Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Trying to lose the baby weight
 imjayzee
Msg: 58 (view)

Trying to lose the baby weight
Posted: 9/22/2012 7:00:07 PM
High quickly-digested carbs in the first meal and low carbs the rest of the day works very well. The first cheat meal keeps your body from going into survival/conservation mode and stopping weight loss. Low carbs the rest of the day helps you lose weight.

It's great because you get to cheat everyday and lose weight.
 imjayzee
Msg: 31 (view)

Consumption of Protein while dropping weight
Posted: 4/12/2012 2:04:19 AM
Aristotle,

He'll get faster fat loss results by dieting to lose weight, and weight training to rebuild muscle. Yes, you lose muscle by dieting to lose weight, there's no getting around that because the body doesn't selectively just lose fat. But by weight training, you're constantly rebuilding lost muscle. The net result is fat loss while keeping existing muscle levels or, for a beginner, building up to slightly higher muscle levels.

Now, during the process, weight loss might stop as the body adapts. What is required then are a few consecutive high calorie meals(some call it a cheat day) to reset the body back to non-conservation mode, and then the diet can continue working until the next stall, then another cheat day, and so on and so forth. It's interesting to note this, that falling off the wagon for a day occasionally actually allows your diet to continue working long term.

Once he reaches his acceptable level of bodyfat, he can increase food a bit to a point conducive to muscle growth. At this state, this would yield faster muscle building results.
 imjayzee
Msg: 13 (view)

Consumption of Protein while dropping weight
Posted: 4/10/2012 1:02:22 AM
You lose fat by simply dieting to lose weight and weight training to rebuild muscle lost through dieting. The net result is fat loss. Cardio isn't even necessary. Just incorporate metabolically stimulating weight training exercises such as squats and your metabolism will speed up enough to lose weight.

While trying to lose weight, don't worry about protein too much. Your focus is on weight loss. Just try to eat a balanced, smaller portioned diet so that you lose weight. A balanced diet will already have protein in it. That should be enough to rebuild muscle lost through weight loss because rebuilding muscle is easier than building it.

After you've lost the fat you're looking to lose, you can increase your protein consumption a bit to help you build muscle. Focusing on either fat loss or muscle gain at a time will give you faster results than trying to do both at the same time.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 102 (view)

Deepthroating help!!!
Posted: 4/8/2012 11:04:02 PM

I like when he lays down on his back and I'm on top sucking him, because I have more control of it that way.

lol. I'm always able to turn myself on by just thinking about how hard a guy is for me. I do the same thing when I'm having sex with a guy, only I usually say my thoughts out loud. It turns both me and him on:) I usually say things like "I love it when your big, hard, C*** is inside me!" or "Is that big, hard, C*** for me?" lol:)

I think I love you!

She's marriage material, isn't she?
 imjayzee
Msg: 11 (view)

Good exercises for bad knees
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:50:11 AM
OP,

The exercise to save you is "Stiff-legged" deadlifts(or Romanian deadlifts). Your legs are not maintained straight or stiff, they're almost straight, with a slight bend at the knees. You can do them with heavy dumbbells or a heavy barbell. This exercise will rev your metabolism if you strive to get stronger in it, and will help you lose weight.
 imjayzee
Msg: 22 (view)

looking for some help. i work out but it isnt showing
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:29:25 AM
OP,

First of all, realize this: Eating smaller portions makes you lose weight. Weight training rebuilds muscle lost through dieting. Cardio, as the name says, is mainly for cardio-vascular fitness, and it is inefficient at burning a lot of calories. Hold off on the cardio for now. For your present goals, you only need to eat smaller portions to lose weight, and weight train to rebuild lost muscle through dieting.

Your snacks count as meals too because they have calories, so since you're going to eat smaller meals, it's good that you snack in between. Try to make your snacks a little bigger.

As far as your weight training, big mistake doing cardio before weight training. Stop the cardio for now, it doesn't burn many calories. Also, don't neglect your legs with weight training. They're the most important to train when trying to lose weight. Why is your weight training taking an hour and a half? Intense weight training shouldn't take this long. What is your weekly weight training routine exactly?

