Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: using technology to count calories consumed/burned?
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 19 (view)

using technology to count calories consumed/burned?
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:33:06 PM
You are going to burn more calories than an average weight person every time you move around, and yes, even watching tv, as your body is keeping itself going. I think the elliptical and Zumba numbers from the armband sound ok.

How active are you outside of the gym? Are you active during the day, standing, walking?

The biggest surprise for me was how many calories I burned doing vigorous house cleaning. Some days I would burn more cleaning than at the gym, which made me realize how silly it was to rush through my chores so I could get to the gym and finally exercise!
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 14 (view)

using technology to count calories consumed/burned?
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:30:49 PM
To the OP:

yes, I have the Bodymedia FIT, have had it for over a year and I love it. I believe the accuracy rate is ~95% but I can't find the links to the trials right now.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would like more insight into their activity patterns. It also gives great feedback on sleep patterns and sleep efficiency. It's not going to fit everyone's budget and it would not be helpful for those who would prefer not to see the numbers, but for fitness geeks like me it's a great tool.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 76 (view)

Carbs, glycemic index. .anyone had long term success with low GI diets?
Posted: 12/22/2010 8:16:35 PM

And you don't exercise at all, rarely go to the gym, eat at all the wrong times?

I can bet that you probably have bread, 2 slices of it on a turkey sandwich?

Rice? Sushi roll or maybe a serving the size of your palm?

Pizza? One slice maybe.

As far as the gym goes, you look like you spend about 5 hours a week? or more?

I go to the gym 3 times per week, max, sometimes less. More is not always more. Work smarter, not longer.

I love me some bread. A nice warm baguette dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. mmm... bread, rice, pitas, wraps, rice cakes, oats, and yes, some Doritos when the mood strikes. When I'm doing a carb load, I'll get in over 600g of carbs (mostly white carbs and sugar) over a 30 hour period. Pure heaven. :)

I love fruit, and lots of it.

Pizza: minimum 2 slices. More if there's goat cheese on top.

I don't eat 5-6 small meals per day *gasp*
I eat from all the food groups *gasp*
I don't go to the gym 6 times per week *gasp*
I drink a glass of wine when I feel like it *gasp*
When I want to drop a few pounds for an event or for summer, I cut back on my calories, keeping protein and healthy fats constant. When I want to put on a few lbs for winter warmth, I increase my calories accordingly.

Life, indeed, is good.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 67 (view)

Posted: 12/21/2010 3:57:57 PM
I live it.
I eat rice. I eat bread. I eat pizza.
Life is good.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 32 (view)

Posted: 12/11/2010 8:24:44 AM
There is a difference between "surviving" and "thriving".

People may have different definitions on what constitutes "thriving" in today's society.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 36 (view)

Scrupulous about what you eat? Maybe you're mentally ill
Posted: 7/22/2010 4:56:45 PM

but that this new mental illness is nowhere near as widespread as the articles say....
How 'widespread' did they claim it is? I only saw references to 'increases'. Do you disagree that there are 'increases'?
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 7/18/2010 10:36:14 AM
That wasn't what I asked.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 5 (view)

Hack Squats
Posted: 7/18/2010 10:34:40 AM

I started doing leg presses ... trying to let my knees touch my chest but I'm always afraid I won't be able to push back up if I come down that far.

Be careful with this. Don't let your lower back round. If your lower back starts rising off the pad, stop. Bringing your knees to your chest will most likely cause your back to round, which could in turn cause serious back problems.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 7/17/2010 9:17:39 PM

What I think is important to realize is that Heparin is given to all patients that spend any amount of time overnight in a hospital.
Can you please provide references/stats for this statement? Thanks.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 65 (view)

walking, running, carbohydrates
Posted: 7/17/2010 9:13:56 PM

Most bodybuilders eat very sparingly, very small meals, and yet still they are too heavy.

Oh boy. Um...on what planet would this be happening?

Even an 80/10/10 carb/protein/fat diet contains plenty of protein for the body
Would that not depend entire upon 10% of WHAT? How are ratios tied to absolutes? Protein requirements are an absolute.

iven an equal number of calories, you will gain more weight with a high protein diet because protein takes longer to digest then do complex carbohydrates.
Can you please provide references for this statement?

A 60 year old woman probably burns more calories walking 4 miles in an hour than you lifting weights for an hour. In other words, the woman walking 4 miles in an hour is burning calories at a higher rate and intensity than you lifting weights. Besides that, she is eating a balance diet that helps to keep her healthy

Are there statistics that prove that 60 year old women who walk 4 miles in an hour eat balanced diets?

