Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: POF at Independence Side Pockets with Charlie and the Stingrays April 9th, 2011
 jocolover
Msg: 12 (view)

POF at Independence Side Pockets with Charlie and the Stingrays April 9th, 2011
Posted: 3/22/2011 6:51:48 AM
Have not seen Charlie for years ! He always had a good show along with a great play list so I can only suspect its better now. Thinking serious about attending. For anyone that has not seen or heard the band, let me assure you, they are good! :)
 jocolover
Msg: 32 (view)

St Patty's Day Celebration Saturday 14 March 2009
Posted: 3/5/2009 9:02:15 AM
Sounds like fun, have not been there in YEARS!
 jocolover
Msg: 3 (view)

Windows 7 to come in 6 editions
Posted: 2/4/2009 12:44:19 PM
You are correct in regard to retail consumers. I should have been more clear.

The two *SKU (shelf keeping units) are what most consumers will see. The other four will not be available for most consumers.

Each version will be available in either a 32-bit or 64-bit version except for Windows 7 Starter.

1. Windows 7 Starter
Market: Worldwide availability this time but with new PCs only
This version will only be sold through PC makers to users ......
Not available as retail or 64-bit. For price-sensitive customers with small notebook PCs, some OEMs (ex: HP, Dell, etc) will offer Windows 7 Starter

2. Windows 7 Home Basic (Basically the equivalent of Vista's Media Center edition)
Home Basic will be sold only to emerging markets.
There are over a hundred but think South America, Africa, the Middle East, and island nations.

3. Windows 7 Home Premium*
Market: Mainstream retail market
Home Premium will be sold at retail and be included with new computers.
Will have all the visual goodies of Windows 7 like the Aero Glass UI and the advanced window navigation. Besides touchscreen implementations (handwriting recognition, multitouch), the Home Premium edition also brings improved media format support and enhancements to Windows Media Center and media streaming.

4. Windows 7 Professional*
Pro will be sold at retail and be included with new computers
Will have more security and networking features like the Encrypting File System, advanced network backup and joining managed networks with Domain Join. Also, the Pro version supports location-aware printing.

5. Windows 7 Enterprise
Market: Volume-license business customers only
Only mid- and large-sized businesses that have a Software Assurance Agreement with Microsoft.

6. Windows 7 Ultimate
Market: Retail market, limited availability
Will bring a similar set of advanced features like bitLocker data protection for internal and external drives, DirectAccess for corporate networking based on Windows Server 2008 R2, and will lock unauthorized software from running with AppLocker.
Will probably not see Windows 7 Ultimate in retail for a while and only be available through the update process

FYI, there is no word yet when Vista will be discontinued
 jocolover
Msg: 1 (view)

Windows 7 to come in 6 editions
Posted: 2/4/2009 8:40:30 AM
Customers will be able to choose from Windows 7 Starter Edition, Windows 7 Home Basic Edition, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, and Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

Windows 7 Starter
Market: Worldwide availability this time but with new PCs only
Key features: Enhanced taskbar, Jump Lists, Windows Media Player, Backup and Restore, Action Center, Device Stage, Play To, Fax and Scan, basic games
What's missing: Aero Glass, many Aero desktop enhancements, Windows Touch, Media Center, Live thumbnail previews, Home Group creation

This version will only be sold through PC makers to users, but unlike with Vista, it will be sold worldwide. This suggests that netbook makers will choose this version, even in the US. As with previous Windows Starter Edition products, it is limited in some ways: You can run only three applications at once, don't get Windows 7's full mobility capabilities, and can participate in but not create a Home Group. Also, there's no Aero Glass.

Windows 7 Home Basic
Key features: unlimited applications, live thumbnail previews and enhanced visual experience, advanced networking support (ad-hoc wireless networks and Internet connection sharing), and Mobility Center

Windows 7 Home Premium
Key features: Aero Glass, Aero Background, Windows Touch, Home Group creation, Media Center, DVD playback and authoring, premium games
What's missing: Domain join, Remote Desktop host, advanced backup, EFS, Mobility Center, Offline Folders

The volume Windows 7 offering for consumers builds on Starter and includes Mobility Center, Aero Glass, advanced windows navigation features like Aero Snap and Aero Peek, and multi-touch, as well as the ability to both create and participate in Home Groups. Home Premium will be sold at retail and be included with new computers.

Windows 7 Professional
Key features: Domain join, Remote Desktop host, location aware printing, EFS, Mobility Center, Presentation Mode, Offline Folders
What's missing: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs, boot from VHD

This volume Windows 7 version builds on Home Premium and adds features like domain join, Group Policy (GP) controls, location aware printing, advanced backup, EFS, and offline folders. Pro will be sold at retail and be included with new computers

Windows 7 Enterprise
Market: Volume-license business customers only
Key features: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs, boot from VHD
What's missing: Retail licensing

As before, Enterprise is aimed at Microsoft's Software Assurance (SA) volume license customers. This time, however, Enterprise is a superset of Professional and adds much-heralded Windows 7 features like Direct Access, Branch Cache, BitLocker, and BitLocker To Go.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Market: Retail market, limited availability
Key features: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs, boot from VHD
What's missing: Volume licensing
 jocolover
Msg: 79 (view)

Kansas City and surrounding areas ~ Saturday, Sept. 6th 2008 ~ 8:00pm ~ FunkyTown
Posted: 8/30/2008 1:53:28 AM
Sounds like fun. I normally work weekends but I'm going to try to get the evening off.
 jocolover
Msg: 4 (view)

MP3-eating trojan
Posted: 8/6/2007 12:10:45 PM
The newly-uncovered worm called W32.Deletemusic does exactly what its name implies—it goes through a PC and deletes all MP3 files in sight. And that's it. Simultaneously low-threat and highly annoying, the worm makes its way from computer to computer by spreading itself onto all attached drives of a given PC, including flash drives and removable media. If that media is then removed and inserted into another computer, it continues its music-eating rampage on the new host.

(another source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070803-average-pc-is-a-smorgasboard-for-a-new-mp3-eating-trojan.html )
 jocolover
Msg: 57 (view)

Thunder Bay Chippewa, July 21st
Posted: 7/18/2007 5:44:22 AM
Ya know Thanbewitching_secret™, if I were younger so I could become acclimated to the winters in addition to knowing what I know now, I guarantee I would be Canadian. Down here in the states it seems like the motto is "screw your neighbor" where in Canada it seems like its "help your neighbor". I also have yet to meet a Canadian that is a jerk but down here its a daily occurrence.

