Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Student at 50+
 JAXDiver
Msg: 37 (view)

Student at 50+
Posted: 9/29/2012 1:10:14 PM
OP

1. There is nothing wrong with learning more.
2. There is nothing wrong with learning more so that you do NOT have to work hard. If you can, work smart, not hard!

Congratulations!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 27 (view)

Moving Past Initial Attraction Part II
Posted: 9/28/2012 4:57:25 PM
smartblonde asked
If the woman is fantastic in every other aspect but being a bit overweight, are you really not interested?
I would have to have another date with her.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 48 (view)

INTRODUCTIONS
Posted: 9/2/2012 5:58:06 PM
OP wrote:
How does a man over 45 years old introduce you. Does he say I'd like you to meet (insert name). Or are we too old to say I'd like you to meet my girlfriend (insert name). I was taken aback once wdhen a man I had dated 1 1/2 years said "oh, she's a good friend". Mens thoughts please?
In the Bible, Abraham called his wife, Sarah, his sister. Abraham didn't want to be killed because of his wife's beauty. Could this be a relevant comparison?

Anyway, I believe your introduction can be taken two ways. First, he could be allowing you freedom to determine if you wanted someone else over him and attempting to treat you as a possession. The other choice is that he is not really committed to you as you might be to him. My thought is you might want to know why he introduced you like that. What cannot be understood from above are the non-verbal communication, i.e. body language, during the conversation. Did he have any physical contact with you any time during the introduction? Or how far was he standing away from you? You may want to take that into consideration.

Me? I live in the South. One uses the title "Miss" and adds your first name. Small aside here, "Miss" could be used for a woman 80 years young and married for 65 years! It just doesn't matter! If she wants to feel like a possession, one might say, this is "My Lady", Miss such and such if she desires verbal comfort, but I believe the body language would do all the talking. If he introduces and stands back a half step, every man around would know who she is to him. He is proud to show her off. That should also be enough comfort and support to her. She would then to stand back by his side to confirm her position with him. Isn't communication wonderful? LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 73 (view)

Breaking your dry spell ...
Posted: 8/22/2012 3:15:17 PM
Warm showers work wonders. If he doesn't go for that suggestion, try a cold shower. LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 106 (view)

Men over 55 ??
Posted: 8/22/2012 3:12:25 PM
TALL_IQ2 wrote

Many people start counting backwards when they reach 50, so only the rare few Abe Lincoln descendants will ever admit to or post their age as 60 or over here on POF.

I would like to add a few years to my age, but I can't figure out how to do it. (A little help, please!) Maybe I can instantly become a distinguished gentleman,,,and I am using the term loosely. LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 61 (view)

Proper ID
Posted: 8/22/2012 3:04:43 PM
Since I am not attempting to rob the cradle, age verification really isn't important to me. However; remember Mike Tyson! LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 30 (view)

How to get back into the ring...
Posted: 8/5/2012 7:11:06 PM
Life is a journey, enjoy the ride! Be yourself, yet be a little guarded. It's a brave new world out there!

How to meet: Ask the question. Would you like to meet? Note: If you live in Philly and she lives in LA, planning is important. Don't forget good hygiene is good if you plan to meet more than once!

Rejection: Stay positive! Thanks for your interest. Good luck with you search.

As to how to get back in the ring: Push up on the top ring and bring one foot in between the center and top rings, then look back at the rings and bring the other foot through. In some rings, one needs to walk through the opening in the chain-link fence.

Remember, it's a brave new world out there! Enjoy!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 20 (view)

Bars and Over 40
Posted: 8/2/2012 5:11:55 AM
There are bars which have demographics over 45. One just needs to know their market. Personally, I would rather go to a restaurant with varying demographics to have one beverage.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 18 (view)

fake Soldiers
Posted: 8/2/2012 5:01:41 AM
holycowcow wrote:
That is amoung the lowest of the low... but army mom
you are a long time online dater. Does this surprise you?

No where else is there such fraud on so many levels.

Scams on dating site don't surprise me. Being a fake soldier could have some major federal consequences. I hope they lock them up!.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 17 (view)

Can't get a word in edge-ways ...
Posted: 7/30/2012 12:37:39 PM
OP, Chalk it up to experience and take some of the advice of the ladies here, but don't call him back. You don't communicate well! *wink* LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 42 (view)

Instant chemistry vs slow burn
Posted: 7/28/2012 3:52:41 PM
ScottishHouston wrote
So if I do NOT feel any attraction to a man I should go out with him 6 MORE times??? And if I feel NO attraction to a man should I go out with EVERY one of that ask me? How does this work if we are removing the attraction? And does that mean I should date the guys I am repulsed by?

