Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: NBA 2009-2010 season
 pyro74
Msg: 16 (view)

NBA 2009-2010 season
Posted: 6/17/2010 10:01:35 PM
(quote)NBA 2009-2010 season
Posted: 11/1/2009 104 AM
Top 4 in the West: Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers, Jazz

Top 4 in the East: Celtics, Magic, Cavs, Bulls

Western Conference finals: Lakers over Nuggets in 7.

Eastern Conference finals: Celtics over Orlando in 6.

Finals: Lakers over Celtics in 7.

Dark-horse: Denver Nuggets(/quote)

I think if George Karl didn't go out at the end of the season(and replace Blazers with Suns and Bulls with Hawks), my predictions would've been a little more accurate.
 pyro74
Msg: 5 (view)

HBO'S The PACIFIC
Posted: 5/19/2010 5:33:52 AM
I liked it. Some episodes were kinda slow. Snafu was, by far, my favorite character. The actor who played him stole the show. That scene were he got off the train without saying goodbye to Sledge was so powerful. I hope he gets an Emmy nod.
 pyro74
Msg: 1 (view)

Frustration with my sons mom
Posted: 4/1/2010 4:08:28 PM
First some details:
Son 14, lives with his mom. She is married and has two other kids(8,3) with her husband. I pay court ordered child support, and get him every other weekend(this is what she set up). He plays sports, so sometimes the scheduling conflicts, and I just go to his games and out to dinner or something. I try to see him as much as I can.
Now here's the problem:
He got suspended from school(8th grader, middle school) for setting off the fire alarm. He's generally a good kid, gets decent grades, but sometimes does stupid things. So anyway. I wasn't suppose to have him this week, but she called telling me about the suspension, and wants me to pick him up and "handle it"(her exact words). An arguement ensued about who the diciplinarian should be. She does this alot. I'll go to pick him for a few days, and she'll tell me any bad thing he did and wants me to do something about it. I don't think it's fair, that I have to use the few times a month that I get to spend time with my son, to act as his diciplinarian. We have a good relationship, and he is always well behaved with me.
Sorry if I'm venting. But, am I wrong here? Any advice would be appreciated. And I was wondering if anyone out there went through the same type of thing.
 pyro74
Msg: 6 (view)

The Minuteman watchdog group is disbanding.
Posted: 3/26/2010 4:49:22 AM

This is an outrage...with Obama pandering to the Latino group it would seem we need more border control not less.
Being a citizen of one of the states most negatively affected by the influx of illegal immigrants I can only hope that the government does their job and protects our border...yeah right.

FYI: Deportations are at record highs under the Obama administration, that's why the latinos just held a huge immgration rally in DC.
 pyro74
Msg: 5 (view)

Neighbours in my building are smoking pot and driving me NUTS.
Posted: 3/26/2010 1:48:41 AM
Buy an air purifier. You could get a good one for about $40 and they work wonders.
 pyro74
Msg: 4 (view)

Question about auto headlamps
Posted: 3/12/2010 10:32:48 PM
Yes, the lens cleaners work. I had an Explorer where the lens were almost yellow. It took about five applications and a lot of elbow grease, but they look almost new now.
 pyro74
Msg: 9 (view)

Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/12/2010 10:29:52 PM
I love the Mexican coke in the tall skinny bottles. It is smoother and does taste better.(I think the glass bottle helps) There is a little Taqueria near my house that has them. Two authentic carne asada tacos and a Mexican coke. Life is good.
 Pyro74
Msg: 27 (view)

Whiney Bitch or Not
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:59:14 PM

Oh, it happens. My niece has a classmate who is severely allergic to basically everything that his classmates might have. The child has been carrying 3 epi-pens with him wherever he goes... last year he had an attack because he walked past a locker with a PB and J sandwich inside (given by a non-custodial dad who didn't know). Not only that, children in his class are not allowed to ingest peanut butter 24 hours before they come to school.

