Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.
 jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 16 (view)

Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.
Posted: 10/13/2012 5:14:44 PM
I agree completely with Walley, I just wish I could find someone to be alone with me.  Looks like I will have to be gay though because the few people who are interested in philosophy and aren’t completely full of shit are dudes… I hate thinking about how my thoughts are only the result of an extremely complex interaction of atoms and subatomic particles. Completely determined by physics (not the human understanding but the actual rules whatever they may be)
 jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 18 (view)

Determinism?
Posted: 9/9/2012 2:30:26 AM
You are thinking of it all wrong Drink, or at least at the wrong level. You're thinking of it from the perspective of a consciousness and the affect that outside stimulus has on it. Or you may see it at the level of neurons and Stimulus they receive. Things like neurons, nerves, and even consciousness itself are concepts. All “living” things are simply atoms that formed in an arrangement that had attributes that prevented it from being destroyed. When dealing with determinism you need to keep in mind that all those things are made of atoms that follow rules. So you should look at humans as a large chemical reaction. If someone tries to give you the old “atoms do what they want bit” there is a different yet similar problem. If your actions are based off of the atoms you are made of, whatever their arrangement, and they are doing random things all the time you still have no choice as to what you are doing.

Personally I believe in an ordered universe. I don’t understand how people think that every bit of the universe can do anything at any time. I would think that would be very unstable. If that were true you could blink and everything could be different, completely unrecognizable. Or your atoms may have taken a path where their arrangement is no longer a living thing

Take a quick look at the "determinism dilemma"
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 9/9/2012 1:18:47 AM
Hay Drink, I was just on your thread. Good stuff, other than the few dumb dumbs at the start.
 jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 80 (view)

Speculating on the edge of Cosmology/Quantum Theory
Posted: 9/8/2012 8:30:46 PM
Statement: Particles only exist while under observation
What is the significance of this concept? If they exist in two different states but fallow rules in both of these states that run the same path, i.e. you look in a box and there is a flower then you close it and look again and it’s still a flower, what is there to gain from perceiving the same reality twice? What insight will we gain from gaining information on atoms in wave form?
 Jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 9/8/2012 6:23:41 PM
I didn't think determinism could be labeled an interest. lol
 Jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 16 (view)

Determinism? I 'have to' say yes.
Posted: 9/8/2012 6:20:43 PM
I also agree with ws-soon. Sorry I missed your post, the way down was making me sick.
 jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 15 (view)

Determinism? I 'have to' say yes.
Posted: 9/8/2012 6:12:33 PM
Most of the posts here make me terrified that I might forget what I know and be as naive as most of the people who posted, save the first one. The first thing to address is the idea that, if we were some form of energy that would allow us to make choices. Your very ability to make your post is proof that energy is fallowing a set of rules. Try to imagine a world in which the electricity in your computer did what it wanted. The second thing to address is the idea that if you DID make a choice at some point all the products of that choice would have been chosen and therefore you have free will. That argument falls in with the god argument. If you can’t prove that something is either true or not true then it is arbitrary and thus useless to a logical and rational “mind”. The last topic to address is the obsession with DNA. All matter, regardless of it level of complexity is governed. The atoms that make up your DNA and the structures that are created as a result of said DNA are governed by the same rules. The same rules that govern the atoms of a rock or radiation from the sun.
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 9/8/2012 5:33:29 PM
Why, if this sites primary purpose is dating, would you make a rule that prevents you form using the tools provided for that purpose? You must have a great deal of free time in order to search forms for violations. It’s true that I made the post for my own selfish purpose but I can see its potential benefits to a great many users.
 jonathan.hillebrand
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 9/8/2012 12:16:43 AM
There really is no way to look for matches based on intelligence and interest in philosophy on this site. I hope people will use this forum to find others that are interested in conversation and inquiry. Primarily concerning philosophy/determinism.

Show ALL Forums