Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Happiness
 father3
Msg: 15 (view)

Happiness
Posted: 12/16/2010 6:28:11 AM
I can make you happy in less than ten minutes. All of you, no exceptions.

Take two medium sized textbooks and hold one in each hand with your arms both outstretched to the sides. Keep the books there as level as possible for nine and a half minutes. Then put the books down. That feeling is happiness.

I could have SWORN it was a warm puppy.

"Happiness is a Warm Gun" according to Paul McCartney
 father3
Msg: 3 (view)

Can you see the Future?
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:54:31 PM

Riots in the streets of Europe have been rampant over the course of the last year or so. There has been a constant and consistent rising tension among people in the world today.
There is sadly no sign that tensions will cool as the wrong choices are being made at every turn, but as Europe treads ever closer to the brink of chaos... are they alone?

The sky is always falling. This quote could have been pulled from any newspaper post 1929 Europe. It gave rise to Hitler, Fascist Spain, Communist Russia. Half way around the world the Japanese were invading Manchuria. In Canada the people dumped the Liberals in the hope Bennett would turn the depression around. Then re-elected King in the reverse hope the Liberals would turn the economy around.

Fascists paraded in London, and New York City.
 father3
Msg: 22 (view)

A Quick Question about Gravity
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:45:48 PM
Add me too to those who have stared into a nuclear reaction, seen the pools where the waste is stored - crystal clear like the pool from Communion. With a definite bluish green hue.

To add to the absolute majesty and fascination this topic holds. Cup your hands together face upward. In your hands I can place enough Uranium to meet all YOUR needs of electricity for the next fifteen years.

Gravity and magnetism mimic one another like atoms mimic solar systems. They don't. For purposes of mathematics and predicting behaviour QM holds up to the Nth degree. For purposes of describing what is going on at a sub atomic level QM doesn't even begin to paint a picture we can visualize. We visualize using photons. Once you're at a sub atomic level the photon is too big to bring you back any worthwhile information.
 father3
Msg: 33 (view)

The edge of space
Posted: 12/8/2010 1:37:39 AM
There is enough matter (mass) in the universe to know that the curviture of space is enough so that space 'wraps' itself around back on itself. Such an idea is counterintuitive because from inside the universe one cannot see what this warping of space looks like. We can only imagine the curvature of space visually using 3 dimensional model representations of 4 dimensional spacetime. As pointed out earlier its akin to imagining what an as of yet undiscovered color looks like.

The best we do is imagine 3 dimensional space as the two dimensional surface of a sphere. If its a perfect sphere (unlike earth which is pearshaped) no matter what compass direction you head off in you will eventually arrive back at the same point. Since you can travel endlessly this way you will never come to an 'edge' of the universe. The edge doen't exist. Everything is contained within curved spacetime.

One consistant error ordinary observers make is to equate the empty vacuum of space with the nothing that the big bang expanded into. They aren't the same thing. The vacuum of space is what man explored on his way to the moon etc. "Nothing" however, has never been observed. By definition it is unobservable.

Some say that it's meaningless to speak of universes that don't have any life to witness them.

Some say flying spaghetti monsters created all sentient life. Adding perception as a requirement of meaningfulness is an idea that has pretty well died out with early 20th century philosophers. ie "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, it does not make a sound". The idea back then was that perception itself should be included as an additional dimension to spacetime. Broken down it just means that some believe there are more than one realities, in fact as many realities as there are sentient beings, each reality altered by the perception of each individual.
 father3
Msg: 31 (view)

Ethically Speaking, Are We Responsible For What We Fail to Prevent?
Posted: 11/14/2010 6:59:05 AM

Scenario - At a yard party, a man witnesses an apparently unsupervised toddler climbing on the rocks of a large fish pond. A few moments later, he enters the house, gets his jacket and leaves. The toddler is later found lifeless in the pond.

If the man is aware of the danger and realises that an obvious tragedy is unfolding before his eyes and does nothing - he is without a doubt ethically, morally and legally responsible for that indifference, and the death of the child. If the danger never registered in his mind for whatever reason, he is neither ethically, morally nor legally responsible for failing to recognise the danger to the child.

He would have to admit post mortem to his indifference to be charged or convicted of negligence resulting in the death of the child. To admit to that indifference he would in essense be admitting to being a sociopath. Although some sociopaths like to rub your nose in their indifference towards the lives of others, when it comes to a question of their own liberty it is highly unlikely such an admission would be forthcoming.
 father3
Msg: 12 (view)

Christmas Eve Tragedy
Posted: 10/13/2010 8:56:40 AM
Today, October 13th 2010, criminal charges were laid against the principals involved in this tragedy. After a thorough and lengthy investigation police laid charges of criminal negligence causing death. Included in the charges was the owner of the restotaion company involved.

The charges carry maximum sentences of life imprisonment.

This should be a wake up call to the industry after years of similar incidences without charges being laid. Now if anyone is thinking about skirting safety codes they'll think twice knowing their own liberty is at risk.
 father3
Msg: 47 (view)

Alimony .... I Just Don't Get It ....
Posted: 10/12/2010 4:47:57 PM

1. both people work
2. one person has no desire to work so quits and leeches welfare
3. other person now has to "compensate" for the income differece

WTF!!!

How does THAT math add up ?

THAT math doesn't add up. You've presented a scenario that isn't one in which someone (a) could collect (leech) welfare. You can't quit working in this country anywhere with the intention of collecting welfare. And (b) would be ordered to compensate the other for the income difference.