The same child is also allergic to seafood (no tuna sandwiches), eggs (no egg salad), strawberries, coconut, kiwi, oranges.... all together there are 27 different food allergies. My sister is having a heck of a time fixing healthy lunches that her daughter will be allowed to eat. He's also allergic to cats, dogs, dust, feathers, latex, etc. The final straw came when a letter came home to parents of all children in the school. As of now, the children are not to come to school after they have been in contact with a family pet. They were instructed to have a separate wardrobe for school, that is to be stored in air-tight containers and laundered in scent free detergent.

Wow. Seriously? If my child went to that school, I would try to get that kid removed. Can't even play with their own pet? BS
 Pyro74

How long would it take you to prove the President is real.
Posted: 3/2/2010 10:19:25 PM
"What is ‘real’? How do you define ‘real’? If you mean what we can taste, smell, hear and feel then what’s ‘real’ is nothing more than electrical signals interpreted by your brain." - Morpheus
 pyro74
Msg: 14 (view)

Obama, Bush's worst plus his own.
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:21:38 PM
To the OP:
Yes, he is W part deux. I am now thoroughly convinced they are all(all politicians) on the same team. They only look out for themselves and the corporations that sponsor them. However, that being said. I would still vote for Obama over McCain.
 pyro74

Breaking Bad
Posted: 2/25/2010 3:26:43 AM
Anybody out here in POF land watch this show? It is seriously one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Season 3 starts March 21 on AMC. If you havn't seen the show I highly suggest catching up with seasons 1 and 2(online, dvd) before the new one starts.
Here's a little recap of the show from AMC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmk0kkznxSw
 pyro74
Msg: 38 (view)

New Palin Statistics...
Posted: 2/19/2010 8:57:06 PM

Because left leaning Paul has taken a stand against the occupation of Iraq and the U.S. war on terror. He voted against last year's war funding bill, supports repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act and opposes an attack on Iran.

Sounds like a true conservative to me. Republican or not he's got my vote.
 pyro74
Msg: 8 (view)

Needing advice please...
Posted: 1/18/2010 2:15:01 AM

Your friend needs to know that $125 a week is considered a gift, and won't be taken into consideration when it comes time to pay back child support.

If there is no court ordered child support, he legally does not have to pay. And even with a judgement, it is not retro-active.
My advice, is to immediately stop giving her any money, and get legal counsultation. If he wants to send her money because he feels compelled to, that's cool, I guess. But legally it has no bearing on any type of judgement. Child support and visitation are two completely seperate entities. Get court ordered visitation and child support, do not ever let her use seeing his kids as ransom for money.
 pyro74

Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 9:01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4792320

The players seem to support the firing and say Leach was getting out of control.
 pyro74
Msg: 17 (view)

Alright Tiger just now admitted to everything he did..Bravo!!
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:37:56 AM

Tiger will not be returning to golf until way after his divorce is over with, and even if he does return, he will be off his game by then, and soon to follow will be a new up and coming player to make everybody forget all about him anyway.

Yeah, sure. Everybody is just going to forget about the greatest golfer ever because he cheated on his wife.

No that is not the way it works in the PGA. They are held to a higher standard than the football players.

Maybe in your mind they are. But I know for a fact that alot of PGA pros party just as hard if not harder than most professional athletes out there.
 pyro74
Msg: 15 (view)

Alright Tiger just now admitted to everything he did..Bravo!!
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:59:56 PM

He will now be distracted by this in every major golf tournament he plays in.
I don't see him beating Nicklaus record and most people now will be rooting against him when he returns since all this happened.

Yeah, he's finished. Just like when Kobe cheated on his wife, was tried for rape and aquitted. Kobe's carer fell apart...............Ohhh, wait a second. Kobe is the best player in the NBA and won a championship last year. As for Tiger, when he comes back, he'll be fine. A year or two and this will all be forgotten.
 pyro74
Msg: 53 (view)

Tiger Woods
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:19:38 PM
People really need to let go of the false notion that human beings are monogamous. Then this type of thing wouldn't be such a big news story.
 pyro74
Msg: 94 (view)

legalized marijuana...a possible American reality?
Posted: 11/17/2009 3:39:31 AM

However, it is indeed a gateway drug. I used to disagree, but after going to college for a few years and watching roommate after roommate progress from pot to X to cocain, I can agree that it is.

