Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Wolf sighting
 loonytunz
Msg: 4 (view)

Wolf sighting
Posted: 5/18/2009 2:44:46 PM
Wolves are thick here and we've only ever had ONE fatality confirmed involving wolves...... and that was with captive wolves in an enclosure. Wolves MIGHT pose a risk to small children playing unattended and pets or livestock. The risk is very very minimal. One thing to check on is the rabies situation in your area, as a rabid animal will not be at all predictable.
 loonytunz
Msg: 34 (view)

3 Pit Bulls Killed by Cops...2 kids under 2 yrs old Dead
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:20:26 AM
Addendum:

A little googling will show that you've been reading BS. Rottweilers and dalmations account for almost as many attacks as pit bulls. Verify validity, THEN form an opinion and quote on a public forum.

Oddly enough the number one dog for biting incidents several years running was the Golden Retriever. Anyone that has experience with this breed will probably have trouble accepting that statement so look it up...... The problem stems from bad breeding (puppy mills, and inbreeding) and improper socialization of the individual dog.

hmmmm, whatever happened to dog owners are legally responsible for their dogs actions? That is still law here, perhaps it should be extended to literally charging the owner as if they personally did whatever there dog has done in contravention of the law?
 loonytunz
Msg: 33 (view)

3 Pit Bulls Killed by Cops...2 kids under 2 yrs old Dead
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:13:18 AM

I dont know...What would you do?

The province where I live has already placed restrictions/bans on these animals due to their volatile nature.

The province we live in has a stupid law which does NOTHING to address owners responsibility for a canines aggressiveness, and unfairly punishes both dogs and owners of any "similar looking" breed. So if some arse from the SPCA THINKS your Tosa Inu, your Staffordshire Terrier, or even your Beagle looks like an American Pitbull, you find yourself in a whole mess of trouble and headaches. Just a bunch of politicians looking for votes because they "did something about a problem", nevermind that the problem is still there.
Dogs breed quickly enough that RESPONSIBLE breeders are able to quickly cull undesirable traits such as aggression. Where the problem lies is with the type of person that wants an aggressive animal either because they have a small endowment or watch the news and assume that every bad thing every reported is likely to happen to them and live a terrified existence.

Pitbulls were bred as fighting dogs, and as such currently are prone to aggression problems, but a strict muzzle law, and careful breeding of the most gentle and docile dogs of this breed would quickly lead to dogs as stable as Staffordshires. Perhaps an association of breeders could petition the AKC and CKC, have only Pitbulls registered that are part of such a breeding program all other Pitties to be listed as Sh1tbulls.
If those foolish people that are inclined to own a "tough" or mean dog cannot get Pitbulls they will simply choose another breed that "looks mean" like Rottwiellers. Mistreat them and breed for aggression and the same problem occurs in a few years, at that rate politicians would eventually have to ban all dogs over 25Lbs............ Not promising for my Lab/Newfie cross pup or the Boerboel I hope to acquire within the next 2 years.
 loonytunz
Msg: 40 (view)

Designer Pets through engineering
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:12:39 PM

Kind of off topic, but when I worked in the inner city and did home visits, one of my clients told me that the cat got pregnant by the pet rabbit. We all wanted one of the offspring and were debating what to call it...a bat? a bitten?

^^^ This is completely impossible and would also require actual genetic engineering. The "Cabbits" of urban legend are nothing more than Manx or Manx Cross cats. Rabbits and cats do NOT have close enough genetics to possibly interbreed (If different species could so easily inter-breed West Virginia would be overrun with upright walking and talking sheep by now)
 loonytunz
Msg: 2306 (view)

gun control in the usa
Posted: 12/2/2008 3:07:27 AM

Me, I'm for punishing the wrong-doers, and leaving the responsible people alone.

Good point...... sort of.
You seem to fail to recognize or acknowledge that to identify "wrong-doers" with respect to firearm, you must often wait until someone is injured or killed. That is like closing the barndoor after the horses have already gotten out.
Seriously, if gangbangers were suddenly running people over rather than doing drive-bys, I am positive you would see a switch in focus from guns to cars, and how to limit access to this clearly irresponsible group.
 loonytunz
Msg: 288 (view)

Has feminism destroyed all men?
Posted: 12/2/2008 2:54:58 AM

It seems that the mortal enemy of feminists is not misogynists, but rather bible-thumpers.

Nope. It is anyone that has the tiny bit of intelligence required to see through their hatred and sexist stances. In example from this thread....

Still sounds like to me that any man who cant appreciate a woman living her own life on her own terms wants someone LESS than him that he can be the boss over and feel superior towards because of his own insecurity and immaturity.
So glad I dont have that or that Im supposed to "hold back" and fake it and lie it so he can think Im feminine.
I never learned to be a doormat or to think negative of myself, always cutting myself down.
I think Im much too healthy for most men.
Sad that some equate womens' healthy thinking and decision making the same as being "dissed"
Really shows the yardstick of internalized sexism there.

Note this concludes that men by virtue of gender are in someway damaged. Pure sexism at its finest. It also excludes any personal responsibility, as in that there may be an entirely different reason it seems the vast majority of men want little to do with this person. Such as having no desire to be exposed to her bitter sexist views.

jimmy: I have told you over and over again, the women you are referring to as feminists are extremists .... they do not speak for nor do they represent mainstream feminist philosophy. Why do you worry about them? I know no one who thinks the things about men and feminism you are repeating as the feminist viewpoint. Hang out with better people, maybe...

Well those extremeists are the ones lobbying governments. Whether it is to divert a disproportionate amount of funding to specifically female health issues or to bring about anti-male laws. And I do believe the quoted post prior to yours qualifies as an example of the thinly veiled misandry you say that you've not witnessed.

