Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Why is there such a hype about protein?
 kohmelo
Msg: 22 (view)

Why is there such a hype about protein?
Posted: 6/23/2013 3:20:05 PM

.your standard bodybuilder/weightlifter/athlete needs about 3g/kg of protein a day....so your average bodybuilder male will need about 250g of protein per day. Assuming this guy is eating at least 3 times a day, he's going to meet if not exceed that limit all on his own without any supplementation.

A few things wrong here.
1) 1g/lb is enough, even high. I weigh 170# so 170g is what I need.
2) 250 g of protein is not a normal 3 day meal. It's 22 eggs or 780g of chicken breast or 1300g of turkey breast or 9 1/2 cans of tuna or 275g of a decent whey protein. Is this what you eat in a day?
3) 3 meals? Who lifts and only eats 3 meals a day? Unfortunately it's someone who's been miss-guided. On to the "why protein"...
Your body uses protein for normal functions on a continual basis. Building muscles is not your bodies' priority. If you do not have the protein you need at the time you need it, your body will cannibalize you muscles. The most unfortunate part is that your body does not store protein, at least not as protein. It will convert unused protein into glycogen and store it as fat but that is a one-way deal. If you don;t have the protein you need in your blood and at the point you need it when you need it, your muscles are not going to grow. As a kicker, it should be noted that after an intense workout, it can take up to a week for your muscles to repair themselves so you need to keep your protein levels up at all times. This is why bodybuilders eat more smaller meals in a day.

If you are not building muscle, you still need to ingest enough protein for your body's function, else your body will take it from your muscles. If you're maintaining a caloric balance, any lb of muscle lost is an lb of fat gained. When losing weight, it's especially difficult to maintain sufficient protein levels to maintain muscle mass. In the event that you do lose muscle, that's weight you're losing that isn't fat... and that only makes it harder.
 kohmelo
Msg: 79 (view)

Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 6/13/2013 4:23:45 PM

I am not a cigarette smoker, therefore I can walk into a building, or someones house, etc, & detect the smell of cigarette smoke the same way an anti smoking crusader does. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ITS 2ND HAND SMOKE....But to a crusader, it is. I can also walk into a non-smoker's home and detect if they fried fish in the past week. I am breathing 2nd hand fish obviously.

The smell of fish isn't toxic. I work with all kinds of chemicals and you don't actually have to be able to smell them for them to be doing you harm. We have meters around our facility to detect leakage. I don't know where you get the idea that cigarette smoke has to be visible to be causing harm but I'm fairly sure you just made it up.

created by a brainwashing agenda..

You say you don't smoke. I would guess you have no idea how harmful smoke is. I have 20 years experience with first hand smoke so I'd love to hear who is running this brainwashing agenda and what their motives are. I need a laugh for today.

Here is a study, sitting can be more harmful than smoking,lol...

That's not a study, it's an article. It does not say sitting is more harmful than smoking, it says living a sedentary lifestyle is more harmful than smoking. Reading with comprehension.
Let's apply the logic
Laying on the street in traffic is more dangerous than sitting. Now sitting is ok.
Jumping off a cliff onto jagged rocks is more dangerous than laying on the street in traffic. Now laying on the street in traffic is ok.
Committing suicide is more dangerous than jumping off a cliff onto jagged rocks. Now jumping off a cliff onto jagged rocks is ok.
Good thinking.
 kohmelo
Msg: 54 (view)

Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 5/30/2013 4:23:32 AM

That warning is only there for liability purposes,

Red flags should be going up right there.

2nd, You did not hear any arguments I have given about the positive health effects of smoking, when you where 14, as most of the studies where done after that,LMAO, so basically maybe try and tell the truth to others, if at not at least yourself, you seem very delusional…

The list may have been different, but it was there. The tabacco companies fund researchers to rehache these old ideas to make them look like new ideas. The minute WHO or the AMA starting crediting them then I'll have another look. You are very naive.

(I never said smoking has in general healthy or there are not negative effects)

Again #1 killer in the western world. When you go looking for the benefits, it's only to console yourself for your foolinshness of smoking. If you really believed in those benefits you'd be trying to convince others to smoke. Basically, not needing knee surgery is a consolation prize for paying thousands of dollars for the right to kill yourself slowly.
Genius.

First, I have no idea why am responding to your horrid rebuttals, but this will be the last one,lol.