Regardless, its my pleasure to contribute so thank you.
 jocolover
Msg: 50 (view)

Posted: 7/16/2007 7:40:12 PM
Arthur Bryants, Smokestack, KC Masterpiece, Zarda, Cattleman's, Gates and Jack Stacks barbeque sauces are in the mail. I wanted to send some Woody's but could not find it anywhere and it is my favorite! (Use it in my stuffed peppers)

I just hope it arrives in time, I think you guys will enjoy it.
 jocolover
Msg: 45 (view)

Posted: 7/14/2007 7:09:30 PM
I will be mailing the sauce tomorrow. Hope you guys enjoy it.
 jocolover

Perform a Windows Vista Suicide by Pressing Just 2 Keys!!!
Posted: 7/14/2007 4:43:31 PM
Windows Vista can be completely killed by pressing a simple combination of just two keys. All you need to crush Microsoft's latest operating system and put the much-applauded Wow at an end is two fingers. This issue has been reported independently of Microsoft, and the Redmond company has failed to issue any official comment at the time of this article. The immediate question which comes to mind is if the problem is a security vulnerability or a simple bug.

Either way, you too can watch Windows Vista die in front of your eyes. To make matters
worse, the key combination is one of the most utilized keyboard shortcuts in Windows. Pressing the Windows key together with "E" will start Computer in Windows Vista. Keeping the two keys pressed will open a large volume of Computer windows. Want to crush Windows Vista? Nothing could be simpler. Just keep the two keys pressed for more than 20 – 30 seconds.

The operating system will begin to behave aberrantly and will continue to open Computer instances flooding the desktop. There is no way to restore Vista to its normal self, outside of a reboot. With Computer windows cascading on your desktop, you will soon find that Task Manager cannot be accessed. The same is valid for additional processes. You will have to restart the operating system in order to restore Vista.

"It took millions of dollars to make Windows Vista secure and stable. While I am happy that Windows Vista is so much stable than Windows XP; there is a bullet proof way to crash WindowsVista. A simple service which loops a thousand times while sending Windows Key + E can be written within ten minutes. Microsoft may have spent millions of dollars for security and stability; it takes two fingers or a simple service to crash Windows Vista down. No matter how bullet proof Windows Vista claims to be, two keys to crash the operating system is a bullet proof approach as well," revealed the author of the crash method on TechTicles.

In its present form, the bug seems to create nothing more than a Denial of Service condition. It remains to be seen if it can be exploited remotely or if it permits code execution. Still, I’d put my money on a bug, rather than on a security vulnerability.

(source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Perform-a-Windows-Vista-Suicide-Pressing-Just-2-Keys-59886.shtm )

FYI, when I held the keys down for 2 - 3 seconds on my XP board. I opened up 76 instances of My Computer and it didn't crash, I would guess that 20 -30 seconds would open up 1000+ windows. Guess its hard to tell when comparing two pieces of crap, which is really a better piece of crap.
 jocolover
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 7/13/2007 7:27:12 AM
Hey Little Lady, if you would like me to send you a complimentary jar of Woody's Cook-In Barbeque Sauce (cooks in and through the meat without burning as it is a rich sauce that is ideal for cooking and marinating, great on fish, fowl or just adding a teaspoon to hamburger patty) or some KC Masterpiece® Barbecue Sauce, Gates, Arthur Bryant, Jack Stack, etc., send me an e ASAP and I'll ship it to you. Hopefully delivery will take less than a week.
 jocolover
Msg: 10 (view)

I have a Bi*ch of a bug HELP!!!
Posted: 4/29/2007 9:21:11 PM
'
I've DL'd Netscape and the error has not shown up yet!!

Proof the problem was in your java cache. There is nothing wrong with Netscape but clearing the browser cache does not clear the java cache. Just another reason to have and use ccleaner. Its one great app to have on your pc.

Regardless, glad the the issue has been resolved.
 jocolover
Msg: 56 (view)

Internet Connection Problems
Posted: 4/29/2007 9:13:10 PM
Check your Network settings under Start-Settings.

Under the General tab highlight Internet Protocol and then click properties.
Be certain there are check marks before "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically.
Under the Alternate Configuration tab be certain "Automatic private IP address is checked, then click Advanced.

Under the IP address tab, make certain "DHCP enabled" appears under IP address. There should be nothing under the default gateway and automatic metric should be checked. Then click on the DNS tab.

There should be nothing under DNS server address and "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" should be checked along with "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix." The only other check should be "Register this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration". Then click on the WINS tab.

There should be nothing listed under address under "Win addresses".
Ther should be checks before "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" and "Disable NETBIOs over TCP/IP". Then click the Options tab.

Ensure TCP/IP filtering appears under optional settings. Then click properties.

There should not be a check before "Enable TCP/IP filtering" and "Permit All" should be checked.
Ensure there is nothing listed under TCP, UDP and IP Protocols.
Click OK to close the windows.
Close any program that may be running and reboot your XP.

Upon reboot, enable your Network connection.

I have been seeing the disconnect problem on numerous computers for about two months now and the above procedure has proven effective to correct the issue. Unfortunately, there are programs and updates that are changing the proper settings.

This should help.
 jocolover

Start Up !!!
Posted: 4/29/2007 8:37:49 PM

C:\windows\system32\adspipe.dll the specified module could not be found

Download and install ccleaner selecting only the icon for your desktop and the progarm itself, do not install the other options, then run it. Analyze and run cleaner under the Windows tab, then the same under the applications tab. Then go to Tools-Startup and remove the browser plugin that was installed from a toolbar app that has been installed.

No need to reload the OS for a simple adaware issue. Your computer is not in any danger unless you continue performing hard shutdowns.

BTW, if a scan cannot be done in your version of Windows, or scheduled during the next boot from properties of C, start your pc in DOS and perform a scan. A scan should always be performed before a defrag.

This should help.
 jocolover

BitTorrent Uploader Faces 5 Years
Posted: 4/18/2007 5:19:25 PM
The United States Department of Justice said this week that a fifth defendant has plead guilty to copyright infringement stemming from the crackdown on the Elite Torrents BitTorrent network, which was illegally spreading music, movies and software.

24 year-old Sam Kuonen of Columbus, Ga., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement and criminal copyright infringement. He faces up to five years in prison, a fine of $250,000, and three years of supervised release. Sentencing is scheduled for July 16.

