Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Mayfield Bar is done
 tick tock
Msg: 9 (view)

Mayfield Bar is done
Posted: 3/3/2013 4:41:22 PM
They're all going to Krush Ultralounge which is across the street from the Mayfield. I heard they've even brought over the same DJ that used to mix at The Gallery Bar. Krush is a much nicer venue than the old Gallery Bar at the Mayfield but there was something to be said about that place.
 tick tock
Msg: 12 (view)

MEET and DANCE NORTH VAN MOSQUITO CREEK NOV 13th 7pm
Posted: 11/13/2010 6:38:15 PM
Anyone passing through downtown on their way to this event? I would love to get a ride since my car is in for repairs. Thanks in advance!

tick tock
Msg: 2096 (view)

Glad to be an Oil fan ....
Posted: 4/13/2010 10:25:17 AM
Yeah, the Oilers management is something to behold. Here's another article about Souray's request that focuses on Tambellini a bit more:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/myoilers/2010/04/12/13557406.html

We are quickly becoming the laughing stocks of NHL franchise. Oh wait...too late

tick tock
Msg: 2093 (view)

Who to root for?
Posted: 4/11/2010 12:21:00 PM
Don't know which team to cheer for in these playoffs. Like all the uber-talented teams like Pittsburgh, Washington and especially the Blackhawks. I'm actually more pumped about the draft, though. I'll be watching that one for sure while in my recliner with chips and beer.

http://community.foxsports.com/spector/blog/2010/04/06/what_next_for_the_edmonton_oilers_

PS. Great goal by the sisters last night. Talk about rubbing salt on the wounds. I like the way our season ended compared to theirs. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZjaRP6li4&feature=player_embedded
 tick tock
Msg: 1931 (view)

Go Calgary Flames
Posted: 4/10/2010 10:14:34 AM
Yup, where's Smackemhard? He's gonna have to change his signature to:

In Sutter We Bust
 tick tock
Msg: 2089 (view)

It's about time!
Posted: 2/24/2010 11:44:13 PM
^ Well, if that's the case, then I'd be willing to pay half our team to do the same thing.

tick tock
Msg: 2082 (view)

It's about time!
Posted: 2/4/2010 11:57:42 AM
That bad, eh? I just looked at the boxscore and saw that they won it with 17 seconds left in the game. Looks like it must have been a real snoozer. Sad. I dunno, I've already lost any pride so I'm just looking forward to the pick. Lol

Was it that apparent they were trying to throw the game?
 tick tock
Msg: 2080 (view)

It's about time!
Posted: 2/4/2010 11:29:39 AM
Didn't watch the game, but when I saw the score I thought what the hell are they doing winning games now?! It's pissing me off. Keep your eyes on the ball, Oiler! This season now only serves one purpose and they better not blow it like they did a few years ago like when they won that meaningless game against the Flames at the end of that season and blew their shot at, I think, Toews.
 tick tock
Msg: 1387 (view)

Why are older women not into younger guys???
Posted: 1/27/2010 12:47:39 AM
^ Sadly, this has been the most honest comment yet.
 tick tock
Msg: 2069 (view)

It's about time!
Posted: 1/25/2010 9:40:06 PM
I guess everyone wants to flee like proverbial rats from a sinking ship. I just wish they wouldn't BS us and say it like it really is. Anyway, nice to see the two worst records over the last 10 games belong to both Alberta teams. Welcome to the club, Cowtown.
 tick tock
Msg: 7668 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/25/2010 10:41:54 AM
So Cormier gets suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs but could theoretically jump leagues and play in any league not sanctioned by Hockey Canada like the AHL. And he has the backing of a team that specialized in headshots, the NJ Devils. Hmmm...what a joke.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Cormier-suspended-for-season-playoffs-does-it-?urn=nhl,215514
 tick tock
Msg: 2065 (view)

