Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Tear drop camper
 hozo
Msg: 17 (view)

Tear drop camper
Posted: 4/18/2016 7:51:30 PM
But these tiny cars are built to haul a driver & 3 passengers, plus weight of personal gear in the storage hatch, which these combined weights far exceeds 600 lbs. If you pull a 500 lb trailer with no passengers, you carry the same, or less rolling mass.
 hozo
Msg: 15 (view)

Tear drop camper
Posted: 4/18/2016 4:36:22 AM
Hi

Yes, you may want to look into motorcycle campers/trailers as an alternative. There are many varieties....pop-up, hard side, even tiny teardrop models.

This is probably similar to what you want, & it is for sale here locally. I have been looking at it, but I really have nowhere to store the thing. It's probably a couple-hundred mile drive for you, though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/481924368636152/permalink/543314169163838/

The owner stated that it is light enough to pull behind a motorcycle.

I have a tiny import hatchback & this will work. My owners manual also states no towing, as it will void the warranty. But companies make tow bars for these cars anyway, and people tow with them, as these cars are capable of towing at least 500-600 lbs. If your car is out of warranty, then no worry.
 hozo
Msg: 102 (view)

Athletic body type and the people that have them
Posted: 3/9/2014 11:19:18 PM
Yes, that is hiking! The Appalachians are mere foothills in comparison. We gained maximum 300 metres (1000 ft) or so during a half-day hike up, then back down .

Women often call me "skinny," a term I hate. Men call me athletic

I prefer to think I am "Mick Jagger" skinny...to put a more positive spin on it LOL

My observation is you are able to wear the athletic badge here on POF, but I cannot, due mainly to gender it seems! I am predominantly thin, and that is what I am visibly tagged with, since I do not have anywhere near a mainstream football-player physique. Women and men both call me "skinny", but the funny thing is that I could slap any similarly-aged mainstream football-player physiqued athletic type, for example, then outrun them as they collapsed trying to chase me.

Being athletic and having an athletic body type are two totally different things

True....for men mostly. Not fair!!!
 hozo
Msg: 100 (view)

Posted: 3/9/2014 10:05:10 PM
I have backpack hiked in the wilderness with the best of them in the Appalachian mountains many times. I was one of the few who were not out of breath when we took breaks... although its been a few years now since I"ve hiked. People who hike around here hike on flat-pre-cleared trails and consider themselves hikers. I call that walking through the woods. LOL.

I choose to bicycle 60-80 km round trips these days. I am still considered thin and not "athletic" by anyone on here at first glance. That is all I am saying! Again perhaps it is a gender thing. If I were female I may be considered "athletic", but as a male, I am merely "thin", as defined by the majority.
 hozo
Msg: 98 (view)

Posted: 3/9/2014 8:17:17 PM

With a petite frame and small bones, I have been thin all my life.

I believe you should have selected "thin" as body type. You are no more athletic than I am according to your description, yet women do not consider my body type "athletic" at all.

I chose "thin", as it is the best description. I am in marginally overall better condition compared to someone my age that looks like a has--been, no--neck football player with bad knees, diabetes and a 42" waist , yet considers himself "athletic". Perhaps double standard according to gender??

We are not 'skinny' ot "thin'. We are normal. This is what a normal human being is supposed to look like. Half of the planet's population looks like us. The other half that doesn't look like us is somewhat overweight in my opinion.

I am the same size I was when I was high school senior. Thank goodness for that.....at my age I do myself a favour and work to maintain this form. I have none of the health issues shared by those who are chronically larger. Those would be the ones who claim "average" or better yet, "athletic".
 hozo
Msg: 30 (view)

What no deviled eggs thread?
Posted: 12/4/2013 9:08:34 PM
I sprinkle red chili or cayenne powder over them instead of the traditional paprika!

This isn;t a deviled egg recipe, but is close enough and also uses avocados

Baked Avocado with egg
Ingredients:
6Whole avocados
1 dozen Eggs
Cayenne pepper (or any spice of your choice)
Cheese (optional)

Cut the avocado in half lenghtwise. Remove the stone from the avocado. Scoop out a little more avocado to increase the size of the stone's crater. Lay the 12 avocado halves flat, flesh-up. Crack an egg into the crater. Sprinkle with Cayenne pepper (cheese too if you desire). Bake in the oven at 450 degrees until egg is cooked to the level you like. Makes 12 servings. Enjoy!!
 hozo
Msg: 213 (view)

Steubenville rape case
Posted: 12/4/2013 8:21:46 PM
I realise it has been a while, but I thought I would do a favour and give the latest update. Here locally, this case has wrapped up as of the end of November. The special Grand jury has indicted 4 more people after months of investigation. The attorney general states that the investigation is now over.

Schools Chief Among 4 Indicted In Steubenville Rape Case

by Mark Memmott

November 25, 201311:53 AM

Four adults, including the superintendent of the city's schools, have been indicted by a grand jury on charges related to the aftermath and alleged attempted coverup of a teenage girl's 2012 rape by members of the high school football team in Steubenville, Ohio.

Ohio Attorney Gen. Mike DeWine just announced that news.

The case became national news after some of the boys who were involved posted pictures of the victim and accounts of what they had done on social media. That triggered an online campaign to press local authorities to investigate and prosecute. DeWine's office took over the case.

Last March, two boys were found guilty of rape. In October, the head of technology for Steubenville City Schools was accused of tampering with evidence.

Now, WOWK-TV reports, Steubenville City Schools Superintendent Michael McVey has been "charged with tampering with evidence, obstruction of justice and falsification." Also charged: elementary school principal Lynett Gorman, for alleged failure to report child abuse; wrestling coach Seth Fluharty, for alleged failure to report child abuse; and volunteer football coach Matthew Belardine, "who faces charges allowing underage drinking, obstructing official business, falsification, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor."

Update at 12:20 p.m. ET. More Details:

DeWine's office has now posted information about the indictments.

The statement says, in part:

"Michael McVey, 50 years old, of Steubenville, has been indicted on five counts:

— One count of Tampering with Evidence, a third degree felony

— Two counts of Obstructing Justice, a fifth degree felony

— One count of Falsification, a first degree misdemeanor

— One count of Obstructing Official Business, a second degree misdemeanor

"McVey is the superintendent of Steubenville City Schools. If convicted on all counts, McVey could serve up to seven years and 270 days in prison.

"Matthew Belardine, 26, of Steubenville, has been indicted on four counts:

— Underage Persons Offenses Concerning ("beer or intoxicating liquor"), a first degree misdemeanor

— Obstructing Official Business, a second degree misdemeanor

— Falsification, a first degree misdemeanor

— Contributing to the Unruliness or Delinquency of a Child, a first degree misdemeanor

"Belardine is a former assistant high school football coach for Steubenville City Schools. If convicted on all counts, Belardine could serve up to one year and 265 days in jail.

"Seth Fluharty, 26, of Wintersville, has been indicted on one count regarding Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect, a fourth degree misdemeanor. Fluharty is an assistant wrestling coach and special education teacher for Steubenville City Schools. If convicted, Fluharty could serve up to 30 days in jail.

"Lynnett Gorman, 40, of Steubenville, has been indicted on one count regarding Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect, a fourth degree misdemeanor. Gorman is the Principal of West Elementary in Steubenville. If convicted, Gorman could serve up to 30 days in jail."
 hozo
Msg: 142 (view)

Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 9/11/2013 10:15:32 AM

Keep your head firmly in the sand. Keep desperately searching only for the data that justifies your addiction. Keep presenting Strawman fallacies about what has been presented here. Knock yourself out. Your habit is disgusting and a health hazard to others, regardless of how many lies you tell yourself or how many Big Tobacco funded studies you manage to find. Everybody with an IQ over 12 knows it.

But I don't smoke cigarettes. Your bent hatred of anything tobacco-related fuels your paranoid crusade of lies and twists.

Anybody with an IQ over 12 knows how to research facts, and not be duped by agendist scare statistics that are hijacked to further an agenda.

Much of the damage to DNA in skin cells results from ultraviolet (UV) radiation found in sunlight and in commercial tanning lamps and tanning beds. But sun exposure doesn't explain skin cancers that develop on skin not ordinarily exposed to sunlight. This indicates that other factors may contribute to your risk of skin cancer, such as being exposed to toxic substances or having a condition that weakens your immune system.

Other factors that may cause skin cancer:
Moles. People who have many moles or abnormal moles called dysplastic nevi are at increased risk of skin cancer. These abnormal moles — which look irregular and are generally larger than normal moles — are more likely than others to become cancerous. If you have a history of abnormal moles, watch them regularly for changes.

Precancerous skin lesions. Having skin lesions known as actinic keratoses can increase your risk of developing skin cancer. These precancerous skin growths typically appear as rough, scaly patches that range in color from brown to dark pink. They're most common on the face, head and hands of fair-skinned people whose skin has been sun damaged.

A family history of skin cancer. If one of your parents or a sibling has had skin cancer, you may have an increased risk of the disease.

A personal history of skin cancer. If you developed skin cancer once, you're at risk of developing it again. Even basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas that have been successfully removed can recur.

A weakened immune system. People with weakened immune systems have a greater risk of developing skin cancer. This includes people living with HIV/AIDS or leukemia and those taking immunosuppressant drugs after an organ transplant.

Exposure to radiation. People who received radiation treatment for skin conditions such as eczema and acne may have an increased risk of skin cancer, particularly basal cell carcinoma.

Exposure to certain substances. Exposure to certain substances, such as arsenic, may increase your risk of skin cancer.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-cancer/DS00190/DSECTION=risk-factors
 hozo
Msg: 140 (view)

Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 9/11/2013 9:04:47 AM

It is the CUMULATIVE effect of these 'whiffs of smoke' you marginalize that are problematic. Walking from your car to your office in the sun exposes you to skin cancer.

