Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Are we really who we think we are?
 ICtheLite
Msg: 22 (view)

Are we really who we think we are?
Posted: 10/6/2013 6:10:47 PM
What part of our personality do we lose on our way to meeting someone. Is it doubt? Is it fear? Are we afraid to be ourselves and not wanting to disappoint we put on an act we think the other person wants to see?

I don't think you lose anything permanently. Shyness due to doubt, fear or nervousness is short lived (hopefully). Relax and be yourself, the ones that matter won't mind, and the ones that mind don't matter. Yes, easier said than done. I usually don't have problem being myself unless I meet someone I'm highly attracted to; then I get more reserved ..... GREAT, right? lol.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 25 (view)

Have you Noticed the Same Relationship Patterns Everywhere?
Posted: 10/5/2013 10:56:01 PM

This is another case of somebody not making time to be with me in any real way. When I make the time to be with them, in response to their saying they want to spend more time with me, they suddenly find reasons why they are busy.

Yes, everyone has a pattern. Times in our lives when we are busier and those when we have more free time. Times when we have a lot on our minds and times when we don't. Maybe you feel that these are "relationship" patterns because of your emotions are on high alert due to your recent breakup but IMO it's just people being people. In my own experience with friends and family, although there is always a closeness, there are times when we talk and see each other frequently and times that we don't.

Consider that your vulnerability and sensitivity right now may be a little hypersensitive. Obviously your sister's drop-in/out speed visits had been acceptable in the past, right? If so, logic says you helped create her habit and treatment of you over time. I don't mean to be harsh, but yes, just like the ex. Rather than the silent treatment, which won't accomplish anything ( 2 wrongs won't make it right), you might think about why all of a sudden her behavior bothered you to this degree and then talk to her about it.

Hope you get it worked out.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 223 (view)

You are everything I ever wanted in a woman...
Posted: 10/5/2013 10:25:25 PM
Congratulations WidowinLoveagain. Glad to hear it :)
 ICtheLite
Msg: 13 (view)

computers communicating better?
Posted: 10/2/2013 9:41:45 PM
gtomustang:
<div class="quote">computers communicating better?

Technology is great but they are not a substitute for sending face time with someone.

TALL_IQ2:
<div class="quote">friendships develop over TIME, usually weeks/months getting to know each other and sharing human experiences.

+1
 ICtheLite
Msg: 31 (view)

How to set up a date/ meeting?
Posted: 9/22/2013 11:12:07 AM

I don't want to seem to quick or desperate, but I feel like there is only so much you can talk about online and I would really like to cut to the chase.

Zero effort to get to know her before the date/meet will probably equal about the same amount of enthusiasm on her part to meet you. If you want to make a good impression, talk to her on the phone a few times before you meet and ask her out then, not in a message. Otherwise, you just look like the last yahoo that wanted a quick look before she'd even opened her mouth.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 7 (view)

Men who keep in touch over time-what is the motive?
Posted: 9/18/2013 6:32:10 PM
All you can know for sure is that they are thinking about you. Could be #1, 2, 3, or 4 or none of those at all. Sounds like that last one really has a thing for you.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 79 (view)

Red flag or honest mistake?
Posted: 9/18/2013 11:28:43 AM

Red flag or honest mistake?

Neither. To make this kind of assumption is premature. They said "affection", don't read into it unless they give you reason to. Yes, the question could be leading to sex but maybe not. With many who are divorced, the affectionate aspects of the relationship fell by the way side, or maybe their ex partner wasn't that way in the first place.

Yes, talking about sex before having it is clearly a red flag. Talking about sex while dating is a player's move, it's tacky, disrespectful and should never occur...

What ?? "Never ever" talk about sex before you have it?? What?? lol. ( funny sad, not funny haha ). In today's "don't tell if you aren't directly asked" world, smart people have some serious, adult conversation about it before hand.

Are you an affectionate person? I'm very affectionate towards my dog....and sometimes people.

Love it.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 49 (view)

Need a women's opinion about an ex
Posted: 9/17/2013 10:26:05 AM

Your friend is a creep who has no boundaries.

