Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Oddball is great!!!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 174 (view)

Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:25:35 AM
Pet people are comfortable around other pet people, city people - city people, Republicans (Conservaties) with Republicans, etc, etc. Each comes with their own set of responsibilities, outlooks, etc. Look for similarities in these things rather than differences. Easy smeasy! Square pegs don't go so good with round holes ..... Have fun lighten up a bit!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 3 (view)

What really happens on a POF date?
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:12:06 AM
Well I am not sure I would call the first meeting a date. I think in many cases it is a get to see the other person in real life thing. You chat, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, and then meet. The first ten meet ups I had - nothing - figured it was all in the past for me. And then whamo!

And yes there are many men who treat POF as a meat market. Ignore them and don't let it bother you too much. Gets too bad - take a break for awhile! Comes and goes.

As for a first date - well that depends on the meet up. As we get older it is likely to be a more relaxed thing - dinner and conversation. You know things are going well when the times flies and there is lots of laughter!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 5 (view)

Getting no responses?!
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:06:09 AM
Be patient. There is no telling when you will find a person who wants to communicate. Comes and goes. And certainly don't get down in the mouth about it at all. If you get the feeling people are making judgements that can lead to a black tunnel. A lot aren't making judgements on you, they just have other preferences.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 82 (view)

Where are all the Aging Stoners?
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:02:02 AM
Wow - from a potentially interested thread this one sure got off topic. Up here in Canada lots of old stoners around - and I thinking of responsible users not abusers. And lots don't mention it, and 420 is almost unknown. And there are many who choose to say they are not users for a whole range or reasons. I was over at a woman's the other day for Thanksgiving dinner and the subject came up - she was shocked - we had never discussed it. Big in the Anglican Church - so just figured it was not her thing! I think as legalization spreads - could be within in a year right across the country in Canada - it will become more socially acceptable to say you imbibe!
 jim in nb
Msg: 78 (view)

your personal theme song
Posted: 4/28/2013 8:00:18 AM
I'm Free by the Stones - maybe in a slightly different vein - more like free of all the things that come with family, free of worry about the rest of my life, free (well pretty soon) of work .... I really like the 1969 Oakland version

Spanish Pipedream - John Prine - how I want to live the rest of my life!!
 jim in nb
Msg: 126 (view)

Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?
Posted: 4/28/2013 7:49:27 AM
Seems to be a lot of paranio about Facebook. Is Big Brother really that bad? Live your life and don't worry unless you have something to hide. Life is way too short. I enjoy FB book I use to meet my needs - friends, family, some interesting groups .... If you are concerned about ID theft I would be more worried about financial transactions and what that actually tells the people who are looking at selling you something. It is pretty amazing how it is all getting linked but I do not see that as a problem. Maybe this thread has pulled in lots of those kinds of people who we would have claimed generation gap 35 years ago!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 35 (view)

Lonliest Single Seniors To Come.
Posted: 5/6/2010 10:30:43 AM
Getting back to talking about being by yourself as a senior - for some it will be lonely, others not ....

I think we live our lifes and manage our expectations based on the role models in our lives - for most of us that means primarily our parents, but also other relatives and good friends.

And I am starting to come to understand that loniliness is also something that is an acquired thing, picked from examples we have seen. Of course it is not quite as black and white as those written words seem to make it.

As I reflect on my expereinces and my role models. Both my parents moved far away from families but were incredibly close - just being physically close doesn't make you a close knit family. We spend lots of time alone - up at a cottage with few friends or neighbours close by, Dad only coming up for 2 weeks holidays and weekends for the 10 week summer. Mom and Dad moving to the Malaysia while I was in high school. Then me moving away from family after high school and moving around but not moving back close to family. We visit and talk and are close and can count on each other in a minute. My Dad passed away in 1979 and Mom just passed away this January - 30 years by herself! But Mom was never lonely - always friends and family in the right amounts. Mom was never lonely - outlived lots of friends, and then new friends but along with Dad what an example they set.

