Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Was I wrong?
 historiandan
Msg: 37 (view)

Was I wrong?
Posted: 9/18/2007 5:35:45 PM
Thank you Ma'am :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 33 (view)

Was I wrong?
Posted: 9/14/2007 1:01:29 AM
Thank you Levad, a smart man.

And Harrabylad, if you will be gracious enough to not breath around me? Thank you in advance.
 historiandan
Msg: 30 (view)

Was I wrong?
Posted: 9/11/2007 8:09:47 PM
I've smoked at least 35 years. And for stress reasons, I have no intention of quitting...
But, I am also extremely polite about it. If I'm with friends in a bar who don't smoke, I stand away from them, but within talking distance, and constantly watch to see that it isn't drifting towards them. I even smoke out side at my own apartment if someone doesn't smoke.
It's on my profile, so it shouldn't be any secret that I smoke, but it doesn't have a spot to check "very considerate".
I'd never consider smokeing in some ones home or car if they don't smoke. And I toss the butts into the street if there is no where else to put them.
Frankly, I'm getting really tired of being a social pariah because I smoke. Maybe I should complain about some one else breathing my air...after all, I have in enhale your CO2...yuck!
As for the poster who complained that a smoker excused them selves to have a cigarette, leaveing them all alone in a restaurant...get a grip...they were gone perhaps FIVE minutes? What if they had gone to the bathroom? Is it just the social stigma that they had left for a few minutes to smoke, instead of a nature call? What's the difference?
Do these same people excuse them selves to go to the other room to watch a ludicrous sitcom that you can't stand? I doubt it. You are offending my brain, not my lungs.
I'm an archaeologist, and I don't go wandering through the forest spreading fire makeing coals, I stay in one open dirt area, or the dirt road, carefully crushing even ashes, and burying the crushed butt.
Cigarettes cost perhaps 25 cents to make and market, per pack, yet they are so heavily taxed, that they, with the recent 89 cents PER pack increase, are WELL over $6 a pack now. So, now honestly, who is being descriminated against here?
People who are not repectful of others surroundings that don't smoke, deserve any scorn upon them. But leave the rest of us alone, we aren't hurting any one but ourselves.
 historiandan
Msg: 44 (view)

Will there be a world war III?
Posted: 8/14/2007 5:28:57 AM
Smile the next time you choke down that Big Mac, after putting on your Malaysian Nike t-shoes and Taiwanese pants...while listening to your China made I-pod, and talking to your friend on your Finnish cell phone. Your fiancees diamond ring is perhaps from Russia, and you drove to McDonalds on Saudi oil in your Japanese car.
Do I like that all of the above except the franchise aren't American? Hell no...but I like eating that Big Mac knowing a nuke isn't going to go off over my head.
 historiandan
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 8/14/2007 5:00:10 AM
The internet is the best tool for world peace ever invented; the ability for rational people globally to understand each other one on one.
I'm proud to have good friends in Moscow now, that used to be where the bad guys lived. And we can talk about "the bad old days".
Thank you U.K. and others, for haveing the guts to finally confront this final pinical to true world peace.
There will always be confrontation and differences. But that's what diplomacey and back channel negotiations are for.
The resource wars are not over...but I do not see WWIII in our future.
 historiandan
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 8/14/2007 2:18:36 AM
We are far to globalized now, internal economics will not permit a global war. GE stopped the potential war between India and Pakistan. The same reason China hasn't invaded Taiwan. Every Western business would drop them in a second...
We may hate seeing McDonalds on every corner of the world, but it's good for peace.
A previous poster stated it correctly, WW III is right now, terrorists vs the World.
It's not just vs America; while they don't get the press, many countries are united in this fight.
 historiandan
Msg: 92 (view)

Introduce Yourself Here.
Posted: 8/11/2007 2:11:42 AM
I didn't know this post was around...doesn't show up in an Oregon search. I'm in Klamath Falls.
 historiandan
Msg: 25 (view)

