Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: so what was the last straw?
 snglfather
Msg: 4 (view)

so what was the last straw?
Posted: 8/22/2007 10:42:11 PM
Total confusion! I really think it was a jeolousy issue over my kids. My ex has another daughter from a later marriage. She (my ex's daughter) likes to come over and spend a week or two sometimes. She has done that since she was about 2 years old (she is 10 now). I've never seen it as anything more than she is my daughters sister. This woman I dated for almost a year would get really angry when my ex's daughter was here. She thought I was doing it to get im ny ex's good graces or something. The last straw came while my daughters and I went to San Antonio for vacation. I get a phone call accusing me of being on dating sites because I had come up as a prospective candidate when SHE logged into a dating site. DUH. I had met her on a dating site and I did have profiles on them. Just because your profile shows up doesn't mean your active. I get some on this site that when you do a search, haven't been active in 3 years. Anway, I was constantly getting accused of things I never did. How does one defend something they didn't do? It gets totally ridiculous! Looking back, it seems anytime my daughters and I did something without her, she always wanted to start wild accusations. She ruined one day of my vacation, but my daughters finally made me realize I was letting her do it. That realization was the last straw.
 snglfather
Msg: 8 (view)

ever notice?
Posted: 10/19/2006 11:39:50 AM
Anyone ever hear of marketing? Once you sign up on a dating site you are informing them that you are single and looking. That is the people dating sites target. Of course your going to get emails from all the dating sites. No mystery there.
 snglfather
Msg: 12 (view)

This is funny
Posted: 10/18/2006 6:20:16 AM
Liberals will tolerate anything they agree with. Once it is a subject they don't agree with, they are the first to censor. They are Pro-Choice unless you are Pro Life. Then the choice is theirs to make only. They are Pro 1st Amendment unless you practice your rights of Fredom of Religion. Somehow they think freedom of Religion means Freedom From Religion. Yepper, Liberals are so tolerent, the President of the US can't go to the bathroom without getting blamed for causing some some outroar that he should have known a car was heading the wrong way on Pennsylvania Ave and had a head on with another car. It was George Bush's fault for going to the bathroom don't you know. Yepper, that is pure tolerance there. LOL
 snglfather
Msg: 103 (view)

Why are men turned off by women with kids?
Posted: 10/16/2006 2:19:15 PM
I really don't think this is a Male or Female issue. I have been raising my kids alone for 13 years. Women are just as bad about getting into a relationship where the male has custody. I would even venture to guess that the same women attacking the men for not wanting to get involved with someone with children, are the same ones that avoid men with children. I don't believe it is anyones fault. As a parent, one must put the health and stability of their children first. The children didn't ask for the divorce. They are the innocent ones in the whole thing. It is harder as a single parent to find the energy and time needed to maintain a healthy relationship. I don't blame a woman if she can't handle that my kids needs come over hers. It was simpler when I didn't have kids. I could devote more time to a relationship. People want attention when they want it. Not at the convenience of a child. Maybe Dr. Laura is right on this one. You really need to wait until the children are grown before considering any kind of healthy relationship. That may be why the second marriage statistics are so bad. People settle for a relationship over a healthy relationship.
 snglfather
Msg: 76 (view)

Do you do or condone marijuana?
Posted: 10/10/2006 9:18:23 PM
I love this logic here. We keep having to refer to the prisons so lets start there. Ya know what all the incarcerated have in common? They all think the laws are bad and they need to break them to be what they want to be. LOL If you don't like a law, change it. If you break it, your a CRIMINAL and need to be treated as such. Laws are there for a reason. No matter how good or bad they are, there was reasoning that went behind it. Someone didn't just wake up one day, decide something should be illegal, and POOF it happened. It goes through a PROCESS. Adultry was a crime at one time. I think it is still on the books as a crime. They just don't enforce it. You could be jailed for it at one time. Somehow, society finally accepted the fact that it happens, and not necessarily because someone was out to hurt someone else. Time will tell if Marijuana will eventually be one of those things that is overlooked. I don't see it being so easily forgotten though. With all the disinformation going on, people are sick and tired of hearing about it. Everyone has their own experiences with pot. To say it's not addictive is BS too. There are people with addictive personalities that can get hooked on anything, even water. So don't even go there. I used to work in Drug Rehab and yes, we did treat people who were addicted to Marijuana. Call Dr. Gene Seale in Center Point Texas if ya don't believe believe it! Better yet, go sit in on an NA meeting and see how "Non Addictive" it is. Ya may get an answer to the question about pot heads never doing anything illegal for it too. LOL Then again, opinions matter more than facts. I truly think everyone here should attend at least one NA meeting before they try and talk for everyone that has ever tried pot.
 snglfather
Msg: 64 (view)