I see this a totally different way. People will do all kinds of things they wouldn't normally do if their gut tells them they are being lied to. I guess if the friend is just a control freak or has trust issues and would do this to any women he was involved with I would agree, it's creepy. But if this is something he did just because of this situation, he's just one more person among many who would prefer to know the truth. It's easy to say what we would or would not do if it's not happening to us ;)
 ICtheLite

gracious response to a 'no' on the second date invitation
Posted: 9/16/2013 9:31:27 PM

you say you dont like last min. dates...........ok

but suppose the guy finds himself home from work early and its a spur of the moment thing ?.........sure.if he does it all the time....i understand............but if its a short notice thing on his end too?

Personally, I would think it was sweet if someone I'd meet and liked had some unplanned free time and wanted to do something later. If your free, why not? As long as it's not the norm.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 739 (view)

bald guys
Posted: 9/16/2013 8:48:30 PM
Nothing to say really, there's a landslide in favor of sexy baldness. And the confidence that usually goes along with it is hot, hot, hot.
 ICtheLite

what would make you deviate from your 'type' ?
Posted: 9/16/2013 8:34:20 PM
I thought I had a type but I was wrong. Haha. I've deviated a lot over the last few years. It's a learning process and part of it is the more people you meet the more you learn about yourself; what you will compromise on and what you won't. We all have preferences that are not make or break attributes and hopefully the list of things that are is REALLY short, lol.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 95 (view)

Wearing Jeans on a First Date
Posted: 9/16/2013 7:50:44 PM

My belief is, if I'm not important enough for a guy to show up for our first date in something nicer than jeans, then I'm not much interested in a second date.

It doesn't matter what any of us think, you are the one picking your dates. Are you out of sync ? Probably but it's your perception that counts. The real question is: would you pass on a man that was a good match for you just because he wore jeans? If so, I see a lengthy stay here on the POF forums in your future, lol.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 44 (view)

When is it considered a first date
Posted: 9/16/2013 7:16:51 PM
No need for a label. Sometimes you just don't know until it happens. Meeting for a drink or coffee can turn into something different if things go well.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 55 (view)

What to say on the first message?
Posted: 9/16/2013 6:33:50 PM
^^^^ Exception or not, I'm still here, lol. Methods & opinions mean very little unless you've achieved the desired result :)
 ICtheLite

Posted: 9/15/2013 11:46:57 AM
Farmergiles65:

Actually his phrase was "if she doesn't like his photos or profile" - there was no mention about messages.

He was commenting on my comment; try to keep up, lol. We were both talking about messages ( msg:55).

Girls don't care about messages - they only send one just to seem like they are being nice - then suddenly they'll stop communicating without warning as they go by your photos.

You are assuming it is because of your pictures (& it could be) but there is no way to know that for sure. It could as easily be something else; boring about me section, didn't like your hobbies, distance, age, occupation, astrological sign(haha) ... who knows.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 73 (view)

How much of a difference do pictures make?
Posted: 9/15/2013 12:03:02 AM

I've been on a couple of dates so far and the men haven't looked the same as in their pictures.

In general I find that most men I've met look better in person but sometimes they are way off. I have begun to look at men's hair color to decide if the pictures are recent or not, lol. I met one guy for coffee and knew something was off, so I said "How old are you?", like I didn't remember. Obviously he didn't either b/c he said "I don't remember what I said in my profile". Hahahaha.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 47 (view)

Posted: 9/14/2013 11:22:18 PM

It's the pictures and maybe the profile that forms the first impression.

I guess this would be true if you only looked at pictures and "maybe" read the profile using that as a basis to decide whether you would reply ( positively, negatively, or not at all). I based my comment on my own habit of reading the message first, then looking at the profile.

If she doesn't like his photos and/or profile, he won't get a positive reply.

Agreed; good message + decent pictures/profile= a more positive reply.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 38 (view)

Need a women's opinion about an ex
Posted: 9/14/2013 9:58:21 AM

The current boyfriend noticed that over the last few months she has been treating him differently.

