Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Real Reason To Why Women Dont Date Very Tall Men?
 krustybird
Msg: 113 (view)

Real Reason To Why Women Dont Date Very Tall Men?
Posted: 4/15/2011 12:04:39 AM
Harrumphh because all the tall men passed me by . My partner is 5 foot 9, I'm 6 foot in my bare feet (although at my last hospital visit the nurse managed to add an inch and a half?).

I've rarely if ever been out with a man taller than myself and never been out with anyone who could top me when I was in my heels.

So perhaps the question could be turned around to why do tall men overlook taller women?
 krustybird
Msg: 11 (view)

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Posted: 4/13/2011 1:45:47 AM
EMA works on many levels and fails on many more... Are you telling me that EMA is the only Government money being misspent? Seriously?

My son is studying at College and he qualifies for £20 EMA p/w. He had a job between leaving school and starting his course but his employer refused to alter his hours so that he could remain in employment whilst studying. Since then he's applied for dozens if not hundreds of jobs and he's still got nothing.

He uses his EMA for his stationary but other than that, it's his to do with as he wishes.. He doesn't pay for 'wrestling' lessons, dope or booze with it ( have to say, any college tutor prepared to take money for such things is perhaps best employed elsewhere). He uses it to live, plain and simple. £80 per month was a huge help to us and I'm sad to see it end.

The child Trust fund was a far greater folly IMO, being given cash just for the mere fact of being born? Real deserving... EMA was an excellent incentive, it was attendance and time keeping dependent and it really made a difference to a large number of poorer students. So what if it was used to massage employment figures, if a kid is at college, then he's not sitting at home rotting or hanging round on street corners frightening pensioners.
 Krustybird
Msg: 15 (view)

What Will Our Generation Be Condemned For ?
Posted: 3/2/2011 12:35:48 PM
Nothing, we'll all be dead before the ed of 2012 so there'll be no one left to condemn anyone for anything!

Or so I continue to hope anyway ...

Errrm Cough!
 Krustybird
Msg: 23 (view)

Could You Be A Child Killer ..........Dilemma?
Posted: 3/2/2011 12:01:45 PM
No...

How do we know that he was not the 'soft option'? Had he not ruled perhaps a man who would have succeeded in his quest to rule the world would have taken his place. Perhaps a man who would not have stopped at the Jews and the Gypsies.

Time and history are things best left alone as are babies!
 Krustybird
Msg: 22 (view)

Chimp stew anyone?
Posted: 3/1/2011 11:38:38 PM
Well there you go, what was up until fairly recently (I'm talking 15 years as being recent as that's when I was studying Mammalian Physiology and Biology) it was thought that these diseases were caused by the consumption of the meat of carnivores and now it appears that the opposite may be true, specifically in the case of Kuri.

Unsure as to how they've decided that goes for CJD as I would imagine it pretty impossible to get pure uncontaminated subject groups for proper study? Surely tracing back the consumption of contaminated beef throughout any one person's entire lifetime is pretty much impossible making it difficult to measure correctly the positive effects these polymorphisms have had on the immunity to prion type diseases.

I also see the terms, 'implied' 'could have' and 'probable' so it's not as definitive as perhaps it may at first appear. I do however bow down to the superior knowledge of proper scientists of course.

So when you coming round for dinner then Try?
 Krustybird
Msg: 19 (view)

Chimp stew anyone?
Posted: 3/1/2011 12:29:36 PM
It's a long held and repeatedly proven fact that one should not partake of an animal that eats flesh.

It's damaging, if you look at practically every animal we eat, none of them are naturally carnivorous or even omnivorous and when we decided we knew better than Mama Nature look at how we were rewarded?

Creutzweldt Jacob Syndrome.

It's something to do with certain proteins that are required to break down flesh then causing damage when ingested by us.

There is a tribe in Papua New Guinea that still has members living today that took part in Cannibalistic ceremonies and they are all, without exception, suffering from a form of brain disease which will kill them.

Can't remember the specifics but eating something that eats meat is a no no.
 Krustybird
Msg: 8 (view)

How do you handle people you dont like?
Posted: 2/15/2011 3:45:26 AM
I make thinly veiled personal attacks on them whilst constantly claiming the moral high ground and assuring all and sundry that everything is purely the fault of my current favoured victim..

No seriously I just get on with my life and leave them to theirs. If there simply has to be contact then I keep it formal and to the point, avoiding any personal conversation or interaction. After all, as an adult surely we're controlled enough to put aside emotion and just get on with the task in hand?

There is a teacher at my daughter's school who really grates on me. She's a fluffy headed blonde, with over generous features and an obscenely voluptuous figure. She looks like an over 18's Barbie doll and she does everything possible to exaggerate those features, bubblegum pink lipstick, sparkly eyeshadow, tight T'shirts, leggings/mini skirts and cowboy boots. Now if her appearance alone weren't enough to irritate (I do my damnedest to not judge on appearance but my description really does not come close to this lady) when she speaks, she cannot look you in the eye, always talks to the male of a couple in an affected breathy gasp whilst the female is barely even acknowledged, flaps and flounces at every opportunity, has abandoned the classroom on a number of occasions claiming she cannot deal with the children's rowdiness and is just about the most appalling role model a Primary school aged girl could ever hope for. I really do not like her, or rather the her she portrays at her workplace. If and when I have to deal with her I keep it short and to the point and remember she is not my friend, she's my daughter's teacher and I don't have to like her. It's not a requisite, she can teach just as well (or badly) with my approval or without it, my opinion makes no difference and I can't imagine she likes me much either but then that probably has more to do with my sending in our tarantula for the Bring a Pet to School day.

Remain aloof and remember you aren't at work to make friends, you're there to earn a living and hopefully she'll do the same and you'll not have to interact too often.
 Krustybird

Boyfriend scared to tell his teenage daughter he's dating!
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:45:13 PM
I'm in agreement with the father here I'm afraid.

Your child needs picking up, you go pick them up, end of! She's 16 not 26 and at that age they still require parenting and protecting. If someone had a strop with me for choosing my child (no matter what age) over them, then it would just show me that they weren't the right one for me.