A "good" feminist is still a rung or two lower than just an average decent person.
 loonytunz
Msg: 30 (view)

Women That Falsely Accuse Men
Posted: 11/23/2008 2:59:31 PM

I'm not too sure why there wouldn't be safeguards applicable or fines (or worse) to women who are found to be making false claims. I understand the need to check out any claim, I suppose, but once found to be lying/extorting using a rape claim.. I don't know why punishments.. harsh ones.. are not doled out. Or are they?

This has been suggested in the past and vehemently opposed by the National Action Committee on the Status of Women on the grounds that it might prevent actual victims from pressing charges.

Can a guy not sue a woman who does this to him? I think I saw someone suggest that pages back.

It would have to be a civil suit, and personally I've never heard of it being done here. That said I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done, unless there is some statute preventing this.
 loonytunz
Msg: 2259 (view)

gun control in the usa
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:55:30 AM

I believe that society should back off from responsible gun owners. It is the irresponsible ones that concern me. I believe that many of the so-called "gun grabbers" are also concerned about irresponsibility and incomptence among the gun-owning public. Where I part ways with the gun grabbers is in their solution. I don't want to disarm anyone. I want people who own weapons to understand the dangers and take the appropriate precautions to keep themselves, their families, and their neighbors safe from preventable mishaps. I want to know that as a society we have done our part to make sure that all gun owners know how to handle their guns.

Well said Ace. Irresponsible , INCOMPETENT and CRIMINAL gun owners.....
The first you can educate the following two you can prosecute. SOME people should be disarmed however. The last two obviously and the first if they refuse or fail training or repeat actions which through their own negligence may endanger the public. Support for such measures from the "gun nut" circles would show them to be "gun enthusiasts" instead with the same concerns as the "gun grabbers". Perhaps then even the most anti-gun people in that end of the spectrum will start to accept that whether or not they personally approve there are elements in society which use guns yet pose minimal risk to society and those people should not be punished for the actions of others. There will always be some that feel any restriction at all is unfair or that any civilian guns pose a danger even if only due to theft, but those people don't matter unless they are a clear majority.
 loonytunz
Msg: 3 (view)

Apple Won't Allow Adobe Flash on iPhone
Posted: 11/18/2008 5:48:31 PM
3 things in life with regard to technology are destined to eternally suck. Anything Adobe, anything Apple once they have a decent market share, and any OS by Microsoft...
Why OP would you be surprised given the ass-backwards way the iBrick was introduced? Or the pathetic response to consumer(you know the folks that made the product viable in the first place) concerns and requests?
 loonytunz
Msg: 242 (view)

Posted: 11/18/2008 2:57:24 AM

The forums are a good place to learn what a person is all about. I do believe that men who are angry about, resent, and denigrate feminism are men who are too weak intellectually and emotionally for me.

That is about as intelligent a statement as, " I do believe that men who are angry about, resent, and denigrate Apartheid are men who are too weak intellectually and emotionally for me.
Feminism is a crutch for women too weak to stand on their own two feet and earn or take what they want, This is neither an unintelligible statement nor, based or fear. It is indignation at women that dislike men telling them they need to be more like women(Such as Dworkins claim that "we need to start raising our boys to be more like girls") and that lower expectation of performance based on gender is "equality". Or despising foolish bitter claims such as
With a disgust common to all feminists who have tried to be participants in the so-called humanism of men, only to discover through bitter experience that the culture of males does not allow honest female participation, Virginia Woolf wrote: "I detest the masculine point of view. I am bored by his heroism, virtue, and honour. I think the best these men can do is not to talk about themselves anymore." 1 Men have claimed the human point of view; they author it; they own it. Men are humanists, humans, humanism. Men are rapists, batterers, plunderers, killers; these same men are religious prophets, poets, heroes, figures of romance, adventure, accomplishment, figures ennobled by tragedy and defeat
.....you guessed it Dworkin again, we haven even touched MacKinnon or Ti Grace yet.
So it is not insecurity, just flat refusal to bow to brow-beating harridans and be subject to discrimination based on my gender.
 loonytunz
Msg: 27 (view)

Women That Falsely Accuse Men
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:17:57 AM

And what happens to that same women if the next guy she goes for does scratch, abuse and brutalize her.

Yeah. Just goes to prove that while the men they're falsely accusations are definitely being hurt, these women then open themselves up to being written off if, down the line they ARE actually assaulted.

Not as if any other reasons are required to NOT LIE about these things, but there's another reason anyway.

I can't speak about other jurisdictions but around here each new charge is accepted at face value even when the officer present knows it is a regular scam. In this province (this town actually) there was a woman KNOW TO POLICE for regularly picking up guys (usually out of towners) and having consensual sex then demanding money, "Or I'll file rape charges".... The kicker the cops HAD to file charges because this time MAYBE she was telling the truth.
Sure maybe the guy will get off in court but that does not address the damage done to his reputation, compensate legal fees from a bogus claim, or address the fact that this womans propensity for such behaviour is not even legally admissible in court as part of a defense.
It gets even stickier when you try to balance the needs of real rape victims with the needs of those falsely accused and their needs to a proper defense and punishment of the accusor for mischief at the very least if not civil damages.
 loonytunz
Msg: 2170 (view)

gun control in the usa
Posted: 11/9/2008 3:05:15 AM
Now that ^^^^ is just retarded.
Honestly can your president by himself ban even broccoli let alone guns? And who thinks those nutbars errr customers have an ear in the inner-circle of leadership?
Sounds like it goes back to my much earlier assessment of the american culture of fear(and no that doesn't mean you are all pussies, but that you react to fear more than almost any other culture I can think of, it even showed itself in your elections recently)
 loonytunz
Msg: 116 (view)

Posted: 11/9/2008 2:59:06 AM

As a man, who has always held superiority, to question the weaker gender, on matters concerning feminism, makes me wonder where the compassion level percentage sits. Any man who is afraid of a woman for any of these matters, simply cannot adjust to change (Meaning, holly cow, maybe women have gained a little respect for themselves from others now) (Something men have always had), still holding on to old values and is not willing to be proud of another gender who finally has the opportunity to walk side by side another, instead of only being aloud to follow behind with no choices, no decisions made, nothing to stand up for themselves to fall back on and less worth as a person.

