Msg: 7 (view)

Maroni's Sauce and Meatballs
Posted: 11/18/2009 5:57:51 PM
Love it, Curly

Good to see ya!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 9 (view)

Oyster season is coming.. How do you like them?
Posted: 10/7/2009 4:20:59 PM
Lordy, I love fresh oysters with pico and avocado, but these Devil Dawg Oysters sound good beyond belief!!!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 11 (view)

Best Sandwich Recipe, Hot or Cold.
Posted: 8/5/2009 6:56:22 PM
Good idea, Sanderick! I love water chestnuts in tuna/chicken salads. Good crunch. If you're feeling like something different some time, try the tuna salad with all your ingredients but use cream cheese to bind it. Some grn onions add kick too. It's awfully tasty.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the salmon, Raz? It's soooo versatile and healthy.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 2 (view)

AMAZING 6 Cheese Tortellini with prosciutto, mushrooms & bacon.
Posted: 7/30/2009 2:24:55 PM
Clearly, an awesome dish. I'd use drinking wine, too, but wow, this looks like the best artery clogger I've seen in a while. It's very rich though and I imagine you'd only need a SMALL serving to really enjoy it!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 35 (view)

Dipping sauces for steak. Anyone have a good one?
Posted: 7/30/2009 1:58:15 PM
.Marc, I have always found that bernaise and beef go very, very well together! Sometimes, just a teaspoon of Dijon blended in adds a nice bite to cut the creaminess of the bernaise.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 4 (view)

I live Alone how do Cook a Fresh Pizza?PLease NOW!
Posted: 7/23/2009 1:59:37 PM
I think that sounds about right. I was gonna say 30 min at 375-400. Check it now and then and be sure to trust your nose. Once you can smell it keep an eye on it.

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 5 (view)

Sushi Making
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:23:29 PM
It's great fun and very satisfying to make at home. I use a lucite frame and "press" to make 'em.

WW
 WaikikiWahine

I need a KILLER Chicken Salad anybody have one?
Posted: 7/16/2009 12:34:32 PM
Wow, Alexei! I've seen a million of 'em but that's a fresh approach (to me anyway).

Love it!

WW

P.S. And no, there will be no Miracle crap in it when I make it.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 14 (view)

The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...
Posted: 7/15/2009 7:34:50 PM
Eeek! CC! I thought you were talking to me there, for a sec....

If I could cook one iota as well as you do, Lapilot, you could call me Al, for cryin' out loud.

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 29 (view)

wedding reception
Posted: 7/15/2009 6:35:08 PM
What a great idea to have a mashed potato bar! Just think of all the goodies you could choose from?

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 23 (view)

wedding reception
Posted: 7/13/2009 6:56:48 PM
Goodness gracious, CC...I knew you were a marvelous cook but had no idea how much so. Really great recipes.

Thanks for the brainfood...

WW

P.S. Wedding cakes ? Shiver me timbers, that's scary!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 8 (view)

Scallion Buffalo burgers with Lemon Cilantro Mayo!
Posted: 7/13/2009 6:36:30 PM
Hey now...that's okay.

You still arrived at a great recipe, right?
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 94 (view)

What's your favorite secret ingredient?
Posted: 7/9/2009 2:46:14 PM
Well, I have to agree that a touch of mustard, like Dijon in Bernaise is fantastic.

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 6 (view)

Thai beef salad.
Posted: 7/8/2009 2:11:04 PM
I always add bean sprouts and rice noodles to my beef/seafood salads. Works really well with green onions and Japanese cucumbers. Sooo refreshing for summer, too!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 97 (view)

fess up to your favorate wierd sammy
Posted: 5/28/2009 3:15:29 PM
I think fruit and cheese usually pair very well. No reason not to dig the cheese and jam idea.

Esp. like the brie and pear sammitch!
 WaikikiWahine

Left over Boiled Eggs...Breakfast egg spread?
Posted: 4/10/2009 1:52:20 PM
What about Scotch Eggs?
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 18 (view)

Easter Foods 2009
Posted: 4/10/2009 1:44:34 PM
WOW, SAguy!!! Now, THAT is a BBQ!!
 WaikikiWahine

Shrimp Scampi???
Posted: 4/9/2009 7:45:41 PM
You and I work it the same way, Carolann...important not to overcook the shrimp.