It's about time!
Posted: 1/24/2010 11:18:00 PM
Yeah RBG, I remember that year well. And I think Kelly Hrudey predicted that the Oilers would be the highest scoring team the following season and was he ever dead wrong. Anyway, I'm glad to see the Oilers have clinched last spot. I was quite disappointed with their single point the other day because I wanted to see a perfect 0-10-0 record.
 tick tock
Msg: 2062 (view)

It's about time!
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:05:38 PM
Looks like they're ready to blow the team up and rebuild. Everybody is on the trading block. Well, many of the names we've come to recognize are:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/myoilers/2010/01/24/12592566-sun.html

"Three league executives confirmed Tambellini has made it known he is willing to deal Shawn Horcoff, Robert Nilsson, Ethan Moreau, Steve Staios, Sheldon Souray and Lubomir Visnovsky. There is a bit of an obstacle in the way of dealing any of them, though. Their contracts make it tough to find a taker. "

Looks like we're keeping Hemmer and the Pisser, though.
 tick tock
Msg: 2059 (view)

Who woulda thought.......
Posted: 1/18/2010 9:35:02 PM
What a week for the Alberta teams! Shutout 6-0 tonight, which is no surprise for us. The only solace we have is the fans weren't chanting "WE WANT 10!!" like they were in San Jose tonight. Oh well, I'm in Edmonton for the next week and a half, so I'll still catch an Oilers game at Rexall or watch it at Hudsons. Anyone wanna meet up for a game? Probably not
 tick tock
Msg: 2058 (view)

Posted: 1/16/2010 4:57:46 PM
I can't seem to recall the Oilers ever having such a bad season or stretch. It's theoretically possible that we go 0-10-0. Actually, it looks to be very likely. Now if only Carolina would start winning games. Anyway, the season is officially over since the Oilers would have to win 30 of their remaining 35 games to clinch the last spot. Not gonna happen.
 tick tock
Msg: 2055 (view)

Posted: 1/9/2010 5:40:52 AM
Ha! Only a retard would say "seemingly overpriced" No offence. Even diehard Flames fans have admitted that the restaurant was gouging.

tick tock
Msg: 2052 (view)

Posted: 1/8/2010 10:56:47 AM
Confucius Say if all fruit rotten you no throw out basket. Throw out fruit.

tick tock
Msg: 2046 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2010 1:59:41 PM
True that! Actually, I have been reading a few sites (calgarypuck.com, sports illustrated and a few others) and it's amazing how much dirt about this particular restaurant came to light as a result of his ploy. Quite a few people have claimed they had a similar experience at that restaurant - ie. being overcharged or extras tacked on to the bill. One person claimed that the Flames had an incident at the restaurant, but suprisingly, there wasn't much press about it. Also, many didn't know just how expensive the restaurant was but now they do and they'll obviously avoid it like the plague. Hmmm...methinks this kind of publicity may have backfired on them.
 tick tock
Msg: 2042 (view)

Posted: 1/3/2010 3:57:56 AM
I wholeheartedly disagree. They might as well stick to what they do well and hockey isn't it.

PS. I can't believe this stupid restaurant story made Sports Illustrated, but at least they're being pretty fair in their coverage. And the comments made from all over N. America seem to be swaying in the Oilers favour.
 tick tock
Msg: 2040 (view)

Posted: 1/2/2010 1:59:00 PM
I read the article at calgarysun.com, duff, and then I read the comments below. Surprisingly, for a Calgary paper, they were pretty divided about the whole affair. Many accused that particular establishment of gouging other customers in the past. Sounds like they might have a reputation for doing so and thought that they could gouge a NHL team on New Year's Eve and get away with it. One thing is for sure: not only is this bad press for the Oilers, but the restaurant has also tarnished its own reputation by being very unprofessional its own conduct. One of the most important things taught in any type of professional sales (which applies to any business really) is you never badmouth your competitors or your clients because it always reflects badly on you and your organization. At any rate, if they agreed to an adjusted bill and it was paid with what looks like roughly a 20% tip, then what was the need to go to the media and, even worse, name names? Publicity perhaps?
 tick tock
Msg: 2034 (view)

Posted: 1/1/2010 7:37:28 PM
Those reports came from Calgary reporters, but here is one from 630 CHED in Edmonton:

The Oilers claim a Calgary restaurant trying to gain publicity from the team

4:40pm
Click here to email Tim Calder
1/1/2010

According to the Edmonton Oilers, the owner of a Calgary restaurant is trying to use them as a publicity tool.

