Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Should I go out with a guy 16 years younger?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 28 (view)

Should I go out with a guy 16 years younger?
Posted: 8/11/2009 12:57:27 PM
I guess everyone is different. Me, there's no way I'd get involved with that great an age gap. In fact, 5-7 younger is my cut off. Besides that fact that either he is most likely looking for a romp or a sugar momma, the culture gap is just too great.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 11 (view)

creepy men/women on pof who just want to bug you
Posted: 7/29/2009 7:03:41 AM
My favourite of all time:

"Would you wear strap-on and do me up the ass while I suck on another guy's****"

Who said romance was dead?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 4 (view)

Profile makes you want to run away!!
Posted: 7/16/2009 6:58:01 PM
Even notice that the people who state "no players" and/or "no head games" are usually players and head gamers? LOL
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 45 (view)

What are your messaging ratio's?
Posted: 7/9/2009 7:34:15 PM

Are you serious???

Yup, though I'm estimating as I don't keep count. I guess the type that I'm mostly attracted to, are not attracted to me. So be it.

Ottawa Chicklet: I can't believe you wouldn't get any responses. That's crazy. You're extremely attractive AND a designer! They must be blind, stupid or both. Don't give up.

Well thank you cw35, very nice of you to say. You're quite attractive yourself. ;-)
I do get a fair amount of interest (that's not initiated by me), so it's not like I'm sitting at home knitting on a Friday night, so I've resorted to solely being pursued.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 10 (view)

Scientists have created human sperm
Posted: 7/8/2009 12:16:44 PM
It's inevitable that women will finally rule the world one day soon! *evil laugh*
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 26 (view)

What are your messaging ratio's?
Posted: 7/7/2009 12:47:48 PM
I have initiated contact about 20 times since I have been on PoF, and have gotten a grand total of zero responses. I don't initiate anymore.
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Suggestive Photos Sexy Pics on Bios
Posted: 7/5/2009 5:01:16 PM
^^^

Call me naive all you want, but I don't think it's suggestive. Jeepers, it's not like I'm spread eagle, lying on my back, LOL.

Like I said, it's all about perception, and that is something that I cannot completely control.

For instance, I bet many here have wondered why you have included a shot of you dancing with a young child. There have been countless threads on why people include animal and kids shots in their profiles, and opinions are all over the board.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 7 (view)

Suggestive Photos Sexy Pics on Bios
Posted: 7/5/2009 4:10:32 PM
I got an email the other day in which the male PoF'er stated that my leg shot lacked class compared to the rest of them, and I should take it down because it sends the wrong message. I dunno... maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but I wasn't my intention to post anything suggestive.

Perhaps suggestive can be subjective. ;-)
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 15 (view)

Meet me here but get your own directions
Posted: 6/29/2009 12:36:45 PM

I have to agree with the OP - she didnt need her hand holding but some kind of directions would have been nice. I wouldn't have met him either - imagine what the date would have been like if he couldn't even be bothered to give her directions!!

I completely agree. What has happened to proper manners? Good lord, if he couldn't even try on the first date, imagine what he'd be like down the road. No thanks!
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 30 (view)

Otter...
Posted: 6/25/2009 9:27:17 AM
Or maybe... just maybe... people enjoy trainwreck news?

Springer was the top rated talk show for a long time. It wasn't because of the show's intelligence. ;-)

Ratings mean**** and I don't need to to know numbers to justify if something is good or not. All I do is watch and tune out when I figure out that what I'm watching is complete and utter crap.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 28 (view)

ACORN can stick it up their...
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:56:26 AM
If someone could stop drooling vitriolic bias for a minute could you be so kind as to show me any documentation that any fraudlent registrations from Acorn resulted in fraudulent votes?

OP, sometimes any of us can get lost within unsubstnatiatedpartisan bias, whatever side of the aisle we favor. With all due respect Do your children anad everyone a favor and

"Think! It's very patriotic."

All of these posts, yet nothing meaningful. How does an oganization become corrupt? By it's leadership. So far, I have not seen anything that came from the top that directed anyone to make up names and commit fraud. All I have seen so far is that a few of their hired workers got lazy and made up names because it's easier than going door-to-door.

