Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Photos
 greatguyatx
Msg: 17 (view)

Photos
Posted: 4/28/2013 10:50:34 AM

I'm curious as to why this happens?

It's not a 'trend' or 'pattern' because you noticed it.

It most likely comes down to the simple fact that bathrooms (public or private) tend to have the largest mirrors.

P.S.,
You'll also (likely) notice - overhead selfies.. duck-face selfies, and pics with ex's obviously cropped out (among a host of other quirks.)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 12 (view)

Talkin to Davey who's still in the Navy
Posted: 4/27/2013 10:15:30 AM
^^^^^

The good news is - since this thread dates back to May 2009 - probably won't be long before the OP gets out of the Navy..
 greatguyatx
Msg: 16 (view)

Such a turn of is when a man.....
Posted: 4/26/2013 9:28:21 PM
^^^
You think guys that do this, somehow/magically don't on pay sites? (Think again..)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 18 (view)

How do I get this guy off my back?
Posted: 4/26/2013 6:50:27 PM

You seriously want me to shove his gift back into his face?

Yes...although 'shoving' it isn't how I'd do it. A simple - "I can't accept this - thank you though" would suffice.

Unfriend the guy from your FB - take all of 2 seconds. Block his number - whatever you have to do.

You're young - so perhaps you don't know. You are in control of who you interact with (or don't) - you don't need to hint about things - just say what you mean, and mean what you say.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 53 (view)

He acted like he was doing me a favour by dating me.
Posted: 4/26/2013 5:18:55 PM
I think you might be unaware of the stigma facing single mothers. Even from other single mothers who believe that their reasons for being a single parent are more noble than yours. I took a lot of flack from other mothers at my childrens' school until my youngest mentioned that it was my birthday and how old I was. They assumed that I was a lot younger than I am and that I had had them when I was incredibly young.

Actually - like many people (men & women), I'm perfectly aware of what a single mom/parent faces. Like a lot of things in life though - we have to choose whether (or not) we'll live our lives around what other people's opinions are of us.

You're in your mid-30's and happen to have a child(ren) - ok, not that unusual. Maybe for the PHD/we-do-it-right, crowd - but not for most. IMO - if a guy isn't scared off immediately; he'll likely understand (or try to understand.)
YMMV of course.

~Hope you find what you're looking for.

Side Note about paying/going-Dutch:

Personally - I don't mind paying, going Dutch, or even being treated (aka, not paying.) But I would likely mind doing any of those, all the time. (Any of those - all the time - would be a strain.) There should be a balance.

There's a time/place for all, and outright removing the possibility of someone being generous (now and then) can definitely have undesirable effects on a relationship.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 3 (view)

Such a turn of is when a man.....
Posted: 4/25/2013 9:53:06 PM

Are there that many females that reciprocate to this?

Beats me... one would think 'No.'

Any idea what might have lead to this 'candid' photo session (conversation-wise?)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 29 (view)

He acted like he was doing me a favour by dating me.
Posted: 4/24/2013 7:03:59 PM
Honestly, I don't know; From afar, I sense a bit of hypersensitivity (or defensive posture) regarding the single-parent thing. On the other hand - it's possible the guy was insensitive in what he said. (Or a little of both.)

It's important to be honest - being a single parent is (or can be) a trying circumstance. (Not always, but often enough.)

Personally - my experience has been that a single mom is usually quite busy filling the roles of two parents. She has a lot on her mind. She's the one who keeps it together. She makes sacrifices, so her kid(s) can benefit - many times that comes at a cost of her personal life. And SOMETIMES there's an added financial burden (not always, of course.)

Maybe none of that applies to you - it can apply, in general, to many single parents though.

It's entirely possible that this guy (or other people) aren't so much looking down upon (taking pity on) - but rather, recognizing that it can be a tough situation to be in. Some of us, admire it. It's not an easy thing to do (not without cracking.)