I believe the answer to that would be biased by the other party. Some men might want you to go out with them six more times before you kick'um to the curb. Me? I think, why pimp me for dinner six more times? After the first meeting, a proper,"it not you, it's me." will work just fine. If not,hopefully, I would have understood by the end of date number five. LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 194 (view)

It's Not Over at 45
Posted: 7/28/2012 8:05:59 AM

Someone sent this to me....I think it's appropriate to this threa[d] and bears repeating...

As we grow up we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down, probably will.
You will probably have your heart broken more than once and its harder every time. You'll break hearts too, so remember how it felt when yours was broken.
You'll fight with your best friend, you'll blame a new love for things that an old one did
You'll cry because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love
So take too many pictures, laugh too much and love like you've never been hurt, because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back.

Don't be afraid your life will end..... be afraid that it will never begin......

anonymous

Thank you Mae. It does bear repeating.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 57 (view)

Are religious differences really a deal breaker between soul mates
Posted: 7/28/2012 7:52:18 AM
"Deal-brakers" come in all shapes and sizes. Religion can be one of these. The solution is easy! Chose what you desire to have in your significant other BEFORE you start using the search command. Only those with the attributes you desire will normally be shown and the "deal-braker" is moot, unless you start looking against you search preferences. That is the only time one will run into that challenge on this site, unless your selection has been untruthful about the particular attribute.

In my personal life, I have run into a religious difference. She was my first love. We talked about raising children. We found our impasse: Christianity versus Islam. I knew we were not going to remain together because i did not want to raise Muslim children. I was devastated! My heart hurt for about a year. I was only eighteen, but I learned a valuable lesson: for me, religion was the deal-breaker.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 49 (view)

Getting more rigid the older you get?
Posted: 7/28/2012 7:03:12 AM
We all get more rigid as we age. I suggest yoga.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 64 (view)

Clip in extensions on middle aged women?
Posted: 7/28/2012 7:00:03 AM
I knew a married woman who would wear miniskirts and stack heels in the 90's and she was in her 50's! Sooner or later all styles come back around. Wear what you want when you want, within reason. Your birthday suit at a formal just may not work. LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 19 (view)

Her lst Love Is Halfway Back. Thoughts? Advice?
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:33:56 PM
OP wrote:
What would you say in my place?

I would say what you have already stated: NOTHING! Steer clear.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 47 (view)

Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:17:29 PM
*mae* wrote:
A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Cheers!
JAX
 JAXDiver
Msg: 52 (view)

The person you are interested in is already retired ... you are not.
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:29:30 PM
belle.la.donna wrote:
I wouldn't. I think it is a little [presumptuous] to decide for the other person whether or not they want to date you since you aren't retired. Give them a chance. They can always say no.
I agree with her. Don't say no FOR him. allow him to make that decision for himself.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 62 (view)

A lesson from Hot In Cleveland
Posted: 7/11/2012 2:15:11 AM
In praise of older women......Don't forget Sophia Loren! [over 50 years of beauty and class & in her seventies!]
 JAXDiver
Msg: 17 (view)

Not Looking for Love In Your Last Chapter
Posted: 7/9/2012 10:45:52 PM
Nativerock wrote:
Oh I hear this so often from men that tell me they are not looking for love, just a little poo tang and that will make the relationship they want..Some women do feel likewise..

So I sit and think of how these very same men or women complained about their loveless marriages.. So why are these same people that are complaining, want another one just like it?
When you say "loveless" do you really mean sexless? If the latter, the resultant attitude is obvious.

Why are you concerned about these people?

Is your worry going to add days to your life? I think not! It will just add stress. Do not accept the need to worry about them.
Enjoy your place in life NOW! Now is all we have. Tomorrow is NOT promised. If you find someone along the way with which to share your life, and it pleases you, do so. Life is not all about sex. Do not allow those thoughts steal your joy!

Peace be with you, Nativerock.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 148 (view)

Trying to get men off the couch.
Posted: 7/8/2012 6:08:02 AM
I agree with the majority here. Don't wrestle with a pig. You will end up in the muck and the pig loves it there. Look for a bull. At least it's in the pasture, outside.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 7 (view)

Chance Encounters
Posted: 7/8/2012 5:36:36 AM

Hey all. Have you ever been somewhere... anywhere and walk by someone and catch more than one glance and not act on it and later think. Wow I should have said hi.....something. A true instinctive encounter and always thing I wonder if......