Big freaking deal.

Yet those *cough, cough* dedicated Fox News watchers are being misinformed on a daily basis. Love the barbie doll show that Glenn Beck put on for your folks. I guess he doesn't think you're intelligent enough for words, you need doll props to "understand" how corrupt ACORN is. It's sad, and completely pathetic.

Changing the subject a bit, did any of you know that the Catholic religion encourages molestation? All of those priests caught doing horrible things. Talk about a corrupt religion!
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 8 (view)

Our first Obama Gate…
Posted: 6/16/2009 2:20:44 PM

do u not get the fact that they are both corrupt as hell. the fact that people agrue one side against the other is insane, they all suck and they are all crooks.

Who (this could be plural) at the top of the ACORN food chain told the $7 hr. door-to-door employees to make up names for the registry? Who are they/is it, and what did he/she/they say?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 9 (view)

Anyone have their date freak out on them?
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:39:20 PM

You're a married man. I wouldn't have dated you to begin with. Then you turn into a bitter, angry married man and some woman still wants to see you? I wonder what her problem is.
Makes me wonder what kind of woman is desperate enough to get involved with a bitter, angry married man who freaks out on a date and still considered him "basically a nice guy". Yeah, she's "special" all right LOL

Speaking of bitter, what happened to you??? Jeepers.

OP, it is obvious by your posts here that you do listen, and are open to positive communication. Also, it seems to me like you found a nice lady who has no issues with positive communication as well. That's what it's all about, I think.

Best of luck.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 6 (view)

Our first Obama Gate…
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:04:00 AM

ACORN is just guilty of hiring corrupt people? How many is too many? How often does it have to occur for you to see corruption in the organization???

What is an organization but it’s membership??

Are you a member of the Republican party, el_gotto? Because if you truly believe what you wrote above, you MUST believe that the Republican Party is corrupt as hell.
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Our first Obama Gate…
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:02:02 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Seems to me, the one thing ACORN is guilty of is hiring bad people. But hey, seems to be a trend these days, eh?

From your article:
ACORN officials last year announced a settlement agreement to recoup the money. No criminal charges resulted.

So again, explain the voter corruption, and how ACORN from the top down orchastrated it all to make the the most corrupt, as the OP stated. **eating popcorn**
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 2 (view)

Our first Obama Gate…
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:34 AM
I don't even know where to start with this dog's breakfast!

I say our first, because we are talking a Chicago political hack that came out of ACORN. The MOST corrupt election fraud organization ever created in the USA, and Americans keep turning a blind eye.

Please show me that ACORN is--ahem, as you put it--the "most corruption election fraud organization."

I can't wait.
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Appearances & Money Matter?
Posted: 6/12/2009 10:53:50 AM
Too bad you don't live closer, OP, I'd date you in a heartbeat. So just send me a plane ticket and I'll be on my way!

All kidding aside, possessions mean very little to me, but I do want someone who is financially secure (like myself). I want to be able to take a few trips here and there and to live comfortably without financial worry. When people find happiness (as temporary as it is) with objects, then any type of relationship is doomed to fail. All the money in the world cannot guarantee fulfillment and joy.
 ottawa_chicklet

Women, what's in the air????
Posted: 6/8/2009 6:24:38 AM

now to find the yellow pages for picker repair

It's right underneath "pecker repair".
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 47 (view)

10 yrs and 50 pounds
Posted: 6/5/2009 12:34:24 PM

I know there are plenty of women who stop at the third line of my profile. My height.
I don't lie about it, because I am dead serious about meeting someone. And frankly, it hasn't kept me from getting mail from some very nice fish.
But men lie about their height for that very reason. They don't even get a shot. So while I don't advocate lying, I completely understand. Online, it seems to be the number one deal breaker. Off line, at least sometimes, you get a shot to show off other qualities.
"Average" on the body type can hide a lot. And I'm sure many guys see "average/a few extra pounds" and run for the hills.
Your height, if you're honest about it, is what is.