The first conviction related to the BitTorrent effort, dubbed "D-Elite" by authorities, came last October, when 23 year-old Grant Stanley from Virginia was sentenced to five months in jail and three years of supervised release. Stanely was an administrator for Elite Torrents.

Although Kuonen was not involved in the operation of the BitTorrent network, he was an "uploader" of copyrighted material. Kuonen supplied the first copy of movies and other illicit content to be shared with others. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) helped provide evidence in the case.

Elite Torrents was shut down by federal regulators in May 2005. At its peak, the network distributed more than 17,800 titles -- including movies, software, music and games -- which were downloaded over two million times. However, that hasn't stopped piracy on other BitTorrent networks.

Although its namesake company has made a push for legitimacy and launched a legal download service, the BitTorrent technology is currently used almost exclusively for the illegal distribution of copyrighted material by end users. Recent statistics have estimated that 33 percent of P2P traffic is attributable to BitTorrent.

BitTorrent itself is not the culprit, however. It is simply a communication protocol that facilitates efficient distribution of very large files. On the flipside, it is not uncommon for those particular files to be copyrighted music, movies or television shows. Still, it has found some legitimate uses - most notably helping to distribute Linux distributions from Red Hat and Mandriva, which are comprised of multiple 650MB CD images.
 jocolover
Msg: 2 (view)

A new internet?
Posted: 4/14/2007 9:25:25 AM
When I worked for AT&T years ago, before the merger, I came across some work regarding not only rebuilding the backbone but working with our government in creating a new "internet". The plan and discussion was quite elaborate. Remember that our government was among the last to jump on the Internet bandwagon but now wants control like everything else. Regardless, work was in progress and "leaks" were scheduled for about ten years so it appears the target has been met.

(Slight change) AT&T Labs is or was quite the fascinating group. Some of the technology that has been developed is mind blogging, especially with technologies developed to transmit data across old wire cables, not fiber. Since replacing wire with fiber was cost prohibited, AT&T had no choice but to develop the technology.

When applied to fiber, the transmission rate is phenomenal! At that time had Sprint (the old United Telecommunications, originally the Brown Telephone Company company that acquired the long distance company Sprint and retained the name as it was more recognized) would have had the technology, AT&T (formerly SBC) would be non-existent. Sprint built the first coast-to-coast fiber-optic in the late 80's but it efficiency was poor. However, Sprint ran into financial difficulty with all the excess optic and broadband since the market did not explode as soon as expected.

AT&T was well on their way in the 90's when they went on a buying spree and purchased cable companies across the country with the intentions to use HFC instead of wire. However, due to the agenda of AT&T CEO Michael Armstrong, he was successful in breaking up the group up in 2001 using the dot.com boom and various other issues as excuses. Comcast acquired AT&T Broadband and you may know the rest; the remaining AT&T has been acquired by SBC, AT&T Wireless ........... It was all about $$$$ and the major stock holders.

With this in mind, government branches held meeting primarily with AT&T AT&T Labs since they are the innovators. I'm certain some other companies were involved but I cannot prove it, I can only speak about AT&T. The premise is simple, if you want to design the best, you obtain the best people. Its not who is in charge its who is providing the support; innovative technology, funding, etc.

Things change but the plan for a new Internet has not. The "old" Internet will continue to co-exist but eventually fade. It will considered a desert and users will be considered outlaws since they are not complying by using the "new" Internet.

I will try to find some of the highlights I downloaded on CD. As noted, I no longer work for AT&T.

Some of the above may not appear reasonable or make sense and be considered bablings of a loose cannon. However, with the article you posted, I for one know it is not.
 jocolover
Msg: 15 (view)

Google OS?
Posted: 4/12/2007 5:34:11 PM

Rumours of a Goog/OS have been around for ages and predate the OCR project.

True, so true. Not going to happen. Google is not going to risk compromising their phenomenal network of servers and date. Its not cost effective either and would be a bad, very bad, business decision.

Google OS for computers, just another urban legend.
 jocolover

need java chat for myspace group
Posted: 4/12/2007 5:26:48 PM
You really want the headache and the long lines of code?

Forget MySpace and head to CherryTap. Earn points to progress to different levels and at one level you can have your own chatroom. Also there are no restriction on videos unlike the new decision with MySpace. No spam from supposedly young girls or popups. Neither are tolerated.

Be careful if you use irc. Trojan paradise.
 jocolover
Msg: 13 (view)

Google OS?
Posted: 4/10/2007 6:41:43 PM
I "THINK" you may be confusing a Google web based operating system with Google's development of an open-source OCR software which is expected to be released at the end of next year and be used for their book scanning project. (Remember when Google announced they wanted to have all books ever written scanned and available on line to read?)

The operating system (this is what is causing the confusion) is called OCRopus. It is a document analysis and OCR system, featuring pluggable layout analysis, pluggable character recognition, statistical natural language modeling, and multi-lingual capabilities. Some interesting thoughts about it include using it as a web service interface, a PDF, camera, and screen OCR, and using it in conjunction with with the desktop search tools Beagle, Spotlight, and Google Desktop.

The most popular OCR software are ABBYY FineReader, Omnipage, Readiris and Presto OCR, but they're pretty expensive (starting at $100). A decent solution to perform OCR on a document is Microsoft Office Document Imaging, included in Microsoft Office XP/2007. Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 also lets you OCR imported images. A free online alternative is Scanr, a site that lets you digitize documents by sending a mobile phone photo by email.

If Google is successful with the "operating system" OCRopus, look for the competition to scream and file law suites, especially M$.
 jocolover

FYI, Compaq & HP Putes w/ Realtek
Posted: 4/10/2007 5:17:51 PM
(Just in case you may be seeing an error message during booting. I have seen the message on numerous machines. )

Microsoft has issued a hotfix for users of Windows XP SP2 experiencing problems with third-party programs.

Last Tuesday's out-of-cycle MS07-017 update was Microsoft's answer to a number of vulnerabilities, including the Windows ANI bug. But with those fixes apparently caused problems for users of ElsterFormular, a German tax calculator; the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel; TUGZip, a freeware archiving tool; and CD-Tag.

When the update was first released the week of April 2, Microsoft noted the problem with Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and published a hotfix simultaneously with MS07-017 to help users, according to a blog post by Christopher Budd, program manager at Microsoft Security Response Center.

On April 6, Microsoft posted information about the other three third-party applications, explaining users may see the following message: "The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly."

The hotfix is currently available for manual download for customers not signed up to receive automatic updates.

