Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: POF is bottom of the barrel
 ohenryx
Msg: 48 (view)

POF is bottom of the barrel
Posted: 12/17/2017 8:45:58 AM

mrod3041
With regard to the quality of POF, I refer everyone to this paper by Akerlof, who happened to win the Nobel in 2001 and is Yellen's husband (Yellen is the Fed Reserve Chairwoman). Excellent paper and really easy for anyone to read. POF and/or the concept of online dating can be related to ideas in the paper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons

An interesting article. And a very obvious, but still interesting conclusion. I have observed this exact same phenomenon in the used car market. I tend to buy a new car every couple of years, and I often sell the old one myself, rather than trade it in. Which leaves me in a position of selling a low mileage, very clean late model car. And I definitely ask for well above the “average market value”, and I always get it. Sometimes it takes a while, and you have to run a good ad, lots of pictures, and emphasize the positive qualities.

Which does rather remind me of OLD…
 ohenryx
Msg: 241 (view)

this thread is making me hungry
Posted: 12/17/2017 7:53:39 AM

NewYorker58
Maybe Henry feels threatened to think there are many more larger penises floating out there.

Thanks for playing, but your answer is incorrect. I’m actually at the 91st percentile, not as good as some of my scores in other areas, but plenty good enough. I only brought this up in relation to a story I was telling about what some young woman posted here in the forums many years ago.

Whatever the percentage is, it wouldn't apply if you live in WA state where they're easily seen.

Okay, you’re going to have to explain this one. I will admit that it’s been a while since I’ve been to Washington state, but I think if the whole state had gone nudist, I would have seen something on the evening news?

mrod3041
no one mentioned/implied 100% accuracy).

Very true. All numbers posted here have been approximations, based on very quick google searches. But even if the results were off by one order of magnitude, the point would still be valid.

Danimal, in msg 231, did a better job of trying to explain the concept to the math challenged.

Kate Moss
Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

I absolutely cannot identify with this. “Skinny” does not cut it for me, never did, never will. Which does not mean I prefer overweight, there is a very happy middle ground.
 ohenryx
Msg: 234 (view)

Posted: 12/16/2017 11:48:05 AM

gtomustang
in other words, scientific findings are trumped by tribal customs? amazing.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/the-truth-about-galileo-and-his-conflict-with-the-catholic-church

Follow that link to read about the Catholic Church prosecuting Galileo for espousing that the earth revolved around the sun. Sounds like we haven’t come that far in the last 4 centuries. Well, except for the part about torture. These days we won’t torture you unless you’re Arabic.
 ohenryx
Msg: 232 (view)

Posted: 12/16/2017 6:34:35 AM

Sweet_Danimal
Real life is science, not what 'feels' right.

Dan, you’re wasting your time. The world is full of people who do not understand math, and don’t really believe in science (mostly because they don’t understand it?)

Isaac Asimov Column in Newsweek, 21 January 1980

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
 ohenryx
Msg: 60 (view)

An exercise in human behavior: Has dishonor permeated unassuming and marginally attractive women?
Posted: 12/15/2017 8:36:13 AM
If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he marries her then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
You'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ugly woman cooks meals on time
She'll always give you peace of mind

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

Say man!
Hey baby!
I saw your wife the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, an' she's ugly!
Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!
Yeah, alright!

ohenryx
Msg: 227 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2017 8:21:22 AM

NewYorker58
Henry, you didn't apply logistics. You could tell me statistics say that I have a 20% chance of finding fresh mozzarella in a store. Thing is, if I was still living in New York, there would be a 90% chance, for arguments sake. Also, who are these people that know the penis size of men? Some of these numbers are speculation. You may think the end numbers can't be refuted, but they can if they're based on wrong numbers.

Oh, my goodness. I’m wasting my time arguing with someone who doesn’t believe in science and the scientific method. I quit. You may now live your life in darkness and ignorance, your choice.

On the subject of eating, and comfort food, etc. I have an eating problem, I know it, I acknowledge it. My weight has gone up and down my entire life, it is never stable. Or at least not without a lot of work on my part.

I know a number of people with drinking problems, some of them true alcoholics. I have as a result studied 12 step programs like AA. It has occurred to me, more than once, that my life would be simpler if I could simply give up eating, instead of striving every day to control my eating. To eat rabbit food, instead of the things I enjoy, such as pizza, mac-n-cheese, and oh so many others.

But that is not to be, so I accept my fate, and go on. An eating problem is not the worst thing in the world. Unlike alcoholics, I can hold down a job (a good job at that), and pretty much live a normal life.
 ohenryx
Msg: 22 (view)

Can say any thing now but should you?
Posted: 12/15/2017 8:01:48 AM
Oops, while I was writing my post in Winword, GTO snuck in an intervening post. My writings below are in response to message 20 from TPOYD.

^^^ It was a little more complex than that. The forums “disappeared for a while” after Abelian had deleted his profile. It seems that the idiot software that drives the forums grants you “moderator” privileges based only on your “name”, not on your guaranteed unique user number. And trust me, you do have a number, the site could not run without using numbers.

After abelian deleted his profile, someone who knew how this worked, and had a grudge, created a new profile, and named himself “abelian”. Bingo, just like that, he had moderator privileges on the forums. This person (and I’ve never heard who it actually was) wreaked havoc, so badly they had to take down the forums for several days and attempt to rebuild.

Actually, it was a little worse than that. Cowboy, who was a former moderator and knew how the system worked, created a profile under the name “abelian” as soon as he saw that the real abelian had deleted his profile. He did this to try and prevent the mayhem that did eventually occur. After creating this fake abelian, Cowboy attempted to notify the powers that be of what he had done, and what they needed to do to prevent mayhem.

By that time, outside of the real system administrators, there was one and only one forums moderator, the woman who runs the events forum. She told Cowboy that he was in violation of the rules for having two profiles, and to delete his second profile immediately.

