Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Best Place You've Ever Been?
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 16 (view)

Best Place You've Ever Been?
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:08:05 PM
For me, as a person that loves history, the best place I've ever visited would have to be Istanbul. That city was beautiful and lively, and the centuries of living history there just filled my heart with awe. To be able to walk on the same marble floor that Roman Emperors walked on was breathtaking to me. And not in ruins, like in Athens or other spots throughout Europe, but in fully functional, continuously inhabited buildings.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 138 (view)

Independent Women
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:01:38 PM
Oh, and Kbodley. I don't know you and haven't followed your posts, but as a man I feel outright embarassed at the treatment you have been given here, when all you were trying to do was share a little bit of yourself. Good for you for being a self confident, independent woman. That doesn't make you a god, it makes you healthy. And if god exists, I would think he would want people more like you in his flock.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 137 (view)

Independent Women
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:54:47 PM

I apologize for my post, as it was not really constructive -- I should have taken the time to elaborate. It is true any one poster can not "kill" a forum. A poster can certainly have an impact on the tenor and user experience of the forum, though. Which in turn will cause some posters to choose not to participate as readily.

You should not apologize. You were absolutely right. I am new to POF, and even newer to the forums. I just checked out the Oregon forums for the first time a few days ago, and the type of intolerance I've seen here, and you so accurately pointed out, makes me not want to bother. I doubt I'll be spending much time here.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 49 (view)

Patriot Act Being Used Against a 16 Year Old Boy!
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:42:00 PM

Waterboarding is used by the US as a part of training. Uncomfortable yes. But it is a far cry from being the torture people claim.

The US used to consider waterboarding torture. After WWII, we tried and executed 5 Japanese officers specifically for using waterboarding against Americans during the war. Which is it? Torture or not? Back then, we considered it torture enough to justify executing those men. Either we were wrong in the 1940's, or we're wrong in the 2000s. If waterboarding is not torture, then there was no justification for those executions, which would mean those officers were murdered.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 27 (view)

If Teleportation = Death, Would You Do It?
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:19:33 AM

This is a subject I've thought about a lot.
The move function for a computer file is probably the most applicable for what you see them doing in Star Trek. They never discuss the possibility that all of the characters die every time the go through the transporter and the people serving as the crew are in fact the 100 th. or so copy. As I remember, Dr. McCoy never liked using the thing and obviously for good reason.
Sure, the copy is exact in every respect, right down to the memories, so it doesn't know it's only a copy. Every body's running around thinking they are the original.
Now, the real question you are asking is about what could only be described as the SOUL .
Just because the transporter teleports every atom of your body doesn't mean it teleports " YOU ", that is your being, your SOUL if you will.
I don't see how you can get away from this quandary.
How can you be sure that " YOU ", the whole and complete " YOU " gets transported. The only way to know for sure is to get in and try it.
If it's not " YOU ", then naturally you would have to stay behind and let your copy go to the destination. But then, that rather defeats the purpose of teleportation, doesn't it ?
This brings up a whole slew of interesting and disturbing questions.
Is your exact copy an individual in itself or do you own it ?
Can you demand of your copy that it give up it's memories of it's trip to you and get erased ?

I would say it doesn't matter, as long as it's effective Here's why:
1. Assuming the soul exists, and is the life force behind our existence, and the original body is killed in the transport, then the copy would be lifeless because it would not have a soul. If the body does live, then either the soul transferred with the copy, or a new soul was created. And if a new soul was created by humans, then it's not really the soul that we thought it was, now is it? Move on to 2.
2. If there is no soul, and we're only sentient and conscious because we are aware of our own existences, then what does it matter if the transported form is the original or not. It thinks, therefore it is.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 375 (view)

Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:05:26 AM
Yes we went to the moon. The reason we haven't been back since the end of the Apollo program is our only spacecraft has been the shuttle. The shuttle is not capable of anything farther than low orbit missions. It wasn't designed for anything else and we haven't built a craft that can do anything else. That's why the Orion program is building a capsule that looks very much like the old Apollo capsules (although much larger). Specifically, that old simple design, a cone on a rocket, works effectively and economically, and will be what we use to go back. When we do I'm sure we'll find that old flag.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 127 (view)

Independent Women
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:33:15 AM
Personally, I like it when women are proud to be independent. That way I know they are with me because they like me and want to enjoy my company. Not because they "need a man" or are financially dependent, or in any other way needy of something from me. I'd rather be wanted than needed any day.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 34 (view)

Christian/Other what does it really mean to those who put it on their profile?
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:25:36 AM
I wish they would add, "The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" to the religion list.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 5 (view)

What are you thankful for?
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:10:48 AM
I know it's a little late for the thanksgiving thing, but I just found this thread and wanted to contribute.

More than anything else I'm thankful for my daughter. When I was younger, I had made the decision not to ever have children. Didn't want them, had never been around them, didn't feel comfortable with them. But when the "accident" happend and I became a dad, I learned a love that I never knew was possible. That accident was the best thing to have ever happened to me, and has been my saving grace on countless occasions. Now I think little kids are great, and I can see the light in their eyes that I was blind to before I had a child of my own. So I guess I'm thankful for happy accidents.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 24 (view)

How do you people stand to live in Portland or any big city?
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:48:12 AM
I completely disagree with Portlanders being all the same. I've lived in various parts of Oregon most of my life. Grew up in McMinnville, where everyone was conservative and white. Lived in Amity, another small white conservative town. Went to College in Eugene where everyone was liberal and white, like P-town was described earlier. Now that I live in Portland there is a diversity of thought, ethnicity, backgrounds, etc. that does not exist anywhere else in this state. I never had any black or hispanic friends before I moved to Portland. Any place I lived, they're weren't any, and having lived in those places, I don't blame them. I know plenty of conservatives in Portland just like plenty of liberals. The difference between the conservatives I know in Portland and the one's I encounter when I go back to visit family in McMinnville, is they actually encounter people in their daily lives with different viewpoints than themselves. They aren't as full of hate and fear as their small town conservative brethren. Of course, compared to places like New York, where there a LOT of immigrants, the diversity of Portland isn't much. But compared to any sleepy little do-nothing town in Oregon, Portland is much more diverse.