After you lose the weight, you'll be ready to build more muscle, which just requires eating slightly bigger food portions for a slight weight gain per month.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 45 (view)

How to date an American man?? European woman needs help
Posted: 4/11/2011 1:35:45 AM
OP,

Don't assume anything. Some people go out with one person at a time, others go out with different people at a time. It doesn't make one right and the other wrong, they're just different in thinking. Also, a kiss doesn't mean commitment. Sex doesn't mean commitment. AGREEING TO BE COMMITTED MEANS COMMITMENT. Again, don't assume anything, communication is the key.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 183 (view)

Muscular women... Turn-on or off?
Posted: 12/27/2010 12:04:37 AM
Muscular lower bodies, yes, muscular upper bodies, no. So I guess that would be a gymnast type for me.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 12 (view)

How much/what type of strength/power/training for marathon?
Posted: 12/5/2010 10:27:03 PM
I doubt any type of strength training will be beneficial for a marathon. Strength training and marathon running are at opposite ends of the spectrum, with little to no carry-over to each other. Like FranknStein mentioned, they actually hinder each other. The only thing I can think of that might be of benefit is running long distances with a weight vest, or ankle weights. Maybe some calisthenics for the upperbody such as push-ups and pull-ups to prevent some upperbody muscle loss.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 14 (view)

Are you becoming a penny pincher?
Posted: 11/14/2010 1:32:53 PM

Yes ImJayZee this should be in another forum. I got too much in a rush when I posted it. It was actually meant for "Off Topic". It would be nice if we could delete our own post and then redo it in the right topic such as you can do in Yahoo Answers yet that doesn't seem to be the case on POF.

I've always tried to pinch pennies any way that I could. I have seen some really unique ideas lately that I've never thought of so I decided to post this thread to see what other unique ideas there are out there to save money.

I have a grandson (17) who wanted to dress like his peers at school yet his mom said she could not afford the designer clothing that he wanted. He buys designer clothes off EBAY for extremely good bargains and he always looks great. If you can teach a kid to look for bargains then you know you are doing a pretty good job. He is actually like that about everything.

Cool.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 12 (view)

Are you becoming a penny pincher?
Posted: 11/13/2010 11:28:47 PM
Shouldn't this be on another forum?
 ImJayZee
Msg: 120 (view)

Responsibility for pregnancy from a fling or one-night-stand
Posted: 11/7/2010 1:02:24 PM
If it's a woman's choice in having it or not, it should be her responsibility.

She shouldn't have it both ways, but she does.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 55 (view)

How to look big and muscular?
Posted: 11/3/2010 3:45:46 PM

The problem with following what they did is that the only bodybuilders that people know from back then (reg park, john grimek, steve reeves) were the genetic freaks of their time (and still weren't overly large) the rest of the normal people who followed those programs really didn't end up looking that impressive.

A training program like bill starrs 5X5, or westside for skinny **stards are both great, newer programs that will help a person build strength and some size.

Just "some size"? That doesn't sound "that impressive" either. Two people can do a program you listed, and one can look impressive and one not that impressive too. My point was what is very effective - focusing on a handful of basic compound exercises(maybe a couple of isolation ex.'s), pushing yourself on them, and getting enough food and rest - the common thread of effective programs for naturals. True, many powerlifting programs focus on these also. Good addition.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 37 (view)

How to look big and muscular?
Posted: 10/23/2010 2:10:07 AM
OP,

To learn how to become muscularly bigger naturally, do yourself a favor and look at the pre-steroid era bodybuilders of the 40's and 50's for advice, because after that era, steroids polluted training.

What did bodybuilders of that era similarly do? They trained with about a half dozen predominantly compound exercises that worked multiple muscle groups each. These exercises trained the whole body each workout, and they did these whole body workouts about 3 times a week, each workout lasting about 1 hour. A sample workout is:
Squats
Bench press
Bent-over rows
Shoulder press
Weighted Chin-ups
Calf raises

Do 2-3 heavy sets each exercise. Try to get stronger weekly.

Don't worry about the marathon-length routines and the infinite number of bodypart splits after that era, they were influenced by steroid using bodybuilders.

Nutrition-wise, they tried to eat enough natural food to gain about 1 lb. of bodyweight a week. If after a couple of months you find yourself gaining too much fat, cut back on portions a little.

Get sufficient sleep.

This might seem too basic, but when trying to get back on track, most go back to the basics. Why? Because the basics work - they are proven. There's too much creativity and lies in bodybuilding. All they do is create confusion. This confusion is necessary to keep supplements and magazines in business.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 7 (view)

Guys: how much cardio on weight training for cutting?
Posted: 10/1/2010 7:36:26 PM
If you do heavy 20 rep squats as part of your workouts, and get stronger in them, there's no need to do cardio at all. The reason for this is because getting progressively stronger with 20 rep squats speeds up your metabolism. A fast metabolism is much more effective at losing weight than cardio is. Naturally lean people are lean because they have a fast metabolism, not because they do cardio everyday.

What I would do if I were you, would be 2 total body workouts a week, or every 3-4 days. Here's a sample workout:

1. 20 rep squats
2. bench press
3. barbell row
4. barbell seated military press
5. machine pullover
6. bicep curls
7. calf raises

Do a couple of heavy sets each exercise. Exercises 2-7 can be in the 6-10 rep range. Get progressively stronger weekly. Your metabolism won't increase if you don't get stronger. Eat cleanly, and you'll lose weight as your metabolism increases.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 154 (view)

Do women like men who like Feet?
Posted: 9/2/2010 9:00:39 PM
To help women understand, being turned on by women's nice feet goes back to being able to look at them during sex, like when her feet are up in the air. So they're easily put in a sexual context.

