Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Meeting children
 jmn120176
Msg: 9 (view)

Meeting children
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:58:39 PM

For a phone call, I need to find a quiet spot and actually stop whatever I am doing at that moment... Sorry but...We're too busy to do that...chit chat...bah!

See? That's what I'm sayin.
 jmn120176
Msg: 4 (view)

Meeting children
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:01:02 PM
1. I would say wait until it feels comfortable.... both parties know each other reasonably well, so that if an awkward moment happens in the introduction to the child it can be easily played off instead of becoming a major sticking point. A person meeting the other's children is a big deal. It's a new person in the child's life, and at that age, they're easily impressionable. Can't get in a hurry for this one.

2. Guys get busy, believe it or not. Sometimes he doesn't have time for a phone call. Sometimes what's supposed to be a two minute phone call turns into a fifteen minute one. Texting takes seconds, and then it's done. And he doesn't have to sit through a phone call when he's trying to do other things, whether at work or other.
 jmn120176
Msg: 6 (view)

Dish Network or Direct TV
Posted: 8/14/2009 8:22:19 PM
I used to have DirecTV, but I had the same component break four times and I switched to Dish Network. It's a good network, I love the DVR, but I have had to replace it once, about a year and a half in. Power surge or something took out the hard drive.
 jmn120176
Msg: 31 (view)

Will you buy a car that gets 230 MPG???
Posted: 8/14/2009 7:39:04 PM

Are they including the coal/hydro/petrol energy it takes to generate the electricity to charge it up? How long are the batteries good for and how much to replace them when one set goes bad? Batteries have always been the Achilles' heel of things electric.

A friend bought a Prius because of the advertised mpg, but once she was actually commuting, the mileage was NO better than her older car. Seems the mileage was only good for short runs at low speeds. All she really gained was a car payment she didn't have before and worse performance.

Fantastic points. I'm sure they don't consider electricity generation costs or fuel used to generate the electricity. Nor do they consider the pain in the rear it is to have to charge an electric car all the time, or where all the dead batteries are going to end up. All the buyer is concerned with is that she's "helping the earth."

Cars for clunkers was another fantastic idea by the Obama administration (lol), but people were actually just trading in their cars that could haul stuff and go places for one that's tethered by an extension cord with a new set of car payments on the other end. The gas mileage gained by these hybrids and electrics is negated by the fact that the owners drive them more often, not burdened with the guilt of petroleum consumption. They aren't saving much in the long run, they can't get very far, and at the end of the car's usefulness to them, all that extra money they paid to feel good about themselves still hasn't been made up in fuel savings.
 jmn120176
Msg: 11 (view)

What Makes a Man Commit?
Posted: 6/7/2009 2:15:29 PM
Nothing "makes" a man commit. Talking about marriage and commitments before he's ready will cause him to flee. You can't ever force it. Either you're willing to wait as long as he is, or you aren't.
 jmn120176
Msg: 12 (view)

Best rigs of all time.
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:29:40 PM
I've always wanted to own a W900. Pre-ACERT Cat, 600 HP, all kinds of extra stainless and lights, 24.5s, and a couple of tall stacks so they can hear you coming.

Although that new Lone Star looks pretty sharp....
 jmn120176

Said he would call, hasn't
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:53:02 PM
If a person likes another person, they make time for contact no matter what they're doing. Don't wait around on this dude, don't play his game. Cut it short and save yourself the anxiety.
 jmn120176
Msg: 7 (view)

Has Nothing To Do With Dating....Car Question
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:49:53 PM
Sounds like a bad switch. Don't go messin with stuff or you'll screw up more stuff. Take it to a mechanic.
 jmn120176

Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:15:38 PM
Q: Got a speeding ticket, huh?
A: Nope. It's a safe driving award.
 jmn120176
Msg: 8 (view)

Frozen packaged french fries.
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:13:47 PM
I like the smiley ones too. And Ore-Ida's cottage fries... somewhat difficult to find, but perfect for sopping up dips and ketchup.
 jmn120176
Msg: 13 (view)

Is this known to work???
Posted: 5/5/2009 5:43:48 PM
Sex shouldn't be used as a tool of leverage, no pun intended. Besides, if sex is the reason he enters into a relationship with you, how strong a bond can it be? What's next, withholding sex from him until he complies with other miscellaneous demands you make?