I would like to find someone to share the next 40 years with but if I don't I will never be lonely - too many good friends and family and alot of warm memories that make up my life, a very fulfilled live so far with no lesser expectations for the rest of it ...
 Jim in NB
Msg: 110 (view)

Overrated Bands.
Posted: 5/6/2010 7:46:08 AM
Everything is relative with over-rating. What consitutues a band - a group of people that get together occassionally in a studio or even independantly in a studio and puts music together or one that goes out there and plays live for their fans. And of course it is all in our realm of experience with music and the music of any band. To me the most over rated and over hyped are the Beatles. They are fantastic and I love to listen to them but they couldn't keep it together and get along and after all that is what life is about.

And to me one of the underrated bands is the Stones. Wow. Look at the commerical available stuff and all the best ofs ... yes that is over hyped but get into the boots - the outtakes, live concerts, the evolution of interplay between Keith and Brian, then Mick Taylor and onto Ronnie Woods. Makes me real look forward to who is going to replace Ronnie? Another true lead guitarist like Mick Taylor (ie Eric Clapton) or someone who like Ronnie Woods can weave back and forther with Keith between lead and rthym - I could get lost listening to that for days!

Another favourite of mine that I think has been overrated is Zep. Great, great band but no where near the legend that the music press makes them out to be.

Maybe that is the biggest part of over hype - the machine and fans of the various bands. Well should get back to work!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 149 (view)

The role of texting in a relationship when you're over 45
Posted: 5/6/2010 7:23:44 AM
Guess I am a dinosaur but texting to me seems like something for people who have ADHD to the extreme. God we are over 45! Let's relax a bit! Me, I take it a couple of steps further than that. I do not have a cell phone and rarely answer the phone at home. The guys at work have given me pagers and cell phones but I either give them away or leave them in my desk drawer. Take, leave a message. Plan you life and live it! Really makes me wonder how these people ever got thru life before this. I can remember (hell I still live life this way) when you made plans and kept them and didn't change everything all the time. And life was alot more fun then in the sense of relaxing and enjoying stuff. It is amazing how calming not being a slave to technology can be!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 1 (view)

Live Music in 2010
Posted: 3/29/2010 9:59:04 AM
Some dates announced and lots of rumours flying. What have you heard

Gordon Lightfoot this Sunday night at Harbour Station - saw 2 floor tickets on Kijiji last week for $100!

Tay Creek Folk Festival 13-15 May

Valdy coming to the Charlotte Street Arts Centre 22 Sept

420 Club at MacBeth Lake alternating weekends starting May 8th

Rumours I have heard

The Who and Eric Clapton-Jeff Beck both coming to Halifax Commons (I think different dates)

Springsteen with ZZ Top opening to Magnetic Hill (announcement rumoured to be coming this week)

U2 to Magnetic Hill (this is an annual rumour)

Stones not touring this year but look for them to be on the road with one of Mick Taylor (heading to the Studio with Mick Jagger later this year) or Eric Clapton to replace Ronnie Woods.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 75 (view)

battling mid life bulge!
Posted: 3/10/2010 3:40:33 PM
Serenitycw above and Blueeyes "The whole thing is about making lifestyle changes and attitude and behavior" hit on good points. Big thing it is lifestyle (read eating) changes and accepting the fact that you are responsible for it and you have to work with what you have. Results worth acheiving will take some time - you don't change 50 years of eating habits in a month - but are well worth aiming for. I have been at it for a while with a set back after Christmas but back on track again. Hopefully I have the worst of the changes I have to make over with and am now making the long term positive changes required. Sure is fun looking at a whole new pile of recipies!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 173 (view)

Dating in Your 50's - Is It Tough?
Posted: 3/1/2010 7:47:25 AM
I think dating in your 50's has it's ebbs and flows. Regardless of the expereinces we are drawn back to it I think with the objective of finding someone to share time and experiences with becuase that makes life so much more rewarding. A key thing that has been raised numerous times though is feeling good about yourself and the person dating feeling good about themselves. And then as things move along still feeling good about yourself and your dating partner.

