Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: minimum message length no longer working
 deusxmachina
Msg: 1 (view)

minimum message length no longer working
Posted: 7/18/2017 10:10:54 AM
The last 20 people who contacted me were all spammers trying to get me to sign up for other dating sites. they all sent a first message that just says "Hi there :-)"

So I set a minimum 50-character message length in my profile settings, and they stopped...

This morning I had a message that just said "Hi there :-)" in my inbox. I assume the spammer had added 50 blank spaces to the end of the message. Your spam filtering needs to be smarter... or your minimum length filter needs to be fixed
 deusxmachina
Msg: 1 (view)

Opt out of Meet Me
Posted: 4/30/2017 3:53:56 AM
I'm looking for an intellectual match and found Meet Me completely useless as nobody actually clicks through to the profile and finds out if they are actually compatible before pressing.

As I'm unwilling to pay for this feature or any of the other benefits of PoF paid membership, making it useless for everyone who clicks on my pic, it would be useful to be able to opt out of it.

I've already written an email rule so I dont get notifications when liked, but it would be nice to save the trouble to anyone else of clicking yes and getting no response.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 89 (view)

What has your dating experience been like in your 30's?
Posted: 9/18/2013 2:20:57 PM
What has your dating experience been like in your 30's?

Rubbish, frankly.. increasingly convinced that dating isnt the way ! people on these sites become so hardened and cynical...
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 37 (view)

Car M.O.T
Posted: 4/12/2009 2:54:16 PM
with diesels I'd say go VW or Peugeot (ick) for performance, or Ford for cheapness

my Mondeo TD is approaching 160,000 miles at a constant overall 44.3mpg. Apart from routine servicing the only major issue in 5 years was a solenoid-fail in the fuel pump that locked the turbo on full boost, causing some pretty thrilling driving and a variety of unexpected stalls for a few days 'til a local workshop changed it for me..
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 3 (view)

Gay couple sue Christians for barring them from Hotel bed...
Posted: 3/24/2009 4:09:04 PM
I used to live with a gay couple who were physically ejected from this self-same hotel for the same reason, for what its worth. Ruined their holiday.

Hope the law crucifies the proprietors. This is not acceptable in the 21st century any more than it would be to refuse service to jews or blacks ...
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 7 (view)

2000 quid for your car ?
Posted: 3/14/2009 6:07:03 PM
to be fair...

I have a '99, high-mileage Mondeo - eligible for this scheme

if for some reason i wanted to downgrade to a small, highly fuel-efficient runabout I could get credit for £7K and get £2K which is far more than my car is worth on top from this scheme...
£9K would get quite a nice small car - I'd be quids in, saving money on fuel, and the country would benefit thru reduced emissions and increased sales

In point of fact I'm scouring eBay for another low-mileage diesel Mondeo. I like a bit of space around me.....
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 88 (view)

Creationism or Evolution?
Posted: 2/28/2008 6:04:35 AM
Dinkie Doo

Can I just say I love the Clarkson Dance Move (Looooosers!)
Also, i think nowadays that Marx is wrong and in fact, opiates are the opiate of the masses
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 10 (view)

The Point of english MPs?? When the EEC!
Posted: 2/27/2008 11:03:01 AM
I love the way you make up supporting 'facts' and even then derive an inaccurate conclusion from them. I'm starting to think you can't even see the irony of referring to anything as 'stalinist, nazi'

Not really worth my time is it?
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 84 (view)

Creationism or Evolution?
Posted: 2/27/2008 10:56:01 AM
the real difference between the two is that Evolution is a scientific theory backed up by evidence, logic, experiment and research while Creationism is a religious myth based loosely on extremely ancient religious texts which pre-date modern understanding of science

Evolutionary biology should only be 'compared' to another scientific theory, otherwise it's like trying to decide whats best out of hot air balloons and parallel parking, umbrellas or poetry, elephants and neo-keynesian economics

the two aren't comparable, they don't come from compatible backgrounds.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 22 (view)

Earthquake Measuring 5.4...Hits Kent...
Posted: 2/26/2008 5:19:18 PM
My old home in Hemel for some reason would always shake along with UK earthquakes no matter how far away, due to some quirk of the chalk and clay layers below the town. That was the first serious tremor I've felt since moving to Croxley/Watford in 2006
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 2 (view)

Did the earth move for you ..???
Posted: 2/26/2008 5:14:22 PM
Watford, Herts. Flat rocked, creaked and groaned! I've felt tremors before (grew up in Hemel Hempstead which due to its geology is prone to repeating the tremors of the west-midlands fault) but that was bigger than most
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 17 (view)

Earthquake Measuring 5.4...Hits Kent...
Posted: 2/26/2008 5:04:58 PM
My flat shook tonight 0058

Anyone else feel that?