This is one of the better posts I have seen here. Very well said. Real life does not have that Sears catalogue mentality that seems to be predominant in online dating.
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 11 (view)

10 yrs and 50 pounds
Posted: 6/2/2009 7:31:27 AM

Ottawa chicklet....you are DA BOMB!!! Go look at my profile. Methinks yo pappy and me momma are long lost brudder and sista!

Hahahaha! R u my long lust cuz???
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 9 (view)

10 yrs and 50 pounds
Posted: 6/2/2009 7:10:29 AM
Let me assure you my teeth look so much nice in person. Really. Honestly....
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 70 (view)

Men who wear sunglasses in their profiles
Posted: 6/1/2009 10:02:22 AM
A guy sent me a photo that was not only really out of focus, but he was wearing shades in what appears to be an indoor shot. So basically, this was the photo he sent me to let me know what he looked like. I replied:

Here's a question for you.
Why the shades?
Do you usually wear them indoors?
Are you Stevie Wonder blind?
or,
Is the future so bright, you gotta wear shades?

His reply, and I paraphrase, was the he thought I needed professional help.

Okey dokey....
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 13 (view)

Question for the ladies - need perspective
Posted: 5/31/2009 7:47:16 AM

I just find that men are on a different intimacy time line than women.

Golly-gee, you just figuring this out? They wanna bang even me right off the bat!!!
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Question for the ladies - need perspective
Posted: 5/30/2009 5:23:55 AM
Manners and respect are all you need to know. Be on time, and take the effort to look nice and presentable. Treat her like she is the most important thing to you from the moment you meet, to the moment you depart.
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 122 (view)

do you look like your pictures?
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:24:59 AM
Yup, I look exactly like my pics, tee hee.
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 125 (view)

Unattractive people asking for pics
Posted: 5/26/2009 9:02:50 AM
I'm gettin' "kin you take your picture down before I vomit?" Phew, I tell ya I though you cowboyz always wanted pictures. Dang.
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 8 (view)

Copping to a lie is the new honesty??
Posted: 5/25/2009 8:33:14 AM
If I find an interest in the profile, that age or height doesnt matter all that much. I don't believe that selective lying is a good thing, but sometimes advertising themselves with puffery is to be expected. It happens to us in the business world all the time. Please watch casting that first stone.

Agreed.

But also, let me add that their perception of reality could be different from what others deem. Perception is an interesting thing. Ten people can have ten different views on a "fact." But with age or height, well, it's not open to debate.
 ottawa_chicklet
Msg: 6 (view)

Copping to a lie is the new honesty??
Posted: 5/25/2009 7:03:21 AM
There was a profile in my area of a guy who said he was a non-smoker, but had a few pictures of him with a smoke in his hand.

As for age, I've seen more than a few times where a guy will state in his profile that the age is wrong, give the correct one in the written part, and then say that it cannot be adjusted in the proper box. Typos do happen, but not as much as I've seen... especially when it comes to typing your year of birth. And all of the mistakes always favour being younger. Hmmmmmm....
 ottawa_chicklet

If your profile is 2 lines don't expect a long first message!
Posted: 5/22/2009 10:06:18 AM
I can't stand that, so I can relate. I have no time for anyone who does not take the little effort it takes to write a profile and come up with a list of interests. Love the ones that say "Just ask!," like everyone else should do the work necessary to get to know them. Gimme a break!
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 13 (view)

Can Liberals be Conservative?
Posted: 9/8/2008 9:35:04 AM
Personally, I think it's a detriment to slap on a label on oneself. Often, it seems people will go with their "label" (party lines), rather than fully taking the time to understand the issue. This is why I consider myself a centrist, because it's always best to start in the middle and hear both sides. Seems to me that's where a lot of answers are found.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 298 (view)

Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:55:17 PM

Actually, v.g.e., your profile and history reveal that you get into a snit about a lot of things. And you're also not entirely truthful about your body type. You list yourself as 'thin'. If I did a profile sort/search for 'thin' ladies (and many fellows do indeed like thin ladies) I'd be disappointed in what you look like, or appear to look like from your pics. (Not saying you look bad, but thin you ain't.) Tell us, what's your real bodyweight? Remember, you're an advocate for truthfulness in all things internet! Let us decide if you're really thin at your body weight and height.

