Messages this short may not be posted

ohenryx
Msg: 353 (view)

Wanking off costs less than dating
Posted: 7/14/2018 6:25:34 PM

coma_white
I like women, but I've never had a good experience with them.

I do believe we’re getting closer to the real problem. An analyst, which is what you need, would make a non-committal sound and say something like “Tell me more.”

If you’re 38 years old, and have never had “a good experience with a woman”, then you need the kind of help that no one here on an internet forum can provide.

And no, I am not trying to pick on you, or put you down, or make fun of you. Absolutely not. All I’m trying to say is, “Please seek help, my friend. This is not normal.”
 ohenryx
Msg: 7 (view)

When you can depend on them not being dependable...
Posted: 7/14/2018 5:36:40 PM

cooldog65
'm sure she's sending these shots to other guys, too. She's also getting nailed to the headboard by these other dudes. That's why she's not dependable.

You're part of her bullpen. You're probably on the lower end of the rotation.

Well, if she’s good looking, and you have other things going on yourself, what’s the problem?

The only caveat I would mention, use protection. Other than that, enjoy yourself.
 ohenryx
Msg: 591 (view)

Prejudice versus short men online dating.
Posted: 7/14/2018 4:56:35 PM

HawkingJr
When OLD came into existence, that’s when it became overwhelmingly obvious, since so many women write directly into their profiles: you better be taller than me, or a certain height. And sites like Match actually have height filters directly on them that nearly all women use. If it REALLY didn’t matter that much to women, I don’t think 95% of Match participants would be filling out height minimum requirements. In real life, it probably matters less than OLD, but still, even there, it factors in.

Ah, yes, Match and their height requirements. Reminds me of a story, hell, everything reminds me of a story, but never mind that.

Back in 2010, shortly after my divorce, I was trying (and failing miserably) at doing this newfangled online dating thing. So I started doing research, and found the forums, which were, believe it or not, quite helpful. One of the things I read was that height was a great advantage. I now understand that isn’t actually true, it’s more like being short is a disadvantage, and being tall removes that one disadvantage.

But I’m all hepped up, being tall is good, and I’m definitely tall, so how do I parlay this into actual dates? Being the ingenious fellow that I am, I conceived of a plan to message all of the tall women. I searched for women 5’11” and over, and sent out a whole slew of messages.

Greetings! I see that you’re [insert height here], well I’m 6’2” and I think we would make a great couple on the dance floor!

I also heeded the advice about including something from their profile, so I thought I was all set. Just sit back and wait for all of the replies. But of course, it didn’t work out like that. It seems that women who ARE tall see it as an impediment, and don’t want you to mention it. Kind of like, “My, what a big nose you have!” And much to my dismay, many of those women weren’t actually tall. They confused this site with Match, and they thought they were filling out an order form for the man they wanted to date.

“Let’s see, he should have blonde hair, a slim build, and, oh, yeah, minimum of 6 feet tall!”
 ohenryx
Msg: 9 (view)

No taking the initiative, please, we're British
Posted: 7/14/2018 4:33:57 PM

siisaa
Badoo is known for being a hook-up app. My co-worker found her "boyfriend" on here. She and her husband are in an open marriage.

You definitely have some interesting co-workers. Between this and your reference in the other thread about the ex-stripper, I need to drop by there sometime.
 ohenryx
Msg: 1555 (view)

Paying for a date
Posted: 7/12/2018 9:51:29 PM

Clytemnestra
OT: A guy I went out with for awhile (both in our 50s) informed me (when I did not lean over and unlock his car door) that this is a test that men use to figure out something or other about the women they are dating.) I'd never heard of such a thing and thought he was just kidding. Apparently not.

It occurred to me just now that we 'came from two different worlds'---he grew up in a Big City, where folks routinely locked their doors (houses and cars) while I was a small town girl. We didn't routinely lock up our houses or cars, in fact ,for a long time, most folks left their keys in the ignition of their cars without a backward glance. The ritual of reaching over to unlock the car door of your date to show respect and interest (I guess...) was not remotely in my world view. But to him it signified a lack of respect on my part (this I can only surmise...)

Two different worlds. Yup

I grew up in the same kind of world. All the time I was growing up, we never locked the house. Never. I never had a key to my parent’s home, because it was never locked. The first car I owned, a 1949 Chevrolet, I never had a key for it.

But then in 1972 I came to the big city. And life is different here. Everything is locked here. Always. And I have lived that way for the last 46 years.

And I have to admit, I don’t know anyone who still lives in that world without locks. I’m not sure such a place exists anymore.

And yes, a long time ago, when cars didn’t come with keyless entry, I did notice when a woman unlocked my door after I had opened the passenger door for her. It WAS a nice thing for her to do, and appreciated.
 ohenryx
Msg: 20 (view)

The Numbers Game
Posted: 7/8/2018 6:58:30 PM

feirene
There was a ted talk on the data, i've seen it. Most men tend to consider highly attractive women as unobtainable and so don't bother messaging them, and lesser (more 'average') women as nobody else having any interest in them and so they message these women because they have no competition there...which is interesting because i've seen fat women (who consider themselves as not attractive in genera, sadlyl) are thinking that attractive men only contact them because these men think they will be desperate for sex. Anyway, the average looking women get the majority of messages online because they are considered obtainable at least.

Most scientific, and even semi-scientific research tends to disagree with your conclusions. As in, they find your conclusions 180 degrees off course. The most famous, often quoted example was in a blog post on Ok*Cupid (back before they sold out to the same conglomerate that now owns pretty much all OLD, including POF).

The guys who originally created Ok*Cupid, and ran it successfully for many years, were curious types. They actually tried to figure out how their system worked, and how they could make it function more efficiently. Sort of the opposite of Markus, who never cared about anything except how to run things more cheaply so he could keep more of the money.

Don’t believe me? Do a google search for interviews with Markus Frind and read his comments for yourself. He was really blunt and upfront about not giving a damn what the users thought.