Edit location Watford-Rickmansworth Herts
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 43 (view)

Should we have a referendum on the EU Treaty?
Posted: 2/26/2008 4:42:57 PM
your parents / my grandparents generation fought and died not for some hypothetical dream of national independence that we've never actually had (ALL states throughout history are to an extent ruled by policy requirements to keep the peace and get on with neighbours) but to guarantee personal freedoms, the safety of their homes, the legitimacy of their governments, the force of their will

These are the fundamental aims of the European Union - a structure that lets Europe, the battleground of history, live with itself in peace and prosperity

the EU is the organisation you should thank every morning for the fact that we don't live in fear of marauding fleets of bombers, ballistic missiles hitting suburban neighbourhoods, cluster bombs in school playgrounds, because thats the authentic voice of European history prior to the Treaty of Rome

Nationalism invariably deteriorates into fascism. Communism degrades to slaughter by bullet or starvation. Internationalism is restricted to dusty textbooks in university libraries. The EU just works.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 2/26/2008 4:35:33 PM
permadrunk, you can dispute my points as much as you like but saying they are untrue won't make it so

ruffy tuffy whatever - I drive diesel too - being the analytical type I keep careful records of fuel usage and find it's still cheaper overall :-p

But lets face it, we're wasting our time here. the kind of mindset that starts this sort of thread isn't much interested in facts and logic
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 36 (view)

Britains roads
Posted: 2/26/2008 2:34:58 PM
Not really, no

an 80mph vehicle hitting a 70mph vehicle on a motorway lane is nowhere near as dangerous as 2 40mph vehicles going in opposite directions hitting each other - the difference in effective impact speed is a full 70mph

I'd far rather hit a car going at high speed in the same direction than a slower car head-on
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 34 (view)

Britains roads
Posted: 2/26/2008 2:06:43 PM
I did actually say - meaning it in several senses - that 'it's about the driver, not the road'

However the facts stand for themselves that fewer accidents happen on motorways than any other class of road
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 26 (view)

Sex Education
Posted: 2/26/2008 1:27:56 PM
Whereas yours has all the emotions but is criminally underinformed about self-protection

You call that responsible?
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 2/26/2008 12:54:52 PM
I reckon we should ban people from under 30 from having front fog lights, that might sort that problem out

I've been over Shap Fell on the M6 in 10-metre visibility without front fogs and it doesn't seem to have killed me - far more danger of being hit from behind than hitting something, if you're a careful driver
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 2/26/2008 12:23:48 PM
If he's a UKIP MEP it'll be all he can do to walk and chew at the same time, and you'd be advised to find a neighbouring constituency's member

To be strictly fair any extra usage of electricity causes poorer fuel economy, but by 2009 LED sidelights which draw far less power and last longer than incandescent bulbs will be very common, and expect more cars to be diesel-powered too.
 DeusXMachina

Architecture - Buildings You See Everyday
Posted: 2/26/2008 12:18:00 PM
"But are buildings built today going to last hundreds of years?"

well-made concrete will last 2,000 years easily - and I'm only saying that figure because I don't think anyone prior to the Romans used concrete, and a lot of their concrete roofs and walls are still standing. Could be 10,000 for all I know. Modern float glass will probably last for millions not thousands of years unless smashed, and stainless steel and aluminium structural elements will still exist when the earth is consumed by our sun's supernova

A bit of re-pointing and light maintenance and I'd say a lot of 21st-century buildings could easily last into the 40th century AD
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 31 (view)

Britains roads
Posted: 2/26/2008 12:12:05 PM
All I can say to that post, MissSelf, is that anyone with a degree of intelligence need NEVER be bored. I never am. if you need constant visual stimulus to keep yourself interested then the problem is between your ears, not between your bonnet and your destination

Re the post below I did regular trips of between 10 and 13 hours at the wheel without getting bored over the same route (the diff in time is regarding weather conditions, 10 hours was a best-possible time) - so again its about the driver, not the road
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 23 (view)