Lordy, if you don't think she's thin, you must date rakes.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 297 (view)

Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:53:59 PM

Ottawa you don't know what your talking about. All the pics are of me just a couple of months ago, and my body shape looks different I guess compared to shorts and a shirt then wearing a short fitted dress. Don't be hatin.
So your saying I am lying about my pics or my age? Sorry to dissapoint you but they are all me, and I am 48. Why no close-ups? Just don't have any. Believe me, the men I have dated from POF have never complained. And if I put athletic, it is because I don't see me as slim or average.

I'm not hatin', I'm merely making a personal observation. I have no opinions on your age as it's difficult to tell. In fact, I have no idea of what you look like, as the only close enough photo is of your legs (which are fantastic, BTW). The last pic looks certainly different, IMO, and it's not just the body and bust. The blur of a face looks much more narrow to me. Anyway, it would raise red flags to me, but I'm sure that not too many guys get past the leg shot anyway. ;-)
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 291 (view)

Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:33:24 PM

I just turned 48 in July and I like the way I look. I look better now then I did 8 years ago, cause I am in better shape and eat healthier and it shows. I don't have a problem with 50 coming down the road either.
I think you can tell maybe within 2-5 years on people, so I am not sure what the use in lying is. I have young guys hit on me all the time, so I figure why lie.
But then, there are some people that do tell the truth about their age and really have had a hard life. Men do it too I hear.

Interesting how you're displaying your disapproval on lying, yet you seem to be doing it yourself. The person in the last pic cannot possibly be you as the body shape is so different! So what gives? And why no close-ups?

It does seem that a lot of people lie about one thing or another, but I have to wonder if some of it is unintentional. For instance, it seems a lot of guys choose "Athletic" as their body type, yet judging by their pictures, I have bigger pipes than most, LOL. Could it be that they truly think they look athletic? Yup, I believe most of them do, it's just that their perception is a little distorted. ;-)

I had a tough time choosing body type as "athletic," "average," and "a few extra pounds" all apply. If I could have, I would have selected them all, so I just settled for "average."
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Dating service that bans ugliness comes to Canada
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:10:23 PM
Beauty is everything, and is a guarantee to a successful relationship and life.

Just ask Angelie Jolie and Jennifer Aniston. It's like, who'd ever cheat on such gorgeous women?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 5 (view)

Homeless man accused of swindling 13 women
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:14:27 PM
Sorry, hooked, bright is not the word I'd use. Resourceful, conniving and deceptive would be more accurate, IMO. Committing an act that is against the law is not bright or intelligent in my book.

Your right, it is illegal and wrong, but c'mon... there's taking advantage of the elderly with things like insurance scams and such, and then there's this story where a bunch a already weathly women will believe anything and give thousands to a man they have never met just to get richer. You can sympathize all you want for these women, but "stupid is, that stupid does".

People get swindled all of the time. Yes, of course, I initially thought "what the hell were they thinking,", but:

1) We're not in the position of being in their shoes. Some people are really great swindlers ;-), and can convince even the smartest of people to do stupid things. It happens more than you think.

2) Pointing the finger at the vicitims and calling them stupid will not accomplish a damn thing.
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Posted: 6/5/2008 3:57:49 PM

What he said. How people can be so gullible is beyond me. Oh and by the way, I have some land for sale....

This world is a mixture of all kinds of people, some smarter than others. There is a reason why hair dryers come with a "do not immerse in water" warning, why I keep getting the "you've won the British Lottery" spam, and why Bush won not only one, but two terms. Heck, I've done loads of stupid things and am thankful that I was never had to spent time in the can as some of you are willing to bestow as punishment.

The way I see it, nobody deserves to be swindled. It's not only morally wrong, it's illegal. So why attack the victims?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 6/5/2008 3:41:38 PM

Personally, I think he's a pretty bright guy to pull that off. Although people looking to feed thier addictions will do almost anything. He should be punished somewhat for what he did, but those women who would send a man money who they've never met, should get charged for stupidity.

