Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Anyone else been online dating 2+ years?
 rurlgirl
Msg: 43 (view)

Anyone else been online dating 2+ years?
Posted: 4/8/2015 6:33:21 PM
Nine years for me, with breaks here and there when I was in a relationship. Went a solid five years with no more than the odd first meet, but I am currently engaged to a man I met on POF! I never had any bad dates from any online site, but I had given up hope of ever meeting The One. I consider myself exceedingly fortunate to have met this guy here. It was worth the wait.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 67 (view)

Accents
Posted: 1/2/2014 6:21:37 PM
For me it depends on the accent. I have had people ask me about my accent a lot (prairie Canadian, from a French community, but work with Mennonites) and it seems to be pretty unique. There are some that grate on my nerves or I have trouble understanding, and I wouldn't date someone if I found it tough to communicate. Surprisingly, I find myself dating an Iranian who has only been in Canada four years and his accent is quite pleasant to my ear. Not only that, but his English is really good and we share a similar sense of humour. Before we met I would have bet against meeting someone like him. Like many have said, humour and communication are really important in a relationship. It's tough enough when you both speak the same language.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 29 (view)

lazer eye surgery
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:44:00 PM
I had it done in 2008. I never really minded wearing glasses, but had applied for the police force and my eyesight was just not quite good enough so I decided to go for it. It was pretty unpleasant and I didn't feel they adequately warned me about the pain I would feel. "You may feel some pressure" is what they told me but it felt like they were trying to pop my eyeball by squeezing it. The second eye was even more unpleasant. In addition, I waited all freaking day in their offices for the surgery. It was successful, though, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I could immediately see much better and have had 20/20 vision since. It was worth it, especially since I can now do a lot of physical stuff and not worry about glasses - especially stuff like swimming.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 4 (view)

bug bag
Posted: 11/10/2012 9:53:58 AM
Not exactly, but I live in a relatively remote area and my car always has lots of gas and warm clothes/survival pack. My home is actually a rally point in case of the zomie apocalypse :).

I know a bit about survival and used to do some backwoods stuff when I was younger but have grown accustomed to my comfortable life. I think I could manage for a while on my own in the wild but hope I never have to. Around here all the water is safe to drink and there is lots of game and wood for fires. My family also has a very remote cottage where I would go if I had to go somewhere completely away from it all.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 19 (view)

Road Kill
Posted: 11/9/2012 6:16:02 PM
What about bleeding it though? You guys do realize that any animal we usually eat has been deliberately bled right at death, while the heart is still beating, so that the meat is not full of coagulated blood, right? If I hit it myself I might be tempted, though usually the trauma would wreck a substantial portion of the meat.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 7 (view)

Do you think Mechanics charge women more money?
Posted: 10/6/2012 7:26:14 PM
I think some mechanics cheat anyone they possibly can, and some are trustworthy. Most of my mistakes have been when buying tires. I drive over 50K/year on a lot of gravel and I was cheated time and again on tires that didn't last at tire shops and at big department stores. Now I buy them from my trusted mechanic.

I know a little about cars and used to do all my own oil changes when I couldn't afford to get it done with synthetic at the garage. I'm lucky that my bro is a mechanic and he can advise me if things get really bad, but I hate to bother him. I had someone I trust who does know a lot about fixing and maintaining vehicles recommend the shop I've been using for the past 15 years and I do trust them. They have made some mistakes, but they always make it right and they show me the parts so I can see what they're going to do. My last car had 475K when I finally sent it to the scrapyard and my current one is just shy of 400K. I hope to get another few years out of it and for that a mechanic that I trust is critical. We can decide together what is truly necessary and not throw money away on minor things.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 21 (view)

They take pignapping very serious here in Texas!
Posted: 10/5/2012 5:02:10 PM
I'm thinking the reason pigs were in the NON petting part of the petting zoo is due to some fairly serious potential health hazards, as humans and pigs share a lot of nasty diseases, including the more virulent strains of flu. There are extremely strict biosecurity protocols to follow if you want to visit a pig farm, so it's no suprise their owners don't want them being handled by people who are doubtless carrying some germs. Those pigs have to return home after the fair, and pigs are raised in a very clean environment nowadays. The only disease protection they have comes from vaccination. In addition, the mamas can be quite possessive, and I think it's not particularly kind to stress out a new mother when she has already been moved and ogled by strangers simply for entertainment purposes.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 74 (view)