Posted: 10/9/2006 10:26:53 PM
OOPs, one other thing. In the huge study cited, they also claim there have been no deaths related to Marijuana Use. Yet if you do that same search using Yahoo or Google on Marijuana related deaths, you find that's a bunch of BS too.
 snglfather
Msg: 63 (view)

Posted: 10/9/2006 10:18:26 PM
Someone forgot to tell the AMA about that there study. LOL

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/13625.html

Way too much to cut and paste. Pretty extensive testing. Oh yeah, it's probably that nasty government of ours pulling a fast one on us again. LOL

I don't think anyone is opposing the medical use of anything. If you read the AMA report though, they really don't encourage inhaling it. Morphine is used as a medical drug, yet they don't tell people to go out and smoke opium. If anyone has an agenda here, it would be those that want to legalize it. I think I'll stay with my Doctors advice over the Legalization of Cannibas Society. LOL
 snglfather
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 10/9/2006 9:31:55 AM
Read it again. It says EXACTLY who did the studies. It is not about funding. It quotes 4 different sources. Harvard included. Like I said, don't let facts get in the way. Even though the Surgeon General warned of the dangers of smoking for a hundred years, people let their ignorance tell them it wasn't so because there must be a hidden agenda somewhere. I guess it is human nature to doubt. Everything is a conspiracy and we are all just puppets of some alien race that is using us for thier own little scientific studies. LOL
 snglfather
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 10/9/2006 7:30:29 AM
hmmmm Lets compare and contrast.

ANTI-CANCER & CORONARY BENEFITS
Moderate consumption of red wine on a regular basis may be a preventative against coronary disease and some forms of cancer. The chemical components thought to be responsible are catechins, also known as flavanoids. Catechins are believed to function as anti-oxidants, preventing molecules known as "free-radicals" from doing cellular damage. There are also compounds in grapes and wine (especially red wine, grape juice, dark beers and tea, but absent in white wine, light beers and spirits) called resveratrol and quercetin. Clinical and statistical evidence and laboratory studies have shown these to boost the immune system, block cancer formation, and possibly protect against heart disease and even prolong life.

One recent study, published in the 2004 year-end edition of the American Journal of Physiology, indicates that resveratrol also inhibits formation of a protein that produces a condition called cardio fibrosis, which reduces the heart's pumping efficiency when it is needed most, at times of stress. More evidence suggests that wine dilates the small blood vessels and helps to prevent angina and clotting. The alcohol in wine additionally helps balance cholesterol towards the good type.

Or maybe this?

FOUNTAIN of YOUTH?
A Harvard study of factors that influence aging, as reported in the May 8, 2003, issue of the journal Nature, has shown that resveratrol extends the life span of yeast cells by 80%. Preliminary results of tests on multi cellular animals are said to be encouraging; study co-author David Sinclair told Reuters News Agency that "Not many people know about it yet, but those who do have almost invariably changed their drinking habits, that is, they drink more red wine."

Wine might even preserve cognitive function in the elderly. Several European studies have shown the prophylactic effects of regular light to moderate alcohol consumption may include the prevention or postponement of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and other forms of dementia. Could wine be the original brain food?

One more little tidbit

DIGESTIVE PROPHYLAXIS
A study published in January, 2003, in the American Journal of Gastroenterology showed that moderate, regular consumption of wine or beer decreases the risk of peptic ulcers and may help to rid the body of the bacteria suspected of causing them. Interestingly, both over-consumption, especially of beer, and any regular consumption of spirits at all, even at a low level, seemed to increase the ulcer risks.

