Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Getting to know you
 carolann0308
Msg: 15 (view)

Getting to know you
Posted: 7/14/2017 8:53:10 PM
Do you accept that most people are not what they put out there in the first 3-4 weeks? This is not HS when you are 36 old. It takes time to learn and trust. 'Getting to know you', means your parents, siblings or the people you eat lunch with in the school cafeteria do not know who you are meeting. There is no connection, so you need to work at it.
Starving Artists are irresistible at 23, but at 36 smell like Peter Pan on a bad day.
 carolann0308
Msg: 65 (view)

Would you ever try to get a ex back who dumped you?
Posted: 6/5/2017 12:12:00 PM
It wasn't distance that broke you up. It was divine intervention. He's a loser

He has two baby mama's, is over 30 with no car, and whined every time he had to come to see you.
 carolann0308
Msg: 13 (view)

Single moms and babysitters
Posted: 5/23/2017 1:04:11 PM
Your profile says you do not want kids. So why on earth would you date single mothers?

Just an FYI, teenagers are amongst the most unreliable people in the world. I've had more babysitters call in 'sick' 5 minutes before I needed to leave the house than I can count. The younger ones make you nervous and the older ones will bail on you if there is even the slightest chance of going out with friends that night.
Plus the cost of getting a Babysitter for a Saturday night is borderline ridiculous. 18 years ago I was paying $25-30 for a 3 hour night out, plus I had to arrange dinner for her and my kids.

Your best friend in the world is not going to let you drop off your kids for the night just because some guy from the internet wants you to be available to him at a moment's notice.
 carolann0308
Msg: 18 (view)

Stay at home mom
Posted: 5/23/2017 12:42:50 PM
You have no kids and only work part time now. Do you believe you are up to the task of working a 24/7 job for 18-21 years? I'd say no, if you are not self supporting yet. How does a 31 year old pay rent, car, utilities etc working part time?
Stay at home parenting can be the toughest job in the world, expect a 'traditional' guy to look to you for 90% of the childcare as well as all the housework, shopping and meals. If a man is paying all the bills in this economy he will need to work more than 40 hours a week outside the home, so anything going on inside the home will fall on your shoulders.

If you live at home and are looking for a new Daddy, you'll be looking forever.
 carolann0308
Msg: 60 (view)

Hold the mayo
Posted: 5/20/2017 7:12:39 PM
First meet should be for a cup of coffee, why should it matter how tall you are or what you weigh? $5.00 is not a commitment. Do you have a connection, is her/his profile interesting? Buy the damn cup of coffee you have nothing to lose.
It's only the people that waste large amounts of your time that get to the point of asking stupid superficial questions. 10 emails followed by weeks of imaginary sexual tension? Christ why do you need to complicate things?
 carolann0308
Msg: 27 (view)

friends zone, next stage, then back to friends zone.
Posted: 4/30/2017 4:25:04 PM
You've told her how you feel and she is still keeping you at arm's length, so you need to take a step back. No more free home repairs or dirty dancing nights out. She let you know that she is not ready for a romance and you need to listen to her.
Be friends and keep your options open.
 carolann0308
Msg: 23 (view)

He ran away from me in the street..why?
Posted: 4/12/2017 12:46:51 PM
Does it really matter what he may or may not have felt after all the time that has gone by? He treated you badly and then ran like a baby when he saw you again.
He's a Dad now. Life has completely changed for him.
Every minute you spend thinking about something you cannot change is stopping you from moving on.
 carolann0308
Msg: 22 (view)

How has the Obesity Crisis affected your dating life(if at all)?
Posted: 4/7/2017 2:47:25 PM
You like what you like, and you have no reason to apologize for that. I would think that between the gym and the beach you can find dozens of thin women to ask out.
But if these women are not attracted to you, then you need to look inward and figure out why. It has nothing to do with your bank account, or not being a movie star unless YOU make it a point to target shallow Barbie Dolls looking for a sugar daddy. Trying to compete for silicone infused gold diggers at industry events seems like a losing proposition to me. Let the rich guys have them.
The OC like anywhere else in the world is full of attractive regular people too. Nurses, teachers, accountants, servers, hairdressers etc who are looking for real love not a checkbook. But what are you looking for? A hot piece of arm candy or a relationship? A woman can spot an insincere guy who judges on appearance only from a mile away.
 carolann0308
Msg: 38 (view)