Anyway, back on topic, Ok*Cupid determined through the metrics of their own system that something like 80% of initial messages from men went to the top 20% of women. I just tried to find that blog post so that I could link it, and it seems to have disappeared. I found several articles where people were trying to disagree with or disprove the Ok*Cupid findings, but I cannot find that original blog post. Did anyone happen to save a copy of it, or have a link that actually works?

feirene
We are entering the age where the ugly man trying to get off with hotter women is officially over,

I beg to differ, I’m still doing okay, thank you very much!
 ohenryx
Msg: 313 (view)

Why do men lie to get a woman
Posted: 7/6/2018 9:50:58 PM
Whiterose0, backcreek7, cbgb77, browneyesboo, MsMicki, and several others who sent private messages – thank you, each and every one. Labrador Retrievers are special, they just seem to have a greater capacity for love than any other dog breed. Anyone who comes within their sphere gets loved, it is truly something special. I miss her terribly, but I know she is at peace. And I know that she had a good life.

What more could any of us ask for, then to have a good life, to love and be loved, and know that we are missed when we are gone?
 ohenryx
Msg: 4 (view)

An even better dating option than OLD no one has ever thought of! And your dates come to you
Posted: 7/6/2018 9:27:03 AM

MachIMustangII
sounds crazy on its surface...but...anyone who's worked customer service in their lives, i'll bet has at least one date story. I know I do. I've tried it from the customer side, however, and found not many want to mix business and pleasure. or so they told me on the rejection. I think Spot has some real horror stories she can add if she decides.

Yes, she does. Her tales from the darkside are uppermost in my mind when I think some service person is flirting with me.

But, on the other hand, I sold Kirby vacuum cleaners door-to-door for a while when I was in college. Now that was an interesting job! A college kid, big strapping football player, knocks on the door of lonely frustrated housewife …

Sounds like a bad XXX movie, doesn’t it? (smile)
 ohenryx
Msg: 8 (view)

Patting yourself on the back while giving yourself the reach around
Posted: 7/6/2018 9:19:31 AM
I think TPOYD and GTO are talking at cross purposes here. Not exactly discussing the same thing.

Let me quote and emphasize one word:

if they were so bad, what does it say about us that we thought they were so SEXY?

Someone can be very sexy and very bad at the same time. The unfortunate truth is, I have found those two traits often go together.

Remember the old saying, “Crazy women are the best in bed!”
 ohenryx
Msg: 63 (view)

Sex in the Weirdest Places!!
Posted: 7/5/2018 8:24:35 PM
Well, there are a few, but maybe start with this.

Back in the 1970’s I worked in mainframe operations for a major oil company, in the upstream side of the business. We were looking for oil underground, and the results of all the computer work were “final film plots”. So we had a darkroom, and we developed film, a really large quantity of film. That darkroom was … hmmm… there were a lot of escapades that happened there. I’ll just leave it at that.
 ohenryx
Msg: 294 (view)

Posted: 7/5/2018 8:17:16 PM

Blonde_Idiot
So just some friendly advice to someone who thinks I am an idiot...

A different person would contact your family & show all of this to them, plus the women at your meet up groups.

Then your posting history.

Not too smart.

Pardon me for being slow to respond, I have had much more important matters to deal with. Please note my profile picture and the caption thereon for edification.

But to respond to your threats – please eat sh__ and die. Do your worst. I have done nothing and said nothing that I am ashamed of, so do your worst.
 ohenryx
Msg: 200 (view)

Posted: 7/2/2018 6:27:18 PM

Blonde_Idiot
Yes Henry, I read your post about peeking at a young woman's white panties in a pic on Tinder. (Young women)

You are either ignorant (not having a clue what you’re talking about), or an idiot.

I said “on Tinder”, and I know you caught that, because you just repeated it.

Tinder only shows me pictures of women 50+. So where did you get this “young women” horseshit?

Like I said, ignorant or an idiot. I strongly suspect both.
 ohenryx
Msg: 27 (view)

Places for Guys to Meet Women
Posted: 7/2/2018 5:09:47 PM

You mingle, for practice if anything, if not mere socialization, and if you read that one of them has some attraction toward ya, and there's nobody near by you'd like more, why not roll with it to find out if you need some practice under your belt.

And lord knows, there are some people around here who need the practice!

that’s because dancing in our culture is seen as effeminate.

And there’s a term I like to apply to people who think that way.

Now what was it? Let me see.

Ignorant? No, that’s not right.

Clueless? That’s closer, but doesn’t have the right “flavor”.

Idiot? Yeah, that’s the word!

Item number 1, if you are a man, then you don’t let anyone else make up your mind for you about what’s masculine and what’s not.

Item number 2, have you ever held a beautiful woman in your arms while slow dancing? Feeling her body up against yours, brushing against you, as you move in time to a beautiful slow song. Knowing that she likes you enough, trusts you enough, to get that intimate with you, in front of dozens and dozens of people.
 ohenryx
Msg: 194 (view)

Posted: 7/2/2018 4:41:59 PM
There are some very sick people in this thread.

Very, very sick. Very, very, very suspicious, untrusting, and with filthy minds.

I have two granddaughters, the oldest now in college. I spent time with them when they were growing up. No one ever accused me of this kind of sh__. If they had, I probably would have killed them and wound up in the penitentiary.

I repeat, there are some sick people in this thread.
 ohenryx
Msg: 19 (view)

Meet Me's, Viewed Me's, Wants to meet me, favorites
Posted: 7/1/2018 10:13:37 AM

CBGB77
I have 69 women who want to meet my cats.

There’s something about that number that looks very familiar. Like it has some special significance, or I’ve see it somewhere recently, or it’s the answer to some trick question like, “What’s the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?”

No, that was 42, I remember that one.

I’ll keep thinking about it, I’m sure it’ll come to me.
 ohenryx
Msg: 157 (view)

Why do girls stop replying?
Posted: 7/1/2018 10:08:44 AM

Coma_White
I'm trying to ask how it will make women more interested if my new picture is similar to my old picture and I basically look the same.