Dealing with Neighbours
Posted: 9/30/2012 7:08:18 PM
Huh. Owning a home is certainly no guarantee you won't be disturbed. I live in the middle of 80 acres in a very rural area and am currently dealing with a "tactical training centre" right next door. Some corporation owns the land, and even though our municipal council ordered them to cease and desist their activity and move their equipment, remove illegal fences, etc., they were out there shooting up a storm again today with paintball guns. This is better than their usual real firearms, as those are much more noisy and dangerous, but the noise is still pretty irritating.

I've complained to the local coucillor, the Chief Administrative Officer, and the RCMP at intervals and it doesn't appear anyone is actually going to try to catch them in the act and stop them. Not really sure what my next move is. Part of the problem is the RCMP detachment that serves us is an hour away. Even if one were being murdered there would be little hope of rescue.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 22 (view)

Smoking & being athletic
Posted: 9/8/2012 9:15:14 PM
One of the most athletic women I've ever known is a longtime smoker, and at 39 she looks it. But, man, this woman is seriously amazing. She can crank out pushups, pullups, run a sub-7 minute mile, deadlift over twice her bodyweight, and other great feats I can only dream of. You would never know she smokes from her physical performance.

As for me, I never noticed any difference in my performance after quitting. I smoked a pack a day for 16 years and never felt the effects anywhere but my wallet. After I quit I gained a lot of weight and I would say that slowed me down more than smoking ever did.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 44 (view)

How did you learn to cook?
Posted: 9/8/2012 4:03:49 PM
I mostly learned by watching and helping my mom and grandma, but I really started to learn more when I suddenly got a job that involved being the only cook on shift in a small rural restaurant. Surprisingly, I did quite well, with no real disasters, though I was far from qualified at 17. Before that I had put together only a handful of meals, and I suddenly found myself making steak, veal cutlets and omelettes all at once. Very educational. Now I am a great cook, and I make all my food from scratch with the best ingredients I can find. It's very time consuming but also very rewarding. Some day I'd like to be able to share that with somebody
 rurlgirl
Msg: 6 (view)

good paleo diet recipes??
Posted: 9/8/2012 3:47:32 PM
I typically look at recipe sites and blogs and then somewhat modify the recipes for my own tastes. I don't feel like writing a whole bunch of recipes, but Google is your friend and nomnompaleo is one of my personal faves. You can basically Google any recipe with Paleo in front and find something compliant, though whether it is within the spirit of the diet may be questionable. Anything sweet is pretty much only for an occasionaly treat. If you had a more specific inquiry I would gladly give you a recipe. I have been mostly Paleo for over two years and it really is no hardship.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 2 (view)

pullup
Posted: 8/24/2012 1:17:20 PM
Yes, it is true that many (most) people cannot do one, me included (but working on it.) I can remember trying them, even back in elementary school, and I don't think any of the girls in my class could do them. Fast forward 30 years and I still don't have one, even though I am in the best shape I've ever been in. Since I do CrossFit I really, really want to achieve this so I do lots of different pulling exercises like ring rows, assisted pullups and shoulder assistance exercises to help me get there. Of course lower bodyweight would also help so I watch my nutrition pretty carefully too. One day I'll get there. I honestly haven't seen anyone other than a few men at the regular gym (and I mean maybe 3 out of all the clientele) and Crossfitters do them.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 41 (view)

Anyone Recently Lost A Significant Amount of Weight?
Posted: 8/10/2012 4:38:18 PM
To those who are asking about CrossFit, it is a strength and conditioning program based on the principle of developing general physical preparedness. This means it works strength, conditioning, speed, endurance, balance, agility, etc. The workouts are tough but scaleable for absolutely anyone who is willing to work hard.

I can't say enough nice things about the program and the community. It has totally transformed my life. I can do things I never dreamed I would do and have gained confidence along with a much improved look. I can't say I've lost a lot of weight, but I look completely different. And I'm still a long way from being able to do "Nasty Girls."