If you do a google search, you can find interviews with Markus wherein he brags about how cheap this place is to run (not the forums, the dating side). He gets by with a ridiculously small number of servers, and almost no manpower. And it shows. Boy does it show.
 ohenryx
Msg: 207 (view)

pof girls eat and leave
Posted: 12/14/2017 10:43:53 AM

gtomustang
honestly, in the years I've been here, its practically traceable. but hey, its like explaining math :) either one sees the Matrix, or one does not.

Well, it is kinda sorta based on math, it is a cycle, it can be expressed in numbers, so …

As for the New York Daily News, they've had some classic covers, like accusing Ford of telling the city to drop dead.

I think my all time favorite cover on the New York Daily News was when they told Ted Cruz to take the F U Train. A classic, to be sure. But this one was almost as good. For those who missed it, Roy Moore dressed up in his cowboy garb, and rode his horse to the polling place this last Tuesday. Which of course made the news, just as it was intended to. Then, after he had lost, the Daily News put a picture of him on his horse on the front cover, with the headline, “SCREW YOU & HORSE YOU RODE IN ON”. It was amusing.
 ohenryx
Msg: 474 (view)

Am I being made to feel less than a woman for lack of 'assets'?
Posted: 12/14/2017 8:22:41 AM

gtomustang
"why, are you asking me out? Because my bf just bought me a house"

My knee-jerk response felt like it should be, "uh, I wasn't asking what the price of admission was"

I’ve never encountered the “just bought me a house”, but back many, many years ago, a friend and I were out drinking and dancing in a hot night spot. My friend was working on a very hot number, he had danced with her a couple of times, then brought her back to our table and bought her a drink. At some point she drops a bombshell,

“My boyfriend is taking me to Paris next month.”

My immediate thought was, “If you have boyfriend, and he’s that serious, what the Hell are you doing down here doing this?”

My friend, who was noted for his quick wit, came up with a much better response.

“I don’t blame you. I’d put out for a trip to Paris too.”

And yes, she did go home with him that night. I had to take a taxi home, but such are the fortunes of war.
 ohenryx
Msg: 199 (view)

Posted: 12/14/2017 8:00:59 AM
A very, very long time ago, I was told, “The world is divided into two groups: those who understand math, and those who don’t.” And it is, of course, a great waste of time to try and explain anything mathematical to those who just don’t get it. Probably easier to teach that proverbial horse to sing. And speaking of horses, did you see that cover on the New York Daily News? Priceless.

Robert Heinlein once said, “Being bisexual doubles your chances of a date for Saturday night.” That far I am NOT willing to go. But I will definitely accept a woman who is a little off the ideal height or weight or hair color or …
 ohenryx
Msg: 466 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2017 6:51:12 PM
I never said that I liked line dances, and I never mentioned the Cupid Shuffle. Actually, I never do line dances. When I dance, I dance with a woman, a particular woman, not some random group. But when I’m working, I do take requests and I do try to please the people.

Well, I take some requests. I get a lot of requests for music that is just flat not danceable, and I politely decline those requests. “Sorry, don’t have that one.” If I get a request that I think some of the people will dance to, I’m all in. And let’s face it, line dances are popular, so I go with the flow. I just sit back and watch myself.

One of the Meetup events I sometimes attend is a singles dance at a big church over on the west side (read: high rent district). Yeah, I know, me in a church, and the roof didn’t fall in, and I wasn’t struck by lightning! But.. They have a DJ for their events, I’m not too crazy about his music selections (a little too much C&W for me), but he does something called a “waterfall”. If you’re not familiar with it, it works like this:

The women line up down one side of the room, and the men down the other side. The two lines come together at the head of the room, you take whatever woman is at the head of her line when you get there, and you dance down the room. At the other end, you separate, and join the end of the line to move back up the room and start over again. As there will always be an uneven number of men and women, every time you get to the head of the line, you will dance with someone different. The DJ keeps the music going for 10 to 15 minutes straight, and you wind up dancing with a lot of different women.
 ohenryx
Msg: 188 (view)

pof girls eat and leave
Posted: 12/13/2017 3:25:14 PM

NewYorker58
What that girl wants, it's easily doable, especially if the woman lives in a state with tall men like I do. A lot of successful men are tall.

You’re not getting it. Let’s do some math here, hopefully I won’t screw this up.

A quick google search says 14% of men are 6 feet tall.

37% have at minimum a college degree.

3% are considered “physically fit”. This one is open to interpretation and argument, what is physically fit?

And the worst number, only 0.5% (one in 200 men) have 8 inches or more. Now if you multiply those numbers out:

.14 * .37 * .03 * .005 = .000000777

What we’re talking about here is roughly 8 men out of every one million. And I haven’t even factored in the age.

Every time you take a number, and multiply it by a percentage (anything less than 100%), the number gets smaller. And every time you multiply it by another number less than 100%, it gets smaller, again and again. The more factors you work in, the more deal breakers you have, the smaller your dating pool becomes. Until the odds of you actually finding someone are somewhere between slim and none.

Census data for 2010 says 26.6% of the population is between 25 to 44. That’s a spread of 19 years, so assuming it’s a linear spread, that’s 1.4% for each year. 28 to 30 is 3 years, or 3 * 1.4% is 4.2%. Add in the age spread, and she is down to only having one-third of a man out a pool of one million.

ohenryx
Msg: 452 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2017 2:48:24 PM

NewYorker58
Those that need to show off their good-looking dates have low self-esteem.

Bull hockey. My self esteem is just fine. Some would even say, too good! (smile)

My ex-husband was that way. Quite a lot of men out there get their self esteem from who they're dating and what they look like.

Now I’m not going to say in the history of mankind this has never happened. I’m sure it has. But in the majority of cases, the GREAT majority of cases, men want the good looking woman, the real hotttie, because she makes his p____ hard.

Joseph Wambaugh, who wrote a whole series of novels about police work, is perhaps most famous for the method he invented of rating women, based strictly on the quality of the erections said woman could induce.

I don’t remember all of the ratings off the top of my head, but I do remember the top two. Somebody give me a drum roll, and we’ll do a Dave Letterman top five count down.