Re: All This Business about Looks. (Not self pity, relevant.)
Posted: 7/7/2007 2:23:09 AM
Serenity, you touched on some wonderful points, and also made me reflect on myself.
Your rejections are exactly what I experienced, when I finally had to say...oh, by the way, I have MS...hell with it, it's right up front in my profile now. I have nothing to hide or apologize for. I guarantee it's not contagious LOL
In a way, perhaps it's for the best. It makes US stronger, and we also don't have to deal with those more shallow than us. Perhaps there really is some one willing to accept a slight disability in some one. Those of us who grow stronger from it are far better people than we were.
I'm patient, she may still be out there.
 historiandan
Msg: 20 (view)

looks, disabilities!
Posted: 5/21/2007 2:52:25 AM
I haven't been into the forums for at least six months, but I saw that a good friend had responded to this thread. There is a built in repulsion of disabilities, and women can probably realize better than men. They are the ones that bear the children, and it's hard wired to select the best mate.
Sorry to be so graphic, but I'm an archaeologist, this kinda thing I know.
But, at the same time, I AM DISABLED, and I friggin' hate useing that word. I have MS, but it doesn't mean I'm dieing. Many things I can't do now, but many I can. And at past the normal child bearing age, perhaps I will finally meet a woman past child bearing age, who has learned to appreciate careing, and true compatibility.
I'm almost 54, and it really is the golden quarter of your life. Many of us have something wrong with us, it's undeniable after 1/2 century....and some of us have lived harder than others. Yet, we keep looking. Never ever give up, it just may happen.
 historiandan
Msg: 83 (view)

older gentleman - longer hair
Posted: 5/19/2007 2:06:51 AM
I got tired of the experiment, blowing in my face, makeing me hotter............ It's back to pseudo conservative.
 historiandan
Msg: 29 (view)

Will a non smoker date a smoker ?
Posted: 10/21/2006 4:48:43 AM
OK, I just went back and looked at these notes...Some of you truley think you will get cancer if you LOOK at or KISS a smoker? Granted it's a personal option, and I'm all for that. However, it is the 21st Century, may we not get into cigarette smokers burn at the stake please? A considerate smoker smokes outside, or away from the table in a bar, does that make us complete social pariahs? Most of us smoke because we are frankly addicted. Trust me, you don't want to experience the withdrawal........I could describe it, but it's not pleasant. Please take this all into consideration when contemplating meeting some one, they CAN'T and most likely won't stop smoking "for you".
 historiandan
Msg: 28 (view)

Will a non smoker date a smoker ?
Posted: 10/21/2006 4:19:31 AM
Miss Claudia, wise woman not to close your options. I've smoked for maybe 35 years now, never really liked it, but was in high stress job...Tried to quit many times. Was diagnosed with MS 4 years ago, cigs are the least of my concerns now. What are the odds...
 historiandan
Msg: 8 (view)

Mood changes and the color of autumn
Posted: 10/18/2006 12:05:36 AM
Around here, it just means to get ready for SNOW until June ;-(
 historiandan
Msg: 32 (view)

older gentleman - longer hair
Posted: 10/12/2006 12:53:52 AM
Hi, I'm Dan, I was a Corporate Clone for 20 years. (hi Dan) I'm 53, retired and early this year said what the hell, I didn't grow it in the 60's, and now...I can, and I don't care :-) Kind of started as an experiment, but now not so sure I will cut it any time soon. I will admit it's a pain in the butt doing archaeology with the wind blowing (think Tom Petty) it's always in my face as it's really fine. Who knows, I'm just playing around...because I can. Note: photo shown was in April 2005. Outdoor photos are in August this year.
 historiandan
Msg: 10 (view)

If you could change one thing
Posted: 10/6/2006 12:54:47 AM
I would have gone to college sooner.
 historiandan
Msg: 37 (view)

It's Not Over at 45
Posted: 10/5/2006 11:52:21 PM
"Personally I believe I can have "IT" all."

