Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: WisestIsSheWhoKnowsSheDoesNotKnow
 audiokaos
Msg: 199 (view)

WisestIsSheWhoKnowsSheDoesNotKnow
Posted: 7/16/2007 1:49:41 PM
Bigger numbers are better - ie 96Khz is far better than 44.1Khz & 24 bit is better than 16. Having said that, if your going to mp3, you'll be limited to it's specs (48Khz sample rate, 320bps bitrate) anyhow for the final. Just keep a wav or flac (lossless compression) as a master if you have to continue editing. Uncompressing mp3's, editing & recompressing created horrid artifacts.

ak
 audiokaos
Msg: 198 (view)

the HOME RECORDING STUDIO thread
Posted: 7/16/2007 1:42:47 PM
It's that inexpensiveness that is creating crap production. I formally produced music in the late 80's & early 90's, back when analogue was the way & the open reel & razor blade was king. I've done live sound & am starting to get back into that again. (It gets in your blood!) Home studios drove the quality of audio to a new low. Not to say that it can't be done, but people have to educate themselves on how to do it properly. Unballanced audio sounds like hell even when it isn't digital. Good gear costs much more than a home stereo.

Having said this, it's better than people keep the DIY attitude in the time of the net. Soon there will be virtually no money to be made & it will just be the love of the medium that makes people create. With the net as the distributor it gives a "market" that can't be beat.

ak.
 audiokaos
Msg: 72 (view)

Is it me, or does radio suck these days?
Posted: 4/4/2007 8:46:50 AM
All radio sucks, apart from The Mars Bar on 94.9 fm (http://therock.fm) every thursday & friday night from 7-12pm EST.

Mind you, it's when I hear songs that I don't know that I like radio...:)

ak
 audiokaos
Msg: 2 (view)

Anyone else try recording old records?
Posted: 4/4/2007 8:10:56 AM
Same here- Records rock..:)

Having said that, Bing, Frank & Harry are all out on CD. Even I think that CD sounds better than a hacked record. It's even questionable if the original recordings can take advantage of Vinyl over their CD counterpart. Just download replacements... Most countries allow you to backup music that you own in terms of copyright- it's just that your downloading instead of copying. But read below should you wish to embark on the road of vinyl. For 70's thru the 90's however, vinyl is only surpassed musically by the Reel to Reel...:)

Anyhow, I've done this professionaly, now just by special request. Here's what you need to do-

If you don't already have one, get a good quality cartridge & turntable. The nicest balance of quality / afordability I find in a cartridge is the Shure V15 type 5 cartridge. It's got the best sound for a cartridge that you'd still be willing to do the following with..:) For turntables, well, it's all personal taste, but it usually coinsides with what you can afford. Generally for something of quality, commercially or on ebay your looking at at least $700 Cdn... Look for Thorens, Linn, Duel, Gerrard etc... This price can be reduced greatly (Sometimes nearing free!) if you hunt around local garage sales, flea markets etc. Many people don't know what their old equipment may be worth...

Itr you haven'tr done so, set up your turntable properly. There's many web pages showing how to do this Try some of these-

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html
http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/turntabl.htm

That is 99% of what makes vinyl sound the best it can.

1: Clean the records with either a commercial record cleaner or one of the home made recipies found on the web, generaly a mix of Isopropal, water & dish detergant. Check the web for the ratios, I don't have them at this point....

2: For the frying bacon sounding vinyl- Play the records wet. Use a soft toothbrush or paintbrush (A new one, or one that you can be certain doesn't contain any impurities) and spread DISTILLED water (VERY important- Tap water may destroy your records due to minerals in it. Distilled water doesn't contain those, so it's safe) Be carefull not to get it on the label as it may damage it if it's excessive. This gets rid of huge amounts of pops.

3: for 78's or 45's what you can do is record them at 33 & then utilize pitch shifting to speed 'em back up. This reduces mechanical noise, as well as enhances lower quality cartridges high frequency info. It just brings it into the audio range that the cartridge is able to do. Skips are also much less likely to happen when dealing with hacked records. Of course if your using audiophile grade equipment, this shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm just assuming most people don't.

4: Use Sony Sound Forge's "Click & Pop remover" filter. Don't use the vinyl restoration as that KILLS the high end. For real bad pops or cracked records, you'll also want to manually edit those pops out- the filter has a tendency to cause a drop out in the sound. The human ear is much more sensitive in that area.

5: Just email me if you have any questions!

ak

Show ALL Forums