"To help customers who have these applications installed, we will be releasing the hotfix to affected customers through Windows Update, Microsoft Update and Automatic Updates as part of the Tuesday April 10 release as a high-priority, nonsecurity update," Budd wrote.

He added that users of the enterprise Windows Server Update Services and Software Update Services will be able to approve the hotfix update and install it automatically on any applicable systems. SUS customers, however, will not get the update until April 12, Budd wrote.

ref: (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2112416,00.asp
 jocolover
Msg: 9 (view)

Norton 360
Posted: 3/29/2007 11:36:47 PM
I double checked theClamWin site and I was mistaken. ClamWin Free Antivirus, which is a non-profit free software project, will work with M$ Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and 2003. Version .90.1 which is 5.56MB is presently available for download. However, ClamWin Antivirus does not have an on-access real-time scanner like Avast or AVG so you need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

ClamWin also does not integrate with Windows XP SP2 Security Centre.

On a plus side, if a user is foolish enough to use MS Outlook (not MS Outlook Express which is an accident waiting to happen) ) then all emails are scanned automatically when you open them.

Also noted their web site indicated 0.90 is on the way so apparently someone is sleeping on the job since .90. 1 has been released.

Overall, ClamWin has potential bout its not quite there ................ yet.
 jocolover
Msg: 8 (view)

Norton 360
Posted: 3/29/2007 4:46:43 PM
I checked out Clam AntiVirus which is apparently an anti-virus toolkit for UNIX, designed especially for e-mail scanning on mail gateways. Unfortunately it only works and is compatible with Linux®, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, AIX, Mac OS X, Cygwin B20 on multiple architectures such as Intel, Alpha, Sparc, Cobalt MIPS boxes, PowerPC, RISC 6000. There was no mention of a M$ OS such as Windows.

If I am wrong please correct me. However it does appear to be a pretty decent kit for UNIX users.

Thanx for mentioning it.
 jocolover
Msg: 14 (view)

Internet Explorer Won't Launch (AT&T or VISTA problem)
Posted: 3/27/2007 8:49:08 AM
Contact AT&T and ask for second tier support. Inform them you want to establish a DSL connection without Yahoo or MSN. You can use any browser you want and set any url for a home page. You will have a cleaner and faster connection that will respond better. If you want to use Yahoo, do so from the site. You do not have to establish a Yahoo account or use the Yahoo program in order to use AT&T DSL.

If you use the AT&T installation software, simply ignore the installation procedure after the initial settings. For best results, all you need is your user name, password, and modem configuration settings which are installed with the software accompanying the modem, and actually you do not need it, just the driver. As much as I do not care for M$, the network connection prgram in XP or Vista software works just fine.

There is nothing wrong with AT&T unless you complete the entire installation. ANY ISP that requires you to use THEIR software to connect to the Internet should not be used, its called bloatware, uses resources and is not needed. You have all the connection information needed to setablish a ISP connection in both XP and Vista.

Second tier support from AT&T will walk you through it. Just remember, the call center with AT&T is just like any other call center, the employees are instructed to follow a canned script.

If for some reason you reach an idiot on the second tier, ask for the next level of support. There is no reason AT&T cannot assist you and the GEEK Squad at Best Buy, well there are some good techs but I have found most of them to be just a little more knowledgeable than the typical computer user. Actually there are quite a few and more knowledgeable qualified POF members

As for using IE, use so at your own risk. Firefox, Netscape, and Opera are all better browsers to use. IE should only be used when at the M$ site or some web designer does not know how to use clean html and has used software that is IE dependent. Thank God the POF web site is not IE dependent.

Hopefully some of this will help.
 jocolover
Msg: 8 (view)

Vista service pack... does it apply here?
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:38:52 AM
The feature M$ needs to improve and include more than any feature is the Task Manager or the ability to close a program.

Since 1985 when Windows 1.0 was introduced, M$ has yet to have a Task Manager that properly works. In 95 when Windows 95 was introduced, it was suppose to have been designed to have support for 32-bit pre-emptive multitasking like OS/2 and Windows NT, although a 16-bit kernel would remain for the sake of backward compatibility. Regardless, everything M$ stated was new was already being used by Apple. (AppleWorks was terrific software.) The Task Manager is for the the most part worthless and the event viewer is a joke.

M$ is just like any other company in business that produces product, hurry up and get it out, fix it later. Its all about marketing and trying to obtain the majority of the market shares.
 jocolover

Norton 360
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:23:38 AM

Please don't come in a tech forum and talk about Nortons. Most technicians cringe at the name.

Absolutely, positively, without a doubt, 100% the honest-to-God truth. So many horror stories I am surprised Stephen King has not written a book called "Norton".

Myself, I recommend Avast or AVG. Both are good products and FREE! Along with the ZoneAlarm firewall and a couple of Adaware programs and you are pretty much set. A key major part of the problem is preventive maintenance which I have found most people neglect.
 jocolover
Msg: 23 (view)

Connection problems
Posted: 3/20/2007 10:35:56 PM
A few things:
1st, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER turn off your firewall while you are connected to the Internet. It is more important than your anti-virus.

2nd, are you using the trial version of Office and if so has the trial period expired? If you are using a hacked version, get rid of it if you are using Outlook for your mail.

3rd, with LimeWire, set up a phony folder on your pc such as Limewire Crap Shared. Then change your preferences so only that folder can be shared. Limewire requires sharing at least one folder to be shared for it to "work" properly.

4th, is the ATI control center compatable with your OS? Even if it is, if you have the option, set your firewall to block its access to the Internet. If you do not have that option, download and install ZoneAlarm.

5th, check with your ISP to make certain THEY are not experiencing problems.

If you cannot perform a Restore to an earlier setting and you have it turned on, chances are extremely high your system has been compromised. You may be able to perform a non-destructive Total Rebuild without losing any data after reading http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

However, do so only after a total virus and malware scan has been done of your system. AdAware and Avast are both free programs you can use.
 jocolover

Scared!!
Posted: 3/20/2007 9:55:41 PM
"I was dating a guy who was a computer enginer."

Good for you. You cannot trust a liar and and he apparently lied.

The f2 prompt will not bypass the sign-in page in any browser even if it is stored.

Intrusion of privacy is a big NO-NO.

