Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Do women mind being approched in public?
 Velopedian
Msg: 6 (view)

Do women mind being approched in public?
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:00:01 PM
people in this city can tend to come across as self-absorbed, if not unfriendly. but like wwr, i talk to people all the time in public... standing in lines, on transit, waiting to cross a street... and while most people do respond positively, i've also found many vancouverites to be bit uncomfortable when address by strangers.
 Velopedian
Msg: 14 (view)

free means FREE
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:34:17 PM

It costs lot of time and money to establish and maintain...

can't be all that bad, by his own admission this site has made the owner a multi-millionaire.
 Velopedian
Msg: 21 (view)

Go Green with a biodegradable coffin.
Posted: 10/29/2011 8:16:21 PM
donate whatever can can be donated. after that , i really don't care... it's not like i'm gonna know the difference.
 velopedian
Msg: 19 (view)

pof credits to see if your messages are read
Posted: 1/18/2011 10:55:27 PM
by his own admission, this site has made the big fish a mult-millionaire. it's not a matter of making enough dough, it's a matter of making more dough. but while i rarely agree with tdh, he nailed it with... "He is charging for something nobody needs."
if they respond, they respond. if they don't, take the hint.
 velopedian
Msg: 4 (view)

Happy Thoughts:
Posted: 8/20/2010 12:29:47 PM
the wind in my hair
 velopedian
Msg: 33 (view)

Do you think having TOO MANY RESTRICTIONS hinders possibilities?
Posted: 6/27/2010 9:39:01 PM
i always wonder about the people who have a list of 15-16 restrictions, are they really serious about finding someone?
 velopedian
Msg: 18 (view)

POF catch words or phrases, and how you interpret them
Posted: 6/24/2010 10:35:53 PM
re: msg34

i happen to have quite a few female acquaintances(some ex's, some not, some attached, some not), they are neither stalkers, nor fwb's. we hugged, we laughed and we cried together. i've been in their wedding parties, held their newborns and watched them grow into adults in their right... in short we are friends.

i'm not about to give up a decades long friendship because of someone else's insecurities and lack of trust.

so tell me, how does that make me a wuss?
 velopedian
Msg: 3 (view)

Tots and Tiaras
Posted: 6/22/2010 7:16:17 PM
sick, bordering on child abuse. among other things, it's teaching children all the wrongs things about self-image.

jmho
 velopedian
Msg: 258 (view)

Can a guy be friends with an ex girlfriend?
Posted: 6/10/2010 10:18:17 PM
church... for saving me the time of going through 19 pages to get the general consensus, i am indebted to you.

ot- over the years, i've remained good friends with all but a very few of my ex's(not to mention their present partners), to the point of being included in their wedding parties. we need to remember... there was probably good reason(or at least you thought so at the time) for being together, a reason that made you both smile.
 velopedian
Msg: 26 (view)

Playoff hopes for Vancouver Canucks for 2009-10 season
Posted: 6/10/2010 9:06:43 PM
^^^even if philly had won, the hawks proved they were the superior team 2 rounds ago.

as much as they may despise them, canuck fans' spring mantra of "next year!" makes them sound more and more like leaf fans every year.
 velopedian
Msg: 11 (view)

POF catch words or phrases, and how you interpret them
Posted: 6/10/2010 7:24:56 PM
a few = 40
trying to quit = i'm down to a pack a day
a nice smile = i can still open a beer with my last 3 teeth
i'm cute = my mom says i am, so i must be
 velopedian
Msg: 9 (view)

Is POF having me complete a survey one question at a time?
Posted: 6/3/2010 10:24:04 AM

What's the big deal about answering what your intent is if you have it in your profile?

if it was a matter of better matching, i don't think it would be a problem. but so far, the only matching i see is in the ads becoming more specific... it used to be only my city. now they're targeted to my age(not just over 50, but over 51.) and my height(to within a few inches).

when i search, i'm still unable to contact far too many of the women due to their restrictions. surely the search function could be programmed to take both parties restrictions into account. improve that function and i'll have way fewer complaints about other questions.
 velopedian

Reluctance to change
Posted: 6/3/2010 10:04:18 AM
years ago, a large company i worked for went on a very expensive(over $70million) and very public re-branding campaign even though they were bleeding money and on the verge of going under. according to one of my managers, it was because "you have to be seen to be doing something"...needless to say, said company is now no more.