So you say the perpetrator is BRIGHT for pulling it off, yet in the same token, call the victims STUPID for falling for it? M'kay. *shakes head*
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 50 (view)

Gas Price Solutions
Posted: 5/26/2008 10:44:49 AM
I'm hoping we go back to horse and cart. Cuz then, I'd finally get the pony I've always wanted!
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 25 (view)

Global Warming's New 'Consensus'
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:27:56 PM
Good question.

The last El Nino started in the spring of 1997 and ended late 1998. BTW, 1998 is tied for the hottest year on record.

http://www.gcrio.org/CONSEQUENCES/vol5no2/article_2.html

As for typical durations, it ranges from 1/2 year to 1 1/2 years:

Global temperature anomalies during the ten strongest El Niños of the Twentieth Century are shown above. The width of the bar represents the character of the event. El Niño events have a duration varying between half a year to a year and a half. Over recent years, El Niño events have become more frequent as the global temperature anomalies associated with each El Niño continue to increase. This means that the extreme regional weather and climate anomalies associated with El Niño are being exacerbated by increasingly higher temperatures. The warmer conditions have been linked to higher concentrations of atmospheric greenhouse gases.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/1998/enso/10elnino.html
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2008 8:06:01 PM
Also, just because someone wrote it, and you(or I) read it, doesn't make it fact,and that goes for both sides. If someone really wants to believe in global warming, then they will, regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, it's called sheer laziness. No wonder people are so misinformed.

Anyway, I don't particiapte in a lot of these threads simply because I feel I have little or nothing to offer. I will not form an opinion until I feel I have educated myself enough on the subject. I dunno, maybe it's the Capricorn in me. My door is open to other ideas, facts and contrary evidence. Yes, one should not take everything at face value, but there's enough resources out there to figure a lot out. So, based-on the information that I've read so far, I do believe that global warming/climate change is real.

BTW, it's not critical to believe or not. By simply using common sense, we can all join together and make our way of life so much better. In turn, Mother Nature will thank us. See post #5... he explains it much better that myself.

**Edit to add: I did a Google search on the volcano. Took me 5 seconds. ;-)

It's a good article, so I hope you take the time to read it. BTW, it reads:

Vaughan noted, however, that the hidden volcano doesn't explain widespread thinning of Antarctic glaciers.

So yeah, it's there and is responsible for some thinning and moving of glaciers, but certainly not the majority.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/080120-antarctic-volcano.html
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2008 6:50:42 PM

Ottawa, I am not disputing there has been a slight increase in temperature recently. But historically speaking, what happened to Irelands' growing season? In our recorded history (no daily temps to go with it) Ireland once had a much longer growing season, heck Greenland was even smaller and may have had some actual green.
Cause and effect aren't as clear cut as they seem at first glance.

Heya, Tunz! I don't have any answers because I don't really know anything about this. All I can say with some degree of confidence, is that with climate change, comes some weidness. For instance, different plant life popping up in places never seen before.

global warming is a huge lie, the weather channel who are actually qualified to know these things have stated that the earth is actually cooling. I had to wear a jacket today and it's almost june ? Not that this is scientific proof but It kind of pisses me off waiting for summer.

Whoa! You've convinced me! Shoot I had to wear a coat today, too, so I guess global warming isn't true after all!

Sorry about the sarcasm, I just cannot stand another "I had to wear a coat today" anti-global warming rant. It's getting old, and it's not even close to being a valid argument.

BTW, the reason the last 2 or so years have been cooler is that we are currently going through a La Nina. The opposite to the El Nino that we experienced in 1998. Here's a link with a lot of interesting information:

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/lanina.html

I'm not a climatologist, nor do I pretend to understand the the science behind all this, but I can tell you this: A couple of months ago NASA anounced that the Earth had actually cooled by about two degrees in the last one hundred years, This past winter America saw more snow cover than at any time in the last one hundred years,China just went through it's worst winter in over fifty years, a winter so severe that about 15-20 percent of it's forest land was destroyed by the extreme cold, and irredescent clouds, normally only seen in the polar regions, have been seen as far south as the eastern US seaboard.

