Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Guys, do you mind if a girl wears comfortable or baggy clothes?
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 14 (view)

Guys, do you mind if a girl wears comfortable or baggy clothes?
Posted: 10/2/2009 9:50:29 PM
I can only speak for myself on this but, I think it's important to wear clothing that is appropriate- cycling clothes and a helmet for a bike ride, full crash protection for motorcycling, a dress to a fancy dinner, quick dry clothes for a weekend of back country hiking..... baggy and comfortable is cool for most of the time. As for make up and hair style... I want to see women as they are in their natural state. I'm sure this varies from woman to woman ie a granola-ish green anti-consumerism woman I would expect to not to wear any make up and a woman moving up in a career is way more likely to wear make-up... But that said making a good first impression is important I just wish we could do it ourselves naturally without having to hide or embellish features with make-up or other stuff. Do what you do and keep it real... don't do something to be what you're not and then change back to yourself when you've attracted the man you want because he'll be attracted to who you were not who you are.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 13 (view)

Best thermogenic ?
Posted: 6/28/2009 7:36:56 PM
I concur with the ones who suggested going to the gym but I have broader point of view and I'll just say the best thermogenic is high intensity exercise. And forget about the drugs. Yeah high intensity exercise better results, safer, 100% natural and less expensive too- The answer is obvious.

Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 85 (view)

Should You Take Exercise Advice From Out of Shape People?
Posted: 6/2/2009 8:41:01 AM
geee I guess I wasn't following the thread that well... I thought I'd just offer my basic opinion on simple question of whether a fat person could give fitness advice.... Little did I realize it has degenerated into the usual bashing of personal training and fitness training in gyms. Way to keep on topic folks (can you sense the sarcasm). And good way to brag about yourself and your prefered way of keeping fit peter4444.
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 82 (view)

Should You Take Exercise Advice From Out of Shape People?
Posted: 6/1/2009 6:03:20 PM
In bicycle racing young riders often take advice from 'fat' and 'out of shape' coaches. The coaches are older and have moved on from their racing days.. but often their appetite has not. Coaches are often too busy with family, work and coaching to actually go out and do the sport they love. Infact in my last few years of racing I'd make a big deal and want a camera anytime I saw a coach riding. So it is Okay to take advice from someone who is out of shape. [bold]Their knowledge, their experience and how they motivate you to be your best is far more important than their physical condition.[/bold]

cyclingmonk- but myself when I give guidence to young athletes I prefer to lead by example.

BTW
<div class="quote">personal trainers in my gym in pretty bad shape, they have big muscles but also a huge stomach If people are into pure strength and power- think powerlifters and weightlifter.. maybe shotput and hammer throwers.. that is the body type for their sport and grown with their training. They may have some training biases that are not applicable to fitness and being in shape... but then again many can work around their personal training biases and train others with other goals.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 27 (view)

How much time (minutes) per week do you exercise ??
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:48:06 PM
Hi H2O

These days to be honest I'm spending about 7 hours a week on a bike. I've been playing with my 11 month old nephew alot, but that doesn't really count. When I waa serious about making gains in my sport I'd train for 25-30 hour a week in a base training phase (cycling, skiing, skting, weights ++) and in season my training hours would drop to about 12 hours a week (all on bike). I think my biggest weeks ever were back packing/tramping and hitch hiking around New Zealand for a couple months and it seemed that I was on my feet for 10 hours a day, most days with about 30 kilograms on my back.

good luck with your survey

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 26 (view)

Carido
Posted: 5/14/2009 6:23:42 PM
ha ha

lycra cycling shorts are always a good base layer and wear a pair of baggy shorts over top and a baggy shirt or cycling jersey. You an only give up the baggy shorts and go in lycra alone when you have the same physique as those scrawny pros in the Giro dÍtalia (starting soon). Just kidding. But to be honest I think if one's gut doesn't bulge over the waistband of the shorts- then it's time to get the pro jersey and matching shorts of your favourite cycling star... or a blank skinsuit or local club kit if you decide to race.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 21 (view)

Carido
Posted: 5/14/2009 11:06:39 AM
Andrew

If you can chase a ball around a basketball court you can ride a bicycle... but at your weight please avoid the racers tight clothing styles. It is amazingly easy to begin and the skill is varied and limitless. For motivation just grab map and pick a location and go there just for the sake of seeing it. Anyone can ride just your fitness will determine where you go and who you ride with. Start, by yourelf, on flat roads close to home and work your way to the hills

If you chose the bike great if not I still wish you luck and success in your quest.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 10 (view)

Carido
Posted: 5/14/2009 5:35:00 AM
Andrew,
I'm not sure what carido but that is probably a little typo or is it a new martial art from Japan. Running is good but it can be very hard on the body for someone your size. I know of a great cardiovascular exercise that is 4 times fast thus atleast 4 times as fun as running and has none of the weight-bearing impact injury issues. I'm not suggesting using an ellipitcal trainer, nope, I'm definately not suggesting a stationary bike in a sweaty gym. I'm suggesting riding a bicycle. Yep, go 4 times faster than running, see more than 4 times as much stuff, have way more places to go. Now that is fitness and fun in one. You'll need a decent bicycle (shoes and clipless pedals, clothes, helmet, waterbottle and cyclecomputer are good accessories to have) and some instruction on how to use it is essential- a quick read up on pedal stoke and cadence is a start as well as bicycle fit- you can find this in magazine or online. If you want to be an off-roading mountain biker (even more fun) you should learn about weight shift. There are clubs at all levels that you could join for some company or advice. Remember you have to be going 4 times as fast as your running and atleast 2-6 times the distance to get a good benefit.