Cowboy (RIP) used to give very good advice, on this and many other subjects related to dating. I didn’t always agree with him, but most of the time I found his advice to be very good, very solid.

He recommended putting up the maximum number of pictures the site would allow (8 for non-paying, 16 for paying members). And rotate the main profile picture regularly.

Ladyinred0407
^ ^ ^ ^ Only "basically look the same" to you Coma.
Either you want to present yourself in the best light to attract new possibilities...……...or you don't. Only you can decide. The rest of us, can only suggest, lead the horse. Are you thirsty?

+1, agree with LIR 100% on this one.
 ohenryx

Places for Guys to Meet Women
Posted: 7/1/2018 10:03:07 AM

2) Go to church - I have noticed that the only adult men below age 55 that go to church are the married ones. I don't think any single men attend my church which is a very big Catholic parish. The church has a lot of events and chances for mingling.

Meaning no disrespect, and I’m sure every single person who reads this is an exception, but I have found churches to be full of hypocrites. And if I attended a place of worship for the express purpose of getting laid, then I too would be a hypocrite. Which means I would fit right in, but I wouldn’t like myself very much.

YMMV
 ohenryx
Msg: 478 (view)

Posted: 7/1/2018 9:56:50 AM

siisaa
Anyway, I'm not heavy but I know I'm not most men's cup of tea. I try not to allow people I'll never meet or speak to, especially online strangers, to have a derogatory effect on my self-esteem.

Huh? Say what???

You don’t exactly have the most revealing pictures that I’ve ever encountered, but from what I can see, you ARE “most men’s cup of tea”. Given what I can see, and based on some of the sexy stories you have told here, I think most men would cut off their left arm at the elbow to have a shot at you.

I suspect you are like a lot of younger women who have a problem with their body image. You really need to get over that.
 ohenryx
Msg: 151 (view)

Posted: 7/1/2018 9:28:47 AM

forumfairy
people who are "all in" and insanely happy with their relationship don't tend to leave the relationship. Cheat on the side? yes! but leave for another with whom they cheat. NO!

A strange statement, to be sure.

My thoughts on that: If you’re cheating, there is a very high percentage possibility that you will be caught, eventually. And when you’re caught, you might not have a choice about “leaving for another”. As in, come home and find your clothes on the curb.

And no, that has never happened to me, thank you very much! (smile)

backcreek7
Always the eternal optimist here, I'm of the "opinion" that ~

It is a small percentage, within all of the couples > that one person may cheat on the other ...

I have attempted a few times to look for meaningful statistics on that exact subject. Statistics, meaningful statistics, are rather hard to find. What you find are links to articles where some writer shouts out a headline about how many (or how few) are cheating, based on some study or another. And there is usually no meaningful data about how the study was carried out, how scientifically rigorous the methodology was, and what the actual numbers were.

I sometimes suspect they don’t want us to know, for whatever reason. Or they can’t really find a way to answer the question. Given that most people (nearly all?) lie about their sex life to begin with, just how are you going to find out?

I was listening to a program on NPR the other day. They were talking about another study saying that drinking in moderation was good for your health. One of the people on the panel (a very smart woman, by the sound of it) raised the question:

“How do you know that it isn’t a case of people who are healthy to begin with drink in moderation?”

No one tried to refute that. Honestly, there is no way to refute that. Don’t get me wrong, I am a strong believer in science, and the scientific method. But there is still a lot we don’t know.

Science has given us all of the things we take for granted in modern life. And I appreciate all of those things, I do not wish to live in a cave and hunt a wooly mammoth with a spear, thank you very much. Science deniers give me a royal pain, they can all go live in that cave and leave the rest of us in peace.

But we need to think for ourselves, evaluate what we hear, what we read. Do NOT get your news from Facebook, for god’s sake. Mark Zuckerburg is only interested in one thing, your money. There are decent, dedicated, hard working people out there at the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, etc, people who believe in what they’re doing.

Please note that I named two liberal papers, and one very conservative. I don’t often agree with the editorials in the Wall Street Journal, but I respect their professionalism. 99.9% of the time they get the story right, and when they don’t, they print a retraction. What you read on Facebook is wrong a majority of the time, and there is never a retraction. Bear that in mind.

I’ll put away my soapbox now.
 ohenryx
Msg: 20 (view)

beware of WindCrow6
Posted: 6/30/2018 8:56:01 AM

All he wants is 1 thing. Talking like you will have a future and the whole time he knows he won't see you again. Why do men have to lie and be players?

And my final answer is “they do it to get into your panties”.

Did I get it right? Is there a prize? What did I win?

And if he “won the prize” (sounds like he did), why don’t you go over to the sex forum and tell us all about it. We’re all dying to hear the details, it has become very boring around here of late.
 ohenryx
Msg: 30 (view)

Have you ever been zombied?
Posted: 6/30/2018 8:41:51 AM
Hey, I would feel complimented if someone I dated briefly 7 years ago remembered my name! Which doesn’t necessarily mean I would want to get back together with them, but still nice to know they did remember.

And, no, my dikk ain’t lame, money back guarantee on that one!!!

Endless_Summer_Nights
I don't remember a lot of the woman I've dated (to many over the years). There are some that I recognize but don't know their names and then there are the ones who I remember. Our dates didn't turn into a relationship but I sometimes wonder how they are doing. Facebook makes it easy to find people based on phone contacts. I don't delete texts or numbers so I'm always seeing women I dated suggested as people I might know.

Same here. I use Google Contacts on my phone (and computer), when I meet someone new I put in their phone number, and a picture, and then in the text field I put in pretty much everything I know about them. When we met, how we met, what they do, where they live, etc.

I used to leave contacts in there forever. And occasionally scroll through, thinking about the people, the places we went, the things we did. Occasionally I would try reaching out again, but I discovered that never seemed to work out well.

”Who the hell are you?”