I have broken my neck several times like that. I have grown tired of wearing neck braces, then I moved to Florida. Now, I say hello and most people speak back to me. I am enjoying the neighborly Southern hospitality without something around my neck. However, I still stay in touch with my Chiropractor. It's part of staying healthy.
 JAXDiver

Health and dating over 50.
Posted: 7/8/2012 3:55:45 AM
OP wrote
It is important that we take care of ourselves by trying to shed pounds, cut back on alcohol and fatty foods etc....

So my question is..... when you are on a meet and great or first date and you notice your date has very unhealthy habits and looks unhealthy or unkempt does this play a factor in repeat dates?

I do understand that I do not want to end up pushing her wheelchair around next year, but genetics does rule sometimes. Make certain after the third date, that the forth date is a blood sampling date at the hospital for a full blood work-up.

OK, now I will not take her out for fried tofu and drinks. I'll make it baked tofu and organic green iced tea w/o the honey.
Bottom line: One way or the other, six feet under.

Yes, I do weigh five hundred pounds and still love only thin women. So? What the point?
 JAXDiver
Msg: 26 (view)

Ever get confused about who you're talking to?
Posted: 7/8/2012 2:48:26 AM

I know I shouldn't even admit this here, but it's true. I sometimes get people I'm meeting for the first time completely confused with another person I'm making plans with to meet. This hasn't happened just once either. I've sent email to the wrong person, called them by the wrong name IN person, gotten all the facts mixed up as to the person's history, etc. I can't be the only one this happens to,...right?

Debbie, welcome to the 50 and over club! I have two words for you: Ginkgo Biloba.
 JAXDiver

Kiss of Death and Lowered Expectations?
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:08:26 AM
Whatever your age limitations, I agree with both Jazzzy and SmartBlonde. A hug is sufficient. NO full body contact! Even more awkward it will be when after you hug her goodbye and she is still standing there. In that case, she IS waiting for a kiss. A peck will suffice and do follow her lead. SmartBlonde is correct, Hitch is a great movie for men and dating. I still get a good laugh regarding the First Kiss scene. It's very informational. If you do not relax, she won't either. Women are much better than men at reading body language and have that sixth sense.

You will do much better if you just sit back and relax. Enjoy the journey of finding THE lady of your choice.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 84 (view)

What is dating like now?
Posted: 7/3/2012 10:51:48 PM
Scurvy wrote
Sex is expected on the first date in these new modern times. Everyone does it. No exceptions. The point of the dancing is solely to judge how good you're likely to be at the sex.
Balderdash! Everyone does NOT do it. That is an obtuse generality. However, there are some dances which do promote the likeliness of sexual performance. Two that come immediately to mind are: Bachata and Tango. Tango is perfected over years of study. OP, Bachata is a dance you should observe! WOW! That will get you motivated to dance. LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 59 (view)

age, appearance and what you think
Posted: 7/3/2012 10:34:09 PM
Kayla58 wrote
How can someone look anything but the age they are?
Reduced dose of sunlight on the skin or increased amount of melanin in the skin aides in a more youthful look. Also, physical exercise can play apart in a more youthful appearance. Factor X in the blood does hinder wrinkling. The last one I have observed first hand. One of my neighbors in my home town has it and see has to be in her mid-seventies and her hair color changed more than her facial features. She looks like she is fifty: remarkable!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 83 (view)

Flashing....and I am not talking about yellow lights
Posted: 7/3/2012 10:09:09 PM
Flashing on Lake George happens all the time. If you want to see it, show the universal sign! [Faking a flash, over your head]
At Gunnison Beach, NJ, it's not flashing, it's called clothing optional!
It is called a nude beach at Black's Beach in La Jolla, CA.
At Orient Beach in St. Martin, one side is topless and the other side is nude. The average age on the nude side is over sixty! Yikes!
I was conned into going to Atlantic Shores in Key West. This one is only for the brave or sucker. I was dupped!

Being around flashers, sometimes is a thrill and other times sophomoric. Please apply generous amounts of SPF 50, prior to flashing. That skin could be particularly sensitive to the sun's rays.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 5 (view)

Constructive Criticism Welcome.
Posted: 7/2/2012 6:44:29 PM
It seems since you have chatted up some ladies and gone out, the basics of your profile meet the standard.