good luck in your fitness quest
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 4 (view)

SWINE FLU and Dating....
Posted: 4/27/2009 6:58:09 AM
Oh another flu scare in the media. If your healthy, not a baby and not eldarly it really shouldn't be a concern. You get sick, you suffer and you get better- life goes on. As of this morning there have been 25 cases in USA and Canada a population of 350 000 000 people..... Maybe if you're in Mexico it might be small concern.

But just the same I'd like to se us improve how we treat our livestock and poultry.

Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 31 (view)

Looking for some opinions...
Posted: 3/17/2009 5:24:24 AM
Hi Skandelicious

I stumbled across your profile and I was happy to see links to a forum post- it's been ages since I've seen that unless it's a profile I found through the forums. I hope you continue to use the forums and expand your scope here. ... otherwise you might seem narcissistic. You have good pictures and you are an attractive woman. But when I read your profile, to put it bluntly, I was turned off. I find your profile quite negative. You start with your anti-drama king thing and get right in to a bunch of "If you.... I'm not the girl for you." A big list of what you don't want. And you finish in the same vain at the end. This is NOT a good first and last impression.
Normal clothes for me is spandex cycling gear or quick dry casual wear designed for hiking and back packing.. is that normal for you? Don't ask for normal as each person's normal is different.
I know none of us want to meet liars but you have 10 points in your questions that say you don't want to meet liar- beit smoking liar, profile liars, height liars, picture liars... we get the picture. I'm left wondering how many liars you met when you were on here last time. Me I've met no liars.... but then again I've only met 2 people through PoF in 4 years and a bit. Then there is question #9 where you suggest that men doing online dating have no testes... questioning a man's manhood will not make us want to meet you. Very negative. Question 1 was ok maybe even good.
I found the bit in the middle about cover people and book people a bit pretentious and maybe a bit confusing as I'm not a reader or a non-reader .... then you finish that using as a metaphor for liars. There are no coverpeople and reader people it's more of a continuium all people look at covers and read books but there is a different value placed on each by every person. Most people picking up a Dostoyevsky without looking or caring about the cover heard that it was good and picked it up on that basis. Me, I need both and I like to think that most here are like me- but profiles like yours make me wonder.

You have failed to reach your target audience here, unless you think that we all just go by your picture or you think we like to be told that were liars and a shot at our manhood. I suggest that you scrap what you have written, the whole thing and start fresh. Rather that the negative lists that you have written Tell us about you, what you do, how having a relationship with you will improve our lives and what you are looking for(I understand not a liar and include that but try not to dwell on it too much and put a positive spin on it) and hopefully you are looking for more than that. If you must be like jeff foxworthy and list things off- think of positives and say "ýou might be the man for me" rather than I'm not the girl for you. Here's your sign .......or you just might be a redneck. I suggest writing us a story.. men are like kids and we all enjoy a good story... If you make it funny we'll know you're funny and have a sense of humour (note that sarcasm works very poorly in text doublely so if your are not familiar to your audience) Include some of your pastimes in the story so we know what you like to do and what you like about what you like to do. Its good to say I love my job it's better to say I love my job becuase nobody says anything when I waste time in the forums on PoF using my work supplied blackberry and look at the clock the rest of the day in anticipation of what I'm going to do at 5:00 when i can say Ego sum libertis and go (do what I really like)

I like to think that my advice is good, but what do I know. My profile gets about twenty hits a week and I'm embarassed to say how little mail I get. If you (or anyone here) can offer me any advice it would be appreciated

Good luck
the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk

When I eat greasy foods...
Posted: 3/16/2009 1:10:25 PM

like pizza i usually take a napkin and blot the pizza with it to absorb all the grease. usually you can see puddles of grease floating all over a slice of pizza. i take a clean napkin and try to absorb as much of the grease as i can.

OMG all those poor un consumed calories. Or give me a slice I'll put that enegry to good use. Oh you're not that active... and you don't need more calories in your diet- I guess I can make an exception or two.

I often eat vegetarian pizzas because I don't like the caliber of meat in pepperoni mmmm pepperoni.... and other meats commonly put on pizza and that incedently solves most of the grease problem there.

Keith "more exercise needs more calories in the diet" the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 24 (view)

hGH
Posted: 2/14/2009 11:47:17 AM
I know you want to cheat. But I'll give you a cheap way to get more HGH, avoid any overdose or management issues and get lean and it won't cost you very much. Exercise more. My old exercise physiology text book (McArdle, Katch and Katch) sites exercise a stimulus for the pituritary gland to release more HGH. It was suggested in a yahoo newsgroup I belong to that eating protein after exercise will facilitate the HGH release. So exercise and eat.

