Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: HELP - PLZ ! SHE DOESNT WANT KIDS - I DO!!
 RussArtLover
Msg: 56 (view)

HELP - PLZ ! SHE DOESNT WANT KIDS - I DO!!
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:24:00 AM
Haven't read over your thread but you guys might try babysitting together from time to time. Let her see you with a baby in your arms, See how she takes it. If she still comes away adamant about living so independently then you know no amount of talk will make a difference.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 5 (view)

slow day
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:47:27 AM
lol, I like my den. And that particular pic reminds me I'm lucky to have it.

Is my main pic bad? I thought they all came within good taste/humor. I always look so serious in most of my pics.

mmm'Thanks but wasn't asking for a profile review. I'm not competeing with other spin doctors. Nope. If I did that... I'd want to get paid fer it :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 1 (view)

slow day
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:46:47 PM
Been awhile since I've gotten a reply on here. I never do drama but once won't kill me right? (I hope). So..
I've dated all age groups, teens to my age and a bit older but never seem to meet anyone I can cozy up with. Is cozy not on the menu?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 39 (view)

Women have it easier than men!!
Posted: 11/9/2013 4:26:27 PM
ok put yourself in this position, You are the boss. You have to hire someone withing 2-3 weeks or pay everyone overtime. Or hire a temp. You have 45 applicants. You've narrowed it down to 3 hot women, one average looking woman and 2 men vastly overqualified that will probably walk as soon as they get a better offer. And 2 men that would be just right. Does your staff need cheering up? Do you? Women go out of they're way to look better, act better, get the job done. No brainer in my book. If one of the 5 women can do the job well she gets hired Unless one of the 2 just right guys has a gift for lighting up a room :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 33 (view)

High IQ Vs High EI
Posted: 11/9/2013 4:14:51 PM
Unless I'm mistaken IQ is a persons ability to figure things out with less and less data. Really quick intuition kinda thing. No big deal. We all do that from time to time. I think the OP is about EQ? emotional quotiant? That would be the intensity at which one dives into such an epiphany. Smoothly vesres Holy !@#$ Batman I have an idea and gets lost in thought for hours just to perfect how to make day old doughnuts taste like fresh. Thing is having a high EQ is a sign of innocence or nievety and should be defended not scoffed at because people in the throws of it are out of charecter and vulnerable to severe mental trauma if they are made to feel retarded. That crap sticks. Like a hooker laughing at you for having a teeny doink.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 1665 (view)

Evolution.
Posted: 11/9/2013 4:04:35 PM
OP
I was going to be a politician. Popular "fear" is more the target of your original post. Not what politicians fear, we could care less. It's what you guys fear. We have to powder your bottoms so you won't do what we all want to do, revolution. Revolution is wasteful. Lots of the wrong people die.

Evolution is proved every day. Not by pop culture. When you sleep, you evolve. Period. Call it Gods plan or one of the mysteries or whatever, it can be scarey to know tomorrow when you wake up you won't be exactly who you were today. It's like staring at a dot on the wall until it fills your vision and all you see is uncertainty. Jeesh. We have pills for that now but the old remedies are still the best. Go for a walk. Talk to old people. Do anything you'd never do in your comfort zone.

LIVE a little.

...Evolve
 RussArtLover
Msg: 67 (view)

Legalizing drugs
Posted: 11/9/2013 3:52:24 PM
Too generic Dame. You can do better :)
I kinda agree but education has to come first. Only reason I ever smoked pot to begin with, was "in-stead" of pulling a tire iron out of my trunk and beating those guys to death for nagging me. One "No" should have been enough. Instead I inhaled and blew a career in science and spent the last 40 years humoring musicians.
 RussArtLover

been awhile. is this too much?
Posted: 11/9/2013 3:45:15 PM
hi
i know i need "sharper image" photos but i honestly do not want any false starts with the future love of my life. so if you could give me a little feedback (other than better photos lol) please do. if i put what i want in a woman on there... it would be RICH FOXY and SMARTER THAN ME so forget that :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 156 (view)

What would you do, if you were a god?
Posted: 10/31/2013 9:34:54 PM
If I were a god...
Well I sure as hell wouldn't let my firstborn kid suicide to save a bunch of zombies. Or maybe I would, hellifino. More like I'd never let him get into that situation. I'd make robots to cut trees and build free housing, free food, free everything. People would trade skill or appreciation of skill for currency. If you had an idea for a new toy have a robot build it. A faster Ferrari, a more comfortable bed, better drugs, you name it. But I'm not so I carry a gun and do random acts of kindness wherever.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 62 (view)

Can your thoughts kill you?
Posted: 6/28/2013 10:46:21 AM
:)
May be more acurate to say dreams can kill you. Driving at 80 mph daydreaming about some cute girl can certainly get you in a bind fast. So you "wake up"
 RussArtLover
Msg: 84 (view)

Would you vote for an Atheist president?
Posted: 3/14/2013 9:14:46 AM
Probably give a lot of them a nervous breakdowns trying to figure out how to Swear him in too. Tradition gets a lot of support in everything. I've been watching a lot of Boardwalk Empire... the "good ole boy" organizer is still a sure way to get things done, to some degree. It's a little harder to murder now so new players stand half a chance of doing some good at State and Local levels.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 82 (view)

Posted: 3/14/2013 1:02:02 AM
Hiring some pro to write your speeches?