If you are willing to try it out, there are generally free intro classes offered in most communities to give you a little taste of what it's about. CrossFit gyms are called affiliates. There's a whole trademark thing and classes are expensive, but I've never spent my money and time better. The coaches are what make the program work. Of course there is a diet component that is recommended as well and it's typically Paleo. You can easily lose weight just by cutting all processed foods, but you'll gain strength, confidence and attitude if you add CrossFit.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 40 (view)

not a cellphone a deal breaker?
Posted: 6/14/2012 6:35:51 PM
I haven't had a cell phone since 2001, and I won't be getting one unless my work makes it absolutely necessary. Yeah, I guess I'm old. I looove not being reachable 24/7. I have a landline and e-mail. No television service. And I don't give out my number until I've met someone and decided I want to see them again. No interest in IM or s/texting.

I was struck by how everyone is so used to being able to reach others instantly when I returned from a short trip to find the police looking for me. My house alarm malfunctioned and nobody could find me (oops, told somebody where I was going but not everybody) and my brother (who calls maybe once every six months) called the cops to report me missing. Yeah, I messed up in not telling the right people where I was, but I don't think there would have been that same panic ten years ago, when sometimes you couldn't reach people for a few days.
 rurlgirl

So, I'm jumping on the band wagon.
Posted: 5/21/2012 2:29:23 PM
I would say you're already a step ahead of all the grain and dairy hoovering masses. Rather than trying to replace what you can't tolerate with other stuff that's equally bad, eat meat and vegetables, healthy fats (NOT trans fats and industrial oils) some fruit, nuts and and seeds. This is called a Paleo diet. You will feel great. No processed foods, no added sugar. It really isn't that difficult. If you simply substitute gluten and dairy free stuff made from all kinds of processed food you are no further ahead.

As for stuff that's easy and nutritious, this requires some work and planning. Soup is fantastic. Make a bone broth, add some meat and vegetables, and you're set. I make a huge pot once a week and eat it for 1-2 meals per day. There are lots of recipes on the web, and lots of sites that give all kinds of recipes that you can easily make and then put into individual containers. Just do a Google search for Paleo recipes.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 20 (view)

is using smaller clothes a good way to help reach goals in weight loss
Posted: 5/11/2012 7:36:13 PM
To me that makes absolutely no sense. How do you know those jeans will look good on you even if you lose a bunch of weight? I don't often buy new clothes, but when I do I make sure they look fan-freaking-tastic on my body. That's part of what keeps me active and eating well. The more important motivator is how it makes me feel.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 25 (view)

Canada's Charter of Rights
Posted: 4/22/2012 4:46:45 PM
Yep, I have to agree with mungojoe. If there is legislation, it comes about from our political system, so you can't separate the two. I also agree with him about the momentum building towards acceptance of what the Charter sets out for all Canadians, though I'm not (quite) old enough to remember that.

I'm grateful for the Charter and for living in such a great country. It ain't perfect but I have yet to find a better one to call home.
 rurlgirl

What is that on your wall?
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:07:13 PM
I guess if you like it and you or your loyal subjects can afford it, why not? Everything is subjective, especially with art. I would never pay huge dollars for even the greatest piece, but then that's just me.

My tastes are pretty eclectic. I have a few acrylics done by my grandma that aren't hideous, a couple of good watercolour prints, a few interesting cross stitch items that I've done and framed over the years, a few photographs of special people, and my favourite piece is a huge Babe-A Little Pig Goes a Long Way movie poster that I was given and framed myself. It hangs behind my dining room table. I've never had much money to indulge my tastes, and I'm still hunting for a few pieces to finish things off. Like I said, eclectic, but I think it suits my home and I like it so I see no reason to change. Nobody else would be likely to see much worth in any of it and that's fine with me.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 28 (view)

Paleo diet
Posted: 2/2/2012 6:29:04 PM
@Part Deux:
While we know that Paleolithic man had a short life span, we also know he was in great shape. I would argue that the proof of a grain-based diet is in the pudding-North Americans are getting fatter and sicker every year.

