Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Would you date a guy without a car
 PlainJon
Msg: 388 (view)

Would you date a guy without a car
Posted: 9/8/2013 9:53:00 AM
Well I have a driver's license and I have never wanted to drive. I could afford a car many times over, but I see so many crazy drivers out there, distracted while texting, running red lights, and the sort that I just do not feel comfortable.
If not having a car is a deal breaker then obviously the lady puts little emphasis on compatibility and what the other person is all about.
 PlainJon
Msg: 329 (view)

Posted: 8/14/2012 6:32:46 AM
Yes the license is cheap...
A car is not. I can afford a car many times over. I just don't feel comfortable driving.
I got my license in 1978 and keep the license up every 5 years.
But insurance is the kicker...Even though I am in my 50's and have never driven, I called many insurance companies and as a first time uninsured person regardless of age it would be almost $6,000 for one year.
Now that is definitely not an investment I would make just so I maybe could get a date out of it.
I'll rent a limo first for a night on the town.....
If it is all about a car then perhaps the other person is not worth it. Just the same if a person in a vegetarian..is that a deal breaker? I wouldn't date him or her because they don't eat meat. We have to accept other people's lifestyle choices and try to accommodate our lives around that choice.
 PlainJon
Msg: 7 (view)

Would a man who cried a lot bother you?
Posted: 3/29/2012 4:20:44 PM
I still am amused how this is misinterpreted here so much.
Yes if someone male or female cries over everything every single moment of the day or often during the day they have unresolved issues.
I meant during movies, reading certain passages in books or seeing an article about someone terminally ill or a family who has lost a family member in an accident.
I don't think it out of the ordinary to cry from time to time. Some men refuse to cry (and women too) when a loved one dies. They think if they internalize it it will make them stronger. I think the opposite. Holding in makes one weaker and they are ready for a big crash down the road by not letting it out.
Whenever I saw my mother cry at a movie, just seeing her cry, was like a switch was flicked and I would tear up too. Again I don't mean a waterfall I just mean misting up a little.
I do not own stock in Kleenex tissues because I cry that much. I meant every so often.
 PlainJon
Msg: 20 (view)

Occupy London Dismantling
Posted: 11/10/2011 7:52:21 PM
They made their point.....End of story.
They should have been evicted long ago.
They protested the rich of society, but wait....
they conversed on cell phones of which mega-corporations make millions and
were seen smoking cigarettes of which mega-corporations make millions.
Of course they were wearing some expensive clothing of which mega-corporations make millions, and they of course seemed focused on the banking system and Wall Street.
Interesting how they protest against some things but accept others....
 PlainJon
Msg: 5 (view)

Photos & Comments: London, Ontario, Up on Carling: Live to Air Radio Dance, September 23rd
Posted: 9/24/2011 12:46:55 PM
Thanks as always Miss Allison for being such a great host and
getting this event together. It takes more planning than people
realize.
Guess I left too early as you mentioned another big crowd coming
after 11.
Looking forward to the next event.
Thanks again......
 PlainJon
Msg: 1 (view)

Best Summer memories
Posted: 7/23/2011 2:12:13 PM
Now that we are in the dog days of Summer, was wondering what were your best Summer memories? Were they recent or decades ago.
Mine were in the 1960's and every Summer, my grandparents and mother and I went on 3 days trips. They were only 3 days max because my grandfather owned a gas station and would not leave it any longer than that.
We drove to such places as Midland, Gravenhurst, Collingwood, Huntsvill, Niagara Falls, and many more.
Usually once a week something was planned and while they were short and sweet we did a lot of sightseeing in 3 days. MY grandfather was the only one who drove and he was in his later sixties when he did that. He loved to drive and we drove non-stop until we got to a motel for the night. Next day we would check out the local sites and tourist attratctions.
Those remain my happiest and most vivid memories from my childhood. Some memories you can never erase and these were some of them.
 PlainJon
Msg: 4 (view)

Photos & Comments: Up on Carling: London, Ontario, July 15th
Posted: 7/16/2011 6:42:31 AM
Thanks Allison for being a great host as always.
Sorry I had to leave early but work called.
Everyone looked like they were having fun which was what it was all about....
 PlainJon
Msg: 291 (view)

Posted: 7/15/2011 12:47:13 PM
Wow this thread is surfacing again. I started it way back in 2004 under another POF name.
Drivers are getting more dangerous than ever since that posting, and as a passenger or pedestrian I see people talking on cell phone still, texting on cell phone and even women applying makeup or combing their hair.
Some men I have even seen shaving while driving. The distractions of the outside world are making people less cautious and unconcerned about driving safely.
I am so glad I don't drive. I could afford a car so it is not a money issue, just a personal decision.
I have a valid driver's license that I renew every time as it is identification as well.
If someone cannot appreciate my decision then I guess it is their problem though I can see some not wanting to be a chauffeur. Most non-drivers would see someone compensated with gas or money if they did happen to come pick that person up. That is only fair and a decent gesture.
 PlainJon
Msg: 5 (view)