A marriage is a business partnership. All income in the marriage is considered income to this business. If one earns $100,000 and the other earns $40000 the partnership was earning $140000. Upon disolution of this partnership the income should still be split 50/50, that is both parties continue with $70000.

The length of time one would have to compensate the other by $30000 is dependent on many factors. If two people were married for only five years, the compensation wouldn't carry on for very long. If the marriage lasted 35 years, one would probably have to compensate the other for ever after.
 father3
Msg: 44 (view)

Alimony .... I Just Don't Get It ....
Posted: 9/30/2010 7:29:09 PM

If joint custody is at play, then neither parent will pay custody to the other.

I assume you mean "pay child support". In Ontario you can have joint custody and still be required to pay child support if one income is far greater than the other.

Alimony is not ridiculous since costs are always at play for children (rent, food, heat etc...). Granted the child will not pay rent but the parent will to pay for the rent that he/she has.

The question is about alimony, which in Ontario law is defined as spousal support. Spousal support is not child support. You seem to have thye two mixed up or combined the two as one entity. Child support continues until the children are 18 and living at home and can be extended if the children continue on with higher education beyond 18. There is not an alimony website for Ontario. There is however a chart to calculate child support based on income and number of children involved.

On the topic of alimony (spousal support).

In Ontario law, and most other jurisdictions, a marriage is a partnership much like a business partnership. When a marriage dissolves (ie divorce/separation) both parties are entitled to the assets of the marriage (business). The division of assets accumulated during the marriage is equal regardless of how much each partner earned during the marriage. Also both parties share in the debts accumulated during a marriage regardless of which party took on the debt. The amounts shared only apply to amounts accumulated during the marriage. This is called equalization.

Spousal support is much more complicated than equalization and there is no set fornmula to determine how much either party will have to pay to the other. The law takes into account many factors, a few of which are;
1. the length of the marriage
2. the difference in current earnings
3. the loss of earning potential due to the marriage - two examples would be; did one party forego a career or suspend a career to stay at home to raise children? or move to advance the career of the other? etc In some cases, but seen less and less in our modern times, the partners of the marriage decided that one party (usually the woman) wouldn't work outside of the house at all.

There is an assumption in family law in Ontario that once a marriage dissolves that both parties will make all attempts to be self sufficient in time and not rely on the other party for income support. The shorter the marriage was, the shorter the amount of time spousal support will be awarded.
 father3
Msg: 41 (view)

Daughter says she doesn't believe in God
Posted: 9/1/2010 1:39:53 PM
fifteen years old is nothing, if not a little old. one of my daughetrs stopped believing in santa claus at age 6, the other daughter at age seven, and my son stopped believing in santa claus at age 8. if she has taken un til age 15 to drop beliefs in supernatural powers perhaps she has been subjected to some serious mind controlling at school or perhaps by family/relatives.

lying to children is just wrong. we've all done it with santa claus/tooth fairies and easter bunnies, but when it comes right down to it and they ask if these supernatural entities really exist we owe it to them to come clean. the longer one waits to tell the truth the longer children must endure nightmares of malevolent supernatural beings such as boogy men.
 father3
Msg: 319 (view)

The Funniest Joke In The World! Seriously!
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:58:31 PM
this joke is probably ranked right up there in the top ten. "the aristocrats!!" is probably more widely recognized as the best joke ever.
 father3

Tamil Protesters To Paralyze Toronto Traffic
Posted: 5/13/2009 11:08:19 AM

I'm guessing the traffic tie-up didn't inconvenience YOU, so you don't see a problem with it.

You guessed wrong.

Problems in other parts of the world AREN'T our problems, and won't be until we have no problems here; I'm more concerned with the homeless in Canada than people with problems elsewhere.

Everyone prioritizes problems. Some people put our local homeless issue ahead of extermination in some far off land. Some people put traffic jams ahead of genocide. Others put their own broken fingernail ahead of starving millions.

but if the problem is a woman with starving children she can't feed in some 3rd world country, I'm not part of that problem... I didn't get her pregnant and abandon her.

Of course not. Its all her fault and the baby should die. Afterall, its a 3rd world nation, its not like they are actually people. In fact if she really wanted help, she could help herself and go work in one of our factories we've set up in her nation to make our running shoes.

And can you share with us what you've done to stand for the rights of others?

If someone feels a tad guilty it might be a tad easier to make a personal attack against anyone that says anything (not directed specifically at them) that perhaps is the source of their guilt, than to actually take some responsibility as a citizen of the world. You ask for a list of what I've done to stand for the rights of others, when right in front of you is evidence I've spoken out against blatant racism.

perhaps explain how causing a traffic snarl here would do anything to help the cause in Sri Lanka.

If in fact you don't agree that citizens of 3rd world nations are actually people and should be afforded the same rights and freedoms that we enjoy here, then perhaps this next part is an unnecessary read.

The demonstration on the Gardiner Sunday was in response to sudden and horrific news that was filtering through from the affected area in Sri Lanka. Some of the demonstrators had received news that day that loved family members had been slaughtered. Overwhelmingly they felt helpless, as would anyone, anywhere. They felt they immediately had to do something. Something more drastic than what they had been doing, like blocking University Ave.

Was it the right choice? By all means, given more time, less emotion, almost anyone could think of a better more affective way to respond. But they're human. They reacted. They didn't hurt anyone. And if you had never heard about the 100's of innocent lives being taken in Sri Lanka as the government forces move in for a final showdown with the Tamil Tiger terrorists, then by god, you've heard of it now.