So I quit doing that, years ago, and nowadays I clean out my contact list periodically. But I would still feel positive to learn that someone remembered my name 7 years later.
 ohenryx
Msg: 185 (view)

How to be an ahole and remain dateless
Posted: 6/29/2018 5:09:05 PM
Just be friendly, talk to people, act like you are interested in them. Helps a whole lot if you actually are interested in them.

Today I went out for lunch, something I do infrequently, but I have the brand new truck, and I felt like driving, and I needed to get to the EZ-Tag store and pick up an tag for it. This is kinda sorta like a civil service, not exactly, but kinda. You wait in line, there are a half dozen women (all women) sitting at computers, taking your information, giving you a tag for your new car.

Kind of thing where most people aren’t even friendly. But I was in a very good mood, which always helps. The woman waiting on me asked what name the account was under, I gave the wrong answer the first time. She said, “try again”, I did, and she got a hit. But she didn’t say so, she just kept typing away. I said, in a friendly manner, “That must have worked, right?”

She replied, “I wouldn’t be still typing if it didn’t.” One thing led to another, we had a little friendly banter going, she caught me checking out her ring finger, and held it up so I could get a good look. If I weren’t already booked up for this weekend, I think I could have had a date for tonight!

That’s the way it goes. When you hit a dry spell, women smell the desperation and avoid you like you had BO. Start getting lucky again, and women (available women) seem to come out of the woodwork.
 ohenryx
Msg: 35 (view)

How do you cope with not getting any replies from the opposite sex?
Posted: 6/28/2018 9:45:19 PM
^^^ what profession are you in? What kind of job are you seeking?

I have done quite a bit of interviewing and hiring over the course of my career, I might be able to offer some advise.

ohenryx

The see who's left convention.
Posted: 6/28/2018 9:30:36 PM
^^^ Yeah, it was eye opening. She absolutely reveled in playing the vamp. But in real life, she had not one iota of that in her makeup. I thought maybe if I gave her the opportunity, she might be willing to try it out. But no sell. Oh, well, only ran me a hundred bucks, and I had a very nice steak dinner.

I ran into her about a month ago at a wedding where I was DJing. She has a new boy friend. He never said a word to anyone, the whole time we were there. I think they are a great match.
 ohenryx
Msg: 124 (view)

You know you are getting SCOLD when...
Posted: 6/28/2018 9:23:00 PM

MachIMustangII
yeah, i'm still impressed with the new 3-D, so i'll see certain movies in it. But no Imax, just seems like they turn up the volume for that

Man, you really should have seen Avatar in iMax 3D. Most awe inspiring, jaw dropping visuals I have ever seen. I went back to see it a total of 3 times. Hell, I would go see it again if they brought it back in iMax 3D.

iMax is bigger, just flat out BIG. Dunkirk (which was not 3D) was also awe inspiring, the best aerial footage I have ever seen. Ever.

And on an unrelated note, without looking for the last thread where I mentioned car shopping. I just brought home a new 2018 F150 Supercrew. I decided against a Mustang (obviously). I absolutely love this truck. 400 ft-lbs of torque from a twin turbo V6, maximum torque at 2750 rpm, and a 10 speed automatic. Fast. Quick. I love it.

Heck, what's the point of working well past standard retirement age if you don't use some of that money on new toys? Yes, I spend plenty on women, but there just aren't enough good looking women (at least not ones who will give me a shot), I always seem to have money left over at the end of the month.

Whatever, life is good, carry on.
 ohenryx
Msg: 3 (view)

What do you think?
Posted: 6/27/2018 7:00:04 PM
How in the H-E-double-L would we know? We aren’t there, we can’t read his body language, hear the words he speaks, the tone of voice, see the way he reacts to your presence.

mysterypofer456753
I am still in school and live with my family and most importantly that I have never dated anyone before and haven't had sex or done anything. It took me about 5 1/2 months to let him kiss me.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, Natalie, is that you? Jeez.
 ohenryx
Msg: 33 (view)

How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?
Posted: 6/27/2018 6:53:36 PM

ItCouldBeNice2
The high of being in love is a great place to be.

Hallelujah, brothers and sisters, can I get an “Amen” on that? One of the nicest parts of life and living.

Things fall into place usually relatively easily and the relationship progresses naturally when two people are on the same page. Spending more time together and co-habituating more and more are signs of a potentially good loving relationship.

Very true, very. Now all I have to do is find the right person. Which isn’t proving to be easy.

Like I’ve said before, it’s a damn good thing that I’m enjoying the search!
 ohenryx
Msg: 465 (view)

Posted: 6/27/2018 6:47:36 PM
Speaking of wearing headphones while engaged in potentially dangerous activities – I first became aware of this during the Vietnam war. No, I wasn’t there, but many of my friends were, and most of them (thank god) made it back. For those who were in the field, one of the things they ****ed about were the stupid kids who went on patrol listening to music instead of focused entirely on their surroundings, trying to keep themselves and their comrades alive.

On the subject of exercise – a few months ago, my EF went down and my BP went up. My cardiologist ordered me to stop lifting, her words, “Never again lift more than 100 pounds.” I wouldn’t say that I enjoyed lifting, but it’s just been a part of my life for so many decades that I have missed it. I tried swimming, but I don’t really like swimming. What I have been doing is mowing and trimming. Good exercise, and I really sweat my a__ off. Everyone in the neighborhood thinks I have lost my mind, I am maintaining about a dozen empty lots.
 ohenryx
Msg: 276 (view)

driving ambition
Posted: 6/27/2018 6:30:02 PM

[MachIMustangII
it bums me, a longtime stick shift afficiado, to admit what they do now with automatic transmissions makes them worth a look.

I like a stick shift, I enjoy playing with it. That is, when I’m not stuck in traffic. Which, unfortunately, is most of the time these days. It’s kind of sad that automatics are now faster than manuals, but it is what it is.

I went down today on my lunch hour and drive a base Ecoboost Mustang, with the automatic. $22.7k versus $34k for the Mustang GT Premium, or $36k for the Mustang GT Premium with the automatic. A really really big difference for what is essentially the same car.