No it isn't, because brief sun exposure does not "expose you to skin cancer".....long term exposure causes basal cell DNA mutations. SOME of that change CAN lead to skin cancer. The key is LONG TERM....LIFETIME EXPOSURE.

Does UV radiation cause cancer?
Yes. In fact, most skin cancers are a direct result of exposure to the UV rays in sunlight. Both basal cell and squamous cell cancers (the most common types of skin cancer) tend to be found on sun-exposed parts of the body, and their occurrence is related to lifetime sun exposure. The risk of melanoma, a more serious but less common type of skin cancer, is also related to sun exposure, although perhaps not as strongly. Skin cancer has also been linked to exposure to some artificial sources of UV.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/radiationexposureandcancer/uvradiation/uv-radiation-does-uv-cause-cancer

Walking to your car on a sunny day has no more adverse health effect than being surrounded by 10 smokers in the open air. The CUMULATIVE effect of exposure to HIGH CONCENTRATIONS of sun over the course of decades (not normally brief exposure)MAY cause skin cancer in SOME individuals....not all.....much the same as actual exposure to decades of hazy 2nd hand smoke in a confined space(not an odour of a whiff of smoke) MAY cause lung cancer in SOME individuals....not all, as per established research ...... Please do not confuse the 2 vastly different entities.

No research supports any of this full-tilt alarmist death-ray fear that any miniscule exposure = death and destruction. In typically familiar agendist fashion, you are taking certain established stats that deal with certain established exposure levels and ignoring/discarding the specific research which established the resulting findings, whilst commence to cherry-picking /applying/broadcasting the misrepresented results to all related scenarios in order to further your agenda and justify personally obsessive fears/hatreds, in true alarmist agendist style.
 hozo
Msg: 139 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2013 9:01:54 AM

It is the CUMULATIVE effect of these 'whiffs of smoke' you marginalize that are problematic. Walking from your car to your office in the sun exposes you to skin cancer.

No it isn't, because sun exposure does not "expose you to skin cancer".....long term exposure changes basal cell DNA mutations. SOME of that change CAN lead to skin cancer. The key is LONG TERM....LIFETIME EXPOSURE.

Does UV radiation cause cancer?
Yes. In fact, most skin cancers are a direct result of exposure to the UV rays in sunlight. Both basal cell and squamous cell cancers (the most common types of skin cancer) tend to be found on sun-exposed parts of the body, and their occurrence is related to lifetime sun exposure. The risk of melanoma, a more serious but less common type of skin cancer, is also related to sun exposure, although perhaps not as strongly. Skin cancer has also been linked to exposure to some artificial sources of UV.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/radiationexposureandcancer/uvradiation/uv-radiation-does-uv-cause-cancer

Walking to your car on a sunny day has no more adverse health effect than being surrounded by 10 smokers in the open air. The CUMULATIVE effect of exposure to HIGH CONCENTRATIONS of sun over the course of decades (not brief exposure)MAY cause skin cancer in SOME individuals....not all.....much the same as actual hazy 2nd hand smoke in a confined space(not an odour of a whiff of smoke) MAY cause lung cancer in SOME individuals....not all, as per established research ...... Please do not confuse the 2 vastly different entities.

Again, in typically familiar agendist fashion, you are taking established stats that deal with established exposure levels and ignoring/discarding the specific research and resulting findings, whilst cherry-picking /applying/broadcasting the misrepresented results in order to further your agenda, in true alarmist agendist style.
 hozo
Msg: 133 (view)

Posted: 9/10/2013 6:16:01 PM

Yes Kathie, people 'simply walking by' and ingesting either sidestream or mainstream smoke develop cancer. It's a cumulative thing, just like sun damage. Every time we have to ingest the smoke from some addicted loser that needs a surrogate penis in their mouth - it raises the risk of developing cancer. It's sad that I have to educate you on such matters....

No it isn't. No studies show whiffs of brief smoke cause cancer. If it did, it would be plastered front and centre in the crusade against tobacco. Smelling smoke outside isn't 2nd hand smoke. It is only the brief SCENT of cigarette smoke. Vast, vast difference compared to being exposed to ACTUAL LONG TERM 2nd hand smoke in a confined space as classified by health studies.

Merely SMELLING cigarette smoke is not the same thing as 2nd hand smoke...thats only a few parts per million....not much different than the scent in the air of someones freshly shampooed hair or their cologne.

Speaking of the scent in the air of someones freshly shampooed hair, I suppose Iam getting cancer smelling your hair 10 metres away, much the same way you are getting cancer smelling cigarette smoke 10 metres away. It's a cumulative thing you say, just like sun damage ??:

Cancer-Causing Chemical Found in 98 Shampoos and Soaps
Published on August 29, 2013

Nearly 100 personal care products are in violation of a California law requiring that consumers be warned about the presence of cancer-causing chemicals, says an environmental nonprofit in Oakland.

Tests ordered by an environmental watchdog group revealed the presence of a cancer-causing chemical in dozens of personal care products that lack a warning label required by California law.

The compound, a chemically modified form of coconut oil—cocamide diethanolamine (cocamide DEA)—is used as a foaming agent or thickener in soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and similar products.

An independent laboratory commissioned by the Center for Environmental Health (CEH) tested the products to determine how much cocamide DEA was present. CEH purchased these products after June 2013 from online and local California retailers, such as Trader Joe’s, Walmart, Kohl’s, and Babies R Us.

Many of the products tested contained more than 10,000 parts per million (ppm) of cocamide DEA. In all, CEH identified 98 products with cocamide DEA among the ingredients, none of which carried the warning required by state law.

"The state has not set a [safety] level specific to cocamide DEA," says Charles Margulis, Communications Director and Food Program Director of CEH, "but the levels we found exceed levels typical for carcinogens."

To comply with California’s Proposition 65, companies are still required to provide a "clear and reasonable" warning to consumers when products they sell or produce contain chemicals listed by the state as harmful. This includes compounds known to cause cancer or birth defects.

Cocamide DEA was added to the California list of harmful chemicals in 2012 after the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) published its review of the chemical’s safety, which was based upon skin exposure tests in animals. "There is sufficient evidence in experimental animals for the carcinogenicity of coconut oil diethanolamine condensate," the agency writes.

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/cancer-dangerous-chemical-found-in-shampoos-and-soaps-082913

But anti smokers like the above poster dont know the difference. It fits their selfish agenda, and therin lies the problem.

I am not a cigarette smoker, therefore I can walk into a building, or someones house, etc, & detect the smell of cigarette smoke the same way an anti smoking crusader does. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ITS 2ND HAND SMOKE....But to a crusader, it is. I can also walk into a non-smoker's home and detect if they fried fish in the past week. I am breathing 2nd hand fish obviously.

It is no different than walking into a donut shoppe and smelling donuts. You may enjoy it, whilst others find it quite sickening and offensive. Using the anti-smoker scenario, I must be dangerously coating my lungs with white flour and powdered sugar.

Its merely an odour. I find it baffling that anti smokers go haywire over it. A smoker's home ALWAYS smells like cigarette smoke, even after theyve been on holiday for a week, but upon entering that same home after being vacant for a week, a non smoker will gag & rant & do all the obvious demeaning displays & gestures. Its hilarious.

The lines have become conveniently blurred by anti-smokers concerning 2nd hand smoke. 2ND HAND SMOKE, & merely just SMELLING SMOKE are 2 completely different things.

Studies done that anti smokers cling to as gospel deal with true recognised 2nd hand smoke statistics.....which is a suspended particulate count of several hundred parts per million of cigarette smoke, over a certain duration of time. It is a long term exposure to a concentrated amount.

True 2nd hand smoke can be seen as a smokey haze in a poorly ventilated room. One needs to be exposed months/years to this several hours a day. That is where the 2nd hand smoke stats come from. Nobody here is exposed to this anymore. If they are, they are the only ones who have a legitimate complaint. Everyone else is a bandwagon jumper. Every other anti smoker is conveniently hijacking it.

This is what I see as one of the problems created by a brainwashing agenda...a non smoker SEES or SMELLS cigarette smoke & equates it with 2ND HAND SMOKE. True 2nd hand smoke is an entity, not simply a scent or unfavourable visual on ones part.

You are dealing with a SCENT. You are magically turning it into 2ND HAND SMOKE.

Sorry, but you are not Jesus performing the miracle at Cana. If you are alarmed at being exposed to 3 parts per million of cigarette smoke, why are you not alarmed at being exposed to 3 parts per million of the hundreds other cancer-causing compound in the air you breathe daily?

This is a perfect example that its less a concern for ones health as it is a knee jerk Pavlov's dog response. When one merely SEES someone else smoking and gets a whiff of smoke SCENT anymore, that triggers a response - not the smoke itself. As you grimace & wave your hand in front of your face in the mere presence of a smoker its obvious to all that there's no thick cloud of smoke present, filling your lungs. Its merely a conscious public display in order to show your support for your stance.
 hozo
Msg: 114 (view)

Posted: 6/26/2013 4:44:10 PM

And besides, if these kids were to be fed, like, cereal and milk and fruit for breakfast instead of Arsenic and Benzene and Beryllium (a toxic metal) and 1,3–Butadiene (a hazardous gas) and Cadmium (a toxic metal) and Chromium (a metallic element) and Ethylene oxide and Nickel (a metallic element) Polonium-210 (a radioactive chemical element) and Vinyl chloride and Formaldehyde and Benzopyrene and Toluene, they would become obese. And THAT would hurt Britain.