OP:
All you can do is give it a try. A lot of people add back in some dairy or the odd serving of non-Paleo food after the initial trial and see how they feel. Everyone's different. I can tell you I feel amazing on a Paleo + some dairy diet. Plus CrossFit. It is not that hard or restrictive at all. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think there is no variety. Pretty much all the real food you want, flavoured with any spices you want, eaten in satisfying quantities, seems like the most reasonable option for sustainability you could ever hope to find. Good luck.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 52 (view)

How can I reduce sugar cravings?
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:43:33 AM
OP, there is some good and not-so-good advice here, but when I read your post about your vegetarian son staying with you I about had a stroke. You are denying yourself excellent sources of protein and fat from real food so as not to offend him? In the process I can guarantee you are making your sugar cravings worse. You don't have to shove steak down his throat, but you should certainly be free to eat what is healthy for you.

As for what is healthy (and I am a reformed sugar/grain addict) I strongly recommend you look into the Paleolithic diet. As many have said here, grains and sugar make your cravings worse and the cycle continues. Protein and fat are good for you. Humans need them to function at their best. You don't have to make huge changes all at once. Start with eating protein and fat at each meal. Slowly increase the vegetables and slowly decrease breads and sugary sweets. And, if you possibly can, exercise. Depending on how sedentary you are, this may simply mean walking. At some point you could perhaps do something more intense, my personal favourite being CrossFit.

I got my best results from doing a strict 30-day trial of grain, processed sugar and dairy free, from which I was able to figure out that all of my fibromyalgia symptoms were diet-related and that I am a much stronger and happier person when I don't eat all that processed junk. I now use some dairy, some sugar, but rarely grain and I am in the best shape of my life. I have neve felt better. It was hard for about two weeks, but well worth it. Please believe me that your cravings will stop if you stop the cycle.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 3 (view)

Finding your Macros
Posted: 1/5/2012 2:31:34 PM
Macros just refer to the three macronutrients in food: protein, carbs and fat. I would tend to agree with Aristotle that you shouldn't worry about it a whole lot. Just eat real food that doesn't have an ingredients label and you should be ok.
 rurlgirl

Any true gluten intolerants, celiacs, or food intolerant people out there???
Posted: 12/10/2011 9:26:54 AM
I am not gluten intolerant, but I eat a diet free of grains and most dairy. I feel horrible if I eat grains in any quantity. I don't have to be careful about contamination, but I generally avoid eating out and tend to choose carefully when I do eat food that someone else has prepared, even if this hurts their feelings. I think the whole key is to consistently choose from foods that make you feel good. If people can't understand that, it's their problem.

I am constantly amazed at the gluten-free products that are available. I really think grains are best avoided by most people, and it shocks me that celiacs (who get violently ill consuming gluten) don't see that they should avoid grains rather than substitute one for another. It wouldn't be too bad as an occasional treat, but as a daily thing the substitutes aren't doing them any favours health-wise. I really think if your body reacts that badly to something you should sit up and take notice, and eliminate it, rather than stuffing yourself full of similar processed junk.

As for socializing and potentially meeting a mate, I take each relationship as it comes. I briefly explain my diet in situations where it's likely to cause affront, but for the most part I keep it to myself and few people ever notice. I don't think I could have a serious relationship with a man who didn't feel mostly the same as I do about lifestyle, so I don't go on a lot of dates. My diet and exercise regimens have entirely changed my life in the last couple of years, so it's one of the first things I look at when meeting someone as a potential mate. They don't have to be perfect, but the desire to live well has to be there.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 8 (view)

How to make it happen (going to the gym that is)
Posted: 9/11/2011 11:16:51 AM
First of all, I personally do a program that changes every day so that each day is a new challenge. It's called CrossFit, if you're interested in doing something that actually makes you care about what your body can do rather than a number on a scale. Before that, I just made it a part of my day, like going to work.

1. Just get to the door and then promise yourself to do what you can today.
2. Keep your workout gear with you when you'll be nearby the gym (I always have suitable gear in my car, just in case.)
3. Just like you (hopefully) bring lunch to work, bring an extra snack for between work and the gym, and perhaps for after as well. It's not that hard. Really. But you have to plan your life around your goals, not the other way around.