:)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 14 (view)

GEOPOLITICS
Posted: 3/14/2013 1:00:24 AM
Hacking is such an anti-social thing I just can't get into it very long. I know I should just for self defense and helping out friendsies. Back in the 90s I got fairly good at it for awhile but lost interest. Back then I didn't mind reinstalling Winblows every 3 months either. Now I've run on this install over 2 years :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 80 (view)

Posted: 3/14/2013 12:47:09 AM
Not sure what qualifies a man for the job when I created this. Political experience, global economics, all that hasn't helped us that much. So I put no criminal record and tons of accreditations for academic and charitable achievements, was good looking, happily married with similar children fallowing in his footsteps and a Second degree black belt in Karate as a base line for a go-getter that could think long term and take in new data like a super computer in his spare time, Not busy living up to some organised mind set.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 49 (view)

Does Religion cause Wars
Posted: 3/14/2013 12:36:27 AM
Don't think gods are into war. They are kinda lazy. Hang out in pajamas and kissy booboo a lot. Demons are the ones that like to watch humans chop each other to bits right?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 35 (view)

Why do we age?
Posted: 3/11/2013 11:04:21 PM

I work in long term care business with old people from 20s up till now. I respect humanity. I really respect everybody and his/her will to live as long as he/she wishes. However, imagining if everybody could live a few hundred or a couple of thousands years, our society should have a mean of employment for everyone to work to 150 or a thousand years old at least. Otherwise, how many young people can work to support all those people who stop working at 65 and live forever? The society would be very poor and crazy. Not to mention there's no job provided yet, who would like to work after 70, 80, 90 and over 100 years old?

Part of living that long would be a new type of creativity we'd have to teach each other. Of course, if I was stuck looking 80 for 200 years I'd be pissed and suicide but if I were age reversed to 19, or 25 even I'd go-for-it and help teach people how to reach into themselves and pull out some genius. You may have noticed I do exactly that on here from time to time :) In person and intimate is better. I'd a lot rather see someones eyes twinkle than put them on the spot on a forum read by hundreds of people daily.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 20 (view)

Are the eyes really the window to the soul?
Posted: 3/11/2013 10:55:29 PM
I think everyone has a bit of a sixth sense but prefers to think of it in practical terms. You meet someone you got a vibe on and look in they're eyes, you think Wow, I'd a lot rather look in your eyes than sniff around in fantasy land :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 24 (view)

Indigo Children coming of age
Posted: 3/10/2013 2:16:16 PM
Source for Indigos suiciding? Was MSN forums in the late 1990s that first got my attention.

The term Indigos was made up, sure. All terms are made up, to delineate something. In this case a leap in IQ among a rather high percentage of the grand children of the baby boom. The best laymens definition I've heard for IQ is an ability to solve complex questions with less data up front. Get one person to read 5 good books on a subject they learn X amount and figure out nothing from it. Get another to read a pamplet and he figures out a way to make free clean energy.

But only expose them to mystical BS and exploitation and greed and no escape, well that much brain power could figure out a way to suicide pretty easily.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 23 (view)

Temporal Oscillation
Posted: 3/9/2013 8:05:30 PM
Anyone have any links to pictures from electron microscopes or particle accelerators that show electrons misbehaving?

Someone asked "What happens when we think?" these temporal oscillations could also help explain why imagination often seems outside of time. When the electrons in our brains get excited they may well hop around in time even more vigorously.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 2 (view)

Nullius in verba
Posted: 3/9/2013 8:00:23 PM
Nullius in verba = talking shyt? er nonsense? just guessing, don't wanna look it up :)

Have to expect a certain amount of BS on here but you will find a good amount of seriousity (yea i know it's not a word, made it up) if you develope some sorting skills :) I often intermix BS with solid data just to see who's paying attention.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 21 (view)

Indigo Children coming of age
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:58:19 PM
I'm still concerned that most Indigos are born poor and suicide before they reach 25. That much intellect applied to hopelessness and utter lack of intimate practical education would be worse than crucifixion. Outreach does seem to have improved over the last 20 years though. Enough that perhaps they are blending in better.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 23 (view)

Why do we age?
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:50:24 PM
At present I don't have any desire to live millions of years. (even with a memory download). A few hundred years, even a couple of thousand would be great though. IF I was age-reversed to around 19 years old, had my hair back, my eyes were that livid blue and I could pop out song lyrics on the fly that begged accompaniment. Whew! I'm a huge fan of the science but I can't stand biology very long. It just doesn't jive with physics\math. Biological machines are insanely more complicated, all interdependent and messy. It's a miracle we live as long as we do if at all. BUT I have learned enough to know it is possible now and will be even more so to live much longer than we do. At the very least right now if a person is less than 50 years old they "could" easily live to be 200+ with a healthier diet, raw vegetables, less or no air pollution, clean water and seriously avoid food additives like salt and sugar. The old saying "Live fast and leave a beautiful corpse" seems to be the hail marry of our age but you can duck it. Live long and prosper :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 11 (view)

Don`t Hurt The Bunny Wabbit
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:34:55 PM
or Hungry.

I think animals just can not pay attention very long so they lose interest in communicating they're feelings. I guess one simple rule would be the smaller they are the less. You could argue that lizards and mice/rats can think long and hard about things but they can't. They just go into a trance-like state as a sort of "invisibility" to bigger animals that might prey on them. Thing is, every living thing has a measurable IQ. and EQ, emotional quotient. So if you want to feel a teeny bit of guilt about torturing some cat when you were 8 years old go for it. You were a little sht and got away with it :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 17 (view)

Why are men given such a bad rap?
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:43:37 PM
OP
Sadly this really is a free country and will remain as much. That means talented men and women MUST stand up or be ignored by bad men/women who know all too well the profit in exploit. Examine your own talent for coercion albeit benign if you chose to enforce it. I might suggest going walk about, find a place/town you instantly feel loved in as soon as you drive into it's borders, never leave. No one really NEEDS a partner/companion, it's just better/easier. Good luck.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 6 (view)

Our Inviornment
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:31:22 PM
Maybe a modern druid is a technocrat. The oldworld had it's tools. We have ours. It doesn't take a billion dollars to change the world, well ok, it helps, but just releasing yourself from anything blown out of proportion is a damn good start. Teach a dog (or any animal) to smile. I've done it. Then work your way up to politicians :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 193 (view)

Why should I believe in aliens?
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:02:41 PM

Here's a little FACT for you, since people in this thread seem to like those so much. People only started reporting UFO sightings after science fiction media started popularising the idea, and the vast majority of them stem almost entirely from the US. Gotta love all them convenient coincidences, eh?