Women have said they're turned on by guys with nice butts because they can grab them, like while on their backs, and continually pull them in(essentially repeatedly pushing the guys **** in). Same thing, it's a sexual reminder, therefore, a turn-on.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 3 (view)

Cutting Calories
Posted: 8/19/2010 5:11:44 PM
OP,

We need to know around how many calories you're consuming daily to be able to tell you. I'm assuming you're not consuming a low number of daily calories, so you can cut a lot of calories to lose weight faster, but tell us how many you're consuming daily right now.

Eventually you'll get down to lower calories and you'll reach a weight loss plateau. At that point, your body thinks it's in starvation/survival mode. What you start doing is having a non-diet day every 2 weeks or every week, depending on frequency of weight loss plateaus. If the plateaus happen every 2 weeks, have one non-diet day every 2 weeks, if the plateaus happen every week, have a non-diet day once a week. These non-diet days tell your body that you're not on a diet, thereby, allowing your lower calorie days to continue to allow you to lose weight.

I noticed you're into weight training. Continue weight training to maintain muscle and not get that skinny-fat flabby look at the end of your weight loss.
 ImJayZee

tripcep questions
Posted: 7/22/2010 8:23:11 PM
OP,

I'm assuming you're referring, like most women, to the triceps area that touches your side when your arm is down at your side(I figure after 5 years of lifting you've done chest presses or shoulder presses which have built up the rest of your triceps a little). If this is the case, then you want to do triceps exercises where your arms are overhead, such as overhead triceps extensions with a db or barbell. They can also be done with a cable attached to a bar or a rope. Arms overhead type exercises hit that area nicely.

Muscle is built both from heavy weight and from moderate weight. Although there's some overlap, heavy weight increases more of the actual muscle fibers, while moderate weight for more reps increases more of the energy-related volume of the muscle. I don't know if you've noticed, but bodybuilders in general are more muscular than powerlifters because they utilize both heavy weights and moderate weights to receive both benefits of muscle size.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 10 (view)

Protein for breakfast
Posted: 7/11/2010 9:36:30 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought protien was a nutrient the body needs to repair the strain your daily activities place on the muscle's, nothing to do with weight loss.
Also forgive me if I'm wrong but when you digest Protien with fats, your body goes after the fats first and leaves alot of the protien to be flushed away unabsorbed?

It aids in weight loss indirectly, where it helps you feel a little satisfied while on a fat and carb deficit diet, not to mention preserving your calorie-burning muscle while on that diet.

An energy macro-nutrient such as carbs or fat would actually spare the protein so that it is used for repair or building. The times when some protein is unabsorbed and excreted is when too much of it is consumed. The question then becomes, how much is too much? And that is too hard to answer, it depends on many factors such as the amount of muscle damage you create, your existing amount of muscle, metabolism, calorie deficits, etc., but many lifters do well from between half their lean bodyweight in grams of protein to about an equal amount of grams as lean bodyweight a day spread out over all your meals. You'll have to experiment with different amounts over extended periods to see what's the minimum amount you can get away with.
 ImJayZee

Giving your body a rest
Posted: 6/18/2010 9:23:10 PM

yeah... what Jayzee just said...
follow that!
good posting dude

Thanks. It was just reiterating what you said in part of your post, but since it's good info., I felt like it should be repeated.

I think it should be a sticky in every fitness forum on the net. It would save a lot of people a lot of frustration and wasted time with plateaus.

Good info. on Cycling of Carbs too. That's very effective for weight loss.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 4 (view)

Giving your body a rest
Posted: 6/17/2010 1:11:37 PM
OP,

If you've been working your body hard for a few months, then you need a week off from training to let fatigue dissipate and let your body recover from hard training. During an extended period of intensely building fitness, you also accumulate fatigue to the point of needing a short period of rest to get rid of that fatigue, and to be able to continue making future progress. If this isn't done, you reach a plateau, sticking point, overtraining, burn-out, etc. You can research the theory behind this, it's called the Dual Factor Theory(one factor being fitness, the other being fatigue).

