Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Do we judge our 'date' on his/her car?
 ir82
Msg: 124 (view)

Do we judge our 'date' on his/her car?
Posted: 4/1/2013 3:42:34 PM
I drive a Fiat Panda I am not sure what that makes me! I did buy it brand new, but it is base spec. It has four wheels, it has an engine. It goes. I actually think a flash car would not attract the right kind of women anyway. I bought the car because I wanted something comfortable, reliable, none flashy but also a bit of fun. And the Panda is a very good fun car to drive because it has mini like handling.
 ir82
Msg: 54 (view)

When is the Job Market gonna improve in the UK?
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:21:26 PM
I am self employed and things are only get tougher. I don't make a fortune but I stick at it because at least I have a job. The problem is stories like the OPs just put me off getting any more qualififcations.
 ir82
Msg: 21 (view)

When I Grow Up I Want to Be...
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:14:31 PM
I am 30 now and still don't know what I want to do. The problem is my passions are not something to easily make money out. I am currently in IT support, I run my own small business but I am hoping to move on from that.

I have a degree and a basic teaching qualification but I really don't know what I want to with them.
 ir82
Msg: 13 (view)

Are you put off by a Disability
Posted: 9/12/2012 6:14:10 AM
It is a bit different, if I loved a person and they fell ill of course I would care for them and look after them, but if I knew I had have to do all that before I went went on a date it is a different kettle of fish.

I hope I am making sense.
 ir82
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 9/12/2012 6:02:42 AM
To MSG9, Do you go out with that guy or is he just a friend?
 ir82
Msg: 36 (view)

Benefit of the doubt?
Posted: 9/12/2012 3:59:51 AM
Perhaps a moral of the story is, never put too much effort into a first meet!
 ir82
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 9/12/2012 3:45:34 AM
I personally wouldn't be bothered if it didn't restrict what we could do too much. It does depend on what the disability is though, I am looking for a partner, not looking to become a full time carer.

I have high frequency hearing loss which can make some social situations difficult I find it harder to understand female voices because of it. However I choose not to wear hearing aids because I found society judges you, but maybe that is all in my imagination.
 ir82
Msg: 17 (view)

Dates - who pays and what it means?
Posted: 9/10/2012 9:57:58 AM
Both pay half each or the cost of who has spent what. If the girl insisted I pay, I would assume she is only after my money. If she insisted I she will pay, I would assume she is insulting me!.
 ir82
Msg: 37 (view)

Relationship with someone with a different nationality
Posted: 9/10/2012 6:15:27 AM
I used to go out with somebody of different race and relgion, but she was British and a none believer wasn't that much of an issue.

However if I dated somebody from a different country I think perhaps culture may be a problem. My culture is very very British or even northern. I work and live for the weekend.

I think dating any European girl (as longs as they could speak good English) or American, Australian or Irish would not be an issue at all, as longs as they liked similar music and drank alchohol.
 ir82
Msg: 29 (view)

Does music influence who you go out with?
Posted: 9/10/2012 6:08:02 AM
I think there are some extreme examples and views. For me a girl simply needs to like alternative music and from their we already have something in common. I like most rock, indie and punk and even folk. I wouldn't expect her to be into exactly the same stuff I am into, but I would like to think we could go to a rock or indie club and both enjoy the music.

I also love discovering new music and music is a hobby I would want to share with my partner, it is not going to happen is she is into rnb and dance, as my tastes are as far removed as possible to that.
 ir82
Msg: 1 (view)

How did you mean your previous/current partners?
Posted: 8/27/2012 2:31:20 PM
I am very lucky to have never been on many proper dates. My first girlfriend we met on a chat room and it just happened I met her at a party and that was that though long distance got in the way too much sadly, I could have probably offered to move down there and at the time she would have loved that, but I was too young and stupid (or perhaps too wise!).

The second one I did go on a few dates with before it became more serious and I remember I enjoyed them very much mostly informal restaurants and pubs.