We all have things we find difficult and for me the difficult part can be the ending of a budding relationship with a women. When you know it doesn't have long term potential it is probably time to move along. Two women I dated were really hurt by the ending of budding relationships and that it turn made me feel like such a heel. I have been on the other end too and prefer that than the other. It makes me think about giving up dating competely. Thank god I have made a few female friends from this site who I can chat about these things. Nice to be told that I'm full of it by people I consider friends - it's comforting!! LOL.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 27 (view)

Should I stand up and fight cause I don't agree with meds for kids?Lazy parents is all!
Posted: 3/1/2010 7:27:09 AM
Lots of different expereinces with kids - let me pass on the expereince with the oldest. Was diaganosed ADHD big time when he was four. You could see him start climbing the walls if he had a coke or sugar. We fed him apple juice thinking that was better and it was but still was a wandering mind and spirit. Ex took him to a Doc who made the diagnosis and added the opinion - "don't waste your time on him, he will be in jail by the time he is 16". That got the ex motivated. She did alot of research and put us all on the Feingold Diet. It worked like a charm. Just type it into Google and you can get lots of info. Tonnes of work and requires alot of dedication but well worth it. Turns out one of the foods that triggered David's ADHD was apple juice! David graduated honours in high school, got his university degree and is happily married. Not one dose of ritalin for him. This was a truley great thing my ex did. Well worth looking into.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 480 (view)

What a man over 45 looks for in a relationship.
Posted: 12/30/2009 2:17:25 AM
First off a friend. I think the the mating part of a relationship (the having kids part) is no longer relevant other than a woman who has demonstratable proof that she can be a good parent - good kids (not perfect). Next, someone who is not caught up with themselves too much or the world too much. It is really hard to look at the world and see any kind of common sense around today. Two big examples - the over reaction to airline security and Tiger Woods. Let's get real. And most of all for me - someone who is comfortable with who she is as a person - that she doesn't feel the need to live up to anyone standards but her own. A nice smile sure helps too! And for sure little or preferably no war paint!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 649 (view)

Men over 45 and facial hair
Posted: 12/30/2009 2:11:01 AM
How about some pratical comments on facial hair - just got back from walking Jake my dog. -26 celsuis or -17 Fahrenheit out this morning with the wild chill. Really nice to have a beard to block the wind. And it is only going to get colder as the winter goes on. Of course nothing like the Prairies or Artic here but still a beard is nice for these cool mornings walking the dog! As much as the beard is really pratical at this time of year and I enjoy, I think I enjoy shaving it coming spring when the warm winds start to blow from the south again!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 53 (view)

Christmas present, Christmas past.
Posted: 12/25/2009 10:50:16 AM
Merry Chirstmas Everyone

Well kids are with their Mom today - we alternate on a yearly basis were the kids spend Christmas = they will be home early tomorrow morning and we will celebrate Christman then - otherwise I would not be on here today! LOL

Decroating - it has slowed down a bit with the kids getting older but the spirit burns alive and bright. Sharing cards and calls and visits with friends and the special memories of Christmases past and the hope of Christmases future ...

And today, this day alone, fells like an absolute bonus day. I have been puttering around the house listening to alot of my favourite music - Van Morrison on now - and I have such a wonderful peaceful feeling I wish this day could last forever ...

Merry Christmas to you all!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 79 (view)

Do you separate the art from the artist?
Posted: 12/17/2009 4:00:33 AM
Well Mollie looks like you need another trip to the Main Building!

Back on subejct about art and the artist.

If you like art you like it - whether it be visual, theatrical, musical or whatever kind of art gives a feeling - enjoy it. You run the risk of having your appreciation of the art you like infleunced by the character of the artist if you dig into her/his character. Sometimes you can't miss it - Polanski, Jackson, Keith Richards, etc the list goes on and on. If you like the art, the artist's background is irrelevant. If you don't like the art somehow the artist's character defencies explain it all! LOL!! We are only human eh?
 Jim in NB
Msg: 620 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2009 11:48:35 PM
Beardsicle! Haven't had one of those since I lived on the Prairies - looks like good weather out there for that right now. That is one thing I don't miss about the Prairies - the cold. Probably get more moustachesicles in cold weather due to breathing out the nose - that cold air can be pretty hard on the lungs if you breathe thru your mouth. And moustachecicles - they're not that bad, although I have never kissed with them - that would be different eh?
 Jim in NB
Msg: 615 (view)