And there you have it. Your friends intuition was telling him something was wrong so he tried to find out what it was by looking at her internet history. He needs to trust his gut and have an honest conversation with his lady. I don't think it's normal at all for a women to continually check on an ex's FB page. If she didn't care, she wouldn't look. It might just be me but in 5 yrs time I've only looked at my ex's FB page once and we are not friends on FB. Curiosity is normal and human but what she's doing isn't idle curiosity.

Too much is being made of the size thing, it's really a non-issue. If you friend thinks the problem is the size of his "unit", no offense but it sounds like he's just giving himself a pass by blaming something he can't do anything about. Then again, from your posts I'm not sure if your friend thinks his size is the problem or it's the friends he's talking to about the situation.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 51 (view)

What the heck happened?
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:19:47 PM

Nice normal guys have healthy boundaries. They consider the effects of their actions on the person they are approaching. Which causes them to hesitate. Not poor self confidence but consideration.
Creeps have no boundaries...they don't give violating the feelings or personal boundaries of women a thought at all. Which is not self confidence.

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree. If I follow your logic what you are saying is a nice guy is being considerate by not approaching an attractive women. Boundaries and confidence are two separate traits, one is not necessarily inclusive or exclusive of the other. I'll have to stick with "lacks confidence" but appreciate your point of view.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 30 (view)

Second Date, No kiss..
Posted: 9/12/2013 1:57:28 PM

^^^ Yes, there are many pleasures in life other than kissing but kissing is what you were referring to. You have to "think" about a kiss and to do otherwise would be immature and reckless? You are entitled to your opinion but you may want to consider some degree of spontaneity.

Well thank you and *Cowboy* for telling me how I should consider living MY life.

I am sorry, for my part, I did not mean to offend you. As I said
you are entitled to your own opinion.
It might be a difference in culture or just personal choice. Like Cowboy, I don't think this take on kissing will help you get where you'd like to be.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 47 (view)

What the heck happened?
Posted: 9/12/2013 1:25:59 PM

WeeDeeter:Nice guys don't approach attractive girls...you should know that. I'm sure you've been out and have found yourself surrounded by douche's...while nice guys don't want you to catch them looking. No different here.

Huh?? I do not think this is true at all. For this to be true you would also have to believe that all nice guys lack confidence.

Outmind: I feel sometimes the women that judge as to that you should withhold, like is a priceless possession are the very ones that turn, sexual attraction into a commodity, to be used to acquire from the guy other goods.

Yes, by all means, they are adults and can have fun in way they choose; no judgment whatsoever. In her original post though, she sounded like she wanted more than that. Regardless of looks, we're all priceless, don't you know :)
 ICtheLite
Msg: 33 (view)

What the heck happened?
Posted: 9/11/2013 8:21:49 PM
"Next time you come, you should just stay at my place instead of your aunts". I replied, "That would be fun. Let me know when you have a free night."

You fooled around already and now he suggests you stay with him the next time you come and you say ok = Now your an easy girl that requires no chasing at all and he's no longer interested. Ok, I get it, you like him and enjoy the attention. The only way you can redeem yourself is to make him put some effort into it and don't be so over eager to see him that you sacrifice yourself worth.

Given his relationship with your aunt you will see him again, so you get a second chance. As others have said, no one wants to advocate playing games but he obviously wants to play them if he likes the chase. My 2 cents would be: 1). don't text him. 2). Don't even tell him the next time you're going to your aunts. 3). Definitely don't sleep with him. If you do, know in advance that you are sealing your own fate, FWB, never to be anything more. This is if you still have any interest in him.

Otherwise, refer to what WeeDeeter said, "Don't waste your pretty" :)
 ICtheLite
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2013 7:27:14 PM
I think the OP is gone but for all of the men that said things like "It doesn't matter what you say" ... You couldn't be farther from the truth, JMHO. The initial message forms the first impression and if it's lame you probably won't get a second chance.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 6 (view)

profile check please
Posted: 9/7/2013 11:09:28 PM
OP, I would change your settings for the age range you are looking for...unless you'd really like to date a 30 yr old. It might just be me but when a see a man state that he's interested in women 20 or 30 to (anything) it makes me think they A). aren't serious about "seeking a relationship", or B). they are crazy if they want to date a 20-30 yr old, lol. Either way, I definitely would initiate contact. Like I said though, this might just be me.

