Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Political mud-slinging
 faybells
Msg: 7 (view)

Political mud-slinging
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:15:41 AM
Guess I will be going back to where it all began and forget about the parties. Ask any of them and their 1st alliance is to the party???? Thought it was all about the people! Luckily we have at least two independents running in our seat and have heard the policies of at least one, so they will do for me. As we have seen in the last Federal election the independents do have power, just hope they use it wisely. Wishful thinking?
 faybells
Msg: 5 (view)

thinking of going to australia for the winter...need advice
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:29:57 AM
If you are going to be here for your winter/Oz summer, you might find it a bit warm north of the Tropic of Capricorn. It will be at least 30c and quite humid on the coast, east, north or west. Plenty of places inland, just find a bigger river or dam and the heat is dry so not so hot. NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, or Southern Western Aust might suit better if too hot is a prob. Heaps of off-roading in the country.
 faybells
Msg: 51 (view)

Favorite Beaches in Queensland
Posted: 3/19/2011 5:12:42 AM
Can give Caloundra the thumbs up. From****s' Beach, Kings Beach, round the point down Golden Beach . All along the boardwalk, gazing out or across to Bribie, it's great.
 faybells
Msg: 6 (view)

New single travelor, which is the best single travel company?
Posted: 5/1/2010 3:21:32 AM
I have travelled with Intrepid and Toucan. They both offer small group travelling of differing expertese. Intrepid would be my choice but both are good. No single sup and the groups consist of singles, couples and smaller groups within the group.
 faybells
Msg: 11 (view)

Idea's for summer holiday???
Posted: 5/1/2010 3:04:09 AM
Loved Prague, fantastic city. In August there is a festival at Budapest on an Island in the Danube. Very, very good. Really cheap living, stay in the hostels when you need a clean up. 10 Beds is in Pest between the main station and the river I can recommend. Metalica playing some time in the summer I think. Central to the Eastern block countries which are all pretty good value for money.
 faybells
Msg: 51 (view)

Caves/Caverns
Posted: 5/1/2010 2:32:34 AM
Been to a few caves in Australia: Jenolan, Rockhampton Lava tubes (don't recall there name) and holes in Sth Aust, all pretty cool. New Zealand: Waitomo are amazing also on Arthurs Pass in the Sth Island. England; Cheddar Gorge is easy but cool. Hungary: Agtelect are amazing and in Austria, Werfen are incredible. Heaps more too many to mention. Getting a bit beyond me now, can only do the tame ones, lol.
 faybells
Msg: 17 (view)

Alaska
Posted: 4/30/2010 5:00:56 AM
I am planing on a trip to Canada & Alaska maybe next year. Are roads open in the winter? Is it possible to get around? Is there a best time to see the northern lights? What would the temps range be in the summer and winter? Is there still snow around in the summer? Heard of the NW passage, is that the inner passage? Any other points of interst? Any info gratefully received.
 faybells
Msg: 63 (view)

Most Overrated Destinations
Posted: 4/30/2010 4:45:40 AM
I guess you can listen to all the recommendations but when it all boils down to it, everyone will see things in their own way. It is up to ourselves to do the research then travel with an open mind. Tourism is a big industry so if visiting well documented sites then it can be a bit cheesy. If you go off the beaten track then there is no buffer zone. I have experienced both and learnt to take the good with the bad. Happy travels
 faybells
Msg: 44 (view)

Four dead after cop chase ends in crash
Posted: 4/1/2010 4:45:01 AM
More appropriately stated I think "Four dead after serial thief crashes stolen car". What the solution is I have no idea.
 faybells
Msg: 8 (view)

The Best beaches
Posted: 4/1/2010 4:37:14 AM
Gotta go with Bryon, actually just south, Broken Head absolute heaven. Then again up near Broome on the north west coast is pretty spectacular as well. NZ 90 mile beach north of Auckland is good but not for surf. South African beaches are pretty good as a rule. American beaches, sorry, used and abused. European beaches, gravel and stone. They dont know what beaches are! Uk, mud, yuk. Just generalizations mind.
 faybells
Msg: 16 (view)

Best places to visit in uk fun & historic
Posted: 4/1/2010 4:26:16 AM
Bath has to be on the list, Roman Baths, Royal Circus, not far to Cardiff Castle, Seven Channel, Stonehenge, Cheddar Gorge, Glastonbury, Westbury White Horse, Longleat, and the "top" side of Cornwall for some good beaches.
 faybells
Msg: 13 (view)