As for the 5 months and still being kept in the dark, again bloody good on him. There are too many screwed up kids who see their parents fcuking all and sundry and think that's the proper way to behave. As long as he's been truthful to you then the ball's in your court, you either understand and abide by his rules in regards to his daughter, or you walk and go find someone with laxer attitude to parenting or perhaps someone with no kids.

It's not how everyone sees it but it's how I would deal with it in a similar situation. My son is 17 and I'd drop anyone at a second's notice if he needed me.

Got to add here though, is the mother incapable of collecting the daughter?
 Krustybird
Msg: 7 (view)

should more singles use motorbikes instead of cars?
Posted: 2/12/2011 7:18:16 AM

Love affairs come and go, but few can have endured with such lingering and obvious affection as that between Stuart Jenkinson and his motorbike Vinnylonglegs.

After more than half a century of happy times together, during which the retired chemistry lecturer has never forsaken the object of his desire for the allure of a younger model, the time has come to finally say goodbye.

In April, Vinnylonglegs – the name he gave to his beloved 1955 Vincent Black Prince – is to be sold at the Imperial Motorcycle Show in Staffordshire with an estimated price tag of £45,000.

The parting of the ways between the 83-year-old, who is now too weak to lift the bike, and one of the jewels from the heyday of the late lamented British motorcycle industry, will prove a sad occasion for the one careful owner of what is thought to be among the most travelled machines in the history of two-wheeled transport.

"It's a love affair of sorts. Yes, absolutely that's right," he said this week as he gave it the once over for one last time at his home in the Cleveland hills. "Selling it feels like selling a child. I feel so sentimental about it. A few women would have a feeling like that for a machine but there are plenty of guys like me who have fallen in love with a bike," he added.

Found this on the web today, awwwwww how sweet. I hope whoever buys it loves it as much as Stuart has.
 Krustybird
Msg: 2 (view)

Egypt Rejoices as Mubarak departure
Posted: 2/12/2011 2:24:21 AM
I'm not sure it IS such a great thing.

I've been watching it quite closely because of the repercussions there may be across the rest of the area (Algerians are having a strop now!).

Yes, great for the people to get what they want but do they really know what they want, as the only alternative being banded about seems to be this Muslim Brotherhood.

The MB 'movement' (allegedly it's not a political party, dunno how that works?) is slightly worrisome to say the least. From what I've been able to glean from various web sites and such, they're a barely once removed Terrorist organisation, with pro Nazi leanings ( I bet Israel is happy about this) and extreme views on how women should be treated within society. They seem to be quite contradictory, stating that they would not force women to cover up and yet also stating that they would segregate men and women students, have a separate curriculum for females and also ban dancing and other lewd behaviours.

I don't know but I see trouble ahead :/ I hope I'm wrong.
 Krustybird
Msg: 4 (view)

should more singles use motorbikes instead of cars?
Posted: 2/10/2011 11:28:51 PM
After seeing a young girl's pelvic bone (from behind!) whilst she was lying under a lorry that had dragged her under its wheels for 100 feet, a young man's helmet on the wrong way round, with his head still in it and going to hospital at 17 to see my then boyfriend, with the bottom half of his face missing to say goodbye before his life support was turned off?

No, don't think so. None of the above were the fault of the biker, they were all sideswiped by larger vehicles and I don't do pain agony and I'm quite partial to the body parts I have and would like to keep them all please!
 Krustybird

Frape - The Most Ridiculous Saying Ever???
Posted: 2/10/2011 11:09:01 PM
Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I used to get discomfited by a certain Anglo Saxon word for the female genitalia until a much loved lady poster on here showed me how daft it was to be bothered by a few letters and rather than railing against something I can do nothing about, it's far better to reclaim the word and remove it's negative powers.

It's a group of letters, it hurts no one and nothing.

I'd rather spend my energies on reducing real life rape than bothering with the non-word Frape.
 Krustybird
Msg: 18 (view)

Andy Gray sacked for Sexist comments
Posted: 2/8/2011 10:43:32 AM
I don't agree with the attack on the above poster whatsoever and thought it overstepped the mark somewhat but I'm afraid I do also take umbrage at the comments she made although I would accept she has the right to post them.

Here's why,

How is it not all right for him to make personal comments about the female official and yet you find it perfectly acceptable to call him a fat, hideous idiot?

How is it sexist and wrong for him to make comments about women and the offside rule and you find it perfectly acceptable to make a sweeping statement such as old, ugly, fat, balding men?

Can you see the irony of the post?
 Krustybird
Msg: 5 (view)

The Handbag Hero...
Posted: 2/8/2011 10:36:35 AM
Go get em!! Good on her that's my view.

She was bloody magnificent and I for one salute her. Yes she might have been a silly mare for going in gung ho like that but I doubt you think about the possible repercussions when something like that happens.

She was a great catalyst too, once she went in for the kill the rest of the public went after the burglars and good on them. Instead of the Jewellers being given a crime number for insurance purposes now they have someone to prosecute and bring to book for the crime.

As for the OP's questions,

1/ I doubt she'll be sued, as a poster above stated, that looked like 'reasonable force' to me.

2/I think the cameraman was pretty sensible actually, staying safe but getting good footage of the incident can be very helpful and he did get going eventually.

3/ I don't think that will be an issue unfortunately, I'd lay odds that it will be a non custodial sentence.

EDIT vvvv Msg 9 .... Gotta agree with you there Finbarr, I once jumped out of the car to confront a gang of lads who were thumping another lad in the street, they stopped and ran off when I shouted to them but when I told my partner he was mortified and told me I should have kept my nose out of it. I told him that could just have easily been our son and I'd damn well hope someone would come to his aid should he be in a similar predicament.

Yes she could have been hurt but shoulda woulda coulda what if didn't happen and she's ok.

Also I'm unsure as to how 'it was none of her business' as crime should be all of our business when we witness it and we should get involved even if only by reporting it. It's the only thing standing between us and anarchy!
 Krustybird
Msg: 6 (view)

Who deserves it more??
Posted: 2/8/2011 9:54:56 AM
I'm not au fait with how the CSA or whatever governmental body it is nowadays works. Does the father pay a set amount no matter how much he has the children or does it work on a sliding scale dependent on how much time he doesn't spend with them?
Because if so, that's only one day a week she's having with them that is extra to him and to me that would not warrant a £258k payout plus maintenance?
 Krustybird
Msg: 5 (view)

Who deserves it more??
Posted: 2/8/2011 8:13:11 AM

so in my eyes yes the ex wife should be entitled to some of it afterall she will be the one bringing up the children .