But you were there - you'd know if you're being hypersensitive (I wouldn't) - so it's certainly believable that this guy was just being judgmental - insensitive, and perhaps a bit controlling. He might indeed have a dim view of single parents. I have no doubt that such people exist - you may simply have found one.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 11 (view)

Advice for a pick me up
Posted: 4/24/2013 7:00:49 AM

"Can not" or choose not to take the risk or don't trust your own judgment of people thanks to your past choices? Its exactly that. The fear is crippling me

It is said:

"When the door of happiness closes, another one opens... but often we look so long at the closed one... ...we don't see what was open for us."
 greatguyatx

Complimenting appearance
Posted: 4/22/2013 7:38:11 PM
I can almost guarantee you - if he too had a good time (felt a vibe, and all that) - he's sitting there right now wondering..."Did she like me?...etc..." (hoping for a 'sign') Just like you might be right now.

So, if you want to fire off a short message (or gasp! a quick call) - feel free. No real need for cat-n-mouse waiting game, to see who blinks first.. (the compliment is a nice thought, but I'd keep it more nonchalant.)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 10 (view)

She approaches me, answers me but asks no questions.
Posted: 4/22/2013 7:21:11 PM

suggest a course of action?

Wrap it up... get to the 'Want to meet up?' part...
 greatguyatx
Msg: 37 (view)

Bad First Date, Apology After?
Posted: 4/22/2013 1:54:15 PM
Well OP - my guess is, you're relation-ship is sailing toward sink hole.

Honestly - you are most definitely over reacting. Neither one of you seem to be great communicators. When prompted - even in his somewhat silly way - you find yourself looking for ways/reasons to not communicate.

"What do you want to know?" If ever there was a dooming question for a budding relationship; that is a prize winner. It's almost humorous that you admit your profile contains boring/mundane stuff - yet that's all you could think of to relate to this guy (and instead of doing that, you're thinking he didn't read your profile.)

Here's my advice - one of you (you/him) call the other (no sms..email..chat, until you can get past this - IF you get past this.) Don't be all defensive - don't be like "you're only doing this because I asked you to." Of course he is - we (guys) are simple creatures - we do what you ask (usually.)

If you don't want to talk - or find that you guys really don't have anything interesting to say to each other, then move on. Live and learn. =)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 7 (view)

What am I doing wrong? Seriously?
Posted: 4/22/2013 10:18:15 AM
No girls in/on Tatooine ? <--- half kidding, and half serious - don't you want them to know where you are? (besides 'somewhere' near Pennsylvania..)

No pics (or no new/better pics)? It's 2013 - can hardly take 3 steps w/out bumping into someone with a camera.

Bring your own (get one! if you don't have one), and ask someone to take your photo (not hard, and most people won't mind.) Get a friend/family-member to do it.

None of that is going to guarantee results - but might actually help. Best of luck.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 25 (view)

Bad First Date, Apology After?
Posted: 4/21/2013 9:55:55 PM
IMO - if you feel like you'd be giving the guy 'another chance' - I'd say just pass, and get back to the man-catalog (POF et al.) Instant gratification and all... yada yada ::snore::

On the other hand - if you felt a genuine connection with (and an attraction to) a guy who you like; and who may indeed have been nervous (or otherwise off his game.) By all means - go have a second date/meeting.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 17 (view)

kinky fantasy
Posted: 4/21/2013 6:19:20 PM
.....is that you Dexter?....
 greatguyatx

ridiculous human pastimes
Posted: 4/21/2013 5:33:31 PM
Bull Riding (yes, we do that here - apparently).. and/or other Rodeo-type events
I know it comes from ranchers making sport from 'breaking' horses - but you'd have to be pretty bored to want to get on a bull (imo.)

Running with Bulls (for you EU-types) =)
Don't know where this comes from (exactly) nor who thought it'd be a good idea.. lol

Alligator Wrestling
Can't be a great idea...

Nooding ; involves catching catfish w/bare hands
(I think they just made this one up our of boredom)

**I don't know why only animal-related ones came to mind.. lol
 greatguyatx

What's the deal with the mustache pics?
Posted: 4/21/2013 12:59:35 PM
I think the responsibility belongs squarely on the Got Milk people (originally at least.)