Number two: Blue veiner

And (wait for it) Number one: Diamond cutter!
 ohenryx
Msg: 180 (view)

pof girls eat and leave
Posted: 12/13/2017 10:45:24 AM

So many out there have qualified and classified their 'attraction' in terms of multiple item checklists and superficial statistics (and lie to themselves calling it "compatibility"), that by the time they even bother giving someone the time of day, they've eliminated most of the real world from contention - before ANY chance of true compatibility or chemistry can happen.

A few years back, some young woman came on the forums and told the world what she wanted in a man. 6 feet or taller, physically fit, age 28 to 30, well educated. And, oh yeah, at least 8 inches.

Abelian, being a “numbers” kind of guy, looked up the statistics, did the math, and informed her that only 1 man in 500,000 would match her requirements. (Actually, I don’t remember exactly what the numbers were, but it was staggeringly high.)

I found it rather amusing, myself. But it illustrates quite well exactly what Danimal is talking about.
 ohenryx
Msg: 178 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2017 10:37:12 AM

spot4username
If I look at my matches right now one of the first ones that populates in the search has a headline that reads "Let's have dinner at The Ritz". I can only imagine the fish he catches with the bait he chooses to fish with. Do we blame the women who take him up on his offer? Do we blame him for making the offer?

A few years back, one of the local TV stations ran a news story about a local charter flight company who were offering “romance flights”. The local stations are always trying to titillate without crossing the line, and there’s nothing like sex to bring up the ratings for your evening local news. They had enclosed the rear 2/3 of a 6 seat airplane to offer privacy, and for a few hundred dollars they would take a couple up and circle the city for an hour or so.

It was a very interesting way to “get lucky” with some very attractive women who might not otherwise have even given me the time of day.

NewYorker58
Personally, I'd rather go out, enjoy life and get laid.

Wait a minute, wait a minute – this was posted by a woman? And NY58 at that? Nah, I think her accounts been hacked.
 ohenryx
Msg: 442 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2017 10:03:19 AM

gtomustang
I will be the lowlife who admits, some people...don't offer much more than sex.

TPOYD
I will be the lowlife who admits to being one of those people.

Not me, I offer a lot more than sex. There’s oral, and anal, and BDSM, and …

Oh, wait, those are all sex too. Never mind.

benartflick
Oenry, how many songs do you remember coming out in the 60's compared to songs coming out in every decade afterwards?

Oenry ?? Is that like “ornery”? I guess that would fit, I can definitely be a grouchy old man. You kids get off my grass, by the way.

But to answer your question: I remember a lot of music from the 60s. And a lot of music from the 70s, and the 80s. When I DJ, the crowd is almost entirely in their 50s and 60s. I always have different playlists, and I try out different genres, different time periods, seeing what the crowd will react to, what will get them up on their feet.

And I have a few “modern” or semi-modern songs that I always play, as everyone knows them and will dance. Uptown Funk for one.

And let us not forget line dances, always very popular. There are always more women wanting to dance than men willing to dance. Men being idiots for the most part. But I digress…
 ohenryx
Msg: 436 (view)

Posted: 12/12/2017 2:28:14 PM

NewYorker58
Some guys want to help, as in help themselves into your pants. It's also a money saver to see a woman that way without taking her out someplace. What a bore!

You’re taking quite a bit of heat over this one. And mostly I’m in agreement with those who are taking you to task over your statement.

But … when I first read your statement, I had a different idea of what you meant. I thought you were speaking of a guy actually offering to help, as in fix the leaking faucet on your sink, and you in turn make him dinner, and just maybe, you both “get lucky”. If that was indeed what you meant, and your reaction to that was “What a bore!”, well …

I personally would rather take an attractive woman out to dinner instead of work on her leaky faucet, but the world is full of men who have more time and mechanical skills than pocket money. And I would never put down anyone in that category.

Underneath it all, either way you meant it, TPOYD has it right – your sex is NOT supposed to be a reward, you are NOT supposed to barter it. But we all know, many women (most women?) do tend to barter it.

halcyon_skies
Most guys want an attractive woman they can feel proud to be seen with.

That has to be one of the most self evident statements that I have ever seen, anywhere, by anyone.
 ohenryx
Msg: 426 (view)

Posted: 12/11/2017 11:12:21 AM

gtomustang
We sure aren't in the 1970's anymore, I have the books from back then, attitudes were certainly different :)

Two important things to remember:

1) Most of the 60s actually happened in the 70s.
2) If you remember the 60s, you weren’t actually there.
 ohenryx
Msg: 423 (view)

Posted: 12/9/2017 11:45:51 PM
With someone working in the public eye (bank teller, waitress, bartender), you never know. And really, there’s only one way you’re going to find out. Which is to give it a try.

I dated one bank teller, this was … damn, back in the 70’s. I was about 24 or 25, I was banking at a small local bank, and they hired this incredibly beautiful young woman as a teller. Really one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever dated. It was a rather different experience. This was back in the 70’s, and there were a lot of people living what you might call “alternative life styles”, and this woman was definitely in that group.

She was not interested in any kind of “old fashioned” relationship. She loved to dance, and she really liked sex, and we did a lot of both. And she was also sleeping with the President of the bank in order to get ahead, and not hiding that from me or anyone. Well, except maybe from the Bank President’s wife.

It was a really fun trip for as long as it lasted, maybe the best part of a year.

All I can say, GTO, is “Give it your best shot.” Back about 300 years ago, someone wrote “Faint heart never won fair maiden”, and that is just as true today as it was then.
 ohenryx
Msg: 65 (view)

Message response rate
Posted: 12/9/2017 11:29:36 PM

DJ Henry X! The hip record scratcher from POF! ;)

Well, not quite. I don’t have a turntable, just a computer, a microphone, a mixer, and a couple of big PA speakers. And, oh yeah, about 53,000 mp3 files.