Playing Devil's advocate here but why is she the one who will be bringing up the children? Could they not be sharing custody 50/50? Just because he is disabled it does not mean he cannot have an active role in his children's upbringing?

What does the law state now? Does it still stand that the husband should provide proper housing for his ex and his offspring until they leave full time education or is that long gone? If so then that is what he should provide, if not then she should stand on her own two feet, take half of what was put into the marriage, stop whinging and concentrate on her children. Any assets owned by either person prior to marriage should never be considered in any divorce settlement IMO. He was awarded £500k in 1998, they married in 2003 and yet she has been awarded £285k in 2011, how is that fair? Did she lose a leg? Suffer serious spinal injuries? Has she lost the ability to work for a living? No she just wants money for nothing.

So, to me the wife shouldn't have a penny of it, the children yes but not the ex wife. Or will we be seeing compensation claims going in with the settlement including an amount for any future separations?

I may be a woman but I think men are dealt a really shitty hand when it comes to family law!!
 Krustybird

Benefit 'Vouchers' ?
Posted: 2/8/2011 1:31:06 AM
^^ I too used to think that would be a good idea until someone pointed out that there would suddenly be a thriving black-market for these vouchers with them being exchanged for non approved items and these fraudsters would still have an outlet for money/voucher laundering.
 Krustybird
Msg: 14 (view)

That awkward moment when you run into someone you've wronged!
Posted: 2/6/2011 10:14:17 AM
Message 9 has it spot on, you were totally vindicated in your decision not to respond.

Who the Hell decided any of us HAS to respond to anyone else anyway? In my old profile I used to respond to everyone but it gets a bit boring after the umpteenth 'Did you not read my profile it says there I'm not up for an NSA shag in the local hotel whilst you're up here selling sanitary bins to the local hospital?' reply. So now if someone wants to send a pointless message to me, then it's only their time they waste and not mine.

If I don't want to reply to a message then tough titty laa laa. That is my prerogative and I plan to exercise my right of no reply to it's fullest extent. You did not 'wrong' this man you chose to not reply to him, big difference. The fact he felt the need to vent his spleen when he happened to meet you makes me think that perhaps his choice of club or perhaps even message recipient wasn't quite so random as you might believe. He probably recognised your picture from previous visits to the club, thought that'll do for me, no more queuing and messaged you. You spoiled his fun so he made you pay by behaving like a 4 year old denied another sweetie.

Keep on not replying all you want, it stops the " I didn't fancy you anyway you ugly old cow" responses and whilst they can be fun to play with they get boring pretty quickly

Krustybird

Bar Staff not doing the job right
Posted: 2/5/2011 6:07:05 AM

I'm glad to know I was using the proper etiquette all along and I've often gone up to a bar with an empty glass tapping it on the counter to draw the barman's attention to me if he's not there or occupied elsewhere, like at the other end of the bar...it's better than shouting "Oi, you down there..give us another one of them and hurry up!", it's less intrusive.

If you have been doing as the lady said, ie :-

The best way to get served is to show your money in your hand as it shows you are there to do business not just cluttering up the serving area and make simple eye contact with the staff without hassling them and don’t turn away to chat to your mates.

Then you have indeed been using the proper 'etiquette'. There is a world of difference between just standing at the bar with your (generic) money on show and standing there, leaning on the bar and waving a note around like it's the chequered flag and the barstaff are meant to be fighting one another off for the honour of winning the race to serve you (again generic). Of course there are far worse ways to try and gain the staff's attention but the tapping and waving was irritating not just to me but to all the staff I worked alongside.
 Krustybird

Still be friends
Posted: 2/5/2011 1:39:00 AM
I actually don't see this as being something to be done just to cause drama and heartache for either party. The OP sounds as though she is genuinely fond of the gentleman in question and would perhaps like to keep in contact and maybe even form a purely platonic friendship.

Whether the gentleman would want the same is a different matter but how would she find out if this were a viable option unless she contacted him and asked him? There was a thread on here not long ago whereby a man was asking if he should end a relationship via text or some such thing and many of us told him he was being cowardly by just walking away, surely this is the same thing? At least if the OP sent the man a message of some sort explaining her feelings, her fondness but her lack of romantic spark, then he could make an informed decision.

The ball would be in his court and as long as (if he chooses not to reply) the OP leaves it at that, then where's the drama?

I know a couple of men who hated the can we be friends messages but at least they knew where they stood and could either move on or enjoy a new found friendship.

EDIT* vvv I get where you're coming from so perhaps I misinterpreted this
Don't get me wrong, I actually miss my daily contact with him but I just don't see myself with him and that upsets me as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
as meaning more than the OP actually intends. My bad :) .

A toughie as I for one would want to know for definite but I suppose it might be best to let sleeping dogs lie as has already been said.
 Krustybird
Msg: 26 (view)

Beauty & The Beast: Ugly Face Of Prejudice
Posted: 2/4/2011 1:29:19 PM

The world is not full of beautifull people. Must we pretend that it is ?

No we don't but we can be a little more delicate than ...

Jeez that woman is hard to look at. I dont like her singing either personally. But those ruddy cheeks and that hair. ...... shudders....ugh.
Susan Boyle has replaced Maggie Thatcher for increasing a man staying power.
But only if used wisely .

That is not about finding her unattractive, that's just downright spiteful and unnecessary!
 Krustybird

6 nations rugby 2011
Posted: 2/4/2011 7:58:21 AM
^^ Same here, I always thought League was the girlie version of Rugby, it is faster yeah but it's nowhere near as physical.
 Krustybird

Posted: 2/4/2011 7:31:25 AM
Badge, yes you're right, we did get to know what the regulars drank and on quiet nights we'd have no problems serving people in the proper order. But it's not always that easy, what you can do for twenty or thirty people you cannot hope to achieve when you're catering for 200 or more.

I worked at the Old Excelsior by Birmingham cargo airport and we would have many weddings receptions there. I remember one of them well, the bar manager went off sick and it left me and one other girl working the wedding. Halfway through the night she buggered off leaving me on my todd trying to serve 150+ people.