That's a crazy idea. I'm sure it's never been done, ever. Who could possibly think of such a thing? Whom, I ask you?
 jmn120176
Msg: 38 (view)

Why is the word relationship scare men away?
Posted: 5/5/2009 5:14:24 PM
If he's really into you when you say it, it won't scare him. If you say it too soon and he's not ready, of course he'll run. Maybe you're taking things too fast for his liking.
 jmn120176
Msg: 9 (view)

Revealing your full name to your date?
Posted: 4/12/2009 7:37:14 PM

If you really need to run a background check on prospective dates you are way too paranoid.

No kidding.

What is the matter with people today? No wonder there's so many people on personals sites... who'd want to meet you with such a wall up anyway? It's not as if they're asking for your social security number. If you gotta problem with me knowing your name, then just stay at home locked up in your safe and secure bubble, away from all the dangers and perils of the all-too-scary outside world. It'll be waiting out here for you, if and when you're ever ready to interact with another human.
 jmn120176
Msg: 3 (view)

What is going on with the women on Plenty of Fish
Posted: 4/1/2009 5:38:45 PM
The incidents you've described aren't any reason for the women to fly off the handle or get hostile... if anything, take it as an indication of how things would have been if you'd ever gotten together for any sort of long term relationship with these women. Be thankful you found out now how they resolve conflict rather than months down the road after you've invested time and money into a relationship.

By and large, I wouldn't say they're representative of the women here. At least I hope not.

I'm aware that I've answered this question despite being male. No need to point that out.
 jmn120176

Anyone else lose their appetite when you meet someone special?
Posted: 3/19/2009 5:51:14 PM
I'm excited, energetic, RAVENOUS when someone new comes in to my life. But when they leave my life, that's when I lose my appetite.
 jmn120176

should i put i have herpies in my profile
Posted: 3/19/2009 5:46:41 PM
Hurry! Post a bunch of other replies on other topics to knock this subject off your profile!

As far as profile informational material, I'd say it's a bit too familiar and too soon for that sort of thing. Wait till later.
 jmn120176
Msg: 5 (view)

What does a guy think of a girl 32-- never married?
Posted: 3/19/2009 5:42:55 PM
Good for you!

Got your life goin good, got your own things straight, didn't jump into a marriage just to get married. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, I'd say it's more of a rare "diamond-in-the-rough" idea. If there was a "32 and never married" store, I'd definitely shop there.
 jmn120176
Msg: 14 (view)

A head full of bricks is no good at all.
Posted: 3/17/2009 5:11:01 PM
I thought we were gonna talk about bricks. :(
 jmn120176
Msg: 23 (view)

What does Friends First really mean?
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:44:04 PM

When you tell a guy, or when one person tells another, "let's be friends first," or, "let's explore friendship first," what you are saying is that you've labeled the relationship already, or the relationship will progress, according to your associations, definitions, and expectations alone without considering the other person as an individual.

So instantly, here, the other party has the upper hand in the acquaintanceship. For what misguided reason should one assert control of the interaction from the onset? That's as ridiculous as a guy asking his date for sex on their first meeting. If we haven't even gotten to know each other yet and you're ALREADY about control, what does it say for any future between us?

