Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Obama/Romney...the world is wondering.
 irishlab33
Msg: 139 (view)

Obama/Romney...the world is wondering.
Posted: 10/28/2012 5:55:32 PM
I purposely restated it as I did because I believe people are lying to themselves when they deny their racism. They may be fooling themselves, but they are not fooling others.

That's great that YOU believe it. But that's not what the poll was trying to say.

The difference, often stated clearly in the article, was between "explicit" and "implicit".
 irishlab33
Msg: 129 (view)

Posted: 10/28/2012 5:37:23 AM

The majority of Americans harbor racist attitudes toward blacks and hispanics whether you will admit it or not.

I don't want to get into the whole race discussion, but I found it interesting that this poll actually said:

The majority of Americans harbor racist attitudes towards balcks and hispanics whether THEY KNEW it or not.

Interesting how that subconscience racist attitude might translate into the conscienceness.

Also, someone else made this point on the US news/nbc site: (it made me chuckle):

"So, George Bush did more in his 8 years to combat racism than President Obama did in his 4"
 irishlab33
Msg: 109 (view)

The debates
Posted: 10/21/2012 6:59:04 PM
Hey Igor-

Post 109 has excellent examples of bad reporting. The quotes given, do NOT support the headline labels that are posted under each one.

The "headlines" were a summary provide by the poster.

(I've summed up each statement in capital letters for your convenience).

not

That is an interpolation by the reporter who wrote the headline.

or

Again, this is an interpolation by a lazy reporter

and it looked like he nailed it
 irishlab33
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 10/21/2012 5:36:59 PM
oh, you mean like saying :

"Those rotten rupublicants", or something snarky like you?

nah, I don't hate President Obama, and I think Romney would make a fine President.

Either way, I'm just tired of people hating on each other.
 irishlab33
Msg: 440 (view)

The War on Women
Posted: 10/21/2012 5:24:19 PM

Or you could have no successful marrigae...be and idiot...

I believe this is what we call- irony.

"yur stoopid"
 irishlab33
Msg: 31 (view)

Posted: 10/21/2012 2:52:28 PM

"we give you a mortgage, as long as your breathing"!

For the love of God, you seem like an smart guy.

Please refrain from callings others "idiots" if you cannot differentiate between "your" and "you're".

they are not interchangable
 irishlab33
Msg: 436 (view)

The War on Women
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:35:12 PM

Could someone kindly explain to me why is the majority of the posters in a thread discussing Women's Rights..... male?!

It appears that if your spouse dies, you become an expert an all things female, parental, and shoot, just about dang near everything.

or, it could just make you a pompous a.s.s.
 irishlab33
Msg: 63 (view)

The debates
Posted: 10/16/2012 9:11:36 PM

The last time I saw the equal of romney, I was pushing a lever to flush it! Hahahahaha!!!!

...and with it your credibility.

C'mon man, enough with the hate. We get that you are 100% liberal, but you're over the top with your hatred.

Anyone watching the debates this evening saw BOTH candidates trying to knock the other one down, instead of trying to build up their point. I get that "that's where we are" but that doesn't mean that it's ok. Personally, I think it sucks.
 irishlab33
Msg: 34 (view)

Bullied teen leaves behind chilling video
Posted: 10/16/2012 5:18:15 PM

That whooshing sound you may be hearing.

It is the sound of an internet meme going over your head.

cool.

so it's ok to be a racist if it's an internet meme.

nice.
 irishlab33
Msg: 9 (view)

What is up with the 3 month marker?
Posted: 10/16/2012 7:26:02 AM
When I was dating, I noticed that I had ended a couple of relationships after 3 months.

It started to become a pattern, and upon some self analysis, I determined that 90 days seemed to be a boundry of sorts for me.

90 days was enough time to determine, for me, whether this was someone I could some day see myself married to. The decision wasn't that I had to marry them, or even steer the relationship that direction. It was a self introspection to make sure that I wasn't in the relationship for the wrong reasons.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me................yep, there was absolutely a 3 month marker.
 irishlab33
Msg: 31 (view)

Bullied teen leaves behind chilling video
Posted: 10/16/2012 5:53:53 AM
Aristotle Amadopolis wrote:

Why u no like old people?