Speaking of mocking... are Ducks aware they're being mocked? (Duck Lips)

Ducks and people with mustaches...Rise Up!
 greatguyatx

Can anyone explain this to me?
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:16:27 PM
Honestly - unless you painted a different picture for your therapist, than you did here - seems like she may be giving you misguided, or questionable advice. Controlling is quite a leap (imo.)

As far as paying goes - I was raised this way; The one who invites, is usually the one who pays.

Since under 'ordinary' circumstances, the guy initiates the first (couple/few) invites - it's reasonable for him to want to pay. After that - it is (or would be) nice for a conversation to be had, regarding splitting things up a bit (started by her.) Believe me, we won't mind.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 4 (view)

Could use a little critique of my profile! Please and thank you
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:50:11 PM
^^^^^
Yeah - you might be shooting yourself in the foot with the main pic you've chosen.

Candidly - there's really only one photo (maybe 2 if counting the hokey one) that I'd even suggest keeping in your profile at all. It's about you - not necessarily your friends/family.

**Edit - ok, now maybe 3.. =)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 35 (view)

The Bible and the courtroom
Posted: 4/20/2013 6:12:59 AM
^^^^^^
The entire plot synopsis would paint a more detailed picture...

http://imdb.to/12uW6kn
 greatguyatx

Ladies, why most women have no acceptance for foot fetish?
Posted: 4/19/2013 8:05:19 PM

like when you are sleeping he tickles the bottoms of your feet gently with a goose feather or licks on your foot, how would you and think most women would feel and do about it?

Am guessing..."Creepy boyfriend who waits until I'm asleep to work out his fetish..."
 greatguyatx

Good laptop
Posted: 4/19/2013 1:02:46 PM
^^^^ +1

I checked over at Dell (my hometown company) - in their Outlet section - there's some deals to be had on 13 and even a couple of 17" Inspirions... (right below/at $400)... tough to beat. But again - kind of depends on what they're expecting to do with it

for example:
Inspiron 17 - 3721
Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i3-3227U Processor (3M Cache, 1.9 GHz)
•Windows 8
•Dell Outlet Inspiron 17 - 3721 Laptop
•500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
•4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz
•8X DVD +/- RW Drive

and for $389-409... not bad at all..

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2201&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh
 greatguyatx
Msg: 2 (view)

Good laptop
Posted: 4/19/2013 8:33:14 AM
In the under $500 category - 'Good' is relative I guess - depends on what they want to do with it (play on the web - watch videos, or do more intensive/desktop-replacement stuff.) There are a few though - Toshiba makes a Satellite C6-something that's probably about as good as it gets. Some of the Acer Apires might be an alternative as well.

Under $400 the list gets really short. Some tablets that might be an alternative too.

On the used/secondary market - might find some better values (they might be used/older, but may still have good power, etc. perhaps more than the above new models.)

**Edit
Came across this fairly recent article from PC Magazine
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385602,00.asp
 greatguyatx
Msg: 9 (view)

POF + AKAMAITECHNOLOGIES.COM = ATTACK SITE!!!
Posted: 4/18/2013 6:02:58 PM
I'm relatively sure what you're seeing is related to ad services (Google AdSense, etc.)

I don't see the problem on my end - I run hardware and software firewalls - but I think the important thing is an ad-blocking tool if it's of great concern. As far as I've known - Akamai Tech. is a legitimate security company (that does a whole host other internet/hosting-related services.)

Best of luck...
 greatguyatx
Msg: 10 (view)

The Friend zone..
Posted: 4/18/2013 1:20:01 PM
It's obvious to me what she wants. I'm not stupid,

Ya think?

I'm not really attracted to her other then friends. so I told her "you do know that the next time I see you, I'm just gonna stare at your boobs"

So - you weren't honest/up front about how you really felt/feel - instead you laughed it off, and left it open-ended (indicating you'll be ogling her boobs next time.)