Weight loss works in a similar fashion. After a period of restricting calories, your metabolism slows down, and you reach a weight loss plateau, at which time, you need a high carb/high calorie cheat day to rev your metabolism and hormones back to normal, which in turn, allows your restricted calorie diet to continue working. Most have a cheat day once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Don't worry about weight gain during your week off. It will most likely be water and glycogen(muscle sugar), which is pretty much your body replenishing itself. Even if you gained some fat, it would actually be beneficial in the long run because it would help in speeding up your metabolism back to normal. You would lose the fat quickly after, and much more once you resume your diet and workouts. I'd suggest a cheat day or 2 at the end of your period off, right before returning to dieting and working out.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 38 (view)

cardio, weightlifting, or diet
Posted: 6/16/2010 4:27:54 PM
OP,

Your metabolism has slowed down because of your calorie deficit. The body adjusts to conditions for survival. Eventhough your activity level has remained high, your body has become efficient at using less energy to perform at that activity level by slowing your metabolism down.

You need to have a high calorie/high carb cheat day or two as soon as possible to get your metabolism and hormones back up to normal. Especially high in carbs, like junk carbs. This is necessary. This will allow your calorie deficit diet to continue working when you get back on it. You might gain a couple of pounds of water and glycogen(muscle sugar) weight after your cheat days, but don't worry, you'll lose that weight and more when your calorie deficit diet continues working again.

Then after this, have a cheat day at least every 2 weeks where you eat high calorie/high carb the whole day. If you notice your weight loss stall weekly, then have a cheat day once a week.

This will get you back on track with weight loss.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 14 (view)

Home vs. Gym
Posted: 6/2/2010 12:29:13 AM
OP,

You can definitely get in good shape at home. It's not really about equipment, it's about consistency and pushing yourself to improve.

For now, you can start out with an upperbody pulling movement, an upperbody pushing movement, and a leg movement. You can get a cheap doorway chin-up bar for chin-ups, eventually moving to single arm chin-ups. You can do upside-down handstand presses with your feet high on a wall. For legs you can do single-legged squats while holding on to a chair or table with one hand for balance.

Eventually, you can get a long chain from the hardware store, a metal ring or clip, and attach weight plates to the chain wrapped around your waist for weighted chin-ups. You can see a demo of the weighted chain around your waist on Youtube. Maybe you can get a used elderly person walker and do weighted dips on there. Or instead of doorway chin-up bar and walker, you can get a chin/dip tower, which aren't too expensive. You can do weighted single-legged squats while standing on a sturdy box, or side ways on steps to allow the weight plates to go below the floor level.

Mainly, in relation to your torso, a vertical pushing movement(handstand presses or overhead press with a barbell), a horizontal pushing movement(or dip), a vertical pulling movement(chin-up), a horizontal pulling movement(or bent over row with a barbell), and a single-legged squatting exercise should cover most of your muscle groups. You might want to buy a weight bar with plates to facilitate the vertical pushing movement and the horizontal pulling movement.

You don't have to spend a lot of money, and you can add training accessories as you're able to.
 ImJayZee

How do you toughening your grip?
Posted: 4/29/2010 2:03:49 PM
Pain during gripping sounds more like carpal tunnel, tendonitis, arthritis, or something causing pain. Weakness doesn't really cause a lot pain. A weak grip will maybe just burn a little or feel a little numb before you grip gives out. So you might want to have your hands checked out.

Training should be specific to what you want to improve. To improve gripping heavy bars, you have to grip overly heavy bars. In a squat rack with lower supports, or on lower supports alone, load a barbell at mid-thigh height with as much weight as you can grip for around 20 seconds only(the average length of a set of reps). Grip the bar, stand up straight with it, hold it, and try to improve your holding time to 40 seconds, then next time, increase weight, and try improve holding time to 40 seconds again, and so on and so forth.

As you can see, strengthening your grip of heavy bars will have you holding on to overly heavy barbells, which will also cause you pain, so get your hands looked at.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 23 (view)

What goes in my mouth
Posted: 3/12/2010 4:37:45 AM

A person can absolutely associate food as having to be pleasurable, and also having to be nutritional. They are not exclusive, unless you're too dumb or lazy to cook. I'll admit there's the occasional time when I am pressed for time, know I need to eat, and grab a chicken patty and a slice of cheese and walk out the door. Rare, but it happens.

Nutrition is always supposed to be the most important aspect of food, but there's no need to eat something that tastes disgusting, even if it is nutritious. Eating junk isn't bad because it's 'high in calories', it's bad because it's has no nutritional value.

She doesn't seem that interested in advice. She wants pills, not a diverse diet. Switch out potatoes for spaghetti squash with butter and basil. Make nut based breads and flavoured mayonnaise from scratch for fantastic open faced chicken salad sandwiches. Steam broccoli, kale, celery, and onion, puree, simmer with vegetable broth (NOT made from boullion), add sage, basil, garlic, and parsley, top with some swiss cheese and shredded chicken. Pickle tomatoes and red onion in a white wine vinegar, drain, toss with almond oil, oregano, shredded mozzarella, and beef tenderloin. Sautee bell peppers, julienned carrots, red onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes, top with broiled flank steak. But I don't think she wants to do any of that. She's 'too short to be over 125'. She's not concerned about her health, she's focused on a meaningless number. Why give advice to someone who doesn't really want it?