Sex Education
Posted: 2/26/2008 12:09:18 PM
IMO sex ed. should be compulsory not optional. the rest of the syllabus is compulsory, I fail to see why bigots should be allowed to let their children enter the world under-equipped
 DeusXMachina

Posted: 2/26/2008 12:06:51 PM
This law is a brilliant idea and should have been introduced decades ago. It vastly improves road safety. I don't see the problem (and if you'd ever owned a dark green car while living in the countryside you'd appreciate how much safety headlights in daylight can bring)

For your information. the EEC is not responsible for that, it was the EU (European Union) that runs this law. Secondly, Cuba is a Communist Republic, the EU is a Capitalist Federation, it's closer in form and structure to the USA than to Cuba so thats a fatuous point worthy of being ignored... thirdly please don't use sensible laws to expose your irrational opinion of the EU, which is the ONLY THING that will prevent the UK from lapsing into the state of pathetic irrelevance of a failed former colonial power which we would otherwise be
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 8 (view)

pain,`
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:49:27 AM
keep strong spirits (whisky/brandy/vodka) in your mouth for a while...

also, toothache is often worsened by acidity so try having an antacid tablet (Rennie or the like) or something alkaline like a banana or some bicarbonate of soda?
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 27 (view)

Britains roads
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:36:23 AM
Yes! Straight. Smooth. Fast. Low chance of finding pedestrians or parked vehicles, cyclists or grazing animals and all the other things that make the A-road network the most dangerous of all our roads

I love motorways. Whereas A-roads, like the A90 to Aberdeen, are just long narrow ways of getting killed
 DeusXMachina

keep it fresh
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:21:27 AM
MAP may strip out some stuff but its good for the primary - antiscorbutic - health property of vegetables. Vitamin C degrades when exposed to oxygen so reduction of it keeps the product vitaminised for longer
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 25 (view)

Britains roads
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:28:14 AM
I think our roads are pretty good actually (limited field of experience though - I've driven in all parts of the UK except ulster and in large parts of france, but nowhere else)

Some parts of Wales have roads that are narrow and dangerous but generally its the geography thats responsible for that.. and some of our motorways are just brilliant (M3, M74 particularly come to mind as great driving routes, also M6 once you're past Manchester)
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 16 (view)

stranger than strange laws
Posted: 2/24/2008 2:14:55 PM
Guys, take note of the above

If approached by single women next friday, RUN
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 57 (view)

Road Rage
Posted: 2/24/2008 2:11:40 PM
I have a habit of using maximum acceleration (which on my 88-horsepower diesel mondeo is not exactly warp-10) when people try to overtake me on the left in heavy motorway traffic in order to block them into their lane

Those times that I manage to out-accelerate the other guy it's great. Most times they get away
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 12 (view)

Toughest jobs.
Posted: 2/23/2008 5:53:14 PM
My 2 years as a part-time librarian while doing college were.. interesting. Not sure I'd really call what i did work, for an avid reader like me it was the equivalent of putting dracula in charge of the national blood transfusion service

Hard jobs, my preconceptions:

Lifeboat captain or fire officer
Army medic
Almost anything involved in agriculture (slave labour for shamefully low pay)
NHS doc/nurse or Social Services (so much responsibility)
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 37 (view)

Should we have a referendum on the EU Treaty?
Posted: 2/22/2008 5:49:22 PM
"Stalinist, Nazi organisation"

You lose just on the grounds of such a stupid turn of phrase
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 3 (view)

Raise the price of Alcohol or the Age of when you can start drinking?
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:14:41 AM
Do neither. Living in a Western democracy traditionally means having to make your own decisions and then live with the consequences

Government should provide a safety-net not a fussing nanny. I am not interested in their opinions on how much I should drink or how much I should pay for it
 DeusXMachina

Insurance Claims
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:11:28 AM
IMO it should be a lot harder to claim damages - as a left-winger you wouldn't necessarily expect that from me, but businesses have to be able to make a living without needing to pay off half the world for imaginary injuries every few weeks
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 21 (view)

and the 'typical' profile evolves.....
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:07:50 AM
"I think outside the box, live life to the max, like to work hard and play hard but also make time for a romantic night in with takeaway, a bottle of wine and a DVD. If you can see me i should be able to see you so pictures only please. I don't bite, unless asked to lol.

I'm looking for a soulmate to restore my faith in men. put this cross on your profile to support our troops!"