I DJed for a private party this evening. I met the women who were having the party through Meetup, but this was not a Meetup event. Some very attractive women at this party, I danced all night, and have 2 dates for next week, one to go dancing, another for a movie (I want to see that new Morgan Freeman / Tommy Lee Jones movie).

I think a part of this is the season. There’s another thread somewhere here in these forums about “cuffing season”, and I do believe that plays a part in it.

there'd be a significant less # of people (namely guys) going to the groups of mixed genders. :) But YMMV depending on what type of group it is.

Funny thing, two of the Meetup groups I belong to are now have a nearly even ratio of men and women at the average event. A couple of years ago, it would normally run 3:1 or 4:1, many more women than men. But these days it’s coming close to 1:1. I suspect word got around, and more men started showing up.
 ohenryx
Msg: 104 (view)

pof girls eat and leave
Posted: 12/8/2017 6:04:05 PM

I have actually thought about doing the Mickey Dees thing one day, and act all serious about it to see the reaction. It would probably be H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.

Quite a few years back, in one of the really long running threads, McD came up. If memory serves, it was the same thread where I first learned that using a coupon on a date was the worst faux pas imaginable. Who knew?

Anyway, some man commented that he had met women for coffee dates at McDonalds. After all, they are everywhere, and they do have good coffee these days. An unbelievable furor erupted. It was fun to watch, truly it was.
 ohenryx
Msg: 416 (view)

Posted: 12/8/2017 5:49:15 PM
Hey, it actually snowed here in Houston last night! Very rare indeed. It all melted when it hit the ground, but this morning cars, roofs, bushes, the tops of fences – all white and very Christmasy.

GTO, hit on that hot teller! I’m telling you man go for it! Just jump in there with both feet, but smoothly.

I don’t know if you’re available, but if you are I would love to buy you dinner some time and get to know you a little better?

The great majority of women will take this as a compliment, even if they think they’re out of your league, even if they’re already taken, they still like to know that men find them attractive.

As long as you’re smooth about it, there is almost zero chance of any downside.

And on the subject of “being seen as a bank account” – You’ve got to remember that women do see these things differently. Men are problem solvers, they think when a woman tells you her problems, you are supposed to solve those problems. But often that isn’t the case. She simply wants a sympathetic ear.

And being seen as a “bank account” is not the worst thing that has ever happened to me. As long as I’m a “bank account with a penis attached”, we have some common ground to work from. (smile)

I will admit that I am not fond of women with grown kids still attached. It irritates me in a perverse way. But if she’s hot, you KNOW there will have to be a downside somewhere. It’s some kind of law of nature. Just how hot IS she? Hmmm….
 ohenryx
Msg: 100 (view)

Advice on keeping her interested
Posted: 12/7/2017 7:27:48 PM

NewYorker58
Henry, what did you post to get that ban? I thought no one was moderating here.

This happened maybe 4 years ago. MsA (Allyson or something like that) was the head moderator, and she was a holy terror. She definitely did not like men, and she didn’t seem to care for most women either.

Some woman, long since gone, posted in the middle of a long thread about a different subject, complaining that she wasn’t getting any initial messages from men. I took a look at her profile, and every picture showed her in the gym lifting heavy weights. I’m talking HEAVY weights, this woman was a serious gym rat. I replied to her post, and told her that most men were going to find her profile intimidating, and suggested that she post pictures that looked a little more feminine.

Bang, MsA was all over me like white on rice. No new threads, 10 posts per day, no short posts, etc. I don’t think it was supposed to be permanent, but when all of the moderators were gone, there was no one left to remove my partial ban.

Back in those days, they did not inform you of the ban, they just left it for you to figure out afterwards. One of the more serious arguments I had with Cowboy was over that exact topic. He was an ex-moderator, and he defended the practice, saying people didn’t need to be told when they were punished or why they were being punished. Seemed awfully damned arbitrary to me.

Most of the people who were left with partial bans when things fell apart, just created a new userid and went on about their business. Myself, I’m too damn stubborn, and I like seeing “Joined: 3/12/2010” next to my posts. I will say this though: If / when I hear of Ms A passing, I intend to take a trip to p___ on her grave.

Anyway, my thanks to you, and 9Pluto, and CT (aka DirteeJohn), and GTO for the suggestions on music.
 ohenryx
Msg: 12 (view)

POF as Car Catalog
Posted: 12/7/2017 7:01:03 PM

whosmeow
OP- Internet dating has slowly evolved into what it is today. Back in the mid eighties when I first used this site to actually date I had a lot of fun.

“mid eighties” ?? Really?? Man, you gotta ease up on them drugs, I’m tellin’ ya for your own good.

Oh, wait, that was a woman. Whatever.
 ohenryx
Msg: 63 (view)

Message response rate
Posted: 12/7/2017 6:56:20 PM
Interesting. I don’t go to very many weddings, don’t know that many people getting married, to tell you the truth. I was at one wedding recently ( I did the music), and that couple met through a Meetup event. And I was invited to another wedding, which I skipped, and they also met through Meetup.
 ohenryx
Msg: 413 (view)

Posted: 12/7/2017 6:45:51 PM

gtomustang
I remembered one Aphrodite woman I had met in college, she wasn't just hawt, she looked like she brought the party with her. She went fun places, b/c she wouldn't be bored. Or maybe she got brought to some, by a dude hoping to get lucky. She tried a variety of things, just to try them. If they were a dud, then she found a way to laugh about it. Even in a boring Eng Lit college class, she could find a way to make it fun.

Even if she wasn't good looking, guys would want to date her on the notion she was going to make their boring routines, more fun. she was going to put into their lives, what was missing. there are women like that, or I guess its better to say, there are women who men view as being that person. and to be blunt, she's a "ticket" into some places that might just be too cool for us...no one questions what we're doing there, if SHE is willing to be with us. sounds a bit like we're putting her on a pedestal, eh? ah, the issues of youth, when we don't know any better.

When I was younger, I was lucky enough to know several women who fit that description. It is amazing when you find one, truly amazing, and will change your life. For the better.