The Tamil Tigers are a terrorist group, you can't make deals or negotiate with terrorists, they're like rabid dogs; all you can do is avoid them or destroy them. If they won't leave you alone the only option is to destroy them.

Here we can agree, mostly. But this isn't just about defeating the Tamil Tiger terrorists. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people are caught now in the crossfire. By letting the refugees escape the Sri Lankan government fears the remaining Tigers will slip through as well, and live to fight and terrorize another day. So they've decided no one leaves until the Tigers surrender unconditionally or they have been exterminated.

I confess, I don't know what other reasonable options the Sri Lankans have. But surely I can sympathize with the Tamil population here in the GTA. If my mother was caught in the crossfire, I'd want everything and anything done to stop it.

I sat on the QEW Sunday. I sat on the Lakeshore Sunday. I crawled my way up to Eglinton Avenue and made my way home by the most ridiculous route possible. I was royally pissed off that they had blocked a major highway. When I was finally home, I turned on the television and saw that many in that crowd would never be seeing their mothers again. I had just seen mine.
 father3
Msg: 19 (view)

Tamil Protesters To Paralyze Toronto Traffic
Posted: 5/12/2009 8:09:21 PM
The majority of the attitudes and opinions expressed in this thread disgust me. If not blatantly intolerant and racist, they are borderline bigoted, self centered and definitely self-serving. Traffic was stopped and a lot of people were inconvenienced. La de da!

Our country was also built on a foundation of tolerance for other cultures.

No. Our country was NOT founded on tolerance of other cultures. In the beginning Canada stood for the absolute obliteration of native cultures, as well as the suppression of the French. During both world wars, but especially WWII, our governments actively participated in and abetted racial intolerance. Tolerance only became our motto after the second world war when as a society we finally became sick of all the senseless killing and destruction.

Sadly, in 2009, there are still a majority that believe might is right. Still a majority that believe problems in other parts of the world aren't our problems. This kind of thinking leads directly to the past and a repeat of the 20th century. The Tamil Tigers ARE a terrorist group in that they operate using terrorist tactics, such as suicide bombings. But that in no way leads to the conclusion that Tamils are terrorists, or that Tamils that protest in our cities to incite our governments to react to a perceived genocide back home, are themselves terrorists, or connected to terrorists.

They are you and me. They are every man/woman with a conscience. They are hurting and they need to be heard. And Canada as a member of the United Nations needs to make our voices heard, needs to lobby hard and strong for UN intervention. Like Martin Luther King Jr said "an injustice against one man is an injustice against all men".

We don't live in an isolationist bubble. Its far past the time when one needs to stand for the rights of all. Basic rights, like the right to live.
 father3
Msg: 44 (view)

how is the universe expanding?
Posted: 5/4/2009 12:03:51 PM

Gravity is in fact the weakest fundamental force in universe.

Don't be too sure about that. If the Apollo astronauts had left a magnet on the moon, there is no way you could build a magnet here to attract that magnet back home. Yet, the earth holds the moon in orbit over that distance. Sounds like in this case gravity is far stronger than magnetism.
 father3
Msg: 43 (view)

how is the universe expanding?
Posted: 5/4/2009 11:58:41 AM

the universe is expanding. And it's not just the material in the universe, it's spacetime as well. That's an observed and observable fact.

Sorry, the theory that spacetime is expanding is just a theory, there is no proof, nor is it considered fact. All we know is that the further away we can see, objects are accelerating. At the 'hubble limit' we no longer can observe anything. Some say its because the expansion past this point is faster than the speed of light, and therefore light beyond this limit cannot reach us.

To make this congruent with relativity, where light speed is the ultimate speed, some theorize that spacetime itself is expanding rather than any objects moving faster than the speed of light.

Just theory. No one knows.
 father3
Msg: 45 (view)

Do you remember yourself before 1 year old?
Posted: 5/4/2009 11:47:25 AM

Thousands of very bright colors, brighter than anything I can see now.

I remember too the colours. So bright and vivid. It makes me think now that there was a day colour appeared for the first time. I used to stare at things intensely, just enjoying the colours.

When I was 30 I went for a walk with my wife in an old neighbourhood that my father and mother grew up in. I lived there until just after my first birthday, but had never been back. As we were walking, turning corners etc I told her what would be around the corner, and I was right every time!!

I talked to my mother about this and she told me when I was a baby she took me for walks on those streets in my carriage. I wasn't even one years old yet.

There are lots of things I can remember from when I was very little, but I can't date them or know how old I was, until the age of three, then I can date them.

I vividly remember my first day of school when I was 5. I even remember who was in my class, and I remember tons of things that happened that year.

I have always heard that most people can remember back until 3 years old, that somehow the mind doesn't store aything before that. I think they are wrong. Just like the myth we don't dream in colour. I dream in technicolour all the time.
 father3

Question about wire gague........is bigger better?
Posted: 4/30/2009 1:12:05 PM

All else being equal, two wires of same quality and length, but different gauge will have the same resistance.

Absolute bunk!! Wire gauge is integral to resistance and vice versa. Just because you can pass a trickle currnt through both wires and read practically zero ohms for each doesn't mean they are of the same resistance. The ohmmeter isn't really reading resistance - ie - the metermovement - its reading the trickle current.

Only difference is the smaller wire can't carry the same amount of amperage as the larger gauge can.