Did you really just post this question to an Asian gentleman?

Seriously?????????
 irishlab33
Msg: 736 (view)

Obama is an utter failure.
Posted: 10/9/2012 12:13:27 PM

claims this economist

BigBadIrish asked:

What economist???YOU???

This is a quote from Princeton economist Harvey Rosen, the same economist that President Obama quoted:

I can’t tell exactly how the Obama campaign reached that characterization of my work. It might be that they assume that Governor Romney wants to keep the taxes from the Affordable Care Act in place, despite the fact that the Governor has called for its complete repeal. The main conclusion of my study is that under plausible assumptions, a proposal along the lines suggested by Governor Romney can both be revenue neutral and keep the net tax burden on taxpayers with incomes above $200,000 about the same. That is, an increase in the tax burden on lower and middle income individuals is not required in order to make the overall plan revenue neutral.
 irishlab33
Msg: 399 (view)

Mitt Romney
Posted: 10/9/2012 12:03:31 PM
^^^^^^^

That's great.

But what does that have to do with Mitt Romney?
 irishlab33
Msg: 509 (view)

Posted: 8/28/2012 6:27:03 PM
Ha!

I knew you were going to go there! too funny.

you "forgot" to include this little tidbit from Fact CHeck regarding those rates.......

Similarly, had we based our chart on the rate of rise, it would show the debt rising much faster under Obama than it did under Bush

Quit trying to skew facts and have a little integrity. You might be the most intellectually dishonest person on POF.
 irishlab33
Msg: 507 (view)

Posted: 8/28/2012 3:18:13 PM

FYI: There has been over 12.7 trillion added to the US debt in the last 10 years, to get an idea whose watch was responsible please see this chart: http://propresobama.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/debt_bush_vs_obama.png

FYI- You are incorrect. I will stop short of saying that you're lying, as I'm sure you're just uneducated.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/dueling-debt-deceptions/
 irishlab33
Msg: 23 (view)

I wonder what is on the Mittster's tax return that he does not want us to see?
Posted: 8/10/2012 6:00:41 AM
Put down the bottle, Liquor!

Just as funny that i didn't get asked for my opinion or imput when GWB enacted his now famous tax cuts on the mega wealthy!

The GWB era tax cuts were for everyone, you know, all of us.
 irishlab33
Msg: 20 (view)

I wonder what is on the Mittster's tax return that he does not want us to see?
Posted: 8/9/2012 9:54:36 AM
Do y'all have any clue about what you comment on?

When you are the guy making those rules, unless you think the idea of being able to claim a $77K deduction on your horse came from a consensus of the general population and not a bunch of rich guys.

I'm pretty sure Mitt Romney did not write the tax code.

He and his wife are involved in a business, Rob Rom Enterprises LLC, that happens to deal with horses. They basically claimed 77,000 against future earnings that the business might generate.......like, for example, selling foals from an Olympian horse.

As of now, $50 has been applied to their tax deductions. That's $5-0. Fifty.
 irishlab33
Msg: 156 (view)

Mitt Romney
Posted: 7/20/2012 7:59:56 PM

but, just as Rose...betting against one's own team peclude's any initiation into the hall of fame....

Get your facts straight BBI. This is not why Pete Rose is not in the HOF.

Import tried to be cute, but he obviously isn't familiar with why Pete's not in the HOF either.
 irishlab33
Msg: 38 (view)

This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 9:11:17 AM
Hey guys!

Don't worry about the people dying cause of the extreme heat!

It's just "really warm".

Aristotle Amadaololis:

FYI: A heat index of 101 is not extreme.

130F + is extreme, 101F is just really warm
 irishlab33
Msg: 41 (view)

Awaiting Supreme Court Decision on Health Care Mandate
Posted: 6/29/2012 4:52:17 AM

That's just what Chief Justice Roberts did--an he did it intentionally. You should be congratulating him.