You may have mentally put this girl in your 'friend zone', but it doesn't sound like you've expressed it. The whole chasing-while-in-the-friend-zone thing may not even apply.

I suspect, if you were to actually tell her "I'm really not attracted to you, and see you just as a friend" - you'd quickly see the 'chasing' end.

(I could be wrong...)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2013 11:29:05 AM

If he refuses to do it, he will be judged in a negative way on this action alone and I don't care if anyone says he won't be, he will.

So what's your point?
 greatguyatx

Is this creepy to anyone else besides me?
Posted: 4/18/2013 8:49:04 AM
If someone asked me for my phone number, then didn't call, and (am assuming here) didn't continue the other forms of communications we'd been having; I'd assume they lost interest. Is that harmless? Probably.

**As for profile viewing since then - who knows - still mulling things over... :::shrug::: (am guessing you're a paying member, and can tell exactly when someone's viewing your profile. If not, then you might be mistaken about the views.)
 greatguyatx

Girls! will you rate my photos/profile??
Posted: 4/18/2013 8:02:21 AM
Your profile - what you've put out there to describe yourself, and to attract a girl's attention - consists of 2 not that great photos and 7 sentences (I counted.)

Numerically - your profile is average, to below average. In your age-range especially, you'd need to do much better to stand out in the crowd.
 greatguyatx

New girl after she breaks up w her bf
Posted: 4/18/2013 7:53:25 AM
^^^^
Rhode Island... such rebels... lol (I didn't believe it either, but apparently it's so.. Can't drink it, but can serve it.)

At any rate - the OP is young enough that bouncing from job-to-job is very likely (same for the girl he's fond of.)
 greatguyatx

real science, not speculation.
Posted: 4/18/2013 7:40:25 AM
For that matter - why is a person's Eye Color relevant? (There's no proof/studies that Eye Color is relevant.)

It's there (presumably) because people want to know. You may not - and that's ok. But I'm guessing your question is more to discuss the credibility (or lack of) Astrology, more than how/why it's indicated in people's profiles on POF.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 4/17/2013 8:14:04 AM
First of all - besides the fact that in most US courtrooms - the verbiage is now "Swear or Affirm" to tell the truth....

Secondly - the above is in reference to the person professing to tell the truth (i.e., Not give false testimony. Exodus 20:16 - but don't quote me on the exact location.) Nothing else.

Lastly - That's where the Bible's role ends (even though many laws may in fact parallel rules/laws in the Bible or other religious texts .)

**Excellent points posted above regarding 'Thou shalt not judge..."
 greatguyatx
Msg: 13 (view)

Women especially 33-45 review my profile please
Posted: 4/17/2013 7:54:44 AM
bbzell,

Ok - I get it now. Besides getting some much better photos - smiling, outside..good lighting..facing the camera, etc

My advice would be to maybe ask someone that knows you (and who can express themselves well in writing), to help you make a profile. The language barrier seems to be a big part of what is wrong.

For example - if English is an issue, you must be from somewhere else. Where are you from? What brings you here? (This is part of what makes you - you - and may be interesting to people.)

The work you do (shown in the link you provided) is good - have someone take your smiling picture at one of your current/next job sites (for example.) Etc.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 8 (view)

Update: Free Tickets Offer
Posted: 4/17/2013 5:29:44 AM
Good to hear- the vouching was a good idea. Bummer on the no 2nd date possibility, but at least the 1st one was fun.
 greatguyatx

new photo and brand new profile what do you all think?
Posted: 4/16/2013 3:01:34 PM
I went through your 'about me; a little, since it was kind of smashed together - not many changes made (not my strong point) - I thought this might give you (and perhaps others) a better chance to dig in.. =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a honest and caring and loving person. The photos here are not fake, this is the real me.

I do love the outdoors; hiking, camping, and walking. I [love to] draw and paint, things like landscapes, birds, and animals. The beauty of East Tennessee, and the experiences that I have walking among the trails is what comes out on paper and canvas!