If you do take HGH be sure that you get proper monitoring of your hormone levels...you dont'want to be like some rumours I've hear of like one road racers feet grew 3 sizes in his mid 20's .... strange. And as recommended before check acromegly to see the results of chronic overuse of HGH.

Really the best solution is to fine a healthy (guy...or girl) friend to workout with... I'd offer but you're a bit to far away. Leave the HGH to the commercials and the stars that may or may not be taking them. Keep you're money for something more important.

Good luck
Keith the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk

Athletes going pro early...bad idea
Posted: 2/8/2009 12:09:51 PM
Why not ink the contract and make the millions. If you get injured, or if you get bored of the sport you'll have millions of dollars to pay for your college education. You can sit at a table and learn new things until you die..... maybe not so if your sport is boxing or auto racing the rest of them are pretty safe. If you are extremely good and lucky you may only get one or two chances to play pro and at some point long before you die your sport performance will taper off. Sieze the day!!

A NCAA title in basketball... forget that Lebraun James can look to a world championship or the olympics and a national title will mean almost nothing.

Keith the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 18 (view)

Good ab exercises
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:39:46 AM
Hello sea and sun one one

Coughing is a really good Ab exercise so go catch a couple colds each winter.....

But seriously:
My first question is what sort of results do you want for your abs?

I'm a bit of a strength and power junkie and I'll just go ahead and tell you my favourite two challenging ab exercises.

1 hang leg lifts. Hang from an overhead bar like a chin-up bar using your strongest grip and and lift and swing legs up and descend with control. Don't let yourself swing. Reps can be done in the sagital plane or bi planer - saggital-frontal to work the obliques more. and make sure you curl your hips towards your torso, not just your legs. If it is too difficult straight legged it can be done with the knees bent. Straight legs to easy... add ankle weights, chains, elastics or chain real a plate to your feet. Bonus is you get to work your whole body isometrically especially the forearms and hands.

2 got a partner? Life is always more fun when it's competitive so sit facing your partner legs together and beside your partner and lean back on your arms and hands. Both people lift their legs off the ground and make a circle with your feet that is about 1 yard in diameter one partner goes clockwise and the other goes counter clockwise- which means we now have 2 pairs of feet making the same circle. every xx reps (rotations) change direction and go until someone can't take anymore.

Back to my original comment coughing is about he only ab workout I've doen in years and my abs look fine.

enjoy
Keith the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 25 (view)

Are all gyms this way?
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:02:02 AM
Adani , you are right everyone and there dog should have and probably does have a cpr certification... because it is essential and it is cheap. The Club I worked at was very expensive for the clients and very cheap when it came to paying for anything and they'd even shout the floor staff and trainers a cpr re-cert. And I would suspect the Y people learn the machine and the muscle trained on it, how to use the machine to train that muscle and we can't forget the safety concerns for the machine. But beyond that they would have the knowledge they bring to the job with them. From the Y course they likely won't know about stucturing training for greater gains toward the clients' goals, alternative exercises, how to change the clients program when they plateau, how doing the same exercise in different ways changes how the muscle develops energy, speed and strength of a movement.... and the list goes on....

Ummmm Dave, you know it's funny in our third year a nationally ranked x-c skier and I were having a very similar discussion- who is fit. From her somewhat elitist perspective there were only 3 or 4 people she consider phyically fit in our year, 123 students. I suggested that she could include a few other people but she is on the right track. To add some irony a friend from the local speed skating club started calling me an elitist athlete about the same time. I thought about my classmates abit and I realized that knew stoned, drunken, chain smoking bike couriers that would put most of them to shame in terms of endurance and probably strength too. Most people in class were inspired by a phys. Ed. teacher in their past and wanted to be the same. When we started many just quit their sports or maybe kept fit enough to play well in a recreational league. So I guess the answer to your first question is most of the ones with the degree are ex-athletes that don't really practice what they preach or are content to look they way they do. If you're not content with the way you look you are in risk of developing body dismorphia psychological disorders.

As for not know various exercises... there are alot of exercises one can do in the gym some are better than other and many have the same or very similar effects as other. I can say specifically about the curved back good morning, that it put the back in a very vunrable position with the muscles around the spine extended like that a slight mistake can cause a catastrophic back failure. That's why they don't remember that one. If you don't mind me asking who would you recommend this exercise to and why? That's why they don't remember that one. As for the deadlift they should know a bit about that. But they were probably told that it is used mostly by those interested in powerlifting and few others would be interested and a squat works the same back, butt and leg muscles and the squat is safer... and then moved on to the squat. I personally think that that is sad because I think the deadlift is a better general conditioner than the squat... get that forearm grip and incidental shoulder strength while the legs, butt and back get strong. When I took full control of my training in 2001 I reduced my gym work to 2-4 variations on 5 basic exercises and improve every year I cared about for the last 7 years I was serious. Please enlighten me on the round back good morning- I'm always keen to learn- knowledge is power.