Most of these "poisons" are in your everyday drinking water, along with a slew of others. They are also present in your child's cereal, the milk you pour atop it, and even the fruit you eat. They are present in the soil and groundwater and are absorbed from the ground by the plant. This is why tobacco leaves contain many of them, much like any other vegetation. Any vegetation that cattle eat or water they drink contains these compounds, which is also present in their meat and milk.

I live in a rural area with a groundwater well. My water is tested every 5 years. Here is a short list of major compounds present in my drinking water from a test done in 2011:

diclorothane
dibromoflouromethane
toluene
bromoflourobenzene
acetylene
strontium
barium
arsenic
manganese
ethylbenzene
ethane
bromide
sulfur
lead
magnesium
cadmium
mercury
radon

Glycol compounds are also in my water.....even traces of oil. This is typical Appalachian ground water that humans & animals have been drinking and fish have been swimming in for hundreds of thousands of years. If you live anywhere in North America, this is pretty much the composition of YOUR water, also.

Many of these are naturally occuring elements/compounds that are present in ground water, as they naturally occur. Even treated city tap water contains all these elements, plus the extra added benefits of a host of cancer-causing chlorine compounds, and other such municipal additives.

Here is a list of ALLOWABLE EPA carcinogens/contaminants that are present in your drinking water. You are unwittingly ingesting many of your listed of cigarette smoke 'poisons" multiple times per day with drinking water alone. You or your children will have less exposure to many of them by being outside in the open air surrounded by 10 smokers versus drinking your own tap water.

Disinfection Byproducts Contaminants in Drinking Water

Bromate- Increased risk of cancer
Byproduct of drinking water disinfection

Chlorite - Anemia; infants and young children: nervous system effects

Haloacetic acids - Increased risk of cancer

Total Trihalomethanes (TTHMs) - Liver, kidney or central nervous system problems; increased risk of cancer

Chlorine - Eye/nose irritation; stomach discomfort
Water additive used to control microbes

Chlorine dioxide (as ClO2) - Anemia; infants and young children: nervous system effects
Water additive used to control microbes

Inorganic Chemicals Contaminants in Drinking Water

Antimony - Increase in blood cholesterol; decrease in blood sugar
Discharge from petroleum refineries; fire retardants; ceramics; electronics; solder

Arsenic - Skin damage or problems with circulatory systems, and may have increased risk of getting cancer
Erosion of natural deposits; runoff from orchards, runoff from glass and electronicsproduction wastes

Asbestos (fiber > 10 micrometers) 7 million fibers per liter (MFL) - Increased risk of developing benign intestinal polyps
Decay of asbestos cement in water mains; erosion of natural deposits

Barium - Increase in blood pressure
Discharge of drilling wastes; discharge from metal refineries; erosion of natural deposits

Beryllium - Intestinal lesions
Discharge from metal refineries and coal-burning factories; discharge from electrical, aerospace, and defense industries

Cadmium - Kidney damage
Corrosion of galvanized pipes; erosion of natural deposits; discharge from metal refineries; runoff from waste batteries and paints

Chromium - Allergic dermatitis
Discharge from steel and pulp mills; erosion of natural deposits

Copper - Short term exposure: Gastrointestinal distress
Long term exposure: Liver or kidney damage
Corrosion of household plumbing systems; erosion of natural deposits

Cyanide (as free cyanide) - Nerve damage or thyroid problems
Discharge from steel/metal factories; discharge from plastic and fertilizer factories

Fluoride - Bone disease (pain and tenderness of the bones); Children may get mottled teeth
Water additive which promotes strong teeth; erosion of natural deposits; discharge from fertilizer and aluminum factories

Lead - Infants and children: Delays in physical or mental development; children could show slight deficits in attention span and learning abilities
Adults: Kidney problems; high blood pressure
Corrosion of household plumbing systems; erosion of natural deposits

Mercury (inorganic) - Kidney damage
Erosion of natural deposits; discharge from refineries and factories; runoff from landfills and croplands

Nitrate (measured as Nitrogen) - Infants below the age of six months who drink water containing nitrate in excess of the MCL could become seriously ill and, if untreated, may die. Symptoms include shortness of breath and blue-baby syndrome.
Runoff from fertilizer use; leaking from septic tanks, sewage; erosion of natural deposits

Selenium - Hair or fingernail loss; numbness in fingers or toes; circulatory problems
Discharge from petroleum refineries; erosion of natural deposits; discharge from mines

Thallium - Hair loss; changes in blood; kidney, intestine, or liver problems
Leaching from ore-processing sites; discharge from electronics, glass, and drug factories

Organic Chemicals Contaminants in Drinking Water

Acrylamide - Nervous system or blood problems; increased risk of cancer
Added to water during sewage/wastewater treatment

Alachlor- Eye, liver, kidney or spleen problems; anemia; increased risk of cancer
Runoff from herbicide used on row crops

Atrazine - Cardiovascular system or reproductive problems

Benzene - Anemia; decrease in blood platelets; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from factories; leaching from gas storage tanks and landfills

Benzo(a)pyrene (PAHs) - Reproductive difficulties; increased risk of cancer
Leaching from linings of water storage tanks and distribution lines

Carbofuran - Problems with blood, nervous system, or reproductive system
Leaching of soil fumigant used on rice and alfalfa

Carbon tetrachloride - Liver problems; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from chemical plants and other industrial activities

Chlordane - Liver or nervous system problems; increased risk of cancer
Residue of banned termiticide

Chlorobenzene - Liver or kidney problems
Discharge from chemical and agricultural chemical factories

2,4-D - Kidney, liver, or adrenal gland problems

Dalapon- Minor kidney changes
Runoff from herbicide used on rights of way

1,2-Dibromo-3-chloropropane (DBCP) - Reproductive difficulties; increased risk of cancer
Runoff/leaching from soil fumigant used on soybeans, cotton, pineapples, and orchards

o-Dichlorobenzene - Liver, kidney, or circulatory system problems
Discharge from industrial chemical factories

p-Dichlorobenzene - Anemia; liver, kidney or spleen damage; changes in blood

1,2-Dichloroethane zero - Increased risk of cancer

1,1-Dichloroethylene - Liver problems

cis-1,2-Dichloroethylene - Liver problems

trans-1,2-Dichloroethylene - Liver problems

Dichloromethane - Liver problems; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from drug and chemical factories

1,2-Dichloropropane - Increased risk of cancer

Di(2-ethylhexyl) adipate - Weight loss, liver problems, or possible reproductive difficulties.
Discharge from chemical factories

Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate - Reproductive difficulties; liver problems; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from rubber and chemical factories

Dinoseb - Reproductive difficulties
Runoff from herbicide used on soybeans and vegetables

Dioxin (2,3,7,8-TCDD) - Reproductive difficulties; increased risk of cancer
Emissions from waste incineration and other combustion; discharge from chemical factories

Diquat - Cataracts
Runoff from herbicide use

Endothall - Stomach and intestinal problems

Endrin - Liver problems
Residue of banned insecticide

Epichlorohydrin - TT8 Increased cancer risk, and over a long period of time, stomach problems
Discharge from industrial chemical factories; an impurity of some water treatment chemicals

Ethylbenzene - Liver or kidneys problems
Discharge from petroleum refineries

Ethylene dibromide - Problems with liver, stomach, reproductive system, or kidneys; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from petroleum refineries

Glyphosate - Kidney problems; reproductive difficulties

Heptachlor zero 0.0004 Liver damage; increased risk of cancer
Residue of banned termiticide

Heptachlor epoxide - Liver damage; increased risk of cancer
Breakdown of heptachlor

Hexachlorobenzene - Liver or kidney problems; reproductive difficulties; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from metal refineries and agricultural chemical factories

Hexachlorocyclopentadiene - Kidney or stomach problems
Discharge from chemical factories

Lindane - Liver or kidney problems
Runoff/leaching from insecticide used on cattle, lumber, gardens

Methoxychlor - Reproductive difficulties
Runoff/leaching from insecticide used on fruits, vegetables, alfalfa, livestock

Oxamyl (Vydate) - Slight nervous system effects
Runoff/leaching from insecticide used on apples, potatoes, and tomatoes

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) - Skin changes; thymus gland problems; immune deficiencies; reproductive or nervous system difficulties; increased risk of cancer
Runoff from landfills; discharge of waste chemicals

Pentachlorophenol - Liver or kidney problems; increased cancer risk
Discharge from wood preserving factories

Picloram - Liver problems
Herbicide runoff

Simazine - Problems with blood
Herbicide runoff

Styrene - Liver, kidney, or circulatory system problems
Discharge from rubber and plastic factories; leaching from landfills

Tetrachloroethylene - Liver problems; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from factories and dry cleaners

Toluene 1 1 - Nervous system, kidney, or liver problems
Discharge from petroleum factories

Toxaphene - Kidney, liver, or thyroid problems; increased risk of cancer
Runoff/leaching from insecticide used on cotton and cattle

2,4,5-TP (Silvex) - Liver problems
Residue of banned herbicide

1,2,4-Trichlorobenzene - Changes in adrenal glands
Discharge from textile finishing factories

1,1,1-Trichloroethane - Liver, nervous system, or circulatory problems
Discharge from metal degreasing sites and other factories

1,1,2-Trichloroethane - Liver, kidney, or immune system problems

Trichloroethylene - Liver problems; increased risk of cancer
Discharge from metal degreasing sites and other factories

Vinyl chloride - Increased risk of cancer
Leaching from PVC pipes; discharge from plastic factories

Xylenes (total) - Nervous system damage
Discharge from petroleum factories; discharge from chemical factories

Radionuclides Contaminants in Drinking Water

Alpha particles - Increased risk of cancer
Erosion of natural deposits of certain minerals that are radioactive and may emit a form of radiation known as alpha radiation

Beta particles and photon emitters - Increased risk of cancer
Decay of natural and man-made deposits of certain minerals that are radioactive and may emit forms of radiation known as photons and beta radiation

Radium 226 and Radium 228 (combined) - Increased risk of cancer
Erosion of natural deposits

Uranium - Increased risk of cancer, kidney toxicity
Erosion of natural deposits

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/index.cfm#List
 hozo
Msg: 113 (view)

Posted: 6/26/2013 4:28:28 PM
Age does not seem to matter in this grouping of stats. All this shows is that, no matter what, if you ever touched a cigarette to your lips, you are deemed a smoking statistic whenever you die. Since you are a smoker, whatever you died from seems to be co-related or linked to smoking.
 hozo
Msg: 111 (view)

Posted: 6/26/2013 8:08:16 AM

“smoking is the largest single cause of preventable illness and premature death in the UK. It kills 106,000 people every year and costs the British taxpayer more than £1.7billion a year in treatment bills alone. It causes 84 per cent of deaths from lung cancer and 83 per cent of deaths from chronic obstructive lung disease, including
bronchitis”

C'mon Baby!!! Let's do the Statistics Twist!!