I would welcome that.
 kohmelo
Msg: 52 (view)

Posted: 5/29/2013 6:38:05 PM

I suspect the health benefit of smoking posts in this thread were done so to get a reaction and it worked. Be sure to also enlighten your son about the risks of drinking, or smoking pot or crack. I suspect your son is probably a lot more hip and in tune to what's what than you.

I teach him all that stuff and he should know more than me. But I was also 14 once and I remember all too well...

Until I read this thread I had never seen or heard of anything positive in regards to smoking.

Tobacco companies have been putting out that crap for years. I think grade 10 or 11 sociology, one of the students did a presentation on smoking. His father worked for Imperial Tobacco. I think that was just before they pulled out of Guelph.
You are correct in what you are saying, I made a decision, repeatedly. I acknowledged that when I made the decision to quit and corrected it (excluding damage done) when I quit. Regardless of why this information was posted, it was still a factor in my poor decision making and clearly in that of others. The more BS like that is spread uncontested, the more likely our youth will make excuses.

Here's why it's important.

Despite tremendous reductions in tobacco use, it still remains the number one preventable cause of death in the United States.

Excerpt from:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/public-health/promoting-healthy-lifestyles/smoking-tobacco-control.page

With regards to Post 51, no sources were cited. I challenge the poster to give some sort of credible health organization who accepts the information. The AMA, Heart and Stroke Foundation, WHO, CIOMS or other- pick one.
Even the aforementioned tobacco company has this to say on their website:

The only way to avoid the health risks associated with tobacco products is not to use them at all. The best way for a tobacco consumer to reduce these risks is to quit.

Their bold, not mine. Excerpt from:
http://www.imperialtobaccocanada.com/groupca/sites/IMP_7VSH6J.nsf/vwPagesWebLive/DO7VXN69?opendocument&SKN=1
 kohmelo
Msg: 49 (view)

Posted: 5/29/2013 4:26:00 AM

Maybe there is no BS excuses with drinking but numerous BS choices,

Yes. You are correct. These are choices that one can make while drinking. They are not requirements.

Most people smoking are still pleasant to talk to,

On the phone, perhaps. Maybe up wind? If you're a smoker you don't notice how much a smoker smells.

but when degenerate individuals like yourself put people down

When I was 14, I heard all the arguments you've given about the positive health effects of smoking. I believed them and they were my excuse for several years. Unfortunately once I figured out through personal experience they were bogus I was already addicted. Folks like you, giving out this crap, helped keep me smoking and could have killed me. Now my son is 14 so you won't be posting that crap without a fight. Whenever you try to convince someone of the health benefits of smoking, it's inevitably going to get back to our youth and ultimately you're a threat to society and to my children. I'm sorry if this makes you feel bad but the truth is that it should.
Rather than having to feel bad, why don't you go to your doctor and see what he has to help.
 kohmelo
Msg: 5 (view)

Does anyone know about magnesium supplements?
Posted: 5/28/2013 6:02:30 PM
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php
Why supplement when you can eat it?
 kohmelo
Msg: 45 (view)

What would you do, if you were a god?
Posted: 5/28/2013 5:12:50 PM
I wouldn't put my worst enemy in charge of the prisoners.

I wouldn't let my expectations be subjective.

I wouldn't give my creations the ability to think critically and then reward them for not using it.

Also, I wouldn't have included the Leviticus Laws and Deuteronomy... Hell, I wouldn't let a book, which is so obviously subject to be edited by man do my talking for me.
 kohmelo
Msg: 47 (view)

Posted: 5/28/2013 4:54:27 PM

Ranks right up their with drinking I would say

I wouldn't. Drinking gets me drunk but in the 20 years I smoked I never found a benefit. It's not fun and it doesn't get you high.
In all the year I have drank, I've never pretended like there's health benefits. That's because I never had to. There's a logical reason to drink (it's fun) so no need to make up BS excuses.
 kohmelo
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 5/27/2013 6:13:55 PM

I am not sure what your questioning is trying to prove, or I assume you are directly asking me these questions…The information, I mentioned are all published studies from around the world, so, I could provide links to them and you could ask the professionals in their fields, these questions.