FYI, password your laptop and use at least a 128-bit encryption browser in addition to your firewall and run both an anti-virus scan and Ad-Aware to check for any key logging programs. Most the programs will be detected with the exception of the ones used by good ole uncle Sam.
 jocolover

PayPay Waning
Posted: 1/18/2007 4:05:24 PM
Phony Paypal Address

In a blog entry related to phishing countermeasures, F-Secure listed some recently registered domain names intended for phishing. Here are some of them:

That means Don't go to them!
(Unless you just want to lose your $$$$)

www.paypal-web.com
www.paypal-webscr.com
www.paypal-secure-login.com
www.paypal-update.com
www.ppal-dsl-cgi.com
www.paymrpal.com
www.paspal.com
www.paypal.com.cgi-bin.us
www.zpaypal.com
www.paypalsslserver.com
www.paypal-user-confirm.com
www.paypal-web.com
www.payrapid.net/paypal

(ref: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00001078)

The ONLY legitimate PayPal url is https://www.paypal.com/

Be careful out there.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 7 (view)

does anyone know how I can remove Everquest from my pc?
Posted: 1/10/2007 11:23:56 AM
Try going to

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/# and clicking on Search The Knowledgebase.

Then select either the particuliar product, game or All

Select technical for category

and enter uninstall in the Search Text box followed by pressing enter.

or just go here:
http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/soe.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php
?p_faqid=16195&p_created=1134161739&p_sid=RSfgYlri&p_accessibil
ty=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncml
kc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTIwJnBfcHJvZHM9MSZwX2NhdHM9ICZwX3B2
PTEuMSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJn
BfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dW5pbnN0YWxs&p_li=&p_topview=1

Hope this helps.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 21 (view)

Windows Vista: who cares?
Posted: 1/10/2007 10:59:11 AM
V- Viruses
I- Intruders
S- Spyware
T- Trojans
A- Adware

Love it!

Personally I am not impressed with Vista although M$ FINALLY included an app for a complete backup of the entire hard drive in the event of a failure or if a rebuild is necessary. I was asking M$ for that feature with Windows 3.1. (Its interesting that M$ is not the creator of the app. Kinda like Hotmail. ) May take 18 cds or 3 dvds but the feature is there! Not all versions of WindowsXP come with that feature and why some companies such as Dell (puke!) and Compaq (owned by HP) include additional software with their co-branded software.

When it comes to Linux, and there hundreds of variations and versions, its more of a technician OS and not the easiest for many to use but it will preform with lightning speed with fewer crashes; the blue screen of death is obselete. It will become easier for the average consumer with forthcoming advancements. The biggest problem with Linux is compatibility which is being addressed.

But don't forget the Mac. At one time AppleWorks was the number one seller and top software in the united states until Windows 3.1 was released and widely distributed. Even when Windows95 was released, it did nothing the Mac did not already do.

... and who cannot forget when Billy boy was revealing Windows98 and it crashed? I love Windows98 but unfortuately, newer programs, apps, plugins, software, etc. are not being written for it. Instead one has to use WindowsXP which is bloatware at best.

Now come VISTA and no REAL advancements or advancements but it does mean sales.

Windows Vista, who cares. Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread and never will be.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 10 (view)

Apple iPhone
Posted: 1/10/2007 10:05:43 AM
As far as providers, don't be surprised if Apple acquires T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom.

As far as the phone itself, unless the phone is purchased from a particuliar cell phone carrier, the phone itself will be "unlocked". Cell phone companies like having phones sold through their service "locked" as most consumers do not know they can be "unlocked" for use with another provider.

.... and unlike M$ products, the ipod will work with both Windows and the Mac. Now that is feature many will enjoy.

Its interesting to mention the original reason for "locking" a phone was to lock its use for a particuliar world region. Not all cell phone companies operate on the same frequency or network protocol. It was never the intention to lock a phone to a particuliar carrier. Funny how greed makes companies work.

If the FCC was our friend, they would initiate a ruling requiring cell phone cpmpanies to unlock their service free for any a consumer wishing to change providers, lets say a Motorola V360 from T-Mobile to AT&T. Otherwise, the consumer has to acquire a new phone. That practice is absurb and prevents true open competition. However, that is not going to happen any time soon although the iphone may push new rulings.

In short, the iphone is revolutionary and just the start of what is hoing to happen during the next five years which will unbelieveably exceed what has happened during the past thirty. Our US government is going to be in a frenzy as they want to regulate EVERYTHING!

Regardless, wait until hair for graphic 3D images is perfected, human movie stars could become a thing of the past. There will be no more multi-million dollar contracts for Tom Cruise. When it comes to someone like and Cameron Diaz, no one will want to look at her imperfections on HDTV but a created 3D image will be perfect and flawless.

Additional info:

Jobs launches long-awaited iPhone
http://zdnet.com.com/1606-2_2-6148642.html
7 minutes 30 seconds Jan 9, 2007 1200 PM

Jobs demos new iPhone apps
http://zdnet.com.com/1606-2_2-6148749.html
7 minutes 16 seconds Jan 9, 2007 3:08:00 PM
 JOCOLover
Msg: 14 (view)

cleaning lcd screen
Posted: 9/13/2006 9:09:26 PM
You are so right tme. You have no idea how many LCDs I have looked at because the user reported the screen being foggy or not as clear after being cleaned with alcohol-based cleaners over time. My advice, sell it at a garage sale or flea market and use whatever money is received toward the purchase of a new LCD. If it is part of a laptop, same advice.
 JOCOLover

Ever try Open Source? ...its Free
Posted: 9/12/2006 7:00:40 AM
Open source is great, but you must be able to read, comprehend and learn. The biggest disadvantage is support. Not everyone has the time and more and more people are expecting instant gratification. Regardless, its still better than any support you receive from Dell. The best customer support is still Apple which continues to lead all computer manufacturers and software year after year and is always receiving recognition and support.

One bad experience spreads like wildfire, one good experience is normally forgotten unless directly asked, primarily because the customer is happy and satisfied.

---------------------------

A little info about Ubuntu:
(available free with no shipping charges from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/)

South African magnate Mark Shuttleworth has already conquered space. Now he's set his sights on cyberspace, where he hopes to challenge M$. (alias Micro-Satan)

Shuttleworth made his fortune by selling an Internet company he started in his Cape Town garage. He then spent $20 million on becoming the world's second space tourist in 2002, and the first African in orbit.

Now, he is taking on U.S. technology behemoth M$ by pioneering free computer software that he hopes will revolutionize the way computers are used, and make the Internet accessible to millions in Africa and other emerging markets.

"Ultimately open source is the platform of the future," Shuttleworth said. "It's one of those enormous waves that is taking over everything--like the Internet."