Gold, there is no reason why you CAN"T have it all! AGE, is a state of mind. My last girl friend was one day older than me, and she kept insisting she was "middle aged"...maybe you, but NOT me! You can learn an awful lot in 53 years, and I'm enjoying the benefits of that data base. I'm a better person now than I ever have been (disregarding some health issues, even those can be over come).
 historiandan
Msg: 7 (view)

Duel personality
Posted: 9/24/2006 5:05:53 PM
"Why certainly any Gemini can claim this affliction"

I'm a Gemini and we don't believe you.

Yes we do.
No we don't
Yes we do!
No we don't..........
 historiandan
Msg: 53 (view)

Battle of the sexes....for lack of a better subject line
Posted: 9/16/2006 10:31:16 PM
Hi Melon, well I guess you would be surprised. Not everyone here is honest. Enough said.
Marcia, you sweetie, just passed on some hard learned lessons from my end :-)

This "battle" really is a battle, WHY?
 historiandan
Msg: 48 (view)

Battle of the sexes....for lack of a better subject line
Posted: 9/14/2006 11:13:41 PM
Gold, Melon and others, ok a guys input as requested. First and foremost, sometimes we just plain get exhausted from the rejection, coyness, "hard to get" "make you work for it" "prove you are worthy" ad naeseum. I'm a very young 53, but I've been around the block enough to make a taxi driver dizzy. Ladies, I'm tired of it. But will I give up? No. I written the most honest profile I have the skills to do, explaining who I am to the best of my abilities.
But...it is so refreshing to receive a "hi I'm X, saw you in the forums"....Just honest communication.
Yes, our age group still has latent training in the psuedo puritanical North American culture. Women wait, men bite their tongue and go for it if they gather the courage. And then the dance starts, again. And again. And again.
You know, this is all supposed to be a partnership in the end, but it sure as hell never starts as one. It's a mind boggling "what is she thinking" "what is he thinking", "what will they say next" "no email today? WHY?"....
Ladies, please take this into consideration. For gawds sake, it's the 21st Century, men aren't going to club you and haul you off to a cave. We ALL want the same thing in the end. Loving stable partners. But it begins with open communication and friendship on both sides. Give us a break please?
 historiandan
Msg: 12 (view)

Who wants to live forever?
Posted: 9/13/2006 4:00:00 AM
Who wants to live forever?

I do
 historiandan

Have you been tempted to lie about your age?
Posted: 9/13/2006 2:04:00 AM
I'm to lazy to lie, physically 53...mentally about 30.
 historiandan
Msg: 33 (view)

at 45 plus why should the distance(miles) between to hearts be so great
Posted: 9/7/2006 9:34:35 PM
Then PM me LOL LOL LOL
 historiandan

Posted: 9/6/2006 11:20:24 PM
'm listening Clay :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 9/5/2006 7:57:48 PM
And now to present esteemed #2 to Clay....(looks slowly for a non curvy spot)
 historiandan

Posted: 9/5/2006 7:55:46 PM
I'm still the #1 Charter Member. Dan said so. And no need to do it "gingerly!" Set an example for the faint of heart here, Dan! Do it over distance, and do it assertively! See, that's a metaphor for the original question, so I stayed on topic

Sassy, I had a hell of a time trying to find somewhere not to, uh, curvy, to put it on. And saw your B/F standing behind you.....
 historiandan
Msg: 28 (view)

Posted: 9/4/2006 11:31:32 PM
I only say that to the original uniques :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 9/4/2006 11:17:57 PM
Mae.don't ever doubt your own unique fascination :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 9/4/2006 9:46:01 PM
Brad, I'm sorry to see you so bitter about potential long distance. To be brief, you don't EVER know all about someone, even if you live with them 24/7. Yes, I've been messed with every way and side ways in long distance, but I can either say "I give up, I will crawl into a corner and DIE" or, I will try again, and again, and again. I KNOW I am a complicated guy, I have a gazillion interests. And yes, it's going to take a unique woman to understand that. I for one am not giving up.
 historiandan
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 9/4/2006 9:30:10 PM
Dan proudly, uh, er, gingerly places Charter Member #1 on Sassey's chest :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 9/4/2006 4:56:53 PM
Bobby's Bungie Boating Babes in Beanies and Bikinis.
 historiandan