Hmm....smoking kills OVER 100,000 people per year in the UK! What a scourge! This is obscene!

Wait...only about 20% of the population smokes. How does this 106,000 number correlate with other death rate data? I am curious. Why is there not any other comparable data in this statement? It seems that 106,000 number is cherry-picked and trumpeted in order to further an agenda.

Let us see.......

Yes. This is another smoke-and-mirrors scare statistic that sound frightening when twisted to fit an agenda. I am astonished at the deceit shown by those who skew numbers, and the gullibility and stupidity of those who are duped by them.

OK, DO THE MATH:

*Total population in UK: about 62 million.

*20% of the population smoke = about 11-12 million smokers

*Total yearly deaths in UK: about 500,000

*Statistical smoking-related deaths per year: about 106,000

*106,000 smoking-related deaths = about 20% of all deaths....DUH..

20% of the population smoke, and they account for 20% of the deaths.
If that is the case, then...

NEWS FLASH:
20% OF DEATHS ARE THE 20% WHO SMOKE
80% OF DEATHS ARE THE 80% WHO DONT SMOKE

DUH. Using this logic, more people die from NOT smoking. LOL
If nobody smoked, then 0% of deaths would be caused by smoking,
and 100% of deaths would be caused by.....DEATH perhaps??
 hozo
Msg: 102 (view)

Posted: 6/23/2013 9:51:06 PM

I never alluded to any study. Reread my comment, "I've heard" which would mean I've heard and nothing more from people who worked in the service industry and the time and this is what they said. Many of those establishments had regulars who probably smoked and they stopped coming to those restaurants once the by-law went in effect; and those customers tipped much better.

No studies, but some surveys. Here are a couple of links.

A recent survey of North American service workers rated the best tippers in this order:
(1) Other restaurant workers
(2) Regular customers, especially cigarette smokers
(3) Young male “wannabes”
(4) Small business owners
(5) Tavern owners
(6) Hairdressers
(7) Liquor salesmen
(8) Taxi drivers
(9) Salesmen
(10) Musicians.

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/who-are-the-best-tippers-in-north-america-and-what-are-their-professions

...and this excerpt from an informal survey taken from the WaiterRant site:

-Non-smokers-

This is very old as I’ve been working in places other than restaurants since early 1992, but when I was there, the ardent non-smokers – those who complained if they could so much as see the smoking section – were the worst. In the normal sections, it was easy to average over 15% after tipouts to bar, busser, etc.; but in non-smoking maybe 12% at the most.

economybeat.org/consumers/who-are-the-worst-tippers/index.html

hozo
Msg: 97 (view)

Posted: 6/21/2013 10:55:33 PM
Of course he (and all others) missed it. He recommends staying indoors - in your toxic, highly polluted cancer- causing indoor environment, versus being in the outdoor vicinity of a smoker. This is the result of a brainwashing agenda that masks and buries all other health threats, whilst putting smoking front and centre in the limelight in this perverted one-sided crusade.

It is far safer being outdoors surrounded by 10 smokers than being indoors. Anti-smoking crusaders do not put anything into perspective. Cigarette smoke is the only deadly entity on the planet, according to their tunnel-visioned perspective. Ignorance and deliberate blind-eye denial deems everything else conveniently healthy and safe in comparison.

According to the EPA, indoor air pollution is one of the nation's most pressing personal health concerns. Peak concentrations of 20 toxic compounds - some linked with cancer and birth defects - were 200 to 500 times higher inside some homes than outdoors, according to a 5-year EPA study that surveyed 600 homes in six cities.

Residues of more than 400 toxic chemicals - some found in household products and foods - have been identified in human blood and fat tissue.

Left untreated, long-term exposure to indoor pollution can result in lung cancer, or damage to the liver, kidney and central nervous system. Young children are especially vulnerable to impaired lung function and respiratory infection.

The risk for leukemia increases by four to seven times for children, ages 10 and under, whose parents use home or garden pesticides.

The risk of childhood brain cancer is associated with the use of pesticide "bombs" in the home, pesticides to control termites, flea collars on pets, insecticides in the garden or orchard, and herbicides to control weeds in the yard, including exposure to two common pesticides available in garden shops - carbaryl and diazinon.

Methylene chloride, the propellant used in many aerosol products, is carcinogenic. Some products containing methylene chloride have been pulled from the market, but the carcinogen continues to be found in many consumer products such as spray paint and stripper.

Not a single cosmetic company warns consumers of the presence of carcinogens in its products - despite the fact that a number of common cosmetic ingredients are carcinogenic or carcinogenic precursors.

Some experts estimate that 20 percent of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cases among women are attributable to their use of hair dyes.

Certain cleansers and many brands of cat litter contain the carcinogen crystalline silica. Some car cleaning products contain formaldehyde.

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/household/carcinogens_home.htm
 hozo
Msg: 94 (view)

Posted: 6/21/2013 6:22:17 PM
/\ /\ and neither were you at the beach, complaining about someone smoking in OPEN AIR near you,whilst the vapours of your toxic sunscreen, which contains oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate, known cancer-causing agents, hotboxed someone else's space simultaneously.
 hozo
Msg: 26 (view)

Fridge running cold....ideas?
Posted: 6/21/2013 9:03:04 AM
OK I will post in order to help with the post limit restriction imposed on the OP.

I am not sure how your fridge is set up, since it doesnt have a freezer, but keep in mind, in a closed fridge, cold air sinks - warm air rises.

This is why the foods in the crisper, or closer to the bottom are freezing. The temp can vary as much as 2 degrees C. Until you solve the problem, you may want to try to re-arrange your goodies.

Which brings me to the next thought: Many fridges have a small fan that runs and circulates the air INSIDE the closed fridge whilst it runs. The reason for this is to avoid the cold refrigerated air FROM sinking to the bottom, much like what sounds like is happening to yours. The fan keeps the air inside circulated, thus maintaining a balanced temperature top-to-bottom. If the fan is dead(which does happen,tho not a common occurance), or not blowing/circulating air from the cold vents for another reason, this may be the problem.

Check when running and see if you can feel if a fan is running AND it is blowing the air inside when the fridge is running.
 hozo
Msg: 7 (view)

Fridge running cold....ideas?
Posted: 6/16/2013 11:30:24 AM
Yes, what Igor said. I had a dial thermostat go bad many years ago on a small portable refrigerator. Very rare occurance, but it does happen.
As a last ditch effort,before spending any money, try unplugging the fridge for a day, then plugging it back in.The reason for this is that hidden coils can ice up partially,or completely... actually frozen in their own block of ice, which can fool the sensor that controls the on/off function of the dial thermostat. I've also had that happen during hot humid summer months where high air moisture/humidity condenses and freezes around those hidden coils. That sensor may be inside or near that block of iced-up coils. If so, it doesnt sense correct temperature, and will over-run the fridge. Worth a try.
 hozo
Msg: 87 (view)

Posted: 6/14/2013 12:53:07 PM
Then practice what you preach and stop crying like a baby and running to mommy whenever someone lights a cigarette 10 meters away.

Again,I have no concern for 2nd hand smoke, let alone a whiff of smoke from a bystander in open air. It pales in comparison to what I breathed, absorbed, or ingested as a child or young adult in my own backyard or house located near a heavy industry. You can breathe a lifetime of this so called "2nd hand smoke". It does not even come close to what I breathed in 1 month on my job, or, even if I didnt work there, just growing up and living in my community. We could almost always "see" the air we breathed.

Our stained,once white home exteriors, dulled oxidised automobile finishes and non-smoking mothers, aunts and grandmothers with odd cancers and severe respiratory problems(who never set foot inside a steel mill) are testament to that.
 hozo
Msg: 84 (view)

Posted: 6/14/2013 9:02:07 AM

yeah, well. or just an infinitesimal possibility (that you appear to have overlooked) that it COULD be a matter of choice. you chose to work in the steel industry because you apparently deemed the risks of inhaling that stuff 'acceptable' in light of the pay and competing career choices.

if you had REALLY wanted to, or thought the risk was too high you could have chosen a 'safer' career path (less exposure to those chemicals.)

most people cannot choose to ensure that smokers won't light up in close proximity to them, unless they choose to stay in their house & never exit - doesn't seem very 'reasonable'

Nobody knew 30, 40, 50 years ago that these were deadly carcinogens. OSHA and EPA werent established until the 1970s, and didnt start widespread comprehensive regulations until years after their inceptions. Thanks for your concern.