~Good Luck~
 ICtheLite
Msg: 21 (view)

Second Date, No kiss..
Posted: 9/7/2013 10:47:24 PM
^^^ Yes, there are many pleasures in life other than kissing but kissing is what you were referring to. You have to "think" about a kiss and to do otherwise would be immature and reckless? You are entitled to your opinion but you may want to consider some degree of spontaneity.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 19 (view)

Second Date, No kiss..
Posted: 9/7/2013 10:19:40 PM
I had a guy tell me that once. All it took was a little lean in and a come hither grin.

You'd better believe if it's "mouth to mouth" then we've already had the "exclusive talk".

Supersaiyangoku, your profile says your personality is "Hedonist"...reallllly? lol. Too funny.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 29 (view)

loneliness question? Single for too long is not good?
Posted: 9/7/2013 9:32:47 PM
OP:
So does anybody think there is such a thing as being single for too long?

Yes, IMO and observation some people do get used to being alone by filling their lives with other things ( more work, time consuming hobbies, even church) to the point that there is no room or time for a relationship. Over time they become content with the full life they've created and are hard put to risk that contentment.

D.Priest:
This type of social stigma is why some folks get into relationships they shouldn't be in at all. Society has told them a bad relationship is better than none at all.

Uhhh, this is 2013, lol. No one has to be with anyone if they don't want to be, JMO. Maybe if someone had extremely low self esteem they might subscribe to this theory. There's a social stigma about being without a partner/being single? Welllll, now I'm traumatically Stigmatized, lol.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 42 (view)

After two months now what?
Posted: 9/5/2013 10:18:35 AM

Before I was worried because this girl I've been seeing for two months wasn't responding to my call. Well she did finally get back to me, and we did see each other that weekend. And (without being too descriptive) we had an amazing evening.

You hadn't heard from her in two months then Bamm, a hook-up. Take it for what it was, that was your second chance. From the outside looking in, it sounds like she may have agreed to see you only to confirm she had made the right choice in not contacting you for the previous 2 months. Whatever the reason was, those feelings were reaffirmed. So now she is keeping you on the backburner with nice occasional texts... while she's still looking for Mr. Wonderful (in her eyes). For my 2 cents, I'd say if she contacts you, do not respond ... as in ever. Yes, I know, easier said than done.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 6 (view)

When profiles turn into dialogue from their correspondence
Posted: 9/5/2013 9:56:55 AM
Yes, exactly what Christ on a crutch said. Be appreciative that such an individual would help you dodge their own bullet.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 13 (view)

Why doesn't anyone respond to me?
Posted: 8/22/2013 1:15:54 PM
^^^^ The new headline is even worst, lol.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 76 (view)

Could some one please answer this
Posted: 8/22/2013 12:55:27 PM

You would be doing yourself disservice if you make assumptions about someone's intentions that you don't know, based on so little.

She's not doing a disservice to herself, she's insulting someone she hasn't even met yet by making those assumptions about his intentions.

We, nor she, knows what his intentions are; her thoughts may be based on intuition or fear. Either way, it's only an insult if she is wrong and that hasn't been established yet.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 61 (view)

Any advice? Erectile Dysfunction.
Posted: 8/21/2013 12:42:46 AM
Charlie, you know where this is heading right? You are too young for this to be a problem and it doesn't have to be. A simple surgery could make this problem go away. Not optimal, surgery is the last resort, but it's definitely fool-proof. No waiting or wondering if it will work.

OP:
How would a****ring cause damage?