Couldn't pass on this one. lol
Noway it started there but that is a good example of capitalizing on it. Totally ignoring cave paintings and Egyptian wall art etc etc. Hell, the Boogeyman has been around since Adam and Eve mate :)

Idea. You know how slow a jet appears to be travelling from the ground even at 400mph right. Just watch. You'll see clearly these guys are over 3 miles up doing speeds we can't even touch with the shuttle. And turning in loops and nonsense that can only be a display of love toward us mere mortals.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 191 (view)

Posted: 3/7/2013 5:47:28 PM
Proof hmm. Are you sure you really want it? Coz it would prove I'm telepathic too. Anyways...

Go outside on the 23rd of March, 2013. Look up. Watch the sky in the early evening depending where you live in the continental United States (north/south America)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 35 (view)

Downton Abbey FANS !
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:38:42 PM
Thanks for bringing this show to my attention. Except it's broken my heart at least twice now Rascals! Great. I hesitate to mention Boardwalk Empire in the same thread but between the two, I'm floored.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 179 (view)

Posted: 3/7/2013 4:33:33 PM
Thing is, I think if I drove through Washington now they would have cleared out some time ago. Whatever they wanted they got, now they aren't interested in us. So if you do happen to see a ship or something maybe that's a good sign.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 176 (view)

Posted: 3/7/2013 4:19:20 PM
For what it's worth ...I sold a computer to a guy once. He told me his job was personally visiting people scaring the crap out of them so they would stfu about sightings :)
I guess I just have that effect on people "in person". Some people don't have to try to be cool. I guess I don't have to try to be the anti-christ.

boo
 RussArtLover
Msg: 170 (view)

Posted: 3/7/2013 11:40:31 AM
Any of you guys ever actually been to Washington DC? lol
I had occasion to in my 30s. Took advantage and drove around all over it, people watching, soaking up the culture. Was great, EXCEPT when I drove into certain areas. I experienced AWE for the first time. Like they were watching me watch them. I wouldn't call them enemies, more like how we feel toward puppies chewing on the furniture. Some years later I saw ships multiple times. It's simply an experience you'll have to interpret yourself when/if you seem them. I felt privileged. :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 2 (view)

Our Inviornment
Posted: 3/7/2013 11:29:03 AM
Druidism 102

BELIEFS

One of the most striking characteristics of Druidism is the degree to which it is free of dogma and any fixed set of beliefs or practices. In this way it manages to offer a spiritual path, and a way of being in the world that avoids many of the problems of intolerance and sectarianism that the established religions have encountered.

There is no ‘sacred text’ or the equivalent of a bible in Druidism and there is no universally agreed set of beliefs amongst Druids. Despite this, there are a number of ideas and beliefs that most Druids hold in common, and that help to define the nature of Druidism today:

Theology

Since Druidry is a spiritual path – a religion to some, a way of life to others – Druids share a belief in the fundamentally spiritual nature of life. Some will favour a particular way of understanding the source of this spiritual nature, and may feel themselves to be animists, pantheists, polytheists, monotheists or duotheists. Others will avoid choosing any one conception of Deity, believing that by its very nature this is unknowable by the mind.

Monotheistic druids believe there is one Deity: either a Goddess or God, or a Being who is better named Spirit or Great Spirit, to remove misleading associations to gender. But other druids are duotheists, believing that Deity exists as a pair of forces or beings, which they often characterise as the God and Goddess.

Polytheistic Druids believe that many gods and goddesses exist, while animists and pantheists believe that Deity does not exist as one or more personal gods, but is instead present in all things, and is everything.

Whether they have chosen to adopt a particular viewpoint or not, the greatest characteristic of most modern-day Druids lies in their tolerance of diversity: a Druid gathering can bring together people who have widely varying views about deity, or none, and they will happily participate in ceremonies together, celebrate the seasons, and enjoy each others’ company – realising that none of us has the monopoly on truth, and that diversity is both healthy and natural.

Nature forms such an important focus of their reverence, that whatever beliefs they hold about Deity, all Druids sense Nature as divine or sacred. Every part of nature is sensed as part of the great web of life, with no one creature or aspect of it having supremacy over any other. Unlike religions that are anthropocentric, believing humanity occupies a central role in the scheme of life, this conception is systemic and holistic, and sees humankind as just one part of the wider family of life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Otherworld

Although Druids love Nature, and draw inspiration and spiritual nourishment from it, they also believe that the world we see is not the only one that exists. A cornerstone of Druid belief is in the existence of the Otherworld – a realm or realms which exist beyond the reach of the physical senses, but which are nevertheless real.

This Otherworld is seen as the place we travel to when we die. But we can also visit it during our lifetime in dreams, in meditation, under hypnosis, or in ‘journeying’, when in a shamanic trance.