I'm pretty sure it's not easy for anyone. If it were easy everyone would do it, right? You are not going to wake up one day and magically be transformed into a gym-going machine. It doesn't get easier, but it may suck less once you begin to accomplish some goals.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 26 (view)

A Tough Test?
Posted: 6/14/2011 5:22:54 PM
Only 66.67%, sadly. Though I'm Canadian, so I probably shouldn't be too disappointed. I was surprised to learn that FDR threatened to impeach some Supreme Court justices. Quite the guy! Anyhow, I'm now moving on to the "How Do You Stop Procrastinating" thread.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 14 (view)

Self checkout at Safeway, you Pro or Con?
Posted: 6/5/2011 5:49:51 PM
I really don't like them at all. Safeway used to be about the personal service. Though I sort of like not having someone mangle my last name, I hate waiting for inept people to take way longer than a cashier to check out in front of me, and I hate trying to choose from their list of produce, which sometimes requires you to scan several pages. I buy A LOT of produce, so this happens often. And, when something goes wrong, I have not often had prompt, cheerful help. When I'm feeling particularly annoyed, I will actually stand in a long checkout line until they open another checkout rather than go to the self checkout. Maybe if we demand a certain level of service it will work its way up the chain. I think that the self checkouts are probably taking away some hours for the employees, and that is a slippery slope. In the end it will be the end consumers who decide what we ultimately want and are willing to pay for. We vote with our dollars every single day.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 12 (view)

Extreme Career Ambivalence
Posted: 4/10/2011 7:04:26 PM
I think you should consider that, while your strengths, education and passion may be used for a paying career, they needn't be limited to that. I have a huge variety of interests, and my career satisfies only a small portion of them. I use my skills and experience in many pursuits, and volunteer with a few organizations. The needs of non profit groups are varied and no less interesting, not to mention satisfying, than those of big business.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 5 (view)

Strong lift 5X5
Posted: 3/25/2011 7:45:47 PM
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE DEADLIFT! I would suggest getting a coach for a session or two to check your form, or you can post a video on crossfitdotcom or (I think) strengthmilldotcom and get digital coaching. It's a wonderful tool. I am certain if you got your form right you would not injure your back. On the contrary, you would certainly make it stronger and very likely stop injuring it doing almost nothing. Lunges? They're fine, but they're not the same as picking up heavy s***. If you can squat heavy and maintain your lumbar curve, you can most certainly deadlift safely. How far into the program are you and not doing deadlifts? These linear gain programs are not as effective if you're not doing the whole program and giving it your all.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 15 (view)

CrossFit's CEO & Founder is a Chubby Porker..
Posted: 3/3/2011 6:58:35 PM
That's ok, sexyisback. Those of us who walk the walk with CrossFit know that Glassman has the creds and nothing left to prove. We are thankful that he put all his considerable knowledge and experience into creating a great program. And we also like the fact that it's not for everyone. That's part of the allure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YGAhBvZH3s&feature=player_embedded
 rurlgirl

Do you like to look good in the gym?
Posted: 2/17/2011 2:27:25 PM
I believe as long as you are wearing reasonably clean clothes and are comfortable, you shouldn't worry too much. I see a lot of women in very expensive workout wear, but I don't think it's really necessary and in many cases the women never even break a sweat, so I'm inclined to think they are more interested in looking the part than actually getting fitter. I have quit wearing a baggy T-shirt and shorts now that I actually like my body, but that was my gym wear for a couple of years. There is a lot of great fabric available now that is made for working out and I highly recommend it for comfort. In many stores it is also reasonably priced. If you want to stick with cotton, make sure you wash it often! Style is optional, but odour is not!
 rurlgirl

Fasting Cardio?
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:18:06 PM
It never worked for me, at least not after a full night's sleep. I never had the energy to give it much effort. I do fast for a couple of hours pre-workout now, but that's only so I don't puke when I go balls-to-the-wall. Honestly, Iconoclast, if you want to retain muscle and lose fat, long slow cardio is *not* the way to go. Fasting or otherwise. I don't have the time and patience to look up a bunch of references, but I personally do something called CrossFit and it's the most amazing strength and conditioning program I have ever found. It has changed my life. The principles are pretty straightforward-intense exercise of varying kinds, changing it up constantly. I did the long slow thing for years and never experienced the kind of fat loss and muscle gain I have with this program.

