Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Over 50-Where do you go when you are lonely?
 Luvadks
Msg: 179 (view)

Over 50-Where do you go when you are lonely?
Posted: 2/21/2014 6:29:58 PM
There are so many places to go if you are lonely. The local animal shelter is a good start. Another place to visit is a book store. Churches may offer some appeal. Lowes and Walmart offer mingling opportunities, and of course there's always the local gym or diner. (I would avoid the chinese food place next to the animal shelter)
 Luvadks
Msg: 89 (view)

Has your type evolved over time?
Posted: 2/21/2014 6:18:28 PM
I must say that my type certainly has evolved over time. When I was in my teens, 20's and 30's, I preferred 5'6" free-thinking brunettes in the 120-130 lb range. I now prefer 2'6" 45 lb goldens who like to go for walks and play catch. Very similar to the preferences I had when I was in middle school.
 luvadks
Msg: 1071 (view)

Have all the really older guys given up?
Posted: 11/10/2013 9:26:38 PM
The remarriage rate for men over 50 is pretty low.
 luvadks
Msg: 111 (view)

Over 50...Are We Now Invisible?
Posted: 11/10/2013 8:17:39 PM

it would appear men 50-60 don't attend these kind of things

Regarding men over 50: most men in their 50's are the senior employees in their respective fields. Meaning: they probably work a lot of hours and their careers are one of the primary focal points in their lives.
 luvadks
Msg: 43 (view)

Long Term Relationship - What Time Length Defines It?
Posted: 11/10/2013 8:06:00 PM
My opinion - 5 years (or more) is a long-term relationship. But there are of course situations in which a couple marries and then is unexpectedly widowed in the first couple of years of marriage. I can't argue that a couple that intended to spend "forever" together (but had it cut short by death) wasn't a long-term relationship.
 Luvadks
Msg: 27 (view)

Do married people flirt with you more than single?
Posted: 5/12/2013 7:14:14 PM
I don't think I've been on the receiving end of a "flirt" in at least 5 years. Wow that's pathetic! LoL
 luvadks
Msg: 171 (view)

First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:50:00 PM
I have been a forum freak on and off here since 2005. My profile pic probably needs updating now (from last summer).
What gets me is there are people on here who have THE SAME PROFILE PIC THAT THEY HAD IN 2005! (And who knows how old it was when they posted it!)
 luvadks
Msg: 61 (view)

Relocating For The Over 45 Crowd.....
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:36:47 PM

Would you move and relocate for love and the real deal ?
I now at older ages it can be more difficult cause of being
so fixed in our lives with family, homes, jobs, and the like.
On the other hand, some of us who have retired early in
life and have no ties to their home or family can easily pick
up & go. Seem to be the problem in long distance relationships

Nope.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 39 (view)

Relocating For The Over 45 Crowd.....
Posted: 4/13/2013 6:25:19 PM
Would not relocate. I'm enjoying my life to much already, why potentially screw it up for a relationship?
 LuvADKs
Msg: 31 (view)

Arm candy
Posted: 4/7/2013 6:43:20 PM
I don't mind being arm candy, as long as you're buying dinner..
(Oops - was that just one of my multiple personalities making an appearance? How embarrassing!)
 LuvADKs
Msg: 59 (view)

Why do hot women date ugly men and visa versa?
Posted: 4/3/2013 8:59:13 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again: women spend much more time and effort on their appearance than men.

Take away the make-up, styled hair, jewelry, fake tans and fancy clothes - most "Hot women" end up looking pretty average. If you don't believe me, do a google image search on celebrities without makeup. It's all in how one presents his or her self..
 LuvADKs
Msg: 64 (view)

Job Downsizing
Posted: 3/21/2013 6:03:56 PM

...Which brings us to the subject of corporate greed. Probably a thread around here somewhere on it.

Don't want to take this thread off-topic, BUT - the CEO of my company announced his retirement last week. Retirement includes a lump sum payment of $63 million (yes MILLION) dollars. Personally, I would be ashamed to take that kind of money, especially when 4 1/2 years ago, the company stock took an 85% nose-dive. It has not recovered yet.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 1418 (view)

full-time single dads
Posted: 3/20/2013 3:36:17 PM
Can't remember if I posted to this thread before. Been a single dad since '99. My 4 kids ranged in age from 12 down to 6. They are all adults now but the 2 youngest live at home; they are going to college/trade school.