What about alcohol? You guys never drank it in college? Or did you just purposely leave it out to support your position. I think alcohol introduced more people to harder stuff than marijuana ever did. But, I don't suscribe to the "mothers milk" theory. People are going to do drugs, and the ones with underlying pyschological problems will move on to harder and harder ones. It's a natural progession that you simply cannot blame on one substance.
 pyro74
Msg: 51 (view)

legalized marijuana...a possible American reality?
Posted: 11/5/2009 3:19:27 PM

IMO, if anybody ever does it first here it will be CA. Since they already are kind of close , in a way, with their legalized medical marijuana and medical growing licenses and all that , up in some areas in the northern part of the state. But frankly I don't see it happening statewide, even in CA, anytime soon.

The initiatives will be on the ballot next year, and all polls say they will pass. So, on Jan. 1, 2011 possesion of up to an ounce of marijuana will be legal in Ca. you could also grow your own in a 5 foot x 5 foot plot.
And your wrong about Arcata. That city is an example of why it should be legal statewide. If it were, you wouldn't have everybody showing up and over running a small town, they could grow anywhere in the state.
 pyro74
Msg: 11 (view)

NBA 2009-2010 season
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:22:04 AM
Top 4 in the West: Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers, Jazz

Top 4 in the East: Celtics, Magic, Cavs, Bulls

Western Conference finals: Lakers over Nuggets in 7.

Eastern Conference finals: Celtics over Orlando in 6.

Finals: Lakers over Celtics in 7.

Dark-horse: Denver Nuggets
 pyro74
Msg: 2 (view)

Should the President render salutes to military personnel ?
Posted: 10/29/2009 7:31:01 PM
So, How do you feel about the armed forces saluting him?
 pyro74

Star Patrick Swayze dead at the age of 57
Posted: 9/15/2009 3:52:28 AM
I will always remember Patrick as "Jed Eckert" bad-ass older brother and freedom fighter in "Red Dawn." It was my favorite movie as a kid, and every now and then my friends and I still quote it. Thank you for being a big part of my childhood Mr Swayze, may you rest in peace.
WOLVERINES!
 pyro74

Were the police's action's justified in this case?
Posted: 8/26/2009 3:35:51 AM

That wasn't an option in a daytime shopping centre carpark where the potential of any young child sprinting over to the demented woman was simply too great.

Come on, you can't be serious with this statement.
The old lady was moving extremely slowly. The female officer could've kept people away, and defused the situation without subjecting this obviously very old and very confused lady to bodily harm.

But mostly injury is absolutely minimised any which way and just appears very sudden and dramatic in delivery (has more psychological effect on offenders and bystanders than actual physical damage would imply). The cop actually probably did more lasting damage forcing the knife out of her hand after she was down than in the throw in the first place, and it is the throw which is making people crazy.

An elderly person falling on their own accord can cause all sorts of damage both internally and externally. This woman was forcefully thrown to the asphalt and suffered an immediate head wound. (did you not see all the blood?) You can try to excuse the officer all you want, but there were better options. Just because it was legal, does not make it right.
 pyro74

Autopsy: Cocaine contributed to Billy Mays' death
Posted: 8/7/2009 7:44:12 PM
I agree with his family. He was not high on coke at the time of his death. He last used it a few days earlier, but yet the medical examiners office lists it as a contributory cause of death. If that were really the case, he would have to have been using a substantial amount of cocaine over the last few years. That's too bad, now alot of people are going think he died a coke-head, when that might not be the case at all.
 pyro74
Msg: 36 (view)

Dipping sauces for steak. Anyone have a good one?
Posted: 7/31/2009 7:39:54 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned a Port wine reduction. It's one the best sauces you'll ever have with a good cut of beef. Here something to get you started:
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 bay leaves
3 cups port wine
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Continue to boil the mixture until it thickens and reduces to about 1/2 cup, about 45 minutes.
Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and let cool. Use at room temperature.
Try it out and report back. You'll never need another steak sauce again.
 pyro74