I don’t think you can ever hold on to such a woman, at least not for very long. She is far too valuable, too much competition. But what a fun ride while it lasts.

Henry, I tried PR ages ago, I remember a guy who's pic looked like a prom photo, didn't like that I wasn't wearing a suit and tie in my photo. naively, I argued with him :)

As I recall, a number of people were giving me a hard time about my hair cut. There I was, asking for help on how to word a profile, and they were criticizing my hair cut. Jeez.

And it went downhill from there. I quit arguing with them, but I couldn’t stop myself from coming back and reading the new posts. Like trying to look away from a train wreck, you just can’t do it.
 ohenryx
Msg: 408 (view)

Posted: 12/7/2017 10:42:36 AM

gtomustang
every now and then, I feel like submitting my profile to PR. I mean, I laugh at other people in the other issues forum, so its only fair, right?

The responses might even make me laugh.

Back when I first came on POF (in 2010), and was having no luck at all in getting replies, I tried posting in Profile Review. The results were ... strange? maybe "surreal" would be a better word. I have paid no attention to that sub-forum since then.
 ohenryx
Msg: 85 (view)

Posted: 12/6/2017 10:31:07 AM
^^^ I'm assuming this woman was hot. As in very, very hot. As in set off the fire alarms / sprinklers hot?

While I'm here, let me steal another thread. The regulars all know that I steal threads as I'm on a permanent partial ban and cannot start a new thread.

This coming Saturday night, I am going to DJ for a private party. Maybe 35 or so people, nice place, friendly people, mainly in their 50's and 60's. One of the women who is throwing / hosting this party has expressed an interest in a "Sex And The City" theme, asked me if I could play Helen Reddy "I Am Woman". Not exactly one of my favorite songs, but I can do that. And she asked if I had any other ideas about the same "theme" or whatever.

I don't recall ever watching an episode of that show. I have seen a few clips from the show, I have a general idea what it was about, but I have absolutely no idea what would constitute music lending itself to that theme? Any ideas / suggestions?
 ohenryx
Msg: 88 (view)

lobster tails and some stuffing
Posted: 12/5/2017 5:07:33 PM

6jellybeans
Does it really matter? Seriously, I go out with my family and someone pays. It doesn't matter who but someone pays. I go out with friends and someone pays. Doesn't matter who but someone pays. Its just money.

You must live in some kind of alternate reality. Either that, or you’re doing some very good drugs!

Someone here in these forums, just recently, made a comment that you need to clean the bowl of your bong periodically, else the results can get to be entirely too powerful.

NewYorker58
I think a problem for those that complain is that they're only interested in sex, and are always thinking about how much is it going to cost to get it. If you're interested in a relationship, you enjoy a date for companionship.

Jeez Louiz, are we really doing this again? And again and again and again?

Pay attention this time!

Men give a relationship to get sex. Women give sex to get a relationship.

Knock knock. Is there anyone at home in there, did you hear me this time?

And while I’m here, let me refute this point as well. “Only interested in sex” – I am really, really tired of hearing that. Two things:

Number one, it would be much closer to the truth to say, “Primarily interested in sex”.

Number two, just because a particular woman only interests me for a good time / sex, does not mean that some other woman will not make me very interested in a relationship. NorwegianGuy covered that point very well in a recent post.
 ohenryx
Msg: 44 (view)

Are you failing in relationships/dating all the time??? Consider the number 1 and number 2 theory!
Posted: 12/4/2017 10:30:01 AM

norwegianguy456
If a guy wants nothing to do with being in a Relationship, this crosses my mind: He doesn't want to be in a Relationship with a particular gal (big difference), but is willing to hang-out, date a bit, play around, etc. Being open to that isn't at odds with anything (sans the sexual-relations part if included, for conservative traditions), as long as he isn't leading anyone on. And it doesn't mean he's not open to being in a Relationship with an idealistic gal. In fact, it's always assumed he will/can be -- hence the frustration of the particular gal he's willing to hang-out with or only lightly date. He can, just not with her. Hence the back-of-mind feeling, "I'm not good enough."

I have had conversations with 2 different women recently who accused me of being a player. And it boiled down to exactly what NG stated, above.

But … you really can’t say that to the woman who’s just called you a player. You just smile ruefully and say something like, “I’m sorry you feel that way.”
 ohenryx
Msg: 43 (view)

Are you failing in relationships/dating all the time??? Consider the number 1 and number 2 theory!
Posted: 12/4/2017 10:21:40 AM

Think Feminists gone wrong, totally over board, and you will see the other side...

Its just grim thinking for either sex to blame an entire gender. Foolish and unattractive. Its not what either movement was set up for.

I think the feminists went start raving mad when they came up with “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle”. And these days, MGTOW seems equally crazy.

We each need the other or the species is going to die out, and rather quickly! And before anyone says it, I do think that women are useful for a lot more than procreation.

Silly notions that relationships and marriages are the only true way to find happiness. Let's be honest and cut the shit. Most marriages and long-term relationships are miserable, lifeless, mundane, and the only reason why most bother to stay in them is because they don't want to go through the hassle of starting all over again, they can't do any better, or for financial reasons.

I really can’t argue with this point. I do know people who really are in love, and are very happy with their relationship (married or otherwise). But they are the minority. Most married people I know are not that happy with their relationship.

We can argue all day about why, and what needs to be different, but … It is what it is.
 ohenryx
Msg: 147 (view)

MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE
Posted: 12/3/2017 10:15:30 AM

Walts
I get at least three very early in the morning, every morning for the last little while now. I haven't jumped yet but, maybe one morning when the whiskey hasn't worn off. ??

Probably because they’re on the far side of the planet, with an 8 to 12 hour time difference, at least that would be my guess.

Butterchickenchuck
the way I look at it is .... if you're going to PAY for it .... aren't you going to want something worth paying FOR ?