The reason the smaller wire made of the same material can't carry as high a current without melting IS because of its resistance, nothing else. A single strand of -273 degree Kelvin superconductor can carry a theoretically infinite current. Theoretically only because -273K has never been reached.
 father3
Msg: 7 (view)

the singularity
Posted: 4/30/2009 12:56:28 PM

I saw a documentary recently that touched on that very thing.

Almost all threads started here are because someone just watched a documentary.

Things like space travel are limited to our current propulsion methods.

Its amazing how many people forget this when they talk about humans settling other planets when the resources here become scarce. It takes over 10 000 times the weight in fuel to propel one man free of earth's gravity.

Perhaps we are looking at things the wrong way

You'll look at it how you're told to look at it. Right now you have that luxury. Soon enough, you, or the next generations, will be forced to look at it differently.

I can't see any changes happening in my lifetime.

You don't think what we are experiencing right now is as world shattering as it gets? Millions of people have had their livelihoods, their pensions stolen by the elite. How long before your dog goes missing while some family down the street feasts out on it? Then what?

Technology won't solve this calamity. Another war perhaps ten times as damaging as WWII will be needed. Stayed tuned for the excuse.

I'm not kidding.
 father3
Msg: 13 (view)

The WHY of Gravitation.
Posted: 4/28/2009 1:26:38 AM

Gravity isn't really a force like Electromagnetism is a force.

Well. Yes it is. And. No it isn't. Magnets do distort space/time. It's just a far more local effect than gravity - and as far as we know - gravity isn't polarized.

Space bends around bodies with respect to their mass, like a ball on a rubber sheet

I've always disliked this explanation of gravity, because in order for the ball to distort the rubber sheet, it needs gravity to pull the ball down. Kind of like explaining gravity by assuming gravity is understood.

There are two simpler explanations for earth's gravity.

1. The earth sucks.
2. The earth is expanding at a rate of 9.8m/s^2
 father3

Sustainable living in modern society
Posted: 4/22/2009 11:47:57 AM

the question I have is, do you believe our modern society is capable of going to a more sustainable mode of living.

For a modern society as we know it the answer is, no. The present world population is somewhere around 6.77 billion people. We cannot continue the way we are in any sustainable manner. If the population were to be culled to less than 300 million, then I'd think the answer is, yes. Since over half the world's population is under the age of 25, the only serious way to cull the population would be to impose strict reproductive limits on everyone. In a mere two to three generations we can get the population down below 300 million.

Would this be a society we recognize? No. Could you then drink water straight from the Potomac or the Yangzee River? Most likely in a couple hundred years or so.

Resources are finite.

In the sense that the universe is finite, then yes, resources are finite. But in a real time sense, resources are nowhere near being finite as long as the sun shines and trees still grow. What I think you mean is oil resources as our main means of procurring energy, is finite. We already have the technology to turn grass into methanol. It's just not feasible to supply and sustain 7 billion people's energy needs this way.

We only use fossil fuels now because they are abundant and almost free. In some distant future man will have to get his energy from the sun using available technologies of the time rather than waiting the millions of years it takes to make fossil fuels.

a small-minded minority will resist any and all attempts to ameliorate the situation.

"Bush's Inner Circle"
 father3

Living at home with your folks
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:47:33 AM
Besides this thread being done to death, and recently, the only reason I wouldn't live with my parents again is because I've heard they walk around the house nude all the time.
 father3
Msg: 4 (view)

Bromance...lol
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:41:41 AM
There are tons of events listed for Toronto every week. There is no need to prowl alone when you can join in on anything you like here at Plentyoffish. Just go to the Ontario Forums and click the red link for Ontario Singles Events. You'll see what I mean. Good Luck!!
 father3
Msg: 13 (view)

Billy Bob Thornton insults Canadians on CBC radio show
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:14:16 PM

If you care about this - it makes you wonder what things bother you in 'real life'?! Who really cares when some jerk makes an off the cuff remark?!?! These are the little things that make no difference in ones daily life!

You're right you know. No sense getting one's knickers in a knot over what Billy Bob said. Still though, the way some Americans treat us with condescension sometimes the response is like a reflex. It hits you before you have a chance to brace for it. Truth is, I like mashed potatoes without gravy. So no offense was taken here.

Now if he had've said "Canadians are like an Atomic Bomb with no Hiroshima . . . well THEN I'd have to take offense.
 father3
Msg: 70 (view)

Ridiculous, Idiotic Religion threads in Science/Philosophy -WHY
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:22:36 PM
I've read a lot of these pages on this topic, but certainly not all of them. It doesn't take very much reading to realize it's turned into just another thread of 'Faith vs Science'. The title was something I had been thinking of myself, but thought it not really worthwhile r necessary to complain in this way. Afterall, most thread 'titles' pretty well let you know whether the subject is something you'd want to discuss, and thus completely avoidable. For the titles that trick you into entering, it's equally as easy to exit once you've read the first post from the Original Post.

I too remember that not too long ago there was a specific forum here at plentyoffish (religion/supernatural) for people of faith to congregate. I for one never went in that forum, never posted there, and for sure I never felt a need to enlighten anyone in there with faith in God etc. It's all about Live And Let Live.

For whatever reason, that forum was taken down. I suspect, like the 'politics' forum it was taken away because too man users abused the posting rules by incessantly arguing the same thing over and over again ad nauseum. I suspect things got ugly with name calling and character assassinations. I also suspect that this science/philosophy forum is on it's way out as well with the same pattern of arguing incessantly, personal attacks, and general bigotry.