The party was wonderful, I ended up with guests running around glass collecting for me, them all queuing properly for their drinks and at the end of the night they had a whip round and gave me £85 in tips (this was 1990). I'd have had no chance otherwise and that wouldn't have been my fault. I'm pretty sure they complained to the Hotel management though and I hope they got some money back for the typically mismanaged staffing of the party.

Yes of course there are shitty barstaff but I suppose there's bound to be as there is in every occupation.

Nowadays if someone waved a bank note over the bar at me, I'd stuff it in my knickers, flash them a bit of thigh and hightail it outta there!

EDIT*vv And the staff know what drinks each and every one of those 200+ gig goers has?
 Krustybird

Posted: 2/4/2011 5:29:48 AM
I did barwork when I was a student way back when and I'd always try to serve people in the order in which they came to the bar. It is very difficult when it's very busy and I'm pretty damned certain that not a one of you on here, myself included could keep tabs on a milling scrummage of a hundred plus people all scrambling to be served first. Everywhere else people queue, I can't understand why it's not the done thing at bars?

I'd never be rude or ignore people but a waved bank note or tapping on the bar would always get my back up. I'd be thinking I'm a barmaid not a trained bloody monkey, wait or bugger off, tapping and waving won't make any difference. Tapping on the counter or wafting a note around is rude, don't do it you'll piss off ninety percent of all barstaff.

Patience my friend.
 Krustybird
Msg: 35 (view)

The catastrophic break up of the NHS.
Posted: 2/3/2011 11:17:32 PM

I know for a fact that a "local" company (HQ is based in protugal) employs mostly immigrant workers, they are experts in the field, they recently got in 24 workers from Romania, took em on at a rate of just over £2 an hour (I think its a little less than £3), those workers like like gypsies, because while the rate is unacceptable for me or any of my friends to live on for them it is just fine, they will like like gypsies for 6 months until the visa runs out then return to Romania and live like kings for 6 months until they return.

Eh? Excuse me but bullpoopy!

Taken from a Government site specifically in regards to migrant and immigrant workers...

The right to a minimum wage
There are rules about how much an hour your employer must pay you. The
very least they must pay you is an amount called the National Minimum
Wage (NMW)

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates are:
£5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
£4.92 - the 18-20 rate
£3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
£2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

Now I doubt they're all young apprentices at your quoted employer are they so I'd be informing the authorities of the companies flagrant disregard for UK employment law!

last time I went I was given a script, too it to tesco, paid my subsidised wack of £6 odd and got a box of paracetamol.
Time before was private healthcare...
in the past 9 years Ive seen an NHS doctor once and it cost me £6 odd for box of £1.20 pain killers.
Thats a remarkable proffit on my NI contributions...
I pay them in, somebody else comes along and takes it out... same as it ever was!

No disrespect but that was a tad dippy now wasn't it? Surely you could read the printed prescription and would have been able to make the informed decision to purchase a few paracetamol instead of taking up the prescription? I've never been prescribed paracetamol, I was asked if I had to pay for my prescriptions once and when I answered I did, I was told to go and buy some Paracetamol. And ok so up til now, it's a remarkable profit but should you have a serious accident or perhaps develop a chronic illness then that would be eaten up pretty quickly. As an aside, you're a student so how are you paying any NI conts?

But of course all this will fall on deaf ears, and people will continue to support a system that is rotten to the core because they are happy to take from the system, while contributing very little, or people who take what they give and thats it.
Its no wonder the system is going to pot when the split is a 70/30 one to those who take take take.

And what of those born with chronic disease? Those who develop lifelong conditions that require high levels of medical care? Are they takers? course they aren't and I'm damned sure they'd all swap to being the giver rather than taker at the earliest opportunity.

What would happen to those with congenital illness or a genetic pre disposition for early onset dementia, heart disease etc? would insurers be required to accept them despite them being a guaranteed loss?

Suddenly medical care would be a business with profit making a priority. We've all seen how well that did for the public transport system and for the postal service.

No sorry the NHS is not something I'd want to see disbanded and handed over to the private sector.
 Krustybird
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 2/3/2011 12:02:44 AM

Jeez that woman is hard to look at. I dont like her singing either personally. But those ruddy cheeks and that hair. ...... shudders....ugh.

I doubt very much that you would be to her taste either but I'm sure she'd be a little less condescending and cruel in her rebuff.

I watched the last half of the programme last night, I forgot (doh). I thought it was well put together and in fact was probably skewed in favour of the "beast" ugh I hate that term. I think they were both very empathetic towards one another and by the end of the show could really understand why the other felt the way they did.

I loved the billboards! Bloody brilliant but I do wonder if the people who were grabbed on the street by the pant man had not been in his presence, would they have been so positive?

There is a baby with cherubism who lives near to us. I noticed the baby was 'different' of course I did and I confess to doing a double take, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't bat an eyelid. But I didn't avoid talking to the mother, I didn't recoil in horror, I just cooed at the little one and then asked the mother if she minded my asking what the baby had. You could see the lady visibly relax and she explained about cherubism and was really quite forthcoming in the challenges she and her daughter will face in the future. We've met in the street a few times since and I always coo at the little one and ask after her and her mother. We've become quite friendly and the mother has told me how she dreads coming out, she gets the full gamut of reactions, from squealing teenaged girls, to laughing boys taking pictures, to older women taking a peek and then just walking off without saying a thing and it's these silent people she says who hurt the most.

We cannot be truly non reactionary in the presence of such obvious disfigurements but we can and should be thoughtful in how we behave in light of them.
 Krustybird
Msg: 39 (view)

The Human Race - Where are we heading?
Posted: 2/2/2011 1:33:06 AM
I don't know about this one. Yes anger is a natural human emotion but surely one of our responsibilities as a highly evolved species is to understand and be able to curb that anger before it become destructive.

If my partner spent his entire life shouting at me then there would be nothing normal or natural about it and we wouldn't be lasting very much longer. I get angry of course I do but it doesn't follow that I will automatically start shouting at the object of my anger.

I don't like shouting, I don't like disharmony, it unsettles me and I will do everything in my power to avoid it and I deal with being shouted at very badly indeed.