You may as well have just said this to me:

Hello, Mr. Steelworker. I wasnt aware that you were exposed to dozens, if not perhaps hundreds of untold carcinogenic, possibly cancer causing toxins in the air of your work environment AND surrounding local communities! Thats a shame. With effort, foresight, determination, & creativity, it MAY be possible to rid your workplace and nearby urban areas of these dangerous substances.

But, unfortunately, its just not "easy" or "convenient" to do. It would require much too much effort, & frankly, we feel you're not worth it. Since Im not exposed to it nor will ever be, I really dont care about it very much. You chose to work and live there - I suppose you will have to put up with it. Sorry!!

On the other hand, I will do everything in my power to help a fellow anti smoker in his/her crusade to rid the one(1) REMOTELY possible carcinogenic cancer causing toxin from the air in THEIR workplace, or any open-air public atmosphere.

See...even though the air in your work environment AND surrounding city/community is far far worse, the bottom line is, I simply dont like cigarette smoke, so therefore its something thats dear to my heart & Im willing to do all I can to make this happen at whatever cost, even if that means pushing my agenda front & centre, effectively burying YOUR far worse problem, rendering it invisible, so that no action be taken, which would steal the limelight from our crusade . Its obvious that I feel their peace of mind in their workplace and/or surrounding community is far more important than yours, so preferential treatment is in order.

In the spirit of hypocritical double standards, I say to you...Good luck in your workplace and nearby polluted communities. Here...here's a respirator. Wear it in good health.
 hozo
Msg: 80 (view)

Posted: 6/13/2013 5:43:20 PM

The smell of fish isn't toxic

Oh,but it is. As I said, I can detect if someone fried fish in their house in the past week. I am breathing carcenogenic toxins at roughly the same level as trace residual cigarette smoke odour.

Identification of benzo[a]pyrene 7,8-diol 9,10-epoxide N2-deoxyguanosine in human lung adenocarcinoma cells exposed to cooking fumes from frying fish under domestic conditions.

http://www.occup-med.com/content/4/1/9

I work with all kinds of chemicals and you don't actually have to be able to smell them for them to be doing you harm. We have meters around our facility to detect leakage. I don't know where you get the idea that cigarette smoke has to be visible to be causing harm but I'm fairly sure you just made it up.

Thanks for the lovely diatribe, but I worked in a filthy steel mill - with all kinds of chemicals - for nearly 30 years. Yes,we also had a variety of EPA gas and particulate monitors everywhere. We also had required access to MSDA sheets for every chemical we handled. There was no law stating that the industry had to cease & desist putting that primordal soup of particulates, toxins & gasses into the air in MY work environment, nor any law that banned us from handling any harmful chemical. The only law concerning any of that was the UPPER threshold limit concerning any of these TOXIC gasses, chemicals and/or particulates. In other words, it was OK to breathe or handle ANYTHING, as long as it was within tolerable set limits for a set period of time.

Cigarette smoke was not part of any equation. I'm fairly sure you just made it up, because I am sure that any brief exposure to any upper limit of ppm cigarette smoke pales in comparison to any ALLOWABLE EPA limit of the myriad of cancer-causing agents that was deemed OK for me to breathe, ingest or absorb on a daily basis in a steel mill as per EPA allowable limit regulations.

For example, working in a steel mill, I am allowed to be exposed to 50 ppm of CO (carbon monoxide) for an 8 HOUR PERIOD, according to OSHA.

Typical air contains about 2 ppm of CO at any instant of time.

Prolonged concentrated second hand smoke exposure(not a whiff of smoke in an open-air environment) can raise those levels to a bit over 10 ppm, which is FAR below any concentration I was allowed to be exposed to in my work environment.

Thats 10 ppm is FAR below the EPA limit of 50 ppm of CO, or any threshold set by any agency.

I also am allowed to be exposed to 50ppm of a cancer-causing metal, hexavalent chromium, in my workplace. I was exposed to that nearly every day for nearly 30 years.

The list goes on & on & on & on.......there are tolerable limits set for virtually every toxin known to man, but somehow for anti smoking crusaders, tobacco smoke is magically different and instantly fatal. Perhaps we should make weapons from it.

The only answer I can give you is that anti- smoking crusaders believe they are allowed to create & play by a different set of rules than everyone else.
 hozo
Msg: 76 (view)

Posted: 6/13/2013 10:06:38 AM
....but you specifically said:

disrespectful of our freedom to breathe clean air.

It quite sounds like a reference to 2nd hand smoke. The smokers next to you (in an open-air enviroment) were "polluting your air", hence it cannot be anything but "2nd hand smoke". If it was not 2nd hand smoke, then it was only a personally offensive odour to you, otherwise your open air would have been deemed "clean" by you during that episode, despite your similar suntan lotion and/or food//body//personal hygiene odours wafting towards others.
 hozo
Msg: 75 (view)

Posted: 6/13/2013 9:24:37 AM
/\ /\ /\ Merely SMELLING cigarette smoke is not the same thing as 2nd hand smoke...thats only a few parts per million....not much different than the scent in the air of someones freshly shampooed hair or their cologne. Were you equally concerned that the wafting scent of your suntan lotion, or the potentially sickening odour of certain foods you were eating may have been disrespectful, and offended those very same people sitting next to you?

But anti smokers like the above poster dont know the difference. It fits their selfish agenda, and therin lies the problem.

I am not a cigarette smoker, therefore I can walk into a building, or someones house, etc, & detect the smell of cigarette smoke the same way an anti smoking crusader does. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ITS 2ND HAND SMOKE....But to a crusader, it is. I can also walk into a non-smoker's home and detect if they fried fish in the past week. I am breathing 2nd hand fish obviously.

It is no different than walking into a donut shoppe and smelling donuts. You may enjoy it, whilst others find it quite sickening and offensive. Using the anti-smoker scenario, I must be dangerously coating my lungs with white flour and powdered sugar.

Its merely an odour. I find it baffling that anti smokers go haywire over it. A smoker's home ALWAYS smells like cigarette smoke, even after theyve been on holiday for a week, but upon entering that same home after being vacant for a week, a non smoker will gag & rant & do all the obvious demeaning displays & gestures. Its hilarious.

The lines have become conveniently blurred by anti-smokers concerning 2nd hand smoke. 2ND HAND SMOKE, & merely just SMELLING SMOKE are 2 completely different things.

Studies done that anti smokers cling to as gospel deal with true recognised 2nd hand smoke statistics.....which is a suspended particulate count of several hundred parts per million of cigarette smoke, over a certain duration of time. It is a long term exposure to a concentrated amount.

True 2nd hand smoke can be seen as a smokey haze in a poorly ventilated room. One needs to be exposed months/years to this several hours a day. That is where the 2nd hand smoke stats come from. Nobody here is exposed to this anymore. If they are, they are the only ones who have a legitmate complaint. Everyone else is a bandwagon jumper. Every other anti smoker is conveniently hijacking it.

This is what I see as one of the problems created by a brainwashing agenda...a non smoker SEES or SMELLS cigarette smoke & equates it with 2ND HAND SMOKE. True 2nd hand smoke is an entity, not simply a scent or unfavourable visual on ones part.

You are dealing with a SCENT. You are magically turning it into 2ND HAND SMOKE.

Sorry, but you are not Jesus performing the miracle at Cana. If you are alarmed at being exposed to 3 parts per million of cigarette smoke, why are you not alarmed at being exposed to 3 parts per million of the hundreds other cancer-causing compound in the air you breathe daily?

This is a perfect example that its less a concern for ones health as it is a knee jerk Pavlov's dog response. When one merely SEES someone else smoking and gets a whiff of smoke SCENT anymore, that triggers a response - not the smoke itself. As you grimace & wave your hand in front of your face in the mere presence of a smoker its obvious to all that there's no thick cloud of smoke present. Its merely a conscious public display in order to show your support for your stance.
 hozo
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2013 8:05:41 PM
There are dozens of Mosaic virus strains. You are singling out one. Tobacco Mosaic Virus is but one of many. They all affect garden plants. Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Lettuce Mosaic Virus, Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Potato Mosaic Virus, Corn Mosaic Virus, etc. etc.

Chances are, the strain of mosaic virus in your garden is not caused by cigarette butts. My tomatoes grew fine despite(or because of?) thousands of decomposed composted cigarette butts in the garden soil. If by chance it is caused by cigarette butts, it was the human carrier of one of these listed mosaic viruses that touched the garden plant, or as a longshot, touched his/her virus-infested lips to that cigarette butt, not the cigarette butt itself. Unlikely though, as you said, these cigarette butts are loaded with deadly toxic chemicals. No virus on the planet that may be present in the unburned cigarette tobacco can possibly survive the super-heated burning of the cigarette, then somehow survive the toxic aftershock chemical bath present in the leftover butt, unless it was introduced by pre-infected human touch. It is the infected plant itself, and/or the human carrier who touched those many plants that are responsible, both smoker and non-smoker alike. Your non-smoking gardening gloves are mostly likely infected, and likewise responsible.
 hozo
Msg: 36 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2013 12:29:02 PM
The Mosiac Virus is present in hundreds of plants. Living tobacco is one of them . Cigarettes do NOT carry the virus, as processed cigarette tobacco is flue/heat cured, which kills any Mosiac virus that was ever present on the raw tobacco.

Cigarette butts ARE bio-degradable. They are made of Cellulose Acetate. Cellulose Acetate is a by-product of wood. Synthetic versions posess the same characteristics as wood-derived Cellulose Acetate. In soil, they will decompose at roughly the same rate as hardwood, depending on temperature, moisture, & bacteria/microbe cultures of the soil. It varies from as little as 4 months to perhaps several years depending.