That would be a shame, because I also strongly suspect that some people's agenda is to have this forum taken down along with the others that have disappeared.

It's a Singles site. It's a Dating site. It's FREE and it can be a lot of FUN. There are Events, hosted by ordinary every day users of Plentyoffish, every week of every month in almost all areas where for FREE you can go out and meet people, prospective partners, and prospective friends.

My FREE, unsolicited advice, is take advantage of the positive things this site offers for FREE and don't sweat that someone else believes in things they have no evidence for. And don't sweat that some people require 100% proof for just about everything.

Would that someone start a thread "Science vs Faith" and all other threads on this topic be eliminated, erased, sent to the 'off topic' forum.

Since the science/philosophy forum still exists, my guess is it's not too late to save it.
 father3
Msg: 6 (view)

Is time a force
Posted: 4/6/2009 11:58:09 AM

No, time is not a force.

I don't know about that. If time isn't what is pushing me into the future, wouldn't I stay in the past? If I am moving forward through time, I would think there is some force behind the motion. Unless of course my inertial motion is causing me to travel through time much like when I shut off my rocket engines I continue to move through space due to inertia.

Someone else said that time is a byproduct of mass/energy. I am not sure about this either, but isn't that like the cart pushing the horse? In physics aren't mass/energy byproducts of a space/time continuum.?

Also someone mentioned there being no corresponding particle associated the with mass/gravity entanglement. Although not yet observed, there is lots of evidence for the existance of a gravitron. Certainly we can put this discussion on hold until at least the higgs boson is observed maybe sometime later this year or 2010, if at all.

Cecil and Beanie were great!! "Hold on there Beanie Boy!!" In retrospect, had I understood "Rocky and Bullwinkle" better at such a young age that would stand as the best of that era. Anyone for a Fractured Fairy Tale?
 father3
Msg: 11 (view)

A Geek God is born!
Posted: 4/5/2009 4:09:31 PM
II ttrriieedd ttoo mmaakkee sseennssee ooff iitt bbuutt eevveerryytthhiinngg ccoommeess oouutt bblluurry!!
 father3

why, why,why.why
Posted: 4/5/2009 1:11:17 AM

Why, Why, Why...

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are almost dead?

And why do people waiting for an elevator press an already lit button - repeatedly?
Can it become more lit? Does it make the elevator come quicker? If so, don't you think the people that eventually get off the elevator would be all scared sh*tless by all those sudden accelerations that you caused?

Why, when you join an exercise gym, do they tell you to wear loose fitting clothing? If your clothes were losse fitting you wouldn't be joining.

Why do they call it a stepladder? Do they really think it will ever replace your biological ladder?
 father3

What's your drive for life ?
Posted: 4/5/2009 1:02:23 AM

What's your drive for life ?

My drive for life is life itself, nothing else. The wanting of "to be". As far as I know, there is no other alternative.
 father3
Msg: 8 (view)

The ethics of insurance
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:56:53 AM

The ethical dilemma comes in the necessity of rooting against your own best interests.

I have life insurance that will help look after my minor children in the event something bad happens to me. It's my policy, I took it out and I pay the premiums. In no way am I hoping something bad happens to me so it will pay out.

Also, when I drive my car I want assurance that should you or someone else cause me morbid harm you are able to compensate me for my loss. Moral conundrum hogwash! It would be immoral for someone to drive without auto insurance.
 father3
Msg: 18 (view)

Try this...
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:41:38 AM
That is not relevant to the message at all and it is an Ad hominem. Logical fallacy
In fact, I think the use of cartoons strengthened the message since using real people may have detracted from it.

Computer desk - $400.00
Computer desk chair - $150.00
Computer - $950.00
Internet Connection Fee - $45.00/month
The Above Quoted Response - PRICELESS !!

Just for the record - and perhaps austerity - an Ad Hominem (attack) is an attack on the messenger by calling them names, or making character judgements against them, detracting from the subject/debate/discussion at hand..
A logical fallacy is presumptious logic based on a false premise.

I meant no harm. As Vancer noted, it was made in jest to show that some people will argue anything--even the content of that video.

Peace.

Didn't you ever see the show, "Herman's Head" ?

My total response to the question you posed me is, No.

So, all I am asking the athiest for is proof. That is something the the athiest refuses, or is unable to provide.

Here is my proof that at least one person that watched the video didn't understand it, or believe it.
 father3

Do you REALLY owe the national debt?
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:28:15 AM

Everyone assumes that they owe the money that government borrows, but do they?

Oh please. All the United States of America has to do is do what Germany did pre- WWII. De-value the dollar causing hyperinflation. Then after a few years re-issue the dollar at a billion or a trillion to one ratio. $10,000 re-issued at a billion to one will pay off ten trillion dollars. Presto, instant debt retirement.

In all honesty, does anyone really believe their share of the debt is $40, 000 ?
 father3
Msg: 14 (view)

Try this...
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:06:02 AM
I watched the video. I was taken aback that they couldn't get real actors but had to use cartoon characters. Also, the part where the guy's head opens up would have killed a real actor. You can't make movies using cartoons that can do things real people can't do and hope to be taken seriously. If this were the case, then to pass someone on the freeway all I need do is drive along the wall - just like Fred Flintstone did in one episode.

Seriously folks, there are two 'camps'. The open minded and the close minded. The video was well done and expressed exactly how I feel about reality in more eloquent terms than I have been able to do so far. I am what a theist would call an ATHEIST. I wouldn't call myself that because then I am a whole lot of other A**ISTS. I could be an analienist, an ahomeopath, an Arepublican etc etc.