You seem pretty happy with your trainer, but I would say that anyone who presses caffeine on you doesn't have much respect for your body. I have nothing against caffeine if it happens to enhance your training and you want to take it, but then it's not likely to help you much with long slow cardio. And the long slow cardio is more than likely not going to give you anywhere near the results you want. Even 10 minutes of intervals a day will probably achieve more if you really go hard.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 9 (view)

Has nutritional information at restaurants affected your purchasing habits?
Posted: 1/27/2011 3:29:36 PM
I haven't seen this anywhere I've been, but then I almost never eat out. When I do take a break from my own cooking, I happily bury my head in the sand and just enjoy whatever abomination to my health I'm consuming. I would far, far prefer a list of ingredients to nutritional values. I wonder how many weird chemicals are added to make those wings taste better than any I could ever hope to make.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 10 (view)

Milk
Posted: 1/24/2011 2:58:48 PM
Pretty simple as to why the sugar content is higher in lower-fat milk. Any time you adjust the macronutrient ratio, you change the amount of each macronutrient (protein, carb, fat) in some way. Take away the fat, and you're left with more sugar and possibly protein (not sure with milk, but often with cheese.) I haven't checked a milk label recently, but you will almost always find a higher sugar content in foods that have fat removed. This is especially true for manufactured foods. I think you're going about things the right way in trying to limit your carb consumption, and whole milk or even cream is absolutely the way to go. Even if you do consume some sugar, the higher fat content will slow the rate of entry of the sugar into your bloodstream, evening out insulin levels.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 5 (view)

Arthritis
Posted: 12/19/2010 3:23:10 PM
I am mostly in agreement with RenaiMan. I don't have arthritis, but I do have another inflammatory condition. Fish oil and vitamin D are excellent supplements. I would, however, caution that supplements are meant to supplement and complement a healthy diet. The diet I follow (which has cured my symptoms) is Paleolithic with proportions of about 30% protein, 30% carbs and 40% fat. Zone Diet by Barry Sears is also extremely helpful in undertanding inflammatory conditions. I would strongly recommend a diet free of added sugars/sweeteners, grains, and possibly dairy, depending how it affects you.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 16 (view)

Some plumbing advice, please!
Posted: 12/16/2010 6:56:53 PM
I know it's wrong to laugh, but I just went through this. A simple, half hour job of changing a faucet turned into a flooded kitchen and hours of fun. Like you, I had no hot water shut off valve between the tank and the one under the sink. Also, of course it was the hot water shut off that failed. I tried draining the lines, but I have a hyooooge hot water tank and it never happened. No matter how long I waited, I had hot water coming out of that line and burning my hand as I tried to install a new shutoff. Twice I thought I had it on, and twice it blew off and re-flooded the kitchen. I finally called a friend of mine who is very good at that sort of thing and he managed to get the valve to stay on, but not without a lot of cussing. Next time I'll live with the slightly drippy old faucet. Good luck and God be with you, OP!
 rurlgirl
Msg: 6 (view)

How much/what type of strength/power/training for marathon?
Posted: 12/4/2010 11:19:15 AM
This doesn't come from marathon experience, as I would rather poke my eye out with a fork than run a marathon, but rather from talking to others who run marathons and have tried this type of training. I would strongly recommend CrossFit, either straight up or CrossFit Endurance. I do CrossFit and it has improved my athletic ability in every single domain in a very, very short space of time. The methodoloy is all about performance, not looks, and it works wonders. No matter what your sport, it can improve your performance, especially speed and power, from what I have seen. There is quite a lot of info on the internet, but I would suggest going to a free intro class at a CrossFit affiliate near you.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 8 (view)

Is the NHS Still Working Well in the UK as far as Dentistry?
Posted: 11/7/2010 5:23:51 PM
I've often thought that some dental services should be covered by Canada's health system, as your teeth are critical to overall good health, but it would be very expensive. I am extremely fortunate to have both decent coverage and excellent teeth, and I'm still kind of shocked at the cost of minor stuff like cleanings and x-rays. That said, I have had work done when I had no coverage, and I paid for it with a credit card, as I had no income at the time. Health is a huge priority to me. I was a little disturbed at the comment about the price of a summer holiday, as I have not taken a getaway vacation in several years, and certainly my health takes precedence over a holiday, no contest. If you have money for a decent holiday every year, you should be able to look after your teeth. Unless, of course, you are waiting for someone else to do it for you.
 rurlgirl