My ex smoked heavily, and dumped the ashtrays into a small raised garden bed. Many thousands of butts were entered into this bed. Every year, when turning over the soil, most butts were either completely decomposed, or only partial remnants remained, which would then be completely gone the NEXT year. There were not thousands of eternal cigarette butts in the raised bed accumulating year after year. There were no detrimental effects on anything vegatative planted in the raised bed. I believe the composting of these thousands of butts actually enrichened the soil.
 hozo
Msg: 6 (view)

Am I being scammed?
Posted: 5/14/2013 11:03:19 AM
The bad news is they already have all of your basic vital personal info that you filled out on the form. Using this info, they could parlay that into many things...online searches using this info, fake IDs, credit card applications, etc. Be prepared to deal with possible fraud conducted in your name, plus the added benefit of a flood of spam/junk mail due to you giving them your name/address/email/phone#.
 hozo
Msg: 41 (view)

Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:39:00 PM
Good thread. Yes, there is discrimination....I have lived it and still live it to this day. It actually is a tool I use to weed out plastic superficial people. They judge me in an instant, and likewise I see that side of their personality and instantly know where they stand. I try to avoid them in most situations. It is simply a unique screening process for me concerning the general populace. It is no different than you judging someone by their political leanings, ethnic origin, etc. It is plain and simple discrimination at the end of the day, and I react accordingly.

Long hair is acceptable in my "profession", but I still am judged even within those circles by mainstream plastic conformists. I/We(age 50+) came of age in an era where guys & girls grew their hair long. Girls with long hair were the coming-of-age types vs. the stoic old fashioned 1950s housewife looking mom types with the bee hive bubble-do's. Same with men. Guys with short hair were akin to the white cracker southern redneck John Birch Society mentality who burned Beatles albums at rallies, while the long haired dudes were looked upon as free thinkers..open minded..worldly avant garde etc.

It was an era, not the fad of the week, & it made an impression on me as I matured. So to this day I still hold those preferences & dont care what the fashionable hairdo of the month club says which style is in or out at the moment. LOL

What I dont understand are girls who say they dont like guys with long hair, but they all swoon over the latest long haired swashbuckling hero in the latest action flick, or better yet that long haired rock star. Its been like that forever too. Whats up with that??
 hozo
Msg: 45 (view)

Steubenville rape case
Posted: 3/21/2013 11:29:31 AM
The victim didn't know what happened to her due to being intoxicated and unconscious when the attack(s) occured. She went to a party at one house, drank too much, and the next morning she woke up naked at another house. She testified she doesn't remember much in between. She and a few close friends wondered aloud whether she had been drugged, due to her behaviour and condition that evening and next morning.

She only found out what had happened after friends told her about online chatter and cellphone photos/videos that were being circulated. She doesn't remember anything shown in the photos or videos. Texts from the perpetrators that evening repeatedly say that she was passed out/unconscious during the episodes.

Here is a link to a partial list of incriminating texts between the teen boys & others/friends:
http://mobilebroadcastnews.com/NewsRoom/Don-Carpenter/Text-Messages-led-convictions-Steubenville-Rape-Trial

It took her a full day of inquiring about it before she had a concrete idea of what happened. By then, knowlege of it had fully spread throughout the network, including the football coach, among others. People involved were already texting each other, changing stories, deleting photos, and creating alibis. That is when the parents got involved and contacted local authorities. Nobody else who knew about it or were involved that evening reported anything about it.

The Steubenville police chief said after the trial that he begged people to come forward with information. Nobody directly or indirectly involved seemed interested in talking to his department about the incident.
 hozo
Msg: 43 (view)

Steubenville rape case
Posted: 3/21/2013 10:39:54 AM
The defence had no shortage of female witnesses willing to testify on behalf of the defendants against the victim. And keep in mind, 2 female juveniles were arrested for threatening the victim with retaliation via social media, 1 day after the guilty verdict was handed down . Believe it or not, there are a large chunk of females blaming the victim, both locally here and nationally.
 hozo
Msg: 40 (view)

Steubenville rape case
Posted: 3/21/2013 8:16:10 AM
The girl was at first reluctant to testify because she knew the networks she was up against and her position/standing in all of it. Testimony revealed that at first she was ashamed & frightened, and just wanted to hide from it. She was accusing the star quarterback of the area's favourite team of rape. I believe her parents were the ones at first who contacted the (female)city prosecutor, and was told by said prosecutor behind closed doors not to pursue it, due to lack of evidence, etc. That was the first of a long list of eyebrow-raising incidents involving local officials and their attempt to sweep it under the rug.

Once it went viral and people found out that she and her son (also a fellow teammate) were friends with the teens accused of rape, only then did she recuse herself from the process and things finally took off, due to public local pressure alledging that she had ties and could not be impartial. Public local pressure also resulted in a visiting judge hearing the case, instead of a local judge, who also alledgedly had ties.

During the critical time period between when the incident happened , and when it went fully viral(a couple weeks), very little, if anything was done by local officials. Once it went viral it was taken out of the hands of local officials. The Ohio Attorney General got involved and things started to happen. It is alleged that much evidence was destroyed in those critical 2 weeks, which probably would have resulted in more arrests and convictions. Had these few accounts not been hacked early on and contents posted publicly, they too would have been destroyed, leaving virtually no hard evidence.

Key players involved refused to testify, and had to be granted immunity from the judge in order to get their testimony on the stand. In the end, 16 key people in this small town refused to testify about the case, leaving the state attorney general no choice but to order a new grand jury next month to investigate further allegations of coverup and perjury.

The anonymous group and associates who hacked accounts and publicly posted the evidence were involved early on, and were the ones initially responsible for bringing all of this to light. There was a strong concentrated effort to silence the group early on. They were chastised by local officials for "meddling". There was actually a lawsuit filed for defamation of character against the hackers group by someone involved , and the sheriff paraphrased publicly that he condemned the hackers' actions and was taking action to shut them down.
 hozo
Msg: 38 (view)

Steubenville rape case
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:07:38 PM
I am local to Steubenville, about 10km or so just on the West Virginia side of the border. I have been following this closely, since the local media is saturated with it. This case goes far beyond the rape & the convictions handed down. Locally, there are multiple layers to the case involving allegations of alleged cozy ties between the football coach and the county sheriff, the city prosecutor(whose son is on the football team/friends with the convicted juveniles), the city probation officer(who is the sheriff's son), the idolising of the local sports programmes along with the players/coaches/supporters who are accused of closing ranks, playing favourites and trying to cover it up.

It took 16 days to come to light, and that only happened after the hacking of email and other digital accounts by an anonymous group who posted the text contents, pictures and videos of these hacked accounts for all to see.

http://mobilebroadcastnews.com/NewsRoom/Don-Carpenter/Text-Messages-led-convictions-Steubenville-Rape-Trial

Here is a link that shows the local feel of the events and relationship between those involved and how it is raising eyebrows::

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/steubenville-coach-reno-saccoccia-bio/63288/

The female rape victim has been threatened by other teens through social media now, and they have been arrested:

http://www.wtov9.com/news/news/breaking-news-2-arrested-connection-threats-jane-d/nWwmd/

One of the juveniles convicted of rape is appealing his conviction:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/steubenville-rapist-appeal/63290/
 hozo
Msg: 20 (view)

Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:19:04 PM
Mitch, I see. You are severely intolerant to both Lipophilic or Hydrophilic Statins! Your experience with Crestor, even at 10 mg. shows the potency of Hydrophilic Statins and the related side effects. You would have been wise to fraction the dose as small as possible. I bet 1 mg of Crestor would have worked for you, but alas, you cannot practically cut a tablet small enough to get 1 mg.

Another myth is that it must be taken daily. Not true....once you establish acceptable LDL/HDL numbers, you can dose every other day, or even just 2-3 times per week with a fraction of the prescribed dose. This is what I do.

These drugs are very powerful and as you describe, can be detrimental to your health. Low dose as low as possible, and do not dose daily!
 hozo
Msg: 17 (view)

Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 1:28:30 PM
Some side effects from statins are muscle fatigue, weakness and connective tissue disorder. The last is a serious side effect, which I believe you suffer from. It mimics muscle breakdown as if you are elderly.

What are you prescribed? The older generation lipophilic statins like Lovostatin & Lipitor are high-dosage statins and have more of these side effects. Newer hydrophilic statins such as Crestor work a bit differently, and are very low dose as compared. There are less side effects, plus they work as good or better at lower mg. doses

I will give you an example: I was prescribed statins about 10 years ago due to abnormal hdl/ldl/triglycerides/total cholesterol. I was apprehensive about taking them. My MD prescribed Crestor(newer low dose). I insisted on the lowest dosage, so he prescribed 10 mg. tablets once per day.

Without telling my MD, I proceeded to cut the 10 mg. tablets into 4 pieces(2.5 mg each). I took 1/4 tablet daily. My next blood test 3 months later showed ALL numbers in line and normal with 1/4 of the lowest prescribed dosage.

My suggestion to anyone taking statins is to forgo the older generation statins, which can dose up to 80 mg. or more, and switch to the newer low dose statins. Take the smallest dosage possible. You may not even need the smallest prescribed dosage.
 hozo

Help With My Car : (
Posted: 10/13/2012 8:14:03 AM
It might be a sticking throttle cable as mentioned, or might also be a problem similar to one that I had.

The throttle intake butterfly valve may be gummed up and may sticking open a wee bit. I am not sure about a Renault, but lift the bonnet and look at the top of the motor. If there is a rubber air intake attachment that comes from the air filter and clamps to the throttle body, take it off. All you should need for this is a screwdriver to undo the clamp.