After last night's game in Calgary, the entire Oilers team went out for a pre-planned meal with their wives and girlfriends at the upscale, downtown eatery Osteria De Medici.

At the end of the night the players were presented with a bill for close to $19,000, a figure that struck them as being grossly inflated for what they consumed over their roughly 90 minute stay. The players, while still waiting at the restaurant, asked for the bill to be re-calculated at which point they were presented with a revised cheque for $12,381. The team paid for the bill with a credit card, and left.

The owner of the restaurant called Calgary media this morning, claiming that the players refused to pay the bill until they were threatened with a phone call to the police. Oilers officials call the story "ridiculous".(dt/tc)
 tick tock
Msg: 2030 (view)

Posted: 12/24/2009 5:45:35 PM
Thanks, RBG. Yeah, I'm taking my nephew to the game, so it should be fun...umm...or extremely disappointing. The latter scenario seem more plausible.

Funny you mention that they are incapable of learning anything new. I was listening to the game online when Rod Phillips blew a gasket and called Grebeshov "dumb" after another one of his 'screw ups' wound up in the net. Lol, I was surprised to hear him say that on the radio, but it was quite refreshing to hear someone say publicly what many of us fans have been thinking. He went on to say how many games in a row he was responsible for giving up a point and that it's like he's incapable of learning what the coaching staff is trying to teach him. I'd have to concur because I can't believe how many times I hear this guy's name in conjunction with some 'fail' or 'epic fail'.

Merry Christmas, RBG! And to everyone else in this thread! Enjoy the holidays!
 tick tock
Msg: 2028 (view)

Posted: 12/23/2009 7:23:56 AM
So true. Different coach, same results. Actually, I think they're worse off if you compare seasons. I don't think I've been more frustrated as an Oilers fan than I have been lately. The other night's game was completely demoralizing as a fan and for the players. Oh well, there's always next year.

On a positive note, Roli made some sensational saves in NY the other night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlT9wRqg8sE
 tick tock
Msg: 2026 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2009 9:42:55 AM
Yeah, gotta admit this road trip has surprised me. Last night's game was completely out of character. I mean, it would have been completely in character for the Oil to either give up or to flub it up by letting in 8 empty netters as they try to tie it up.

As for the Torres/Brule thing, Lowe did surprisingly well . And I will always miss Saint Torres for that one hit in Game 3 of the Sharks/Oilers tilt from 2006 that turned around the whole complexion of that playoff series. God bless!
 tick tock
Msg: 2018 (view)

Painful
Posted: 12/4/2009 9:05:18 AM
Yeah Duff, I honestly chalked this one up as a loss when I looked at the schedule, but the Oil doth work in mysterious ways.

Show ALL Forums > Alberta > Painful

tick tock
Msg: 2015 (view)

Sweet home (game) chicago
Posted: 11/28/2009 4:28:47 PM
Haha! Yes RBG, it's always about the big picture with me and, yes, don't things look peachy for the future. Sadly, I have tickets to the Canucks/Oilers matchup on December 26th at GM Place. Don't think they'll be much to cheer about by then. Lol (not really).