That base Ecoboost is a hell of a lot of car for $22.7k. And you could get one with the 6 speed manual for around $21.5 or a little less. You really ought to think about it.

And he did go somewhere, and amount to something. I often wonder if it made her happy?

Chances are, somewhere, somehow...there was grass greener on the other side of something for her :) we're all just crazy that way. But it was amusing to think a programmer wasn't going someplace, my father was one back in the day and he had a helluva resume at the end of it.

Well, no, I have always been just a “working man”. (Makes me think of the Rush song, really great Rock-n-Roll, I have to go find that and turn it up!) Where was I? Oh, yeah, I have spent my life working for big corporations. Making a decent living, but never really “going anywhere”. The guy she married, he went somewhere, he was rich to start with, went into politics, … I can’t say more.

The best shot I ever had for “going somewhere” was an interview with a government agency, back in 1992. And I failed the background check, don’t ask.

But back to my “lost love” – I really do hope he made her happy. I hope that getting what she wanted, what she dreamed of, really did make her happy.
 ohenryx
Msg: 116 (view)

You know you are getting SCOLD when...
Posted: 6/27/2018 6:18:33 PM

from_site_to_sight
And then VCR manufacturers all jumped on the bandwagon when Blue Ray came out, saying it's the way of the future for videos, because it provides much better picture quality. But it requires buying a machine that plays Blue Ray tapes, and many people didn't see a big difference to justify the added expense. Picture quality depended more on the quality of the TV more so than what format is being used. Blue Ray tapes are now relegated to mostly flea markets.

Man, I seriously hope you were drinking, heavily, when you wrote the above. Because I damn sure can’t think of any other excuse for writing such tripe.

Where to start? It’s “blu-ray”, not Blue Ray. And it is an optical disk, not a tape. And there IS a big difference, a really big difference in picture quality.

And, oh yeah, movie theaters seem to be doing quite well, thank you.
 ohenryx
Msg: 24 (view)

The see who's left convention.
Posted: 6/27/2018 4:39:32 PM

browneyesboo
I might go to the 50th, but I can't imagine hooking
up with anyone. They're all so old! hahahahahaha!

Sadly, I have to agree. With the proviso that we’re talking about mental age rather than calendar age.

When you get up into your 60’s, if you’re still alive and awake and doing things, you find that others your age are much more into leisurely retirement type activities. Sad, but true.

Last year, one of my Meetup groups did a Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre. Those are always a lot of fun, the dialogue is always just a little bit risqué, everyone has a blast. I always volunteer to read one of the parts. In this particular play, there was a woman’s part, a real vamp. A woman who has been around forever, but I never paid much attention to, played the part, and with gusto. I mean, she got into that role.

Afterwards, I asked her where she got the oomph to do that role, if she had any of that vamp in her own character. She said there was only one way I would ever find out, so I asked her out on the spot. We had a very pleasant dinner. Pleasant as in the very opposite of exciting. As in “boring, hide your yawns, is this over, can I go home now?” kind of boring.

On the subject of high school reunions, the last one I attended was for the 20 year reunion. I know they held a 30, but I didn’t go, and I haven’t heard of any more. Back about 5 years ago, a woman I was dating, fairly serious, we were “exclusive”, went to her reunion. It was, if I recall correctly, a 40th? Nah, can't be right, she was only about 53 or so, maybe 35th?

At any rate, it was out of town, I was working and didn’t go. So afterward, several of her friends are posting all over her Facebook page about her hooking up with an old beau at the reunion. Rather embarrassing for her. Gotta love Facebook.
 ohenryx
Msg: 155 (view)

Posted: 6/26/2018 5:26:23 PM

MachIMustangII
an 80% failure rate does wear on you after a while. and that's when we make excuses not to talk to people, even when we do know what to say.

Man, you don’t even need 20%. All you need is one success per evening. If you go out for the evening, hit up 10 women, and 2 of them say “Yes”, then you are already in over your head. Unless… No, I’m not going there.

On a more serious note, if you define success as having a woman talk to you, show interest in you, maybe even give you her phone number -- then I only need one or two successes per evening to feel like it was a great night!

When I go out with a Meetup group, I spend a great deal of the evening talking with, dancing with, flirting with women that I already know, women where I know it isn’t suddenly going to blossom into a romance. But it is fun. And over the course of the evening, I will hit on at least 4 or 5 new women, women who are aren’t there with my group. And if at least one of them acts interested, hell it was a very good evening.
 ohenryx
Msg: 111 (view)

Posted: 6/24/2018 8:41:04 AM

Kissfromarose77
If I don’t spend a fortune on wining and dining women, I’ll have more money saved up for my eventual retirement and possible long-term care when I get old. That’s how I see it.

Jeez, this is wrong on so many levels I hardly know where to start.

There is an old joke about a guy who doesn’t smoke, drink, party or chase women. And the punch line is something about, “He may not live forever, it just feels like forever because it is so damned BORING!”
 ohenryx
Msg: 51 (view)

Has #Metoo invaded online dating?
Posted: 6/24/2018 8:33:10 AM

Just because somebody is beautiful and breathing does not mean they are a catch.

Yes, but it does make them (at the very least) a great prospect for “catch and release”!

ohenryx
Msg: 40 (view)

Does anyone entertain at home anymore?
Posted: 6/24/2018 8:16:11 AM

MsMicki
and yes, I entertain my new guy quite frequently at my home...

LOL. I’ll bet you do, and I’ll bet he has no complaints!

Meaning no disrespect, and knowing you only from your posts here in these forums, I strongly suspect that your “new guy” is a very happy man.

he has bacon and eggs mastered now! Lol

Hell, if he can make good coffee, you’re set for life!
 ohenryx
Msg: 5 (view)

School re-unions as a dating plaform - are they?
Posted: 6/24/2018 8:06:10 AM

Peppermint_Petunias
love to bytch like a snowflake in August falling to a tar road in Texas.