No one else see the irony and condescension here? How can one be weaker yet still equal? Or are we saying "equal but different"?........and change the rules so that everyone gets equal outcome without regard to personal ability.

"I think feminism exaggerates and manipulates statistics and problems in general to make thinks appear worse than it is. "

these stats come from the US Dept. of Labor. what part of them do you think the feminists "manipulated"?

100 US Senators - 16 are women....

Oscarz you bloody well know he meant stats on violence which in domestic situations have been shown to have equal occurrence at the hands of women as at men, even in lesbian relationships where there is no man present to blame. Or that despite prostate cancer despite similar stats to breast cancer gets public funding in single digit percentages compared to breast cancer pretty much everywhere in North America with the exception possibly of New York........ and that is only due to the one time governors brush with that disease.
I see you choose to ignore child bearing/rearing as a valid point even though it is significant. So, how about the stats from any HR department at any major employer on the number of missed days by gender?(they also track by age but that is another discussion). I should mention that time off due to work related injury does the opposite and men tend to have higher occurrences, so perhaps those extra "cough cough"..."sick"days allow for better focus...or possibly more men enter into jobs which tend to be more dangerous from the outset.
 loonytunz
Msg: 2135 (view)

gun control in the usa
Posted: 11/1/2008 7:36:55 AM
So the right to keep and bear arm should not apply to guns so much as any arms required to overthrow the government. According to the theories of the founding fathers of the US atleast. So why don't these guys have access to RPG's, tanks, cruise missiles etc...? Since they are after all constitutionally protected "arms".
 loonytunz
Msg: 6 (view)

recommendations needed for photography software and scanner for massive loads of documents
Posted: 10/31/2008 5:19:18 PM
The Jasc software sounds like PaintShop Pro aka PSP which is now a Corel product and still being updated regularly and reasonably priced. You will be able to do simple cropping colour correction easily or touch up blemishes, whiten teeth or even change colours of items, add/remove items from your photos without having to take 3 college courses to know how to use it.
 loonytunz
Msg: 554 (view)

How are Men missing out, If they choose not to Date sigle moms
Posted: 10/26/2008 5:24:40 AM

Many men have priorities in their life that have to come first and cannot devote 100% of their time to dating a woman. Anyone ever been a cop girlfriend/wife? (or any serious time consuming proffesion?) How many dates got canceled because someone was robbing a liquor store, dinners went cold becasue there was repeorts of a suspicous person next town over, how many romantic nights planned fell apart because some idiot decided to drive drunk and wrap himself around a tree, how many times have we had to stop in the middle of sex because his partner is getting his ass beat and needs back-up, how many weekends trips that we couldnt go on because he has to sit in court alll day, how many times in the middle of a conversation his radio goes off and he forgets what i was saying, how many lonely friday nights because some illegal immigrants just washed ashore on a boat,,,,and SO ON!!!!!!!

His schedule was just as or more demanding as mine as a single parent. I think that that gave us a huge underlying respect for each other.
And somehow we still managed to love each other.

Sigh, and you DO know what the divorce rate is for guys that "put their job first" is right?
In comparison to the general population they tend to have a dismal track record, and these are the people you would choose to compare your situation too?
 loonytunz
Msg: 543 (view)

Posted: 10/25/2008 7:22:29 AM

Nutt you have taken me the wrong way.. Think what you like i dont really care. Ive had a sick child since she was born. So yeah i will put her needs before a mans. That doesnt mean to say i would let her be rude to a man and let her be naughty and expect him to suck it up. You have taken me the wrong way!! oh well i know what i mean!! and just for the record i dont go around saying to men my child comes first. Its just something that i know.

Well that would explain a lack of dates. And it should also be evident why in this case few men are likely to be interested, it isn't that the guys are lacking anything. Having sympathy or empathy for someone does not mean they are likely to be considered a "good date".
 loonytunz
Msg: 539 (view)

Posted: 10/24/2008 10:25:13 PM

Thearmylife... Until you have a child growing in your belly and give birth to that child... DONT EVEN GO THERE ABOUT THE CHILDREN COMING FIRST...my child comes first before any man

You might find it surprising how few people are actually able to separate wants from needs aswell.
And that being REASONABLE about where which things comes first SHOULD be a given. I think what he may have been driving at is that anyone that feels the need to state "my child comes first" is not only giving off a signal that potential dates are starting lower with this woman than with any other (making any other more attractive to start with) but, that they are either mildly retarded or assume the men are mildly retarded and must have basic common sense spelled out for them. If it is the former, we'll assume she won't be a great conversationalist and if it is the latter..... who wants to deal with that situation?
 loonytunz
Msg: 46 (view)

Why should there be more redistribution of wealth?
Posted: 10/23/2008 8:08:39 AM

By giving the rich tax breaks...it create more new jobs for us.....this has been proven...also known as the Trickle down theory....

The rich keep their money and reinvest it into their companies which creates jobs for us...

You do realize that Reaganomics failed miserably right? Unless by "creates more jobs for us" where "us" is the East Indian call centers or Mexican Truck plants you should see that you argument is based on belief unsupported by fact. Consumerism creates more wealth for a nation that wealthy people do.......that is also why you had the crash so recently the consumerism that was artificially supporting your economy on bad loans finally floundered.
 loonytunz
Msg: 100 (view)

What is the right war?
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:51:39 AM

Plus, now we have Opec saying they wanna cut production so were forced to pay more for oil? **** that.

We're better off storming in, taking over, and bringin back the days of $1 per gallon of gas.