7-Year-Old Steals Car To Avoid Church
Posted: 7/31/2009 1:05:51 AM
The boy can drive. The video is amazing, he's such a little kid. I also understand his motives.
 pyro74
Msg: 25 (view)

Micheal Vick
Posted: 7/30/2009 2:17:00 PM
I'm a dog lover, and have raised two pittbulls. To me, Michael Vick will always be a low-life piece of $hit. But, the man did pay his dues to society according to our legal system. So, Why not let him play football?
 pyro74
Msg: 10 (view)

Worst Job You've Ever Had
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:48:50 PM
Sales manager for 7up/RC Bottling Co.
Salary job, no OT, but was still pressured into working 50 hours plus per week. Had 30+ accounts which means I had to deal with 30+ a$$hole store managers and assistant managers.( only a couple were cool) My Nextel, text pager, and cell-phone were constantly going off. If I didn't answer them even when I was supposed to be done for the day, they would yell at me in the morning.
I was pretty much on call on Saturdays until all my loads were delivered.(until about 3 pm) There was no point in making good numbers, because that your only set your own bar higher for next year. No calling in sick, they would call me every two hours: "How you feeling now? Can you come in for a few hours?"
All in all it is the worst job ever.
 pyro74
Msg: 10 (view)

Chinese Building an Aircraft Carrier
Posted: 7/10/2009 3:10:20 PM
China is/will be the next dominant global superpower. It is only prudent that they would develop a strong navy to extend their reach. They are heavily invested in east Africa, so it would be smart for them to park a carrier task force off the coast over there.
My guess, is that when all is said and done in the global game of chess for the worlds fleeting energy supplies, India will emerge as USA's strongest ally.( If the US makes it out of the game intact)
Side note. I remember reading in Time or US News and World Report, that China was 10 years away from developing advanced first strike capability. I read that article 15 years ago.
 pyro74

Southpark favorite episode
Posted: 7/1/2009 12:28:57 AM
I think "Raisins" is probably my favorite episode. I also really like the "goobacks" one:
"They took our jobs!"
"Dey tuk r jebs!"
"Derka Derrrrrr!"
 Pyro74
Msg: 39 (view)

Dog the Bounty Hunter
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:32:41 PM
I have never liked bounty hunters, and this guy is a total a$$clown. Bounty hunters are just like collection agencies. They go out, round up fugitives that the real authorities don't deem as important, and get a few bucks from bail bonds men for their effort. Lame.
 pyro74

The First Ammendment is now called low-level terrorism in the US.
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:14 PM
The US government has always considered protests as low level terrrorism. But they know that the people have the right to protest, so they just back and "watch."
 pyro74
Msg: 22 (view)

Obama's Cairo Speech...
Posted: 6/5/2009 3:01:56 PM
OK, conservatives. Where in that speech did he apologize for anything? I watched it, and don't remember hearing any apologies.
Oh, and specialheartedlady, you need to tone down your rehtoric. Religious fanaticism is the crux of the US "war on terror," and your sounding like a terrorist.
 pyro74
Msg: 65 (view)

Pharmacist defends store with gun. Charged with murder
Posted: 5/29/2009 8:03:02 PM
I see nothing wrong with what the employee did. He just made sure the threat was eliminated. This is kind of like splitting hairs. You give the employee the use of deadly force to defend himself, and now want to charge him with a crime because he did just that. Interesting.
 pyro74

Let's spend the money now, figure out how to pay later!
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:28:23 AM

You just need to keep the thing from crashing...worry about taking it new grand new heights later.

That is exactly what he is doing. Obama himself has said that our budget is unsustainable. He is very aware of the current situation, and has acted accordingly. Recovering from a recession takes time, and the current one is pretty deep. But hopefully with help from the stimulus we will emerge stronger on the otherside. Then we can tackle the budget again, but right now we don't have many options.
Since you brought this up. What would you have done? What's your solution? Why do you criticize the spending while offering no alternative?
 pyro74
Msg: 23 (view)

Rockets vs Lakers
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:43:33 AM
Nobody out west can beat the Lakers. The only teams with a chance to beat them in a seven game series are Orlando and Cleveland.
 pyro74
Msg: 14 (view)

SCAMS - for the guys
Posted: 5/7/2009 2:12:46 PM

Anyone been messaged by some chick thats in West Africa, but supposedly is from your city? Then a few weeks later says she's been arrested or robbed and needs money to get home? This has happened twice to me on here....damn scammers....