with the present company, it seems that we still see change for no other reason than to "be seen". as front line employees in a customer service industry, my co-workers and i are rarely asked for our input on these changes, many of which were tried and rejected as unworkable years ago because they take away the ability of the employees to serve the customers best.

we've been told we "don't see the big picture"... unfortunately, we do see a lot of unhappy customers, who have virtually nowhere to go due to a near monopoly in some markets. so do you resist change in order to keep your customers happy? or do you simply shrug and follow orders?
 velopedian

Posted: 6/1/2010 10:22:09 PM
now, even though i've already stated what i'm looking for in my profile, i can't read or answer messages until i answer the "intent" question. wtf?
 velopedian
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 5/28/2010 6:07:55 PM
ever since the income question went up, i've just been ignoring them.

re: msg 5

i too have noticed a big increase in spam for the addy that i use for pof. co-incidence?
 velopedian
Msg: 94 (view)

HST!
Posted: 5/25/2010 8:57:15 PM
in the beginning i tried finding info about goods that were exempt, rebated, not applied, but finally gave up. it took the goverment a year to come up with a full list of what would and would not be subjected to the hst, why?

and while the government says business will be passing on savings to the consumer, the bclcb has already shown that to be false by raising prices just enough to compensate for any reductions in their costs. does anybody really think private businesses will act differently and pass on their savings?

for something that is, as they seem to think, so monumentally important to our economy, why did the liberals wait until after the election to spring it on us? can anyone actually believe that they weren't considering this before then? why not make it an election issue, debate it in public and let the voters decide?
 velopedian
Msg: 91 (view)

HST!
Posted: 5/24/2010 10:12:19 PM
of course this was for the corportacracy... who are the biggest donations coming from?

but in all his arrogance, i can guarantee that gordo the magnificent wasn't expecting this much of a backlash, and that the liberals(talk about a misnomer) could ride it out by tossing out a goodie or two here and there to the starving masses. they're banking on the short memory of the electorate and the distant date of the next election.

even if the referendum passes, they can still drag it out for months, possibly years. recall is also an option... more difficult than the referendum, but much scarier for individual MLAs.
 velopedian
Msg: 89 (view)

HST!
Posted: 5/24/2010 8:03:06 PM
^^^ and how much of that raise would be eaten up by income taxes? what about raising the personal exemption? that would put more money directly into the pockets of those who need it, without costing the smaller businesses that so often employ min-wagers.

i wonder why gas is hst exempt and kids clothes are not? could it be that there are more voters who drive than there are voters who have to buy kids clothes?
 velopedian
Msg: 10 (view)

New feature - filtering users who may break up with you???
Posted: 5/16/2010 9:37:29 PM
after reading the op, i checked the "my matches" page... am i the only one who noticed the difference?

The average person on this site has about 1000 people they could date with in a reasonable distance. To make your search easier on this page we only show you women you would most likely enter into a relationship with. We also take into account all your messaging restrictions and we filter users you would most likely break up with if you did enter into a relationship.

The average person on this site has about 1000 people they could date with in a reasonable distance. To make your search easier on this page we only show you men whose income is equal to yours or higher (In only 5% of relationships is a woman's income significantly higher than a mans). We also take into account all your messaging restrictions and we filter users you would most likely break up with if you did enter into a relationship.
 velopedian
Msg: 140 (view)

Best tv show...ever
Posted: 4/10/2010 9:07:31 AM
there never be anything like pushing daisies... everything about it was over the top- premise, sets, colours, plots, bad jokes. one of the few shows i would make an effort to see.
 velopedian
Msg: 23 (view)

If You Lay Dying? Your Final Words?
Posted: 4/4/2010 9:05:49 PM
beer me...