Is it violence though? Only if we agree that all men are sexist, all women are bunny boiling nutters, Blackboards are inherently racist and that pigs are a purposefully intended affront to Muslim society. It's far too sweeping a generalisation to claim all shouting is violent.
 Krustybird
Msg: 23 (view)

The catastrophic break up of the NHS.
Posted: 2/2/2011 12:03:01 AM

I would let it break up myself, splinter into pieces.

I mean its not like it ever really worked for me anyway, and I dont think Im the only one who a; never goes to the doctor or hospital and b; is sick of paying for everybody else to go for free.

The care you get is more often than not lack luster at best but only now and again do you get a diamond in the rough.

Bye bye Englands glory.

Just because it never worked for you doesn't mean to say that it never worked ever!

Ok so you may not go to your Dr/hospital ever but should you get run over by a bus then you'll be very grateful for the NHS I would imagine. The NHS is there not for the what has been but for the what if. None of us know what may come to pass and it's very comforting to have the safety net that is the NHS should we ever fall from our lofty perch of good health.

I doubt very much if any private health insurance such as the USA has in place would be as reasonable as current NI contributions and I for one would not like to see lower income'd hit harder than they already are.

Your choice of dentist and optician are just that, a choice. There are NHS dentists out there and subsidised eye testing, the fact you choose to pay more is down to you. NHS services are available and are just as adequate.

Of course there are those who abuse the system but that is the case with everything and I'm sure there would be many a fraudulent claim should we have to depend on medical insurances.

The system is flawed, of that there is no doubt but it is the lesser evil when looking at the alternatives.
 Krustybird

Dealing with a thoughtless woman (or man)
Posted: 2/1/2011 10:03:30 PM

I didn't threaten you at all, I suggested I could behave as badly as you felt like behaving towards your mother's friend given your style of posting but it's best to take a breather and think about the consequences of acting rashly and to communicate rather than have a knee-jerk reaction and cause all sorts of untold mayhem.

and btw this is what you wrote in your OP:

Right now I want to go and knock this woman out, seriously, I could cause her some real physical damage for the pain she has caused my mum.

Yet again I have to deal with selective quotation which alters the context of the statement entirely...

I shall quote the above in it's entirety.

Right now I want to go and knock this woman out, seriously, I could cause her some real physical damage for the pain she has caused my mum.Fortunately for her, I'm sensible enough to know it wouldn't achieve a thing. I do however think I might visit her and let her know just how badly she has hurt my mother with her thoughtless comments.

There you go, no knee jerk reaction. Just me being pissed (rightly so imo) at a thoughtless woman making a damned stupid comment but having the sense and maturity to know that any aggression would be ill advised and would achieve nothing!

You've got anger management issues!

The above couldn't be further from the truth if you'd tried. Someone was downright cruel to my mother and I would hope that everyone would jump to a parent's defence in a similar situation. There are many who wouldn't have been so self controlled as I.

We shall have to agree to disagree, this is my final say on the matter as the subject heading is dealing with a thoughtless woman/man and not how dreadful is the OP for being pissed off with a thoughtless person.
 krustybird
Msg: 21 (view)

Songs that you play, when you break up with her/him?
Posted: 2/1/2011 5:01:28 AM
From a long long time ago but still a song that brings me to tears every time I hear it.

The wounds on your hands never seem to heal
I thought all I needed was to believe

Here am I, a lifetime away from you
The blood of christ, or the beat of my heart
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes

Senseless years thunder by
Millions are willing to give their lives for you
Does nothing live on?

Learning to cope with feelings aroused in me
My hands in the soil, buried inside of myself
My life believes in you once again

I'll go walking in circles
While doubting the very ground beneath me
Trying to show unquestioning faith in everything
Here am I, a lifetime away from you
The blood of christ, or a change of heart

My life believes
My life believes in you once again

David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto
 krustybird

Posted: 1/31/2011 10:36:18 AM
I hate the elitist attitude of certain people in regards to those with facial deformities or less than model quality looks.

The lady in the OP is amazing and I hope her appearance on TV educates those ignorant people who find disfigurement in others a source of humour.

One of my friends was burned badly as a baby, she was in a baby walker which tipped over and she fell face first onto an electric fire. She has lost most of her hair, the left side of her face is covered in scar tissue, she has holes in the left cheek, no left ear, her left forearm is badly scarred and her left hand has rudimentary stumps instead of fingers.

But to me, she's just Theresa, a slightly nutty bird with a sick sense of humour and (metaphorical) skin as thick as a Rhino's arse! She's married to a soldier, has two gorgeous sons and leads a fulfilled and busy life. Yet the comments and the stares she gets when we go out together are awful. People don't even bother being discrete and politeness is totally forgotten.

I can't claim total moral superiority here, I looked twice when I first met her but I'm damned certain I didn't make any rude comments and her scars never bothered me in the slightest. I quickly got used to the being there, totally forgot about them and in fact on a couple of occasions had no idea who someone was talking about when referring to "the girl with the dreadful burns".

Susan Boyle may not be classically beautiful but neither is she anyone to ridicule. She has faced enough adversity through her life and to dismiss her as being unbonkable is just as cruel as gawking at a burns victim across the cafe.

We are all beautiful in our own way, we just need to find that certain someone who sees our beauty and uniqueness. So no, I've never turned from someone just because they aren't Calvin Klein model material, the inside lasts so much longer than the outside anyway.

EDIT vvv I'm sorry, I don't follow?
 krustybird
Msg: 10 (view)

should you stop having friends once married
Posted: 1/31/2011 6:09:57 AM
.Oh I didn't think you used facebook OP?? EDIT** Got you Bambi x..

As for your friend, sometimes people just move on. It's a shame but it just happens. My mum's neighbour was very close, a lovely lady who brought her into her family and her day to day life. They became really close with the neighbour taking mum shopping and to the cinema, enjoying afternoon teas and meals out. Then one day, another neighbour informed my mum that Sadia had got married and from that day forward she has not spoken a word to my mum or any of us.