Posted: 12/13/2009 1:55:02 PM
With winter coming on and walking the dog in the early morning the beard stays!! Too pratical!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 91 (view)

Sex is sex and we no longer need to give or receive affection? What has happened to our age group?
Posted: 12/12/2009 2:44:05 AM
No longer see public affection - get your eyes open - it is there - maybe not two people throwing themselves at each other but in many cases simple gestures - holding hands, an intimate smile. There is quite a variety in people out there - always have been = some just want to kcuf and other want to make love - and there is every shade in between. Too each their own - from my expereince, too bad for those who want sex just for sex, but hope they also have intimate relations so they know that feeling too.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 24 (view)

Friday nights, happy to be alone at our age
Posted: 12/12/2009 2:33:56 AM
I enjoyed last night immensely by myself, my 16 year son gone off with his Mom for the weekend. Some of those Fridays are out raising a bit of hell or spending with friends, but the ones spent at home, thoroughly enjoying my own company, are pretty treasured times. And as much as I enjoy the forums, those Friday nights are away from the computer just enjoying things. A few ceasars and little smoke and a good meal and a real good night's sleep. What a great way to spend a Friday night!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 61 (view)

The Value of Silence
Posted: 12/9/2009 2:30:13 PM
Had this kind of expereince with a best friend who was the best man at my wedding many years ago. We could literally spend an entire day doing stuff together and need only a handful of words the whole day. It amazed people to see it - used to baffle the ex and Jeff's wife. Haven't had anything like that since but it was a wonderful friendship. It was in Northern Ontario - Wawa - Jeff my friend was 40, I was 23 - he worked for me but with me and was a Vietnam Vet with the US Airforce. An amazing guy and a great friend to this day.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 2 (view)

Has Spock Visited the NB Forums?
Posted: 12/8/2009 1:20:36 AM
Morning - yes the NB forums have been a little slow. Used to be alot more interesting. Hard to say why - but I guess that is part of the ebb and flow of life eh?
 Jim in NB
Msg: 8 (view)

AHHHH SANTA!
Posted: 12/6/2009 4:37:10 AM
Take your time with your kids, talk to them before hand, make an event out of it, not just something you do while passing by. I have had three kids and they have all loved Santa's - sometimes a little nervous but that is okay. We alot of kids this is their first real expereince with someone who be akin to a hero - try to understand it from their perspective and you can avoid alot of the histeria that we all see on a yearly basis. But mostly have fun, smile and don't be in a rush!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 15 (view)

dogs and kids.. your views
Posted: 12/6/2009 4:19:28 AM
Kids and dogs ... great mix. Have had three kids and six dogs since I left home. The best dogs around kids, bar none, are golden retrievers. We have had two pure breeds and two mixed breeds. An image will always stand out in my mind about goldens and kids. All my kids spent lots of time in the jolly jumpers - my daughter Laura had some kind of reflex where she invariably chucked up a bit. Sandy would very patiently clean Laura up while she was bouncing like a mad man. Right now I have a cross between a shepard and a golden. Big boy and doesn't know his own strength. We got him at six months old from family with three kids under five. Jake's enthusiam and movement must have created a few tense moments, not becuase he is viscous - he is a big suck, but from even gently bumping little ones. Think stairs here even after the kids have gotten use to them and the safety barriers have come down. I guess you have to fit your dog to were you live - Jake would not be the right choice in a city, just like a lap dog would probably have a rough go running around in the woods with wild things. But important get a pet in your house with kids and get them to understand looking after it and the rewards it brings.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 1 (view)

Has Spock Visited the NB Forums?
Posted: 12/6/2009 3:24:51 AM
Well used to spend quite a bit of time in the forums and the NB one, although a little slower than the others, used to have some interesting posts and things going on. What has happened? Sure looks like Spock has beeen here and beamed up all the intelligent people, or atleast most of them. Merry Christmas
 Jim in NB
Msg: 46 (view)