Generally, any sauce you buy is full of sugar and other crap not worth eating. I don't see the point in adding unhealthy food, even in small amounts to healthy food to make it more enjoyable.

Why are you addressing me in the first place? Where did I ever say sauces? A single butter spray? You're just like the OP, wanting attention. Get a clue. I thought you had after realizing OP didn't want advice. All we can do is try. But read all the posts after your initial post.

Like I said, congrats on your perfect diet, no one cares, especially not the OP. People who just want attention need a harsh reality check. Like I said, address OP, not me. Thank you.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 8 (view)

What goes in my mouth
Posted: 3/10/2010 7:42:33 AM
Why do we have taste buds if food isn't supposed to be enjoyable? That's as dumb as saying sex isn't supposed to be enjoyable- it's a function for reproduction.

You can still eat healthy and eat well. I would never advocate eating '0 calorie butter spray'- talk about junk!!! I eat exceptionally well, and I don't crave 'junk.' But, I make everything from scratch, and for myself, I never use sugar (or honey, agave nectar, etc), wheat, or any corn derivative.

What's dumb is you not knowing there's a difference between what is pleasureable junk food and what is enjoyable healthy food. I suggested giving healthy food taste with spices. That was to make it, uh, enjoyable. The occasional butter spray is the least of someone's worries if it gets them eating healthy foods rather than junk.

Congratulations on your diet, BUT after RE-reading her posts, what's your solution for her?
 ImJayZee

Tendonitis???
Posted: 3/10/2010 7:22:20 AM

I did a light workout last night, my first in a month. Legs are a little wobbly today but the elbow was fine through out the exercise and this morning. I even did 46 pushups with reasonably good form, (across three sets with 16 on the last set). This is impressive for me as I hate doing them and have never been very good at them; I’m still getting a twinge now and then but the intensity is way down, almost don’t notice them anymore.

With previous pain, I would go against the high-rep route in case it's an over-use injury. I would do the low-volume high intensity route with a moderate-rep warm-up set and a moderate-rep heavy set to failure once a week per exercise, just to keep total work down, but still allow for progressive overload. But if you continue that way, keep us posted how it goes with your elbow.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 4 (view)

What goes in my mouth
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:40:33 AM
This is where starting meals with a cup or 2 of mainly green vegetables like cabbage, spinach, brocolli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. with 0 calorie butter spray, pepper, hot sauces, spices, low-salt seasonings, etc. comes in. I'm guessing you don't like these since you didn't mention veggies. The problem is that you associate food as having to be pleasureable. Eating is just a bodily function, it's not supposed to be a pleasureable. Don't get me wrong, we should give bland food taste so we don't end up hating it, but pleasureable tasting junk is junk, and no matter how little of it you're eating, it's still preventing you from losing weight because it's very high in calories. If you must have it, limit it to one meal a week to keep you sane.

Outside of this, I would google safe appetite suppressants for items which might suppress your hunger.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 5 (view)

Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/4/2010 12:47:50 PM
OP,

Firstly, start using chalk on those exercises. Most of the time when you're getting close to the limits of grip strength, the moisture in your palms causes you to lose grip before your actual grip strength does. This should at least help your pulldown grip for a good while longer.

For shrugs and deadlifts, after your grip gives out even with chalk, use some wrist straps for those exercises. Work on grip strength seperately as a final exercise. Unless you plan on entering powerlifting competitions where wrist straps aren't allowed, there's no point in you not using wrist straps and slowing your progress down on deadlifts and shrugs.

As for improving grip strength for deadlifts and shrugs, the best way to do it for those exercises is in a similar way as the grip you'll be using in those exercises, that way the improvement in grip transfers over directly and completely. That means heavy barbell holds. As a final exercise, overload a barbell on supports at mid-thigh height in a squat rack with more weight than what you use on deadlifts or shrugs, chalk up, grab the bar off the supports, and just try to hold it for as long as it takes you to do a set. Repeat a couple more "sets". Increase weight progressively every workout. If you eventually find the weight too heavy on your shoulders because you pre-exhausted your traps with shrugs prior to this exercise, skip shrugs before this exercise. This exercise will function as your trap exercise also by just keeping your shoulder girdle at normal level.
 ImJayZee

Tendonitis???
Posted: 3/2/2010 11:34:09 PM
The Paleo diet is supposed to be good to keep body inflammation(conditions that end in -itis) down. I was on it for a few months last summer, but not during cold months. I'm probably going to go back on it to see if it helps. You might want to look into it.