I love music, both listening and seeing live concerts. Some of my favorites are jazz, blues, rock, and country. Anything having to do with the arts is wonderful for me!

I like being with family and friends, sharing life and laughter. I have been told that I am attractive, sweet, intelligent, and happy over all.

I am looking for someone who is not abusive, or is here with ulterior motives. I don't look for perfection. Someone who is laid back, with a sense of humor, is understanding,, caring, and honest. I do like a good conversation, and it would be a big plus if he does as well.

If you seek a person that won't make you feel uncomfortable (from first meeting, on), is straightforward, and honest, (with a big heart and a lot of love to give), than I am your gal!
 greatguyatx
Msg: 15 (view)

What to do about chick at work
Posted: 4/16/2013 1:26:12 PM
By trouble I mean if I ask her out and she says no then the whole store will know about it, and what if she has a boyfriend already.

That's what I mean... a.w.k.w.a.r.d...

(If you do decide to flirt, or initiate personal conversations - of the dating nature - best to do that off the premises - not in the store/during work. Get/exchange a number, and proceed from there. The more offsite you keep it, the more likely it will stay there.)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 5 (view)

Women especially 33-45 review my profile please
Posted: 4/16/2013 9:00:13 AM
^^^^^
and - pictures - no one wants to date your back... (interior design? might want to straighten up the apartment then..) (Look creepy? 'lil bit..) do-over, and take more than 5 minutes next time.. YMMV

'course my opinion won't be considered... Good luck...
 greatguyatx

What to do about chick at work
Posted: 4/16/2013 7:45:15 AM

how to do it without getting in trouble??

Trouble... You mean like Fired? - Are either of you managers? What's the policy/culture there?

Trouble...as in, what could go wrong? Well, let's say you blow it (or you're reading way too much into things) - Awkward moments, comes to mind (to say the least.)

How old is this 'chick'?
 greatguyatx

Found my true love....
Posted: 4/15/2013 11:48:39 AM
Congrats... nice to hear success stories... fingers crossed for good luck in the future...
 greatguyatx

Eastern European Women & Flowers
Posted: 4/15/2013 6:06:53 AM
Not sure how non-Russian/eastern-Europe women would know; But I would think the pictures were probably taken on holidays and/or special events (birthdays, etc.) That would be traditional in those areas.
 greatguyatx

Should I continue to talk to her? She is really fun to hangout with.
Posted: 4/14/2013 6:43:12 PM
Should I keep talking to her and maybe it might go somewhere

If the only reason you can find to talk/interact with her, is so you can maybe get into her panties - then No, you shouldn't talk to her. She told you that she's not ready.

And if you were smart about it - you wouldn't want to be part of any kind of rebound 'escapade' either. Being a guy - you may be incorrectly assuming a girl's friendship as a door being left ajar.

So - think about it, and if you feel like you could be a girl's friend - have fun. If not, and you feel like the only other alternative is to leave her alone; so be it.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 28 (view)

Sneaky use of LinkedIn
Posted: 4/14/2013 11:22:31 AM

So, in other words, it was OK for you to look at all his professional information but not OK for him to look at yours.

Thinking the same thing.... +1

It's entirely possible there was no intent to be sneaky w/the LinkedIn thing - although it was kind of lame the use the 'my profile isn't ready yet' excuse.
 greatguyatx
Msg: 123 (view)

Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?
Posted: 4/14/2013 7:37:50 AM
For educational purposes only. I found it interesting, and thought others might as well.

Paranoid Personality Disorder
By Psych Central Staff

People with paranoid personality disorder are generally characterized by having a long-standing pattern of pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others. A person with paranoid personality disorder will nearly always believe that other people's motives are suspect or even malevolent.

Individuals with this disorder assume that other people will exploit, harm, or deceive them, even if no evidence exists to support this expectation. While it is fairly normal for everyone to have some degree of paranoia about certain situations in their lives (such as worry about an impending set of layoffs at work), people with paranoid personality disorder take this to an extreme -- it pervades virtually every professional and personal relationship they have.