I recently had a go around on “whats your price” (story already told in a different thread, I won’t repeat it here). But the fact that I did log in apparently put me at the top of a lot of search lists. So I have been getting a lot of emails with “offers for dates”. And I have to tell you, some of those women wanting $100, $150, $200 for a date, the only thing I would pay them for is to stay away!

Either there are a lot of delusional women out there, or there are a lot of desperate men. Sad state of affairs, either way.
 ohenryx
Msg: 30 (view)

Rejection...
Posted: 12/1/2017 8:53:27 AM
^^^ I received an initial message a few weeks back over on Ok*Cupid, a nice enough message, but I took one look at her picture and dropped any idea of responding. I'm sure the majority of women to whom I send initial messages have exactly that same thought,
"I ain't that desperate (yet)!"

She seemed to be fixated on me for some reason. She sent 3 or 4 followups, ending with "I hope you find your dream girl." Which was nice, but I still think the best answer in these situations is no answer. If you look at their picture(s), and feel absolutely no desire to ever see them naked, just leave it alone.

I do remain eternally grateful that there are attractive woman out there who do give me a shot, a chance to impress them with my other attributes. Of which I have a few, thank goodness!
 ohenryx
Msg: 61 (view)

Posted: 12/1/2017 8:45:12 AM

Tell that to the women who go after the house in a divorce.

I don’t think that’s true, at least not as often anymore.

Most of the people I know getting divorced aren’t that interested in the house. Usually it’s mortgaged up to the hilt, and if it isn’t, you’re going to have to take out a second loan (or refinance) in order to give your ex half of the equity. When kids are involved, the one getting custody (or primary custody) will often keep the house so the kids can stay in the same school.

This might depend on geography. Those living in California, with ungodly inflated housing prices, may see things differently.
 ohenryx
Msg: 138 (view)

MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE
Posted: 12/1/2017 8:00:08 AM
I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. I get spammed by “working girls” on a regular basis over on Ok*Cupid. Usually I can tell, when I get a message from a 25 year old hottie who is “just dyin’ to meet ya” (thanks, Mick Jagger), I know I’m being spammed. But here lately, they’ve gotten smarter. I get messages from women in their 50’s, attractive but not “hotties”.

After we talk a little bit, and I bring up an initial meeting, they want me to go to some site and get a “dating certificate”. That’s not quite the right phrase, but it is close. I’ve had this happen 5 or 6 times over the last few months, rather discouraging.

That almost never happens here on POF. They actually seem to do a good job of keeping the scammers, con artists, and working ladies off of this site. Now if you’re talking about the forums, yeah, they are out of control.

I do have a question, though. Anyone have a clue whether Markus is still involved at all with this site and it’s operations? I occasionally get some message purportedly from Markus, almost always trying to get me to upgrade and spend money. I rather suspect that he isn’t actually around, they are just using his name on the messages, but it does make me curious.
 ohenryx
Msg: 185 (view)

Would you date a felon or someone on probation?
Posted: 12/1/2017 7:37:11 AM
When I was young, back in the paleolithic era, most ex cons had been in prison for armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, seriously bad things. Sometimes they did reform. You had to judge on a case by case basis.

These days, a huge majority of the ex cons out there have been in prison for some drug related charge. In some of those cases, they were addicted and committed robbery, armed robbery, home break ins, whatever, to get money for their drug habit. I don’t like addicts, nor ex-addicts, so I would avoid such people. But many of them weren’t actually addicts, they just dealt drugs at a low level to make money. Sometimes because it was the easiest way to make money, sometimes because they really didn’t have any other way to make a dollar.

The lazy thing is the same motivation that drives most prostitutes. Don’t believe me? Go look it up, do some reading. Prostitution and street drugs are the easiest way for people with no advantages (education, training, etc) to make a decent amount of money. We all know that working at McDonalds for minimum wage will not feed you and put a roof over your head.

Selling dime bags down on the street corner will bring in enough money to pay for a place to live and food to eat. Until you get busted. Same thing for the street walker peddling her a__ down on the street corner. Only these days, the ladies of the evening peddle their wares over the internet, not down on the street. Times have changed!
 ohenryx
Msg: 286 (view)

Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 12/1/2017 7:24:07 AM
I can play footsies with anyone that I find attractive. But if they open their mouth up front and reveal themselves to be narrow minded bigots, then I no longer find them attractive, therefore …

I have dated women with opposing political views, and we just agreed to not discuss politics. Hell, I have friends who are conservative Republicans, and we can even debate about political issues. But since this last election cycle, I have had to drop a few “used to be friends”. Most of the Republicans I know are intelligent people, and if you mention Trump, they get an embarrassed look and change the subject. Those few who actually support him, well…
 ohenryx
Msg: 16 (view)

Rejection...
Posted: 11/28/2017 9:37:54 AM

HS3344
The other night a girl wanted to sleep with me, but I told her look, I know way too many women, i dance with some, have sex with some, and some are real solid friends, whatever happens happens, or it doesn't. Why does everyone need a fvcking explanation? I don't! And don't put me on the spot like that.

Did that make any sense to anyone? Or is just me, and it was perfectly lucid to everyone else?

Maybe I just need to drink more, and then it would all be perfectly clear. Yeah, that’s the ticket, more alcohol!
 ohenryx
Msg: 199 (view)

My friend Judas, he's hanging around here somewhere
Posted: 11/28/2017 9:31:03 AM

ThePigOfYourDreams
If she had not been my brother's girlfriend, I would have done things to her I wouldn't do to a farm animal.

So…
Does this mean you’re denying all rumours involving you and farm animals?

Messages this short may not be posted
 ohenryx
Msg: 46 (view)

An exercise in human behavior: Has dishonor permeated unassuming and marginally attractive women?
Posted: 11/28/2017 8:28:04 AM

halcyon_skies
There's something to be said for not springing for dinner on the first meet. Had you gone Dutch, you probably wouldn't have gotten so upset about it.

There’s no way I can answer that for certain, but I don’t think you’re correct in this instance. It was an after work, early in the evening, casual dinner. No drinks, no wine, and not a particularly expensive place. I think the total with tip was about $30.