Different Druids will have different views on the nature of this Otherworld, but it is a universally held belief for three reasons. Firstly, all religions or spiritualities hold the view that another reality exists beyond the physical world, rather than agreeing with Materialism, that holds that only matter exists and is real. Secondly, Celtic mythology, which inspires so much of Druidism, is replete with descriptions of this Otherworld. Thirdly, the existence of the Otherworld is implicit in ‘the greatest belief’ of the ancient Druids, since classical writers stated that the Druids believed in a process that has been described as reincarnation or metempsychosis (in which a soul lives in a succession of forms, including both human and animal). In between each life in human or animal form the soul rests in the Otherworld.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death and Rebirth

While a Christian Druid may believe that the soul is only born once on Earth, most Druids adopt the belief of their ancient forebears that the soul undergoes a process of successive reincarnations – either always in human form, or in a variety of forms that might include trees and even rocks as well as animals.

Many Druids share the view reported by Philostratus of Tyana in the second century that the Celts believed that to be born in this world, we have to die in the Otherworld, and conversely, that when we die here, we are born into the Otherworld. For this reason, Druid funerals try to focus on the idea that the soul is experiencing a time of birth, even though we are experiencing that as their death to us.

The Three Goals of the Druid

A clue as to the purpose behind the process of successive rebirths can be found if we look at the goals of the Druid. Druids seek above all the cultivation of wisdom, creativity and love. A number of lives on earth, rather than just one, gives us the opportunity to fully develop these qualities within us.

Wisdom

The goal of wisdom is shown to us in two old teaching stories – one the story of Fionn MacCumhaill (Finn MacCool) from Ireland, the other the story of Taliesin from Wales. In both stories wisdom is sought by an older person – in Ireland in the form of the Salmon of Wisdom, in Wales in the form of three drops of inspiration. In both stories a young helper ends up tasting the wisdom so jealously sought by the adults. These tales, rather than simply teaching the virtues of innocence and helpfulness, contain instructions for achieving wisdom, encoded within their symbolism and the sequence of events they describe, and for this reason are used in the teaching of Druidry.

Creativity

The goal of creativity is also central to Druidism because the Bards have long been seen as participants in Druidry. Many believe that in the old days they transmitted the wisdom of the Druids in song and story, and that with their prodigious memories they knew the genealogies of the tribes and the stories associated with the local landscape. Celtic cultures display a love of art, music and beauty that often evokes an awareness of the Otherworld, and their old Bardic tales depict a world of sensual beauty in which craftspeople and artists are highly honoured. Today, many people are drawn to Druidry because they sense it is a spirituality that can help them develop their creativity. Rather than stressing the idea that this physical life is temporary, and that we should focus on the after-life, Druidism conveys the idea that we are meant to fully participate in life on earth, and that we are meant to express and share our creativity as much as we can.

Love

Druidry can be seen as fostering the third goal of love in many different ways to encourage us to broaden our understanding and experience of it, so that we can love widely and deeply.

Druidry’s reverence for Nature encourages us to love the land, the Earth, the stars and the wild. It also encourages a love of peace: Druids were traditionally peace-makers, and still are. Often Druid ceremonies begin with offering peace to each cardinal direction, there is a Druid’s Peace Prayer, and Druids plant Peace Groves. The Druid path also encourages the love of beauty because it cultivates the Bard, the Artist Within, and fosters creativity.

The love of Justice is developed in modern Druidry by being mentioned in ‘The Druid’s Prayer’, and many believe that the ancient Druids were judges and law-makers, who were more interested in restorative than punitive justice. Druidry also encourages the love of story and myth, and many people today are drawn to it because they recognize the power of storytelling, and sense its potential to heal and enlighten as well as entertain.

In addition to all these types of love that Druidism fosters, it also recognizes the forming power of the past, and in doing this encourages a love of history and a reverence for the ancestors. The love of trees is fundamental in Druidism too, and as well as studying treelore, Druids today plant trees and sacred groves, and support reforestation programmes. Druids love stones too and build stone circles, collect stones and work with crystals. They love the truth, and seek this in their quest for wisdom and understanding. They love animals, seeing them as sacred, and they study animal lore. They love the body and sexuality believing both to be sacred.

Druidism also encourages a love of each other by fostering the magic of relationship and community, and above all a love of life, by encouraging celebration and a full commitment to life - it is not a spirituality which tries to help us escape from a full engagement with the world.

Some Druid groups today present their teachings in three grades or streams: those of the Bard, Ovate and Druid. The three goals sought by the Druid of love, wisdom and creative expression can be related to the work of these three streams. Bardic teachings help to develop our creativity, Ovate teachings help to develop our love for the natural world and the community of all life, and Druid teachings help us in our quest for wisdom.

Living in the World

The real test of the value of a spiritual path lies in the degree to which it can help us live our lives in the world. It needs to be able to provide us with inspiration, counsel and encouragement as we negotiate the sometimes difficult and even tragic events that can occur during a lifetime.

The primary philosophical posture of Druidism is one of love and respect towards all of life – towards fellow human beings and animals, and all of Nature. A word often used by Druids to describe this approach is reverence, which expands the concept of respect to include an awareness of the sacred. By being reverent towards human beings, for example, Druids treat the body, relationships and sexuality with respect and as sacred. Reverence should not be confused with piousness or a lack of vigorous engagement – true reverence is strong and sensual as well as gentle and kind.

This attitude of reverence and respect extends to all creatures, and so many Druids will either be vegetarian or will eat meat, but support compassionate farming and be opposed to factory farming methods. Again, the belief that we should love all creatures is likely to be tempered with a robust realism that will not exclude the possibility that we might want to kill certain creatures, such as mosquitoes.

For many Druids today the primary position of love and respect towards all creatures extends to include a belief in the idea of causing no harm to any sentient being. This idea is known in eastern traditions as the doctrine of ‘Ahimsa’, or Non-Violence, and was first described in around 800 BCE in the Hindu scriptures, the Upanishads. Jains, Hindus and Buddhists all teach this doctrine, which became popular in the west following the non-violent protests of Mahatma Gandhi. The Parehaka Maori protest movement in New Zealand and the campaigns of Martin Luther King in the USA also helped to spread the idea of Ahimsa around the world.