This has to be one of the most moronic things I have witnessed in these forums. And considering some of the things posted that says alot. This is also the REASON why people seem to enjoy blowing up Americans. It isn't that they believe every American is inherently evil, it is more they are sick of some fat slob half the world away telling them their kids must go without so that their lazy ass can continue to drive the 2 blocks to get a greasy burger instead f walking, or that the same actions taken by the US are wrong if any other country does it because the US is in some way "god's chosen country". But that is your Puritan heritage at work for you.
 loonytunz
Msg: 4 (view)

I want to delete a screen name on AOL, how do I save all the mail?
Posted: 10/21/2008 10:38:53 PM
Can you just forward the mail you wish to keep to another e-mail account you have prior to deleting or abandoning the account you no longer use?
 loonytunz
Msg: 14 (view)

why do people commit suicide in general?
Posted: 10/21/2008 10:23:59 PM
On the face I would assume they fail to recognize that if life sucks right now more than it ever has .... that it can only get better from here on out.
I would suggest using a search engine though since this topic has several groups which deal specifically with this issue including the brain function and "reasoning" of people that reach that state.
 loonytunz
Msg: 88 (view)

What is the right war?
Posted: 10/21/2008 10:20:35 PM

Dawg said it. Explain to the familys of the thousands of dead and wounded it was not right. I dare anyone to tell my mom to her face i got my arm half blown off for nothing.

It wasn't "for nothing", it was "for stupidity".(More on a governmental level than a personal level)
Taking Saddam out could have been done by ohhhhhh, not supporting him and propping him up in the first place..... Giving him the gas to use on the Kurds...... or at the very least with small assassination teams. Snipers in Afghanistan have confirmed kills at over 2400 meters, yet no one could get that close to this guy without displacing 2 million civilians and still having high levels of violence?
It sucks that you were pulled in by either propaganda or a sense of duty and patriotism but, that still doesn't make the action "right".
 loonytunz
Msg: 522 (view)

Posted: 10/20/2008 9:45:15 AM

i cant belive men can b so shallow so its ok for men to use us as sex toys n get there satisfaction but its not good enuff for us to b loved..

Excuse me????
How can as an adult a person "be used as a sex toy"? You do have a choice in the matter you know.....the same as you had a choice in whether or not to have a baby with someone that was a _______(pick your nasty adjective for why it is never your fault for CHOOSING someone like that).

Sure some single mom's are great, but there are way more of you running around acting as examples why men should not date single mothers. And that makes it harder for decent ones to get a second look.

belive me mothers have hearts they got better hearts than those ppl that dont have kids

What a royal crock. I know people that CANNOT have children. By your statement those people are somehow inferior to you? Pfffft, atleast they didn't get knocked up by some jerkwad and come here to pi55 and moan about it.

No one "deserves" to be happy. Being happy is the "normal" state for humans. We have highs and lows obviously but, when having a low it is our own responsibility to make what changes need to be made to "get back to normal" i.e. happiness
 loonytunz
Msg: 55 (view)

Canada's 2008 Election... Conservative win a lock?
Posted: 10/20/2008 9:32:45 AM
Fiddler, the Aussies have mandatory voting I believe. And I'd be for it here if it only applied to persons above a minimum IQ level. We don't want every idiot out voting or we could end up led by the Greens .
Vote or be fined .
But since the election was in contravention of a law sponsored by Harper perhaps his party should foot the bill for the whole thing.
 loonytunz
Msg: 81 (view)

What is the right war?
Posted: 10/20/2008 9:25:55 AM
The "right" war would be one to prevent unjust suffering, or in self-defense. Not this makes Afghanis and Iraqis fighting to oust foreign troops more "right" than us, since we were never invited to "help" these people in the first place. Very few conflicts qualify as right or just.
 loonytunz
Msg: 25 (view)

Changing a DVD format?
Posted: 10/18/2008 6:32:12 PM
Tickettoride: I'll give credit where it is due. You know your tech. But With Recode2 I can select how many discs I wish to put the target files on, and Shrink is not capable of putting a nearly 10GB dvd onto a disc that isn't dual layer unless it A/ Compresses the file in some manner or B/ Like Nero allows you to remove extras(french/spanish audio, subtitles, extras etc).
Any good movie worth backing up of this size I consider to be worth the extra expense of a blank dual layer disc though.

If your experience with this program was not as good as mine I would think it could be more a case of burner support. I know I've only updated the firmware on the desktops old benQ once, but have never once encountered any issues at all including with MPEG-4.
We should mention for the OP than there are also several dvd players with native support for the DivX codec on the market. And although I don't personally have one those I do know with them seem to be happy enough with theirs.
 loonytunz
Msg: 243 (view)

What's up with all the hatred towards feminists?
Posted: 10/18/2008 6:16:31 PM

So that's what you guys call it when they're saying what they have to say to get laid!!!! LOL!

The joke is still on them. I speak my mind regularly and still get more than average . No need to be a milquetoast to score points with women (at least with the ones that catch my eye in the first place). I don't know if you ladies make fun of guys doing that but I can vouch for men teasing them ruthlessly..... But we do usually skip the drama and are just as likely to take the twit out for a beer after work..... and tease him some more.
 loonytunz
Msg: 240 (view)

Posted: 10/18/2008 7:13:37 AM
Speaking on mangina owners.....

To me it's really simple. It's a matter of power and ego.

Okay you have ONE thing right. But it is the modern feminists seeking power and control on the basis of gender rather than merit or anything EARNED.

The old ways, patriarchy for lack of a better term, automatically placed men at the top of the heap and women at the bottom. Men started way ahead of the game. They were invested with power and their egos were dependent on this power.

Feminism threatens that power. Now men start at the same spot as women, or nearly so, and they have to earn their power.

Since all human beings, men and women, prefer to have things handed to them this makes some men very angry. And they react as most people do when they think they're being stolen from, with fear and anger.