Shuttleworth's "Ubuntu" family of software programs is based on the Linux open-source operating system, which works on the principle that software is free and can be modified at no cost by anyone to suit local and specific needs--unlike rival M$'s proprietary software.

With quirky names for its programs like "Hoary Hedgehog" and "Warty Warthog," Ubuntu--an African word that means caring for your community and humanity for others--is meant to be simpler to use than other Linux systems.

PC World magazine last year named Ubuntu as the 26th best product of the year--ranking it above Apple Computer's iTunes media player, which was in 34th spot.

Governments in Brazil, China, Spain, India and Malaysia are already using Linux-based systems and Shuttleworth argues free software could slash the cost of getting computers into schools, community centers and homes in Africa.

It could also cut the price of technology for small businesses in the world's poorest continent, where only a fraction of people are computer-literate.

Open source would work particularly well in Africa because countries are starting virtually from scratch in terms of technology and users are not already trained in proprietary versions like M$ Windows.

"Because open source is free, we can share knowledge much faster," Shuttleworth said. "If a kid learns to use a program at school she can take it and download it at home, show it to her parents and even her friends."

M$ is fighting back in Africa.

The computer giant is funding IT centers in 284 of South Africa's municipalities in a project it says will reach half a million of the country's poor.

M$ Chief Executive power hungry greedy Steve Ballmer has dismissed arguments that expensive proprietary software can impede the rollout of computer access to poorer communities, arguing it is about "open choice, not just open source." However, M$ would still like to brainwash students with their Certified Technician Certificates.

South Africa--Africa's richest country--says it "firmly supports" open-source software, but, delighted with M$'s pledges for IT centers and computers in schools, has stopped short of rejecting proprietary software altogether.

M$ upped the ante earlier this year when it launched a Zulu version of its main operating system Windows XP and said Afrikaans and Setswana versions would follow.

Then local managing director Gordon Frazer said the move was not aimed at heading off open-source rivals, but conceded local language versions would curry favor with the government.

"We do recognize that in South Africa where there are 11 official languages, if we want to work with the state we need to work with these languages," he said.

Critics say the fractured nature of the open-source community makes it hard for users to seek help while vendors of proprietary software are obliged to help solve problems.

Ubuntu says it provides comprehensive support services--in fact that is how it makes money--and argues that one of the big advantages of open source for Africa is that programs can be translated for free into local languages.

"Can you imagine learning to try and use a computer and having to do it in a language you don't necessarily speak--not everybody speaks English," said Thoko Mokgosi, chief executive of Hewlett-Packard South Africa.

HP has backed Shuttleworth's campaign to promote open-source software in South Africa, but continues to work with M$. But then again HP is looking at and being investigated for some very serious problems within their own company.

Nhlanhla Mabaso, manager of the Open Source Center at South Africa's government-sponsored Meraka technology institute, says open source is about using Africa's scant resources wisely, and about systems designed for Africans by Africans.

"We missed the industrial age, now we are in the information age and we don't want to miss that too," Mabaso said.

"It is not possible for the one dominant company in the office space to customize the solutions needed to empower people in Africa."
 JOCOLover
Msg: 11 (view)

cleaning lcd screen
Posted: 9/12/2006 6:21:55 AM
For an LCD, purchase a kit from a reptuable computer store or dealer. You will not regret the expense later.

For a CRT with a glass screen, apply Windex, Glass Plus, or nearly any cleaner to a lint-free cloth, then clean the glass. Make it a habit to not apply any chemical directly to the screen except in harsh cases, and then remove immeaditely.

The same proceedures apply to television sets.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 6 (view)

stupid question..i don't care...need help!
Posted: 8/29/2006 4:46:34 PM
You can also download ccleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ and after it has been installed, select Tools from the left pane, then Starup under Tools. Highlight Yahoo and delete it. You should not see it again during startup but you will still have access to it.

Cleaner is an excellent program if it is configured correctly.
 JOCOLover

Windows Vista Prices
Posted: 8/29/2006 4:37:03 PM
Some more info tme

August 28, 2006
Vista prices revealed!
Posted by Ed Bott @ 8:05 am
Digg This!

Update: Amazon now has retail prices for Vista, as well as a projected release date. Details at http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=125

It looks like Microsoft has accidentally leaked some details of the price of its next-generation operating system. At least for customers who live in the Great Frozen North.

The Retail Pricing page at Microsoft Canada lets you choose a product name from a dropdown list and see the current pricing. Surprise! It includes a slew of SKUs for Windows Vista. (Update 28-Aug 8:00AM PDT: Well, that was fast! The Canadian price list I viewed earlier this morning appears to have been taken down, probably to remove the Vista SKUs. That makes the information even more interesting. Oh, and be sure to see my note at the end of this post on the pitfalls of using currency conversions to compare prices in different markets.) The following prices are all in Canadian dollars, and for comparison's sake I've included the retail prices of current versions of Windows XP:

FULL versions (all prices Canadian)

Windows Vista Ultimate $499
Windows XP Professional w/SP2 $429
Windows Vista Business $379
Windows Vista Home Premium $299
Windows Vista Home Basic $259
Windows XP Home w/SP2 $259

UPGRADE versions (all prices Canadian)

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $299
Windows XP Professional w/SP2 Upgrade $259
Windows Vista Business Upgrade $249
Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade $199
Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade $129
Windows XP Home w/SP2 Upgrade $129

In Canada, at least, the rumors of a "modest" price increase were true, based on this list. Will these same relative prices hold true in the U.S.? Who knows? But if they do, then it's mostly good news for Windows customers. There's no price increase for Home Basic. Home Premium, the Vista version that maps most closely to the OEM-only Windows XP Media Center Edition, will finally be available as a retail product for a slight bump over the Home Basic product, similar to the $39 premium typically charged by large OEMs for Media Center upgrades. And Vista Business buyers will get a break with a small discount relative to XP Professional.

Based on current U.S. prices (which I wrote about last week), I would expect Windows Vista to sell in the U.S. for the following prices (full/upgrade):

Windows Vista Ultimate $349/$199
Windows Vista Business $269/179
Windows Vista Home Premium $239/$139
Windows Vista Home Basic $199/$99

Of course, these are guesses only. Some discounts will probably be available in the retail channel. OEM prices will, of course, be significantly lower. And I expect Microsoft to offer some enticing promotions when Windows Vista ships to encourage early adoption.