Anything you post can not be deleted.
 tick tock
Msg: 2013 (view)

Sweet home (game) chicago
Posted: 11/28/2009 2:38:25 PM
Yeah, can this season get any more depressing? Don't see much hope for us being anything more than bottom dwellers for the remainder of the season. I believe we're almost 1/3rd of the way through the season and we're sitting at 24 points. If we set the bar at 96 points for clinching the last playoff spot - as it has been for several years - then we have to win 36 of our remaining 56 games (or some combination of ties and wins that produces 72 points). According to my calculations, the Oilers have to play at .64 for the remainder of the season just to clinch that eighth spot. Highly doubtful and I'm with RBG in the belief that they'll likely tank the season and get a high draft pick. Sadly though, the recent history of the Oil seems to indicate they'll play just hard enough in February and March to lose a great draft pick but not clinch at the same time. Hockey purgartory.

Merry F'n Christmas!
 tick tock
Msg: 1945 (view)

Go Oilers Go
Posted: 10/13/2009 12:30:25 PM
All hail Stortini! He's in a 6 way tie for goal scoring on our team and has the best shooting percentage. A star is born.
 tick tock
Msg: 1926 (view)

Oilers - Looking good so far
Posted: 9/22/2009 2:31:04 PM
Well, this is a sad day. Someone let the Fox out of the zoo. Your kind words, gentle personality, and die hard spirit will be sorely missed in this thread, Val. Have fun in Cowtown and make sure you carry lots of Gravol and barf bags to combat the inevitable nausea in that Sea of Red.
 tick tock
Msg: 1762 (view)

Go Calgary Flames we are Fans
Posted: 9/18/2009 11:37:36 AM
Yeah, no doubt.

Watched the hit a couple of times and, yes, it's "legal" but was it necessary? Kid had his head down trying to poke the puck past the defender that was already covering him. Dion came across the ice and closed the gap and then *WHAM! * he launches his entire body into him. Hope the kids ok.
 tick tock
Msg: 1760 (view)

Go Calgary Flames we are Fans
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:09:20 AM
So...who pissed in Dion's Corn Flakes? Geez man, it's only September. Maybe he's still thinking about the "sloppy seconds" comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WooGFHLZoVE

tick tock
Msg: 1912 (view)

Oilers - Looking Forward
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:01:57 PM
Man, it's nice to watch hockey again - especially Oiler hockey. Watching it on NHL.com. Wonder how long they'll show free games for. Anyway, nice to see you guys are still here and let's hope this year is different.
 tick tock
Msg: 1854 (view)

Burke at it again
Posted: 6/18/2009 3:55:49 PM
"Windbag" or "blowhard" would also describe him nicely.

tick tock
Msg: 7471 (view)

Reversal of Fortune
Posted: 6/13/2009 7:35:30 PM
1) Because the shorthanded team would keep throwing pucks down the ice in hopes of hitting the empty net since they don't have to worry about getting the icing call. And yes, teams only will do this if they are trailing, but will also do it if there is just over a minute left and they get a powerplay, thereby creating a 2 man advantage. It is a high risk move which is only used when you're about to lose the game.

2) Silly question.

3) There are cheerleaders...usually to be found in the arenas of franchises with a weaker fanbase (ex. Tampa).

Here's a better question:

What happens when the keeper of the Cup has to go to the washroom?
 tick tock
Msg: 7466 (view)

Reversal of Fortune
Posted: 6/13/2009 12:27:49 PM
Yup, it was The Illuminati who wanted the Penguins to win to herald in the New World Order, so they fixed the entire playoffs. Didn't you notice the guys with the blowdarts in the crowd?

Anyway, I'm so damn happy the Penguins won! Watched it at a pub which was completely full of people cheering on the Penguins, except for 2 or 3 Wings fans. I really liked the way the Penguins played at both ends of the ice. I can't remember if they played this well defensively in the first two games, but I did really noticed their good active sticks and poke checks in this game. They also were very good at just simply chipping the puck immediately out of their own zone. They were all over their defensive assignments, blocking passing and shooting lanes, and their forechecking and cycling was great! They just weren't giving the Wings any time or space in all 3 zones.