We sent her a congratulations card and have waved to her when we've seen her outdoors but she just drops her head and goes inside without speaking. It's sad but there's nothing any of us can do. We cant make her explain her change of attitude, we just have to respect her wishes. Maybe just let your friend know that you're there for her whenever and if ever she needs you. Deep breaths, chin up and as long as you know you've done nothing wrong, then don't let it eat you up.
 krustybird
Msg: 9 (view)

staff searches at work
Posted: 1/30/2011 11:17:38 PM
After reading up a bit more on the subject, did you know that only a Police Officer has the right to search you or your belongings.

You can refuse a search at work and if they still insisted, then you could demand an officer be present and to carry out the search.

I know that's a bit extreme but I like many people always believed that your employer had a legal right to carry out a limited search whilst you are in their employ and on their property.
 krustybird

Posted: 1/30/2011 12:27:54 PM

I see...

perhaps then, you will reconsider any rash action you would take when feeling offended on the behalf of others in the future, because it would appear you/any of us cannot know the complete story or picture of the relationship between apparent antagonists.

I could very easily have reported your comment as breaking the rules of this forum because it was clearly written to provoke a reaction as you have admitted so honestly...and I could have also very easily cited previous posts of yours (recent) as proof that you are rather angry in your delivery and might possibly be guilty of being an aggressor aka troll...after all your language when it comes to defending your point of view is rather off-colour and in my view both intimidating and highly offensive...but, luckily for you I am not wound up as tight as you are...and am therefore more forgiving and understanding.

I'm glad for you that you managed to have a good and positive confrontation with the woman you once felt like smashing her head in (her being a pensioner...it would have been a very unequal battle after all) and I'm sure it was a good lesson for you that some people are capable of apologising gracefully upon recognising their guilt.

Ok I'm glad you feel vindicated, all's well that ends well.

A couple of pointers. I never at any point threatened to smash pensioner's head in, in any case the woman in question is 57 so it's a moot point anyway. Assume and all that.....

My comment was not written to provoke a reaction of any kind, it was written as an example of how hearing something painful and detrimental is never soothing to a grieving parent, ever. Had I used an instance whereby the fictional child had been seen making daisy chains with their best friend then there would have been no comparison. the entire point of using an instance such as that was to re iterate how painful it is for someone to say something without thinking. It obviously worked.

The subject was presented for debate and as such is being debated with perfect forthrightness and I would hope that no one has been offended on any one's behalf. I have never sought to intimidate and or offend, I at all times attempt to address the post and not the poster, perhaps my lack of smiley faced emoticons is to blame for the ambiguity of the sentiment in my prose.

As for my learning any lessons, yes I have been educated. It seems that apparently to some people, others can say whatever the hell they want to in regards to my family's loss but should I dare to confront anyone in regards to their comments then I am nothing more than a mere thug.

I thank you kindly for your sweeping criticism of me personally and your threats of attrition, I shall be more careful in future.
 krustybird
Msg: 3 (view)

At what age do you become the older man/woman?
Posted: 1/30/2011 12:42:23 AM
When the person you're pursuing or being pursued by is younger than you perhaps??
 krustybird

staff searches at work
Posted: 1/29/2011 5:20:47 AM
They have no right whatsoever to perform such a search in a public place. You are entitled to your privacy and as such any and all searches should be undertaken in a quiet area with at least 3 people present, yourself, the searcher and another person. You can even deny the search if the searcher is of the opposite gender to yourself and you can demand that everyone present is the same sex as yourself.

You can make a fuss, or perhaps just bring it up quietly to your manager. It may just be that they haven't realised how degrading the searches might be, especially if you have personal items in your bags/pockets.

Just mention it and see what they say, they must have an office available that would be perfectly adequate for staff searches.
 krustybird
Msg: 106 (view)

Why is it that apparently any type of music is deemed as acceptable apart from metal
Posted: 1/29/2011 12:52:54 AM
I am not sure as to why it is regularly singled out but I have to admit to being biased the other way, I cannot stand Hip Hop, R&B or anything of that genre, it just doesn't jingle my jangle.

Oooh Bambi, you're gonna hate me, years ago I got totally ratarsed with the entire Metallica band and road crew, they are all complete gentlemen and great great fun to be with!

Musical snobbery is hysterical but we're all guilty of it to some degree and anyway, someone, somewhere who is extremely clever said that unless you love and understand Free-form Jazz you're bereft of any musical knowledge whatsoever..

Means I'm buggered then!

krustybird
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 1/28/2011 11:21:13 PM
Christ Almighty, firstly I do agree with what you said about it being cruel and unnecessary but sometimes shock tactics can change someone's point of view. Life can seem black and white in many aspects until it involves someone you really care about and then all the subtle greys come into play. ZG and I go back a long way, we are both adults and can separate our debates from our personal friendship. We are as he said, absolutely fine with one another, although I have no doubt he'll shout at my prose yet again after reading this post.

OK ZG....

Right now I want to go and knock this woman out, seriously, I could cause her some real physical damage for the pain she has caused my mum.

Obviously I'm having problems with my comprehension tonight.....

.....or you are talking 'bollox'

No your comprehension capabilities are as always faultless, as is your ability to be entirely selective in your choice of what you read and absorb.

The statement you quoted was immediately followed by the disclaimer...

Fortunately for her, I'm sensible enough to know it wouldn't achieve a thing. I do however think I might visit her and let her know just how badly she has hurt my mother with her thoughtless comments.

Instantly negating the threat, poor as it was in the first place. So if you place the two together as they were written, there was never any intention of physical violence.

I have spoken to this woman since the incident, she still has all her teeth and no bruises you'll be pleased to know, she and her husband were walking their dog, we met up and she brought the subject up giving me the opening I needed. I explained to her how hurt mum had been and the lady was mortified, she said she'd realised immediately she'd made a stupid remark but didn't realise how damaging it had been. She thanked me for telling her, her husband told her she should go to Clarke's instead of the dentists and we all left on good terms and hopefully the lady will think before she speaks in the future.

It seems we view this incident from opposite sides of the spectrum and unless you were privy to my brother's and my own childhoods you wouldn't truly be able to understand why he never spoke of it at the time. I still cannot understand why the fault would ever lay with him or my mother and their choices of the time, or what it has to do with the subject topic?

As for my being incapable of empathy or shared grief, I have experienced more heartache than most people my age and am bordering on being a professional griever. I can and do empathise greatly with everyone and anyone who has lost a loved one. I know how badly it hurts and how utterly useless you feel in the light of such a devastating blow.