Correction: It's the increased intake of EPA and DHA Omega-3 fats, not the diet itself, that is supposed to reduce tissue inflammation. Flaxseed oil doesn't seem to contain much of these, mainly only ALA Omega-3 fat. Maybe that's why it didn't help much. Fish oil does though. I guess I'll switch over to fish oil and see if that helps.

Here's the link: http://thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/omega3.shtml
 ImJayZee
Msg: 6 (view)

Tendonitis???
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:32:25 PM
I did something to my elbow, (muscle or tendon across the elbow and not the joint), and haven’t lift for more than a month. At first I thought I had pulled a muscle. I dropped pulling movements as that seemed to aggravate the soreness. Finally I stopped all upper body weight training. Even after a month of not lifting simple pushing movement like shutting a sticking door cause a twinge of pain in the elbow, although it seems much better today. Sometimes just having the arm at an odd angle causes a twinge too.

What really sucks is it is in my dominate arm, so I am using it perhaps more than I should.

A long time lifter suggested to me that it might be tendonitis.

I did a web search but I am not sure.

So for you weight lifters, have you ever had been diagnosis with tendonitis?
How long was it before you could lift again?

I don’t mind lifting through pain as long as I am not incurring greater injury doing so!

I have the same thing on both inside elbow forearm tendons. Hurts on all pulling and curling movements. Haven't had it for longer than a couple of months. I'm wondering if it's like my arthritis, worse in cold months, and not as bad in the temperate or warm months. Essential Fatty Acids haven't seemed to help.

The Paleo diet is supposed to be good to keep body inflammation(conditions that end in -itis) down. I was on it for a few months last summer, but not during cold months. I'm probably going to go back on it to see if it helps. You might want to look into it.

I'm going to continue lifting as long as I can grip the bar. If I injure them, I'll let you know, lol.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 9 (view)

How does sex factor into your decision making on relationships?
Posted: 2/24/2010 8:11:21 PM
This sounds like more of an actual dilemma women face, not really men, so the responses will probably mostly be opposite. I think most women would pick Man B, but unless she's ugly or fat, I'd pick Lady A. If men go with Lady B, I think most will end up cheating on her with a Lady A type.

What do they say? Something along the lines of, the way into a woman's underwear is through her heart, the way into a man's heart is through his underwear. Opposites.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 19 (view)

Just friends? Really?
Posted: 2/24/2010 7:38:21 AM

First of all...........if you are really looking for "just friends", you should not be talking to men. They are ALWAYS going to try to take if further. History has shown us that men and women can probably not be just friends. There is always going to be the sex thing out there. I mean think about it. Why would a man and women want to be "just friends?" Are there not enough people in your own sex to be friends with? Men and women are put together to be with each other in a loving, caring, physical, affectionate way.

True. Most men don't want females as platonic friends, they already have enough friends for that, it's called their male friends.

For women who want male friends, though, there is men who want females as platonic friends, the ones who also like men themselves. Women won't have a problem with them trying to take it too far.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 18 (view)

Just friends? Really?
Posted: 2/24/2010 7:27:29 AM

Guys that do that would like to think that they could be the one to change your mind. It presents a challenge to them and doesn't necessarily mean they find you alluring because it is just about sex. They seem to think that if they take you out for dinner and a movie that you should reciprocate the gestures with a little nooky on the side. That is so pathetic. I happen to think if they want to be totally foolish about THAT, that they can cut out the dinner and a movie and go looking for a hooker. End of story.

Let me enlighten you. 99% of guys don't want to be with dirty hookers.
 ImJayZee

Animal Pump
Posted: 2/23/2010 11:25:27 PM

If nutrition is solid and your still lifting the same way you did when you stopped, probably nothing to significant, unless you were using mono cr.

Mono cr. will make you hold some intracellar/intramuscular h2o and minor subcutanious h2o, so when you stop using you will lose this water.

With animal pump its mostly esterfied cr. which will normally keep you more "dry looking" than mono cr. So this loss will be minimal.

Again strength/muscle gains should not go down significantly if you train and eat the same as you were when you were taking it.

Coo. And I'm guessing the benefits are the same with esterfied as with mono.?
 ImJayZee
Msg: 24 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/22/2010 8:57:52 PM
There's hardly any muscle on the side of the hip bones. If anything is really growing at hip level with squats, it's the butt(obviously legs also, but those are below the hips). If you have a good layer of fat around the hips, this might give the impression the hips are getting wider because the circumference around the hips got bigger. The "side effect" from heavy leg work is eventually lost for all, and it actually helps you stay lean in the long run, you just have to continue to get stronger to get lean. The links and quotes were addressing those who squat probably twice or more of their bodyweight for reps, because their waist can get too wide if they have a naturally blocky wide-waist build.
 ImJayZee

Animal Pump
Posted: 2/19/2010 11:58:18 PM

I have said this before and I will say it again (my results are not scientific bacause I was 15-18 then and 26 now)

In high school with out creatine it took me 4 years to go from 95x10 lb bench to 180x3 lb bench

In collage I lost all the muscle and after collage I started lifting again with creatine
115x10 lb bench to 175x10 in 4 months and I am still gaining like crazy. When I do stop taking creatine for a week or so I do lose some endurance but no strenght. i.e. 175 doesnt feel heavier but I am exausted by rep 8 and cant quite make 10 .