My head hurts.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 50 (view)

walking, running, carbohydrates
Posted: 7/14/2010 8:26:58 PM

Yeah but that's bullocks isn't it, because if you look at all the top runners in the world they are all very lean.

Well...uh....could it be because very lean people tend to excel at running?

You know, like how tall people are good at basketball? Whereas basketball will not make you tall? That kinda thing.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 8 (view)

Protein after workout for women
Posted: 7/8/2010 4:23:34 PM
Chocolate milk.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 41 (view)

Yes, I know all about weight loss - what about supplements for fat loss?
Posted: 7/5/2010 9:09:37 PM
Wow, this thread is really turning into a black hole, but I'll give it another shot...

First, I did not respond to the caffeine issue before, but I will now. Long story short, some people are caffeine responders and some are not. Caffeine, all by itself, is not "good" or "bad". It depends on how the user responds to it. I, for one, respond very well to caffeine and have made copious use of it. I would not, however, point to my results and claim that caffeine got me where I am today. It was one tool that I used, but I could have arrived here without it, it's just way more pleasant with it. Others don't react to caffeine the way I do, and for them I would never promote the use of it.

Another link about caffeine:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/coffee-diabetes-and-weight-control-research-review.html

@martialist, I think you're taking this all a bit personally. Let me rephrase what I already posted above, so this might be more clear. I do believe that you lost a substantial amount of weight. I do believe that you achieved your physique goals. I do believe that you are now at a size that supports your martial arts activities.

I do realize that the numbers that you were using were given to you by a PT at your gym. I do believe you lost 58lb of bodyweight. And, for the record, I believe that any PT who tells you that you've lost 57lbs of fat and 1lb of muscle in 3 months should have their certification revoked. Perhaps there was a miscommunication on the numbers somewhere. I am not saying you are lying, I'm saying the numbers don't work. At least not for a 'natural' trainee. And I'm doubtful those numbers could even be reached by a juicer.

None of this in any way negates your progress and achievements. I'm just pointing out that the math is wrong.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 35 (view)

Posted: 7/3/2010 11:04:18 PM
You do realize that BMI and bf% are two completely different things, right? Apples and oranges. From the numbers you have posted, you seem to have the two forms of measurements confused.

I'll explain:
First you said
"I went in @ 6'4" 238lb with about 30% body fat...I remeasured 3 months later and was @ 8% body fat (down to 180lb)"

238lbs at 30% bf would mean you had 167lbs of fat-free mass (FFM or LBM) and 71lbs of fat (FFM).
180 at 8%bf would mean 166lbs of FFM and 14lbs of fat.
This change would suggest that you lost 57lbs of fat but only 1lb of muscle in three months.

On the other hand, using BMI instead of bf%:
6'4 at 238lbs is a BMI of about 30.
To hit a BMI of 8 at 6'4, you would have to get down to about 66lbs.

So as you can see, the numbers as presented seem to be a little mixed up.

I am not trying to be critical here - if you have found something that works for you, that's great. If your training has improved, that's great too. But the numbers you've posted so far might give someone else hope that they can lose 57lbs of fat and 1lb of muscle over 3 months, and that's just not going to happen for them.

And while one doesn't need to have a six pack to dissect questionable math equations, feel free to glance at my profile. Cheers.
 ~~BP~~

Posted: 7/3/2010 9:47:25 AM
@Martialist - I think what swirlman might have been suggesting was that your numbers don't make sense - ie mixing up BMI with bf%.
 ~~BP~~

Giving your body a rest
Posted: 7/3/2010 9:30:06 AM
@Martialist - I'm assuming you mean "HIIT", not "HIT" ?
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 13 (view)

How to get the results I want?
Posted: 5/13/2010 6:22:48 PM

i'm a genetic freak

In what way?
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 17 (view)

cardio, weightlifting, or diet
Posted: 3/28/2010 10:11:10 AM

if you want to be lean and lose weight than stop lifting weights.