My brother died well, he was warm, comfortable, free from pain and asleep. I take great comfort from that, all my family do. Our enduring memories of his final moments are of him lying in the sunlight, a faint smile on his lips and just slowly winding down til he stopped. It brings a lump to my throat and hurts way down deep but I know that's a selfish hurt, I hurt at my loss, my experience, my memories, not at how he died.

I have a friend who's daughter was murdered and she died hard. It took a long time and you can bet your life she was shit scared and in agony. My friend had struggled with her loss as you would imagine but when she went to the trial the facts of her daughters death almost killed her. Sometimes it's best not to know, especially when the person you care about is no longer there to assure you that it's all right now, to not worry about them, they're ok where they are. Empathy takes many forms and taking a moment to think about how the person you are regaling with your tales of distress and pain before offloading on them will be affected by that knowledge is a very big part of empathising with them.
 krustybird

Posted: 1/28/2011 2:50:19 PM
Ooooh, at risk of turning this chatty, it wasn't at all misconstrued Molly and I apologise if I seemed a little brusque.

Thank you for your forthright response it's greatly appreciated.

ZG message 29 ....

I know it sounds strange that my brother did not inform my mother but we had a testing childhood and to admit you had been bullied would have brought ridicule and further bullying antics from our stepfather and so we never took such things home, we dealt with them however we could. Such behaviour was far less frowned upon decades ago wasn't it. (Oh and I'm no victim, never have been and never will be)

And

You assume he was stricken with illness at the time of the incident, in fact he was not, he was diagnosed with Diabetes at 15 and Renal failure at 28, the incident occurred at around age 12/13.

I do believe that covered it quite nicely. He never told her, he wasn't ill at the time and she wasn't in the habit of stripping her 12/13 year old son and checking him for abrasions on a daily basis either, so it's fairly simple really.

Oh and I was never planning on 'assaulting her' but I suppose the

Fortunately for her, I'm sensible enough to know it wouldn't achieve a thing. I do however think I might visit her and let her know just how badly she has hurt my mother with her thoughtless comments.
and the

I'm not planning on going round and gobbing off at this woman fish wife style, I have a little more self control and decorum than that,
or even the

I don't want to go round shouting my mouth off but I would like to perhaps gently suggest that she thinks in future.
were too obscure to be understandable either.
 krustybird
Msg: 29 (view)

Driving - A simple question
Posted: 1/28/2011 11:55:56 AM
I don't drive, I've never learned. Why? Because it's never appealed to me, being in control of a ton + of steel on a road where hundreds of others are so obviously NOT in control of their vehicles quite frankly scares the shit outta me and I don't mind admitting it.

I don't think it's ever been problematic date wise, I'm not one for expecting lifts everywhere. I do however feel guilty when it's always my partner doing the kiddie chauffeuring with our children. Still doesn't make me want to learn, I think that with the fear I have of driving I'd be a liability on the roads and, as there's already plenty of them out there it's my responsibility not to add to the mix.

It was never a deciding factor in choosing a prospective partner and it never would be. Shanks' pony is good enough for me most of the time and if not, then there's always a bus, train or taxi.
 krustybird
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 1/28/2011 10:58:37 AM

True, your use of English was a tad poor (especially the bit which you highlighted), but it quite reasonable of her to have been unable to comfort him shortly afterwards or to have been able to trace his attackers.

Touché - especially the bit which I highlighted.

Perhaps the respondent statement may deserve a small touché but I still find it difficult to see where one would assume that everything was a known from what was written in the OP? Surely if you were informed that your child had been attacked in such a manner you would have made an attempt to find the antagonists, or pass the information on to the authorities for them to make enquiries about? And you would have certainly comforted your child had you known of such an incidence occurring. It's an emotive subject for me and as such the writing is emotional and perhaps a little less formal than normal. I shall endeavour to curb such behaviour in any future posts.

I know it sounds strange that my brother did not inform my mother but we had a testing childhood and to admit you had been bullied would have brought ridicule and further bullying antics from our stepfather and so we never took such things home, we dealt with them however we could. Such behaviour was far less frowned upon decades ago wasn't it. (Oh and I'm no victim, never have been and never will be)

ZG, perhaps put yourself in a similar position, your son is dead and someone down the pub happens to mention that the last time he saw him he was in tears, being rogered senseless by the local Paedophile ring. You'd really find comfort in that?
 krustybird

WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS
Posted: 1/28/2011 2:18:33 AM
Bambi, correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that this is a group of 4 adult children who were the product of one woman's 2 marriages. Both father's have passed leaving the mother and 4 kids. The mother has dementia and is in no fit state to control her own finances so the eldest daughter (from the 1st marriage) has taken over all finances and blocked out the remaining 3, with them having no access to information on their mother's health or financial well being or to her property? Mediation has been tried and failed and there is a solicitor involved on behalf of the eldest daughter with effect that the other 3 children are ostracised?

Is that about it?
 krustybird

Posted: 1/28/2011 1:45:08 AM
Gary I admire and respect you but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in this instance.

None whatsoever.

My use of the English language was perfectly adequate and calling my grammar into question is a poor substitute for proper argument, you and I both know that. The term 'never known' is hardly indecipherable is it? Perhaps if I'd prefixed with 'she'd' it may have been placed beyond doubt but it's still very difficult to miss the meaning behind the statement.

If the woman felt uncomfortable mentioning the incident whilst my brother was alive, then what on Earth possessed her to think it was appropriate now? You assume he was stricken with illness at the time of the incident, in fact he was not, he was diagnosed with Diabetes at 15 and Renal failure at 28, the incident occurred at around age 12/13. He was a lad, they get into plenty of scrapes, you don't strip your child and check them every night for abrasions at that age, well I don't anyway so any injuries could and were easily explained away.

You state again, that perhaps the woman thought my mother knew, assumption is a poor excuse for ignorance IMO, if you don't know then don't guess!

Years ago, one of friends slid from a roof at work, and died a week later from his injuries. His struggle to stay alive that week was recountered at his funeral by his mom, and some who were present said knowing of his battle had given them a little relief from their grief.