Friend Zone
Posted: 4/3/2017 1:06:14 PM
I think you have built up the idea of asking for a date to be much more important than it really is. You've known this girl 3 years she is not a stranger and she feels comfortable with you. She has carpooled with you (that shows she really trusts you) and she calls you back when you telephone, that shows she is willing to talk and not just text.
What on earth are you waiting for a sign from God????
Make the call and know beyond a shadow of a doubt if she is interested.
 carolann0308
Msg: 17 (view)

The EX
Posted: 2/8/2017 10:43:16 AM
10 years divorced? I would be grateful that my BF and his ex wife are civil enough to put their issues aside and make accommodations for the co-parent.
You either trust your man or you don't. Any time there are children involved the ex relationship lines get a bit blurred especially when there is long distance between households. My ex husband always stayed with a friend when he went from FL to NH to see the kids. But if that is not an option then I think it is very kind for the child's mother to allow him to stay.
You did not say how long you were dating or whether you had met the child or the Ex. you also never mentioned if you offered to pay for him to stay at a hotel or offered to take the trip with him to meet everyone. I think you can tell a lot about people by a face to face meet or spending a bit of time with them. It sounds to me like your insecurities broke the relationship.
NEVER come between a parent and their child, all family dynamics are different. Suck it up or move on.
 carolann0308
Msg: 171 (view)

Has the Women's March affected your relationship?
Posted: 2/3/2017 2:09:58 PM

Your right and I get that yet as a society we are moving towards making it as equal as possible between the sexes. They make special exceptions in a draft situation to men who have children and a variety of other things including age. A single woman with no kids will eventually have every right to be drafted as much as a single man with no kids. We aren't talking about choice or joining we are talking about drafting and registering for the draft.

Actually the question was "Has the women's march affected your relationship' Not 'How much did you hate being in the Army'.
You have chosen to go off on a tangent about men having to register for selective service and women not. I suggest if the issue is that important to you that you write Congress (80 % male), Senate (80% male) and the Joint Chiefs of Staff who have ....................wait for it....................all been male since the inception of the office in 1942. Ask them why they are not insisting on 18 year old girls registering. They will probably be far better versed on this issue than we are.
 carolann0308
Msg: 15 (view)

Do you think the distance was the reason he dumped me?
Posted: 1/25/2017 11:02:00 AM
If you don't have a car then obviously you should be dating someone closer to your home.
 carolann0308
Msg: 65 (view)

Has the Women's March affected your relationship?
Posted: 1/25/2017 10:47:54 AM
My daughter and I marched in Boston, my Mother and sister in Miami, and my sister in law and niece in Washington. I vote and I am well informed. I was marching to let people around the world see that not all Americans are anti-immigrant, many of us do believe in climate change, we believe in a woman's right to choose, and we believe people should be able to marry the person they love. There were a lot of messages that day but Hate was not one of them.

And in case anyone cares I did not wear a vajayjay on my head nor did I see anyone else wearing one either.
 carolann0308
Msg: 14 (view)

Am I Just Clueless?? Please Help
Posted: 1/24/2017 10:51:41 AM
She's a whack job and yes she gets her kicks out of tormenting you. Be smart and drop her like a hot rock.
 carolann0308
Msg: 5 (view)

cock blocking?
Posted: 1/23/2017 8:59:14 AM
Next time you are invited to a function and get paraded around say "Hi I'm Mary, actually I'm very single right now, Bob is just being funny" Then stay right where you are and start a conversation with these new available men.
 carolann0308
Msg: 16 (view)

Her Hair
Posted: 1/17/2017 8:51:50 AM
I 'm so very sorry for you and your daughter. You will both be in my thoughts. Please check with the hospital. I was allowed in to sit with my oldest friend during her post chemo isolation after suiting up.
 carolann0308
Msg: 3 (view)