Anyone else think that Sid the Kid may have blown his ACL?
 tick tock
Msg: 7446 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:32:09 PM
What an effort by the Penguins. Osgood stoned them for large segments of the game. They will have to put in an even better effort in Detroit as the Wings definitely will.

Anyway, I'd have to say the Conn Smythe has to go to either Malkin or Zetterberg - my apologies to Don Cherry for his impending heart attack. Malkin has been so much more focused and determined this year, whereas last year he was completely invisible in the finals. I have to admit, I'm impressed. Now if only Crosby can break out of his mini-slump for Friday.
 tick tock
Msg: 7427 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 6/5/2009 9:53:52 AM
My bad, RBG. Hard to fully comprehend what's going on in a pub when they have the music blaring and you've had a few pints in you. I'm guessing that they meant that he's approaching some of Gretzky's playoff records. This list was after Game 3, so I think he's actually at 35 points now. He just passed some pretty good players last night.

Top single-season NHL playoff scoring leaders:

47 – Wayne Gretzky, 1985
44 – Mario Lemieux, 1991
43 – Wayne Gretzky, 1988
40 – Wayne Gretzky, 1993
38 – Wayne Gretzky, 1983
35 – Wayne Gretzky, 1984
35 – Mike Bossy, 1981
34 – Joe Sakic, 1996
34 – Brian Leetch, 1994
34 – Mario Lemieux, 1992
34 – Wayne Gretzky, 1987
33 – Evgeni Malkin, 2009*

PS. And yeah, that record of 47 points it just phenomenal. I do remember thos 5 game series, but I can't remember which year they switched to the 7 game series format for the first round. Pretty sure it was in the late 80's.
 tick tock
Msg: 7422 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 6/5/2009 1:10:20 AM
Oh God, I hope you're right, RBG. To be honest, the Wings have never won a cup in an interesting fashion in quite some time. They've always managed to completely dominate the opposition when they reached the SCF. For the first time in over a decade, they are up against some stiff competition. And yes, the Wings definitely looked tired and made some uncharacteristic plays that cost them dearly. By the way, it's nice to see Fleury play a little more than mediocre goaltending and it was nice to see Staal finally wake up. Can't wait for Saturday's game!

Oh yeah, I was watching Sportscentre at a bar and I can't believe that Malkin is only 5 points behind Gretzky for the most points in a single playoff year. Damn, he just sort of snuck up on that record. Nice!
 tick tock
Msg: 7407 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 6/3/2009 6:44:48 PM
Hehe...how did this thread transition from hockey to Ted Nugent? Who can ever forget "Cat Scratch Fever"? And yes, good ol' Bob Seger. Kinda sad to see the state of affairs in Detroit nowdays. I was recently sent a real estate link where you could actually buy houses for $7,000 there. $7,000!! Probably in a crack area, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. They also listed some higher end houses in nice areas that were selling for around $100 K that were formally close to a million dollars. Man, you can't even buy a condemned grow-op in the poorest ZIP code in Vancouver (Hastings area) for that much in Vancouver.
 tick tock
Msg: 7366 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 6/1/2009 2:00:45 AM
I just wanted to say congratulations to the Wings for being the 2009 Stanley Cup champions. Enjoy it! Don't worry, the next two games are merely a formality. Congrats!
 tick tock
Msg: 7359 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/31/2009 3:28:55 AM
The shots on net were in favour of the Penguins, but not by much. The most telling stat was that the Wings were over .70 on the faceoff. Like they said, the Wings were probably as prone as they were gonna be and the Penguins just didn't take advantage. There was a moment when they pulled their goaltender and the Wings hemmed them in their own zone for at least 20-30 seconds. I couldn't believe they didn't score with all the puck possession. Anyway, that didn't bother me so much as the fact that no one flattened Zetterberg during that sequence when he carried the puck around the back of the empty net. That was a perfect opportunity and the defenceman didn't take it. Win, lose or draw, that would have set the tone for the next game and the rest of the series. Whatever. The Penguins better practice winning faceoffs and make sure they hit the Wings whenever the perfect opportunity arises otherwise they might as well hand out the hardware now.
 tick tock
Msg: 7356 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/30/2009 4:58:37 PM
Just watching CBC and it was interesting to hear Crosby's determination. They interviewed him and I guess that he kept a picture of the Wings celebrating their Stanley Cup victory and looked at it every day to motivate him during his workouts in the summer of 2008. Gotta give him credit, he definitely has a competitive streak.
 tick tock
Msg: 7335 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/26/2009 11:44:34 PM
UUUGGGGGHHHH...how come Cam Ward couldn't give up softies like that in game 7 of the 2006 SCF