I am self employed so never had the chance to meet people at work and at university my course was all male. I did recently do a basic teaching course which had a lot of girls on it but it was only for a few months once a week.
 ir82
Msg: 89 (view)

Mods, Rockers or Punks...
Posted: 8/21/2012 6:29:42 AM
I still am a punk, well into the music anyway and go to the big festivals such as Rebellion. I don't sit on street corners drinking cider all day though!.

Most my mates are also into punk music and I guess that is is a big influence on me, I was already into punk and indie and gradually got introduced to Ska through my mates and clubbing. As I get older I seem to get more into the punk scene and I don't care what people say, it is not dead!.

I do also have a love for Indie music as well, which is probably looked down on by some, but you can't beat a bit of Smiths or the Cure. Of course a lot of indie is heavily influenced by punk anyway.
 ir82
Msg: 7 (view)

Social housing sell off
Posted: 8/21/2012 6:25:11 AM
I like the idea. I am almost 30 and am struggling to ever be able to afford a mortgage etc. I work full time and work damn hard but trapped into private renting. More social housing would bring down private sector rents due to an increase supply of affordable housing.

I don't see why people have the right to live in posh areas if they can't afford it. People have to move to poorer areas all the time as it is all they can afford. If selling expensive properties means more social housing I am all for it, providing the money does get spend on that.
 ir82

What do you think of my profile?
Posted: 8/21/2012 6:18:51 AM
Here is my profile.

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=17443439

I wanted it to be funny and not too serious but I wonder if it might put people of? Reading my profile what impression does it give?

I am worried that my profile makes me sound like a bit of a drunk!

Thanks
 ir82
Msg: 3 (view)

Mad / Crazy on profile = attention seeking and/or unstable?
Posted: 7/12/2012 3:18:08 PM
Mine is a bit like that, but I just see it as being light hearted. I make fun of myself on it.
 ir82
Msg: 7 (view)

Too old for clubbing?
Posted: 7/12/2012 1:36:47 PM
Never really experienced that, although you do sometimes get a bit of drink split on you, I don't think it is because people are drunk but just because the places can be crowded and people are pushing through the crowds.

But as I said the sort of chain night club e.g Oceana is my idea of hell.
 ir82
Msg: 6 (view)

Too old for clubbing?
Posted: 7/12/2012 1:00:26 PM
Haha no, somebody just asked me where I was getting cheap drinks from :). I replied.
 ir82
Msg: 5 (view)

Too old for clubbing?
Posted: 7/12/2012 12:24:32 PM
Satan's Hollow and FAB Cafe (more of a bar) both have pints for less than £3.00 :).

They are £2.90 in Legends rock nights too.

There isn't really many rock clubs left in Manchester now, there was a boom in new club nights after Jilly's closed but it has all calmed down now

Don't bother with indie clubs now as I am too old, but I do occasionaly frequent FAC251. Fab Cafe is a good compromise as they play all sorts of music including indie and it is cheap and less hassle than a club.
 ir82
Msg: 27 (view)

Would guys have a relationship with a girl who has a disability?
Posted: 7/8/2012 9:23:58 AM
It really does depend what the disability is, I like independent women but even if you're in a wheel chair you can still have some independence.

It really shouldn't be an issue, it might be inconvenient and times and obviously affect things, but I can't see why it would stop you from having a good relationship. Of course it does depend on what exactly what the condition is.
 ir82
Msg: 28 (view)

Why do you want a partner
Posted: 7/8/2012 9:18:26 AM
I think some interesting points have been made, and I think I always do need my space and I am actually quite happy on my own now, BUT the idea of being on my own forever scares me.
 ir82
Msg: 4 (view)

Too old for clubbing?
Posted: 7/8/2012 9:16:04 AM
I think there is different ideas of clubbing too. The clubs I go to tend to be either free entry (if I have the right pass!) or £4 in. Then £3 a pint or less etc and the freedom to go outside and get a burger or what ever half way through. I suppose rock/indie clubs are more about the music and less about the cattle market side of things.

The idea of a typical club with chart music and bag searches etc is my idea of hell.