The gains after college were probably mostly muscle memory. Once you've reached a certain size and strength level, it's much easier and faster to re-gain back up to that level. That's muscle memory. You should monitor results with creatine at the 180 lbs. bench strength level, and thereafter, since that's what you got up to before creatine.
 ImJayZee

Animal Pump
Posted: 2/19/2010 9:44:47 AM

Creatine can be dangerous make sure you read about cycling it in and out of your diet! If you use it properly and time it just right you may squeeze an extra one or two reps out of your heavy lifts. That extra one or two reps makes all the difference in the world in an anaerobic weight lifting workout.

And what happens if you stop using it? I mean, carbs, protein, and fats will always be in your diet when you lift, but not necessarily supplements, so for those who decide to stop using it, what can be expected?
 ImJayZee
Msg: 15 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/18/2010 4:07:34 PM
thanks all i do the "stairwell at the gym for 20mins" and the arch trainer and treadmill and i do alot of reps with low weights hopefully in time i will see some improvement :)

You'll get faster and better results if you do heavy(for you) weight, and if you continue to get stronger. Getting stronger is what speeds up your metabolism. A faster metabolism burns fat 24hrs. a day, 7 days a week. Cardio does very little of that. As long as you're on a diet, you'll lose fat and tone much faster by getting stronger. For a few, their legs get a little bigger at first because the tone muscle pushes out on the fat a little, but after they continue with this method, they WILL lose the fat faster, and their leg size goes down, and what's left is tone muscle. There's a lot of myths and misinformation on how best to achieve this, but building a fast metabolism is much better for this than avoiding building a fast metabolism. Listen to people such as Scott, Jaqi, BP, etc., they're already where you want to be, and they also recommend getting stronger.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 11 (view)

What's wrong with my arm?
Posted: 2/16/2010 10:50:24 PM

The exercise is very similar to a dumbell row. The vids I found, they are a bit more upright than a normal row. Seems like it would hit the back area more than chest, even in the modified position.

That sounds closer to an upright row, but the way she described it the second time, to me it sounds like a chest flye, except standing up. Maybe the person who introduced it to her thought you can substitute an upright machine chest flye with db's doing it upright, and it would still be a chest exercise.
 imjayzee
Msg: 2 (view)

Animal Pump
Posted: 2/15/2010 11:58:08 PM
Isnt all creatine the same? Whats added to this one that makes it different? I thought of taking creatine a long time ago, but heard that you shrink back down if you stop taking it, so never saw the point.
 imjayzee

What's wrong with my arm?
Posted: 2/15/2010 11:38:24 PM
What are db chest pulls? Do you mean chest flyes, where you lie down and do and undo a hugging motion with your arms? If so, it sounds like a rotator cuff or shoulder joint strain. You probably went too far back with the db's. The shoulder joint isnt very flexible when the arm is pulled back behind the body. Its going to need some time to heal. Dont do exercises that hurt til it heals.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 91 (view)

anything besides steroids??
Posted: 2/10/2010 4:09:23 PM

How much progress is progress? 1 rep? 5 lbs? previous best with better form? How large of jumps should I be making in a lift/rest/lift session?

Compared to what your doing my weights are nothing ie 2 days ago I did 175x8 on bench when my previous best was 175x6 only 4 days earler. yesterday I managed to do 135x12 on incline when my previous best was 135x6 (this was a day after setting a new record on flat bench) In fact if I take a week off to recover I generaly lose strenght when I come back. Although I will admit before I started eating all the protien (thanks again Scott, I think the the trueprotien stuff is actually better then the expensive GNC stuff) I did have a day where I was unable to bet my previous on lat pull down(150 x10x10x8 vs. 150 x10x9x7 it was a very sad day for me becuase I love lat pull down :'(), but it has only happened once in 3 or 4 months now.

Any progress is progress. There's no set numbers. The amount can vary between different people, between different training levels, between different training methods, between different exercises, between different muscles, etc. Too many factors to list. What's important is that it's happening.