tick tock
Msg: 1815 (view)

Oilers rebuilding
Posted: 5/26/2009 2:40:19 PM
Yeah, I was quite surprised by both! I like it. Reunited again, those two lovebirds. I remember when I moved to Vancouver in '95, I think it was that year or the next one that Quinn was GM and Renney the coach of the Nucks.

tick tock
Msg: 552 (view)

Why do so many people seem to hate cops?
Posted: 5/25/2009 11:27:15 PM
Great topic! I mean, what's there not to hate? Especially if you're a man! Anyway, I'm a law abiding citizen, for the most part, but the police are the physical embodiment of a system gone bad. They do the grunt work, but I despise them equally with their puppet masters - the politicians and judicial system that panders to whatever is in their own best interest, and the special interest groups that armtwist their own agenda. If you ever want to see true hatred of the 'boys in blue', check out the Rants and Raves section of Craigslist. Quite amusing!
 tick tock
Msg: 7310 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/23/2009 8:19:07 PM
I think Don Cherry was correct after the game ended. They look tired from playing back-to-back seven game series. I think you could see it in the way they played at times and how easily the Pens could gain the zone. I think it's over next game, but the extra day in between games might give them just enough energy to squeak out one victory.
 tick tock
Msg: 7307 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/23/2009 4:44:46 PM
Yeah, Havlat was in outer space, but I don't think the game misconduct was warranted. It's kind of scary when you have 10 people fighting over his helpless body. I was worried that someone was going to step on him and do some major damage. Anyway, kudos to the Wings for coming back and almost stealing that game.

Just gearing up for the Canes/Penguins game.
 tick tock
Msg: 7300 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/22/2009 10:04:19 AM
Yeah, I'm betting that he wanted that one back too. I don't think he expected it as no one did - but that's still no excuse for a goaltender. I remember watching that play unfold and thinking that he's just going to skate out further and take a shot or pass to another forward or across to the point, but he completely surprised me and the commentators judging by their reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLLHFRoVoKo
 tick tock
Msg: 7297 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/22/2009 1:19:15 AM
Haha! Might be some truth to that, RBG.
-
And Steel, I have to agree. Malkin is one of those superstars that is frustrating to watch. He has so much potential, but he needs a regular kick in the arse. Hopefully he can find a way to motivate himself for every game in the finals or they'll be bounced in four straight. Yes, the Wings are THAT GOOD! The lack of secondary scoring sealed their fate last year and Malkin was a complete no-show. I can't remember if he was injured or just completely flustered by the Wings experience, but I'm hoping for a good SCF that goes the distance. In other words, I hope the Penguins fly his parents in for the rest of the playoffs.
 tick tock
Msg: 7293 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 5/21/2009 7:32:05 PM
Wow! Malkin's third goal! Yup, it's been a quarter of a century since it last happened, but I think it's looking more and more like it will be a rematch of last year's SCF. For some reason the Pens look more dangerous this year and I was trying to remember their series from last year. I think it was in the third round where Malkin became invisible and a non-factor, and definitely in the SCF, but this year he looks very impressive.

Show ALL Forums