"Friends first" is as much of a red flag as seeing "separated" in a profile. That is, unless you want to "date" someone for a few weeks only to find out somebody better came along. I can think of better ways to waste my time.
 jmn120176

My Love Life in a Shoebox
Posted: 2/25/2009 3:54:06 PM
That's why I keep that stuff sometimes. Everybody can remember how they got hurt, but sometimes we just need a little uplifting... a remembrance of what once was.
 jmn120176

what is wrong with me
Posted: 2/25/2009 3:52:08 PM
Yeah, why would you go back to the old guy again? He already showed you who he was and what he was about. If you must date someone, give the new guy a chance.
 jmn120176

When does a girl cross the line and become desperate?
Posted: 2/25/2009 3:47:04 PM
I subscribe to the school of "If someone's into you, they'll look forward to hearing from you." I never understood those games... you know, wait two or three days to call after a date, etc

And pff... I wish a girl would take initiative. I didn't get to be 32 and single because I'm a communication dynamo.
 jmn120176
Msg: 52 (view)

What Kind Of Dates Are happening Here?
Posted: 2/25/2009 3:44:21 PM
I've been out with one woman I met on here. We seemed to have things in common, the conversations went well. We went out on three dates in one week. How could things have gone any better?

It was okay that she was more religious than I was, and that she wanted to wait until she was married for sex. But then all of a sudden, she poofed. I don't know why. But, oh well. I'll always have the memories, or something.
 jmn120176

What is love
Posted: 2/14/2009 10:02:57 PM
Baby don't hurt me.... don't hurt me... no mo....

The truck was actually called the "Luv". It was a compact, Datsun-type of vehicle. Perfect for valentine's day dates, and nothing more.
 jmn120176
Msg: 17 (view)

Be wary of recently divorced train wrecks
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:24:09 AM
Wow you got in a train wreck? I hope everyone's Okay!

My experiences in merely EMAILING with divorced women is that they've been bitter, vengeful, and confrontational. Even making small, meaningless jokes with these women (that had nothing to do with them or their situation whatsoever) ended up with them going on the defensive, as if I was somehow making them the butt of said jokes. None of the women ever admitted any wrongdoing or possible contribution to the cause of divorce. It was always the man's fault. If their attitudes were any indication, there's no wonder they had been divorced.

One even listed herself as "single." When I asked her about it, she said that as far as she was concerned, that was the case. Nevermind the conflicts and difficulties she'd been through to end up in a failed marriage... nor the effect it had on her credit rating.

Invariably, you have an upset ex who's still involved in the whole situation, worst case scenario there's children involved... what a headache. Drama city.

I used to think of myself as open to dating all types, but after these email sessions... Divorced? No thanks.
 jmn120176
Msg: 25 (view)

Another Singles Awareness Day.... Feb 14th
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:55:59 PM
Last V-day, I had a S. O. I bought her about 50 dollars worth of flowers, and in return, she wrote hateful, spiteful things about me on the card she had gotten for me. Good times!

This year, I'll be sitting at home, my wallet growing fatter. Hope there's something good on TV!
 jmn120176
Msg: 34 (view)

even the heavens cried
Posted: 1/31/2009 6:01:29 PM
I was in a relationship with a woman like your guy (except the sex offender part). Everybody told me what she was doing and saying behind my back, and that I should get away. I kept denying it... after all, she could never say or do things like that!

Finally, after a year, I found the strength to get rid of her. Now much time hence, I can look back and realize how blind I was to the situation. Love should be unconditional, not based on material things in your situation like "dinners on the table."

It's not your fault he chose to deceive you. It's painful to realize when someone's been speaking or acting behind your back. I denied that the old g/f was doing and saying the things she was... but it was the truth. This guy is just a bad person. It might have seemed different at first, but take some time to hurt, see things for what they really are. You'll be able to move on as a stronger person. Good luck.
 jmn120176
Msg: 28 (view)

How do I get over losing the best girl in the world
Posted: 1/31/2009 5:51:25 PM
It doesn't matter if she's unhappy or not. Married = unavailable. If she'll cheat WITH you, she'll cheat ON you. Run!
 jmn120176
Msg: 75 (view)

lmao I'm in the wrong?
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:48:46 PM
While I don't agree with the way the information was obtained, it's good that you found out the kind of guy he really was. Probably saved yourself a lot of trouble.