How evil are Banksters? What should we demand of them?
Posted: 5/23/2009 4:39:40 AM
I reckon banks are greed incarnate. Being an old-fashioned face to face person I do not like this electronic style of banking. Living in the country, they have shut down most of the banks in the small towns and you need to go to the regional centre (if they still have your bank operating there), to do business. We don't have the choice of using their atm's as there is only 2 in town. So I guess my main gripe is lack of choice.
When you ring them to complain about the latest problem, after being sent all over the country to different call centres you finally get a person that sounds just like a machine anyway. Aaaaarrrrhhhhh!!!!!
 faybells
Msg: 44 (view)

The parts of Australia that must be seen.
Posted: 9/17/2008 5:43:40 AM
If you would like a bit of change from the coast, head for the Great Dividing Range region. My local area is the Sth. Burnett 2hrs north of Brisbane. Wineries, farm-stay, quaint B & Bs', also I know that bikes come up from Brisbane for the weekend run. Samford, Mt. Mee, D'Agular, Kilcoy, Yarraman, Maidenwell, (can camp at the back of the pub), Bunya Mtns, then loop back to Brisbane via Dalby, Toowoomba/Kingaroy, Goomeri, Kenilworth, Malaney/Cooyar, Crows Nest, Somerset Dam, lots of different ways and quite diverse country and good bike roads. Anywhere along the east coast in the ranges usually has its own local interests. Have a great tour.
 faybells
Msg: 108 (view)

Do you remember....
Posted: 8/15/2008 3:52:35 AM
You had a record? We stood on parade and "sang" the anthem with no music to help! And yes we just had a hand held bell as well.
 faybells
Msg: 11 (view)

how do you not fit in the box
Posted: 6/7/2008 12:27:58 AM
I would hate to think that I was confined to being put in a box. How could we grow our wings to explore? I have seen and experienced so many things by being (i guess) unconventional that it would be a shame to live this life and not do so to the best of my ability. Life is to be lived and experienced.
 faybells
Msg: 4 (view)

Australian Folklore and Australian Legends
Posted: 6/4/2008 6:01:31 AM
Don't forget the min min lights that chase you all over the outback. Also I have heard stories from a number of areas about an animal like a black panther.
 faybells
Msg: 122 (view)

What was your favorite television show as a child
Posted: 5/9/2008 4:52:38 AM
Deprived childhood being raised in central Qld, lol, no signal out there at that time. Used to spend christmas on the coast tho and loved anthing with animals. Fury, My Friend Flicka, Lassie, were favorites.
 faybells
Msg: 4 (view)

Hush up my hippy mouth, but anyone grow fruit trees here ?
Posted: 4/22/2008 3:45:27 AM
All great intentions when I moved here. Put in a vege garden & fruit trees. Then I find out a couple of years after eating my own healthy produce that previously there was a pulp mill on my place with an arsenic dip somewhere in close proximity. Not too sure how far arsenic leaches, consequently the vege garden went. Still have the trees. Oranges, Manderines, Lemons, Lemonade, Peach, Pineapple Guava, Apricot, Nectrine, Plumcot, Satsuma & Wilson Plums, Apples, Macadamia Nut, Lillipillis. Don't think I have forgotten any. Have tried others but not successful, shame about the mangoes Fruit is fantactic flavour, just got to watch out for grubs as my home remedy fruit fly baits don't work the best.
 faybells
Msg: 6 (view)

Have you ever been sky diving?
Posted: 4/14/2008 5:08:40 AM
Yes, I have been. Procrastinated for years then one weekend out of the blue a group was going and I joined them. It was fantastic. Don't be put off by the roar of the jumpers who take the flight before you. It is quite cold when you reach altidtude. It is very scary with your legs out the side of the plane, but hopefully your tandem person will be like mine and not give you much time to think about that! Think banana, is what I was told. The free fall is fantastic. Yes make sure your harness is snugg, the jolt when the chute opens can be a little uncomfortable. Then the floating down is incredible!!!. Had no trouble at all with landing. I would love to go again.
 faybells
Msg: 67 (view)

Do we abuse the Earth
Posted: 3/15/2008 8:08:59 PM
Your either part of the problem or part of the solution. Unfortunately I think human nature is the problem, even when modified to try to live with nature. All things in nature create their own sets of problems by being here. Humans do it much more excessively. A bit of lateral thinking with the worst "footprints" is probably the best one person can do.
 faybells
Msg: 80 (view)

What was the first car you ever owned.
Posted: 3/15/2008 7:12:40 PM
Mine was a Hillman Imp. Had it for about a year, then it was written off when pushed into a shop sideways. Bought another body, transferred the engine with my dad and was off and running again. The memories created from having that car *sigh*. Finally sold it when the o/s travel bug bit.

Show ALL Forums