Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Condoms and Blowjobs
 PureDreams
Msg: 66 (view)

Condoms and Blowjobs
Posted: 3/2/2008 12:57:30 PM
Thought I would post this from the tstd.org website. The real shocker is that 1 in 5 people have a STD and 80% don't tell their parneters. Think about that the next time someone says they have a clean past or have been tested.

"One in five individuals has an STD and 80% do not tell their partners. Even more frightening, a vast majority of those with STDs aren't even aware that they have one. They end up unwittingly spreading these diseases further through sexual contact. That's why it is critical to be aware when you may be at risk.

STDs are tricky, masquerading with everyday symptoms — flu, fever, headache — and sometimes exhibiting no symptoms at all. To stop their spread, beyond celibacy, there is an answer. Get informed and get tested."
 PureDreams
Msg: 65 (view)

Condoms and Blowjobs
Posted: 3/2/2008 12:39:54 PM
If you're having any kind of sex then you take a risk of getting a STD, even with the use of a condom. You can't trust what people say unless they tell you that they never had sex or kissed anyone. And a lot of people say that they get "tested" so they're "okay". But what are they tested for and why do people get tested AFTER they put them self at risk?

Most people are not tested for all known STDs out there, simply because it's too costly to do so. Not to mention, depending on the tests used they might not be very accurate either. The typical STD tests that most Dr.'s order don't include testing for HSV-1 or HSV-2 (oral and genital herpes). The main reason for this is that HSV-1 is so common, some 50% of people have it by the age of 18 and 80-90% of people have it by the age of 50yo - that's just in the USA. HSV-2 isn't as common as HSV-1 but is still high - about 20-25% of the people have it.

What I would recommend is this - if you're involved with someone and at the point to have sex then why not have both parties tested beforehand? If everything comes back clean then you can decided to use a condom or not - there are other reasons to use a condom vs protection from STDs. But if you don't get tested beforehand then use a condom for everything.

I really don't know why schools don't push testing before having sex and why getting testing done isn't easier to do in today's day and age. For those that are interested in my advice here's one place that will allow you to be tested anonymously. But be warned, they test for HSV-1 and HSV-2...you might just be shocked to find out that you have one or both of these infections since most people don't show any symptoms. That's the other reason why Dr.'s don't order a HSV-1 or HSV-2 test, most people are not able to handle it emotionally...and if you don't have any symptoms or problems they don't see the need to test for it because of that. You might think what I'm saying is wrong but it's so common (esp. HSV-1) that you should just consider that everyone has it. Btw, most people get HSV-1 when they're a kid - mostly by being kissed as a baby/child by an adult family member that has HSV-1.

http://tstd.org

Show ALL Forums