Are people reallu this judgemental here?
Posted: 7/15/2011 12:41:50 PM
Shame that first impressions are often the most lasting.
Because of this some amazing people are never given the proverbial second chance.
Those worth knowing are those worth knowing you and seeing past your flaws.
Many have scars on the inside, some on out outside.
You are a very attractive lady and any man worth his salt will get to know you for who you are.
Best of luck in your search and for heaven's sake don't give up or don't take this personally. Ignorance is a part of life, just be patient for the real deal who will come along very soon.
 PlainJon
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 7/13/2011 2:45:47 PM
I am amused by some of the responses.
Yes I agree if someone cried every second of the day, that is not good.
I meant during some movies.
There are certain scenes in movies that get me every single time no matter how often I see them. One particular line When Peggy Sue Got Married, the same scene in It's A Wonderful Life, and same scene in Stand By Me. Even the old Charlie Brown Christmas Special where Linus talks about the tree and says, "Maybe all it needed was a little love."
I guess I am just a sucker for sad movies or lines and not someone who cries every bill they get or every time they see their check book balance.
 PlainJon
Msg: 56 (view)

**** LONDON & Surrounding Area: LIVE TO RADIO DANCE NIGHT: Up On Carling: Friday, July 15, 2011 ****
Posted: 7/13/2011 10:29:43 AM
Best of luck Allison with this.
I think that it is sometimes why a few of us are a bit intimidated by these things.
Some of us are just plain shy and cannot get up the courage to approach people of the
opposite sex. I know everyone tries to be friendly and accommodating but those of us out of the meeting singles scene for some time just get a bit stage fright for want of a better term. That is why some pass up opportunities like this.
The older we get the harder it becomes, but it looks like well over 100 great people are going to get out and have the time of their lives. Good wishes to all
Have the feeling this is going to be the POF bash of the year!!!
 PlainJon
Msg: 32 (view)

Any bias if a person doesn't own a car
Posted: 2/17/2011 7:36:20 AM
Gee could be cause and effect eh?
I didn't say I cried a lot, just at really sad movies, soap operas and
when the jar of peanut butter is empty.
Oh and also when I don't get enough fiber in my diet....
But that is another story for anothr day since this thread is all about not having a car...
 PlainJon
Msg: 30 (view)

Any bias if a person doesn't own a car
Posted: 2/16/2011 7:22:48 PM
I have a valid driver's license but never wanted to drive.
Just a personal choice, not financial just my choice not to add one more insane driver to the mix out there.
If someone does not want to date someone based on a car, then they are missing out perhaps. I think if someone has a car they would not mind sharing expenses when it comes to gas. That is only fair if someone does call for them.
 PlainJon
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 2/16/2011 10:51:14 AM
I really don't think showing emotion is pathetic.
It really shows someone is human.
If you don't want to cry because you think it is not macho, then somehow a person has issues that need to be resolved.
If you don't show emotion then you are just like a robot, cold and heartless.
 PlainJon
Msg: 6 (view)

are men intimadated by hard of hearing women?
Posted: 2/13/2011 1:22:58 PM
Walk with me
You are an attractive young lady, and just as clothes don't make the man, slight imperfections should not cause anyone to run the other way.
As someone who has stuttered my entire life, yes I know people do judge very easily and very quickly but that is their problem.
I had a grandfather who had was almost completely deaf and he still was respected and did not let the hearing impede his life or career.
So Walk, if someone has a "hard of hearing" issue, then they have a "heart of understanding" problem, because the inside of a person is what they should focus on, not minor inconveniences.
Stay true Walk, and know there are people out there who will not even pay any heed to hearing issues.
 PlainJon
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 2/12/2011 6:30:40 PM
I didn't specifically crying all the time for no reason.
I meant every sad movie he saw, he started crying, or if he saw some really sad news story.
I should have explained that a bit better.
Yes crying for the sake of crying is a sign of depression for some, but I was more thinking about sad movies or even sad stories in books.
 PlainJon
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 2/12/2011 11:57:23 AM
To the ladies...
Does the sight of a man who cries easily and often bother you?
Would you think he was any less of a man because he is very emotional?
Or would you think he was more of a man because he was not afraid to let his true emotions come out?
We all hear of some men who hold tears back they think others would equate tears with weakness?
Is there such a thing as crying too little or crying too much, and at what point would it bother you personally, if at all?

Show ALL Forums