Fool me once, ...........shame on.................shame on you, ..............You fool me, you can't get fooled again.
 pyro74

Michael Savage-outlawed from traveling to the UK!
Posted: 5/5/2009 11:53:20 PM

That's what is scary here. The Government of Britain is deciding who is a threat based on what they think and not based on their criminal record.

So, that's a problem for you right-wingers now? It was perfectly OK when it only happened to Muslims, but now that it happened to Mike Savage, it's a problem? It's so sad, how pathetic and completely and totally insignificant the far right has become.
 pyro74

What do you think of the show Cheaters?
Posted: 4/23/2009 8:38:31 PM
I like how the host, Joey Greco, always vividly describes what's going on, on the video.
Joey: "I know this is hard to watch. See how he has her on all fours on your coffe-table? Her eyes rolled back in her head, she obviously really likes this guy."
 pyro74
Msg: 53 (view)

Spain vs the Bush 6
Posted: 4/23/2009 2:16:00 PM

These were people who sole purpose in life was the destruction of America and any one else who they didn't agree with.

Again, the overwhelming majority of the Gitmo detainees, have not, and will not be charged or tried on any charges whatsoever. You can argue whether or not torture is useful tool in interrogation, but you cannot deny the fact that America has held, and in some cases is still holding innocent people. Interesting how you you claim to be christian, but you have no problem with your government torturing innocent people.
 pyro74

Homeland Security report.
Posted: 4/21/2009 12:42:57 AM
Oh you sorry a$$ Rush/Hannity diciples. The complete 180 degree turnaround on homeland security your doing is hilarious. Probably should have listened to some of those "liberals" who told you stuff like this would come back to bite you in the a$$. So, are you going to go appologise to the ACLU now. They are the only ones who can save your sorry butts, now that the terrorism spot light is hitting a little too close to home. Interesting, your administration set the rules, and now that Obama is in office, you don't want to play by them anymore.
The conservative right has ZERO credibility. You guys are completely and totally insignificant.
 pyro74
Msg: 29 (view)

Spain vs the Bush 6
Posted: 4/20/2009 1:47:24 AM
So, out of all the people we released, only 18 are officially confirmed to have returned to fighting. I'll be honest. I'm surprised the number is so low. If I were swept up off my homeland and held for years without charges and occaisionally subjected to harsh interrorgation techniques. I could not wait to be released to exact some revenge on my captors or their interests.
As I said before. The number of people who actually turned out to be fighters or terrorists is so low, that Gitmo is just a giant eye-sore on this country and what it's suppose to represent. Thanks Bush/Chenney, great job.
 pyro74

Spain vs the Bush 6
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:51:33 PM

So, I guess we should interrogate enemy combatants of the United States using the "want some more milk and cookies?" tactic.
Ann Coulter was right about liberals citing study after study about how ineffective torture is. But if you ask to see the study it's like. No, we don't have it and why would you ask?
Oh by the way I know our enemies treat our prisoners with the greatest respect. I just felt all warm inside with the videos of Americans being beheaded. Didn't you?
How many of them did we behead? Or arbitrarily kill off the battle field?
This is the US. No other country has the right to impose thier half baked laws on us.
We treat our prisoners of war a zillion times better than the other side does. liberals need to realize that at times we have to use a little force to get things done.

Pathetic. Here are things on Gitmo you need to know.

The great majority of released detainees were innocent and once released, have not engaged in terrorist attacks on the US.

The detainees are SUSPECTS who have been ACCUSED of terrorism. They have not been convicted of any terrorist acts by a US court or military tribunal.