But I do think that we are straying abit from the topic....this about why you cnat get good help in a fitness center, club or Y or what ever not about who is the best.... So, once again most gyms are like that because they are set up for profit.... Good floor staff doesn't matter because it cost money they don't need to spend and all they really need to do to keep the company safe is have CPR so the company doesn't get killed financially if someone dies of a heart attack while working out. The most knowledgable person I met in the health and fitness field said "a monkey can train a monkey for 2 years and get results to go beyond that you need a good, knowledgable trainer" Thank you and RIP Dr Siff. Find which fitness centres have a plan to keep members going consistantly for more than 2 years? Find that and you might have found a good one. Of course the clients need to stick with the trainer for 2 years to see if they're any good and that is likely to be the bigger problem.

sorry this has been so long, thanks for reading
Keith the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 19 (view)

Are all gyms this way?
Posted: 2/6/2009 11:04:45 PM
OP yes sadly most gym are that way.

on a more general note. But OP take a look my inside persective might shed some light.

I am one with the 4 year Kinesiology degree and I had the C-pafla testing , first aid and certified Kinesiologist certifications. Very few fitness clubs have people with these certifications because they are modeled on marketing, profits and sales. I don't think it has changed but 10 years ago I could get as much as 12$ an hour working full time in a fitness club. You could make more if you personal trained but to do that you need to sell yourself and sell out (two things I don't like and I'm not good at). I found making programs for general fitness and weight loss quite boring- do something, eat less, do more, change your something a bit once in a while. About 12$/h, it just doesn't cover the bills to maintain CK status you pay an annual fee of 350$ to get you continuing education points will cost you atleast 500$ for attending a couple of seminars a year. Sort of like speaking english there are many ways to work out. And it depends on the individuals' goals and phase of training. So there is no such thing as training wrong... just training inappropriately. If I saw something strange I'd ask the client why. If I saw something dangerous I'd stop them. And I was always happy to offer advice and demonstate or help with exercises. I've since applied my knolwedge to my own successful sports career, the rehabilitation of injuries for a couple of friends and it gave me a wonderful prespective for teach english in VietNam many of my students connected well with teach speech as a physical skill.
But the fitness industry is about $$$$$ and it's all for the owners and sales persons- a manager who is at the club 55 hour a week and on call the rest of the time was making about 37000 a year at that time. And nothing is left for the man who provides service to the customers so you get a bunch of apathetic muscle heads with a bit of first aid training.
Oh I forgot to explain how personal training works...just when I left my job the company started sticking it's hands in the personal training well. And the club would charge 50$ -70$per hour and the trainer would get 20 or 25.
I decided I'd return to the fitness industry if I decide to open a facility of my own.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 1 (view)

how do women define drug use?
Posted: 1/30/2009 2:58:39 AM
Last night, I was talking to a long time friend who is on POF, actually he recommended POF to me. Anyways he's telling me that he's back on POF after a bit of a break. And he also tells me he has been getting some responses from young woman and implied he's looking for more mature women. I asked to look at his profile to see if I could give some constructive critism. In his about me section he spoke a lot about being blunt and honest. But I had to point out that this as a hypocrasy as I know that he uses soft drugs occasionally- less than daily or weekly and he claims not to use drugs in the short answer and check it off section. He said he is not a hypocrite because it is only causal use and he only uses soft drugs- weed cookies and shroom tea (and I don't have a problem with his use, I'm happy for him I think it helps him manage his depression better). I said that I think many women would be surpise by his use because his profile says that he doesn't take drugs. And he said many woman will agree with him that if he is taking weed and shrooms, several times a year isn't really doing drugs- they aren't hard drugs, they aren't bad drugs and his use is very casual. My definitons are a bit strict. I define drugs as a substance that someone take to change mood, preception or the endocrine system. Yes, I include nicotine, caffine and alcohol as drugs but they're legal and dealt with in other parts of the profile and I don't expect someone to check the "I use drugs box" for those. So soft drug, hard drug, prescription drugs, over the counter drugs and maybe some "natural supplements" should all be a reason to check that box. I consider 1-4 times in a lifetime experimentation, over that casual use up to one or two times a month above that it is regular use or addiction. I'm still not sure where to put over the counter drugs like asprin because people are likely to take asprin for more than 4 colds in their lives.....

I've experimented with caffine as a performance enhancer in sport 2x once in a lab and 7 years later in competition... and wow I must say 300 mg changes the way I preceive everything for a couple hours and 600mg is a real performance enhancer... why didn't I use the 600 mg in competition... I didn't want to be sick for 7 hours and i felt almost as wired on one mountain dew amped.

Anyways my question is how do women define a drug user? Should my friend have something besides "no" next to the drug use box. Am I too nerdy and strict with my definitions.