Messages this short may not be posted
 velopedian
Msg: 33 (view)

Imagine There Is No Religion
Posted: 2/28/2010 10:27:17 PM
i would tend to think that atheism would be considered a lack of faith. paganism on the other hand is a religion, not a cult.

as for pastafarianism? well, the flying spaghetti monster makes as much sense as jesus, allah, buddha or any other name you prefer to associate with the religion of your choice. except for the belief of it's followers, there is no proof one way or the other for pastafarianism, christianity or any other faith. i can't prove that jesus, the fsm et al di or did not do everything that's credited to them, and neither can you.

it all boils down to one thing... faith is nothing more than a personal belief.

and on a final note... even as young as 12, i managed to figure out that, over the millenia, more harm has been done in the name of various loving gods than any other reason. hmmm...
 velopedian
Msg: 13 (view)

Turning lemons into lemonade
Posted: 2/27/2010 11:25:32 AM
over the years, i've learned that finding a way to tell a story about my woes in a way that will make others laugh, makes them hurt not quite so much.

shared pain lessens, shared laughter grows.
 velopedian
Msg: 29 (view)

Imagine There Is No Religion
Posted: 2/27/2010 11:15:42 AM
a world with no religion? that'd be heavenly...
 velopedian

Is internet dating like looking for a new job?
Posted: 2/16/2010 10:46:18 PM
^^^ the empty half of my bed is my boss?

edit: come to think of it, you may be right.
 velopedian
Msg: 14 (view)

Will Respond ~ New Feature
Posted: 2/15/2010 7:11:59 PM
to me, this new feature is something that bureaucratic managerial type would come up with... instead of dealing with a problem that your customers have pointed out, come up with something that you hope will distract them without actually dealing with the problem.
 velopedian
Msg: 81 (view)

Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/14/2010 10:23:14 PM
i might not be so against this so-called feature, if all the other so-called features(my matches, chemistry, will respond, even searches) actually worked. or even if any of them worked. due to their restrictions, i'm prevented from contacting most of results.

since his track record already stinks, what should make me think that this further restriction is a benefit to me?
 velopedian

Will Respond ~ New Feature
Posted: 2/14/2010 10:16:30 PM
along with "my matches" and those i should i have "chemistry" with, this is another useless feature i will not be using. after a random sampling, like walts, i too found i can't contact a majority of the women. i've even pretty much given up on the search function because i'm prevented from contacting the vast majority of the results that are returned.

guess i'll just stick to the forums and check the inbox once in awhile.
 velopedian
Msg: 72 (view)

Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/12/2010 2:47:21 AM

Marcus does not give a rat's azz about any of us. There is only one thing he cares about, MONEY, and how he can make more of it by the information he gleans from us.

to quote edith-ann "and that's the truth... thppppth(or however you spell the sound of a bi-labial fricative)"

those who take the time to think about these things are not the ones filling his bank account with obscene amounts of money. there are plenty of liars and sheeple willingly doing that for him.(and i really don't don't care if you think you don't fall into either of those groups)

TFWWSEB... i see where you're coming from. when it comes to internet dating, the truth can be a very subjective thing. it seems that in many cases the listed age, marital staus and/or number of teeth all seem to be vague guidelines... adding income to the list of falsehoods just dilutes an already watery mix.

if i was to enter an amount, i'd change my addy to lydboutmyincom... but since i'm kinda attached to velo, that's not going happen.
 velopedian
Msg: 12 (view)

Dramatically changing your look or style
Posted: 2/12/2010 1:45:51 AM
mon cherie... on the upside you've found a salon that not only knows you are unhappy, but also cares and is willing to remedy the situation.
 velopedian

Dramatically changing your look or style
Posted: 2/11/2010 9:44:54 AM
for well over twenty years, i had hair down to my shoulders. one day i just decided it was time to go, walked into a barbershop and told him to take it off. sitting in the chair, i'll never forget the old barber(must've been in his 70's, if he was a day) repeating "are ye shore lad?" 4 or 5 times in a thick irish brogue. but i was, and so he put the zero on and went right down to the wood.

what a feeling! cool, light and breezy. and what a shock to friends and family... many of whom didn't recognize me until i spoke. not to mention sooo much simpler combing it with a towel.

and, i immediately saw a huge difference in how i was treated by so-called authority figures(police, customs, etc). all of a sudden there was level of respect that i'd never received before from these people... the word "sir" suddenly appeared in their vocabularies. same guy, same car, same bags, same passport(complete with same old photo), way fewer hassles. go figure.
 velopedian
Msg: 134 (view)

Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 2/11/2010 9:13:38 AM
herding... i helped a friend through non-hodgkins lymphoma a few years ago and he used medical marijuana to help him through his chemo. all the local compassion club requires is a note from your doctor. there you'll find that they have a range of different strains that, far from just making you "stupid and dizzy", will help you function better. some relieve pain, others help reduce nausea, still others will give you a little energy.

and yes, it is a heckuva lot cheaper than the other route.

good luck, and all the best in your fight.
 velopedian
Msg: 54 (view)

Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:13:57 AM

treat it as advertisement for the dimmest

and that is how the admin is treating you, me and everyone else here.
 velopedian
Msg: 46 (view)

Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:38:14 PM
re: msg's 34 &37...

notice it's just the
percentage of total US internet traffic

not total visits, not other countries. just one country, one number is the justification being used for this. there could be all sorts of reasons for that one number to decline... new users in age groups not interested in dating sites, the novelty wearing off or lack of input from customers. how many others?

the stat i'd like to see is the actual increase/decrease of visits to dating sites in general, and pof in specific, over that time period?

on a personal note... i'm open about my drug use(rare as it is), but the vast majority of what the system considers to be "my matches", have a no drugs restriction. why keep sending me the same old matches that i can't contact? for most people, drug use seems to be a much more important criteria than income, why not address that issue instead?

also, if online dating sites(including this one)
aren't working well enough at matching people

why do their ads keep telling us how good they are at what they are doing? with two contradicting statements, which do we believe? what we're told in the forums, or what we're told in the ads?
 velopedian
Msg: 2 (view)

Is internet dating like looking for a new job?
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:25:32 AM
i do see the similarities... the whole resume, application, interview process.

but i am soooo glad i'm not waking up next to my boss every morning.
 velopedian
Msg: 120 (view)

Dating for the money!!!!
Posted: 1/30/2010 1:12:00 AM
mis~(hard finding that ~ , never used it before)fit - i don't think it's the feature so much as it the threatening and bullying manner in which it is being introduced... do it or else. you could probably the admin's refusal to give a full and truthful explanation for his actions. pof members are his meal ticket, we have made him rich. the least he could do is be honest and upfront with us.
 velopedian
Msg: 103 (view)

Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:59:03 PM

Why would we legalize such a dangerous drug?

why is alcohol legal? why is tobacco legal? they are both much more dangerous.

for one thing, prohibition doesn't work. there are only three groups that profit from prohibition... criminals, lawyers and guys building new prisons. all of which are a severe drain on our tax dollars.

first- keep it away from kids.
second- educate people about the effects, without resorting to hysteria.
third- regulate and tax the hell out of it the same way we regulate and tax tobacco and alcohol.
 velopedian
Msg: 113 (view)

Dating for the money!!!!
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:27:41 PM
nothing worse than a bully... time to move on.

cc, you have mail.
 velopedian
Msg: 37 (view)

PO'd about Proroguing Parliament?
Posted: 1/29/2010 4:45:43 PM
it seems the guy at the top just doesn't care what anybody says... this is what i want to do, and there's nothing you can say that'll change my mind.

hmmm, sound familiar?
 velopedian

Is it low self esteem or something else?
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:20:12 AM

They are on noble quests of saving the world. They have brushed wings with gods and have earned reams of frequent flyer miles on the astral plane. They read books at a rate that would keep a bookstore or library in business, and are clearly far more intellectual than me. They are so active they would leaving me gasping in their dust.

i always wondered when these folks find time to do the sillier things in life, like eating and sleeping. never mind fishing...
 velopedian
Msg: 86 (view)

what i got in my mail today
Posted: 1/27/2010 10:29:09 PM
be- don't forget to add that $386.00, not to mention the lil $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, to your income...
 velopedian
Msg: 291 (view)

What is your weakness when it comes to the opposite sex?
Posted: 1/27/2010 11:39:18 AM
(note to self... get some cowboy boots, move to nanaimo and start playing pool.)
 velopedian
Msg: 288 (view)

What is your weakness when it comes to the opposite sex?
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:22:48 PM
pretty much everything... yup, pretty much everything.
 velopedian
Msg: 81 (view)

Dating for the money!!!!
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:15:38 PM
someone on the other thread brought up the question of who is getting this info besides pof. the do it or we won't let you play threat makes me agree with the idea our info is being sold.
 velopedian
Msg: 35 (view)

Posted: 1/26/2010 8:27:07 PM
harper knows the opposition is too afraid of public opinion about another election. as much as i don't like him, i have to admit that harper is a master at playing the parliamentary rules game.