In your case, you're making very good progress, keep it up. Don't worry about one exercise not improving during one workout, that will happen. Look at the whole workout. If the lat pulldown stagnates again, prioritize it by putting it first in the workout if possible, when your energy is fresh.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 88 (view)

anything besides steroids??
Posted: 2/9/2010 8:03:09 PM
How do you know when your body is recovered? When I do 3 sets of 10 I am sore for only maybe 2-3 hours. If I do 3 sets of 5 at greater weight I will probably only be sore for 24 hours. Yesterday I attempted "rest pausing?" where I did 1 set to failure 15 deep breaths 1 set to failure 15 deep breaths 1 set to failure and I am pretty much feeling 95% only 12 hours later.

Am I just being a pu*sy and failing too early? Is very quick recovery common for beginers? How long should I be sore for? It appears that more weight for less reps make me sore longer would 5 sets of 1 rep be good for me?

Failure 3 times in one exercise? Jezuz! That would overtrain me quickly. You have some very good recovery still. Yeah, quick recovery is common for beginners because the weights they're using aren't heavy, although they're heavy for them. Since the weights are lighter, the body's stress is less. Progress is an indicator that you're recovered.

Don't worry about soreness, it's worst when you do something different, which doesn't say much about the stimulation you gave your muscles, other than which muscles you worked. You can get really sore doing high reps and light weights, but that doesn't mean that's optimal. Focus on progress, not soreness.
 ImJayZee

Got a question or two about getting back in shape
Posted: 2/5/2010 3:07:18 PM
You need to get your bodyfat level low for your cellulite to go away. You do this through diet and weight training. The diet allows you to lose fat, and the progressively heavier weight training speeds up your metabolism, and tones your body.

Like bsp71, eat more vegetables. Eat a big serving of a certain type of vegetable every meal. You can vary the vegetable at different meals so that they don't get boring for you. Eat this serving first out of the meal so that it fills you up. Eat lean meats. Eat low-glycemic carbs(google if you don't know which they are), limit processed carbs to one cheat snack a week.

With weight training, do exercises that will work every muscle group in your body. Gyms have a variety of equipment for this. Do the chest press, back row, shoulder press, and lat pulldown for upper body. For your butt, thighs, and core, do heavy(for you) "stiff-legged" deadlifts. The stiff-legged part is a misnomer, you actually do them with a slight bend in your knees. This is a good exercise for you because they don't bend your knees much, but they work your butt, thighs, and core hard. If you'd rather workout at home, you can do most of these exercises at home with some heavy(for you) dumbbells and a cheap workout bench. Do this total body workout 3 to 2 times a week and focus on getting stronger. Getting stronger will speed up your metabolism and tone you up nicely. Combined with a lower calorie diet, this will get your bodyfat level low and rid you of your cellulite.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 35 (view)

Killer Triceps excercises.. What's your fave?
Posted: 2/4/2010 6:07:09 PM

I like dips, French Presses and close grip bench presses to build and tone triceps.
Machines and silly pushdowns are a joke to build serious tris.

If I had to pick between free weight compounds or machine isolations, I agree. But if I could do both, well...I still somewhat agree, lol. Mainly because our bodies evolved do compound movements(not speaking of exercises). But I like the occasional isolation exercise in there as an addition for a different stimulus.
 ImJayZee

Killer Triceps excercises.. What's your fave?
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:35:16 AM
Try overhead dumbbell extensions with both hands on a heavy dumbbell. Doing them while leaning back on a seat with a half back-rest allows you to stretch your tri's a little more by leaning your upper arms back a little more. These seem to work the long head of the triceps, or the part of the triceps that touches the side of your body as your arms hang, a little more.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 34 (view)

flat bench cable curl
Posted: 1/25/2010 1:11:34 AM
Like was said, this is just another way to do a cable curl. Same as if it were done standing. The resistance angle from the pulley is the same. Both pulleys would be right in front of his feet.

Sometimes people get too creative. If it was during busy hours, he'd be keeping people who wanted to do seated cable rows from doing them. Just like when people get creative and do standing barbell curls in a squat rack.

If he wants to keep his back from swinging while doing curls with a barbell, he should just stand with his back against a wall. If he wants to keep his back from swinging while doing standing cable curls, then he just shouldn't swing his back!
 ImJayZee
Msg: 24 (view)

Dating and Dieting
Posted: 1/21/2010 8:22:32 PM
Ordering a moderately healthy appetizer isn't hard. They're smaller than the over-sized meals restaurants serve. Or you can use the restaurant meal as a cheat snack and order a small cheat appetizer. A cheat snack a week isn't going to derail you from your goals.
 ImJayZee

Am I missing out by not doing deadlifts?
Posted: 1/20/2010 12:07:57 AM
We have two pretty good trainers. I can ask for their help.

Good idea. I'd say the most important thing while doing them is to always keep your lower back arched backward a little, never round it forward. I'm sure they'll stress that with you.

You'll get a strong back and core doing deadlifts. I'm sure you know how important that is.

Show ALL Forums