What ??
 ~~BP~~

cardio, weightlifting, or diet
Posted: 3/26/2010 8:30:33 PM
You stated you had a baby 4 months ago.
What was your pre-pregnancy weight?
How much weight did you gain during your pregnancy?
Most importantly - did you breastfeed and if so, are you still nursing now?
When's the last time you took a diet break?
When's the last time you took a training break?
Can't do much speculating on 'plateauing' without the above info.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 23 (view)

How many calories do you really need?
Posted: 3/26/2010 9:12:56 AM
Everything except fat is included in LEAN BODY MASS figures. Bones are not considered part of "lean muscle" [sic]. Hence the wildly popular acronym LBM. Thanks for playing!
 ~~BP~~

What goes in my mouth
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:03:23 PM
This gets my vote as Most Annoying Thread of the day.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 4 (view)

Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/4/2010 9:02:19 AM
Agree with Frank here. If you are most focused on lifts alone, straps are fine. If you're concerned about grip strength, lose the straps, get some chalk and work on your grip specifically.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 28 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:14:15 AM
@makeyousmile: No. The odds of anyone retaining proper form throughout that workout are slim to none. Be prepared for injuries with no fat loss payoff.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 116 (view)

anything besides steroids??
Posted: 2/24/2010 8:48:00 AM
What does Mariusz eat for breakfast?

Anything he damn well pleases. :P
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 25 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/22/2010 9:11:06 PM

OK maybe if your squating 1.5 times your own weight and you increase your weight even more you may develope large hips/legs however the amount of muscle required to squat your own weight is insignifican. I have tiny dainty skiny scrawny legs yet I can squat 1.2 times my body weight. I bet most women in these forms who want to work on there hips cant squat 1/2 there body weight.

@makeyousmile: Women don't have the same absolute strength ratios that men have.

The amount of muscle required for a woman to squat her own bodyweight certainly is significant. (I'm assuming you're talking about having her bodyweight loaded on a barbell, not just squatting with her own body). A woman squatting 1.5 x her bw is exceptional, unless she's a competitive powerlifter, etc.

And I agree with ImJayZee - bigger glutes will show up in back - more booty, not along the sides. Expect your butt to get higher and rounder (mmmm) but your hips won't get appreciably "wider". In any case, I would be surprised if one could count on one hand the number of women on POF who actually have 'overdeveloped glutes'.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 21 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/21/2010 12:24:10 PM
I have wide set hips, that's not going to change, ever. However, due to squats and heavy deadlifts, I now have a butt you can bounce quarters off. Heavy squats will NOT make your hips look wider.

Instead of worrying about what you can't change, focus on what you can change. Broader shoulders and back will create the illusion of slimmer hips.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 39 (view)

flat belly diet
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:40:44 AM
Wow, a 6 pack in 6 days.
Thanks for the spam.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 44 (view)

Killer Triceps excercises.. What's your fave?
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:13:21 AM
No one with any credibility in the fitness community judges someone else's success against their OWN goals.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 14 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:26:45 PM
If you're losing weight, then by definition, you are not eating at maintenance.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 9 (view)

tone and slim down legs
Posted: 2/17/2010 8:36:34 PM
Oh good grief. No one is going to "bulk up" if they are eating at a caloric deficit.
 ~~BP~~

What's wrong with my arm?
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:35:45 PM

No, I didn't make the exercise up. It is for women only, and done with really light dumbells. It is not for bulking up and getting a "manly chest". It is for a lady chest. Think about it, and you will know what I mean.
This makes no sense.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 16 (view)

Big Food is Telling us High Fructose Corn Syrup is Good For us in moderation..*cough* *cough*
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:59:33 PM
Agree with pacer - here's a good start on the science.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/139/6/1219S
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 10 (view)

ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:55:20 PM
Agree with caffeinejag - it's lower, around 6cals/day. Whoop-de-doo.

However, there are still good reasons for building muscle, but hoping to coast on your muscle burning a ton more calories than your fat ain't one of them.
 ~~BP~~

Big Food is Telling us High Fructose Corn Syrup is Good For us in moderation..*cough* *cough*
Posted: 2/14/2010 9:01:10 PM

Mostly academic text books such as ACE and ACSM any edition within the past 5 years state that, "80% of all all deaths in America today are a result of chronic illness largely due to life style choices"

You stated that the food supply is killing 80% of the population. I am interested in the stats to support your statement about the food supply.

Re: the quote above, which, btw, does not support your statement about the "food supply"....
Would those life style choices include smoking, alcohol consumption and sedentary lifestyles, by any chance??
 ~~BP~~

Posted: 2/14/2010 3:07:19 PM

and no one in large groups seems to be indifferent to a food supply that is killing 80% of it's own population

Do you have any stats/references to support your statement that the food supply is killing 80% of the population?
 ~~BP~~

Got a question or two about getting back in shape
Posted: 2/8/2010 3:11:36 PM

There is no reason you can't lose 15 lbs of fat and gain 5lbs of muscle per month.