Go back and read the last 10 pages to see this is totally false. The back-lash is against injustice not "lost power". Feminism does not threaten power it threatens even-handed justice and and common sense, even potentially the common good.
 loonytunz
Msg: 23 (view)

Changing a DVD format?
Posted: 10/18/2008 6:10:53 AM
Oh and when burning, personally I've found setting the target disc book type to DVD-ROM helps with some player compatibility issues. With Nero you can specify which book type and then burn +R or -R discs as if they are +R, -R, or ROM. And as an added bonus Nero Recode2 seems to work a little better than Shrink, although Shrink is still a great option if cost is an issue.
I have yet to find a disc in my library I cannot back up with...... memory is failing me here FabDVD or DVDFab :-S, I'll have to set up my tower pc when the new apt is finished and look. It is free, fast and adds updates on a regular basis.
 loonytunz
Msg: 21 (view)

Changing a DVD format?
Posted: 10/17/2008 2:42:37 PM

When I put it in one of my DVD player I get an error message saying it's the wrong region?

Google your dvd players model number and "+hacks", many players are able to remove their region code using the remote control. Then you can play legit discs from almost anywhere.
 loonytunz
Msg: 231 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2008 2:54:21 AM

The only real fault of womenn (and even this doesn't truly work as a generalization) is allowing these spiteful harridans to "represent" women in general for so long when I seriously doubt they accurately represent the wishes and desires of most women or even a large percentage.

While I don't exactly disagree with that, I can't help but wonder how the average woman is supposed to control what those harridans do or say?

Beyond outwardly correcting or arguing the ridiculous things they say/do. What does it take?

Well statistically speaking women vote in droves and politicians are notoriously ill informed and out of touch with reality. So if a large number of women let their elected representatives know these idiots do not infact represent the ideals that most women would like to see come to fruition then they would quickly see government funding dry up and their lobbying efforts become in effective. It would become a case of "pay attention to reality or risk losing the next election", and that has a profound effect on policy changes.

.it is THEY who insist that women CANNOT be both “equal, and feminine.” Hence they came up with the “equal but different” theory.

This makes me crazy. Are men who are as keen on equality less masculine? If so why? Makes absolutely no sense.

I want to have the same rights and obligations a man does (and I feel that I do), not to BE just like a man or be a man. There's a difference. And I don't understand how this is not the most obvious things in the world.

I believe this is in reference to the completely nonsensical views of the 3rd wave.
i.e. I demand equality......unless it is easier or in my best interest to demand chivalry and protection. And yes they do apply it to men aswell. Any man that disagrees with them is usually labelled incorrectly a misogynist out of hand, but at the same time if that same person doing the labeling doesn't like to kill spiders herself there is no problem in telling an otherwise malleable mangina owner to "man up and kill the spider for her".
To use clichéd wisdom which still holds true, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
 loonytunz
Msg: 227 (view)

Posted: 10/16/2008 3:11:57 AM
Well done GrandmaBooBoo. I was just using that as a point re: the OP. And had assumed that most here would realize that it was the feminist movement that has encouraged such clear miscarriages of justice.
Also, not once anywhere did I suggest that this is the fault of women as was suggested. It IS the fault of feminists, spineless legislators, and misguided judges. The only real fault of womenn (and even this doesn't truly work as a generalization) is allowing these spiteful harridans to "represent" women in general for so long when I seriously doubt they accurately represent the wishes and desires of most women or even a large percentage. That apathy has allowed feminists uncontested lobbying power.

Thirdwavers pit arguments about women controlling their own
sexuality and using their sexuality to wield power over men against second-wave arguments
about the inherently exploitative nature of sexual performance.

Okay nothing wrong with sexuality.........until you make it an issue or tool of control. That really doesn't strike me as equality or even a noble goal.
 loonytunz
Msg: 224 (view)

Posted: 10/15/2008 2:52:05 AM
Feminism at work......

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11073100.aspx

A man doing the exact same thing is a deviant sexual predator, but since this is a woman she is somehow still the "victim" and the fault is laid on the 14 y/o boy. After all he has a penis so therefore must be at fault.
 loonytunz
Msg: 17 (view)

Blackberry Application
Posted: 10/13/2008 8:33:19 AM
Ugh there IS a WAP browser on the BB but there is also a regular web browser(the one labeled "Browser" rather than the "WAP Browser"). POF loads with no trouble at all, as does every other page I've tried.
 loonytunz
Msg: 15 (view)

Blackberry Application
Posted: 10/12/2008 5:45:00 AM

BB/PDA use a WEP broswer or web broswer. It can only access limited websites

Too bad. Glad I didn't get a Blackberry. I can go to any site ... no limits.

I have yet to find a page that won't load on my BB, I am assuming that someone is technically challenged if they are having trouble like this.
I'd check Crackberry.com for a development kit for blackberry apps if you want a POF mail checker. You might need to have it push. But it makes more sense to me to have this site linked to an email acct you have set up on your BB and send notifications to that e-mail has been sent to your POF acct, then just click the link in the e-mail notice.
Still pleased with my Curve and when it finally dies the new Storm is looking pretty good or maybe a Bold if I find I am hooked on physical keys.
 loonytunz
Msg: 219 (view)

Posted: 10/11/2008 3:29:43 AM

I couldn't agree more. It's ok to stand up for yourself because of race but G-d forbid you stand up for your gender and demand gender equality.

You HAVE equality already. I could list examples of how in reality you have MORE privileges than men, easier access to essentials, more programs in the social safety net, etc as a woman than a man does. If you still can't cut it then it is time to stop playing the victim card and look at why you(with emphasis and not specific to any person) failed. It is not oppression and it is not sexism.
If you need examples of sexism look no further than the rest of this post.

We're labeled as having no sense of humor yet when you say something racist you get fired. There is no difference.