Most of the SUSPECTS were rounded up by warlords looking for a payoff, and alot of those suspects were drug users and other Afgahnni low-lifes.

Only 3 out of over 700 Gitmo detainees have actually been brought to trial.

You add all that up, and then add harsh interrogation techniques. We ( America ) have held and tortured innocent people. We could not have given the terrorists a better recruting tool than that. When talking about the war on terror, you really need to see the forest for the trees.
 pyro74
Msg: 3 (view)

Shyness is a fricken Curse
Posted: 4/9/2009 11:54:00 PM
Here's a random song quote that deals with your issue.

Shyness is nice and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
You'd like to

Shyness is nice and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
You'd like to

So, if there's something you'd like to try
If there's something you'd like to try
Ask me I wont say no, how could I? - The Smiths
 pyro74
Msg: 23 (view)

I needed help and my foster dog guarded me from the help!
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:26:31 PM
OP, my advice is to contact your emergency services, and have them flag your phone number(s). They need this info, and then they can send animal control to restrain the dog. Also you should probably have your dog be friendly with your neighbors, so they could restrain her should the situation arise. Other than that, sounds like you have a nice dog. Kudos on rescueing her.
Now to address some of these posts. Here's a quote from the OP:

<div class="quote">As a single woman,I am proud to have a dog who will protect me
Amazingly, people on here think that this dog did something wrong, that it is an agressive dog and needs professinal training. The dog did it's job, period. Even the most highly trained dogs will go into defensive mode with their master is down. And from the OP's other posts she herself states that the dog is trained. Why do some people completely ignore facts just to state their opinion?

<div class="quote">Now that your dog has learned he can "protect" you when you're down using aggression, he might apply it in other situations.
This has to be the most ignorant and completely clueless statement on this post. So wrong on so many levels. Do not take advice from this poster.
 pyro74
Msg: 4 (view)

The film Taken
Posted: 3/17/2009 8:48:10 PM
It was OK. You can't compare it to the Bourne series though. There was no character development, no substance, it just jumped right into the hunt, and ended abruptly right after he saved his daughter. I thought Liam did a good job as a tough guy though.
 pyro74
Msg: 3 (view)

Where do we go from here
Posted: 3/11/2009 5:29:44 PM
You think it's bad in your country? Wait until your national flag has a "Made in China" tag on it, like we have here in the good ol' US of A.
 pyro74
Msg: 7 (view)

OK guys, what's your number 1 guy movie?
Posted: 2/4/2009 4:46:08 AM
OK, my number 1 guy movie is "Swingers." It's not an action, adventure, but it's definately a guy movie. It's especially good after a break-up.
 pyro74

Woman who gave birth to octuplets already has six young children
Posted: 1/30/2009 5:51:18 PM
Here's the article. What your thoughts?

WHITTIER, Calif. – How in the world does a woman with six children get a fertility doctor to help her have more — eight more? An ethical debate erupted Friday after it was learned that the Southern California woman who gave birth to octuplets this week had six children already. Large multiple births "are presented on TV shows as a 'Brady Bunch' moment.

They're not," fumed Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania. He noted the serious and sometimes lethal complications and crushing medical costs that often come with high-multiple births.

But Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg, who has fertility clinics in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and New York, countered: "Who am I to say that six is the limit? There are people who like to have big families."

Kaiser Permanente announced the mega-delivery Monday in Bellflower, with delighted doctors saying they had initially expected seven babies and were surprised when the cesarean section yielded an eighth.

Multiple births this big are considered impossible without fertility treatment, but the doctors who delivered the babies would not say whether the 33-year-old woman had used fertility drugs or had embryos implanted in her womb.

However, the children's grandmother, Angela Suleman, was quoted as telling the Los Angeles Times that her daughter had embryos implanted last year, and never intended to give birth to eight, but "they all happened to take." Suleman said her daughter rejected an offer from doctors to abort some of the embryos.

More common among younger women is the use of fertility drugs that stimulate egg production; doctors are supposed to monitor budding eggs and stop the drugs if too many develop.