Book Suggestions
Posted: 12/6/2009 3:20:43 AM
Don't waste your time on Johnny Bower's latest autiobio even if it's on the remainder pile for $1. I am a big Leafs fan but even I found that book bad, in fact the second worst read other than James Clavell's novel about Iran.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 14 (view)

Shallow or self preserving?
Posted: 12/6/2009 3:18:30 AM
I think you have to look at what you want more before youthink about the question you should be asking. Key point that you, if everything else you say is accurate, is that you do not want to give up your financial independence. You are the only one that can give that up and it is a concious choice. I was in a similar situation except genders were reversed. With a little planning and smart choices and no compromises on what the kids and I need, the end result was liking winning the lottery. Sounds like you may be heading that way too. Becareful however about what kind of bank account you are looking for. You want someone who is financially responsible not someone with deep pockets. There are alot of idiots with deep pockets and a fair number who make significant personal compromises chasing the dollar. I think you may find those people way worse than economic basket cases.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 67 (view)

Did you think life would be like this at 50?
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:29:35 PM
I don't ever recall thinking about what life would be at fifty. But now that is here it is wonderful. Sure I am not in a permanent relationship, but the adventure of life is continuing to unfold and it feels great. For the most part it is a continous sense of contentment with those moments and days of shear happiness. Had one of those completely unexpected last Saturday. Life can be wonderful if you let it! Appreciate the moment, who you are, your family and friends, and life is wonderful regardless of what age you are at!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 68 (view)

Why are we in such a hurry?
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:22:39 PM
Like so many I agree that society is in way too much of a rush and it is difficult to keep yourself disengaged from it at times and to slow down and enjoy the voyage. When it comes to relationships, everyone is different, runs at it's own speed depending on a number of things. I have been in both the rush to the boil and more gradually developing relationships. I have come to the realization that each one is it's own special experience. It will be great to find that relationship that continues to grow and develop, say for the next thirty or more years.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 30 (view)

How to Celebrate the Holidays when in a new relationship
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:01:35 PM
First thing would be to talk it over with your new interest. It would be pretty presumptious to make the decision unilaterly. I think if you are both without families to spend the holiday with, it could be pretty straightforward. If kids are involved, even teenagers, you have to respect the traditions of each family. Keep it upbeat and respect each other without putting too much expectations and it should be alot of fun. As far as gifts and stuff like that, if you have exhcanged messages, enjoyed and got along on the first few get togethers, then you are probably spending time with someone who has the same expectations and ideals which probably extends to the holidays. If in doubt, share and ask. Merry Christmas!
 Jim in NB

Live Music in NB 2009
Posted: 8/25/2009 9:07:41 AM
John Prine wonderful again last night in Sackville - although the venue was not up to the same standards as the playhouse and you could hear Prine's voice had gotten weaker. But none the less a fantastic evening. Sure hope a bootleg of one his Maritime concerts comes online again!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 17 (view)

C.D. vs Vinyl....
Posted: 8/23/2009 3:11:08 AM
Neither - digital is the way to go boys. The complete multi room systems are here now but expensive - you can rig your own up if you really need it. But when I look at my pile of albums, pile of cassettes and pile of CDs and then look at a 500 gb usb harddrive I am appalled by the waste of resources in those albums, tapes and CDs let alone the room needed to store them. The 500g hard drive can go anywhere and will store over 2000 albums at a pretty good quality. As for the comments about how you first listened to music and how it sounded by Balboa 4U - can relate to that too. Maybe the solution is to find a means to digitize the sound from those older albums!
 Jim in NB

Live Music in NB 2009
Posted: 8/18/2009 2:21:44 AM
Harry Chapin was absolutely wonderful last night. Carrie Rodriguez was great too. Harry's two fellow musicians were an absolutely wonderful complement to his voice and guitar. I beleive there are still seats available in Sackville for next Monday = you do not want to miss this guy! (Stompin Tom was pretty good two weeks ago too!)
 Jim in NB
Msg: 13 (view)

Live Music in NB 2009
Posted: 7/21/2009 5:33:13 PM
Still tickets available for John Prine in Sackville, Toronto and Ottawa - everywhere else sold out!