Okay this is just plain BS. Almost every major employer on both sides of the border here in North America has a clearly stated harassment policy and they are not shy about following through.

The problem is, most guys are too narrow minded t see what it all really does to women and couldn't are less.

That is unadulterated sexism. Not to mention foolish to suggest that it is someone else's fault for how you react to any situation.

But other things keep us down such as, misinformation about physical and mental capabilities, media, things guys say, how little we get paid for doing the same job, etc

This one is cherry. Misinformation like this same poster indicating with zero supporting evidence that "guys are narrow minded".......way to go on showing equal mental capability btw. (Oh and since I know I will have to spell it out that is not a slam against women, it might be taken as one against A WOMAN, based on HER specific action, but hey what do you expect from a narrow minded, insensitive, neanderthal, misogynist).
Media? Do you mean the womens magazines run and written by women that often are full of narrow views of what a woman should be?
Go read the thread on the "Wage Gap Myth", here again you use misinformation to "prove" your point.
 loonytunz
Msg: 213 (view)

Posted: 10/10/2008 3:25:08 PM

Sorry, Gota - most of my post was directed at Loony's post:

Well the hockey post was not mine. But since you draw a comparison I will point out WHY it is different than a simple crime story or two.
The hockey story denotes a PUBLIC POLICY of discrimination being "okay" so long as the target is male. Where is the corresponding policy that promotes or even accepts violence against women on campus?
Also, why is violence against women special? Is not all unprovoked violence unacceptable? I think so and whether it is a man or a woman is the one being beaten is immaterial to how we should deal with the criminal. But "feminists" fight that view tooth and nail, don't they?

Besides "feminism" by its' very name is sexist and divisive. Are women or issues specific to women any more valuable or in greater need of redress than any other inequity? Is the compassion, the desire for equality, or any other tenet that "old school" feminism called for an exclusively female or feminine trait? Or are they human traits, rights and desires?
 loonytunz
Msg: 207 (view)

Posted: 10/10/2008 3:10:27 AM
Gotapulse is absolutely correct about campus safety. Might have something to do with the security personel per student. If a city had that many cops and rent-a-cops you would be pretty foolish to choose that city to commit an act of violence.
Sure it happens but not everyone is the brightest bulb in the box. Those occurrences are anomalies rather than the rule.
 loonytunz
Msg: 206 (view)

Posted: 10/10/2008 2:55:50 AM

Do you know why I pay more for my car insurance? Because I'm a male. Not because I'm a poor driver (I'm not) , not because I've proven myself to be a hazard to other drivers but simply because I'm a male.

Okay, I didn’t know that. I checked out a couple of car insurance websites and found out that they are basing that on statistics: “Statistically, men have a higher number of serious accidents; they drive faster, they have more powerful cars that have more expensive parts to replace if they are damaged or stolen, and they get pulled over by the police for driving too fast on a more frequent basis. Research has also shown that men are more easily distracted than women, with their attention being taken from the road while they are driving, so there are plenty of reasons why women's car insurance is cheaper.”

Insurance companies operate on statistics. Men may pay higher car insurance but do you know I pay more for health care because I am a woman? I do. Again, it is just statistics and not related to feminism.

This is a poor attempt at justifying discrimination with "statistics".
Let's turn it around and use those "statistics" against any group other than men to see just how unpalatable and unjust it really is.
Women statistically speaking have weaker math skills than men. Even the study which claimed young girls have similar mathematics ability as boys openly admits that is ONLY true in the mediocre students, among the high performers males were more than twice as likely to succeed. Shall we make it legal to pay women 30% less for jobs requiring math skills since statistically they will just not be as capable as a male counterpart?
Maybe we should also start arresting random native people or blacks because if you go by jail populations they seem to be statistically more likely to commit a crime?
But of course "feminists" will try to explain away discrimination when it isn't against women and scream blue bloody murder when it is or could even be remotely perceived to be.
It is foolish and illegal to persecute someone based on gender, yet feminisms diverting of government funds to "women's issues" at a rate greater than the number of women in the country would warrant amounts to persecution. For every dollar above the half of healthcare money spent on breast cancer a dollar must be found somewhere...... and where do you think it comes from? It comes from, "Sorry sir but you have prostate cancer and we don't really have much in the way of funding to get any better treatments so your chances don't look very good". Oh and of course call it a universal health issues plenty so that it sounds like it is in the interest of everyone.
 loonytunz
Msg: 48 (view)

Posted: 10/8/2008 5:44:38 PM

That's as may be for the provincial parties...but I have to repeat there is no direct correlation to the federal branch. I am well aware of the problems of provincial NDP governments and their histories.

I get that you don't think the comparison has much merit, but Federal NDP candidates are still career politicians right? And federal or provincial both are known for being far more socially conscious. That comes at an expense, an expense that right now would be unwise.

The cheering section for the Federal Tories keep repeating this mantra (not lumping you in with them)...

Well thanks for that, even if this may be the first election I'll ever vote Tory. But that is based solely on the candidates performance in getting positive changes in the area I live.

Honestly party politic sicken me, as do votes where the "representative" is not allowed to vote as his or her constituents would have them vote but in line with party doctorine. Any party willing to make that illegal would likely get my vote no matter the rest of their policies.
 loonytunz
Msg: 171 (view)

Posted: 10/8/2008 5:26:17 PM

How does those statements say that I am painting men as the enemy? I'm pointing out that you folks set the rules and we are playing by the game. If we viewed men as the "enemy," why are we playing by your rules? I have already said that some women do take advantage of the system, just like some men - it isn't a gender thing it is a HUMAN CONDITION thing. Some people have less ethics than others and they abuse the freedoms that are supposed to be for all people.

What "crutches" are you speaking of? I didn't mention any.