Maybe that’s why she dumped me unceremoniously, I was too cheap?

Nah, looking back, she suggested the location, so that wasn’t it.

dpwesu
well she may be a member of Mensa.....and sure....she might be booksmart......but common sense and class sound pretty short to me.......

Trust me......I attend school with those who have PhD's and can't speak a full sentence. - what we call in academic parlance....."educated idiots".

I have worked for better than 4 decades in the upstream side of the oil business. I expect we have more PhDs per square foot than anywhere else in the known universe. And probably 95% of them are geniuses, but they never mention it, just like they don’t mention their degrees. I’m always a little put off by someone who does mention their degree(s), and / or their IQ.

But it does tend to spoil you a little bit. I explain how something works to one of our geophysicists, and bang, he’s got it. Often has it figured out before I can finish my sentence. Then I go out in the real world, and try to explain a very simple concept to an average person, and I’m still there 15 minutes later, going over the same thing for the third time.

All in all, I like really smart people.
 ohenryx
Msg: 227 (view)

Help :( Did I get scammed???
Posted: 11/28/2017 8:04:58 AM

Cynderella
I wonder if I showed my backside
maybe someone would send me $800.
It's that #2 in the handbook....
The reverse effect.

That would depend. Just how good looking is your “backside”? Post a picture, enquiring minds want to know!

ohenryx
Msg: 42 (view)

Posted: 11/27/2017 2:50:57 PM
If I had been thinking or reacting in a logical way, I would never have let her behavior get “under my skin”. But I just had this immediate, visceral reaction, logic never entered the picture.

norwegianguy456
I had a different but similar situation Years ago. A hot MILF drove about 30m over to my neck of the woods, who I met online. Great looking gal. I was still getting over a Weird dating situation with a gal in the semi-recent past where she was starting to see someone. Anyway, date's going fine -- but thru conversation I pick up some clues that Maybe there's another guy in the picture? Small chance, but I'd throw it out there. She says Yes, she is seeing someone, with a big smile. She clarifies that she's allowed to date. I said "Oh, okay, you guys aren't an Item, but, you each date other people and aren't Trying to be one, right?" She said No, he's not going to go out on dates with anyone -- he says he's waiting for me. As if she's referring to a date had last week that went OK - lol. Totally killed the mood and I was like WTH -- so I question her about this like a reporter on 60 minutes. But even doing so in a cool way, I was still grilling her... and basically in the end, realized I could have gotten sex out of it if I never did that, so I kicked myself - lol.

A very long time ago, I came to the inescapable conclusion that women who are cheating, whether it be cheating on a boy friend or a SO or even a husband, are the easiest targets in the world. There are many who claim that it is “unsportsmanlike” to shoot the sitting ducks, that you have to wait until they are “on the wing” to take your shot. The woman, in your story above, sounds like she wasn’t even “cheating” per se, as her BF knew about her actions. Definitely sounds like you missed an easy target.

Oh, well, we’ve all done that. Sometimes we just keep talking and talking until we have talked ourselves right out of a good thing.
 ohenryx
Msg: 37 (view)

Posted: 11/27/2017 11:03:38 AM

me
She said, “I’m sorry, I can’t, it’s 7:30 now and I have another date scheduled for 8.”

dpwesu
Wow....just wow.....what can I say????? She really had a LOT of nerve - I'll go out on a huge limb and say she had not much in the way of brains.....but a whole lot of nerve.

Actually, she belonged to Mensa, and bragged about it.

norwegianguy456
Yeah, not ideal to say it by her at all -- but I wouldn't have been phased too much If she seemed to really like me.

I was surprised myself by the strong reaction that I had. The first and only time anyone has ever been quite that bold about it, I have heard all of the standard stuff, “I have to get up early” or “I’m meeting my sister at the mall” or whatever. But never anyone quite that bold about it. And it just absolutely got under my skin, gave me an intense reaction.

norwegianguy456

But since then she has not answered the phone, or texts, or emails, or … WTH, next!

Well, to be fair, I think she said "Next!" to you. :)

Well, of course she did. I was just saying or trying to say in a short hand way, “Don’t let the ones who reject you get under your skin, forget ‘em, move on and find someone else”.
 ohenryx
Msg: 4 (view)

Rejection...
Posted: 11/26/2017 4:19:17 PM
I have never came up with a good reason to give someone. Never. Sometimes they just bore me, should I say, “You bore me, so I’m dumping you?”

Other times, I might have reached my limit on the number of dates with no sex, or no real movement towards sex (sexual tension should ALWAYS be escalating). Should I just say, “You didn’t put out, so I’m dumping you?”

On several occasions, I have failed to follow up after an initial meeting because they made some racially derogatory statement. Shoud I just say, “I’m dumping you because you’re a bigot”?

Maybe I meet her, and in person her looks do absolutely nothing for me. Not that the pictures weren’t real, just that in person, she doesn’t really move me. “I’m dumping you because I think you’re not attractive enough?”

I think you get my drift. “Just not a match” is probably as good as you can do.
 ohenryx
Msg: 32 (view)

Posted: 11/26/2017 9:55:00 AM

forever_live_and_die
It's called settling. Chances are you will spend the rest of your life coveting a more beautiful woman since over time the one your with will start appearing less beautiful because she was actually your second choice.

Bull hockey. If you’re a man, you’re going to spend the rest of your life lusting after all of the beautiful sexy women that you want but can’t have. Which is not such a bad thing, as long as you keep it to yourself.

And the really good news? If you chose wisely, the woman in your life will make you feel, at the end of the day, that she was worth giving up your chances at all of the other women out there. The problem is, there aren’t nearly enough women like that. Not nearly enough.

b]flyover_boy
It’s not only this...there’s also those ‘blasts from the past.’ This is particularly common around the Holidays and the New Year.