The reptilian part of the brain/mind that Freud described as the ID that has a distaste for tension and an affinity for pleasure probably has greater control of the close minded camp. Afterall, ignorance is bliss!!
 father3
Msg: 8 (view)

What if our egos died?
Posted: 4/1/2009 10:33:20 AM

Egos are quite the opposite of having a sense of self the 'I'
Ego is destructive pride that inhibits---------------the ability to be in touch
with the "I"......
The opposite of ego-pride is humility------------------------------------------
to be h u m b l e-----------------------------
You couldn't be more wrong. Ego is not synonymous with pride. The 'ego' is what sees the world, decifers the world, interacts with the world outside of the mind - in response to tension felt by the 'id'. The 'superego' is the part of mind that makes the judgement calls, decides whats right or wrong, or harmful- ie somewhat of a conscience.

This is more along the lines of what an ego is;

The ego is best if just used as it was intended for,survival of the body.

eg. the ID feels hunger, the EGO identifies food, the SUPEREGO decides if its okay to take that food.

Somewhere along the lines of interpretation the EGO got the rap as being someone's 'pride' or 'self righteousness' etc etc. It simply is the part of mind that can look beyond mind to the world.
 father3

Morality and Faith
Posted: 3/22/2009 10:37:44 PM

Before you can claim that consciousness arises "in a different plane", you must prove that there is such a thing as "a different plane".

If you watch footage from 9/11, you can clearly see "a different plane" strikes the second tower than the first tower.

I couldn'r resist.
 father3
Msg: 26 (view)

Why Decimal? / Denary?
Posted: 3/22/2009 9:12:20 PM
twelve months per year would relate to the number of lunar cycles,

I don't think so. September is the tenth month but has the 'sept' prefix. Same for October, November and December. Seems to me someone slipped two extra 'months' in there at some point. Maybe the Caesars ?

The 360 days in a year would work well into that hypothesis: 30 days times 12 months.

Even ancient man could count better than that, I think. If you count days in a lunar cycle you quickly (within a year) find that a lunar cycle is 29 1/2 days. Its not like figuring out there are more than 365 days in a year, which takes a few centuries to realize something is amiss.

It's an interesting question that of the hows and whys of time. Definitely the day is the standard unit of which the fractions of a day are derived. What is more interesting is the length of one second. To us it is perceived differently than to say a housefly, which must experience the passage of time much slower than we do to be able to make all those split second maneouvers and course changes. Conversely, to a sloth, we are the housefly!!
 father3

Did use of psychadelic drugs spark long-term benefits to your mind, thinking and logic?
Posted: 3/20/2009 1:31:04 PM

Do any of you who've used a drug like I mentioned feel it helped expand your mind in a way that's been beneficial throughout your life? Or maybe I was just always this curious, analytical-type person?

News Alert: Humans by nature are curious and analytical. It's not a 'type', its our condition. And sorry about the psychaedelic drug use. You can't take a pill to acquire knowledge or insight. You can, however, take a pill to lower your inhibitions, and perhaps by lowering inhibitions one can question axioms. Especially the ones our parents passed down to us. Like "don't do drugs".

I have mentally been places that have later been proved by science, which I would find myself in awe that I actually knew this prior... Didn't read these things, nor did I hear anything about it...

Wow!! That's amazing!! Which scientific discoveries have you not laid claim to, but by all reasonable standards of "mental travelling", should be credited with?

I have a very natural ability in the medical field, and have an innate ability to know how the body functions and what can be broken...

I'm not sure whether you're saying you're a naturopath, or you work for the mafia.

My knee was hurting... However not like it belonged to me...

What? Your knee hurt, I get that. What do you mean when you follow it with "However not like it belonged to me... " ?

I could be accused of NEW AGE, BAHHHHH it is totally old age intuition nothing more... I have just learned how to open my mind in a way as to perceive things that others haven't learned how to do...

You do realize on some level that if you learn something, it's not really intution, don't you?

I use cannabis for pain med, not often, because the relief I have gotten has finally gotten me to a point of not having constant pain... I have tripped on that stuff and went places I don't really understand... It can be a powerful drug for some people, especially chronic...

Seriously. I don't know the exact numbers, but a high percentage of marijuana smokers 'mellow out' on the stuff, and a smaller percentage 'trip' on the stuff. I'm one of the 'trippers'. Everyone else would mellow out and I be extremely paranoid and anxious. I suspect it has more to do with differing brain chemistries than anything else.
 father3
Msg: 14 (view)

Why Decimal? / Denary?
Posted: 3/18/2009 3:03:06 PM

Stones are still alive and well. We use them in the UK. America is the odd county out, because most countries in the world either use stones and pounds, or kilogrammes

Oh you Brits lumping all us colonials together. Even before we converted to metric, we didn't use stones, at least not here in Toronto Canada.

All the old imperial measurements were based on easily known measurements. An inch is the length of a thumb. A foot is the length of a foot. Each measurement was designed for people who didn't have all sorts of measuring equipment, and it worked very, very well.

Maybe easier because everyone can relate to similar things like feet and thumbs (by the way, in Canada we seem to have evolved thumbs that are at least three inches long) heh, did you mean width of the thumb? But certainly not easier when it comes to adding/subtracting or multiplying. And all the different rules!! Sixteen ounces in a pound, 12 in a dozen, 14 lbs in a stone, 3 feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile etc etc etc. And what about things like an acre? For me, I know it is roughly a 200 foot square, but where does that come from?