See my post above. We are experiencing a La Nina. Things will be "back to normal" later in the year.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070228093721.htm

And the melting Antarctic ice sheet? Turns out there is a volcano under it that's starting to heat up. While "climate change" is certainly real,and a natural phenomenon, it appears that while the polar caps are warming, the rest is cooling. It wouldn't hurt to stop burning up so much middle eastern oil,though, as long as I don't have to give up my four wheel drive pick-up.

This s the first I've heard of this. Can you provide a link, please?

Sorry to burst your bubble but the planet has been cooling for the past 10 years.

There's no bubble to burst, because you are misinformed. You've been had by the denyers who have suckered you in with false information.

Each year after 1998 has proven to be cooler than the average recorded world temperature of 1998. However, that's deceiving. What you're not considering is that 1998 has proven to be the hottest year on record. Why is that? We experienced the strongest El Nino of the century. Toss the 1998 blip or record from the early 80's, and it's perfectly visible that the trend of higher temperatures continues.

Taken from an interesting website:

1998 was an unusually hot year as it featured the strongest El Nino of the century. In fact, from Jan to May, 2007 is tied with 1998 as hottest year on record. The WMO reported in August that January and April 2007 were the hottest on record.

However, when determining trends, you don't pick one month or year out of isolation - particularly if that year features a short term weather anomaly like El Nino. By this method, based on the fact that 2005 was .17°C hotter than 2000, you could conclude that the rate of global warming doubled from 2000 to 2005.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2008 4:38:51 PM

The earth is beleived to be 4.5 - 5 billion years old.. with humans first appearing in the past 200,000 years.. with a couple of hundred years of recorded history to work with.

4 of the past 5 hottest years (on record) happened in the past 8 years of the 21st century, and that means that we are changing/affecting the 5 billion year old planet ?

If I walk into a store 1 minute before closing time, and watch the activity in the store for that one full minute, and they don't sell anything, can I then conclude that the store is in trouble or might be going out of business?

Yes, of course we were driving cars 200,000 years ago. *rolls eyes*

Why don't you go back and look at the graphs since the industrial revolution. From those, you will see a steady incline in world temperature. Especially in the 21st century. ;-)
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2008 12:16:02 PM

What better to scare the masses that tell them they live on a dying planet. Temps fall and the global cooling ball got rolling. Then the worst possible thing happened...it got warmer and thus the death of global cooling and the birth of global warming. Once again something awful happened...temps start to moderate or even cool. Panic struck until someone uttered the wisest of words...climate change!! That way no matter what kind of natural cooling and heating cycle the panic can continue. Hooray!!!

Goodness gracious... I don't even know where to start pulling that apart.

Let me start by this.

Name the 5 hottest years on record.

Here's a hint: 4 of them happened in the 21st century. So 8 years in, and 4 are the hottest on record. You can toss the last 2 because of La Nina, but things should be back to "normal" next year.

So, I ask... where is the cooling trend?
 Ottawa_Chicklet

Posted: 5/23/2008 12:11:44 PM

If we prepare for, and take precautions to mitigate the damage due to global warming, like making cars more efficient and less polluting, and it turns out to be less serious than anticipated, we will end up with more efficient cars and less pollution.

If we continue our present policies and lifestyles, do nothing to prepare and it turns out worse than anticipated- we're screwed. All of us.

Apparently, this is a difficult decision for some. Unfortunately, opinions won't mean diddly when it comes down to it.

I nominate the above as the PoF post of the year.

Amazing how far a little common sense takes ya.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 14 (view)

Gas Price Solutions
Posted: 5/22/2008 11:13:42 AM

If there is such an oil shortage, why are they having record profits?

There are record profits because we are buying so darn much of it. There's a shortage because the demand is so damn high.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 12 (view)

55 mph speed limits on SUVs- would you keep yours?
Posted: 5/22/2008 6:04:54 AM

It's going to open things back up for the small independent business person. ~ It will be slow in changing ~ but things as we now know then must and will change. ~ Walmart will be required to change some. ~ Perhaps more speciality neighborhood stores again? ~ How about a good old fashion Shoe store and really good shoes, made in America ~ or a Bait and Tackle shop? We are going to see it ~ In our lifetime. It will be interesting to watch ~

I think you're right. Gone will be international markets, while things will be produced and sold locally, I think.