Individuals with Paranoid Personality Disorder are generally difficult to get along with and often have problems with close relationships. Their excessive suspiciousness and hostility may be expressed in overt argumentativeness, in recurrent complaining, or by quiet, apparently hostile aloofness.

Because they are hypervigilant for potential threats, they may act in a guarded, secretive, or devious manner and appear to be "cold" and lacking in tender feelings. Although they may appear to be objective, rational, and unemotional, they more often display a labile range of affect, with hostile, stubborn, and sarcastic expressions predominating. Their combative and suspicious nature may elicit a hostile response in others, which then serves to confirm their original expectations.

Because individuals with Paranoid Personality Disorder lack trust in others, they have an excessive need to be self-sufficient and a strong sense of autonomy. They also need to have a high degree of control over those around them. They are often rigid, critical of others, and unable to collaborate, and they have great difficulty accepting criticism [...]

Source: http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx37.htm
 greatguyatx

Friend leaving this May 1st
Posted: 4/13/2013 10:12:25 PM
Words of advice:

May 1st is on the horizon - there's a saying that comes to mind; "Don't count the days - make each day count."
 greatguyatx
Msg: 20 (view)

Forum Link
Posted: 4/13/2013 9:50:47 PM

easy to access the forums from the event messages at the bottom of inbox as well .

Snap! Thanks for the tip.. (never paid attention to that.)
 greatguyatx

Worst First Date?
Posted: 4/13/2013 8:59:11 PM
Oh to have been a fly on the wall when she woke up.... the dreaded 'mystery morning wake up' scene...
 greatguyatx
Msg: 6 (view)

Guys with vasectomies.
Posted: 4/13/2013 7:45:51 PM
Perhaps another drop-box in everyone's profiles:

Preferred Method of Birth Control
*Vasectomy/Tubectomy
* The Pill
* Condom
* Who Needs It?
* None/Preferred Not Say
* Other
 greatguyatx
Msg: 15 (view)

Soo does anyone ever respond?
Posted: 4/13/2013 4:25:58 PM

I have to change my mind set about this place ... haha ill delete the profile soon

WWWD? (What would Wolowitz do?)

Can't win if you don't play the game (and its a numbers game.)
 greatguyatx

Why do..
Posted: 4/13/2013 9:29:18 AM
Users who have viewed your profile, sorted by date and time they FIRST viewed you.

For reference - this is what the notice says (not sure if/when it changed) - nonetheless, it's not when someone last viewed your profile. Unless you're a paying member, then it can be sorted differently (i.e., by when they last viewed your profile.)
 greatguyatx

How did it go wrong?!
Posted: 4/12/2013 10:11:42 PM
^^^^^^
I think Helen (and others) is spot on. Thought it might work - realized it's a bit more than she realized (you might have come to that realization yourself eventually) and told you straight up. Think about it - 2hrs by train... would one of you eventually move?

It's a bummer - but you'll always have Paris (or the name of the city you guys met in.)
 greatguyatx
Msg: 13 (view)

Ideally seeking an american
Posted: 4/12/2013 9:56:19 PM
^^^^^
Doesn't work that easily - a company would have to sponsor her (H1 visa - not easy/not-impossible) and an American can't just 'bring' someone.

She can come on a tourist visa (rather no visa, since she's from Ireland) but can't remain (which is what I would suggest.)

She can get married to an American, and then come - or get engaged to an American, and (through a petition process) apply for a non-immigrant K1 visa (aka fiancé visa) and wait for it to be approved.
 greatguyatx

Ideally seeking an american
Posted: 4/12/2013 9:44:21 PM
Outside perspective.

A good start - probably the best I can come up with - would be for you to visit the US (bring a friend or family member.) You guys are on the Euro (or Pound), so we're cheap compared to other places...

Not sure if that's something you'd feel is possible - but that's what I would suggest. Visit - see what/where you like. Must be some places you've been curious about.

And if you can't visit - research places you like/find-interesting. Dig into it - learn as much about it as you can (god bless the internet.) =)

Show ALL Forums