Too bad about Koko Taylor - would have loved to seen her and heard Wang Dang Doodle.

Still tonnes of good music coming this year!!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 101 (view)

Are his/her music tastes important to you?
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:54:37 PM
Music is important to me - I listen to it a lot and alot of different types - don't get rap or anything that is a commercial thing or based on a formula - thinking here to lots of stuff in the 60s and alot of current country. I like to choose my music and not listen to the radio - may have listened to the radio for about 2 hours in the last ten years (okay radio here in NB is really really really really really bad). Live music is always best and I would love to be able to play an instrument but have the music talent of a rock! Would a partners music tastes be important - somewhat but if the connection was there on a lot of other levels, no way could music be a deal breaker. I am sure both I and she could become aware of alot of music that would be new to us. Of course it would be real good if she liked the Stones - I have 138 different CDs - long life bootlegs!!!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 85 (view)

The type of person you are looking for
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:40:25 PM
Am I attracted to different types of women? ... yes in some ways

I have always been at least stocky - big bones. I purposefully looked for a woman who was not small when I was younger thinking about marriage and a family. I was in love in college with a woman who was small - I could put my hands around her hips and without squeezing real hard, could touch my fingers and thumbs together. I can remember it scaring me thinking what a woman so small would have to go thru, giving birth to a large child. Yes looking back on it, I was really naive to the point of being a dumbass then, but just a kid.

When you look for something or one thing you make some compromises - we all do and their is nothing wrong with it.

Many of the same things attract me now that did then. Some one who enjoys living rural and at least has at some time in their life so they know what it means to be 30 minutes or an hour away from stuff, or even further - shows a sense of independence. Someone who does not wear alot of war paint - tells me that she is comfortable with who she is and that she is more of a"natural" woman. Someone who faces lights up when she smiles and can laugh, even at stupid stuff. Somehow who likes music, especailly live. But most important of all, someone who, when we meet can talk openly and honestly and feel and share passion about stuff because someone without passion could be a friend, but not a partner! I am sure that is the same for people who are attracted to people with different things going on.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 11 (view)

Live Music in NB 2009
Posted: 5/21/2009 5:18:02 PM
Can't beleive I missed so much over the last few weeks but here the latest I've heard
over and above what everyone else has mentioned

Paul McCartney - Halifax July 11th

Rumour is Aretha Franklin now at the Dutch Mason Blues fest weekend after ACDC but still no formal announcment on line up

Stompin Tom at the Playhouse Aug 9th

John Prine - Playhouse Aug 17th - SOLD OUT - anybody got a couple of extra tickets?
- Saint John 18th August
Charletown 23rd August
Sackville 24th August

Susan Tedeschi - Blues guitarist from Mass for Harvest Blues Fest

Line up of Fredericton outdoor evening series should be out next week

Looks like it is going to be not just a great, but a fantastic summer for music - thank God, Allah & Budha the mortgage is paid off !
 jim in nb
Msg: 34 (view)

Just not going there any more.
Posted: 4/27/2009 3:30:03 PM
Last three posts - Sapphireyes, realistica and ismere2 - great ideas and thoughts you have posted. It would be hard not to imagine not wanting to feel love again and forever - falling in love again after time spent without it is like seeing colours after so much black and white. And Realistica - man oh man - if being a Rebel today means willing to fall in love and expose your being, self and emotions, it is a pretty sad reflection on our society or maybe just those of us in midlife! I think being able to fall in love is to appreciate the simple things and not getting hung up on the complexities of life - accept it for what it is. Smile and be happy, find someone to love and explore life with!! What preceeds may come across as goofy but the three previous posts have reminded me of time I spent with a woman I met here on POF. It was wonderful and magical and I hope that I find it again, and that everyone finds it their life, or even has it rebloom with their long time partners!
 jim in nb
Msg: 67 (view)

Before there was Formula...there was Milk!
Posted: 4/27/2009 2:50:48 PM
Lots of interesting stuff in the post. I think maybe rather than thinking that it's either one way or the other, how about mixing it all up and taking the good that works for you, from everything. After all none of us is as smart as all of us. And now for a few of my own experiences ....

