I could go on for ever about hotels. Did I mention the fire alarms that go off at 3.07am or how about the sudden swarm of mature flies that appear from nowhere. Cold hot water, and warm foul smelling cold water anyone?
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 578 (view)

Brexit all the way to the door.. but no further?
Posted: 8/19/2018 2:55:54 PM
I voted remain for several reasons. Selfish ones and logical ones I reckon.
I want to be able to visit, stay and if practical, work without restrictions in any EU country.
I want to continue to enjoy the benefit of protection that EU membership offers, from excesses by my own government. As a maggie's child, I won't forget the hardships millions endured because of tory policy. I know things are getting bad again. But there are slightly more jobs around this time than in 1984.
I really did believe at the time that our governments' rush to accept EU law, and an expansion of the EU, was a trick by the large employers to destabilize workers rights in the UK. It's basic economics to increase supply of something to reduce it's value. And if you have almost limitless supplies of exploitable labour, then of course you can reduce wages and standards. maggie attacked the NUM precisely because she wanted to weaken the hard won protections that made coal mining an OK job after centuries of being underpaid dangerous work.
I think that it's the system, the internal workings of the EU that needs fixing, not quitting our membership of it. Instead of it being attractive to come to the UK because our benefit system is better than most eastern european, the EU should have forced those countries to make their systems better.
I did joke once that all immigrants should have to bring a 100 square metres of land with them to come to Britain seeing as we have such a small land mass compared to say France. But I was being tongue in cheek. I do firmly believe that all people have a right to work, a right to shelter, a right to food, a right to health care, and to education.
How can we as a nation go around having little wars with other countries because they have treated their citizens badly, if we don't hold ourselves to the highest standards of civilised behavior.
Anyway we didn't change the EU because we lacked the politicians that have the chutzpah and fire to fight for change at Brussels. So what do we do, turn and run away.
I really do think the cost of leaving the EU will be far greater than anyone predicts. But then because of the meltdown of the global economy anyway, it will be difficult to apportion blame fairly. Maybe it will ne easier for the UK to recover from the coming storm being out of the EU as we're seen as a cash cow by many countries, based on the faulty economics of membership fees based on income rather than spending cash.
I don't see the european court as been to blame. It applied the law as it stands. The torys have been eroding both workers rights and the ability of the law to protect workers, for decades. 1974 was disastrous for the torys. All a sudden there was clear legislation to protect workers health, rights. Also sex equality in law, and 1976 for race (I know it's still not perfect, but things have moved on so much in 40 years )
The UK courts would have ruled eventually in favour of the employers if there wasn't a higher court. They just didn't want to be seen as siding with the employer, so conveniently passed it up.
In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 4 (view)

What was it about the last girl you fell for?
Posted: 8/19/2018 2:47:55 PM
tall
beautiful eyes
happy
confident
outspoken (takes no shit from anyone - including me)
sexy
oh and beautiful
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 3 (view)

Is she fake
Posted: 8/19/2018 2:37:50 PM
don't worry, Captain Obvious here will nip back to London, meet her, shag her and then let you know if she's the real deal or not
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 84 (view)

Sex parties in clubs???
Posted: 8/19/2018 2:25:24 PM
Hi wee
? really ?
sounds a little like a different type of party to me.....
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 90 (view)

Do people Not have Morals anymore?@carribeanking7
Posted: 8/19/2018 2:14:42 PM

... Simply, an American. If you can't accept that and learn to speak the language, which is English and fly the flag and have one grain of faithfulness and loyalty and patriotism, then why the heck would someone want to live here? Sorry, I know this is a little off ...

I won't comment on the rest of the post.
But, it's not "English" you yanks speak, it's american english. There's no zees in English. It's an "s" It's Al-li-min-ium, not a-lum-nium
P.S bucsgirl and any others.... You said

I also shake my head at the people who want to become a citizen or live here and yet try to either attack the culture or insist on bringing their own culture with them.