I have no idea what kind of person your friend was or who those at his funeral were or what kind of people they were but to bring that kind of awful ending up at a funeral is for me, perverse in the extreme. The fact he was in pain and struggled for days after an ultimately fatal accident would not sooth me in the slightest. And if that makes me lucky then I'm off to spend a tenner on Lottery tickets.
 krustybird

Posted: 1/27/2011 10:54:27 PM

After all, your mom already knew about the incident, and the woman knew she knew, so it wasn't that she was suddenly recounting something 'out-of-the-blue' that your mom hadn't known.

Where on Earth did you get that from? Neither myself nor my mother ever knew about that incident!! I even state in my OP that -

My mother has been distraught ever since, she cannot get the image of her baby being attacked and never known, never being able to comfort him or to confront his attackers.

So yes she was recounting something out of the blue that my mother hadn't known.

Further, it strikes me that woman might have thought that telling your mom about the incident would have shown her support and horror at what she saw

Yeah so supportive and horrified that she didn't think to mention it for 28 years, not even in the hope that the attackers might be caught and punished! Really helpful that!

I've tried and tried but I cannot think of a single incident where recounting something horrific happening to somebodies dead child could ever be a bonding process, not ever! I've also never experienced a eulogy whereby horrific incidences were flung into the mix, fond memories are shared, the good times remembered, the times when someone was a little bit of a bugger might be thrown in if appropriate to the person who is deceased but never have I heard something dreadful being used as a form of memorial.
 krustybird
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 1/27/2011 6:26:20 AM
This is the point, I know the woman in question did not meant to cause such pain and that's the reason why I called her thoughtless and not cruel.

I really do think she was just saying the first thing that came into her head and unfortunately it was not really the brightest thing to do. I don't want to go round shouting my mouth off but I would like to perhaps gently suggest that she thinks in future.

I suppose I do have a skewed view, cos this is my mommy and I love her but if it was me, I'd like to be told so I could avoid a repeat performance.
 krustybird

Posted: 1/27/2011 3:49:54 AM
I'm perfectly at peace with his passing Try, I know he'd had enough 2 years before he actually died and so I saw his death as an errrmmm , good thing? Ouch that sounds crappy but I can't explain it any better.

I just don't believe the onus lies with my mother to'get over it' she buried her child, you don't come to terms with that, you just don't. I'm not planning on going round and gobbing off at this woman fish wife style, I have a little more self control and decorum than that, I just think that perhaps, if she knew the pain she'd caused with her off the cuff comment, she'd be a little more thoughtful in the future. I'd want to know if I'd inadvertently but easily avoidably caused someone distress, I'd want to be able to make sure I didn't do it again. Wouldn't you?
 krustybird
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 1/27/2011 3:09:47 AM
OK bit of back history, my younger brother died four and half years ago after a very long and painful fight against Diabetes and Renal failure. He had a tough life throughout and was one of life's born victims bless him. His death was both a blessing and a shock as although he was end stage renal failure and was profoundly disabled, he was killed by MRSA due to a lazy nurse not disinfecting him and no matter the fact he was in pain, he was still taken too soon.

Now my mother and her friend were on the bus the other day and chatting away as you do. The friend mentioned that it was her son's 40th soon and then commented that of course it would have been my brother's 40th too had he been alive. Then she launched into a wonderful tale of how her overriding memory of him was seeing him running for his life as a young teenager with a gang of older kids chasing him and stoning him.

My mother has been distraught ever since, she cannot get the image of her baby being attacked and never known, never being able to comfort him or to confront his attackers. She feels so guilty over his death anyway and now she's been swallowed up with guilt for the pains he suffered in his life.

Right now I want to go and knock this woman out, seriously, I could cause her some real physical damage for the pain she has caused my mum. Fortunately for her, I'm sensible enough to know it wouldn't achieve a thing. I do however think I might visit her and let her know just how badly she has hurt my mother with her thoughtless comments.

But am I overreacting? Was it just an innocent comment and we really are just being over-sensitive and should perhaps realise the world moves on?
Have any of you had something similar happen, how did you deal with it?
 krustybird
Msg: 94 (view)

meeting someone married for coffee, right or wrong?
Posted: 1/26/2011 10:58:18 AM
Wow such judgemental attitudes appearing!

I joined this site years ago because I would help co host the meets with a couple of good friends then I found the forums and became addicted to them. It used to be that you just chose what you wanted and friendship was an option, that was good enough for me. Actually no, sod off it's none of your business as to why I'm on here, I can be, so I am, so there!

I'm in a relationship, not Purdah. I don't remember agreeing to never speak to a member of the opposite sex once I decided to settle down.I am a grown woman and I am perfectly capable of controlling my sexual urges in the presence of a man who is not my partner. I can even go to my male doctors on my own without wanting to screw his brains out!

Perhaps those who are so derisive would find it much harder if faced with the company of a man or woman who wasn't their significant other.

And if I wanted a bit of extra marital muckiness I'm pretty damned certain I wouldn't bloody pick Costa as my venue of choice!
 krustybird
Msg: 20 (view)

Science fact or Star Trek fantasy
Posted: 1/26/2011 8:15:32 AM
I've always felt this question to be conceited in the extreme. Not in respect to the OP but in respect of humanity as a whole.

Why do we as human beings demand that any alien life form must inhabit the same dimensions as we do? Why should they even have physical mass as we perceive physical mass? Why should they be measurable in any way whatsoever?

They could be among us now, co habiting quite happily, believing this world to be devoid of life and yet here we are.

Alien life does not have to follow the same rules as us, it doesn't have to be carbon based, it doesn't have to have the essential tick lists we insist for something to be declared living. Perhaps there are life forms that ingest suns and we are just some alien excreta, a Saturday morning shitfest after a Friday night star binge session!!
 krustybird

how are your nerves
Posted: 1/25/2011 12:35:06 PM

That looks like someone who knows what theyre doing. He was very calm, you could see obvious clearance between him and the train and the was he position himself was exploiting this fact.

Personally... I don't give a toss if he looks like someone who knew what they were doing. The bloody driver didn't know that did he? What about him? What if he had a heart attack at the sight of a body on the tracks? What about if for some strange (highly unlikely but possible) reason, him slamming on the brakes caused the train to jolt and derail? The man in this clip is a twat of the highest degree.

Show ALL Forums