Say what? It doesn’t snow in Texas in August. Hell, mostly it doesn’t snow in Texas at all. Maybe up in the panhandle, but that’s a thousand miles away.

But then, you’re from South Carolina, so you probably know a little about hot weather!

I like your new picture, by the way.
 ohenryx
Msg: 266 (view)

driving ambition
Posted: 6/23/2018 8:44:51 PM

MachIMustangII
But a modern car from a dealership, no mods, isn't going to do that in yesterday's weather (Wasn't even 90 degrees, but was humid), so I have to say, I get more and more willing to recommend a new muscle car every day. Good luck, I hope you find a car you love. we spend so much time in our cars, why not enjoy the ride...literally.

Thanks for the good wishes. I liked the Mustang, did not like the clutch. Or I should say my left knee didn’t like it. I’m thinking I may go back for another test drive, this time with an automatic. Maybe.

Or just maybe, a 2 or 3 year old Genesis R-Spec with the 420 horsepower V8. That might be pretty neat as well.

MachIMustangII
Women can say yes or no, but a car does what we "expect" it to :)

One of my standard jokes, and I don’t think I’ve ever told it here. People ask me how I got into computers, and why I’ve been doing this for so long. I tell them how at the age of 17 (50 years ago) I learned that computers do EXACTLY what you tell them to do. No ifs, ands or buts. And given the same instructions, they will do exactly the same thing, every time, no exception. And then for the punch line, “I have spent the last 50 years looking for a woman who will do the same!”

And yes, that is a joke, so all of you women put down those guns, knifes, and pitchforks!

MachIMustangII
I was going to tease Henry a bit b/c he's a Mopar man seeking a Ford, but I have two old Mustangs so I can't be a hypocrite either :)

I was rather expecting that. But truth be told, in this modern day and age, I no longer trust Mopar. They have changed hands too many times. Is it a Mercedes? Or a Fiat? Or a ??? (what week is this, anyway?)

And yes, I own a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. It is the most practical, useful vehicle I have ever owned. I looked at Honda and Toyota, but the stow-and-go middle seats sold me on the Chrysler.

I presently have the 2016 Town and Country, and a 2017 F150 with the twin turbo 2.7L V6. And let me tell you, I LOVE that twin turbo V6. Which doesn’t mean that I won’t give it up for the 460 horsepower Mustang GT. Priorities, after all.

MachIMustangII
women who want us to be something, will tend to find the guy who changes after the honeymoon is over...except he didn't change into something, he changed out of something.

The woman whom I sometimes look back on as the love of my life – possibly I look back and think that because she was the “one who got away”? Anyway, that woman, from back when I was 25 years old and madly in love. She wanted me to “be something”. I had a good job, and I got to play with computers, and I was happy with that. But she wanted a man who would amount to something, who was going somewhere. And she threw me over, and found her such a man. And he did go somewhere, and amount to something. I often wonder if it made her happy?
 ohenryx
Msg: 83 (view)

Posted: 6/21/2018 9:08:32 PM
Some parts of it I will agree with, some parts I will disagree with. One that I find easy to disagree with:

13) Men don't like to dance
-Men will dance to get laid. Women dance to get men and attention. If you are an exeption, you are probably gay or latino.

I like to dance. If he wants to call me gay, he can say it to my face and I will then kick his butt.

I don’t do anything fancy, no ballroom, nothing like that. I slow dance and I fast dance (rock and roll). Slow dancing should be self explanatory, what could be finer than holding an attractive woman in your arms while moving in time to a beautiful slow song?

And rock and roll, well – if you’ve never gotten out on the floor, and really let yourself go, feeling the beat, jumping around, and watching your partner while she throws her body around the floor … I feel for you, you haven’t lived.
 ohenryx
Msg: 259 (view)

Older men's expectations
Posted: 6/21/2018 8:06:14 PM

MachIMustangII
I will confess, I stay away from Lincolns and Cadillacs just b/c the price of parts--I used to work with a fellow who loved the Lincoln Continental LSC (pretty similar to my Turbo bird, other than the drivetrain. But similar interior room, leather seats, automatic climate control, headlight dimmer, blah blah blah), and while his Linc had the same engine as in my Mustang GT that came after my Tbird, the repairs cost more. A fully loaded Caprice, Olds or Buick might not impress like a Cadillac, but inside the car and behind the wheel....I might not even notice the diff. Maybe a little more chrome and interior lighting :) But one day i'll go big, and try a Cad or a Linc and then i'll know for sure.

but for sure, everyone should try a full-on luxury car once in life, to know how driving can be. and if it has a performance set up so it doesn't wallow in the corners, so much the better.

The last Cadillac I owned, the 2006 one owner Deville that I mentioned previously – the thing that pushed me to get rid of it was the slow leaks in the chrome wheels. I tried, repeatedly, to get those wheels sealed up, couldn’t be done. I was considering buying new aftermarket wheels, but by then I was ready for something new anyway, and I was really fed up with having to air up the tires twice a week. Not flat, just low. Put in 34 psi, and 3 days later they would be at 27 or 28.

And it’s hard to find aftermarket wheels that don’t detract from the appearance of a Cadillac. The only ones I liked were about $2k for the set, and I wasn’t willing to do that.

Tomorrow is my Friday off. I am going to go drive a new Mustang GT Premium with the V8 and the 6 speed manual, see how my knee gets along with the clutch. Who knows, I might have a new car tomorrow evening. I already know that I at least fit in a modern Mustang. I test drove one a couple of years ago, but that was an automatic. I’m thinking now I might want to own one last manual transmission, fun car.

And no, this has absolutely nothing to do with women or dating or anything even remotely related. But there are other fun things in life besides the opposite sex...

On edit: No, this does not mean I am giving up on women, or turning into PR, or anything crazy like that.
 ohenryx
Msg: 41 (view)

Random Question
Posted: 6/20/2018 4:58:50 PM

There are many healthy, fit, virile men 40+ even 50+ that can easily go 4-5-6 x a day w/o Viagra

Item 1, I wasn’t talking about maximum capability, I was talking about realistic expectations, an entirely different thing.
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/how-many-times-normal-couples-454611

A recent study from the Kinsey Institute for research in Sex, Reproduction and Gender suggests that it's this variable (age) which can predict how often we have sex.