Male Menopause .. it's OK
Posted: 9/4/2006 1:22:00 AM
Bobby, dude, by all means...GO FOR IT!
 historiandan
Msg: 31 (view)

Posted: 9/4/2006 12:38:00 AM
I'm not sure if it's chemical, or state of mind. Some of us have done a number of accomplishments, and wonder what to do next. Some regret they didn't pursue more engaging careers or interests. But in the end, it's that looming calendar. The great equalizer. We only do this once, and I think it terrifies some people, and leads them to actions they wouldn't do at an earlier age. Unfortunately, in a mindless pursuit of some intangible goal, it disrupts their families, and even their own lives. No winners.
 historiandan
Msg: 6 (view)

Have you been tempted to lie about your age?
Posted: 9/3/2006 3:53:49 AM
Doesn't count Clay :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 9/3/2006 3:04:36 AM
Yeah, I get hot flashes....at some of the womens photos here.
 historiandan
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 9/3/2006 2:50:03 AM
Well, I know with certainty, if I meet Ms. Right, >I< will be the one who has to move. I'm retired, and whomever is going to have kids, grandkids, most likely her own home, job, etc etc. I have nothing that keeps me here, aside from liking the area. (except when it snows)
Yes, it's scarey as hell, and I'd never consider it with out quite a few meetings in advance of that kind of decision. Most women have left ME.....with that baggage in mind, I'd have to be damn certain. But I'd do it if it seemed right.
 historiandan
Msg: 13 (view)

Would your former partner or best friend agree with how you portray yourself in your profile
Posted: 9/2/2006 12:24:22 AM
Yep, they would. Some, under torture, but they would admit it.
 historiandan

Successful Fishing
Posted: 8/28/2006 10:51:01 PM
Mae, I think it will take a net to catch you :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 4 (view)

I could use a little advice here
Posted: 8/25/2006 12:28:17 AM
WACKO, run now!!!!!!!!!
 historiandan
Msg: 16 (view)

Are you proud of your age?
Posted: 8/23/2006 10:44:36 PM
I wasn't going to answer this thread, but then did a personal analysis. First, I'm proud to still be here, after a live on the edge life style for ages. Not drugs, but just more money than brains.....Next, honestly, things I've invented/produced/writen/accomplished will far out last me. I'll be ok if I just go in my sleep. Just never found the lasting Ms. Right.........
 historiandan

How Many Men/Women In The Forces???
Posted: 8/21/2006 10:11:54 PM
When I was doing research for my book, I developed a friendship with a WW2 fighter pilot, who's personal accounts I included. When he sent me a note saying "thank you for giving my family my legasy" I almost cried. How can I thank HIM, for his service?
Personally, I didn't serve, I remember sweating out the draft for Nam. I had everything filled out for the Air Force , in Intel, all the tests etc, except a signature. Just in case. It was a very very strange time.......... Not a good time to be 18 and not having a clue about the world. Sometimes I wish I had gone............
 historiandan

Have no family? Who do you leave it to?
Posted: 8/21/2006 9:40:15 PM
Better, pardon my tunnel vision of historical stuff, but here's an idea. There is an outstanding nature/historical theme museum near Bend Oregon which was put together on what I believe was donated land. "the High Desert Museum". They were able to keep it relatively natural, but offer a sanctuary to injured wild animals in a natural setting, with little trails between the various settings so you can view the animals, who are well taken care off, and a stunning museum on the grounds, dedicated to local historical, zoological and Indian displays. I can't think of a more lasting legacy. Perhaps you could even get tax benefits while you are still able to enjoy the benefits. I don't know all the lawyer stuff, but with some effort on your part, I'm sure you could find a worthy organization that would be absolutely thrilled with the idea, and create a lot of local interest and participation. You are still young, you have plenty of time to guide this in your vision. Perhaps a reconstruction of your Grandfathers house, how to meld in animals to museum, trails, and the like. YOU know your land better than any one. You say it's "unuseable" land, but animals that can't be released back into the wild don't need a LOT of area. Some smart thinking could make it a wonderful theme area, yet NOT commercial. And your family would live on forever. Just my two cents bud. Dan
 historiandan
Msg: 4 (view)