Once you meet, your charm and personality are being reviewed. If you know anything about body language or non-verbal communication [I do, and used to be a bouncer and posture says everything], make certain she feels comfortable with you. Don't sit too close & no staring allowed, just like not checking out the hot chick coming up behind your date [not cool]. Something about this area may be keeping you from date number two or three.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 10 (view)

Some constructive criticism please? Profile Review
Posted: 7/2/2012 6:26:44 PM
Loose the photos with the honeys!

Smile in a few new pics taken by someone else.

Patience, Consistency, Tenacity ! Sprinkle the last with care.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 5 (view)

Ok.. A little help here?
Posted: 7/2/2012 6:18:02 PM
Name change? Most definitely!

Interests: Take your time and fill it out. If you like the same things, you have a better chance at conversation.

Photos: You smiling and you smiling while doing something you like to do work wonders.

Cheers!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 8 (view)

looking for an honest profile review
Posted: 7/2/2012 6:05:07 PM
FairOaksChick wrote:
Remove the glasses, doll up, have a friend take some photos of you, NO self-photos, delete all the photos you have except maybe the last one.
I agree. Especially allow someone else to take you pictures. [Upper torso shots and smile] How about an action shot with you swimming, cooking or baking or how about a photo with the finished product? [a way to a man's heart....]
 JAXDiver
Msg: 54 (view)

Weekend Getaway Gone Wrong :0(
Posted: 7/1/2012 6:07:24 PM

Some of you would never have survived BCT or AIT in the Army when they were still using the old WW2 Barracks. They had a row of toilets lined up about a foot apart and no dividers between them. You get a bunch of broad shouldered guys using them at the same time and you're rubbing shoulders while doing your business

MJ1963 wrote
But you weren't dating them...were you?

Now in today's Army they are dating ! Isn't that nice? Just don't tell me!

I take this moment to thank all the US Armed Forces, who know our freedom isn't free. Happy Fourth of July to those of us on the west side of the pond!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 3559 (view)

GUYS!!! If you met the right woman, could you wait for the sex till marriage?
Posted: 7/1/2012 6:13:38 AM
OP
I'm not saying you can't do other things, but the actual intercourse...could you wait for it?
Other things? Details please! Details! LOL
 JAXDiver

Why do men and women go back to someone from a previous relationship?
Posted: 7/1/2012 5:44:41 AM
I am not saying that people are like shoes, but do you own a comfortable pair of shoes?
 JAXDiver
Msg: 41 (view)

Would you date someone who admitted to previous affairs
Posted: 7/1/2012 4:12:40 AM
Landra2 posted
I know many women who, after a few years in a relationship, decide sex is a "chore" and their man is no longer on their to-do list. Yet expect "monogamy."

Landra2
I know women who feel men are little more than idiot children and need to be nagged and harangued for years, verbally castrating them. Yet expect "monogamy."
I'm getting paranoid! I wish Landra wouldn't talk about my life so directly. I'm starting to have flashbacks. All those years in the straight jacket. They are coming to take me away again! OOPS, I have forgotten. All I need to do is say I was having a nightmare and wake up.

I hope I used my inside voice.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 78 (view)

It's getting serious...Should I ask for a pre-nup?
Posted: 7/1/2012 3:26:49 AM
1388SmartBlonde asked
Am I wrong to want to protect my own retirement security against the possibility of divorce by asking for a pre-nup and full disclosure of all financials before I accept his proposal?

You MUST be kidding! Prenup and full financial disclosure allows you to have those loving eyes WIDE open before you say , "I DO".
 JAXDiver
Msg: 2 (view)

Relocating and starting over
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:16:08 PM
I did so last year! I moved to Jacksonville, FL. Climate? Housing Economy? All ok! Heck, my brother lives here to boot! His wife has dementia and turned for the worse. I am glad I moved here and he can used the help. As far as dating went, how does out the window sound? However, I joined POF when I moved and the forums family has welcomed me with a straight jacket & a padded cell. What more can a man ask for? LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 11 (view)

Just another death thread.....well, sort of
Posted: 6/29/2012 4:26:49 AM
OP wrote:
And if you don't have a Will/Living Will and don't plan on having one, do those who love you know what you want done in the unfortunate event you die without documents? Burial or cremation? Funeral or Celebration of Life or no service what so ever? One huge party at someone else's expense?