Crossfit
Posted: 10/10/2010 5:30:45 PM
Yes, I do CrossFit. Started in May, and have never felt better. It's not for everybody, that's for sure, but forumfishie's experience I would say is not the norm. The workouts are supposed to be scaled to individual ability, so that whatever level you're at, you are challenged but not getting injured. The only person you are competing against is yourself. Like anything else, I suppose there are bad coaches out there. And athletes who either don't know their limits or don't listen to the coaches. I have never had a bad experience, and have so far found every coach to be extremely knowledgeabe and helpful. That's why I pay for it-the coaches are worth it. I have been working out for three years consistently, and made more progress in three months of CrossFit than in three years of various other programs. I find that those who gravitate to it are Type A personalities for the most part. It was pretty intimidating at first, but the community is awesome and welcoming. CrossFit has changed my body and my life for the better!
 rurlgirl
Msg: 22 (view)

Cutting Calories
Posted: 8/23/2010 5:30:09 PM
Yes, it is indeed an addiction. And like any addiction, I would suggest you need to figure out why you're doing it and work on those issues. I was the same way pretty much my whole life. I ate to suppress anger, fear, resentment, whatever was bugging me. And it was never healthy food. I exercised like crazy, but still never felt really well. Now I feel better than I ever have, and I think it's due to finally recognizing that food abuse is an addiction and must be dealt with as such. For me, the book "Women, God and Food" by Geneen Roth helped a great deal. Highly recommended. If you are interested, I am certain Overeaters Anonymous would also be very helpful, though I have never tried it. Finding a healthy attitude to food is about so much more than counting carbs or calories. You have to decide that you are worth it and live every aspect of your life with that in mind.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 24 (view)

Never happy, always a pessimist/miserable
Posted: 8/11/2010 7:30:39 PM
Pretty much. Why don't you speak to your doctor or a counsellor? I fear a doctor will only prescribe drugs, but a counsellor can at least offer you a different perspective. But seriously, OP, what you really need is to find what makes you happy WITH YOURSELF. There is no one else on the face of the earth that can bring you inner peace. For me, it's a healthy diet and lots of exercise, plus a spiritual component. I don't have a significant other, my financial picture and career aren't great, and yet I am still very happy almost all the time. It took me a while to find success, but it is possible. I have tried antidepressants. They help, but you still have to do the work to get to the root cause of your unhappiness.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 8/8/2010 3:53:44 PM
I didn't think we were discussing psychological pathologies here. Where are you even coming from? We are discussing people who insist they are NOT depressed, yet they can't ever find joy. And the reasons given are hard times or not being able to get women. Never was there any mention of mental illness of any kind. Until now. If one is afflicted with a mental or any other illness they should seek medical help. I don't, however, see how throwing out a bunch of illnesses that may afflict others bears on one's personal happiness.
 rurlgirl

Posted: 8/8/2010 11:32:14 AM
What a load of hooey! Really, all of us people who have done and continue to do the work to be whole people are spoiled and have never had to overcome any major obstacles? Puh-lease. Spare me the BS. The truth is that happiness has nothing to do with how many women you can date/sleep with, or your financial situation, or really any of the normal parameters of success. It comes from within, and is often a side effect of having dealt with horrible things in life. In my experience, faith or spirituality is essential in finding true peace and happiness, as is some suffering. Without suffering, how can we even recognize joy? A healthy lifestyle will magnify the feelings of contentment once you start to live a life of gratitude. As long as you keep looking outside yourself for fulfillment, you are bound to be disappointed. I mean, have you ever thought what it would be like to be born a woman in Afghanistan under the Taliban? Give your head a shake and start being thankful for what you have!!!!!!!!
 rurlgirl

The benefits of soya products vs dairy from cows
Posted: 7/6/2010 2:29:19 PM
No, I definitely do not agree that vegetarian/vegan is the way to go, but to each their own. I think you would have a very difficult time getting adequate protein without meat in your diet. Personally, I am a huge fan of the Zone as defined by Barry Sears with some elements of the Paleolithic diet. This is what makes me feel the best. No grains, no added sugar. Lots of lean meat and veggies, nuts, and some fruit. I tried going dairy free for a while. I admit I felt slightly better, but not good enough to stay off it. I think everyone needs to find their own path, or it will never be a long term thing.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 12 (view)