Only difference, is I marinate them in olive oil, sherry or wine and garlic/parsley for a couple hours before cooking. Pour some of the marinade in a hot skillet, cook the shrimp briefly for a couple minutes on each side and remove. Then add the butter and the rest of the marinade and cook till bubbly. Add the shrimp back in to bathe in the glory for another couple minutes. Depending on my mood, I might add capers.

I like this over pasta. Even though some HATE cheese and seafood, sometimes, I mix the sauce with the pasta, top with scampi and add shredded Parmesan and pop under the broiler for a couple minutes at the end.

Heaven on a plate!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 17 (view)

You favorite hot sauce/condiment/dressing?
Posted: 3/11/2009 5:54:52 PM
Well, probably Best Foods/Hellman's Mayo is my go-to condiment, but aside from that, I'm also in the Sriracha club!

Also have Mae Ploy sweet chili/garlic sauce, all kindsa mustards (including honey mustard and Grey Poupon), creamy horseradish, Litehouse Bleu Cheese and Thousand Island, Sugoi's Garlic Sauce, Heinz Ketchup.

Come to think of it, I need to get some liquid smoke. I'm all out!
 WaikikiWahine

Flounder Salmon Roulade
Posted: 4/7/2008 3:58:04 PM
Wow, Smiling, love your roulade recipe! Don't think I'd use half and half to poach it, though. Save the calories and do something like maybe 1/2 clam juice or seafood stock and half sherry. Might swap goat cheese for boursin...

Super interesting idea, though. You've opened the hatch to lots of ideas! I love it!

WaikikiWahine
Msg: 49 (view)

What normal foods have you never eaten?
Posted: 4/1/2008 6:39:36 PM
Well, well, Suzy!!!!

Where ya been, gal?
 WaikikiWahine

Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?
Posted: 2/13/2008 1:03:17 PM
My autistic nephew loves Kraft mac & cheese. Mom makes the mac & cheese and adds sour cream and chopped chicken hot dogs to it. May sound odd, but it's really good with the sour cream!

WW
 WaikikiWahine

The all purpose condiment.
Posted: 2/13/2008 12:58:42 PM
Hoisin's great but Sriracha RULES!!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 3 (view)

Ceviche, healthy, delicious and easy to prepare too!
Posted: 2/11/2008 7:10:45 PM
That's the recipe I use. Simple, delicious and nutritious! Just basics, onion, garlic, peppers (NOT habanero!) citrus, S & P and fish. Yum..
 WaikikiWahine

Overnite Breakfast?
Posted: 12/13/2007 2:30:29 PM
The recipes using eggs, bread, meat, etc., in casserole form are known as "stratas". Google that name and you will have oodles!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 12 (view)

BLT Pizza
Posted: 11/30/2007 6:03:09 PM
Hi GS,

I'm a long time lover of BLT Pizza, thanks to California Pizza Kitchen. They bake the crust with tomato, bacon and cheese and toss the lettuce in mayo. If they don't put mayo on the crust, they certainly should. Then, it's plopped on the pizza. Soo incredibly good. I love the hot and cold contrast along with the chewy/rich and crunchy.

I must say, I would have no problem with an alfredo sauce - even though I'm a mayo lover!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 15 (view)

What side dishes do you serve at Thanksgiving Dinner that have become a family tradition
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:59:17 PM
I think it's a GREAT idea to do tater salad and/or deviled eggs for T-day. Personally, even though most people dig it the most, no sweet potatoes or yams for me. No squash or green bean casserole and especially, no lima beans or brussels sprouts.

We tend to take care of the veggies via a relish tray of all mixed stuff. Sour cream cucumbers, marinated mushrooms and asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, olives, stuffed celery (with herbed cream cheese), baby carrots and bread and butter pickles. Naturally, cranberries!

We also do a take on creamed onions but they're "Cheesed Onions". How bad could that possibly be?

I like the simplest stuffing you can imagine. Just bread, butter, celery, onion and S & P. Moistened with the stock made from the turkey neck and innards. People always think it's complicated, but it's SOOO not!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 131 (view)

Appetizer Competition Party - looking for recipe suggestions
Posted: 11/1/2007 2:54:38 PM
Hiya Plays!