Sorry to involve you in our chatter but I think if we know the truth we wll both be better on-line daters
Thanks in advance for any input
Keith the cyclingmonk

oh and a quick check of drugs in the ask a woman topic forum didn't yield any quick answers to the my question, once again your input is much appreciated.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 18 (view)

digital camera advice
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:15:54 PM
after a month of researching on the internet. I decided the best camera for me was an olympus SP-560. I've taken about 200 photos in the last week and I am quite happy with the results. I also picked up a Olympus mju 850-sw most because I think having a compact waterproof camera is a good complement to having a chunky ultrazoom camera. And I'm looking forward to taking some under water pictures.

thanks for all the suggestions
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 16 (view)

digital camera advice
Posted: 8/31/2008 6:38:58 PM
Renaissance man

The best application I know of for a web cam is to add a live image to a chat or phone conversation on the internet. If you and your girl friend can both download yahoo or MSN messenger. Add one another to your contact list. Then if you are both on the internet at the same time you can see one another and chat at the same time. You have a video converstion if you use Skype - but I find that the video takes up too much bandwidth and the voice becomes tinny unless you both have a very good connection.

I've found the quality of the image from the web cameras to be rather dissappointing for other applications. For still images get a digital camera. For a movie get a video camera. They do the job that much better.

Regarding you chat site. It sounds like there wasn't anyone there or anyone else with their camera on and sharing their image.
Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 15 (view)

digital camera advice
Posted: 8/29/2008 1:17:15 AM
Thanks wowsad

Since I posted this I have put in my time looking at DPreview and IR review. I think the camera available in stores today that is most like my beloved Olympus c-5500 sport is the Canon a720is. Reading reviews and looking at features I also really liked the Olympus p-550uz- it has all the features of my old olympus and more. And all reviews say that it work well for all the pictures I stated I like taking in past posts. And wow 18x zoom starting at a wide angle 28mm equivilent, but I am worried abit about the size. A local shop as a canon s3 is, that I'm also considering becuase of the positive reviews and features, but it too is an ultra zoom and I'm still not sure I want to care something that big.

And thanks to the posters who brought up the canon elph. Ihe the unlikely chance I decide to go extra compact this line of cameras will be my first choice.

But it is starting to look like I might have to hold off on my camera purchase because I am in the wrong country or atleast the wrong neighbourhood of the wrong country. Here in Ho Chi Minh city a Canon a590is is priced at 4000000 dong (about 250 USd) at the low end and 5250000 (about 320 USd) at the Canon store. This is outrageous I could go to Thailand buy the camera and come back for just a few dollars more.

Any further suggestions of what to consider besides the canons and the olympus are still welcome.

thanks again
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 7 (view)

digital camera advice
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:16:43 PM
Padawan

Most D-slr are on compact flash cards. All others are on sd/mmc or xd

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 6 (view)

digital camera advice
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:10:22 PM
lets see how brief I can be

My favourite subject to take photos of are

-panoramics of landscapes and sports venues (sometimes indoors)
-more landscapes
-macros of flowers and insects
-moving things- sports and wild animal
- but I like to be ready for anything. I've taken some nice timelaps photos of me packing a car full of bicycles at night and of the effects of the setting sun in a valley by arthurs pass in Newzealand. So this is an ultra-brief summary of the photos I like to take.

Size wise I don't want to carry a Dslr- it's too bulky to carry up the mountains.

thanks to for all the responses so far. I will look at the fuji's and Canons.

thanks again
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk

digital camera advice
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:23:31 PM
Hello PoF forum people

I need some help finding a new camera. In 2005 I was lucky to stumble on to and buy a Olympus C-5500 camedia sport. This was the perfect camera for me and I took many great picture. I like taking panoramic pictures of mountain vistas, other landscapes and of large structures- bridges and sports venues. I was very impresed with the cameras abitlity to take lowlight and night pictures. I liked the direct histogram feature and the long battery life 200+ pictures on a charging of 4 AA batteries. I also enjoyed playing with black and white and sepia finishes and time lapse made for a few interesting collection of pictures. I found an optical viewfinder a big assest when capturing the action of my favourite sport- track bicycle racing. The view finder was essential to compensate for the lag btween pressing the shutter release and capturing the image. The size was a bit on the big side for my traveling and hikign purposes but was acceptable. Sadly my camera was severely damaged when I mashed it against a rock on the mountains in the shadow of Mount Cook in NewZealand.

I bought an Olympus Fe-310 as a cheap replacement to get me through the rest of my trip around the world. And it is failing miserably. The super macro is like the marco of my old camera. When the light gets dim it can't focus on anything. For example at Angkor Wat I saw some monkeys at dusk the camera wouldn't focus no mater what mode I tried. Similary if I see a gecko in my room here in HCMC the focus is not happening no matter what mode is used. The battery life is pathetic 40-70 pictures on a charging of the batteries and this morning with no pictures take since the last charging the camera is telling me the batteries are dead. Not really relevant to takign picture but the FE-310 and the icons on the mode dial have worn off in only 4 months. All I like about the camera is the size and the panoramic function is improved over my previous camera. Any benefit of the extra 3 megapixels over the C-5500 sport has been lost in the programing of the camera.

thanks in advance
Keith
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 539 (view)

If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:52:41 PM
OP.

No, I don't think this is being to critical. Communication is very important. If I recieved a message with very poor spelling and grammar I'd probably send a message back to them that satirically stresses the importance of good grammar and spelling or if it is appropriate I'd offer to help them with their spelling and grammar.