The Harvard School of Public Health conducted a 14-year study of over 100,000 women, aged 25 to 42, from 14 states. The Nurses Health Study required participants to complete a questionnaire every two years, detailing lifestyle choices and diagnoses of any medical conditions. The subjects were categorized into three levels of alcohol consumption. After factoring in such variables as family histories of diabetes and smoking habits, the study found that women who drank regularly and moderately (one or two drinks per day, a total of 15 to 30 grams of alcohol) had a 58% lower likelihood of developing diabetes. Both those levels that drank more or that drank less had a 20% lower risk than either abstainers or former drinkers. When preferences for types of alcohol were compared, those who chose beer and wine shared similar levels of risk, but those in who drank spirits and consumed more than 30 grams per day had a 150% higher risk to develop diabetes than even non-drinkers.

Other medical studies point to multiple benefits of regular moderate wine drinking that may include lowered risks of stroke, colorectal tumors, skin and other types of cancers, senile dementia, and even the common cold, as well as reduce the effects of scarring from radiation treatments.

The key is MODERATION. Too many people abuse alcohol as they do drugs. I don't drink, but that is my choice. Jesus drank wine so I have a funny feeling there was reasoning behind that choice. Notice the Apostles didn't all light up. LOL
 snglfather
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 10/9/2006 6:37:49 AM
Let's not let facts get in the way. Opinion s mean so much more in America. LOL

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to organs throughout the body, including the brain.

In the brain, THC connects to specific sites called cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement4.

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system5 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine6. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

Yepper, doesn't hurt a soul.

Effects on the Lungs

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers8. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Even infrequent abuse can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways9. Smoking marijuana possibly increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers10.

Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens9,11. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke12. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells13. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.
 snglfather
Msg: 18 (view)

In love with being in love or just love ?
Posted: 10/5/2006 2:22:09 PM
[/you have that feeling in pit of your stomach, when you are near each other, you can't keep your hands off each other, go to touch in some way, any little tiny thoughtful thing you do for each other makes you so happy, you love to please each other, think more of their feelings than you do your own, you can't do enough for them, when you are apart you think your heart will just bust you miss them so, you want to be with them all the time, forever, the thought of losing them can drive you insane, if you don't hear daily, you think you'll also die, true, there are different kinds of love but being in love with your special one(soul mate) is didderent, it is not lust, if you are with the one for you, you will not care about the sex thing (that is great thing) BUT, that is not the most imporant thing, can live w/o that, your soul mate is far more imporant than just sex, it's spending time together, having companship together, doing everthing together, having one to talk to(not at), someone to share interests with, laugh with(very imporant), stare into those georeois eyes, you could just lose youself in them, untill you've felt all this,]

Didn't we all experience all of this during the "Honeymoon Phase"? It is how you retain those feelings once the honeymoon is over that is the GROWING and NURTURING part of Love. Then again, aren't we all kind of asking a blind man to draw us a map to water by posting on a site made up of people that have such good track records? LOL Shouldn't this question be directed towards a group that have stayed together for 50 or more years? That would be too easy. People may actually learn something and not like what they hear!
 snglfather
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 10/3/2006 2:39:29 PM
Bob and Delores Hope. George and Gracie Allen. My grandparents. My parents. When I think of love, these people pop in my mind. When Gracie died, Goerge almost died too. His Love was so strong, he didn't have the will to live. He finally revived, but it was a close call on his part. My grandmother passed maybe two months after my grandfather. She didn't want to be in this life without him. Bob and Delores were always together. Work, life, and always holding hands. My parents celebrated their 50th last year and still never leave each others side. They had rough times, but they stuck through them and their LOVE grew. For anyone to compare a short term affair to a true nurturing and growing process is like comparing 6 men football to 11 men. The fields are different and game plans more complicated. What's funny is I was married for 13 years. I know we had to have our troubles or I wouldn't be divorced. In time, one tends to forget the bad times and focus on the good. Maybe that is why so many people try a second time with the same spouse. They forget the bad times, but quickly remember them when together again. LOL
 snglfather
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 10/1/2006 5:34:56 PM
Love is an unselfish act, caring more about another than one does for themself. Love is something that takes time to nurture and grow. Lust on the other hand happens instantaneously. That is really all I see on the net. Lust. If one truly loved another, the last place they would want them to be is alone at home, logging onto a computer and using it as their sole entertainment. I realize some people think that it's fun, but it's really sad in a way. An escape from the real world into a cyber created world. Maybe we should define Love over cyber Love? Some will even say it's the same. Now that's scary!

Show ALL Forums