But I have to wonder if he ever showed any signs of being this way before.
 jmn120176
Msg: 17 (view)

Tattooed ladies, a turn on or a turn off?
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:42:58 PM
Not for me. They don't age well. I've had g/fs with them, and I didn't necessarily mind. But if I must voice an opinion (and I must), then my answer would be that I prefer without.
 jmn120176

OK so guy asks for my number, how do I not blow it?
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:37:09 PM
Just smile and say, "I look forward to hearing from you." Then walk away.

If he didn't want you to be available for calls, he wouldn't have taken your number. Or, he wouldn't have bothered talking with you in the first place. Interest is interest. Try not to overcomplicate things.
 jmn120176

What is best, showing them you're attracted or keeping them guessing?
Posted: 1/17/2009 7:29:59 PM
Don't play games. Be honest. Make your feelings known. You wouldn't want someone to play games with you, would you? Or, you could wait, the window could close, and you'd end up with a bag of "what if's". That sounds like fun, right?
 jmn120176
Msg: 44 (view)

Why do i always get fucked around
Posted: 1/17/2009 7:15:00 PM
Did the admin change the censoring rules on here? I've never seen the words "****ed" and "shit" typed successfully.

OP, the guys you get are what you attract. Change your standards, and change the outcomes.
 jmn120176

Staying off ex's facebook and myspace
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:14:32 PM
You just gotta force yourself to not look. Nothing good will ever come of it, and if it does so happen that she meets somebody else and posts pics there, what's it gonna do to you when you see them? The more days that go by without any contact of any kind, the sooner you'll be over her. So just keep telling yourself it's for the best, and look onward to the future.
 jmn120176

Til Death Do Us Part completely unreasonable?
Posted: 1/8/2009 6:21:45 PM
We live in such a throw-away society these days. I submit to you that the percentage of marriages that end in divorce is directly proportional to the percentage of people who didn't completely think the idea of marriage through before it happened. People's characters rarely change. If the sacrament of marriage is entered into with one party thinking the other will change or "come around," they're sorely mistaken. Years ago, in the 40s and the 50s, married couples solved their problems. They didn't run from them. People today have turned the idea of marriage into a joke, and it absolutely disgusts me.
 jmn120176

Giving a kidney then asked for divorce?
Posted: 1/8/2009 6:13:03 PM
What wasn't mentioned here was that the woman worked to put the man through medical school, after which he became a doctor.

Interesting twist, no?
 jmn120176
Msg: 5 (view)

People on this dating site far too long :help:
Posted: 1/4/2009 3:54:11 PM
I've been on POF for better than two years. Emailed countless women in regards to everything from their interests and trying to appeal to their sense of humor to just a simple "hey, how's it goin" or the like. It's hard out here in the middle of nowhere, because I don't think today's woman really wants to live outside the big city. It's just not convenient enough out here. I'd certainly be open to a relationship, as my profile states. But in the 15 or so months I've been actively pursuing POF, I've met one person.

C'est la vie, I suppose. What can I do.
 jmn120176
Msg: 13 (view)

Guys who choose not to read
Posted: 12/30/2008 5:17:54 PM

I get alot of meathead rigpig types messaging me. Is the "environment", "vegetarian" and "activist" interests not a clue that they are probably not my type?