I love your recipes...you can cook for me any old time!

WW
 WaikikiWahine

Local regional dishes that others might not be aware of ?
Posted: 10/25/2007 3:09:22 PM
Oh, fries and mayo or really good tartar sauce. Heaven, I tell ya. A little malt vinegar before dipping. Never had poutine but I would certainly be willing to try it! Fries, cheese and gravy? What kinda gravy I wonder? Real gravy from chicken or meat drippings would be dandy fine, I think.

I guess for us here in Hawaii, the regional dish would be pork cooked underground in an imu, known as Kalua Pig. I actually had it cooked on a rotisserie in someone's yard once. The skin was unbelievably crispy and tasty. Soooo bad for you, which is exactly why it's so good!
 WaikikiWahine

MINTED LAMB BURGERS
Posted: 9/24/2007 8:13:24 PM
Dang, I just love, love, love lamb. Mint is a fave of mine, too. Esp. in Vietnamese Beef Salad. Heaven.

Old coworker made the BEST lamb kebabs with ground baaaahhh: mint, oregano, rosemary, onion, lots of garlic and yogurt, I think. On the grill, they were a force to be reckoned with! Slapped into a hot pita with lots of tzatziki...miss that.

WW

P.S. Matter of fact, I have some lamb riblets marinating in prep for din-din tonight. Olive oil, rosemary, sherry and garlic.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 74 (view)

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?
Posted: 9/24/2007 7:51:46 PM
Love this thread! Yesterday, (Sun) it was an egg in a frame. Wholewheat bread. Also turkey bacon.

Fried up the little circle of bread along with the main event and had it with Guava jam. Yum!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 2 (view)

Southwestern Chicken Quesadillas (RECIPE)
Posted: 9/24/2007 7:46:32 PM
Interesting, Crystal! Always looking for yummier ways to eat healthy. With the corn and black beans, you've got a nutritional winner, here!

Note to self: Try the Southwest Ranch Dip! I know i like the Spinach Dip.

WW
 WaikikiWahine

alright..Since there's no recipes for Kilbasa and Cabage..
Posted: 9/24/2007 3:31:11 PM
I'm with you, Kobie, onion = YES! Great mustard is a 'must'.

Good idea, Rae! How WOULD you cook it?

WW

P.S. Cabbage is good fiber!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 19 (view)

Yes you can control dreams - and nightmares too.
Posted: 9/21/2007 6:55:45 PM
I agree...

From all that I've read and been told by dream "therapists" and counselors, it IS possible to reprogram your dreams. As mentioned above, it's best done right before you fall asleep. Decide what you are going to dream about. Watch a movie, show, read a book, read a letter or just repeat to yourself over and over what you WILL dream about.

I suffered for 2 years myself...it was hellacious. I had to decide, as well as reprogramming, that I wanted him gone from both my conscious AND subconscious.

You've got some really helpful folks here. Keep talking...!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 45 (view)

what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?
Posted: 9/17/2007 8:25:57 PM
Yes, nutmeg. Eeeshhh! Ditto brussels sprouts and lima beans, Fist!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 35 (view)

Looking for a recipe for anything? No matter how weird?
Posted: 9/10/2007 4:26:19 PM
Is this sauce served with gau gee and crispy won tons? If so, hmmm, probably a plum sauce. Is it really red? I don't care for that partick sweet sauce - guess I'm more of a spicy chicky!

Maybe you should try a super delicious staple that is EVERYWHERE here in Hawaii...it's called Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. Just a tad spicy and sweet. I have a ginormous bottle in my fridge. Just so nummers!

WW
 WaikikiWahine

Great Sandwhich
Posted: 9/10/2007 4:10:29 PM
Hi Jannick,

Look at the description above my post re: Monte Cristos. That's a better description than I could give you.

The Macadamia Nut Factory (old in reference to the fact that it's long gone) was a restaurant in Waikiki, circa 1982, that served a frickin' fanstastic Monte Cristo sandwich. Ham, turk, cheddar and swiss cheese on french bread (not sourdough). They deep fried it and sprinkled powered sugar on top. Served it with some kinda dip, which I don't recall now. Probably Ranch, since Ranch was just coming into it's own here, way back then!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 26 (view)

my pasta always clumps!!!
Posted: 9/10/2007 3:40:36 PM
More water than you need (1 gal to 1 lb of pasta is good) + salt + stir, stir, stir as it hits the boiling water = perfection. As RK said, only rinse to shock the pasta out of continued cooking.