A living will is a must to prevent family matters from going from stressful to berserk. It's the loving thing to do.

If one lived a life worth living and impacted people the way in which one wanted, why would you care how people gather after one is gone? Me? I'll set aside the cash for a BBQ after the funeral! LOL
 JAXDiver
Msg: 28 (view)

What do You do on a Bad Date?
Posted: 6/26/2012 9:48:15 PM
LOL I agree with Mr. Tall,,,well, about fist meets [short and sweet, if the chemistry is not good]
 JAXDiver
Msg: 149 (view)

Is 61 the cut-off age for having any luck on POF?
Posted: 6/26/2012 7:41:53 PM

The last actual date I went on (not a meet-n-greet, a real date) was with a 49 year old woman. And she contacted me, go figure.
Congratulations! I know sixty is coming. I'm glad to hear that they don't need to throw the dirt on me, yet!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 30 (view)

I want a quick first meet, he wants a leisurely dinner!
Posted: 6/26/2012 6:56:21 PM
Silver_T asked
Or gentlemen, do you insist on dinner as a first date vs the quick meet?

I prefer the coffee or drink route. I care to word it that way because the amount of time spent together is a mutual arrangement. It could be fast or slow depending on the company. Heck, it could be so enjoyable that lunch, dinner and a movie could occur! It just depends, but a beverage and conversation comes first.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 46 (view)

Weekend Getaway Gone Wrong :0(
Posted: 6/26/2012 12:35:24 AM
I used to travel greater than 50% for work and would seem to have this challenge. My "cure" was to drink plenty of water and eat my fruits and veggies. From then on, it was smooth sailing!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 28 (view)

Dating Snafu - MONOLOGUES
Posted: 6/26/2012 12:29:44 AM
flaneur001 wrote
What do you think?

After reading your exploits.......... I'm speechless!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 50 (view)

Middle aged man, new Camaro
Posted: 6/24/2012 12:57:19 AM
I have had a sports car. I am thinking about one again, after I purchase my first truck.

I would drive the vehicle I would want to drive. For me, it would be the detailed truck with your new air freshener of choice.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 46 (view)

Would U @ MiddleAge B willing 2 make a change in your appearance 2B more successful w/dates?
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:02:58 AM
nativerock wrote
Well I consider myself a work in progress..So I am constantly revolving and hoping people enjoy my progression as well.. Besides if I ever do couple he will never be bored.. lol
Whether we believe it or not, we are all changing as we age. Please don't change so much that you could be picked out of a line-up. Even worse would be your significant other does know you when awakened the next morning. [Goes to sleep with a blonde and wake-up with a redhead!] LOL Please don't be that person.
 JAXDiver
Msg: 34 (view)

Forums are grabbing my attention more than the profiles, OH NO!! lol
Posted: 6/19/2012 11:05:08 PM
The forums are where the happy people go, when they are not in the padded rubber room. If you hit post reply too often, the addiction begins and the rubber room isn't too far behind. Or is the rubber room where the profiles are in disguise?
 JAXDiver
Msg: 364 (view)

Should men color the gray
Posted: 6/18/2012 3:47:13 AM

Think one of the sexiest things out there are silver foxes... personally much prefer it to the obviously dyed look; but everyone's different.
Heck, you ladies are making me think that I need to dye my eyebrows silver!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 67 (view)

Bittersweet excitement.....buying a house w/o someone to share the fun
Posted: 6/18/2012 3:26:58 AM
Congrats! If you so desire, have an ALL call to the Forums gang at your place to christen it in style.
Make a housewarming list at Bed, Bath & Beyond or someplace of your choosing and let us fill it!
I know you're feeling like you're missing someone, but good friends will make up for it in a pinch!
Heck, once a quarter [over a weekend], I might like to help with your landscaping. Keep the B&B open!
I'll take mine as a mimosa! Cheers!
 JAXDiver
Msg: 4 (view)

Why do some women have on their profile that they're looking to date, but really want to marry soon.
Posted: 6/17/2012 6:09:46 PM
Lovely Lady,

I believe the day will come when the Peter Pan [a.k.a. Cap N] will turn into a praying mantis and the game will change.

I will not even try to speak for the male sex, but only for myself. I will enjoy the journey until I know the day has arrived. No pressure! If that doesn't seem to answer your question, will I am similar due?

Show ALL Forums