You are right about the frame of mind too, sometimes I have a crap night and hate it, but it is because for what ever reason I was not in the mood. Had a very good week with my business last week so it is not surprising perhaps really enjoyed it on Friday night.
 ir82
Msg: 2 (view)

Too old for clubbing?
Posted: 7/7/2012 4:30:08 PM
Hehe I suppose I am lucky living in Manchester there is so much choice. I have never been to a commercial club in my life as that would be my idea of hell, but always go to indie and rock clubs. I think these are perhaps in some ways more gentrified than mainstream clubs. I have never been searched for drugs ever.

For me I just beer, lights and music and clubbing combines all three :).
 ir82

Too old for clubbing?
Posted: 7/7/2012 4:15:56 PM
I have seen several comments from people in their early 30's saying they are too old for clubbing? I am 30 next month and I still plan to be an active clubber. I went to my regular rock club last night, I usually go on Saturdays but I was out last night instead. Friday nights it tends to be aimed at the younger people, but at 29 while I was one of the older ones there I was by far not the oldest and I find young crowd tend to like a few older people in there.

Maybe if I settle down and have kids or what ever I will have more important things to do with my time, but while I am single and fancy free is there ever an age limit?

In fact the older I get the later I tend to stay out!
 ir82
Msg: 9 (view)

Indie
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:57:50 PM
I do love a lot of indie but I am finding some of the modern bands a bit blind. Stuff like Specter is pretty average. I do love the Vaccines though, I was wowed when I first heard them. I am more of a classic indie fan though, stuff like the Cure, the Smiths, New Order, Stone Roses, Pulp etc.

I like most music really, I just hate modern RNB with a passion and I am not don't like hip hop that much either. Give me punk/indie/classic rock any day.
 ir82
Msg: 9 (view)

Interests
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:36:39 PM
I have listed mine I am into photography but its all stuff like landscapes and buildings etc. A lot of my hobbies are a bit geeky so I have missed them off. I doubt any girl would be impressed with me mentioning my HIFI system etc!

I am also into cars but I don't spend money on them, in fact I drive a Fiat Panda :).
 ir82
Msg: 20 (view)

Why do you want a partner
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:32:22 PM
Simply because I don't want to spend the rest of my life on my own. I am knocking on 30 and the prospect of dying in a rest home with no friends and family really scares the hell out of me.

From a financial point of view it is also a lot easier if you're a couple as there will be a double income. All my friends have partners too so I feel like I am missing out!
 ir82
Msg: 59 (view)

Degrees or not
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:30:02 PM
For me going to university was a major part of my life so my degree is important to me and has given me options I would not have already had. Personally though I am not bothered if a woman has a degree or not. I do think been educated to at least A level (Level 3) is important though.

Education is not really that important to me (I do have several qualifications) but I didn't bother with a masters or anything like that. I suppose I am just very open minded about the entire thing really.
 ir82
Msg: 46 (view)

Musical guilty pleasures
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:23:24 PM
Mine is probably the Safety Dance by Men without hats. I always have to dance to it on the dance floor. Also I do like a bit of ABBA they are a decent band just very uncool.
 ir82
Msg: 18 (view)

What is Indie Music?
Posted: 7/3/2011 3:27:50 PM
I am from Manchester, so indie has been a big part of my culture. Everything from the Smiths, James, New Order, Smiths etc.

I suppose you could say Oasis is the indie sort of sound. More recently bands like the Courteeners, The Wombats and Artic Monkeys have modernised the indie sound.

Then you also have none indie bands like the Cure, who are closely associated with the scene.
 ir82

Does music influence who you go out with?
Posted: 7/3/2011 3:24:39 PM
At one point it didn't, but my current life is so heavily organised around rock clubs and rock music that I don't think I could go out with a girl who was into chart music etc. That said I do like a lot wide variety of music, everything from Simon and Garfunkel, Iron Maiden and the Smiths.

Really I like anything guitar based, but I also like the early 80's electronic sound e.g Depeche Mode.

Anybody else like this, how much does music taste affect who you go out with?

Show ALL Forums