I'm not sure exactly how President Obama is defending himself on this one.

Obamacare was upheld in the Supreme Court by a 5-4 vote. Chief Roberts clearly stated his decision was based on the fact that the government had the right to impose taxes. The government does not have the right to impose a penalty.

Obamacare will be a tax. Go read the decision. It's not like Chief Roberts was being obtuse.
 irishlab33
Msg: 22 (view)

What is (Attorney General) Eric Holder really not talking about?
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:25:22 AM
^^^^^^Nope, it was the current murdering administration.

I have a feeling some poster are blinded by their agendas.
 irishlab33
Msg: 50 (view)

Miracles DO Happen!
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:00:23 AM

So the church is once again trying to latch itself onto something it had nothing to do with, must be a slow month in food items that look like religious icons.

The church was not mentioned in the post. Why do you have to turn everything into something snarky?

It's actually fun to watch some people be so negative! Must be fun living that kind of life.
 irishlab33
Msg: 74 (view)

Justifiable Homicide?
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:55:54 AM
OyVay said:

When we reduce law, to a vigilante type of justice, we are no better than the animals, that should be convicted of crimes like this

Sir- it would appear to some that you are being quite hypocritical. In another thread, you say that it is ok for illegal aliens to be here illegally. Mainly because you don't agree with that particular law.

One can only surmise by the dichotemy of opinions on these 2 issues that you think you should be able to pick and choose which laws should be handled "vigilante" stlye, and which laws should be handled by the court sytem.

It's almost as if you sir, think that you should get to determine which laws society follows and which ones they ignore. Careful, some might come to think that you are an arrogant arse.
 irishlab33
Msg: 280 (view)

The War on Women
Posted: 5/7/2012 3:20:10 PM
Good Lord Dude. Do you even read what you post?

It is a proven fact that Conservatives’ brains have larger amygdalas than the brains of liberals, thus meaning they are more receptive to fear based propaganda.

From the scientist that conducted the study that your "PROVEN FACT" (you are deliberately misleading) is based:

Kanai did caution against taking these findings too far, as there are many uncertainties about the associations the researchers saw. For instance, which came first — the brain structures or the political views? One might also note that brain structure can be shaped over time by experience, and that some people are known to change their views over the course of a lifetime. Past research has shown, for instance, that counter to stereotype, as people age, they become more liberal.

"It's very unlikely that actual political orientation is directly encoded in these brain regions," he said. "More work is needed to determine how these brain structures mediate the formation of political attitude."
 irishlab33
Msg: 285 (view)

The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:51:50 AM

Either way, just more hyperbole and an epic failure at understanding gangs and the history behind them in the USA.

derp

you forgot the Jets and the Sharks
 irishlab33
Msg: 25 (view)

The Occupy movement
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:45:16 AM
Why do the Occupiers want to be terrorists?

Plotting to blow up a bridge seems a little drastic..........
 irishlab33
Msg: 58 (view)

Democrats accused of playing politics with the anniversary of Bin Laden death.
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:41:05 AM
The title of this thread includes the phrase "playing politics" and this poster just did it in spades:

After admonishing another poster for being a troll:

for the troll above

and then insulting him again about his military knowledge (cough cough hypocrit):

But again, Mr. Made up persona, you know FA about things military.

This is his apology :

PGL7, you're right, I fubar'd that one right out of the park. I should hvae refreshed my memory re; Carters service record. That said, he put the uniform on and served with honors. Crawling into a tube built by the lowest bidder and designed to sink takes guts. The man was no coward and no pantywaist, unlike the chickenhawks like Rmoney who slam him.

We could do an entire thread on why Desert One failed, but the bottom line is, Carter tried like hell to rescue those people.

Reagan negotiated with terrorists, made sure they spent MORE time being hostages, and rewarded the terrorists with weapons we paid for and let them get away.

I know which action I respect more.