For example, people between 18 and 29 are having the most sex, with an average of 112 sex sessions per year, or twice a week.

30 to 39 year olds have sex 86 times per year, which averages out at 1.6 times per week.

Things go slightly downhill from here. Those in the 40 to 49 age group manage to have sex only 69 times per year.

To rebut your statemen, I was trying to find some real, scientific data about men’s capabilities by age group, but couldn’t find very much. I will say this: When I was 16, 6 times in one night was easily possible. Even into my mid 20s, on rare occasions, yes. By the time I was 30, maybe 4, if it was a good night with a very stimulating partner (or partners!!!)

The numbers do go down with age. That is a fact. I think very few men in their 40s or 50s can “get it on” 5 or 6 times in one night. Exceptions? Yes, of course, there are always outliers. But rare, why they are called outliers.

And – more to the point, all of the above has absolutely nothing to do with my question to flowersinthelake – how do you see the two parts of your statement connecting?

I don’t see how “loving relationship based on care and love” is connected to “go 2x a day”.
 ohenryx
Msg: 83 (view)

Just stop making excuses.
Posted: 6/20/2018 4:26:56 PM
Intelligence seems to be one of those things that can keep you from being eliminated. If you’re dumber than a stump, a lot of women (not all) are going to throw you overboard.

It’s much like being tall. No guarantee of success, but it eliminates yet another reason why she might throw you overboard.

There are a lot more I could name, like having good teeth, good table manners, enough money to take her out on a real date. Guarantees nothing, but gives her one less excuse for ditching your sorry a__.

Actually, with the number of deal breakers that I have heard discussed here in these forums over the last 8 years, it seems like an absolute bloody miracle anytime 2 people actually do get together!

And on the subject of going to clubs / bars for live music and dancing: MachI, I have told you the answer, several times. Meetup groups. Meet people, get to know them, let them get to know you. I was out last night, live music, drinking dancing. A lot of people go over straight after work, and eat dinner waiting for the band to start at 7. When I walked in about 7:20, I spent the first several minutes greeting and being greeted. At least a dozen women amongst that number, and some of them very attractive, all calling me by name, hugging my neck, telling me to save them a dance.

Now this didn’t happen overnight. But it didn’t take that much time, either. And it was well worth every hour I invested.
 ohenryx
Msg: 1498 (view)

Women are going to choose the best options
Posted: 6/20/2018 4:13:40 PM

^^ Do u have a PUA site?

You sound a tad bit like LEYKIS 101

No, actually he doesn’t. Not even close.

A PUA will be telling men,

It doesn’t matter if you’re plain or average looking, you too can pick up smoking hot babes. Just send a check for $500 to my PO Box and I will rush deliver you the INSIDE TRACK to dating all of the hot women you could ever want!!!

Instead, what NG is saying – looks do matter. Sometime they matter more, sometime less, but they ALWAYS matter. (Reader’s Digest Condensed Version there for you.)
 ohenryx
Msg: 11 (view)

How to Tell A Female Friend She Needs to Lose a Few Pounds
Posted: 6/17/2018 10:27:22 AM

I'm not exactly fat and trust me, guys just love sex.

No, sorry, not willing to trust you and just take your word. Provide some links, some scientific evidence that “guys just love sex”.

Through laughing yet? Okay, good. On to the second half.

You are definitely not fat, you are a very attractive young woman. You do seem to have some issues, problems with self-image and just how you want to relate to the men you date.

Back to the original topic. To the OP: Say nothing. It is most definitely a lose-lose situation.
 ohenryx
Msg: 255 (view)

Act old, be old
Posted: 6/17/2018 10:12:30 AM

MachIMustangII
If I decided i'd never be a friend who listened to a woman talk about her sex life, then i'd never have company

You left out a word: only
It is absolutely fine and acceptable to have a conversation with a woman about her sex life. I approve, have done so many times, plan to do so many more times. But at some point I’m going to step up, point out how I could enhance her “sex life”, and offer to do so. Being a “eunuch”, being “safe”, someone she can talk to about her sex life with no worries that you will ever come on to her as a result – that sucks. That I will not do.

The situation is slightly different if it’s a married woman. I will be friends, talk with, have conversations about sex with attractive married women who are never going to sleep with me. But they are flirting, it is a “sexually charged” conversation, and we both enjoy it and know that it will go no further. The difference? They are not treating me as a eunuch.

I do remember back in the day when people sat in a small restaurant and talked to strangers rather than bury a face in a cellphone.

Careful there, my friend. You’re starting to sound like a grumpy old man. “You kids get off my lawn!”

And yes, you’ve mentioned that Caprice before. That would have made a very nice road car.

Back about 5 years ago, I found a 2006 DeVille at a Cadillac dealership. One owner, garage kept, 36k miles. They showed me the original title, a woman bought it new at the same dealership, and traded it in after 7 or 8 years for another new Cadillac at the same dealership. Clean Carfax, beautiful red paint (not sun faded, kept in a garage), perfect white leather upholstery. I’m fairly certain that no one had ever sat in the back seat. When I pulled the bottom cushion to check the battery, there was nothing under there. No cookie crumbs, no scraps of paper, nothing.

It did cost me, $10.5 cash, but it was worth it, I really enjoyed that car.

And yes, MsMicki, MachI is right about the Madonna thing. “The gal you could take home to mom.”
 ohenryx
Msg: 39 (view)

Random Question
Posted: 6/17/2018 9:32:46 AM
I can’t seem to follow your logic here.

You’ve got a very long run-on sentence here, and the two parts don’t seem to really interconnect.

When a man can only go 2x a day with viagra and felt the need to use a woman like me as his trophy, what prospect did I have for a loving relationship based on care and love?

Part 1, on older man would have to take Viagra in order to “get it on” twice a day, I’m with you so far.