I will admit that I like the legislation that is being brought up by the opposition parties to make any prorogation have to be passed in the House. Great Idea.

i agree, but is it only wishful thinking?
 velopedian
Msg: 48 (view)

Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/25/2010 7:53:54 PM
^^^off the top of my head i can add relief from some of the syptoms of glaucoma to that list, and with a little research there's probably more.

i witnessed the benefits of the medicinal use of marijuana a few years when a close friend was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. his doctor readily agreed to the referral that the compassion club needed(strangely enough, with no mention of any gates). different varieties enabled him to eat, sleep and just plain relieve some of the pain of both the cancer and the chemo.

earlier i asked if any of the no drugs folks would reject someone who was legitimately using marijuana for a medical condition, say to relieve the effects of glaucoma, or hep. still waiting for an answer...

btw... congrats on quitting rita, i know how hard it can be. next month will 25 years for me, and pot helped me quit too.
 velopedian

Posted: 1/23/2010 3:14:05 PM
^^^unfortunately there were a significant number of bills that died... everything from consumer safety to terrorism to free trade with jordan, and more. months(years?) of work and how many millions of our dollars wasted so harper can avoid unwanted criticism.
 velopedian

What would be different if we all looked the same??
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:58:19 AM
we might be headed down that road already... just look at all the little paris hilton clones running around.
 velopedian
Msg: 39 (view)

Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:41:02 PM
and the so name calling begins...

considering that pretty much every time someone does say something bad about marijuana, it is part of an anti-drug campaign, what else do you expect "potheads" to think? both sides can be totally unreasonable in their views, but things are never that black and white... contrary to what the pro's say, like any drug, there is a danger of abuse. and contrary to the anti's, what about the proven benefits of medicinal marijuana? do you reject someone who has a prescription for marijuana to deal with glaucoma?

as i said earlier we are all entitled to our preferences- i can't deal with smokers- but we sometimes seem to be too quick to condemn others for what could be relatively minor things. i might have 3-4 tokes a year, probably less, but because of that one word-socially- on my profile, i can't contact a majority of women. unreasonable? not at all, they're entitled. but ask any drug user on this site, and they will tell you that someone with that restriction has contacted them. so why is that the same people who prevent drug users from contacting them, turn around and contact drug users?

yes it is a dating site, and yes we want information about prospective matches. but you missed the point i was trying to make about randomly meeting someone... isn't that random person also a prospective match? are we not filling out the form, so to speak, while talking with them? and for those of us that it matters to, just when do you bring up the subject of drug use?

the only time i've ever heard the gateway term used in a dr.'s office or pharmacy, has been in magazines. usually de-bunking it.

on the other hand rbg... looking at their control of the alcohol and tobacco markets, i guess we can agree on the governments being purveyors of drugs. rather hypocritical purveyors imho.
 velopedian
Msg: 38 (view)

Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/22/2010 10:38:02 AM

Now THAT'S Funny. You know, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone is not out to get you

The danger is this: Over 50 percent of these young addicts started on marihuana smoking. They started there and graduated to heroin; they took the needle when the thrill of marihuana was gone (Boggs Act Hearings, 1951: 206).

Our younger people usually start on the road which leads to drug addiction by smoking marihuana. They then graduate into narcotic drugs-cocaine, morphine, and heroin. When these younger persons become addicted to the drugs, heroin, for example, which costs from $8 to $15 per day, they very often must embark on careers of crime ... and prostitution ... in order to buy the supply which they need (Congressional Record, 1951: 8197-8198).

in the 50's it was called the "stepping stone" theory and was brought up at the boggs act hearings, the first time marijuana was included with narcotics. but i guess it's only my paranoia...

ot- we meet someone in public... while standing in a line, waiting for a bus, etc... and start chatting. how offended would we be if they started asking something as personal as this in the first 5 minutes? yet we expect complete strangers to supply us with this information, and will reject them out of hand for a simple wrong word.

Show ALL Forums