If "playing politics" where an Olympic event, Bladesmith is taking home the Gold!
 irishlab33
Msg: 21 (view)

The Occupy movement
Posted: 5/7/2012 5:22:13 AM
OyVay said:

Or you could have been with the mittster, who was having some free food at that pizza moguls house the other day where he said "all republicans should live like this" referring to the mansion, swimming poll, private golf course and other amenities on the property. yeah right! hahahaha!

Misquoting is really beneath you sir.
 irishlab33
Msg: 308 (view)

George Zimmerman (watchguard) is in FBI custody!
Posted: 4/24/2012 4:57:37 PM
^^^ living in Atlanta for a couple of years does NOT make you an expert on the South.

:eyeroll:
 irishlab33
Msg: 16 (view)

Is the loyalty of politicians to their party or to the people who elected them?
Posted: 4/17/2012 9:45:44 PM
I thought it was common knowledge about the opposition to Obamacare.

perhaps you were concerned that I rounded up from 59%

As far as dates go, Congress voted on 3/21/10

CNN poll conducted from 3/19 - 3/21

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/03/22/new-cnn-poll-59-oppose-obamacare/

This is not news! It was common knowledge that a large majority of Americans were against Obamacare when it was passed.
 irishlab33
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 4/17/2012 8:53:19 PM
^^^

seriously, please post your source for where a "clear majority" supported it.

I have not seen this data, and would be interested to read about it.
 irishlab33
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 4/17/2012 8:27:59 PM
Oddly enough, 6 out of 10 Americans were against Obamacare, yet Democratic lawmakers passed it.

ring ring Mr Pot
 irishlab33
Msg: 98 (view)

My question to Ann Romney
Posted: 4/16/2012 8:38:25 AM

Many articles surfaced from their lifestyle to how many homes they owned.

You are absolutely correct.

What you failed to mention, however, is that it was the Republicans who were bringing it up.

The Democrats were not complaining about it because he was "their guy".

The Democrats don't dislike rich people. They just dislike rich Republicans.
 irishlab33
Msg: 5 (view)

What are Michigan Republicans ILLEGALLY up to?
Posted: 4/16/2012 8:20:21 AM
Some follow up research shows that this has been going on in Michigan for some time:

Lansing — House Democrats have sued the Republican majority over a procedural move to make bills become laws faster — a maneuver the Dems regularly used when they were in power.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120407/POLITICS02/204070340#ixzz1sDVTmCPA

I agree that Michigan should stop allowing this.........from both sides of the aisle. It really doesn't take that much research to realize that what you are shreiking about, is also being done by your own "side".
 irishlab33
Msg: 36 (view)

Senseless entitlement
Posted: 4/3/2012 7:22:24 AM

Real relationships always include all kinds of "inconvenience". Take me to the airport, feed my cat, wipe the drool off my chin when I'm too sick to lift my own head. But you count his request as an affront to your sense of propriety, instead of just another one of those MANY things one usually does for one's lover without even stopping to calculate how incredibly inconvenient it is. Senseless entitlement?? After reading your 1st post, I thought he had asked you for a kidney

+1

run Forrest run
 irishlab33
Msg: 47 (view)

Omaba asks for more space until after election !
Posted: 3/28/2012 12:30:40 PM

but you keep f*cking that chicken if it makes you feel better.

And there, is how our resident Simpson's character treats other posters!

And the award for the snarkiest poster goes to...........ARI!

Way to stay classy Canada!
 irishlab33
Msg: 55 (view)

Cheney’s Ice Cold Heart
Posted: 3/28/2012 8:18:22 AM

So, 71 year old Ex-VP Cheney got a new heart. What do you think of that? A seventy year old man gets a new transplanted ticker while hundreds much younger than him remain on a waiting list. Did Cheney get special consideration?

He should have refused it. At 71, he’s lived a long life. By taking the heart, it is likely someone else much younger won’t get one and will die young. Cheney reminds me of Mr. Potter from that movie, It’s a Wonderful Life.

Should there be a cut-off age, and when you reach it you get removed from this list? I think there should be.

From what I've read, Cheney did not get special consideration.