Some medical experts were disturbed to hear that the woman was offered fertility treatment, and troubled by the possibility that she was implanted with so many embryos.

Dr. David Adamson, former president of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, said he was bracing for some backlash against his specialty.

In 30 years of practice, "I have never provided fertility treatment to a woman with six children," or ever heard of a similar case, said Adamson, director of Fertility Physicians of Northern California.

Women seeking fertility treatment are routinely asked to give a detailed history of prior pregnancies and births, and "it's a very realistic question to ask about someone who has six children: How does this fit into the concept of requiring fertility treatment?" Adamson said.

The woman's fertility doctor has not been identified. The hospital has not released the mother's name, citing her desire for privacy. There was no immediate information on whether she is married or who the father of the babies is. Her six other children range in age from 2 to 7.

Records show that she held a psychiatric technician's license from 1997 to 2002. It was unclear whether she is now employed.

It was only the second time in U.S. history that eight babies survived more than a few hours after birth. The six boys and two girls were said to be in remarkably good condition but were expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.

The mother of the octuplets lives with her parents in a modest, single-story home on a quiet cul-de-sac in Whittier, a Los Angeles suburb of about 85,000. Children's bicycles, a pink car and a wagon were scattered in the yard and driveway.

On Thursday night, the children's grandfather came to the door and angrily told reporters to leave the property.

Court records show Suleman filed for bankruptcy last March, but after she failed to make required payments and appear at a creditors' meeting, the case was dismissed. She reported liabilities of $981,371, mostly money owed on two houses she owns in Whittier.

The births were a hot topic of conversation on the Internet, with many people incredulous that a woman with six children would try to have more — and that a doctor would help her do so. Some criticized the doctor and suggested that the mother would be overwhelmed trying to raise her brood and would end up relying on public support.

Jessica Zepeda, who identified herself as a friend of the mother, said the woman and family would have enough money to raise 14 children. "She is not on welfare," Zepeda said. "She is an awesome mom, and will be able to take care of her babies."

Several doctors said it is not their role to dictate family size.

"I am not a policeman for reproduction in the United States. My role is to educate patients," said Dr. James Grifo, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the New York University School of Medicine.

But Caplan said not enough attention is paid to the well-being of the children in high-multiple births. Such babies are often premature and underdeveloped, and are almost always found to have some health problem.

Caplan said everyone has a stake in mega-multiple births because they cause insurance premiums to rise when hospitals cannot get reimbursed for the huge costs such babies incur, and because those with disabilities typically require social services.

"To say all you need is cash and the will to have more kids should not be a sufficient standard to access services," he said. "It is insufficient for adoption. It isn't sufficient to be a foster parent. Why would it be sufficient to run down to the fertility clinic to get embryos transplanted or super-ovulated?"

A few years ago, Caplan and others did a survey of U.S. fertility clinics. They found few had policies for deciding whether to help a woman get pregnant. Most clinics said they had patients meet with financial coordinators, but only 18 percent had them see a social worker or psychologist.

With in vitro fertilization, doctors frequently implant more than one embryo to improve the odds that one will take. Mothers-to-be who are found to be pregnant with several babies are given the option of aborting some of them to increase the chances the others will survive.

The U.S. fertility industry has guidelines on how many embryos doctors can implant, with the number varying by age and other factors. The guidelines call for no more than one or two for a generally healthy woman under 35, and no more than three to five, depending on the embryos' maturity, for women over 40.

If eight embryos were implanted at once, that is "well beyond our guidelines," Dr. R. Dale McClure, president of the reproductive medicine society, said in a statement.

Clinics that clearly violate guidelines can be kicked out of another group, the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology, which in turn affects whether insurance covers their services. But the guidelines do not have the force of law.
 pyro74

Truly outrageous
Posted: 1/27/2009 3:41:45 AM
It's sad, tragic, unfortunate chain of events. I wouldn't call it outrageous. The city electric company bears no responsibility. I guess if you really wanted to blame somebody, then the neighbors were just as guilty as the electric co. Funny how they are angry at the city, but they knew how old the guy was, and didn't bother checking in on him.

Show ALL Forums