Umm.......no.
 ~~BP~~

Got a question or two about getting back in shape
Posted: 2/5/2010 4:09:08 PM

But the cellulite!! I cannot afford lipo and even if I could, would not choose that route. Want it gone but in a healthy way. Need to lose the weight of course, that's a given, but toning up and losing the cellulite is the big priority during this process. Any proven methods for making that shite disappear as the weight is going?

Unfortunately, no.
You can't spot-reduce. And women's fat patterning is different than men's. Women's bodies usually tend to hold on to fat in the butt and hips/thighs the longest. However, lowering overall bodyfat will decrease the appearance of cellulite, as will keeping the skin hydrated.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 24 (view)

Anyone use kettlebells?
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:57:06 PM
@_batman, there are a few reasons why women don't think like men where exercise is concerned.

1) they've bought into the myth that lifting heavy will make them 'bulky'. They can't explain to me how that would happen if they are eating at a caloric deficit, but, well, someone told them that, so it must be true.

2) Many of the women who could benefit from heavy weight training are currently overweight. If you want to understand why THEY don't go to the gym and lift with the guys, just have a look over at the attitudes in the Gym Pet Peeves thread and you'll see why overweight people are too intimidated/embarrassed to set foot in a weight room.

Definitely get your future gf/wife into the squat cage. She will thank you for it. In ohhh sooo many ways.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 23 (view)

Anyone use kettlebells?
Posted: 2/2/2010 7:26:14 PM
Thanks, MainEvent! They aren't easy, but they sure are fun. You don't have to do a bazillion crunches on a swiss ball to get visible abs.

I wish more women would step outside their comfort zone and try lifting heavy. It makes training so much more fun, not just drugery, or a means to an end. Improved posture, increased confidence, prevention of osteo - there's no downside. Plus guys think it's cool ;)
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 21 (view)

Anyone use kettlebells?
Posted: 2/2/2010 4:12:26 PM
I don't do ab workouts. Well, maybe a few cable crunches a few times a month, a few planks. My squats and deads work my core plenty.
 ~~BP~~

Posted: 2/1/2010 3:57:50 PM
Ah, sorry about the DL issues. It's one of my favorite exercises. There really should be no correlation between my DL and my dips, but they both shot up at the same times, I'll see if it happens again during my next strength cycle.

My gym has a few belts for members to use, so that's handy. I have my own lifting belt, but the d-ring isn't in the best place for attaching the chain, so I use the gym's belt for now.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 20 (view)

Anyone use kettlebells?
Posted: 2/1/2010 3:53:03 PM
My core challenges your core! Bring it!!
 ~~BP~~

Taking a break
Posted: 2/1/2010 3:52:07 PM
@Eriophyllum: why yes, yes you are. Thanks for the link.

@OP: I usually take a week or two off every 3-4 months. No gym, non-intense outdoor fresh-air activity. Stretching, extra sleep/naps, and great food. Note, I did not say "clean" food.

I've been "burnt out" a few times, but only once have I hit the CNS fatigue wall in a seriously bad way, and I'm more intuitive now re: what to watch for.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 43 (view)

Strict 1200 calorie diet
Posted: 2/1/2010 3:41:51 PM

All the books by Tosca Reno (Oxygen Magazine) are good too. The Eat Clean Diet, Eat Clean Diet Recharged. etc. There's a whole set of them. Oxygen Mag is my bible.
I found the Oxygen Forums 100x more useful than the magazine.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 42 (view)

Posted: 1/31/2010 8:52:23 PM
@Cityhorsewoman: the OP specifically stated he is NOT open to steroid use.
 ~~BP~~

Anyone use kettlebells?
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:37:19 PM
It was wayyyyy too easy. I couldn't just let that one go.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 31 (view)

Posted: 1/31/2010 1:27:58 PM

This for me

Oddly, for me, noteable increases in weighted dips seem to have a correlated relationship to substantial increases in deadlifts. Or vice versa!
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 1/31/2010 12:31:57 PM

BTW, I saw your pics. and well I'll just say "Exhibit A"!. Thank you!

Care to explain what you mean by this?
Are you implying that her photos align with your definition of what a BBW is??
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 28 (view)

Posted: 1/31/2010 7:02:38 AM

Any girl your age worth putting your thing in her is probably on some type of drug

Comedy gold.
 ~~BP~~

Anyone use kettlebells?
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:33:55 PM
Butch = being outlifted by a girl.

Show ALL Forums