My view on single dads - if you are the custodial parent of young kids, most women will not touch you with a ten-foot pole. Being extremely good-looking or wealthy will swing the odds in your favor however. (or so I'm told; I have no first-hand experience LOL)
 LuvADKs
Msg: 376 (view)

Are men over 40 more afraid to approach women?
Posted: 3/13/2013 10:46:19 PM
Afraid of getting maced? Anyone? Anyone?? Bueller??
 LuvADKs
Msg: 11 (view)

Job Downsizing
Posted: 3/13/2013 6:23:06 PM
Hi Moon

Good topic. I'm currently working 55 - 60 hours a week (salaried). Used to work about 45 a week prior to 6 years ago. Starting to wonder if it's worth it. To add my re-evaluation, we just lost a dear uncle very unexpectedly and the family is still in shock over it. Makes you wonder: how important is it really to have a comfortable lifestyle and fat nest-egg, if you don't have time to spend with loved-ones? I know there's a balance, but i'm thinking that after my two youngest kids are out of the house, I could live very comfortably in a place half the size of my current house, and drive a sport-compact car instead of a larger vehicle. I rarely hear people regretting living a more austere lifestyle vs overextending themselves to lead a posh existance.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 41 (view)

Why do men want to sit at home instead of going on dates?
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:20:16 PM
It could be because Western NY is like Siberia this time of year, and they don't want to go out and freeze an appendage off..
 LuvADKs
Msg: 1760 (view)

People who just write how are you
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:45:34 AM

Does anyone else find it kind of annoying to receive an email and all it says is "how are you?" and nothing else? I don't know, it just seems to me that, if you're going to send an email, at least write more than one phrase. I don't know, what do you think? Guys, if you've done this, I'd suggest you stop, it's pretty annoying.

I can see something a little more sustantial than "How are you", but considering how many emails are "Unread/Deleted", I wouldn't put much more effort into a first email.
 LuvADKs

To accept children, or not to accept children? That is the question.
Posted: 3/2/2013 1:05:27 PM

I am a 40 year old woman who doesn't have children and has no desire to have children in any part of my life. I tend to get date offers from men who have children under the age of 18. When asked about baby mama drama associated with these children, most men will give me some kind of vague answer. Therefore I tend to avoid these men. I do feel like sometimes that I am possibly passing up "mr. Right". By being so selective and I feel guilty about it. I just don't want the drama or to be someone's new mamma, and I enjoy everything being about me. Should I be feeling guilty about being so selective? And has anyone had any issues with dating someone with kids, and baby mamma/daddy drama?

If you know what you want, don't feel guilty about being so selective. If you feel your choices are limited, you may want to consider dating men a few years older than you, as their children are likely to be older and on their own. There aren't going to be a lot of 40ish men that don't already have kids. Just sayin'
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 106 (view)

Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???
Posted: 2/16/2013 7:12:53 AM

In a world that sees so much Infidelity and Indecisiveness , is it possible to find a soulmate? It seems like its so hard nowadays to find a mate let alone a spouse that will love you unconditionally till the end....

I was wondering if other people worry about growing old alone. Ive seen so many people that are widowed, left for another after 10,20, 30 years- I know I cant be alone when I worry about this question.

Any thoughts because I would love to hear other peoples prespectives......

I have kids, pets, friends and a social life - not too worried about being "alone"
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 8 (view)

Early retirement??
Posted: 2/9/2013 8:35:50 AM

The person could also be retired from the military. After 20 or so years, they live the life of a civilian and get a pension.

Very true. There are numerous government and vital-service jobs that offer retirement after 20 or 25 years. In addition to the military, law enforcement is another example.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 28 (view)

If you could have your past relationship again but knew the outcome would be the same - would you?
Posted: 2/7/2013 4:36:53 PM
Yeah, I'd do it again. First 12 years were great; next 3 progressively degraded and the last year and a half of limbo/separation was hell. BUT - we had wonderful 4 kids and a lot of good memories. There was no hint ten years into our relationship that it would end the way it did.

It's been over 12 years since our divorce, and I almost never have dreams about my ex, but night before last I dreamed we were still together. Both of us were in our 20's. I'd forgotten how beautiful she was..
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 172 (view)

Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/3/2013 2:41:58 PM
I think a cruise is a great way to travel alone. There is plenty to see and do, and you have the safety of a group if you want to go on excursions while in port. I've been very happy with Royal Carribean.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 17 (view)

Probowl before the Superbowl
Posted: 2/3/2013 2:39:22 PM
Really thought the move to put the Probowl before the SB was a lame move. Any eligible players in the SB won't participate in the PB because of the scheduling conflict. I say move it back to how it was prior to 2010; Pro-bowl after the Superbowl.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 15 (view)

Get Over It -- how long does it take?
Posted: 2/2/2013 8:22:40 PM
After a relationship/marriage that lasted over 15 years, it took me about 5 years before I felt ready to get serious again. I have not been in any LTRs since. I don't see that changing anytime soon and I've been divorced over 12 years now.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 38 (view)