Part 2, “loving relationship based on care and love” – what exactly does that have to do with sex twice a day?

Mind you, I am not opposed to either part of your equation. I’m just not sure how you connect the two disparate things?

On edit: I suspect very few men in your age range (approaching 40) are really going to be up for “twice a day” over the long haul. Certainly in the initial honeymoon phase, and then perhaps if you only see each other on weekends. But day in and day out? That sounds more like a teenage thing, not something to realistically expect from any man in his 30’s or 40’s.
 ohenryx

Creepiest date in the world
Posted: 6/16/2018 3:28:54 PM

BLONDE_ANGEL_1
I take Merimac's word on this one.

A man comes on here and proclaims that people who score high on IQ tests have “bad character and repulsive personality”, and you’re going to just take his word on that? Seriously?

BLONDE_ANGEL_1
I once dated a PHD in science (stem cell research, etc. ) for 3 years. He was HORRID.

I think that says a lot more about you than about the man with the PhD. If he was “HORRID”, why in god’s name did you continue to date him for 3 years?

There are a number of posters here in these forums who are of well above average intelligence. Most do not brag about it, but if you're paying attention, it's pretty easy to tell. And for someone to come on here and make those kinds of statements, labeling us as "bad character and repulsive personality", I for one take offense.
 ohenryx

Dating advice blog 2.
Posted: 6/16/2018 11:01:08 AM

There's too much baggage associated with getting laid. So much, that it isn't worth it.

My first reaction was, “When you hear me say that, you can start shoveling dirt in my face.” A more reasoned reaction, “If you ever hear me talking like that, please rush me to the emergency room, as you will know that I am in dire straits!”

MachIMustangII
unless they need something done, and then the "Dumb blonde" act comes out :)

Harsh. I prefer “helpless female act”.

MachIMustangII
4) the bit about food photos is, I find, not a small thing. Sensual people love GOOD food. And sensual people really love good sex.

Hmmm…. Now you’ve got me thinking. Which is always dangerous. Hmmm…

MachIMustangII
I have experience in replacing radiators, as for repairing them, I can suggest that in a pinch, eggs or ground pepper in a radiator can seal a small leak (McGyver to the rescue). But then when you get the vehicle home, you have to clean all that gunk out. I'm thinking laundry detergent...the cooling system on a car can act like a washing machine set on warm water, and what you put in is protein, right?

I think I have mentioned here before that my father was a professional mechanic. He worked in dealerships when I was a kid, and then went into construction work (repairing bulldozers, huge diesel pumps, etc). Later, he moved back home and opened a small independent garage. When the local machine shop operator retired, my father bought most of the equipment and got into that side of the business (boil the block and heads, grind the valves, turn brake drums, etc). At the same time he also picked up equipment for reworking radiators.

He quickly found that radiators were a very lucrative part of the business. I was still a young man then, and made my way home for weekends fairly often, so I wound up learning a bit about the radiator trade. I could at the time sweat off the top, rod it out, and put it back together quite handily.

My nephew Ben is still running that business today. But mostly they just sell new radiators, they only “re-work” fairly big, expensive radiators (heavy equipment).

If you have radiator problems, and you have a fairly ordinary car, you can get a brand new radiator quite inexpensively online. Unless you’re handy with wrenches, it will cost you more for labor than for the new radiator.
 ohenryx
Msg: 2 (view)

Dating advice blog 2.
Posted: 6/15/2018 7:40:42 PM
An interesting post, to be sure. I’m not sure how seriously we’re supposed to take it, but either way, definitely not the same old same old boring stuff.

So let me take a bite at this. (Yes, horrible pun intended.)

I have noticed that many of the women who are my “facebook friends” (really strange phrase there, but I digress…) These facebook friends are constantly posting pictures of food. I accused one of them of belonging to some new fringe religion, which teaches that you cannot eat a meal until you first post a picture of said meal on facebook. She laughed, but gave me a very strange look, like I was the one was crazy. Hmmm….

So what you’re saying here is basically, “Food is the way into a woman’s panties”, is that right?

Dressed up as a pizza delivery guy

Now that made me think of the pizza delivery guy in “Man of the House”, the Tommy Lee Jones movie from back in 2005? Hilarious.

Men do you think by going back to more old fashioned times that you could get a woman that way? Can you even fix a radiator? These are the important questions.

Just what kind of radiator are we talking about here? The old steam heat radiators, or an automobile radiator? I know almost nothing about steam heat, hell, we barely have home heating at all in this part of the world, but car radiators? Hell, yeah! And I’m sure MachI wants in on this action too.
 ohenryx
Msg: 250 (view)

Act old, be old
Posted: 6/15/2018 7:19:30 PM

MachIMustangII

Man, you gotta get yourself one reliable car.

oh, I did, that one was the latest to have starting issues :) I figured, go back to a vehicle with few options, less things to break down. Sometimes, you just can't escape fate's inconveniences. I have old truck for dump runs, economy car I trust again for 4 hr round trips to car shows, and fun car for when it doesn't rain..

Four hour road trips in an econo box is NOT living the good life. No way, no how.

Look for an old luxury car. One owned by a little old lady, garage kept, with low miles. A Cadillac Deville or a Lincoln Town Car, something along these lines. I have owned several Devilles, loved every one of them. Even the one that blew the Northstar head gasket.

MachIMustangII
As for Henry's two women comment, i'm pretty sure women have used me that way--the bad boy for sex, the nice guy for friendship/go shopping/do dinner sorta bf stuff :) maybe we all want a Madonna/Whore to call our own.

When I was younger, in my 20s, I encountered a lot of that sort of behavior. I made up my mind very early on, I would NOT be the “nice guy for friendship”, the one who listened to her stories about the “bad boy” she was actually sleeping with.

Just to be perfectly clear, this was back when I was in my 20s. Since my divorce 8 years ago, I have very seldom encountered women behaving in that way. The great majority of women in my age bracket have grown up and exhibit much better behavior.

Show ALL Forums