Was last of four kids, a carnation baby, not lactose intolerant, did my share of crazy stuff too from slums of Mexico City to Hong Kong and alot of places in between, ate alot of crazy stuff on dares, did a whole bunch of stuff that should have probably killed me over a few times, on and on ... Plan on living a while yet and only I hope I do not die from some one's anger or stupidity, would be great to die with a smile on my face!

Oldest son - was terriblly ADHD - pediatrician told the ex not to waste too much time on him, that he would be in prison by the time he was 16. The ex got us all on the Feingold Diet - and turns out the thing that triggered the ADHD that we couldn't figure out was APPLE JUICE - a natural ingridientin it set him off. He is lactose intolerant or so the docs say and he drank milk straight from the cow from age 4 to 12 in Saskathcewan! Is 6'5" and wieghs 250lbs. Was never asked to play football. Graduated with Honours from high school, graduated from university, living & married on the other side of the country.

Other two kids very similar stories only they played football are are tiny compared to their older brother. If anyone thinks they can figure things out absolutely about health I cannot help but think they are probably misleading themselves at least a bit.

Kids today - I think the biggest problem they face is not having enought time just to be kids. Society puts so much pressure on them to succeed and accomplish, that it rarely allows them time just to be goofballs, princesses or dumbasses, and that to me, is an important part of being of kid (of any age!!!)

Smile!!!
 jim in nb
Msg: 275 (view)

favourite paintings
Posted: 4/14/2009 3:25:00 PM
Trune North - guess I have to plan on a stop in Ottawa this summer. Have not yet hit the National Gallery. Was in Toronto a couple of times at the Princess Margaret a few years ago but the AGO was going thru renos and not open. McMicheal Gallery is a blast - been there several times. We have a pretty good gallery down here in Fredericton - the Beaverbrook - has some impressive stuff for such a small out of the way place - and lots of art in town too. Fredericton is a well kept secret (even though I think parts of the town and how it operates - sucks!). Another Thompson favourite is "The Pool" (I think that is the title) = fall scene looking thru hardwoods at a lake - it's up on the wall as well. Well pretty soon it will be time to get out to the woods again - hopefully you find your Northern River this summer!
 jim in nb

a thought
Posted: 4/13/2009 5:34:48 AM
"I want to be happy, but I do not want to be content"

Why not content some of the time? If we were happy all the time, the joy in it, would wear out pretty quick. Certainly times when we are happy are made better by times when we are other than happy (frustrated, bored, questioning the meaning of life and wondering how they fill a Cadbury bar, depressed, hung over, miserable, getting the kids off to school, daydreaming (one of my favourites) lost in thought, etc, etc). A sense of contentment between times of happy is perfectly fine. I think and beleive that being able to acheive a state of contentment with the things as they are, can result in a natural dopamine buzz. It is a truly amazing thing. I can get there at times when I am relaxed, not in a rush or have a desire to expand myself - times when I accept what is, is. I can get the dopamine flowing quite easy listening to music that I really enjoy - and the sense of contentment in listening to the music and having the dopamine rush thru the body is something else. And all this wonderfulness coming from a sense of contentment. If this is the state meditating Budhist get to, it is real easy to understand the smile of contentment on their face. Some times I think that we can strive for too much, even intellectually, and miss the sense of contentment that comes from gaining a better understanding of something, some one, some feeling, etc.