I've noticed that in Oregon, the liberal/conservative divide is often reflected in the Ducks/Beavers rivalry. Take the Civil War game. I went to a very lively downtown bar in Portland with a bunch of my fellow Duck alum. The bar was about half and half, and you could easily tell by who cheered when each side scored. In Portland, the rivalry was friendly. I didn't see any fights. I didn't even see anybody, from either team, being overtly disrespectful, spiteful, or violent. It was a remarkably fun night with none of the typical hickish angry testosterone-heavy brovado that is so commonplace in small towns. To digress for a moment, I remember one night years ago in McMinnville, I was beaten up in the parking lot of Sherri's because some hick's girlfriend had just broken up with him. I didn't know him or his girlfriend, but he was pissed off and I was there. That's all the reason he needed. Back to the Ducks/Beavers thing. I was just talking to a guy I know, a fellow Duck, who watched the game in Salem. Guess what happened when the Beavers lost? The bouncer had to stop a group of hicks from roughing him up.

That's why I like the city. People treat people with respect and dignity. People, liberal and conservative, tolerate those that are different from them, they don't try to beat them up.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 6 (view)

The good and the not so much. Care to review my profile?
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:06:03 AM
I want to thank everyone that commented on my profile to help me make it more appealing or, in some cases, such as all the random capitalizations, less stupid. On that one I got into the bad habit when I was in Germany, where they capitalize every noun. Anyway, I've made a number of adjustments accordingly. Hopefully they will help, and if anyone else wants to chime in, I'm still listening. I appreciate it.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 8 (view)

American in Germany- profile review plz
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:00:29 AM
Also if you want to meet Germans, get over the stereotypes. I lived in Germany for a year and half and had laughs and good times with many Germans. The German culture is, generaly, a very open and strait forward one. They're just not tought to have that fake, california, smile at you then stab you in the back attitude that so many in the U.S. have. If they like you, you'll know it. If they don't, you'll know that too. Give them a reason to smile at you and they will whole heartedly. But don't expect plastic.

Oh, and insulting their Body Odor won't make you many European friends either. One of the things I heard over and over again about the German perception of the "typical American" is how too many of us complain that everything isn't exactly like we're used to it being in the states. Get used to it. There is a reason you left. Embrace the differences and you'll meet many Germans who will like you specifically because you aren't the "typical American".
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2009 11:31:44 PM
Very blunt. Well, I did ask for it. So come on people, anybody else have anything to offer? I've never done this before so I'd like to get some more opinions. Who agrees with cracker31? Who doesn't. Don't worry, I can take it.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 19 (view)

Is this a bad time to become Self-Employed?
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:28:05 AM
I quit my job at KPTV and went freelance about 2 years ago. As my bread and butter I had set up a contract with a real estate company taking real estate photography. 3 months later the economy started to really slide the real estate work went away. Then the economy really tanked. I couldn't even get a portrait shoot. So yes, the timing was horrible. Finances were a shambles for quite awhile and because I was now self employed, I did not quality for unemployment during those months when there was no work at all. But I scraped by and survived and now things are slowly getting better. I'm getting a little more work all the time and am always looking forward to tomorrow being even better. It was hard. Really sucked at times. But still being my own boss and succeeding or failing based on my own skills or lack thereof, is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done in my life.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 12/9/2009 9:36:40 PM
Okay, so I've shortened it quite a bit, took out most of my personal history, and removed the self deprecation. Still too long or is it readable now?
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 12/9/2009 8:27:14 PM
Thanks to both of you for responding to my request. I'll think about changing that last paragraph. I don't want to seem too self deprecating. I've noticed a lot a back and forth regarding profile length. To try to capture something of one's individuality they tend to be too long and, like you said, nobody reads them. Too short and everyone will read it, but it says nothing about the individual. So, anybody have any idea on what the perfect profile length might be?
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 8 (view)

Riding the Train in Oregon
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:16:00 PM
I sometimes take the train between Eugene and Portland. It's really comfortable and much more relaxing than driving. But, and this is a huge but, it's almost always late. So don't bother if you have any time commitments or have to be anywhere on a schedule

One time I was stuck in Tigard, unmoving, for almost 4 hours. The reason for this, I am told, is that Amtrak doesn't own it's own lines. They have to use the Union Pacific lines and the Union Pacific does not keep to any schedule or alert anyone to when they intend to use them. So any time the two trains are about to use the tracks, Amtrak has to pull off on a side rout and wait for the owner train to finish going by, loading, etc. Like I said, one time the wait was almost 4 hours. Had I known how long we'd be sitting there, I could have taken a bus from Tigard to get the rest of the way home.
 pdxfilmmaker
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 12/9/2009 6:50:55 PM
Okay. So I've read the profile rules and don't have any****pics. I am new to internet dating so I thought I'd put this up on the forum and see what people thought. Of course I'm not really sure what to say, but I figured if I tried to be genuine I might not sound like every other jerk out there looking for a date. So anyway, what's good? What's not so good?

Show ALL Forums