Full Story at http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=124&tag=nl.e622
 JOCOLover

Online Search Engines
Posted: 8/24/2006 6:07:50 PM
Here's a few you may want to check:

http://www.4anything.com/
http://www.800go.com/800go.html
http://www.alltheweb.com/
http://search.aol.com/
http://search.aol.com/aolcom/webhome
www.altavista.com
http://www.askjeves.com/
http://www.clickheretofind.com/
http://www.dogpile.com/
http://www.dotcomdirectory.com/nsi/basic.hm
http://www.electronsearch.com/
http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_51/excite.html
http://www.excite.com/search_forms/advanced?lang=en&c_type=c_country&c_country=web
http://www.euuu.com/
http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_51/ptfindsites.html
http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_51/webdirectory.html
http://www.freeality.com/
http://www.google.com/
http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_51/goto.html
http://hotbot.lycos.com/
http://www.hotsheet.com/
http://infoseek.go.com/
http://infoseek.go.com/find?pg=advanced_www.html&ud9=advanced_www
http://www.itools.com/search/
http://on-the-inter.net/
http://www.looksmart.com/
http://www.lycos.com/
http://www.mamma.com/index.php3?br_id=337
http://www.mamma.com/
http://search.msn.com/
http://home.netscape.com/escapes/search/ntsrchrnd-9.html
http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_51/netscapesearch.html
http://www.northernlight.com/
http://www.freewebspace.net/search/power.shtml
http://pronet.ca/
http://www.quacko.com/
http://www.itools.com/research-it/
http://www.samspade.org/ssw/
http://www.searchhawk.com/
http://server.snap.com/
http://snap.com/index.php
http://www.stpt.com/
http://www.toseeka.com/
http://www.webcrawler.com/
http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/4_51/webdirectory.html
http://www.ecben.net/calendar.shtml
http://search.yahoo.com/
 JOCOLover
Msg: 11 (view)

Torrents and such
Posted: 8/24/2006 5:58:09 PM
No reason to be locked, just be careful. Make certain your AVP is up to date and scan any download.

A practice I have is to create a folder called downloads and place all my downloads there. After a few days download the latest AVP updates and run a scan on that folder. Has saved me more than once.
 JOCOLover

Advanced Mail Blocking
Posted: 8/22/2006 6:57:37 PM
What a beautiful dream.
 JOCOLover

I have a Bi*ch of a bug HELP!!!
Posted: 8/17/2006 12:34:32 PM
Go to your Control Panel and open Java Plug In and delete the cache. If you do not have the Java Plgin icon,

Go to Windows Explorer, find the file and write down the complete path as it appears in the address window. Reboot into DOS and delete file.

However, since you are having difficulty deleting the file from within Windows, that is a pretty good indication there is some program or app using it. Have you been to an airline company recently? It really looks like you have an app running that is using the file.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 12 (view)

Windows Help Needed - Serious Error
Posted: 8/17/2006 1:10:25 AM
Look at http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts4472224.aspx

Hope this helps.
 JOCOLover

XP Tip, No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
Posted: 8/16/2006 6:27:59 PM
I was wrong. You do not need the original install disk or key. You just need a Windows XP installation disk.

Works great when you have corrupted system files and/or a corrupt or problem with your boot sector which can be caused for example by a corrupt anti-virus program.

Even if you have installed Service Pack 2, repairs can be made.

Saves a great deal of time and you should not lose any data on your drive.
 JOCOLover

HOW TO KNOW YOU'RE GROWING OLD
Posted: 8/13/2006 3:45:16 AM
"And it takes ya all night long to DO what ya used to DO all night long!"

100% CORRECT!

I say that all the time.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 115 (view)

Is the USA in danger of becomeing as bad as Nazi Germany *
Posted: 8/13/2006 3:39:28 AM
"Is the USA in danger of becomeing as bad as Nazi Germany ."

No......... but I might suggest some further research. Some of your statements about Bush, the privacy act, New Orleans, and the Rainbow Tribe are not quite complete. However, you are 100% correct that we are losing more of our freedoms.

Great post. Its good to see that you are capable of individual and intellectual thought. Just be careful not to let emotion sway your thoughts.
 JOCOLover

Lovemaking Tips for Seniors
Posted: 8/12/2006 8:09:59 PM
1. Put on your glasses. Double check that your partner is actually in bed with you.
2. Set timer for two minutes, just in case you doze off in the middle.
3. Set the mood with lighting. Turn them ALL OFF!
4. Make sure you put 911 on your speed dial before you begin.
5. Write partner's name on your hand just in case you can't remember.
6. Keep the Polygrip close by so your teeth don't end up under the bed.
7. Have Extra-Strength Tylenol ready just in case you actually complete what you started.
8. Make all the noise you want. The neighbors are deaf, too.
9. If it happens, call everyone you know with the good news.
10. Don't even think about trying it twice.

A French scientist, after a lengthy study, has discovered that people with declining sexual activity read their e-mails with their right hand on the mouse.

Don't bother taking it off, it's too late.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 66 (view)

Why do some excuse Israel
Posted: 8/12/2006 7:19:52 PM
"I keep seeing many people who support Israeli aggression against the Arabs as people who excuse every extreme method that they commit while blaming the Arabs for it. This is racism to me!"

No, its not racisim nor is it profiling, its the facts. Are there some other groups than Arabs attacking Isreal and want their destruction? Lebanon cannot control their country or the Hezbollah that hides between women and children as shields. Nor did Lebanon want support from any other contry other than terrorist Arabs bent on the destruction of Isreal. Lebanon THOUGHT they could be excused and win sympathy from the global community by their lack of addressing a violent situation. With networks such as CNN (Communist Network News) and other media sources excusing Lebanon,it appears that Lebanon is receiving the sympathy they desire.

Lebanon cannot be excused an an innocent country. By permitting both Syria and Iran to support the Hezbollah, which is a terrorist group and want to see the destruction of Isreal, Lebanon is exposing their hidden agenda.

UN Deputy Secretary-General Mark Malloch Brown recently suggested that Hezbollah was not a terrorist organization and proposed that the Lebanon-based group be granted an honorary seat on the U.N. Security Council as a precursor to full U.N. membership. He said , “We need to think outside the box, and get fresh perspectives” and “Who is a terrorist anyway? And what is a nation? These are artificial labels made by men to pigeon-hole and stereotype others. I think the Security Council could learn a lot from Hezbollah-style diplomacy.”

Mr. Malloch Brown further stated that since Hezbollah is not a terrorist organization, it should be “invited join the U.N. with all the other peace-loving nations that have gathered in New York to thwart the designs of Zionists and crusaders.”