Many Druids today adopt a similar stance of abstaining from harming others, and of focussing on the idea of Peace, drawing their inspiration from the Classical accounts of the Druids, which portrayed them as mediators who abstained from war, and who urged peace on opposing armies. Julius Caesar wrote: ‘For they [the Druids] generally settle all their disputes, both public and private… The Druids usually abstain from war, nor do they pay taxes together with the others; they have exemption from warfare.’ And Diodorus Siculus wrote: ‘Often when the combatants are ranged face to face, and swords are drawn and spears are bristling, these men come between the armies and stay the battle, just as wild beasts are sometimes held spellbound. Thus even among the most savage barbarians anger yields to wisdom, and Mars is shamed before the Muses.’

In addition Druids today can follow the example of one the most important figures in the modern Druid movement, Ross Nichols, who in common with many of the world’s greatest thinkers and spiritual teachers, upheld the doctrines of non-violence and pacifism. Many of Nichols’ contemporaries, who shared similar interests in Celtic mythology, were also pacifists, including T.H.White, the author of the Arthurian The once & Future King. Nichols often used to finish essays he wrote with the simple sign-off: ‘Peace to all beings.’

The Web of Life and the Illusion of Separateness

Woven into much of Druid thinking and all of its practice is the idea or belief that we are all connected in a universe that is essentially benign – that we do not exist as isolated beings who must fight to survive in a cruel world. Instead we are seen as part of a great web or fabric of life that includes every living creature and all of Creation. This is essentially a pantheistic view of life, which sees all of Nature as sacred and as interconnected.

Druids often experience this belief in their bodies and hearts rather than simply in their minds. They find themselves feeling increasingly at home in the world – and when they walk out on to the land and look up at the moon or stars, or smell the coming rain on the wind they feel in the fabric of their beings that they are a part of the family of life, that they are ‘home’, and that they are not alone.

The consequences of this feeling and belief are profound. Apart from this trusting posture towards life bringing benefits in psychological and physical health, there are benefits to society too. Abuse and exploitation comes from the illusion of separateness. once you believe that you are part of the family of life, and that all things are connected, the values of love, and reverence for life naturally follow, as does the practice of peacefulness, of harmlessness or ‘Ahimsa’.

The Law of the Harvest

Related to the idea that we are all connected in one great web of life is the belief held by most Druids that whatever we do in the world creates an effect which will ultimately also affect us. A similar idea is found in many different traditions and cultures: folk wisdom in Britain says that ‘what goes around comes around’ and in ancient Egypt, the idea attributed to Jesus when he said ‘As ye sow, so shall ye reap,’ was spoken by the god Thoth several thousand years earlier in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, when he said ‘Truth is the harvest scythe. What is sown - love or anger or bitterness - that shall be your bread. The corn is no better than its seed, then let what you plant be good.’ In Hinduism and Buddhism the idea is expressed as the doctrine of cause and effect (karma).

The two beliefs - that all is connected and that we will harvest the consequences of our actions - come naturally to Druids because they represent ideas that evolve out of an observation of the natural world. Just as the feeling of our being part of the great web of life can come to us as we gaze in awe at the beauty of nature, so the awareness that we will reap the consequences of our actions also comes to us as we observe the processes of sowing and harvesting.
 RussArtLover

Why do we age?
Posted: 3/7/2013 10:53:00 AM
Why do we age?
by Shane Greenup
University of New South Wales, Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences Department, Sydney, Australia

The Evolutionary Context of Senescence
People have rationalised aging and the inevitability of death throughout the past as ‘only natural’, ‘For the good of the species’ or as ‘Making way for the next generation’. Taking a closer look at the evidence though quickly makes it plainly clear that these explanations are simply wrong. In a typical natural environment organisms die through predation, accident, starvation, infection and other such events long before aging becomes a factor [20]. Aging, as a general rule, has virtually no influence in the natural world, and it this fact precisely that explains how it is that aging arose in the first place.

In 1957 Williams wrote a paper called “Pleiotropy, Natural Selection, and the Evolution of Senescence” which built on the idea introduced in 1952 by Medawar [14] that evolution would not be able to exert any real selective pressure on genes which act after the reproductive age. Williams proposed a more practical idea, that genes which produce an advantage early in life but have a later acting negative effect would still be selected regardless of the later effect. He claimed that “natural selection may be said to be biased in favour of youth over old age whenever a conflict of interest arises [20].” This theory, known as ‘Antagonistic Pleiotropy’ has since been expanded once more by Kirkwood in 1977 with the addition of the ‘Disposable Soma Theory’ [10]. This latest addition picks up on the bias natural selection has for youth and suggests that organisms evolve in a way which puts as many resources into ensuring youthful vigour and reproductive success as is required, and only after these two facets are assured do any resources get distributed into maintaining the somatic cells. In other words, evolution cannot select long living individuals if they are going to die before reproduction anyway. Evolution recognises that the body is disposable and so allocates resources appropriately.

These theories are important because they form a basis from which investigations into the mechanisms of aging can be approached from. These theories imply that it is unlikely for there to be any genes ‘for’ aging as such, but instead there will actually be genes ‘against’ aging. They imply that the causes of aging will actually be side effects of otherwise beneficial genes. They also imply that the genes associated with longevity will actually be genes which affect the durability and maintenance of the somatic cells [11].

The Free Radical Theory of Aging
The Free Radical Theory of aging has become one of the main focuses of aging research today. The theory proposes that reactive oxygen species (ROS – The ‘Free Radicals’), largely produced as a side effect of normal mitochondrial metabolism, cause progressive damage resulting in the functional decline that defines aging [4]. A lot of evidence for the theory is apparent in the fact that most lab organisms which have had an increased life span, have also been shown to have an increased oxidative stress response [2][13][19].