Would I refuse to write back- unlikely. Would I refuse the person... that depends on how I feel about that person.

Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 3 (view)

Cheese Whiz
Posted: 6/11/2008 6:44:01 PM
Nope I don't use much cheese whiz. It's not only tasty but it is suprisingly healthy, that's another story. The last time I was into cheese whiz was in the late 1990's. I seem to remember a fellow bike racer and myself (two of the fastest cyclists in Ontario at the time) consuming over half a jar of cheese whiz and a box of trisciut imitation crackers in a single sitting while having a good yarn.... proabably the positive nutrional characteristics was one of the topics.

cheers
Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 21 (view)

chili and ...peanutbutter
Posted: 10/31/2007 5:57:35 AM
mmmm I think that could work. In a lot of asian cooking (specifically- schezwan, thai) they have chilies and nuts (peanuts, almonds...). I've been making a wanna be schezwan stir fry for a dozen years with peanut butter, garlic, soya sauce and chilies..... so chili with a peanut butter sandwich... why not... it's not that far out.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 64 (view)

Why do people put so little on their profiles?
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:35:23 AM
I'd like to ad a historical/habit reason to short profiles.... 15 years ago singles might have posted personal ads in the newspaper where they were charged by word or number of characters. So if you could get your point across in few words you could afford to run your add more days and longer. I'm a single male became S/M seeks....these sort or abbreviations still show up once in a while. And before highspeed and before high bandwiths became cheap the personals sites would limit your musings to 500 or 2000 characters. I like how I can type as much as I want here and I'm somewhat amused by all the women that say " I can t define myself in such a small box " when the box is endless... this isn't the newpaper personals anymore.

Regarding other posts: I do agree that: laziness,short attention span of internet user, the photo seems more important, having something to hide, forum trolling profile, a second low profile profile for viewing profiles(and haven't found the link to turn off the who viewed me) or posting.... are legitimate reasons why profiles are short are around. But the idea that it leave more to discuss when you meet just shows the typical lack of deapth one expects to find on the internet- there are always details to expand one with some thought. And the idea that you might write something that would scare potential relationships. Scare them off up front and then you won't start something that will fail because of your scary point.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 48 (view)

What do you do when a guy you are talking to talks about his ex all the time?
Posted: 9/3/2007 12:25:41 AM
Lumbee

We have no idea of what he's telling you about her. If it's about missing her or trash talking her, I agree with the other posters, that could be a problem. But if it's about past experiences. Drag his lonely homebody butt out to make some new experiences (with you so he can tell all his other friends about it) or tell him to get some new experiences of his own to talk about.

cyclingmonk-trying to put a positive et out there and do something spin on this thread
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 22 (view)

if a guy turned up for a date in a costume, what would you do?
Posted: 7/28/2007 9:07:20 PM
Hey fused

Honestly I don't think that your idea is so good for a first date/first impression. Most of the women that have responded saying that they would find a quick exit. Even you realize:

It seems my fellow men are with me on this; I could be starting a dating revolution here!

So wearing a crazy costume to a first date maybe good if you want to scare women or date other men that think it's cool.

May I suggest leave the fun costume date for maybe a 3 rd, 4th, 5th.... xxth date. After you survived those first few boring dates, I'm sure you'll be comfortable enough to suggest it. Go crazy (if you find a woman that is into it) suggest dressing up and go infotrating (the art/sport of going in to buildings (spaces in buildings) where you don't belong) the local abandoned factory.

Good luck... and don't wear a costume to the first date.

Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 10 (view)

Are you surprised at the type of people that contact you?
Posted: 7/22/2007 7:11:42 AM
just a different venue for the same old ~ same old...

I find this quite true, hence I'm in the quiet forum corner over here, watching the meet market maddness. I've put up a decent front and I'm trying to keep an open mind and an open eye to find someone who appeals to me, but not finding anyone of interest and generally not meeting anyone.... just like the rare times I go out.

Regarding the original question... I don't have a problem with attracting people who have no common ground with me. But I do find it a bit suprising that the average age of women that have favourite listed me is 7 years oder than me and last I knew most of the girls I was meeting in real life were about 5-9 years younger than me.

cyclingonk
 cyclingmonk

Dating guy, spends every weekend w/me. Saw his POF, he sends point gifts to others.
Posted: 7/9/2007 3:12:55 AM
Myrtel

Your guy is either playing with your emotions or with the emotions of the women to whom he has been sending the gifts .... unless the gifts are accompanied by an email that reads "hey for ____________ reason I like you but I'm in a relationship with the best woman in the world and all you're going to get is this little cheap egift." Otherwise at best he's playing with the emotions of the gift recieving women for fun, do you really want to be with a person that thinks that sort of thing is fun? Personally I wouldn't.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk

Favourite knife?
Posted: 3/19/2007 9:54:02 AM
hi Luminryl

My favourite kitchen knife was a 10'' long (and about 3'' high) Victorianox that I used in a ski hill kitchen. Each week I'd thin slice about 10 pounds of tomatoes, dice 4 pounds of onions and turn 5 or 6 heads of lettuce to shreads. I didn't know much about sharpening knives so the other cook would sharpen the knife with a regular sharpening stone on a handle twice a week for me..... I'd ask him to sharpen it when I'd start to have a rough time getting through the tomatoes. If I was settled and at the point where I'm getting quality kitchen equipment I'd be looking for a nice Victorianox (for now I just travel with my victorianox made swiss army knife)... and those knives at the ski hill they dissappeared over the summer and the next year I got to cut the same stuff with cheap knives we were even given a serrated knife never balked at cutting into a tomato's skin... but it just wasn't the same.