Essentially, it collapses the blood vessels in the penis so that once erect, no blood can go in or out. Without oxygenation via new blood, cells and tissue die. People used to tie a tight rubber band around puppies tails to dock them; the end of the tail would die and fall off .... nuff said.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 423 (view)

can a woman get spoiled by a BIG penis???
Posted: 8/20/2013 11:58:44 PM
^^^^^ Very well put.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 52 (view)

communication trap
Posted: 8/20/2013 11:39:29 PM
" Your problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem." ~ Captain Jack Sparrow
 ICtheLite
Msg: 63 (view)

Could some one please answer this
Posted: 8/20/2013 11:03:41 PM

I'm thinking maybe he wants something else if you know what I mean.

This is irrelevant really. He can only have what you are willing to give. You would be doing yourself disservice if you make assumptions about someone's intentions that you don't know, based on so little. Tell him you want to talk on the phone first. Personally, I've never had a scary date and usually move from messaging to the phone pretty quick. I don't tell guys I'm meeting this but I write down their name, number and where I'm meeting them on a sticky note on my frig before I go ... you know, so they know where to find the body and 'who dun it', lol. The quick meet is pretty common so put on your big girl face, buckle up your confidence and have fun. Don't over think it.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 9 (view)

Testing my IQ...
Posted: 8/5/2013 10:28:53 AM

Him: My friend just got this job, outta hundreds of applicants...What was strange is the employer only wanted a question answered.

Sounds more like your date was looking for a around about way to ask what you IQ. This questions scenario might be a hint of someone's cognitive abilities but not definitive. I can see where the question would make for good conversation but the bigger question is, why would someone know their IQ and/or why would they have it tested? Chances are that unless your mental competency is in question, or you are a genius, you probably don't know your IQ. Did he know his score?
 ICtheLite
Msg: 58 (view)

Mix Signals
Posted: 6/12/2013 6:44:19 AM
I am not sure where I first heard the phrase, may have been here on the forums, but memorize this:

If a man is truly interested, he will make it happen.

In this case, sex too soon in a man's mind = booty call and will never be anything more than that. I meant that as a matter of fact, not a judgmental way.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 7 (view)

Huge overhaul on my profile recently, opinions?
Posted: 6/12/2013 5:19:39 AM
I realize you are trying to be honest right out of the gate but you have to remember that the people reading your profile don't know you. Putting all that stuff out there in your profile makes its appear that you have huge self-esteem issues, the presumption being that you would be very needy. I understand the temptation to want to try to weed out anyone that would have a big problem your situation but it's way to much, way to soon. The next time you are bored I would rewrite it and stick to your hobbies and interests, maybe what you are doing right now, as in school or job. Stay away from negatives and lists.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 34 (view)

Should this take me out of the dating pool?
Posted: 6/1/2013 10:20:10 PM
Long answer:
If I were to write an honest profile, from what you've said, here's what it might sound like in the best of lights: I am searching for a caring and understanding women who would be accepting of my children, one of whom is autistic. Due to this, my ex wife and I share the responsibilities of care and live in the same household; separate bedrooms of course. If I were to become involved with anyone, I would need the woman to be ok with spending private time at their place. [insert Charlie Brown's teachers voice here because after that wha, wha, wha is all the woman is going to hear].

You used the works "broke off the marriage", so from that I would take it that you are also not divorced (but am not sure). I don't mean that in a judgmental way, just saying of all of the hurdles you have that would keep you from dating, little lone a relationship, for many this would be the biggest obstacle.

Short answer: All things considered, yes, it is too much to expect and the understanding woman will accept the situation for what it is, will genuinely give you all the sympathy in the world and bow out gracefully.

I am seeing a man now who has an autistic grandson, he is definitely a handful (understatement). Best of luck to you.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 16 (view)

Suggestions for POF
Posted: 2/3/2013 1:42:33 PM
I would be willing to upgrade & pay for additional features similar to those on Match.com like removing profiles from view and seeing who viewed me in a "real time" order ( they go to the top of the list each time they view you ).

Today I was trying to find answers to questions in the forums "help" section that would explain specifically how features would work differently if I upgraded. My biggest suggestion would be to explain how features change with upgrading more thoroughly so anyone interested knows what they are getting. Just sayin', if you want to compete with the big boys as far as paying members there needs to be some effort put into explaining the services better.