Tell me about it. I have been talking with a woman I met a week ago through another site, and she started telling me things that sounded eerily familiar. A rather lengthy, convoluted search through my old emails (I keep everything, gmail is great for that), and wa-la I found her. We had exchanged lengthy emails back in January of 2012, and actually met once. And more emails after that, but never met again. I have high hopes for this one. That one meeting we had was one of the most interesting initial meetings I’ve ever had.

And about a month ago, I heard from a woman I hadn’t talked to in 5 years, we actually met up for a causual dinner about 3 weeks ago, and it all seemed to go well. But since then she has not answered the phone, or texts, or emails, or … WTH, next!

dpwesu
If a man is dating other......I really don't want to know about it......It's none of my business......UNLESS the "exclusivity talk" comes to pass.

^^^^ Now this is good advice. Keep it to yourself.

Normally, I’m a pretty easy going guy. But I remember this one occasion where I really got bent. I had an initial meeting, an early casual dinner after work. I liked her, she seemed to reciprocate, I suggested we keep the evening going by going somewhere for a drink. She said, “I’m sorry, I can’t, it’s 7:30 now and I have another date scheduled for 8.”

Let me tell you, that got under my skin. For some reason, I was really, really P_____. I didn’t say anything, but I damn sure never reached out to her again. About a year later, I ran into her out in a night spot, and she walked up and asked me why I never called her again. I just looked at her and walked away.
 ohenryx
Msg: 142 (view)

Warning women about a dangerous guy on pof
Posted: 11/26/2017 9:34:28 AM

gtomustang
the good news is, if you invite crazy into your life...you can stop having crazy in your life, by refusing to mail out the invitations anymore. its nice to have that much control over things in life.

Yeah, but that’s no fun, no fun at all!!! People who deal with a lot of drama are almost always people who actually like it, thrive on it. Just my experiences over many decades.
 ohenryx
Msg: 95 (view)

Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger than they actually are?
Posted: 11/26/2017 9:29:02 AM

ThePigOFYourDreams
Peter Noone concert? I would think the age difference would have been a bigger issue than the number of single women.

Not so! The nostalgia craze draws in a lot of people, of all ages. Here in Houston (fourth largest metro area in US), the most popular live band for several years running is a Beatles tribute band. And when I go to one of their shows, there are a lot of women my age, a lot of women your age (I note you’re the same age as gto), and a lot of women too young for any of us here.

gotmustang
went to one of those casinos to catch Peter Noone. Confirmed that an event most couples think of as date night, may not be the best place to expect the attractive women you see are single :)

I never go to casinos, so let me ask, what does the venue look like? Is there dancing, or are you seated auditorium style, or ??

When I go hear the tribute bands, and other live bands playing the older music I like, there is almost always a dance floor. And a dance floor, and the chance to dance, brings out a lot of single women.

As always, YMMV
 ohenryx
Msg: 3 (view)

Cuffing season
Posted: 11/24/2017 3:05:05 PM
Yes, cuffing season is real, I have noticed the effect before.

And what’s this nonsense?

Holy crap where was this magical season when I was young, muscular and worked a job that allowed me to blow hundreds on a weekend out with several ladies?

Dude, 37 years old is YOUNG. Very young. And why aren’t you making as much money as you used to? You’re supposed to make more money as you advance in life, not less.

I’ll admit that I make less money than previously, but only because I was retired for a few years and came back in a lesser role.
 ohenryx
Msg: 92 (view)

Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger than they actually are?
Posted: 11/24/2017 2:55:58 PM
^^^^ is this another incarnation of ClooneysTutor???

ON EDIT: Ooops, gto posted while I was typing. I meant the post above gto, ConjugalVisits

And in response to gto’s post, I don’t think I ever promoted Meetup as a way to get dates. It is a good way to meet people, to make friends, to socialize, to get out of the house, to get your social skills into high gear.

norwegianguy456

I do sometimes mention spending a fair bit of money on women and dating, but I don’t really complain. To me, the results I get are well worth the money spent.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it is well worth it though. I think the key is objectively questioning (to oneself, with the help of peers) -- Is It? Sometimes our comfort zone will make us do things too much to get too little, but stepping outside our comfort zone seems like "too much". The concept of "Well, if he feels [X] is worth it, then it's worth it," isn't necessarily true. It can be, there's leeway on that, but it may not be so.

To your situation, it isn't about spending a decent amount of $$ on dating, but the level of "bang for the buck", as you know. And I'm sure much of yours is Just Fine, of course... but barking up some trees that conceptually doesn't get anything in return and basically never really ever does, doing that more than "yeah, I've done that before once or twice, ehh so what," isn't a good endeavor -- even if it is kosher with our comfort-zone.

Hmmm….

I’m not sure if I agree. It is something to think about, there are occasions where I toss money at a problem not really expecting any tangible results. Just sort of, “What the hell, let’s try this and see what happens.” And I might be better off sticking to an agenda with more proven results.

But you know what? If you go very far down that path, then the best “bang for the buck” is going to be paying directly to an escort or call girl. And I don’t think I want to go there, not yet anyway. I do have some successes, and I enjoy the living hell out of those successes.
 ohenryx
Msg: 172 (view)

DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/23/2017 2:37:54 PM

benartflick
I know from experience that plenty of attractive women are not too picky. I can't guess why, but I'm extremely grateful.

Hallelujah, brother! Can I get an”Amen”?

(During my high school years I sold magazine subscriptions door-to-door. My sales pitch enabled me to chat with a lot of attractive girls and led to many dates.

In college, I did about every part time job imaginable. If someone would pay money for it, I was there. The most interesting was selling Kirby vacuum cleaners door to door. I wasn’t very good at it, so I didn’t do it for very long. But it was interesting, I’ll give you that.

Twice I fixed up my so-called friends with dates. Then behind my back they asked out the beautiful girls I just met and those girls accepted. One married the girl. I even went to the wedding. Maybe I should get back at my other buddy.

Now you’re just being petty. Women are not property, you can’t own them. If a woman leaves you for someone else (better looking, richer, gives her more attention, whatever), you should remember all of the times that you have done the same thing. You HAVE done the same thing, right?

Show ALL Forums