"Meathead rigpig?" Nice term. You probably wouldn't object to others calling you a tree-hugging, anorexic, unemployed protester, would you? It's the same kind of disgusting generalization, after all.
 jmn120176
Msg: 2 (view)

Woman is Garbage?
Posted: 12/30/2008 5:12:39 PM
Perhaps the older, wealthier man has strange women coming to talk to him all the time based on his obvious social stature, and he's grown so used to it he is automatically able to suss out their interest in him based on a few short words. Maybe he's grown to detest such women, and has taken to referring to their type in that manner.
 jmn120176

Why do women?
Posted: 12/30/2008 4:48:23 PM
Well, my theory is, some people are living for a fantasy. They want the perfect person, with a great, highly-compensated job, who's built perfectly, is a great listener, and an excellent communicator. With a great personality. And great teeth. And no face blemishes. And they don't smoke, and only drink socially. And they've never been married, with no children. But when they do decide to have children, they're great with them. And they get along great with their families. And, miraculously, they're still single... and here on POF. And they live within 50 miles. Oh, and on the perfect date, they want a moonlit walk on a sandy beach, waves lapping at their bare feet and maybe a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice waiting on a little candlelit table at the end. /sarcasm

And all they gotta do to get it is pick the right person off the shelf, right here on the old POF!
 jmn120176
Msg: 63 (view)

Why do Men Lead Women On?
Posted: 12/23/2008 9:17:18 PM

A female psychologist interviewed many men and women and wrote a book... most men do not care... they behave like psychopaths...

ONE... FEMALE psychologist? What did you expect her to say, that women are the devil and we poor men are only out to bear the brunt of their scheming? Did you investigate the demographic she based her study on? Their backgrounds, ages? Perhaps she only found the information she wanted to find; a self-fulfilling prophecy, as it were. Methinks you need to expand your thinktank before chiseling an opinion in stone.

And then ONE random middle-aged man (who isn't a psychologist, ffs) speaks for the entire male persuasion, and you take it to heart! Talk about easily suggestible.

Finding a good man is like winning a lottery.....

With an attitude like that, you'll sooner win the lottery than find any man who'll put up with you.
 jmn120176
Msg: 12 (view)

Ended engagement and relationship....Should I have been more patient?
Posted: 12/22/2008 3:41:51 PM

You moved way too fast and didn’t get to truly know him and his asshattery.

Completely agree on moving too fast. When you found out he was in the midst of a divorce, there should have been no more communication on a relationship level until he was through the divorce and over her... lest you wanted to deal with his unresolved issues. And now you are.

Judging by his attitude change after you got pregnant, it also sounds like he freaked out about the pregnancy. For all you know, he could have been telling you he wanted a kid with you just to keep you around. Then when he got what he professed to desire, his true feelings on the subject surfaced. I'm not sure I'd want him around period.

I still don't understand why people choose to "hook up" with someone that is
separated or going through a divorce? It absolutely baffles me!!!

Yeah, why would you want the extra baggage and issues? Who would want to deal with the drama when there are so many singles (even divorcees!) who have made peace and moved on? "Currently separated" means I'll be currently separated from you.
 jmn120176

Sorry...a month later?
Posted: 12/10/2008 8:00:40 PM
Girl nos. 2, 3, and 4 haven't worked out, so he wants you back. Treat it like POF: read/delete.
 jmn120176
Msg: 27 (view)

Maybe im to picky
Posted: 12/6/2008 5:17:29 PM

But while we ae not actually there protecting any of Americas freedoms, the soldiers who are there are not on a safari vacation. That several thousand deaths that you seem to minumize are real men and women that wil not be coming home to wives, husbads, children, moms and dads that will miss them.
Do not minimize the lives that have been lost there... on both sides. It is not a funny or appropriate thing to try and discuss some ways to 'kill off' all of these excess men.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. It's unfortunate that attitudes like hers still persist in society today... suggesting a holocaust-type "cleansing" of sorts for her own selfish desires. How disgusting.

If there's any justice in this world, she'll be alone forever with her thoughts.

I can't get over that attitude; is this some kind of joke? Have you done any research on the costs of this war? American men most certainly have lost their lives. I'll bet they appreciate having to fight and be away from their families so you can be free to spout such garbage. Unbelievably appalling.
 jmn120176
Msg: 88 (view)

People who think you are hot V2.
Posted: 12/6/2008 10:28:17 AM
Women who think I'm hot: not enough data!
Women who I think are hot: not enough data!