In the end I won't recommend a victorianox knife because you need to get the right knife for you. In an ideal world you might find a place that would let you test cut some stuff so you can get a feel for the knife (weight, balance, grip)... cause it does make a difference.

cyclingmonk- just cares about using quality equipment- never about the name on it.
 cyclingmonk

Friendly Flirting
Posted: 3/15/2007 11:37:51 AM
A little friendly flirting never hurt anyone.

cyclingmonk "willing to chat with anyone for aleast a little bit"
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 31 (view)

tooth pics in public
Posted: 3/14/2007 2:20:42 PM
OK now that we've establihed that it is quite rude to pick your teeth at the table after dinner regardless of the tooth pick being supplied. (note to self not to pick teeth when out on a date with a lady) What is one to do about the stuff stuck between teeth after the meal? Is it worse to leave it in there then pick the teeth for a few seconds? Even if done discreetly-pick pick and swallow? And were does doing tooth pick tricks like flipping the toothpick in ones mouth or my habit of chewing mint toothpicks fit in to good manners... as I'm not using it to pick my teeth.

cyclingmonk "tying to be socially acceptable"
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 99 (view)

Fish Personalities.....
Posted: 3/14/2007 9:46:11 AM
Ok I've solved my fish personality dilema.... but they don't have a fish with a bicycle ... er how does that saying go? (insert thinking smilie here)

Back to the biology bit. I'm going have to start to look at profiles to see who / laugh at all the people who say they're barnacles- noted in the biology world not just for being hermaphorditic (like many other inertabrates) but also having the longest penis in the animal kingdom (thank you Dr Deacon for making sure I never forget that fact)--- what a way to increase activity on the site. :)

once again happy fish picking
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 76 (view)

Fish Personalities.....
Posted: 3/14/2007 7:01:25 AM
ha ha ha I agree with many other posters this is geeky, nerdy, dorky, cute... generally it adds a nice, cute novelty value to the profiles on the site.

But now I'm have problems finding a fish (that is perferably on the list) to represent me. One that generally moves slowly but is capable of moving very fast, that isn't considered dangerous, and doesn't stay in one location or follow regular migration patterns........ hmmmm.

happy fish picking
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk

fitness singles
Posted: 3/8/2007 7:09:03 PM
Hi PoFers

I recently bought a membership with fitness singles. Yeah I know... why pay when you can just go plenty of fishing. Well the main reason was that I received an email saying that I got an email on their site (hey I'm an athlete I had to put up a profile there- its free and they advertise here and on canadian cyclist, fixed gear fever and some other on-line haunts of mine). I decided to send one of there quick "show interest" messages to her- out of courtesy and interest. Shortly after I sent that quick message I realized that she had probably sent me the same sort or message even though I couldn't read it because you need a paid membership to read messages. The next day I got an email from her I knew that she had (probably bought) a membership, to contact me. Keeping to my on-line dating isn't worth paying for philosophy I hung out on-line hoping that she'd IM me bcause non-paying memebers are supposed to be able to receive IMs from members. In the end I felt bad that she had bought a membership to contact me and I bought an membership to read her email and write back to her. Sadly after a couple more emails exchanged and a few minutes of IM she didn't communicate with me for a month until I messaged her on MSN this week. But hey I had a month to email, IM and used the chatroom

Email... I'm pretty picky about who I email- I sent out 4 emails that month to profiles that interested me. I had a response from one woman. And we agreed that we're at different stages of our lives and because of that she won't meet me.... no problem... but too bad I'm not where I want to be in 3 or 4 years.

IM- nobody responds to IMs from strangers. When I'm a stranger I'm no exception.

The chatroom. Holycow it was pathetic. Members would login and logout. login hangout and logout. Usually without saying anything. I made it a point to make lots of chatter when I was in the room. I'd greet everyone. I'd start conversations(how's the weather, what do you do to keep fit) just to waste some time and see who I can meet. I had pretty good chats with 5 or 6 women during the month and got a couple real email addresses from that. But as usual for me when I find a mutually interested woman on the internet she's generally half a contenient away.

So that was my fitness singles experience. Not very many interesting local members. Evenless that will have mutual interest. And a dead chatroom, but if you work at making it lively you can meet some other members that probably live far away. But they do deliver on having lots of fitness activity minded people posting profiles. And their advertisements supports many sport related websites. So overall I don't recommend fitness singles. I think they have a long way to go... atleast in building membership. And that whole "show interest" message appearing as a email rather than showing up as a "show interest" is confusing, dishonest and underhanded. To leave on a positive note the mailing system is great and there IM was flawless to my experience.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 112 (view)

Plentyoffish turns 4 years old today.
Posted: 3/1/2007 5:14:57 PM
Happy Brithday and congratulations on all you success may you have many more years of success.