Have no family? Who do you leave it to?
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:34:23 PM
Better, extremely good question, and a difficult one. I am in exactly the same position, no one to leave it to, but in my case, it's a matter of an enormous collection of historical records, which I collected to write a book. NOT something I want to see end up in a dumpster. Even though we are all going to "live forever", these decisions have to be made, and responsibly. In my case, with some Google work, I could find some Aviation Museums with facilities to house/share archival materials, but, you know how it is, why deal with that today, if you can put it off.........I do have one small town air museum in mind, I've just avoided approching them. You've brought up something we all need to address.
 historiandan
Msg: 27 (view)

Checking it out???
Posted: 8/15/2006 10:19:52 PM
Wanda, give me something to keep my mind off cigs, you may have a deal :-) As per the drinking, honest to gawd, mostly it's medicinal, it truly helps me sleep. Beer only. And of course, one person's idea of a LOT may differ :-) Your mileage may vary. Voting, I agree that you can only vote once regarding a thread deletion. (I tried to vote more than once to keep one on ) LOL BUSTED
 historiandan
Msg: 11 (view)

Checking it out???
Posted: 8/14/2006 8:41:04 PM
I still can't figure that thing out; I havn't voted on any one, yet it says I did on a bunch of 20 somethings, that I havn't even looked at. OK, my first official vote, a 10 for Wanda :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 3 (view)

Dealing with The Man
Posted: 7/31/2006 1:05:55 AM
Mor, your post is very reasonable, why others want to dismiss it is rediculous. I could share a LOT of similar horror stories about the Gov here when I first got MS...........
 historiandan

Did ja evuh?
Posted: 7/24/2006 2:34:20 AM
I keep wishing someone would flash me :-)
 historiandan
Msg: 9 (view)

Advice on quitting smoking
Posted: 7/23/2006 3:16:38 AM
I'm a bit off topic here. I've smoked over 35 years. It sucks, it stinks, it burns clothes, it's expensive, you are a complete slave, and you have to go out side of a restarant to smoke. And it probably will kill you, or at least decrease life span. After I got MS a couple years ago, I figured "what the hell".............I STILL don't like them, but not going to worry about them any more. For the rest of you, by all means, stop in what ever way you can. It's been medically proven to be as bad or worse than kicking heroin. Not being a heroin user, I don't know, but kicking cigarettes will be rough, but you will have better health and a longer life to look towards. You can't buy that.
 historiandan

Simplicity/ Did We Forget? What Is It?
Posted: 7/23/2006 2:54:26 AM
After 20 years of running 30 stores at the same time, enough. Even writing a book got stressful, making sure the German translation was right, the facts were completely correct, referenced, and would be completely acceptable, "with out question" in the air historical community. My best times now are doing what was DNA hard wired into me, archaeology, but only as a volunteer now. It's hard to explain, but going to an area, and knowing, just by looking, "there is a site over there", that's simplicity at it's best, for me at least.
 historiandan
Msg: 2 (view)

retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 12:41:19 AM
I'm not.....yet. But I AM considering it, and one of the best places for the good ol' USA dollar seems to be Phillipines. I have good friends there who have helped research it with me. Try this, Just out of Manila, gated community (upscale), guard, cook, maid, pool, two story furnished condo, driver, food, internet, electricity, phone and sat tv..........$672 a month......HONEST.
 historiandan
Msg: 27 (view)

My, how things have changed in 50 years
Posted: 7/13/2006 10:57:43 PM
You sure this wasn't a TV Documentary about "Leave it to Beaver's" Mom on crack????????

Show ALL Forums