Am I Just Clueless?? Please Help
Posted: 1/16/2017 8:21:45 AM
Clueless, no. But you both communicate like 8th graders. You have known each other for years, it is obvious the relationship is getting a little more than friendly.
So invite her on a proper date (try calling instead of texting) and ask her a direct question that night. "Mary will you be my GF"
 carolann0308
Msg: 14 (view)

Advise on this situation.
Posted: 1/15/2017 6:42:44 PM
When a lady shows interest and you are interested, you make magic happen. A 5-6 hour drive is hardly the other end of the planet. Not sure what a professional 'runner' does, but why didn't you run to be with her?
From your history you have made this mistake before..................why have you not learned from it?
 carolann0308
Msg: 50 (view)

Not allowed to spend new year together?
Posted: 1/15/2017 6:31:46 PM
God I hope you dumped this ahole by now. The only logical reason a man does not ring his GF to a party is that his other GF is going.
 carolann0308
Msg: 24 (view)

Why be a Liar with your profile?
Posted: 1/14/2017 9:16:23 PM
#1 you meet at an arranged location
#2 It is short and sweet just to scope each other out. Coffee or quick glass of wine.
#3 Never wait more than 15 minutes

Use common sense.

No normal person hooks up with someone that's hung up on their ex. You're profile is awful, and any shitty date you attract is your own fault. Anger and self absorption will attract losers.
 carolann0308

Why be a Liar with your profile?
Posted: 1/14/2017 9:04:16 PM
duplicate
 carolann0308
Msg: 24 (view)

Do I really need to grow up?
Posted: 1/13/2017 11:31:53 AM
Why do you care what anyone else thinks? If you take up dabbling in music again and it makes you happy that is all that matters. Should people not work out just because they stopped in their 20's or never go to a concert because they have not gone since 1995?
As long as you are not harboring some teenage fantasy about hitting the road with a band then it should be a non-issue. If your new hobby is one of the ways you are avoiding your relationship then maybe you need to rethink the relationship.
My ex husband started playing the drums at 5, he played all through school and then at 21 put the sticks down went to college and got a 'real' job. I met him a few years later. Throughout our marriage he would lament that the 8-5 routine and responsibility of managing a department and having a mortgage was not "who he really was because HE WAS A DRUMMER MAN."
My reply was "no, you are a 45 year old engineer that used to play the drums" I was 100% behind him playing for fun or buying a new set but he was always miserable imagining a life that never was.
 carolann0308

Gay guy tortured by the Universe.
Posted: 1/12/2017 8:03:55 AM
If your love relationships keep repeating the same bad pattern then you need to change what you are doing because the only constant is you.
Having lots of platonic friends is not a bad thing because good friends can help you find the right guy. Most people your age gay or straight are trying to figure out the whole dating thing, so do not get discouraged. Let your friends know what you really want in a partner and don't be afraid to ask them if they know someone you can meet. Most of my gay friends did not meet their long term partner until they were in their mid thirties.

Relax you are not being tortured by the universe, only making the same mistakes over and over again.
 carolann0308
Msg: 12 (view)

You're cool but...
Posted: 1/12/2017 7:55:32 AM
Let him contact you and ask you for a proper date, if all he suggests is to 'hang out' at his place and watch movies (code for let's have sex again) then move on. He has only been single for a only few months so the next year or so is going to be purely bachelor days for him. He is not ready for a GF.
Stop texting him randomly and keep your dating options wide open as you could easily fall into the FWB catagory for him.
You are in a very different place than he is and ready for a real relationship. Back off before you become emotionally invested in a man that isn't available.
 carolann0308
Msg: 11 (view)

Increasing your chances to date someone with high education level
Posted: 1/11/2017 12:24:05 PM
Who on earth would ask you to discontinue your account?

I would think a young guy would have no problem finding a woman in NYC just saying 'I'm a Dr' to every girl he meets.
 carolann0308
Msg: 10 (view)

Still Single after 7 years
Posted: 1/9/2017 2:14:56 PM
How long is 'a while' chatting on Facebook?