In directing back with "we're only playing by your rules". When infact feminists do not play by ANY rules. They will ally themselves with actual misogynists to further their goals. If feminists wanted to play by the rules female fire-fighter candidates would be required to haul the same 200LB dummy up the same set of stairs as the guys in a timed firemans' carry test.

Lurtle, Neaptide if I sounded harsh it was only because of strong disagreement and the assumption that neither of you are some delicate wilting flower. And it looks like that guess was correct and nobody is too ticked about it. And that would be equality, to be equal there has to be acceptance of both the good and bad.

There are tons of other vile feminist authors to read Neaptide, and they will turn your stomache. Like it or not feminist organisations have been shaped by these authors and their hatred. But did you read that Dworkin "claims" to have been raped? Now read her own DEFINITION of rape..... See a problem? She could well have engaged in consensual sex then later decided her lesbian lover might not be very understanding of the cheating aspect so charged the guy with rape. And today thanks you her view and feminists lobbying for laws to allow this it is today a very real possibility for any guy out there.

Someone will correct me if my memory is faulty but I also believe Dworkin was the same one claiming "we need to start raising our little boys to be more like girls". Modern feminists aren't stupid they hide their intent a bit better than predecessors but not by much. If you refer to the "closed" thread you will find tons of examples of faulty feminist doctorine.

I agree that Grandma and many others of us have worked very hard in order to achieve equal treatment in the work force that men have taken for granted for so long however, I do take offense when someone blatantly calls me a "feminist" (and a creepy cat lady)

Umm, yet you discount that the men in those jobs also worked hard at them, or took it for granted? Also I did not use "creepy" at all, and you had left out the "animal rescue" aspect. Admit it, anyone with 81 pet cats is a bit of an oddball by almost everyones standards, temporary shelter or rehabilitation could be a different matter though.
Seriously I have picked up tone of posting that elevated women while deriding men or their accomplishments.
I've been told that I'm an "over achiever" coupled with the term " feminist" simply because I've made some hard, smart choices in my life and have had to step on a few male toes in order to do so, but of course I was always accused of "sleeping my way" to the top.

So you didn't find as GrandmaBooBoo did that MORE women were exhibiting this crass behaviour? From what I've seen in the workplace and elsewhere women tend to be by far much more catty, actually most guys acting like that will be rode hard by all the other guys for such behaviour.
 loonytunz
Msg: 41 (view)

Should we be opening up more farms?
Posted: 10/8/2008 3:40:03 AM

Uh...I'm not sure where you learnt your economics from but you've got it pretty much backwards.
Saturating the market and then trying to produce more for ever-diminishing returns is exactly how farmers go out of business. Supply and demand works pretty much the opposite way as you appear to think.

Clearly you have not been to many farms. Often there is food that is already available, the farmers resources have gone into producing it, and because of the quota system he cannot sell it.
How does it benefit a farmer or a consumer for a farmer to produce 2 tons of corn and sell 1 ton for $60 while letting the second rot? Selling BOTH for $4o each benefits everyone and additional costs of getting the extra to market are covered.
 loonytunz
Msg: 46 (view)

Posted: 10/8/2008 3:32:25 AM

I see this gripe time and time again...but I have yet to see any person who has actually read the platform of the party make a serious rebuttal to any of their policies. Just more of the same red-baiting noise...

Fiddler, I have to point out that often as not NDP does what the other parties they complain about do. That is make a nice "platform", wrap it in a bow and sell it to the public. But past performance in provincial offices have shown them to be cut from the same cloth as any other politician and not to be trusted. The Ontario NDP got in on a combined student and union vote and guess who the 1st two groups were that they put the wood to? The only difference being that after an NPD government you are left so broke you have to cut almost everything or give up what most Canadians consider essential services.
 loonytunz
Msg: 158 (view)

Posted: 10/8/2008 3:22:18 AM

Men looking for equal treatment in the courts = "abuse"
Only an absolute idiot would call a man abusive for seeking equal treatment in court.

You just called feminists idiots

Consensual sex between a man and woman = "rape"
Just a little bit of a stretch there...I would believe that the incidents of women having consensual sex then crying rape are extremely rare.

A stretch? I provided fricken quote of feminists stating exactly that!
And frankly I don't give a damn how "rare" you "think" it is, it happens (especially when the boyfriend/husband or someone else may find out as a face saving measure). And it is your protected right to behave illegally in this instance, the burden of proof automatically falls on the accused unlike any other criminal charge in this country.

Heated discussion between a man and woman = "domestic violence"
Oh my. Another stretch.

Really? I'll have to ask why I have been labeled a misogynist for telling a female posted that threatened to shoot someone that disagreed with her that she was as dumb as the day is long? Better yet tell me why that female poster was NOT banned? Any guy threatening a woman in that manner in an open forum would not only be banned, the cops would be knocking on his door shortly afterwards. Yay, go feminism(sarcasm).
 loonytunz
Msg: 157 (view)

Posted: 10/8/2008 3:03:20 AM

--If I can take care of myself financially without a man's help, then I'm a feminist.

Nope that is not a feminist, everyone should be able to look after themselves once they leave the nest.

--If I can take care of my 81 cats without a man's help, then I'm a feminist.

Nope that isn't a feminist either. A crazy old "cat-lady" yes but not a feminist.

--If I have an opinion which is not agreeable to a man's opinion, then I'm a feminist.

Again not a feminist. But have you ever considered that it is in the realm of possibility that you aren't right 100% of the time? Or that it isn't helping you discounting a persons opinion just because of that persons gender? You are NOT the old style feminist, although that man hating attitude does fit with modern feminism

--If I don't succumb to wearing 6 inch high heels to bed every night for a man's benefit, knowing I have to work 40 hours per week because he doesn't friggin' make enough money for me to stay home and "take the time to dress like that", then I'm a feminist.