The overwhelming correlation between increased stress response and increased lifespan has an incredibly strong implication that ROS may cause some aspect of aging. The stress response which combats the ROS, extending lifespan, happens to be a perfect example of the expected type of relationship to form under the Antagonistic Pleiotropy theory. Aerobic metabolism undoubtedly evolved shortly after the mass extinction of most obligate anaerobes was caused by the flooding of Earth in O2 from Cyanobacteria photosynthesis. The surviving bacteria must have had some sort of oxidation resistance already, but those which utilised their existing photosynthetic electron transport chains to extract energy from the newly abundant energy source of O2 would have had a much larger advantage over its anaerobic competitors [3].

The evolution of aerobic respiration was undoubtedly beneficial in its context and the basic control of oxidative damage was already set up, while the accumulation of damage from the occasional escaped superoxide particle was unlikely to have any noticeable deleterious effect on the quickly replicating bacteria. It isn’t until evolutionary history proceeds, conditions change, life expectancies change as complexity increases, and the small amounts of damage become increasingly important. The evolution of increasingly efficient antioxidants is the only method available to counteract this side effect of an otherwise incredibly beneficial gene.

This hypothetical story may not be completely accurate, but the evidence does support something at least similar. Overexpression of the genes for superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase in Drosophila, the two primary ROS scavenging enzymes, increases lifespan by around 34% [9], demonstrating both the effect ROS may have on lifespan, as well as the importance of controlling the ROS. More interestingly, overexpression of just the human SOD1 gene increased its lifespan by 40% [9], implying the more effective scavenging ability of the human SOD enzyme which would be expected in a longer living organism. age-1 mutants in C. elegans live twice as long as the controls and were found to also increase SOD and catalse activity [9], while the Methuselah mutant Drosophila also demonstrated increased resistance to oxidative stress, high temperature and starvation, and lived 35% longer than their parent strain [13]. Both of these examples also show how counteracting the ROS may be incredibly influential in longevity.

Having said that, an important criticism raised recently by Spencer et al [19] about the quality of specimens used for longevity comparisons may just undermine exactly how meaningful an ‘extension’ of 30-50% in lifespan may be. The breeding techniques employed in labs to maintain their stocks of Drosophila, results in a selection pressure for rapid reproduction and large litters [15]. The Disposable Soma Theory states that this would create an evolutionary pressure to direct resources to those areas at the expense of soma durability and maintenance. Spencer et al demonstrated that the extension in life from overexpression of SOD was in fact dependent on the genetic background the specimen was taken from, showing some results which had a noticeable increase in longevity, and occasional results which actually decreased longevity. Perhaps naturally living Drosophila naturally ‘overexpress’ SOD and catalase already?

Whatever the case may be, it seems reasonable enough to accept that ROS plays a key role in aging, and Antioxidant enzymes like SOD play a key role in controlling ROS. Whether this information can be used to actually extend lifespan or improve the average quality of life in older age is far from certain, but at least we have something to work with.

Other Theories on Aging
Far from being the only theory on aging though, the Free Radical Theory is only one of many theories. There is the alternative version of the Free Radical Theory, the Mitochondrial Theory of aging, which uses the ROS idea in a vicious circle where damage to the Mitochondrion causes more ROS to be created, resulting in an exponential increase in oxidative damage [7]. This theory has lost favour in more recent times, though still attracts interest [7][16][8]. Genome Instability, the accumulation of mutations, rearrangements and changes in chromosome number have been proposed as another cause of aging [9], while an offshoot of this theory is based on the accumulation of ribosomal DNA loops which bud out of the genome then proceed to replicate themselves, growing in number and eventually causing fragmentation of the nucleolus [18]. This has only been observed in S. Cerevisiae though so has little following as a general theory of aging. Research into the WRN gene, the gene responsible for the human progeria disease Werner Syndrome, has implicated the function of DNA Helicases and their actions in suppressing DNA recombination in aging [9]. Genetic programs for aging based on genes found in C. elegans [9], accumulation of potentially harmful abnormal proteins [12], and the cell death theory which claims that gradual loss of cells in postmitotic organs eventually leads to degeneration, are all offered as aging theories. A theory of Systemic Control of aging in the body by something such as the endocrine system has been suggested with evidence from C. elegans. Apfeld and Kenyon (1998) demonstrated that a small number of mutant cells could confer increased lifespan to the entire animal [9], believing that this meant that the gene in question produced a secreted factor which dictated the pace of aging.

An important implication from all these theories and all of the research done on these theories over the years is becoming more and more clear: It is unlikely that we are going to find ‘The’ cause of aging. Even if a systemic control factor of aging is discovered, it is unlikely to provide a simple way out of aging. Assuming we could just trick the body into behaving like it was 18 years old, we would still have to deal with the accumulation of oxidative damage, the loss of postmitotic cells, the risks of cancer, heart disease and other diseases of accumulation/degeneration.

Telomeres
Now implicit in the cell death theory of aging, Telomeres have gained particular notoriety as the biological clock of aging. In 1961 Hayflick and Moorhead reported the limited number of replication events human fibroblasts could go through before entering a quiescent, viable state, unable to enter further rounds of replication [6]. This number of replications was called the ‘Hayflick Limit’ and was explained in 1990 when Harley claimed that Telomeres act as the counting mechanism which limit the replication of the fibroblasts [5].