When we allow idiots like Brown to make such ludicrous statements and possibly inflence those actually capable of thinking and seeing the truth, there is something wrong. He might as well invite Bin Laden to the UN. The man is nuts and bonified crazy. If we allow ideals like what he is proposing to occur, the United States needs to remove itself from the UN. The UN is a joke.

Regardless, the kidnapping of two Isreal soldiers started this particuliar mess. Its not ALL the Arabs that are to blame, its the terrorist Arabs to blame. The terrorists that live in hate, do not want Isreal to exist, and attempt to justify their position using insane logic. They hate Jews, Americans and anyone else that support freedom, the freedom of religion and the right to exist. Isreal has the right to exist.

"So Israel can go crazy and kill people and if you provoked him, you deserved it?"

Its not just being provoked. Its the attempt to deny Isreal the right to exist.

"This is the justification for genocide. This is why Hitler got to kill so many people because he got the support from his own people for it!"

Listen to what you are saying. Isreal is not attempting to justify genocide, its the Arab terrorists that are wanting to destroy Isreal, trying to justify their action and attempting to obtain support for it. Isreal has the right to exist. If any comparison can be made to Hitler, it is the Hezbollah. Isreal just wants to be left alone.

Isreal took land that was not wanted and undesireable back in 1948. They grew and prospered and now the terrorist Arabs want it. Envy, jealosy, greed and the hate of Isreal is why the terrorist Arabs do not Isreal.

As far as Isreal deploying extreme methods in their right for survival, the methods are not extreme, they are necessary ard warranted. Place yourself in their shoes and ask whether you want to continue to exist.
 JOCOLover

my pictures
Posted: 8/4/2006 9:29:19 AM
If you don't mind, I would like to attempt addressing the red x issue and will try to do so in layman terms.

This is an issue that not only occurs at POF but other sites as well. Most the time I have discovered it is a rendering issue or a traffic issue on the hostng server. Even if there is sufficient broadband space, a high traffic peak can cause a red x. POF has a LOT of traffic on its server.

The larger the traffic, the more broadband space used. Most sites that do not have a constant high volume cannot justify increasing the purchase of broadband space if the increased traffic only occurs sparadically. Sites like Myspace use a lot of broadband space and costs $$$$$. The site lostcherry is learning quickly about broadband space. Free sites that use a large amount of broadband normally rely on advertizing to help pay for costs. Banners and links may be an eyesore but someone has to pay for the service. There are no free lunches on the Internet.

Regardless, there are several reasons why you may see a red X and unfortuately there is not a universal one set fix for it. A red x can occur with images not only on web pages, but e-mail, PowerPoint presentations, etc. A lot depends upons the Operating System (Ex: Windows XP Service Pack 1), Internet Explorer versions (Ex: Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1), third party security software, virus software, or ad/pop-up blocking software, and some applications such as REAL or Adobe PhotoShop. Not having sufficient space allocated for the browser cache or not enough memory on older graphic cards can also cause the problem but I have not personally seen that to be very common.

1. If the red x occurs on a web page, the first thing to do is try refreshing the page.

Next, try clearing the browser cache and cookies. Cookies can become an issue especially if you see an eye which indicates a Privacy Report. If this is the case, the security settings may need to be adjusted.

If you are using Internet Explorer, try looking at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

If none of the suggestions from M$ help, try a different browser such as Netscape, FireFox or Opera.

A broken link or incorrect url will often cause a red x but I do not really believe that is the issue on the POF site.

2. When a red x occurs and a java app will not run, try looking at
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/redximage.xml

3. If the red x occurs with E-mail using OutLook Express, try looking at
http://www.infopackets.com/freenewsarticles/the+box+with+a+red+x__missing+pictures+in+outlook+express+part+2.htm
files associations

4. If the red x occurs with other M$ products, try looking at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897693

5. If the red x occurs constantly and you are unable to view all images, especially of a certain type, jpg, gif, etc, the problem could be a file association iusue; the image may not be recognized or the viewer is not compatible with the browser and/or version. Many third party image viewers will automatically change the default for an image during installation. This also occurs with some plugins installed to some browsers. Media players are notorious for switching file formats without any alert.

6. If the red x occurs and you are using a satellite, try looking at
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6228

7. If the red x occurs with only sites using frames, you can read about the trouble with frames at

http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/frames/

8. Of course, the red x problem could also be the fault of POF but I really do not think so. The code POF uses is pretty clean for the most part. I personally have tried several different browsers and the red x issue did not occur.

9. Some internet service providers, portals and servers in Canada or any foreign country can also cause the issue. That is why you may hear the word "compatible" on occasion. All it takes is one small bug in a server preventing the transmission of an image to cause a problem. However, when a server issue occurs, the internet server provider is normally swammped with calls.

10. You may just have a corrupt OS and/or various file.

*** A word of caution and sincere reccommendation: Should a change to the registry be recommended (even by Jesus Christ) in an attempt to correct the red x issue, make certain the existing registry is backed-up first. Consider it a rule that should be followed just like scanning downloads and attachments to e-mail. All it takes is one time not following the rule of creating a backup or scanning a file to cause a considerable amount of grief.

Hopefully something from the above will help as the red x can be annoying and be very frustrating.
 JOCOLover
Msg: 7 (view)

Dell Laptop Help
Posted: 8/2/2006 10:48:56 PM
"I hate dell and microsoft so my next laptop will be an ibook. haha :) "

You are not the only one:

http://digg.com/apple/Dell_Employees_Hate_Dell_Buy_Apple_Products_Instead

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/apple/dell-employees-hate-dell-buy-apple-products-instead-189594.php

http://www.ihatedell.net/

http://ihatedell.org/
 JOCOLover

This is how bad tech support has gotten
Posted: 8/2/2006 9:39:27 PM
Hello Glenn,

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Thank you for contacting eMachines.

I see that you want the upgarde version of the firmware of your DVD drive.

Are you aware that upgrading the memory in your computer can boost your overall performance?

Sincerely,

Tech Support Idiot
Badge CIM12

Gateway, Technology You Can trust
AOL Membership Included On All Home PC's
Additional phone charges may apply.

---------------------------------------------

Gateway announced on March 11, 2004 that it had acquired eMachines.
 JOCOLover

instant message
Posted: 7/31/2006 11:46:41 AM
Go to http://www.plentyoffish.com/faq.aspx#IMhelp

Show ALL Forums