Personally I think if she shows interest by replying you should show interest by suggesting a meet up.
 carolann0308
Msg: 80 (view)

why yes, by actually addressing it. as in, sit his ass down and talk about it
Posted: 1/9/2017 1:54:55 PM
You may be 100% correct OP, the guy may just be be cheap or like lots of people were raised with the idea that debt of any kind is wrong, so they put off doing the things they want to do or dream of doing because the fear of losing a job or getting old or scares the shite out of them. He makes plans and then when it comes down to pulling out his wallet he freezes up.
For some reason he can justify Action Figures (if he keeps them in the original boxes we may be looking at a collector).
You are the polar opposite, if you promised to go out with someone for a celebration you would borrow or go into debt to keep your word. Occasionally we have to face the truth, our friends are not us.

To be involved with a man like this requires change and you cannot expect him to be the one to do it. If you want to be with him then you have to
1. Tell him the truth about how you feel
2. Accept the fact that he will always view spending money differently than you will
3. Expect everything that drives you crazy now to magnify ten fold if you date him

This is not a 20 year old kid, it's a man in his 40's. He is who he is.
 carolann0308
Msg: 59 (view)

Is there any way to address a potential boyfriend's cheapness?
Posted: 1/8/2017 9:31:06 AM
If he only considers you a friend then why on earth would he think of going to a nice restaurant with you? He has money and spends it on what he enjoys books, cds, dvds, tv and action figures.
If you told him you wanted to be his GF the light would possibly go off in his brain and he would think of you differently, but right now you're just a buddy he hangs out with.
 carolann0308
Msg: 27 (view)

why publicly slander a date?
Posted: 1/7/2017 8:28:13 PM
A weird email from some anonymous ahole is no reason to get upset. YOU put your picture on this website and anyone can contact you if your settings allow it. You may live in a small town but how many people who live there, are on POF, would find the forums and then track some BS back to you? If you can't find the thread then it probably never existed, but starting a new one with your picture kind of puts the whole thing out in the open. Last week you were anonymous now you are forum history.

Bama.....welcome back

Drama queen thread linking angry rehasher.......welcome back too
 carolann0308
Msg: 26 (view)

Dating guy out of my league and scared (he is 27 I am 41)
Posted: 1/4/2017 10:08:26 AM
If you're afraid a man you used to love will reject you due to weight gain, then you have two choices be 100 % honest and say "Bob I've gained 30 lbs and I don't think you'll find me attractive anymore" or kept your mouth shut and put off a visit until you drop 30 lbs then spend the rest of your life fretting about every cookie or french fry you eat.

Personally I'd take him up on the visit. You have nothing to lose because you are not in a relationship with him now. You are talking about moving and moving in together when you are not even sure you are still compatible.
 carolann0308
Msg: 11 (view)

Too Soon for New Years...?
Posted: 1/1/2017 8:03:51 PM
NYE is just another date night. Why not have a night out with a new friend? Most of my circle are coupled up and staying home, so a nice dinner, comedy show 0r a few drinks sounds fun. Like any other blind date, let people know where you are going and who you are with. Drive yourself and keep your wits about you. Or join a public event like First Night and bring a few buddies.
I spent my first NYE after my divorce at the bar of a local historic tavern. I got there at 6, ate dinner and brought a good book. I was home by 9. But there were a dozen friendly locals and it did not feel weird. Everyone was in a good mood.
 carolann0308
Msg: 7 (view)

Why does he ask?
Posted: 12/21/2016 9:32:27 AM
Your mutual friend is a sh1t stirrer.
Maybe he is just curious, you are his WIFE'S single friend. Next time respond with "I am really starting to meet some great interesting men, not like in the old days" any illusion he has of your interest in him will be cut off.
 carolann0308
Msg: 36 (view)