WW
 WaikikiWahine

Dill pickle and Peanut butter sandwiches...
Posted: 9/10/2007 3:29:28 PM
Oh! Any Witchy? Dunno if I mentioned it before, but Mom and Dad BOTH loved (Mom's still addicted) to PB and mayo sandwiches (and/or) toast with lettuce. Mom loves toast with PB and mayo. Rather thicker than I would like, but hey, if a little thing like that makes you happy, why the heck not?

I confess, I love the PB, mayo and lettuce myself!

WW
 WaikikiWahine

Posted: 9/10/2007 3:26:29 PM
Suzy Q-tie!!

You so funny...you sound so legal-like and all!

I think, try it once, if ya hate it, no harm, no foul. I WILL be trying it. Going grocery shopping tonight and will buy the bread and butter slices. Sounds good on a cracker, too, methinks.

WW
 WaikikiWahine

Posted: 9/10/2007 1:36:31 PM
Hiya RK and Suzy!!!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 9/10/2007 1:34:52 PM
'K, so I haven't tried the pickles with the PB...I'm willing, though! Dill would prob. be my preference, as I like the garlicky action there.

What about bread and butter pickle slices? Not too sweet, not too tart - no garlic. Just wondering.

I did try the PB and bacon. No likey. I'm using chunky, though, maybe that's why? Also, I had an Aussie roomie who turned me on to Vegemite sammies. Very good! She toasted whole wheat bread. Spread Vegemite on one side and buttered the other. Then, she put sharp cheddar cheese on both sides and popped it under the broiler again. Must say, it was quite yummy! Veg to me tastes a bit like thickened beef bouillon.

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 16 (view)

Great Sandwhich
Posted: 9/7/2007 1:29:33 PM
Harley! Oh, yeah, Monte Cristo...I still remember freaking my roommate out (unintentionally). I'd gone to lunch with my BF's parents. I ordered the Monte Cristo at the old Macadamia Nut Factory. It was perfect. However, they did dust the top with powdered sugar.

So, it was gi-normous. I ate half and put the rest in the fridge. Roommie came home pretty soused and grabbed my sammie, thinking it was a donut!!! Hah! Joke was on her when she bit into it. She took a bite and threw it out...Thanks, girl!

She told me the next day...I laughed till I puked. That's what she gets, huh?

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 129 (view)

Wierd sandwiches we ate as kids or anything else!
Posted: 9/6/2007 3:18:33 PM
Oh, Lady, the chopped beef and cream cheese with a Claussen? Heaven!

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 55 (view)

Posted: 8/17/2007 4:22:25 PM
En garde, what a fabulous recipe! I likey!
 WaikikiWahine

the ultimate sandwich...
Posted: 8/17/2007 4:15:36 PM
Oh, wow, Earth, that sounds awesome, all except the A1. Don't know why I don't like that stuff, but there it is.

Have you melted provolone and swiss together? I've been told that each improves the taste of the other (not that they need improving).
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 33 (view)

Vegetarian Meals
Posted: 8/17/2007 4:04:26 PM
...neener, neener...hah!

I absolutely LOVE the flame-grilled Boca Burgers! Really impressive.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 3 (view)

Yummy Apricot Appetizer
Posted: 8/16/2007 4:16:59 PM
"pooey", hah!

I imagine you could do this with any stone fruit?
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 48 (view)

Posted: 8/16/2007 4:06:37 PM
Speaking of shrimp and pizza, Zette, the two are an awesome combo!

I buy the frozen 16-20's and soak 'em in o. oil, sherry and garlic, splash lemon. Make a bechamel for the pizza base. Then, cover the pie with shrimp, capers, bell peppers, shrooms, onions, minced garlic and top with swiss cheese. A real heart stopper. You can even drizzle some of the marinade over.

Are you baking your shrimp?
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 45 (view)

Posted: 8/16/2007 3:31:49 PM
Good one, Random! I agree, red bell would be good. Maybe roasted red bells. They would certainly compliment the seafood.

Show ALL Forums