You're the one offering this up as relevant, this is why I'm asking you.
If you believe there are health benefits to smoking, why do you list yourself as an occasional smoker? Surely if it were so beneficial you'd be doing it often.
I wonder, have you ever tried to convince your loved ones to smoke using these arguments? Do you actually believe that drivel or is it just an excuse to justify your dirty addiction?
 kohmelo
Msg: 49 (view)

People addicted to electronics
Posted: 5/25/2013 3:27:04 PM

Walking with headphones or walking while texting does none of the above if you can successfully acknowledge that you need to pay more attention outwards when you're engaged in either. Having headphones on doesn't make me stumble or fall asleep, or slow my reaction time if a car is coming towards me if I am paying attention to my surroundings, which is my key point here...

Curiously, when the Ontario government launched their ad campaign regarding the new laws against using hand held electronic devices while driving, they actually included in their ad specific numbers comparing how much texting while driving impairs you compared to a specific blood alcohol level.

Here's something you might want to read:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004
Here's an excerpt for you:

Rigging a car with a red light to alert drivers when to brake, the magazine tested how long it takes to hit the brake when sober, when legally drunk at .08, when reading and e-mail, and when sending a text. The results are scary. Driving 70 miles per hour on a deserted air strip Car and Driver editor Eddie Alterman was slower and slower reacting and braking when e-mailing and texting.
The results:

Unimpaired: .54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet
Sending a text: add 70 feet

bold, my emphasis.
 kohmelo
Msg: 21 (view)

Life is getting way to complicated
Posted: 5/24/2013 2:39:41 PM

The newest version of excel is 2013.

Which will require 1 year of IT testing and then another year of debate before the need for upgrading is justified financially and then another year to implement.

So it could be defaulting to the 97-2003 version, but that would only happen if you selected it in the drop down list previously.

No. I have not selected this as the default. IT may have set it up this way but to the best of my knowledge, this is the factory defaults. You're right about the 2003 vs 2007 so possibly it's IT's doing from the last upgrade. I know our current enterprise software will only spit out an xls so that could be the reason.
 kohmelo
Msg: 3 (view)

songs you cant help but sing along too?
Posted: 5/23/2013 6:48:14 PM
Mostly Manowar. Swords in the Wind, Gods of War, Heart of Steel, Courage, Battle Hymns. I think they have just over 100 songs in total and I know 98% of the words of 90% of them
Unfortunately I can't do it justice so I have to make sure it's loud enough that I can't hear myself singing along.
 kohmelo
Msg: 39 (view)

Posted: 5/23/2013 4:40:41 PM

1. Smoking lowers risk of knee-replacement surgery

2. Smoking lowers risk of Parkinson's disease
3. Smoking lowers risk of obesity
4. Smoking lowers risk of death after some heart attacks
5. Smoking helps the heart drug clopidogrel work better

With all these health benefits, I just want to know how long you're going wait until you force your future children smoke? I mean, you can give them only so much second hand smoke to get them through to legal age. What if it's not enough? Will you not feel guilty for depriving them?
 kohmelo
Msg: 19 (view)

Life is getting way to complicated
Posted: 5/23/2013 4:21:10 PM
Re: passwords - yes they are jerks, we must adapt
Create a system.
You'll be expected to use at least 8 characters, including one caps & one symbol & one number
Pick a 6 letter word (mutten) for arguments sake
Pick a symbol $
So first time it's $Mutten1
After 60 days (or whatever they dictate) it's M$utte2n
Then Mu$tt3en
Get the pattern?
You probably can't use any of your last 3 or 4 passwords so make it robust enough to last but always return to the beginning asap.
Consider having different words for different things. If I use the same password for my facebook as I do for my bank account, I figure someone from facebook will soon be making withdrawls on my behalf. Therefore, consider using word association to get your 6 letter word. (or 7 letter, whatever you choose)
At work we're moving from a password for everything to authentication off our windows login. I would expect to see that more going forward. Likely your facebook will only log in from your smartphone or pc and no one else's

Re: 4 digit pins
Pick 3 numbers. Say 123
Now pick a digit that corresponds with a letter than can be associated with whatever the PIN is for.
Example Back (b=2) so the pin could be 2123 or 1232 (you choose). If it's for your voicemail (v=8) so 8123 or 1238.

Re: Software: When they ask you if you want to download the newest version of Itunes, simply say no. If you want, you can click on "don't ask me again"

Re: facebook: (excerpt - http://www.facebook.com/help/214376678584711)

Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page
Select Account Settings
Click Security in the left-hand column
Click Deactivate your account

Problem solved

Re: Smartphones - you don't have to have one. My phone calls and texts. Nothing else. If you're not at your PC, live your actual life.