Don't get me wrong, I like POF and think the combination of both paying and non-paying members having the ability to communicate is genius.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 23 (view)

should I list widowed?
Posted: 11/17/2012 9:36:33 AM
No matter what you put in your relationship status you will, usually sooner than later, be asked about past relationships. No way to avoid that.

Good luck to you.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 45 (view)

When they ask you how many people are you talking to?
Posted: 11/17/2012 9:22:12 AM
OP - Asked and answered many times and I just tell the truth b/c I don't think it should matter. My line of thought is that if it matters that much to them they are probably not someone I'd get along with anyway. The one that bothers me is "Are you seeing anyone?" to which my standard reply is "If I was we wouldn't be talking."

Maybe I'm a little old school but as long as someone is willingly to answer questions I have openly, I will return in like kind. Isn't the point to get to know the other person?? I guess I wouldn't blew that question out of proportional unless other questions or comments led you to believe the guy had jealousy or insecurity issues.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 8 (view)

When is it acceptable to ask about their child?
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:46:36 PM
Maybe the easiest way to handle it is to just let them bring up their children first so that it doesn't appear that you are overly interested but rather a natural extension of getting to know her. Blurting out questions about kids only to make conversation, would seem ( in an ideal world) to be just fine but mom's with young children have to be careful and their senses are on high alert. Even if your intentions are pure they can be misread.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 19 (view)

Very upset and I need advice
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:31:08 PM
If you could live with the idea of being the other women you wouldn't have asked your question here.... soooo, sooner or later it will end. If I were you, I would take the high road, let him know you won't be played and won't see him again. Ok so option A). You do this and feel good about it, although not happy it happened.... or B). You keep sleeping with him, he dumps you later & you get to feel like a a$$ hat for letting it happen.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions .... lol.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 23 (view)

Best Sex or Best Love ... which do you remember best?
Posted: 10/31/2012 3:58:48 PM
^^^^^ Too Funny

ICtheLite
Msg: 16 (view)

We're exclusive - does the POF account need to be hidden?
Posted: 6/22/2012 3:32:07 PM
OP: It sounds like you are asking us to validate what you already feel is the right thing for him to do. Is it possible that by "moving to quickly" you set yourself up for suspicion and distrust? I mean, it sounds like you didn't know him well enough to trust him before the quick movement (pun intended, lol) & questioning it now is a little to late.

Best of Luck
 ICtheLite
Msg: 32 (view)

Some good advice is needed please
Posted: 4/22/2012 10:09:59 AM
MOST women do not have an orgasm thru intercourse.

What ?? Sure there are other ways but to say most women do not/ or can not have the big "O" in that way is just inaccurate.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 31 (view)

What is the point of stating friends first in a profile????
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:51:37 AM
I didn't want to be used for my brain by women who weren't going to sleep with me.

Abelian, you're not known here for being a comedian but that was Hilarious !!!
 ICtheLite
Msg: 33 (view)

Lied on profile photo obligated to stay?
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:06:43 AM
Personally I always expect the person I'm meeting to look a bit different than their pic's. Let's face it, everyone's pictures are either posed, or the best of what they have one hand. Weight issues are another story though; it's either intentional misrepresentation or they are self-delusional. Love the guy that says he is average or athletic but from a side view has the "I'm hiding a basketball under my shirt" thing going on, lol.

Should you walk out on a meet/date? I've never done it and have never had it done to me. Weird thing is they guys that know the don't look their pic's will always ask "So what do you think? Do I look like my pictures?" to which I always say "Pretty much".... hey, I'm not going to be the one to burst their bubble, lol. Is that wrong?
 ICtheLite
Msg: 143 (view)

Why do some men act interested, then pull back?
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:32:27 AM

Why not just be honest if you aren't interested instead of just disappearing?

Unfortunately knowing why this particular guy did it wouldn't help you avoid it again in the future. There could be as many reasons as there are guys on the site.

Show ALL Forums