I've been here over two years, FFS (a commentary on the usefulness of POF. Great forums, though). What other data can I provide?
 jmn120176

You call this Dating?
Posted: 12/6/2008 9:24:33 AM
If this is indeed factual and accurate, I won't defend the actions of the guy. From what information the OP has CHOSEN to provide, he acted irrationally and was clearly out of line. I'd still like to hear his argument. As people often say, there's two sides to every story.

we chatted then he said lets go for Pizza at Pizza Hut, I said sure...

She AGREED to Pizza Hut, people! She's just as much at fault for going to a pizza place on a first date as he is! And as far as that goes, it's a first date! It's supposed to be casual! All of a sudden, the first date has to be at an expensive restaurant of the lady's choosing? NOW who's using whom?

Where is the context? Where is the conversation that happened throughout the dinner? Are people so quick to slam, judge, and arbitrarily take sides based on so little information?

Yes, they are. It is because a woman is presenting the story, and they are coming to her empathy. There's one other topic in particular on one of these forums, in which a man has trouble understanding why a woman has left him. And INSTANTLY people jump on the guy, saying it's something you did, you suck, et cetera ad nauseam. Women who replied wanted to hear the woman's side of the story, also.

Unfortunately, some women will take this story to heart, and it shall forever influence their opinions on men who had nothing to do with this story and are in no way similar to this example. Generalizations abound.
 jmn120176
Msg: 103 (view)

Do men ever stop looking for another woman?
Posted: 12/6/2008 8:19:55 AM
ANOTHER woman? I've got to find one woman before I could ever consider looking for a second one!

Not that I would. If there was one, that would be enough.
 jmn120176
Msg: 21 (view)

Still Seeking 'Perfection' Ladies?
Posted: 12/2/2008 4:11:57 PM

Many of those who said that they would never settle went on to explain that they already have a realistic idea of what they expect and therefore, whether they realize it or not have already determined who is "good enough".

Well done.

There's no such thing as perfection in this life, and to deny oneself the happiness and enjoyment of another just because they don't meet a predetermined checklist of "must-have" qualities is to end up old, bitter, and alone. Take that attitude with you to the grave... at least you'll be proud of yourself for sticking to your guns, even if nobody else is around to realize it.

That's the biggest problem I've found with these dating sites; they ARE the same as searching for a new car. He's gotta have this, that, and those. And if not, he's out... on to the next one, till she finds one who's as close to perfect as she can. And before I get accused of searching for Barbie: I've no such ideal. Perfection disgusts me; it's the imperfections in someone that make them human I adore. Hell, if I could get somebody to return an email once in a while, it'd be a start. I must be the wrong kind of car.
 jmn120176

twice bitten....forever shy??
Posted: 12/1/2008 12:09:20 PM
Maybe he's so shy he can't even bring himself to reciprocate, even when given the option. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him as others have here; try asking him to dinner or coffee sometime and see what he says.
 jmn120176

Would you pass over a profile if the woman had a child?
Posted: 12/1/2008 12:05:09 PM

It puts me off when you see a woman borderline rant that their kids are "#1", "the world", etc etc. Nooo kidding.

I see it so often. Kinda makes me wonder what kind of guys she's been with... as if they'd somehow asked her to get rid of them. I understand that her children are important, as I'd certainly expect them to be... but it can be stated sans the militant attitude. Perhaps the judgmental attitude of some people regarding single mothers has put her on the defensive.

Some people are ‘shallow’ and would pass you by but do you really want a person like that? Someone who is ‘mature’ will like you the way you are, and will like your child to.

That's a rather unfair statement. Just because someone prefers to enter a situation without kids doesn't make them a shallow or immature person. It just means their preferences differ from yours. The world takes all kinds.

Show ALL Forums