Whether or not he should have refused it is a matter of opinion.

Should there be a cutoff? Yep. Sounds like Mr Cheney was on the edge. I'll leave it to the medical professionals to determine if anyone is a good/fair candidate.

For those avowing that this has nothing to do with left/right........I can only say:

liar liar, pants on fire.
 irishlab33
Msg: 136 (view)

Defunding Planned Parenthood-A Painful Betrayal
Posted: 3/11/2012 9:30:24 AM

edit to include:

And shame on you for crying states rights out of one side of your mouth and then ignoring state responsibilities out of the other side of your mouth...

Don't put words in my mouth. It's cheap, and you're better than that.

You are trying to make the children living in squalor a "Right vs. Left" issue. That's just silly.

Quit embarrassing yourself.

Texas is a state with all kinds of people. It's not a Red state, or a Blue state.

It's amazing that the so called "liberals" on this board have ZERO problem painting with such a broad brush.
 irishlab33
Msg: 132 (view)

Posted: 3/10/2012 7:16:43 PM
Hey Blade-

never said I wasn't "getting it". I said it was shameful that he tried to say that 2 small children living in squalor was connected to the Right.

guess you get to join him in shame.
 irishlab33
Msg: 122 (view)

Posted: 3/10/2012 8:19:27 AM

Hmmmm...Teas is so concerned about the unborn child that it has live children living by themselve in a school bus in squalor...sounds about right-for the evangelical rightwingers they are.

What in God's name does this have to do with anything?

Are you really trying to connect these two things?

That sir, is an all time low for you.

Epic Fail

How about saying that 2 children living in squalor is a failure on society.

The fact that you try to associate this as a "right vs. left" issue makes me sick to my stomache.
 irishlab33
Msg: 108 (view)

Posted: 3/9/2012 5:46:51 AM

If you feel that your beliefs should be forced on others then you are against others rights.

It is your "personal" choice to make and only that.

You do not have the right to decide for others, unless you believe that the government should be telling everyone what to do.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works.

You don't get to take half of my quote, and spin it to fit your argument.

The most important part of my quote was the part about life beginning at conception. I believe that they (the unborn, some of "the others") should get a say in whether they die or not.
 irishlab33
Msg: 25 (view)

Lottery winner still on food stamps.
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:32:30 AM

No actually it is creative math combined with some lies.

These explain the whole thing:

It’s A Myth That 47% Of Americans Pay No Taxes, In Truth 86% Pay Taxes
http://www.politicususa.com/half-americans-taxes/

The Myth That 47% of Americans Pay No Taxes
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/the-myth-that-47-of-americans-pay-no-taxes/question-1986041/

The 53% Myth: Working Poor Pay More Of Their Income In State And Local Taxes Than The Rich In 49 States
http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/10/12/341563/memo-to-erick-erickson-the-working-poor-pay-more-in-state-and-local-taxes-in-ever/

etc......

You really need to turn off Fox news and then maybe you will understand that % of groups who pay taxes are just peoples way of using numbers to spread lies.

Much like was pointed out earlier, lottery tickets are for people who are bad with math and so are misleading statistics.

I agree with you about statistics.

People can slant them to their argument and then "lie" about what they might represent.

I have seen you post articles with misleading statistics on multiple occassions. You seem to be a smart enough guy. Why do you resort to the same tactics that you belittle others for using?

OT- I read the article from your first link. (self described "real liberal" site). Even they admit that the 47% didn't pay any INCOME tax, though they (might have) paid SS and Medicaid, or real estate taxes, and sales tax.

So, they agree with the statement that in 2009, 47% did not pay any income tax.
 irishlab33
Msg: 106 (view)

Posted: 3/9/2012 5:14:27 AM

Women in Texas Losing Options for Health Care in Abortion Fight

Thanks for posting this.

Personally, I'm against abortion. Not becasue I'm against women's rights, but because I believe life begins at conception.