Telomeres serve several functions in the genome, some of which include solving the “end-replication problem” [1], preventing end-to-end fusions of chromosomes, and preventing exonucleolytic degradation. Telomerase is an enzyme produced by cells which lengthens telomeres, counteracting the shortening of the end-replication problem, but it is not active in somatic cells in humans. Why not? It is most likely not active because it gives too much freedom for rogue cells to turn cancerous and threaten the entire body. The control over every individual cell by the body is incredibly important, and if a cell breaks free of that control, then the inevitable death of that cell is important.

These functions of telomeres are all now unavoidable. As long as we have linear DNA, replicate our DNA through DNA polymerase and exist as a multicellular organism, we need telomeres. The apparent link to aging is unfortunate and stands once again as an example of Antagonistic Pleiotropy.

Interestingly, evidence has shown oxidative damage itself may directly cause telomere shortening [17]. This fact reiterates the confusing intermingling of aging mechanisms faced by researchers, further highlighting the unlikelihood of ever finding a single ‘cause of aging’.

Conclusion
Understanding aging will be a matter of understanding Cell Biology as a whole. The evidence so far seems to be loud and clear that there is no such thing as a single cause of aging let a lone a single solution to it. Instead the evidence implies that aging is just an accumulation of complex side effects piled on top of each other in a somewhat random uncontrolled way, resulting in all sorts of nasty phenotypes that most just wish to avoid. Perhaps when our understanding of Cell Biology reaches a high enough level we will be able to design novel solutions for the issues which cause aging, but until that time all you can do is restrict your calorie intake and avoid standing in the middle of major roads in peak hour.

References
1. Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, Raff M, Roberts K, Walter P. 2002. Molecular Biology of the Cell - 4th ed. Garland Science, New York, Ch. 5, Pp. 263
2. Cabo R, Furer-Galban S, Anson RM, Gilman C, Gorospe M, Lane MA. 2003. An in Vitro Model of Caloric Restriction. Experimental Gerontology 38:631-639
3. Campbell N, Reece J, Mitchell L. 1999. Biology (Fifth Edition) Benjamin Cummings, California. Chapter 27:511-512
4. Golden TR, Hinerfeld DA, Melov S. 2002. Oxidative Stress and Aging: Beyond Correlation. Aging Cell 1:117-123
5. Harley CB, Futcher AB, Greider CW. 1990. Telomeres Shorten During Ageing of Human Fibroblasts. Nature 345:458-60
6. Hayflick L, Moorhead P. 1961. The Serial Cultivation of Human Diploid Cell Strains. Experimental Cell Research 25:585-621
7. Jacobs HT. 2003. The Mitochondrial Theory of Aging: Dead or Alive? Aging Cell 2:11-17
8. Jacobs HT. 2003. Rebuttal to Pak et al.: New Data, Old Chestnuts. Aging Cell 2:19-20
9. Johnson FB, Sinclair DA, Guarente L. 1999. Molecular Biology of Aging. CELL 96 (2): 291-302
10. Kirkwood TBL. 1977. Evolution of Aging. Nature 270:301-304
11. Kirkwood TBL. 2002. Evolution of Ageing. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 123:737-745
12. Koubova J, Guarente L. 2003. How does calorie restriction work? Genes and Development 17(2):313-321
13. Lin YJ, Seroude L, Benzer S. 1998. Extended Life-Span and Stress Resistance in the Drosophila Mutant Methuselah. Science 282:943-946
14. Medawar PB. 1952. An Unsolved Problem of Biology. Lewis, London
15. Miller RA, Austad S, Burke D, Chrisp C, Dysko R, Galecki A, Jackson A, Monnier V. 1999. Exotic Mice as Models for Ageing Research:Polemic and Prospectus. Neurobiol. Aging 20:217-231
16. Pak JW, Herbst A, Bua E, Gokey N, McKenzie D, Aiken JM. 2003. Rebuttal to Jacobs: The Mitochondrial Theory of Aging: Alive and Well. Aging Cell 2:9-10
17. Ren JG, Xia HL, Just T, Dai YR. 2001. Hydroxyl Radical-Induced Apoptosis in Human Tumor Cells is Associated With Telomere Shortening But Not Telomerase Inhibition And Caspase Activation. FEBS Letters 488:123-132
18. Sinclair D, Mills K, Guarente L. 1998. Aging in Saccharomyces Cerevisiae. Annual Review of Microbiology 52:533-560
19. Spencer CC, Howell CE, Wright AR, Promislow DEL. 2003. Testing an ‘aging gene’ in long-lived Drosophila strains: increased longevity depends on sex and genetic background. Aging Cell 2: 123-130
20. Williams GC. 1957. Pleiotropy, Natural Selection, and the Evolution of Senescence. Evolution 11:398-411
 RussArtLover
Msg: 416 (view)

Is Jesus the son of God
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:52:27 PM

Anybody? Hello?

Pretend I'm a little kid, and in that oblivious ignorant innocent way, I ask "who is jesus? Who is god? What do you mean is he the son of?"

Jesus was a carpenters son born a long long time ago. He could build anything. One day he started talking to animals and they told him the secrets of the universe. He tried really hard to tell people but they all thought he was crazy so they hurt him bad, he even died. We read about his adventures to learn from the past and try not to be so dumb as those meanies.

I dunno what God is yet but I hear good things about him. (most of the time)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 19 (view)

Conformist Anachronisms
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:36:21 PM

Marijuana's effects are temporary.

I read a few studies concerned about my own use of it after leaving the military. It does have an accumulative effect. Not short term memory, that is temporary. Chronic use however builds up some kind of matter in the synapse of the brain that help with certain types of cognition and slow down others, I forget, you'll have to look around. It locks in these "processes" so the chronic user is pretty much defined for life as is. How much is chronic is the question. I'd guess 20 joints a week for 3 years would do it.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 21 (view)

Why do Men Say Mean Things to Women???
Posted: 3/4/2013 10:59:20 PM
because if men say mean things to each other we shoot them. girls just confuse the hell out of us.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 15 (view)

Conformist Anachronisms
Posted: 3/4/2013 10:12:58 PM
Nah not stupid. Just committed. To your own personal asylum hmm :)
I've been looking at houses. But I need a shop to make really loud noises. Can't do that in an apartment very long.