Im 47 She is 56
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:41:46 PM

Im 47 She is 56

Not a big deal at your age.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 68 (view)

How to Celebrate the Holidays when in a new relationship
Posted: 1/6/2013 4:18:11 PM
^^^^ Agree ^^^^

Typically I'm not looking to start a relationship or date anyone new once it gets to be mid-November. I can't speak for anyone else, but between end-of-year activities at work (AKA 50+ hour work-weeks), family commitments, and getting ready for Christmas, there is precious little "free" time.
 sunnynydays
Msg: 32 (view)

Youngest/oldest person you would date?
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:48:44 PM
I'm approaching my mid fifties, and my criteria is +5 / - 10. That being said, I prefer those closer to my own age. Oldest I've dated so far is 3 years older than me, and youngest was 8 years younger than me..
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 36 (view)

Can you die from a broken heart?
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:40:33 PM

Can you die from a broken heart?

I think it's possible. There are many reported instances of spouses dying days or hours apart.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 221 (view)

Do successful men want higher maintenance women?
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:25:45 PM
^^^ Good for you! Ever been to a TED conference? ^^^
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 236 (view)

Are we getting harder as we get older?
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:21:43 PM

Are we getting harder to please and easier to reject others as we get older? Have we missed the boat with the spring of love with love conquering all? We are all (or should be) self-sufficient now ad don't actually need a partner for financial co-habitation. We are now past it as regards having babies. Is it now too easy for us to reject partners that would have been acceptable years ago?

Lots of questions here:

Are we getting harder to please and easier to reject others as we get older? Yes, I think so. Behaviours that we may have tolerated in our youth are now not acceptable.

We are now past it as regards having babies. Is it now too easy for us to reject partners that would have been acceptable years ago? I think the fact that hormones are no longer making decisions leads to more a more rational approach to who we will date and why.
 Sunnynydays
Msg: 63 (view)

What is an acceptable amount of time to wait for sex?
Posted: 12/26/2012 6:54:58 AM
Well, you could always wait until your honeymoon. If that seems too long, work backwards from there. Personally, I think sex is way overrated when compared to other key relationship attributes such as attraction, chemistry and compatibility. Because if you don't have those, sex is eventually going to go "bye bye", (if it even happens at all).

If that doesn't seem reasonable to you, then you are really just looking for a sex partner (which is allegedly the only thing guys are interested in anyway). So the choice is up to you..
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 191 (view)

Trying to get men off the couch.
Posted: 12/24/2012 4:49:12 PM

How do we get couch potatoes off the couch?

There are several effective methods to deal with this condition:

An ice-cold pan of water to the torso works every time, but it's messy and may ultimately not have the desired result.

Turn the TV to Lifetime network, then hide the remote. At a minimum, the object of your affection should at least get up and change the channel back to ESPN..

Use the "I'll buy if you fly" strategy. Unless he's extremely lazy, he should be willing to run to the pizza shop to pick up dinner (but then he will promptly resume his former position on the couch)

Try streaking through the living room?

Scream "The toilet is overflowing!!!". Make sure to spill a little water on the floor for an added effect.

Claiming to see a flying saucer, fairy, Santa Claus, or other mythical creature may also get the dormant volcano to rumble to life. But he could erupt..

Do yourself a favor: buy a dog..
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 210 (view)

Posted: 12/24/2012 4:36:16 PM

Our arteries are getting harder..
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 58 (view)

How to Celebrate the Holidays when in a new relationship
Posted: 12/24/2012 4:34:23 PM

I avoid starting new relationships in November or December. The holidays put too much pressure on newbies .

Same here. Too much going on this time of year to add a relationship into the mix.
 sunnynydays
Msg: 150 (view)

Would you date someone that is taking care of a elder parent?
Posted: 12/15/2012 3:25:00 PM

Would you date someone that is taking care of a elder parent?

Charity begins at home.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 156 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2012 11:12:16 AM

Wow, after 6 years on here Gwendolyn has left.

I won't miss her condescending brand of elitism. She took "op-ed" to a whole new level..

Am I getting harder in my older age?
Yep.
Just don't give a shit anymore.
Too many other things for me to do and have fun with other than sifting through sex focused old men.

I hear ya, Drumming..
After a few years I realized P.O.F. really stood for "Plenty of Fakes". I keep an active profile on here mostly for the forums and amusement; really haven't pursued anyone on POF in a long time.
 sunnynydays
Msg: 911 (view)

Posted: 12/7/2012 1:16:11 PM
^^^^ Sounds like a "win-win" situation for older women. Pudgy neurotic old guys leave you alone, and buff virile young guys want your company. What's not to love?
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 248 (view)

Online dating working for you?
Posted: 10/19/2012 2:23:08 PM
^^^^ LoL i hear ya!
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 243 (view)

Online dating working for you?
Posted: 10/18/2012 7:59:22 PM

So how is it working out for you? I tried a while back and met several guys after chatting with them and they never came close to looking like their pictures! One guy was even handicapped and never told me until we met up. So I gave up for a long time with the online thing. Now I am back and hoping it is different........is it?