There should be a throttle butterfly valve there that is controlled by the throttle cable. If it is black and gunky-looking, there is a build-up there and the valve isnt closing completely. Or the gunk could also have gunked up the neighbouring throttle position sensor, which may be located somewhere close inside the same throat area where that throttle butterfly valve is located. (Sometimes there a small venturi inside that throttle body that routes to that sensor, and gets plugged by gunk.)

Buy a spray can of carb cleaner with that little spray wand attachment & spray the area inside that throat. Using a toothbrush, hold open that throttle butterfly valve and spray liberally inside the throat, then use the toothbrush to scrub any stubborn gunk, then spray clean with the carb spray.

Start the auto(it may be a bit hard to start at first due to flooding the throttle body with carb cleaner) and run it until it runs smooth. Put the rubber boot back on and tighten the clamp. You are done.

No guaranty this will work, but most anyone can do this. It is a very cheap fix that will not harm anything. It works for me, and I must do this about twice per year.
 hozo
Msg: 25 (view)

The Pain of being a skinny guy.
Posted: 9/24/2012 1:13:41 PM
The general physical issues the poster presents work with both sexes. Women generally shun a thin guy in favour of a larger hulking football player type. These more desirable men do the same thing by preferring thin women who look like models. I have witnessed a majority of hulking football player looking men shun women who are larger. This behaviour seems widespread.

Yet in comparison I've noticed very few thin women with equally thin men. They are overwhelmingly paired with larger specimens by their own choice. It seems the same for thin men....they are generally paired with women who are larger than them. I'm not sure if that is their ideal choice of these thin men, or these larger women, or if it is something they settle for. If given their choice, would these thin men prefer thin women, and likewise, would these larger women prefer larger men?

I am a firm believer in the 'opposites attract' idea, and I think many times this applies to body types. Personally, I would prefer someone my size, that way I could double my wardrobe LOL. But in my life I have gotten far more attention from those women who are larger than me, & that's OK . The original poster seems to feel that because of these examples, it's his manifest destiny to pair with someone thin. Since he hasn't, he has failed. It's really not his choice, though it seems. It appears women engage in the same behaviour generally that men do, which is judge and choose by personal physical appearance preferences.
 hozo
Msg: 20 (view)

The Pain of being a skinny guy.
Posted: 9/23/2012 2:31:25 PM
We are not 'skinny'. We are normal. This is what a normal human being is supposed to look like. Half of the planet's population looks like us. The other half that doesn't look like us is somewhat overweight.

I am the same size I was when I was teenager. Thank goodness for that.....at my age I do myself a favour and work to maintain this form. I have none of the health issues shared by those who are chronically larger. Its a blessing, not a pain.
 hozo
Msg: 11 (view)

Water leak issue
Posted: 9/23/2012 2:12:19 PM
Does your basement have a block wall and concrete floor? If so you can construct a dam, or 'levee' of sorts to contain water.

If water is leaking through in a small area, buy a roll of plastic Saran wrap, and a bag or two of cheap kitty litter. Lay long strips of Saran wrap flat on the ground, overlappng each other, eventually forming a U shape around where the water is leaking onto the floor. Then pour the kitty litter onto the Saran wrap in a narrow line in the middle of the sheets, making sure there is equal distance of plastic wrap sticking out both the sides of where the line of litter is. Wrap both of the sides up & around the litter, forming a 'piggy', or tube of litter.

The weight of the litter will seal the plastic wrap onto the floor, making a fairly water-tight seal. water will be contained inside this 'dam'.
 hozo
Msg: 38 (view)

Causing a war against type 1 and 2 diabetics.
Posted: 8/18/2012 2:20:03 PM

No one needs to eat 300g of carbohydrates a day (lots of athletes survive on low carb diets and still perform well),

That is the key, and most people don't realise that. I have been following a lower-carb diet since the 1990s, at the direction of a very enightened doctor. The few things he instilled in me is the typical North American diet consists of not only high glycemic processed bad carbs, but the quantity consumed is far too high. The only way you can process that amount of carbs is if you were a tri-athlete. Most North Americans do not hit anywhere the level of metabolism to burn them without experiencing high insulin levels.

I think one problem people have is that they don't realise that what they previously thought was safe and sensible consumption of carbs is un-safe and un-sensible. Once they become insulin resistant, it is almost too late and agressive action is in order.

I was told to monitor everything I ate for a week, and compare the carb versus protein ratio. He predicted that I was consuming far more carbs versus protein, and he was right. I was instructed to try to balance my carb/protein equally by lowering my carb intake, replacing them with sensible protein, and only eat sensible carbs, such as whole grain, fruits, legumes, etc. that contained fibre and were low glycemic, and avoid the 4 "whites".

This simple approach works very well, and is easy to follow.
 hozo
Msg: 35 (view)

Causing a war against type 1 and 2 diabetics.
Posted: 8/18/2012 7:55:38 AM

His carbohydrate consumption has always come from bread, potatoes, etc. and while to a normal person perhaps it is to excess, given the fact that he is highly active I hardly see it as being the causative factor.

You realise that is a causitive factor. You have mentioned 2 of the 4 worst carbs to ingest.

The rule of thumb is avoid the "whites" : white sugar, white flour, white potatoes, white rice. These are among the worst carbs with the highest glycemic index.

It doesn't matter a whit whether he only consumes 2 of these 4.....what matters is the amount and frequency of intake. Bad carbs are bad carbs, no matter which you select to eat. If you eat 4 potatoes and 4 slices of bread per day, it is no different to your body than consuming a litre of soda. It has the same effect generally. Your body is flooding the cells with insulin due to eating quantities of these high glycemic foods, and insulin resistance is incrementally happening every time you engage in this behaviour.
 hozo
Msg: 12 (view)

Car Trouble -battery to be specific
Posted: 8/2/2012 6:23:12 AM

Once you have your multimeter, turn off the car, disconnect the negative battery cable, set your multimeter to the 10 or 20 amp setting, and then measure the current between the negative battery cable, and negative battery post. If any devices are drawing power from the battery, it will show up here. If it's more than 25-50 milli-amps, then you definitely have a power loss somewhere. To find out where, you remove the fuses one by one, until the power loss jumps back down into the normal range. And whatever is running off that fuse is your culprit.

That is what it sounds like to me. It could be 3 things:

~There is a small power draw whilst the key is off. Something is drawing down the battery slowly.

~The battery is old & cannot hold a deep charge anymore. It will hold just enough to start the vehicle when used daily.

~The charging system/alternator is faulty and is not charging the battery. You will know this after driving the car, shutting it off, and trying to restart it. If the battery is dead after driving, it was depleted due to not being recharged during operation.

I have a 20 yr old convertible that has a small power draw somewhere. If I run it daily or a few times a week it stays charged. If it sits longer than a week, it draws dead. I cannot figure out for the life of me where it is coming from, so I installed an on/off battery post switch that disconnects the positive terminal . I simply lift the hood & turn the switch OFF when Im done driving it for a spell. $5 fix.
 hozo
Msg: 37 (view)

Are the forums helpful for dating?
Posted: 12/5/2011 6:21:55 AM

I nearly left POF entirely when the forums link was removed, but lingered primarily for the intellectual exercise offered here along with the diversion from my daily life. Now that the link has been restored, I once again find myself making new contacts that are so far at the conversational level, but who knows?

I agree. It adds another dimension to someone's profile. You get to see another side what makes them tick other than their pre-selected profile description.

It also helps others to see you in the same light. I have had others contact me soley on points of discussion from my postings. If your postings tend to show likes and/or dislikes in certain topics, that can weed out, or weed in - selecitve people who agree, or disagree with what you believe. It can only help, no matter whether it is advantageous, or disadvantageous.
 hozo
Msg: 45 (view)

Best Guitar Still...or the one that got away.
Posted: 11/29/2011 5:45:11 PM
The one I've owned for over 35 years, & still the best today - my 1974 Fender Telecaster Deluxe, with super low action, fat Les Paul-type frets & those 2 huge oversized Seth Lover-designed humbuckers....on the short list of being one of the best humbuckers ever made.
 hozo
Msg: 25 (view)

Hot water tanks
Posted: 9/2/2011 6:17:48 AM

When I switch the breaker on my COLD tank, BOTH elements are powered up & heating until temp is reached. You can plainly hear both top and bottom elements churning, roiling, hissing when on. I assume I am using 20 amperes per leg?

Your assumption is incorrect. if both elements were on at the same time, and each element was rated at 4.5 KW, each leg would now be carrying close to 41 amps each. (Assuming a 220 volt source of course.) I have real doubts about you being able to hear both elements being on at the same time. In the mean time, if you're interested, there are ways to actually test and confirm your results.

Blimey, you are right, according to what you said, & what I also found online. Here is a cut & paste:

Both elements are never 'on' at same time unless tank is wired for other purpose (see owners manual). This is called 'non-simultaneous operation' since both elements are not 'on' at same time.

Either upper element is 'on' or lower element is 'on,' or both are off.

BUT...I switched my tank on again for about 30 seconds, and put an ear directly on BOTH covers of both upper & lower elements, and they both are making the obvious same very specific localised noise, top and bottom. You can actually hear them both without putting your ear up to them....just standing a few feet away they both are audible in my quiet basement. I am now curious, and unless I remove the covers and test with a voltmetre, I may never know!

Upper thermostat is main controller: it turns on upper element until top of tank reaches temperature, and then sends power to lower thermostat. Lower thermostat heats bottom of tank, and turns on and off to maintain tank temperature during standby hours when no hot water is being used.