Isn't that exactly what you did a few hundred years ago. Invade, impose your own belief systems and morals on the indigenous population, and attack their culture. Oh and spread diseases, introduce drugs, eradicate out of spite an entire species, bring weapons of mass destruction, and pollute the land, air and water with toxic chemicals.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 401 (view)

Women making the first move...
Posted: 8/19/2018 2:00:15 PM
I can think of multiple reasons why homeless people seldom date outside of their community. It's a grave pity that so many so called developed countries have such huge amounts of homelessness, caused by multiple reasons including vets with PTSD losing their home, family and livelihood because of unresolved issues that the armed services should make damn sure were sorted before the person was cut loose. Other reasons for homelessness include greedy banks foreclosing when they could have made alternative payment plans. People being evicted so landlords can redevelop. Relationship breakdowns resulting in the innocent party losing everything. The list goes on.
But anyway.
Leagues. There are indeed some of us who place higher value in personality than looks. Higher worth in generosity of spirit than big fat bank balance. Not all attractive people are ***holes, and not all unattractive people are saints. But because of the education system that most of us are raised under, we 'learn' that to get what you want, you have to be better than the others. No prize for second place. "no body loves a loser" and all that crap designed to divide and conquer us, while the real villains sneak off stage left with the lion share of everything
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 573 (view)

Posted: 8/19/2018 1:48:51 PM
I don't follow crap from the dailymail. It is a shining example of rewriting facts to suit an agenda.
I read the BBC article, though as the days and years creep by, I become increasingly disillusioned even with the beeb. Their article is basically a viewpoint of vague and woolly proportions IMHO. There's no hard facts, just third hand stuff and some added gluten. It's paragraph about WTO is wishwashy third grader essay nonsense.
I strongly suspect that the real truth behind all this scaremongering business started with the awful realization that without the EU borderless model, there will need to be customs and immigration officers employed at all the ports. But of course a certain government made 1000s of officers redundant a few years ago which led to massive increase in queues and smuggling.
Thats where the fear about trade springs from, all lorrys from the EU will have to be searched for contraband etc, and the usual customs business done. Which would cause lengthy delays, which then might cause continental exporters to stop exporting to the UK because of the faffing around. But in truth all that happens is that poor lorry drivers have extended unpaid breaks at the borders.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 571 (view)

Posted: 8/19/2018 1:15:08 PM
I'm unaware of any real difficulty in buying stuff from abroad just because of brexit. We spend billions abroad and it wouldn't make sense for a foreign business to say it's not selling it's products to Britain because it's outside the EU now. Its hardly likely any tobacco company, any arms company and any food company wouldn't be turning down the opportunity to make profit. So in what regulatory system does a European country get classed as a unsuitable country for medicinal supplies? If we had the reputation of North Korea, I could understand it. If we're gonna be blacklisted for medicine, then surely tech will follow: no more iphones and samsungs, no smart TVs, no lenovo PCs (how else will the ruskies now spy on us directly? )
I really think all of this is just hype by certain pro euro parties which is annoying as I am actually pro euro myself, but don't want either side to resort to dirty tricks, lies or smears to win their argument.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 160 (view)

All about the forum narcissist
Posted: 8/18/2018 12:55:42 PM
used for making anal sex less painful?
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 34 (view)

There is order stiff happening out there
Posted: 8/17/2018 2:31:06 PM
Aldi do a nice tin, pack of 4 for 89p
P.S where the feck has my original post gone?
Bleedin editors
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 39 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 8/17/2018 2:00:11 PM
really ^^^^^^^^ try it
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 32 (view)

There is order stiff happening out there
Posted: 8/17/2018 1:57:10 PM
Yes, Kirk; the Whiteley one. I think Tesco may suffer a little, simply because going to Lidl will mean less mixing it with the other shoppers in the village as well as the commuters from the business park. Getting back onto the main R1 roundabout might be fun from that direction, but there are lights planned. People will still go to M&S regardless. I get my fruit and veg there. More expensive, better quality. Always go for the offers. Especially around discounting time. I once got a week's worth of sandwiches for less than a pound.