Using this more for entertainment than anything. Online is a pain..
 Sunnynydays

Lying about relationship status on POF
Posted: 10/16/2012 4:29:15 PM
There are plenty of people on dating sites who claim to be single, but they are actually married or otherwise attached to a S/O. Here is a link to a recent article that tells the story of such a case. The guy thought he was dating a divorcee, but the woman was actually still married. The estranged husband is alleged to have killed the wife's lover.
Advice to all: when it comes to online "buyer beware".

www.nydailynews.com/news/national/husband-drives-350-miles-shoot-wife-lover-article-1.1172108
 Sunnynydays
Msg: 41 (view)

Dating in 40s & 50s compared to 20s/30s
Posted: 10/15/2012 4:41:37 PM
Well then, Ms. Blonde, good luck with being the object of someone else's search.
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 39 (view)

Posted: 10/15/2012 3:15:00 PM
@ Giggles & Blonde - without boring you with my post-divorce life story, there are many reasons why I'm apathetic about dating. (If you ARE bored, you could read my posting history for some insight)

I really don't think my presence here dilutes the dating pool; I've gotten 2 whole emails in the past 4 months. One from someone I already know, and the other from someone who lives several hours away. When I was actively trying to date here, the majority of first-contact emails received no reply. Out of the remainder, women would frequently "disappear", AKA - Profile deleted. Some would engage in email exchenges - until a meeting was suggested - then all I could hear was the sound of crickets. Makes you wonder if it was all just a game to them. I'm sure many guys (and gals) have had similar experiences on here. But I keep an active profile just in case something happens.

Now back to the Yankees.. Good luck with your search
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 6 (view)

30s - youth and prime ?
Posted: 10/15/2012 1:50:12 AM
Stan, I do believe that one's 30s are the prime of life. Most people have their education and a career by then. Assuming they have taken care of themselves, the signs of aging haven't appeared yet (for guys, maybe the hairline is receding). You're old enough to have some wisdom but young enough to still participate in most sports.

As for what does society expect from you? Who cares! Live your life and make the best of it!
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 10/14/2012 7:07:43 PM
I would say I'm 10 times more picky than I was in my 20s, and about 10 times less needy. So if I stumble across this thread a year from now, I suspect I will have a thought similar to this:

"Well, it's been another year, and I'm still single. Yawn. I wonder how the Yankees will do in the playoffs this year?"
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 51 (view)

Great Guitar Players You May Never Heard Of...
Posted: 10/7/2012 6:59:37 PM
Barry Bailey
Danny DeGennaro
Robben Ford
 SunnyNYdays
Msg: 11 (view)

Older? Younger? Same Age??
Posted: 10/7/2012 6:51:34 PM
I prefer those close in age to myself. (Oldest I've dated was 3 yrs older, and youngest was 8 yrs younger).
 sunnynydays
Msg: 859 (view)

Posted: 10/5/2012 7:23:49 AM

Speaking for myself, I have to admit that I'm all done. I'm happy to be by myself and out of the emotionally, psychologically, and financially draining relationships that are the norm in modern days. I surround myself with terrific friends, family, and pets. That's all I need.

Sad to say, I hear similar opinions from several of my male friends and coworkers who divorced in their 40s/50s. Having busy lives, careers, older kids, hobbies, etc; they don't want to deal with relationship drama when everything else is "pretty good".
 sunnynydays
Msg: 17 (view)

Student at 50+
Posted: 9/25/2012 5:54:42 PM
On the contrary, I am more concerned with 50-somethings who list "some college" for their education. Makes me wonder if they can't finish something they started. Kudos to you for getting more education!
 sunnynydays
Msg: 23 (view)

Late 30's dating when you are divorced no kids
Posted: 8/18/2012 12:40:28 PM

What about the men who aren't players or workaholics? You seem to have categorized me into one of those two, yet I am certainly not a player and lol not a workaholic ;)

If you are not a player or a workaholic, then you are obviously an unambitious "nice guy". Bahahahaaa :D

Sorry - I couldn't resist!
 Sunnynydays
Msg: 61 (view)

Where have the older men gone?
Posted: 8/8/2012 6:03:30 PM
Where have all the older men gone? You're probably not going to like the answer, but it's true: they're dead. Average life expectancy for males in U.S. is right around 76.

Finding a male companion near your age will be a challenge.

Show ALL Forums