This explains why my old tank with a burnt-out bottom element worked fine for a 10 minute shower. It may just be simpler to unwire the bottom element for people like me, or the OP, thus using about half the electricity as compared to the full dual element standby mode. If you only turn your tank on periodically & shut it off after a short time, it's the top element doing all the heating....the bottom element is never powered up using this practise.
 hozo
Msg: 22 (view)

Hot water tanks
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:57:25 PM
I am guessing that all the OP wants to do is find out if he can save $20-$30/month by switching off his existing tank for periods of time. Since he can, I am sure he is not going to spend $500 installing a tankless unit complete with new heavy gauge wiring, pump, holding tank and corresponding additional breaker, for the same reason that I don't need to. We both can attain fairly generous savings being creative with our existing appliance by merely flipping a $10 breaker when needed.

About the only thing not specifically pointed out is the fact that all of these standard HWH have two 4.5KW elements as well as thermostat for each one. The beauty of the first T-stat at the top element is that it functions as the master T-stat. 4500 watts divided by 220 V = 20.454545 amps.
That's why almost every person out there with this type of standard HWH will find it connected to a 2 Pole 30 amp breaker in their panel box. The lower element is still waiting for it's turn and once the master T-stat becomes satisfied, a switch then engages the other half of the 220 and sends it to the slave T-stat Down Under.

When I switch the breaker on my COLD tank, BOTH elements are powered up & heating until temp is reached. You can plainly hear both top and bottom elements churning, roiling, hissing when on. I assume I am using 20 amperes per leg. Is that probably because all the water in the tank is cold?

When you turn on the hot tap, hot water flows out of the tank from the top, but at the same time cold water is taking its place, flowing into the tank at the bottom. It all works on upflow from the bottom. While in use, there can be several "layers" of water in your tank at varying tempertures.

Hot water rises, & cold water sinks, so while you are drawing hot from the top, the cold at the bottom is accumulating, which causes the bottom element to kick on.

I can turn on my COLD tank for only 5 minutes, and have a small amount(5 gallons or so) of fairly hot water to shower with. The top element heats a small amount of water at the top quickly, which is fairly close to the hot water outlet of the tank. This hot water exits the top of the tank and into your piping directly. The bottom element will take much longer to heat the remaining 30-40 gallons of cold water to temp, thus me running out of hot water after using 5 or so gallons with my 5 minute setup.

The bottom element on my old tank burned out, and I used it like that for over a year. The only drawback was you couldnt take a 20-30 minute shower. I ran out of hot water after 10 minutes. The only reason I installed a new tank was because the old one started leaking from the bottom. That is what gave me the idea of switching my new tank on only when needed.

If I felt ambitious, I could unwire the bottom element, mimicking my old tank, with the same results probably.
 hozo
Msg: 10 (view)

Hot water tanks
Posted: 8/31/2011 12:15:47 PM
In most homes, the electric hot water tank is the appliance that uses the most electricity....by far. Only an electric furnace, or perhaps using multiple elements on your electric range uses more, but the hot water tank cycles automatically on/off 24/7, unlike most appliances.

The EnergyGuide sticker on my newer tank shows it costs $503/year to operate. That is $40-$50/month just for that 1 appliance, and it is a smaller 40 gallon unit. In comparison, the EnergyGuide sticker on my small chest freezer shows that it costs $39/year to operate.

Most homes have 55 gallon or larger tanks, which would consume much more electricity. Most tanks draw 30-50 amperes when on. That's alot of juice. That is probably more consumption by itself than all your lights, TVs, small appliances, etc. combined. That is how is is in my home, even with my smaller tank.
 Hozo

Hot water tanks
Posted: 8/31/2011 4:56:23 AM

To any electricians on here.....
Can I save some money on electricity by unplugging my hot water tank after taking a shower, then plugging it back in an hour before I take a shower? Yes.... it's an electric water heater

I have been doing this off and on for over 2 years now, and my electric bill dropped by almost 1/3. Here are a few observations:

~I live alone, and take short 5 minute "military" showers, in which I run the water until hot, get wet, shut the tap, soap up & shampoo, then turn on the tap & rinse. I probably use less than 5 gallons of water per shower.

~If I shut off the breaker after fully heating the tank, my 40 gallon tank will keep the water hot enough for a shower for nearly 3 days. Every day the water gets a little cooler, so I must adjust the faucet's hot/cold ratio. By the 3rd day, I am tapping the hot side fully, & it is luke-warm. I do have a newer heater, less than 2 years old, so it is better insulated than older units.

~Here is the sweet part: After exhausting ALL hot water, I can flip the breaker back on for 5 MINUTES just before my shower, shut it off again, & that 5 minutes will heat the top 5-10 gallons of water hot enough for a comfortable 5 minute shower.

~So basically, I run my tank less than 5 minutes per day when I am here. I am not home alot...probably averaging out to 5 days per week here, & 2 days gone. When I leave for a weekend, etc, I dont power the tank.

I have a gas stove & furnace, so my major electric appliances are the hot water tank, fridge, & compact chest freezer. My electric bill for July was $37. It is rarely over $100, & that is the dead of winter . My yearly average around $60.

I suggest experimenting with it at least. You wont hurt anything trying.
 hozo
Msg: 5 (view)

omelets
Posted: 8/23/2011 6:28:43 PM

First of all use a good non stick pan, second make sure egg mixture is beaten well, third to make a fluffy omlette add a bit of water to the eggs but not too much that it gets watery, 4th be sure to preheat your pan but then cook the omlette on a medium low heat, 5th cook your omlette with a cover to cook evenly, 6th saute any hard veggies first so you dont end up with undercooked veggies or over cooked eggs, finally dont over do your cheese remember when you fold over your omlette there will be 2x the amount

Sounds to me like the original poster is not using a lid to cover the omelette, as suggested above. The top of the omelette will stay soft & soupy, whilst the underside burns. I like to use a small skillet(8") and use a lid that is a bit smaller than the skillet. That way the lid sits closer to the egg which keeps the trapped heat closer to the omelette surface, and also keeps the lid from making an airtight fit....that way moisture can escape which will make for a firmer omelette. A glass se--thru lid will let you see what is happening. Resist the urge to lift a metal lid every 30 seconds to take a look - this defeats the purpose of the lid!

Another tip I use is putting whatever ingredients you are going to use in your omelette in the pan & saute them UNCOVERED first with a bit of oil, butter, etc BEFORE adding the egg mixture. Cook the mix just a few minutes in order to soften them up, then pour the beaten egg mixture on top, and cover it. This will also 'cook' out any unwanted excess moisture that would otherwise cause a runny omelette.
 hozo
Msg: 89 (view)

What's So Hot About Long Hair?
Posted: 5/14/2011 5:01:07 PM

As far as for people my age, I think it has to do with youthfulness. Men like younger looking women. I had always read, when I was younger, that older women did not look good with long or longish hair and needed to have shorter hair when they got older. I am now 59 and my hair is the same length it has always been, medium length/shoulder length. It doesn't look wierd or inappropriate for me, being 59.

Good point.
It seems you see more women 50+ years of age with long hair than you ever saw from our parents' generation at this same age. I think its related to being a baby boomer & growing up in the 60s. Women of our parents generation automatically cut their hair after 30 or so & morphed into that familiar looking bubble-do similar to "Mama" on the Carol Burnett Show. It seemed a rite of passage into middle age, & to me it seemed to define that you WERE middle aged. It was part of the socially accepted uniform of the age. Grandmas are supposed to look like Grandmas, right?

Of course I love longer hair on women of any age, but especially older. A middle aged woman with longer hair looks & seems younger to me versus the short conformist bubble-do wearers.
 hozo
Msg: 51 (view)

UNIONS UNDER ATTACK
Posted: 2/28/2011 1:25:12 PM

I will say it again management carries the responsibility of negotiating contracts and has the responsibility to make sure that the people who do the work earn their pay checks, blaming the worker union or not is nothing but a cop out.

If your business fails who is responsible, your employees?

Good point. Let me share a personal experience:

The steel mill that I worked at was in financial straits due to many factors: illegal imports, offshore dumping, material costs, OSHA & EPA regulations and mandates, etc. Our union was aware of all of this and knew the very existence of the company was at stake. We negotiated pay and benefits cuts of around 33%, and also negotiated work rule changes, so that workers would assume more duties(multi-crafting, etc). We also negotiated a large reduction of several thousand in the workforce through early retirements of those who qualified, and layoffs for those who werent.

We were one of the first steelworker unions to buck the established trend and do this.

The company presented a long range plan and we worked within their plan to acheive their goals of cutting losses and returning to profitability. We felt that we were all in this together.

In leiu of our sacrifices, the company issued us remaining employees shares of company stock quarterly as an incentive reward system. Many stipulations were put in place concerning this issuance; we could not sell any of it for the duration of the labor contract, and when the time came, we could only sell a certain percentage of it. We all agreed to this in good faith negotiations. In due time I owned 1374 share of stock valued at $13 per share.

Media releases were issued showing the progress of this cost-saving effort. Even though we were still losing money as a company, certain factors due to our contractual changes were itemised to show the cost savings of these sacrifices. Things were looking somewhat rosy, and the company painted a somewhat rosy picture of the future.

Within a year or so of the deadline when we were able to sell stock, the company, in a surprise move, abruptly filed chapter 11 bankruptcy, terminated our pension plan, liquidated assets, and sold the the company. In one felled swoop, my 1374 shares of stock became mere pieces of paper, our pension that the company promised us in good faith was eliminated, along with the pensions of all past retired employees, and those workers who opted for early retirement through attrition, and best of all, the cost savings that we realised through our sacrifices funded millions of dollars in severance packages for upper management along with millions of dollars in golden parachutes for the president, his 13 vice presidents, and dozens more of their friends in various executive and upper management positions.

The essence of the company's survival and those connected to it was swallowed by corporate greed

So in spite of unions, companies usually fail for many other reasons, none of which is our fault.

Show ALL Forums