A stone is 14 pounds.

I actually like this one. Instead of 100 kilograms, or 220 lbs, I'm a mere 15 stones and a bit. :P
 father3
Msg: 7 (view)

Sexual Reproduction - Probably the Cause of the Greatest Human Unhappiness.
Posted: 3/18/2009 2:04:21 PM

There are thousands of internet dating clubs who thrive on the human need for a sexual partner. Most of the members will never find one. The divorce lawyers have had a field day for years. Films and books since time immemorial have featured the 'battle of the sexes' with its concomitant misery.

I think you make the mistake of equating an intimate relationship with sexual gratification. There is far more to intimacy than sex. And without polling, I'd guess that the vast majority of individuals that join internet dating sites crave intimacy, not so much just the sex part.

If one was to take my inferred perception of your perception of intimacy, then one would have to believe that science has advanced far enough now that women really do not need men to procreate. Once they control the technology, men will be redundant and most likely they will do away with us.
 father3
Msg: 10 (view)

Question about wire gague........is bigger better?
Posted: 3/18/2009 1:49:16 PM
To answer your first post, yes wire guage makes a difference. As already stated the heavier the guage of wire the less losses ie voltage drops across the wire and I^2R losses through the wire. What also makes a difference is the type of wire used, copper or aluminum, stranded or solid, and the connecting ends, whether soldered or crimped. I only mention this because you mentioned it was made in China.
Other then 12v 14 Ah and there are 4 in the box in series to make 48V total.
The motor it's self is 500W

At full tilt the motor should draw somewhere around 10 amps. The wires installed can handle this amperage, but like anything, cheaper isn't better because of what I've mentioned earlier. The wires should be #12 or #10 stranded copper with silver soldered connectors. Anything less will heat and cool and break down over time. You also should know what the charging current is. Typically, if it takes a long time to recharge the batteries, the charge current is low, but some batteries can be charged quickly, and this too will draw a significant current through those wires.

I had four 100 watt solar panels charging four 6 volt batteries in series by day, and discharging at night through an inverter. I can't tell you all the problems I had with the inter-battery connections. Eventually I upgraded the wires and connections and all my problems went away.
 father3

No smoking law - interesting loophole
Posted: 3/18/2009 1:26:40 PM

As far as fast food, alcohol, etc., that's totally different. It's food and beverage, not something airborne and potentially fatal to others while being consumed.
Surely you jest. What about second hand fast food breath? Or second hand fast food dumpster diving?
Casinos are sacred ground - easy cash for gov't.... lol.
Exactly!! You can't build on sacred burial grounds, not even a golf course, but you can erect a casino. I read or heard somewhere that the biggest cash cow for the Government of Ontario in terms of gambling revenue comes from those video lottery terminals.
especially if you vote Liberal (Federal and Provincial) - they love taxing people.
What's the alternative though?
 father3
Msg: 9 (view)

Why Decimal? / Denary?
Posted: 3/17/2009 9:26:16 PM
Definitely the decimal system came about because of the ten digits on our hands, but this was used long before England came along with it's Imperial System. An ounce weight is equal to an ounce volume when you use water. Same as the metric system, 1 millilitre of water weighs 1 gram.

I like the imperial system for things that are smaller scale I want to visualize like height, weight, quart, pint, dozen.... For distances and more complex maths, I like the metric system because it just feels easier to work with for me. It's probably all just personal preference rather than any superiority of either though.

Quick, how many inches in a mile? How many centimeters in a kilometer? For me, SI units are far superior to imperial units in simplicity. When I grew up we used both sets of units in school with an emphasis on metric. But our parents used the old system exclusively.

Some old units have gone out of use, like a stone ( i believe it was 20 lbs). In French, the number for 80 is actually pronounced 4x20, in English that used to be called 4 score, with of course a score being 20.
 father3

Just Curious about the Moon.
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:12:36 AM

Unlike us or any other planet that rotates to give us day/night.

Surely you realize the moon rotates on it's axis once every 29.5 days? When you see a half moon, or cresent moon, the dark portion is in 'night' while the light portion extends around to what we call 'the dark side of the moon'.

To show yourself experimentally how the moon orbits the earth and we see only one side, take your fist and have it face your eyes and now move your fist 'revolve' around your head. In order to see the same side of your fist you have to rotate it.

If you've done that, try rotating your right foot in a clockwise direction and 'draw' the number 6 - starting at the top of the 6- in the air with your right hand. You'll find you can't do both. Unrelated I know, but still fun to try.
 father3
Msg: 17 (view)

Africa vs Asia
Posted: 3/14/2009 2:49:46 AM
One word. Optics.

Was watching NIGHTLINE on ABC and they were doing a piece on Africa and it made me wonder. For decades now we have seen pieces on African hunger, genocide, wars etc. Year after year, decade after decade the same stories, no change.
The same is true of both China and India. What small percentage of their populations do you imagine are benefitting from modernization?
Yet, since the 80's we have seen India and China in Asia, flourish.
In the slenderiest most thin meaning of the word 'flourish'. The 'middleclass' of India, for example, numbers in the hundreds of thousands in a nation of roughly one billion.
And it doesn't look like much will change in the next twenty years. Why?
Twenty years is but a 'blip' in human civilization time.