I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to anywhere in Whiteley and I do my food shopping on a little and often basis. I'm not too troubled by the traffic as a result and tend to be able to choose my driving times to be off peak, even if it means hanging around in the evenings on some days.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 37 (view)

Change of lint
Posted: 8/17/2018 1:45:36 PM
Regrettably the single most effective way is to totally ignore the miscreant. Talking sense, appealing to a better nature, bargaining, reasoning, browbeating or shouting out, never works. Even making indirect references will provide sustenance.
So remember don't even say in a month's time, something like "Isn't it so much more pleasant here"
Zero reaction. No positive reaction, no negative reaction. Or as the professionals say, the grey rock technique. Because the attention of miscreants is taken by the black or the white rocks, the grey rocks have no interest.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 135 (view)

Do nice guys finish last?
Posted: 8/16/2018 1:29:52 PM

I personally prefer women with low self esteem. Those are usually the women I can take advantage of. Women with high self esteem I try to find ways to lower it. If I can't then I just move on to the next one.

he was joking wasn't he? surely HE WAS joking. What sort of dumb jock comes on the boards and admits to been a total shithead?
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 3 (view)

Amazing experience, but be careful
Posted: 8/16/2018 7:49:38 AM

I have nothing further to say my lord
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 40 (view)

Dude.. you're shooting empies.
Posted: 8/16/2018 6:07:13 AM
Karma, yeah. Or an example of how you fail to understand. Fail to ask the right questions. Fail to look for alternatives. Fail to see anything beyond your own spotty nose. Fail to see or feel anyone else's emotions or needs.
Are you really more bothered about firing blanks than just talking about it to garner sympathy (and maybe attract a woman who thinks I can shag all I like but I won't get pregnant.... until the inevitable does happen, to which someone with your personality disorder would then say to the distraught woman "not my fault, not my problem I'm out of here"
Of course we don't know you would, but we're judging you by your behavior online. And that stinks.
By the way, thank you.
Yes thanks, for a masterclass in spotting the lesser known Covert Narcissist. A breed of sad person that everyone else should be protected from. Study the problem and start the very long road to recovery, you don't want to get to your 60s still with full blown NPD because it's a sad old life when you've burnt all your chances for happiness.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 9 (view)

Triggers in profile photos
Posted: 8/16/2018 5:57:01 AM
no pictures at all because he's a secret agent

nah, it's the thumbnail brigade that annoys. They use (probably from another website.................) a thumbnail image.
They use an image of someone clearly 25 years older than the stated age.
They use a cartoon or meme, but still want to see your picture.....
Me? well because I worked it all out ages ago, I don't need to see a picture, I decide if I want to meet based on what a woman has written. So if she writes "ask me" or "zxcyzvzcbefersdf dsahfuiydgfbbdud" I usually pass, even if the photo was great.
In the fullness of time, you're going to spend more time conversing with a partner than looking at them. And looks change. Oh and personalities if they stink, well not a lot you can do about it, easier to get a facelift than a personality lift.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 16 (view)

Shedding the nice guy.
Posted: 8/16/2018 5:47:06 AM
those instances where you meet someone, do something, and the memory live on forever,
well they only happen a few times in a lifetime. Part of the reason why they live on is because you don't actually hookup with that person, so you never find out the whole truth, you just go around with this idealized image of them, and the amazing relationship that you could have had.
The other instances when you do hookup with someone after a chance meeting, they go pearshaped because you then find out that they're not perfect. They're human with all the usual frailties and irksome tics that make us individuals.
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 70 (view)

Insanity online..
Posted: 8/15/2018 1:47:56 PM

who me?

no you

what him?

no him

who

you
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 19 (view)

How to write your first message
Posted: 8/14/2018 2:09:23 PM
unfortunately many people do look at the primary profile pic and delete unread shortly after.
But you might get a longer lasting relationship from a positive response to a decent first message than a kneejerk reaction to a good profile pic
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 6 (view)

Is Attending University Necessary?
Posted: 8/14/2018 2:01:55 PM
25 years ago it was normal to buy between 6 and 20 books a year at £100 to £400 for each year at university.
Anyone with a particular interest or hobby would get books about it, whether Astronomy, Photography or Railways. The explosion in web I think has dramatically reduced demand for books. The younger generation hardly read a book even at school. I did a short college course a couple of years ago and was amazed by the younger students willingness to use internet sources to reference their essays and assignments. I was able do to almost all my assignments using books I had on the subject and a few from the library. But you can't do that now as public libraries are closing or drastically reducing opening hours, and fewer people now have their own collections of books.

Show ALL Forums