Taking a poll....
Posted: 12/21/2016 9:28:16 AM
They do not change, your personality starts at birth. There are many people that have narcissistic tendencies but have learned how to tone it down usually due to good parenting.
But a 40 year old+ forget it, they are who they are and they see nothing wrong with it. My BIL is definitely a narcissist and his parents made it worse by heaping praise on every minor success. But you know, it works for him in his field of work. He is in sales and he never takes offense at a 'no' answer, can talk to anyone, is comfortable in any situation and nothing distracts him from a goal he sets. Family wise, he has the ability to drive my sister nuts. But she laughs off his grandiose ideas and loves him for his positive attributes.
 carolann0308
Msg: 30 (view)

What he says to other women
Posted: 12/21/2016 9:19:45 AM
Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to in this type of situation. Unless you have discussed with your partner 'being exclusive' you are both free agents and can date and talk to whomever you like. He didn't do anything wrong he just is not in the same place you are. Playing games is for kids. Be a big girl and talk to adults in person.
 carolann0308
Msg: 10 (view)

What's going on here?
Posted: 12/15/2016 11:51:08 AM
She's bored, looking for a fight, causing drama where none exists, could be a moron perhaps?
 carolann0308

Putting the Past in the Past
Posted: 12/14/2016 8:43:12 AM
Several cheating episodes AFTER you became exclusive in 2014? I'm pretty sure I would have said sayonara after that.
You can say you forgave and moved on, but both your and his reaction to the picture said this was some seriously unfinished business.
 carolann0308
Msg: 31 (view)

come here-go away and how to stay the hell away from it
Posted: 11/30/2016 7:56:47 AM
My advice to you is when a woman backs off ........... move on and don't look back. Smarten up and stop wasting your time with people that run hot and cold. You say you are in it for a committed relationship so why would you want to play games in every relationship you enter?
Your therapist does not know a damn thing about the history or patterns of the women you date other than what YOU have told them, and that is your one sided opinion.

The fact is the only thing I garner from your post, is that you spend way too much time discussing past relationships with people instead of focusing on what is good or bad about the relationship YOU are in now. Tell the next lady "I don't want or care to talk about your ex or mine.....ever"
 carolann0308

Do men grieve a seperation ?
Posted: 11/30/2016 7:41:03 AM
It depends on how emotionally invested he was in the marriage at the time of separation. If the last 2.5 years were really terrible and there is a strong chance he already has a GF? I'd say with an exception of worrying about his kids, he is already living like a single man.
My marriage ended after 19 years, and even though it was my Ex that filed for divorce he was all kinds of emotional about it for years. I on the other hand was extremely relieved when it ended. Although I did not date for some time, I considered myself single the day I left the house. I had lost any romantic love I had for the man years before, there were no other people involved in the split.
 carolann0308
Msg: 21 (view)

Disgusting comments. Gotta watch what you say.
Posted: 11/24/2016 1:39:30 PM
Ok. I'll bite. Why don't you own a car at 33 or live in your own place? I know people that prefer to have a roommate to living alone or have medical reasons for not driving, others live in cities and simply do not need a car. Then there are the ones that lost their licence due to bad choices. I'm sure she asked the question but did not like the answer you gave.
For a woman that owns a home, finished college and drives, having BF with a dead end job or still living with mom and dad like he was 20 isn't realistic. I don't see how she heckled you. She was simply pointing out very bluntly what you already know.
 carolann0308
Msg: 9 (view)

when i see a girl who annoys me with her toungue or is ugly that looks like a boy how i not see?
Posted: 11/18/2016 11:17:28 AM
You consider this a relationship issue? Are you secretly longing to hook up with evil tongue girl?
 carolann0308
Msg: 4 (view)

Please help
Posted: 11/15/2016 10:41:18 AM
Only you know for sure why you contacted the other woman on FB and crossed some serious relationship boundaries. Just because you regret the decision and does not mean she has to forgive you. Other women are a dealbreaker.

I think your actions and hers clearly state that the relationship had already run it's course. No happy man is going to risk a relationship with the woman he loves to sext on FB. But a guy that is not all that happy, curious to see what else is out there, then willingly engages in sexting is doing it because it feels good and his relationship is lacking.
Her running back to an Ex is simply that guy being available and not hard to find. I doubt it will last much longer.