If the people of Texas feel that this is the way for them to stop abortions in their state, then that's their right. Right?
 irishlab33
Msg: 22 (view)

Lottery winner still on food stamps.
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:57:08 PM

Their free lunch comes in the form of tax relief and it is a heck of allot more than a few thousand per year.

you do realize, again, that "allot" does not mean the same thing as "a lot".......right?

The woman is bilking the system. Quit excusing her behavior by comparing her to others, who you "think" are wronging the system.

If you don't like the system, change it. Oh wait, you can't change our system. You're Canadian. Now I get it.........it's a jealousy thing.
 irishlab33
Msg: 121 (view)

heaven- a punishment or a reward...
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:15:56 AM

Rush Limbaugh, Andrew Breitbart, and a few others I could name believe in "Heaven". Every hateful Fundie claims a place in "Heaven". AND they believe they're going there. You may want to share space eternal with the likes of them, but I'll pass.

Some people preach tolerance, others practice it.
 irishlab33
Msg: 312 (view)

are the gas prices killing you yet
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:09:13 AM

That and a lowered demand, as the US is using about 10% less oil than it did last year and for the first since 1949 exported more oil than it imported.*

* http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-29/u-s-was-net-oil-product-exporter-in-2011.html

Taken at face value, this report sounds great. But when one delves a little deeper, we realize that there are fact, lies, and statistics.

In this case, I think the statistics might be a little misleading,one needs to look at WHY the US is using 10% less oil than it did last year.

IF it is because we're getting better fuel mileage, than, YEA for us. (and I believe that we are...........but not to the tune of 10%)

IF we're using 10% less beacuse our industries of construction, transportation and manufacturing are in the toilet, than I'm guessing we needn't be throwing ourselves a party for decreasing our usage by 10%.

Bottom line, decreasing our usage by 10% is not a good thing. Not good at all.
 irishlab33
Msg: 116 (view)

heaven- a punishment or a reward...
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:28:28 AM
On one hand we have:

My faith believes in the Summerlands, where the spirit goes to rest and reflect and learn from their lifes lessons before re-incarnating. I prefer it.

Very cool belief.

On the other hand........................same poster:

Having seen and dealt with the kinds of people who believe in "Heaven", I'd rather go to Hell than spend eternity with them.

Thanks for wrapping up the "heaven" believers is a nice bundle.

I think I'll save this little quote for when you go on one of your tolerance/intolerance rants.
 irishlab33
Msg: 282 (view)

are the gas prices killing you yet
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:19:17 AM

There is a plant out there that could provide allot of energy (among many other uses) and it was the biggest most important cash crop in the US until some rich people decided that cotton and wood pulp would be better for their business.

First, you do realize that "allot" is not the same thang as "a lot", right?

and Second, I'm having a hard time resourcing your "fact" about hemp being the "biggest and most important cash crop in the US".

I did however, find this site refuting as much:

http://hemphoax.org/hemp-myths/hemp-was-once-the-most-important-agricultural-crop-in-the-united-states/
 irishlab33
Msg: 234 (view)

Virginia Law: Mandatory Vaginal probes
Posted: 2/29/2012 6:55:28 AM

why is it that the right is so concerned with a fertalized egg, yet, ignores the wellbeing of a infant, child, adolescent, and adult.

I can't speak for all of the other "wingnuts" (great debate tactic BTW), but for me, I was raised to believe that life begins at conception.

Who cares for the infant? the child? the adolescent?

the parents do, my friend.

Unfortunately, in the case of abortion, the parent is trying to "harm" the baby. It is my belief that the unborn baby needs a voice. Why does the child have rights if the Mom want to keep it (see: "Lacy and Conner's Law") but no rights if she wants to "harm" the child herself.

Seems contradictory at best.

I don't believe the solution, however, is to pass law where a woman has to have an ultrasound prior to an abortion. That's just dumb.
 irishlab33
Msg: 228 (view)

Virginia Law: Mandatory Vaginal probes
Posted: 2/28/2012 7:25:11 PM
I'm Catholic.

I'm Anti abortion.

This proposed law is sheer stupidity.

Show ALL Forums