Of course all of the above has to be put in the context that we should not be content in our understanding of things - there should always been a need to continue growing and better understanding in the intellectual sphere which does not preclude heading out to a concert and having a really good time. As for material possessions in life - contentment with having what we need and a little bit of what we want, is a real good thing.
 jim in nb
Msg: 12 (view)

a thought
Posted: 4/12/2009 4:39:27 PM
Great thread. I am sure I will be again to post on this one. Couple of thoughts right away - needs vs wants - big difference here for everyone and then again what is a want for one is a need for another, depending on the where's and why's. "Things" - most of these, whether needs or wants, are usually something that most of us perceive or are programmed to try to attain (new car, good job, house, big TV, good spelling & grammar (still after that one myself), etc). I think a person thinking at this level, the material level, has not had the time in life or the experiences in life, to think about what are the true needs and wants - the sense of self, being, our lifes as an ongoing adventure, not just a snap shot in time or place. And as a final thought, is that we are here, reading and sometimes posting to this thread, a need or want? is that part of our selves ever satisifed?
 jim in nb
Msg: 272 (view)

favourite paintings
Posted: 4/12/2009 4:04:45 PM
Well said "true north strong an free" particularly about needing (choosing) more than one. My all time favourite is also a Tom Thompson - but Northern River - I have been there so many times across Canada working in the bush - a really timeless and locationless picture that evokes so much of the swampy part of the great shield. It is up on the wall at home and in the office. Some great watercolours painters in New Brunswick too. One thing I really enjoy at the office is having a Banksy parody stuck in with all the regular art - it gets some real odd looks from people who take the time to actually look at the art.
 jim in nb

New Neil Young album!
Posted: 4/12/2009 3:41:54 PM
Saw Neil last night in Saint John - he is one muscian you need to hear live. Took my fiften year old son and he got off on him too. Played four songs from the new album - all sounded better live than on the album - but then he is so much better live than on album, tape, CD,etc. There is so much more to him and his music live. Amazing encore with Rockin in the Free World with four or five false endings!
 jim in nb
Msg: 7 (view)

Live Music in NB 2009
Posted: 4/10/2009 3:02:02 AM
I am surprised at the number of Neil Young tickets on Kijiji - and the price is falling thru the floor. I saw a pair for $100 general admission.

Of course no big surprise when ACDC confirmed for Moncton Thursday August 6th.

Maybe they wanted to get selling tickets before Eric Clapton is announced for Truro on August 8th! Looks like that weekend is going to be alot of fun!

Now I'd loved to hear that Bonnie Raitt was coming to the Blues fest this year.
 jim in nb
Msg: 5 (view)

Live Music in NB 2009
Posted: 4/4/2009 3:04:28 AM
Read a rumour yesterday that Eric Clapton may be the headliner for the Dutch Mason Blues fest in Truro this summer. Old rumour but a neat one!!
 jim in nb
Msg: 56 (view)

Old TV Shows
Posted: 3/17/2009 4:41:09 PM
I am really surprised more people are mentioning Beverley Hillbillies. That is a timeless show. Someone mentioned Sunday nights - I remember sitting down and watching Walt Disney Sunday nights in the sixties - for awhile after they would be on re-runs but you never see or hear of them anymore, anywhere. I have this thought that maybe they were a little out of sync with the changing times in the sixties let alone since. I am thinking Walt had pretty well defined places for all people in society that would not reflect well on him or the Disney Empire. Other people's thoughts?
 jim in nb
Msg: 12 (view)

Favorite/Least Favorite Live albums/songs/moments
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:46:01 PM
Lots of great music listed so far. Shame not including boots - Stones rule the boot world - I have some really great ones - also some great boots of Janis Joplin.

The Band and the Last Waltz - as a Canadian when Neil Young comes on for Helpless with Joni Mitchell singing in the background. Wow!
 jim in nb
Msg: 28 (view)

songs that have played a part in your life.
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:33:28 PM
Louis Armstong for family memories and particularly It's A Wonderful Life - can remember listening to Louis with my parents and spent a wonderful weekend down in Grand Manan with my kids listening to alot of Louis.

Memories with women in my life - Eric Clapton - Slowhand and particularly You Look Wonderful Tonight but also You Got the Silver - Stones and Love Hurts - Kieth Richards and Nora Jones.

Good times - anything by the Stones but lately Champagne and Reefer - Lots of good blues artists that you can party with too.

Show ALL Forums