Trust is a huge factor in any relationship, and she knows for a fact that she cannot trust you.
 carolann0308
Msg: 101 (view)

Holding Onto Your Virginity an Issue
Posted: 11/14/2016 9:50:52 AM
It's only important to you.
Virginity is no longer a marriage requirement for women, my grandmother told me that when she was young a 23 or 24 year old woman was considered an old maid. Holding onto your virginity was not a huge issue when you were married by 17. That all ended after WWII, more women were heading households and the availability of the birth control pill in the 1960's got rid of most fear of pregnancy.
If this is some tennent of your religion then start going to church more and try to meet other virgins there, if not then it is YOU that must accept other people's disregard for your staunch belief.
 carolann0308

She leaves...
Posted: 11/11/2016 9:35:16 AM
When a person asks you to stop contacting them. That means DO NOT CALL TEXT OR EMAIL
It's quite clear
 carolann0308
Msg: 22 (view)

Good or bad sign that he is planning 5th date before the 4th?
Posted: 11/11/2016 9:32:22 AM
A guy really seems to like you. Only you can control how you react to the attention he's giving you. If you are not that attracted or don't want to see him next week then just say no. My advice is to leave any intimacy out of a relationship until you are ready. But don't fool around and then regret the decision.
 carolann0308
Msg: 26 (view)

Warning to the Ladies
Posted: 11/4/2016 1:07:09 PM
How did he con you?
Your profile claims you are a dominant female not looking for anything serious. So how did some smooth talker pretending to be looking for marriage suck in an Alpha like you? Could it be he was as full of sh1t as you are????
 carolann0308
Msg: 9 (view)

Is no sex after 3 dates a deal breaker?
Posted: 11/3/2016 10:15:28 AM
He was a drunken ***hole and you should be glad to be rid of him. No means no.

But you are admittedly not ready to date date and still pining away for a relationship that's been over for a year. Get some help. And fix your damn profile because it claims you are looking for someone to be with and fully healed!!!!!
My advice is to stay single and not feel pressured to go out just because your friends think you should. After a month of texting, three dates, flirting, kissing and then going to his apartment rather than asking the Uber driver to drop you off? I can understand a man thinking you are into him.
 carolann0308
Msg: 3 (view)

Approach anxiety.
Posted: 11/2/2016 8:35:30 AM
Start with group activities and mix with members of both sexes hiking, trivia etc. Ask every friend, relative etc if they know any nice single women, see if they will facilitate a meet so you don't have to build up all this unnecessary anxiety.

Women are human beings like you, they have exactly the same fears, flaws and lack of confidence that you do. What do you possibly believe is the WORST thing that can happen if a woman says 'no thank you' to an invitation? You go with a male friend, you go alone or you stay home. Not such a big deal.
 carolann0308

Can a Guy On Welfare Get Laid?
Posted: 11/1/2016 10:02:05 AM
It's not your profession
It's not your money situation
It's not your motorbike
It's not even your aspergers

It's you and your really gross messed up view of women and the world
 carolann0308
Msg: 132 (view)

Is Self-Employment A Turn-off?
Posted: 10/28/2016 8:40:11 AM
Change your profile to read that you own a 'small internet based business company'. No more information needed.
Makes you sound like a mysterious dot Com millionaire
 carolann0308
Msg: 54 (view)

Is Self-Employment A Turn-off?
Posted: 10/25/2016 7:45:41 AM
If you have an LLC, health insurance, live on your own, pay taxes and have savings I don't see how on earth someone can criticize your employment choices.
I guess fear of the unknown is what makes most people hesitate. What if he can't sell something? Does his house look like a flea market? Does he run it like a real business with balance sheets and inventory reports, or does he just buy piles of crap and hope he can unload it???? Will he expect me to crawl through other people's refuse looking for discarded Ming Vases? How will our future children survive? Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

It does seems an odd way to make a living for those that are trapped in a cube farm or work 8-5. I have a friend that earns 2-300 a week just reselling things she buys at garage sales, and she does it as a 2nd income. I have no doubt a savvy person that does it full time can earn a living.

Show ALL Forums