Any more platitudes we can get in there ?
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 95 (view)

Your teenager tells you she is pregnant, what do you do.
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:05:23 AM
PantsOnFire (PoF? is that a coincidence?)

In the same posting you claim that children are responsible, thoughtful and rational and irresponsible, thoughtless and irrational. This is something I've seen several times on this debate from various posters and it irks me. Make up your mind !
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 12 (view)

Travelling - Is is fair to expect one person to do it all?
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:02:34 AM
I figure a few hours drive is nothing to even be concerned about.. in fact on Tuesday this week I went cross-country by train for the first time since starting to drive in '97 and the whole experience was very relaxing (the route involved a change of trains and a 2 mile walk between nearby stations but was still easier than driving and only took about an hour longer than the equivalent drive, but allowed me to have several drinks and not worry..)

Nothing wrong with travel as long as you like travelling. I always have...
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 16 (view)

Do we need a leader like this?
Posted: 2/22/2008 6:36:39 AM
John Howard is not the prime minister of Australia

He lost an election to Kevin Rudd (an australian politician who has some human traits, unlike his predecessor) on 7th Dec 2007

whoever's sending these mails around is out of touch in more ways than the obvious
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 27 (view)

Rape???
Posted: 2/22/2008 6:34:09 AM
in my opinion if someone is tricked into coming to the UK by a pimp and forced/coerced/induced thru drug addiction into prostitution.. anyone who pays their pimp for sex is also committing rape
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 89 (view)

Posted: 2/22/2008 6:31:09 AM
In my opinion the only person in this thread who's showing common sense (apart from myself) is Fierce Fish
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 8 (view)

Work Hard & Play Hard
Posted: 2/21/2008 1:36:31 PM
make a profile using only platitudes - feel free to copy next para and add to it....

I think outside the box, live life to the max, like to work hard and play hard but also make time for a romantic night in with takeaway, a bottle of wine and a DVD. If you can see me i should be able to see you so pictures only please. I don't bite, unless asked to lol. put this cross on your profile to support our troops!

Whats sad is that probably REALLY IS someone's profile.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 22 (view)

Rape???
Posted: 2/21/2008 1:30:23 PM
"non-consentual sex is rape"

Exactly. I always work on the principle that if the girl's so blotto she's having difficulty standing/talking/conversing she's too drunk to give consent. A lot of people who get accused of rape still brought it upon themselves by sleeping with people who may have appeared to consent but were in no sensible state to do so
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 19 (view)

Do you know your neighbours
Posted: 2/21/2008 1:27:13 PM
Yup, I made the effort to meet them and in general I know their names and we stop to chat when passing (a few aren't social, which is their right and I respect it)
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 82 (view)

A home is not complete without .......???
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:13:22 AM
Underground command bunker
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 5 (view)

Work Hard & Play Hard
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:06:20 AM
it sounds like it ought to refer to a high-ranking executive who skis in winter and goes yachting in sumer, but the law of fate means it's usually just an alcoholic postman
 DeusXMachina

Work Hard & Play Hard
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:00:53 AM
I think it means they have a crappy job and they drink too much
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 69 (view)

Best way to de-ice the car
Posted: 2/21/2008 9:55:53 AM
JohnnyComeLately

based on my experience of spending time in Chester even civilisation hasn't yet reached there, and typically chivalry falls a long way behind that in arriving

Damn place should be razed to the ground and started afresh with a new population from somewhere less comprehensively inbred
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 9 (view)

People who look at you
Posted: 2/20/2008 2:26:03 PM
No offence Hal but I don't think you're my type
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 6 (view)

People who look at you
Posted: 2/20/2008 11:52:41 AM
sometimes it could be they can't contact you because of your contact restrictions?

other times it could just be they like your pic, or have the memory of a goldfish ....
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 21 (view)

Posted: 2/20/2008 11:50:53 AM
yup, most of you are more concerned with the girl possibly having a child than possibly having HIV

Way to go.. sod the abortion debate, you have months to think about that. STD recovery however can get harder with every day that passes between infection and treatment
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 2/20/2008 11:00:44 AM
Why's nobody else thinking that if she got pregnant she might have caught an STD too?

Getting pregnant unwantedly at any age is careless.. but having unprotected sex is just plain stupid (unless you want to get pregnant obviously - it's kinda necessary then)

And as far as I'm concerned anyone who has unprotected sex with an under-age girl deserves about as much sympathy as a rapist does

Show ALL Forums