Emotional eating disorders
Posted: 5/26/2010 7:32:50 PM
I can relate, OP. There are a few good suggestions above, but I have never had a whole lot of luck with any of them. Personally, I try to just realize that I need to quit eating every time I feel stressed and deal with the stress. If that means cry, cry. Or do that nagging chore that I've been avoiding, or whatever it is that's making me want to eat a gallon of ice cream. I recently bought the book "Women, Food and God," by Geneen Roth, and I'm blown away by the insights in it. I highly recommend it to anyone struggling with any kind of eating disorder.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 7 (view)

Outside quad strenthing
Posted: 5/20/2010 7:52:47 PM
Firstly, you need to align your knees and your feet so that you don't get a knee injury. Get the form right first, then add weight or variations. Also, I find that lunges do more for my quads and glutes than squats ever have, even one-legged ones. Mix it up. Even if you are just looking for definition, I think these suggestions will help.
 rurlgirl

Firearm registry? here's some statistics...
Posted: 4/17/2010 2:08:36 PM
Living on the edge with that succinct statement, FGD! Bravo! I don't know if I agree, but I like your thinking. I happen to think that most violent deaths are very personal and not like what we often see on TV, so the closest weapon is used, whatever it may be. If these people had access to a gun, they would probably use it, but in the heat of the moment they pick up whatever's handy.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 17 (view)

The usual excuse of lack of time for not doing enough exercise is blown away by new research publi
Posted: 3/24/2010 6:45:08 PM
@ Sardonic Tonic. I tried to message you, but restrictions prevented me. I am fascinated with the IDEA of CrossFit, but it seems very daunting and foreign to those of us on the outside looking in. I have never been any good at anything remotely gymnastic, even as a child. I do take part in boxing conditioning and sparring and some other intense conditioning classes, as well as the usual aerobic plus weight lifting at the gym several times per week. My question is: Where the heck does the average person start? I am already into the Zone diet, so I guess that's good, but is there some modified version of CrossFit for absolute beginners? And I mean still not that good at "man" push-ups. I can only crank out a few. I would love to start somewhere, but where does one start with this program?
 rurlgirl
Msg: 26 (view)

Should I quit?
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:49:33 PM
I'm totally disgusted with those who are suggesting you steal office supplies. Since when does an irritating supervisor merit theft from the very company that employs you? Deal with the supervisor, or leave. Don't steal from the company. That could (and should IMO) land you with a criminal record. Then see how your career options are limited.
 rurlgirl
Msg: 9 (view)

gone gluten free but cant lose weight
Posted: 2/27/2010 8:15:53 PM
Personally, I try to follow the Zone diet, developed by Dr. Barry Sears. Makes a lot of sense, and I feel good when I stick to it. He definitely recommends keeping all grains, whole or otherwise, limited. Use vegetables and fruits to get your fibre. I use spaghetti squash in place of pasta, and almost never eat bread. If you're not willing to do that and insist on retaining lots of grains other than wheat, large flake oatmeal, pot barley and quinoa are reasonable choices. I really don't think we humans "need" all the grains to be healthy, but that's my opinion.
 rurlgirl

Help! My fridge isn't working!
Posted: 2/16/2010 8:45:33 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. It really was only extreme ice build-up which was blocking the vent between the fridge and freezer. My blow dryer worked, but it took all day. I have to admit this probably happened one (or many) of those times when I stuffed the freezer too full, it popped itself open, and then ran for HOURS. Hehe. Someday I'll learn.
 rurlgirl

Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 2/12/2010 5:59:15 PM
Well, I was never particularly worried, and didn't get the vaccine, though I did get the regular seasonal flu shot. As usual, I didn't get any flu this year. Took the usual precautions, such as hand washing, but didn't do anything special.

I do, however, work with livestock for a large multinational corporation. Wow. At work we had to wear masks to protect the pigs, lest we cough on them. Also had to stop using bar soap for hand washing AND showering into the facility. Now we have to use antibacterial EVERYTHING. Very harsh crap. Also, no longer allowed to use real towels when washing our hands. I think my farm alone has gone through the best part of a forest in paper towels. And we are a small piece of the company. Half of my co-workers came down with something, but in contravention of company H1N1 policy, they showed up for work anyway. At least my mask and gloves and paper towels provided some protection from them!

Show ALL Forums