I'd also like to add that suburbia will mostly die, too.
 Ottawa_Chicklet

55 mph speed limits on SUVs- would you keep yours?
Posted: 5/22/2008 5:31:13 AM

You know........I'm all for going green...recycling....the enviornment....Etc......However...I was in a severe accident..... Went off a cliff ....rolled...flipped , end to end...over and over again.......The only thing intact after that.......was ME and the driver's area.....I know I was saved by the size of my SUV.....Now , when I'm in a small car.....I'm terrified !!!
Sooo .....Yes...I WILL keep my SUV.........At Any expense......

It rolled over because it WAS an SUV. You do realize that this IS a big problem with SUV design, right?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 58 (view)

Are big SUV dying their last gasp?
Posted: 5/21/2008 6:53:00 PM
You're right.

All the info is out there to see, yet some close their eyes. Not sure why people refuse to see the writing on the wall, but what can you do?

No worries, TRIUMVIRAT. Keep doing what you're doing until you can not longer do what you're doing. Nobody will force you... you will not have a choice.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 56 (view)

Posted: 5/21/2008 5:28:40 PM

Alrighty then. So you must be all in favor of the government tracking your odometer mileage, evaluating how much of a "problem" you are, and taxing you on the conclusions that they find about you because it's the total amount of consumption that we're talking about and where all this is leading to.

Are you Miss Cleo, psychic extraordinaire? If so, quit your day job. :-)

What I'm for, first and foremost, is conservaiton. The way we have lived life here in NA is coming to a screeching halt. Oil is finite, and some say that we have already reached peak oil. We will never, ever, go back to the good old days of cheap gas. Perhaps even in another 10, 15 or 20 years, only the rich might be able to afford gas. So I do my part to conserve. I walk, bike, own a house that's central, carry my own shopping bags (yes, those plastic bags are made from oil!). While I do this, I hope that everyone else pitches in and does their part, too. That way, we can bide more time to come up with alternative fuel solutions. Many experts believe that we are 25-50 years away from a viable solution.

All that to say, Hawaii, that our governments need to beef up R&D. That's the intervention that I'd want.

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram and a 2000 Expedition, I'm not a car person. Part of the reason besides comfort in the Expedition driving back home to Wi is it's size. Being short I am able to see more than I can in a car.

Trade it in for a fuel efficient car and get a booster seat.

I know it sounds harsh, but I have zero sympathy. Because of your gas-guzzling ways, I pay more at the pumps... it's as simple as that. Take a look at how much the oil the US consumes on a daily basis compared to the rest of the world. It's STAGGERING.

Honestly, why would you care what another person drives? If they can afford the gas and they wish to drive a SUV, or any other type of vehicle then who cares. Now with that said, I do feel that the more cash prices climb, the less people will drive those kinds of vehicles, but if someone can afford it and chooses to drive them even if gas reaches 6 or 7 + dollars a gallon then that is up to them.

Yes, people have a choice. But with choice, comes consequences. If guy A decides to buy a gas-guzzling car, live in the burbs and drive it to the corner store, he uses more that guy B who has a fuel efficient car, lives in the city, and walks or bikes when he can.

Because there are a lot of guy A's, the demand for fuel rises. And with higher demand, come higher prices. So because of guy A, guy B pays more at the pump.

And who ever said I sucked at math!
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 53 (view)

Posted: 5/21/2008 2:42:28 PM

Ottwa,suv's are a problem for those who wish they could affaord them but can't ...they have nothing to do with gas prices.

Huh? I don't know what to say here. If you don't understand the concept of supply and demand, then I can see why you don't understand my point. It's simple... the more gas we use, the more we're going to pay. At the rate it's going, we will have no choice but to change our habits since oil is finite. If you want an example of that, take a look at Europe as a model. We could probably count the number of SUVs there on one hand. ;-)

Show ALL Forums