Happy Brithday PoF
Cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 15 (view)

ok guys i need your help!
Posted: 2/28/2007 9:27:51 PM

op

A gentleman.... nope make that a man should never ask for the return of something given from his heart (same applies to women). You're ex isn't even a real man. I concur with the others quit accepting any contact (mail, email, phone or inperson) if he persists get a restraining order and refer him to your lawyer.

sense and my 2 cents
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 17 (view)

exactly what does hangout mean?
Posted: 2/16/2007 4:29:45 PM
I interpret hangout as being interesting in meeting anyone. Not nessarily with any distinctive purpose in mind- coupld be just to talk and kill sometime, could be to be friends, to date or in some cases to have a long term or an intimate relation. But if you are looking for something more specific it's best to specify what your intentions are. That being said I think I'll switch my purpose back to hangout cause that is that is what I really want to do just give me a reason to get out, do some quality time killing with some new interesting people before I get back to serious adventuring/racing and wandering in a few months.

chau for now
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 27 (view)

Who gets over 300 messages a day?
Posted: 2/8/2007 3:20:12 PM
Um just adding my 2 cents. For the record the most messages I've received in a day is 3 and one day I had 2 messages each one from a different women. And it is a rare day that I get a message. With that record I don't think I'm qualified to give any advice on how to get more messages. But I can assure you that you are not alone in not getting alot of messages here.
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 268 (view)

Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:28:52 AM
Over the years I've come across a few scamers from Ghana, Nigeria, a girl in greece that said she's a model from the US and needs money to get home, that have asked me for money- no luck for them. Most of them left me alone after a bit but I think I ended up blocking one. After a week or two of chatting one asked me to send money I refused to send any and the person became quite rude. Actually over the years I've only paid out about 70$ in online dating- to the big scamers the ones who want money to check your email on their site. I've also come across l a few russians but they left me alone when I told them I wasn't interested in a long distance committed relationship, but I'd be happy to chat and exchange pictures and stories and that I'm not ready to settle down and start a family. And I've come across a few adbots and never paid to not meet them either. All on yahoo and AS. Nothing on PoF- Keep up the good work guys.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 12 (view)

Study about procrastination is 5 years late.........
Posted: 1/15/2007 8:12:12 PM
um I think I'll go back to lurking in the forums and I'll post a comment another day
:)

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 62 (view)

Where are all the good guys?
Posted: 12/23/2006 7:08:28 AM
I can't speak for other guys but Keep away from me. I am 100% evil, a substance abuser, a people user, a destoryer of nature and a terrible sense of humour. Oh and no language skills (ha that is a sentence fragment standing alone).

Merry Christmas
chau
cyclingmonkjavascript:smilie('')
 cyclingmonk

Love at the Laundromat
Posted: 10/23/2006 10:00:05 AM
quel histoire

And I thought that landromat romance was only in "landromat song" by the deadmilkmen

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 153 (view)

The most inspirational song when you're down.
Posted: 10/20/2006 10:05:04 PM
lots of good suggestions for pick me up music. I love music and I could go on forever but I'll try to limit myself.... right now I'm thinking about songs that pick me up and are about pick yourself up...So I'll add "feeling alright" by LEN to the list, the Diana Krall version of "pick yourself up" and "It's a good day" by the Susie Arioli swing band.

have a good day
Keith the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 4 (view)

I am a moron...(flirting problem)
Posted: 10/13/2006 6:49:56 AM
BB

It's not that you're a moron. I've done the same or similar many times. I think it's better to blame it on having been conditioned not to talk to strangers as a child.... a little bit too well.

cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 26 (view)

Does your profile allow Instant Messaging? Why?
Posted: 8/4/2006 10:38:16 AM
My profile allows instant messages because I like meeting new people and I'm not going to shut a person out just because they prefer intant messaging to emailing. And I've only had 1 stranger IM me in well... um.. more time than I care to admit to having been here. I say bring on the IMs.

good luck
cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 52 (view)

Googling the guy's name
Posted: 7/26/2006 6:28:24 AM
Since everyone is telling all about their egosearchs on google, I'll join in. My name gets about 200 hits and most of the first 50 are my results from bicycle races.

And I'll add that an internet search is probably a good check to do. But you might want to think twice about telling your new beau or belle, that you googled them and found a bunch of other information about them on the internet. I was a little freaked out when a woman was able to tell me my address and phone number, before I gave it to her. I've solved that by moving around alot and not having an address or a phone number.... ha ha seriously I just don't give out my whole name until I've know someone for a bit.

Keith the cyclingmonk
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 36 (view)

lying about your age
Posted: 7/4/2006 8:24:34 PM
All this talk about lying about your age. I agree with all the posters that say that lying is bad be it about age or anything else. But wouldn't it be great if POF had an option to put something like "guess my age", "I'd rather not say" or "that is personal", in place of our age that is calculated off our birthday we included on our registration.

Just a thought
cyclingmonk

Show ALL Forums