Jury is still out on marijuana. Chronic smoking does kinda lock a human into the intellectual maturity of the approximate age they were when they became chronic. I guess that could be a good thing, keep a person young at heart?
 RussArtLover

Any drag racing fans here?
Posted: 3/4/2013 10:05:50 PM
I just don't like getting tickets :)
The first time a cop calls you at home and asks you to come in before he hauls you in makes an impression.

Otherwise I'd probably finally spring for a tattoo of Leadfoot on my right arm.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 13 (view)

Conformist Anachronisms
Posted: 3/4/2013 9:34:19 PM
Never barrow more than you can pay back in a month was a good rule back in the day.

What? 100 years ago? Can our government pay back our national dept in a month? Well there you go, How long will it take our government to pay off the national dept? There's your new benchmark for borrowing money. I'm not sure how you do that though without multiple personalities. How about a new course study for college, schizophrenic finance?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 20 (view)

What is Want?
Posted: 3/4/2013 9:01:59 PM
Tried to Google "quantifying emotions" and didn't find anything noteworthy. Technically speaking, I'd have to conclude that the more emotional a person is and the better they hide it, the more intelligent they are. (rather, the more efficiently they're brain works)

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
Dead men do not want, to think, therefore they don't.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
In his own image, lazy.

He leadeth me beside the still waters.
sexy

He restoreth my soul:
sexier

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.
to be a leader you have to lead, in person right? thinking...

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
sexiest

I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
orgasm

Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
education and strength must be nice.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
I'm blaming this on you.

Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.
magic for you, technology for me.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
I'm not crazy, you are.

and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
See? Greed is the pathological magnification of Want.
Greed = Death
Want = Life
 RussArtLover
Msg: 57 (view)

How would you improve the human body?
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:15:43 AM
1. Longer lifespan. Although this would seem more beneficial to evil empires it is just the opposite. More good-guys would live long enough to find each other, accumulate wealth and overthrow them and setup a benevolent vigilante force worthy of extraterrestrial expansion.

2. Better built-in lie detector. We're all born with one but it gets tore up learning to speak, keep secrets, lie.

3. Better co-ordination.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 10 (view)

Literature, Mental Illness, Drugs, Alcohol, Genious
Posted: 3/4/2013 6:24:04 AM
Naturally high on the beauty of Nature is better for excluding ones self from herd instincts but I suppose self medicating is or was the only avenue open to gifted individuals roped into commitments within they're herd. If you see a child crying most people would want to comfort it. That could easily include telling him\her they're Mommy\Daddy was in Heaven hoping they would be ok. The magnitude of such an act for some might trigger a terrible schism in they're intuitions seeing a commitment to future reinforcement for the child. Predators would see that schism as an opportunity to sell further reprogramming. Self defense kicks in as the beauty of nature diminishes and the drug begins to look more attractive as a way to maintain commitment for the child, defend ones self from predators and have some quality alone time.

Or I could be over-medicating myself on coffee this morning.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 133 (view)

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:04:14 AM
OP
Doesn't really matter. As long as there are at least 400 righteous\honest people on Earth the aliens\God won't be creating new deserts\blowing us back to the stone age. Peaceout
 RussArtLover

would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:32:03 PM
Wouldn't bother me at all. Just because some people misuse religion doesn't make it All a bad thing. More likely she wouldn't date me though because sometimes I can't help pointing out the obvious. Sucks being honest sometimes.
 RussArtLover

GEOPOLITICS
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:20:22 PM
So far I've watched about 25 minutes of it. Some of it is a comforting reminder of my own observations over the years. Maybe 5% seems a bit far fetched. Others nothing new, just a good eye opener for Sheeple, sex adicts and every other kind out there. If I had kids I'd definitely let them watch it.
 RussArtLover

Conformist Anachronisms
Posted: 3/1/2013 10:07:57 PM
Yea home schooling works well if a few families can maintain it, not have to go looking for work. I think POF might be a good place to find people (single moms?) to share a mortgage on a large house for something like that. Lower the stress of living paycheck to paycheck and get a bit in savings. Credit rating is very important these days.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 3 (view)

Conformist Anachronisms
Posted: 3/1/2013 9:29:01 PM
Public school was a good idea until we stopped letting kids pile they're guns at the door. Teachers knew they were there to learn. We gotta stop thinking of schools as babysitters.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 81 (view)

Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:31:22 PM
Sarcasm is the lonely chicks way of faking surrender. She wants her white knight to take the plunge but she is still sleeping off the last black knight that played her. She can't really surrender, she isn't there yet. So if you are another black knight you just crush her some more. If you're a white knight get ready to sleigh one MF of a dragon.
 RussArtLover

Conformist Anachronisms
Posted: 3/1/2013 5:49:13 PM
Conformist: One who mindlessly or intentionally follows certain standards for social purposes.

Anachronism: inconsistency in some arrangement, especially a juxtaposition of a custom, or anything else associated with a particular period in time so that it is incorrect to place it outside its proper temporal domain.

Are we past our "Use by" date? If I was paying a DJ I'd expect the "right" answer. Sell me some records. Between you and the fence post ...just how much history do we want repeating itself?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 44 (view)

Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?
Posted: 3/1/2013 5:11:07 PM
Last time I goggled a fox at the gym she got mad at me so hellifino. Can't live without em, can't tackle em. Life goes on oO

Show ALL Forums