What on earth is your point here? You work but not overly much, so big deal should there be hero cookie in it for you because you are a woman? And why should any man make "enough so you can sit on your arse at home"?

God, if that's the case then I'm glad to be a feminist. At least I'm happy not having to wear heels each day, dye my hair, get rid of my 81 cats because he's "allergic" to them not to mention my two iguanas, my 4 poisonous snakes, one baby alligator, three gerbils and two baby bull sharks that I have to keep alive by having to check salinity measurements as well as cool/warm temps in their aquarium every 4 hours.

Uhhhh you do know that bull sharks will go from full strength sea water to pure fresh water right? I know this will likely be discounted because I am a man, but really if you know that little about your pet sharks you should not be keeping them. Try to construe my contempt for those keeping animals without the knowledge to properly see to their needs with misogyny if you wish despite the fact the same statement holds true for a man, but just take the things back to be released.

It is men who started this whole ball of wax and now that we women want to play too, we are getting flack for how we play the game. We are either too agressive, too disorganized, too manipulating, too stupid - I mean, come on, pick an a descriptor and stick to it - we can't be all those things, right?

You paint "men" as an enemy and claim to speak for "women" rather than having the parts to simply speak for yourself, and still you wonder why few have anything but contempt for feminism? If you are that strong and liberated then you should not need to use such crutches.

I also think it is ironic that the same gender who kept women oppressed are now crying foul... who do you think we learned this behavior from? Should we be able to rise above it, yes - but it takes all of us working TOGETHER to unlearn these "grab it and growl" behaviors that are so ingrained in our society.

The men who started feminism and the whole equal rights movement in the first place "kept women oppressed"? Pretty sure you can't have it both ways and what you are saying here is rhetoric that you haven't really thought through. The only way someone with a modicum of intelligence (and I have seen this poster use intelligence and common sense in other threads) could fall for this is to blindly accept venomous feminist propaganda as the truth with absolutely no research and critical thinking on the matter.

Thank you ladies, keep it up. You are answering the OP's question for me almost here.
 loonytunz
Msg: 38 (view)

Posted: 10/7/2008 3:45:08 AM
I've been suggesting the NDP "get a haircut and get a real job" ever since the clowns got into power provincially in Ontario. After that I looked at any other provinces they were elected in......One thing was a common thread they are completely unable to balance a budget, services suffer and government debt goes up so we can fund silly things like vacations for welfare recipients....vacations from what I would have to ask (this was a real proposal by the NDP in Ontario when we foolishly handed them an election).
That party has a pretty decent social conscience but not a whit of financial sense anywhere. The best provincial governments seem to be minority governments where the government is just a hair shy of being a majority and either Liberal with a Conservative opposition or Conservative with an NDP opposition. But that is just my personal opinion.
 loonytunz
Msg: 124 (view)

Posted: 10/5/2008 12:59:34 PM

I am a feminist. And, proud of it.

So, why am I proud? Well, I'm especially thankful that our society has evolved to a point where someone like me who is single and in her 40s can support herself financially.

Well I'd have to point out that that was entirely possible in 1960. My Grandmother did it when her 2nd husband died.
So I would have to ask you.......In the 50 years following that accomplishment what of value has feminism accomplished?
I mean of course other than vilifying men or scaring politicians silly to the point that we here in Canada have NOT A SINGLE law relevant to abortion on the books. Until recently I had assumed we did have a time limit because there is no arguing abortion kills something, the only bone of contention being when that something counts as a human and therefore murder rather than birth control. I doubt most people that support abortion for the vain reasons alluded to earlier in the thread......except feminists. They scream blue bloody murder at the mere suggestion that there should be some reasonable restrictions in place, all the while pretending there are not occurrences of abortions due to bikini season being just around the corner, men that actually want the child not being given the option to adopt their own offspring, etc. Or that you as a woman thanks to feminism in Canada could legally abort an 8.5 month fetus without criminal charges and zero threat to your health.....if you can find a facility willing to do so that is(most have THEIR OWN cut-off date for when abortion is acceptable).
You can call yourself a feminist if you want but unless you support destroying traditional families entirely, all of the previously mentioned examples of the evil inherent in feminism, and de-humanizing men, then you are not a feminist by the tenets of modern feminism.
The really sad thing is they don't even hide their goals yet people still insist on being led by the nose through their propaganda.
 loonytunz
Msg: 31 (view)

Posted: 10/5/2008 10:49:15 AM

I too take natural remedies and in many cases have found them superior to antibiotics; therefore, Bill 51 the legislation to change the Food and Drug Act to include natural remedies, thus making them more expensive scares me.

I saw a pamphlet that said they did this in Germany and the prices of natural vitamins etc. went up. In Canada you can pay $5 - $10.00 for Vitamin C but in Germany they can pay up to $50.00 because it's now under big Pharma.

One particular brand of natural remedies has been killing people here with ephedera and damaging people with their kava. No oversight IS bad. You want Vitamin C buy a bag of oranges(or any other high Vit. C food) and save $45.
Not everything Harper espouses is bad despite his personality. I don't much like him, but given the other candidates I don't see anyone worthy of being a useful alternative. But then I am starting to think Rick Mercer could not only win an election he'd also likely do more to unite Canada than any leader of any current party. Sad when a comedian is capable of inspiring more common sense and patriotism(not the blind or rabid variety) than those who ask us to allow them to steer our country. The Tories will get another minority government, the only fight is to see who will lead the official opposition.
 loonytunz
Msg: 20 (view)

Are all vacuums equal ?
Posted: 10/5/2008 10:31:02 AM
Here are a couple decent resources.

http://www.ifg-inc.com/ConsumerHome.html

http://www.consumersearch.com/

http://www.online.consumerreports.org/test/SEM/version1.htm?EXTKEY=SC72CR0&CMP=KNC-CROCANBRANDG&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=consumer_report

They also sell a magazine style report.

Show ALL Forums