China and India are today's benefactors of western consumerism. Give human rights and decent working standards in India and China a few more years to percolate to the surface and perhaps then it will be the nations of Africa's turn to provide the cheap and denegrating labour conditions required by Capitalism to produce our running shoes.
 father3
Msg: 30 (view)

Are americans ready for 1984
Posted: 3/2/2009 11:34:22 PM

I didn't have time to go into the military industrial complex that has existed since the Reagan years(and before too).
Eisenhower's famous exit speech. Originally he called it the 'Military Industrial Congressional Complex', but toned it down under advisement just before he read the speech.

It's not a well known fact, but an easily researchable one.
 father3
Msg: 20 (view)

Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 10:45:17 PM

What practical applications did Einstein's ideas give us?
Nuclear Reactors comes to mind. Of all that Einstein taught us, probably the greatest single thing was the mass/energy equivalency. An explanation of why the sun hasn't burnt out yet.
 father3

Einstein vs. Newton
Posted: 3/2/2009 10:40:51 PM

LBP - your third cousin would need to be roughly 60 years older than you, or let's say 90'ish. That's not overly plausible.
Not to mention that third cousin is a liar. No one worked on the Manhatten Project with Einstein. It was Oppenheimer!!

OT. Without Copernicus and Galileo, Newton wouldn't have gotten anywhere with gravitation. They all build on the shoulders of giants. Newton did give us that great fig sandwich thingy, Einstein didn't leave us any food.

Probably a better discussion would be who the greater inventor is, Tesla or Edison?
 father3
Msg: 31 (view)

Blame the Media..
Posted: 3/2/2009 10:22:44 PM

I saw the paperwork of an estimate just prior to the announcement of gov't insulation grants. The price was re-adjusted almost 100% once the grants were announced.

Ditto for the high efficiency furnace grants. I priced furnaces and the ones elligible for the grants more than clawback the entire grant.
 father3
Msg: 6 (view)

sudbury..aka the pothole of the north
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:22:40 AM

does you city have the pot hole that break you car..
Oh yeah. Its bad here too, in fact. . .
this city road sucks bad.. there are potholes every where causeing lots of damage to our vechiles..
In the whole of Ontario this can be traced back to Mike Harris and his "Common Sense Revolution" days. That's when the PC's downloaded ridiculous amounts of provincial responsibilities onto local municipalities making it impossible for city budgets to balance without dropping some services. Fixing potholes (as well as all infrastructure spending) is far down on the list of necessities and guaranteed to be reduced, if not dropped. There were enough warnings back then that this would happen and even "days of protest", but most people didn't heed the warnings and voted in the Conservatives anyway.
 father3
Msg: 11 (view)

Value System?
Posted: 2/22/2009 8:08:33 AM

have a love of ALL life... OK, you won't see me at a rally against the death penalty, because that is just something I haven't made a real hard informed opinion of..
An aside to the main topic, but this can be seen as a value as well. I know that I couldn't be the executioner. I think to take a life, even if legal and justifiable, would change me in a way I wouldn't want to change. I therefore cannot be for a death penalty because I couldn't ask another to carry out that sentence while being unwilling to do it myself.
 father3
Msg: 20 (view)

Should schools ban nuts?
Posted: 2/19/2009 9:22:26 PM

I think it is pretty strange to force an entire school to adopt a 'nut-free' policy for one...two...however how many kids might have allergies.
We had the same sort of problem here when my kids were in middle school. It wasn't about kids with special needs because of an allergy, it was about some kids (very few I might add) who just weren't in the kind of physical shape as most of the others and weren't able to run fast enough when some school yard dispute erupted into gunfire! Because one slow kid took a bullet through the heart all the rest of the kids in the school weren't allowed to bring loaded handguns to school anymore. Some of the bleeding heart liberal "special interest group" parents got together and threatened to keep their kids out of school until the school board was forced to implement an anti-handgun rule. It just didn't seem fair that the genetically inferior minority got their way over the majority.
 father3

Creationism in schools
Posted: 2/18/2009 11:24:53 PM

Of course I am a Creationist, and I think that some clearing up must be made regarding the terminology before any reasonable debate can be attemted. First of all by definition a "religion" is a BELIEF SYSTEM. It is not something that can be easily proven one way or another. Secondly "Science" in the strictest sense means "to study" and embraces the idea of theories (ideas about how things could have happened but are not yet proven one way or the other) . Also the study of science relies on certain time proven tools:
The definition of religion isn't BELIEF SYSTEM, and science in the strictest sense is not "to study". It has become the practice of Creationists to alter the meaning of words in order to compress their faith into the realm of science. This post clears nothing up and doesn't even remotely come close to clearing the way for reasonable debate.
We have this THEORY --Darwinist Evolution-- of which NO PROOF whatsoever has EVER been found-- no fossils, no genetics, no nothing. To BELIEVE it requires FAITH that it is correct, it CANNOT be proven, or at least had not yet. So I ask you how is that "Science"? Secondly the idea and the bringing forth proof that what has been passed off as "scientific facts" in the past has been wrong--
Creationists can say this billions of times over and it doesn't become any closer to being a true statement. Evolution is not an unproven theory, it is cold hard fact.
But what you believe and CANNOT PROVE by hard scientific evidence is to me a RELIGION
And that pretty well sums up the entire pseudo-argument presented. The author redefines what religion is, then goes on to show that a science falls into this definition.

Science is no longer threatened by religion, at least not in our western democracies. Why is it that Creationists are so threatened by science? No where in science does it say that you can't have faith. If you feel the presence of an unsubstantiated entity, who in their right mind could argue that?

Show ALL Forums