Re: OS & Software- Windows Xp still works. We have Windows7 at work with the new Excel 2010. If I create a new file and save, it defaults to saving it in the 2007 version and tells me there may be compatibility issues with the new version of Excel (pure genius).
The real solution is to not upgrade. The only reason why these new products exist is because there's a market for them. The market exists because we're dumb enough to pay for it.
I know this isn't the comedy forum, but
How do you milk a sheep?
Iphone5
 kohmelo
Msg: 2 (view)

Is it really healthy to have a six-pack/washboard abs?
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:15:42 PM
Do it if you want to. You need a bit of fat to line your vital organs but that's typically inside and from what I understand that's about 4%... and it's always a good idea to have a bit to carry you between meals but you really don't need that much. You will probably maintain your current weight by eating around 2200 cals/day based on the stats you've supplied. You should have reasonably visible abs at 7% fat.. so if you were still 168# you'd be carrying almost 12lbs of fat... at 3500 cal/lb you've got 18 days stored. You should be able top skip a dinner.
Beyond that, I've never heard losing the fat was a problem from any refuted source... I could be wrong.
If you're really worried about it I suggest buying skidfold calipers and google up a good body fat calculator. Once you have that, do a little research and find a good target.
Mine is 7%
 kohmelo
Msg: 26 (view)

How fit are you really?
Posted: 5/19/2013 3:44:04 PM

But the rare times I used to run on a track, 1% seemed about right.

Ah. The track... I wanted to compare myself to that twelve minute run as I smoked many years, quit last September and am a bit curious how much it still affects me. No access to a treadmill so the track makes sense.
The other night I rode my bike over to the track and had a run. 1/4 mile per lap, I pushed myself too hard on the first lap trying to set a good pace and only did 2 laps in about 4 minutes and burned myself out. Despite not finishing the 12 minutes, I am able to extrapolate the information and determine I need to improve my cardiovascular fitness.
I'm targeting a 6 minute mile.
 kohmelo
Msg: 8 (view)

Non-Secularists make their most recent move...
Posted: 5/16/2013 3:46:04 PM

Why do you think the imagery and the background music was so incredibly touching?

I found it funny that at the end, the ice thaws and the cross falls. Excellent use of foreshadowing.

Same old message. "If it's freedom of speech to tell me I'm wrong, and that I'm speaking out of turn, and that I'm trampling on everyone else's rights and sensibilities, shouldn't it also be freedom of speech to force everyone to listen to me anyway, and act as though I really am the smartest person in the room?"

Notice how the comments on the video are disabled? And the ratings too... and then they complain about being called hypocrites. Too funny.

BTW - There's video responses, you just have to search for them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmuqr9R1w8
 kohmelo
Msg: 69 (view)

Anyone Recently Lost A Significant Amount of Weight?
Posted: 5/15/2013 5:22:29 PM

my breasts increased like 3 cup sizes

Please write a book on how you did this.
Thanks in advance.
- men everywhere
 kohmelo
Msg: 10 (view)

How fit are you really?
Posted: 5/14/2013 7:01:21 PM
That was a tongue in cheek comment...

Lots of hills in downtown Guelph. Explains the shin pain. Thx.
How accurate do you figure the distance on your treadmill is? I know my elliptical's is out in left field.
 kohmelo
Msg: 8 (view)

How fit are you really?
Posted: 5/14/2013 5:48:36 PM

Do people think these tests are reliable indicators of fitness, and how to you compare?

For a novelty, sure. We can compare ourselves to others or the norm. Being below should be a motivator to do better. Being above should be an ego boost. What normally happens though, is we either cheat or struggle to make the grade.

Most of these tests require you to be very honest. I can do 90 bad pushups but to do them properly and count properly is not a challenge that all can face. Picking an old record, I was slightly above average 4 months ago.

The bench press, for example, is not a very good measure either. Keeping a pace off a metronome, especially 1 second up 1 second down is too fast and easy to hurt yourself. Weightlifting should be performed slowly with focus on form and not pushing yourself to meet a standard or a clock. I don't bench press much anymore because there's better and safer chest exercises I can better use my time on but I know from my old records that I can bench 80lbs for quite a while. The standard says 30 reps for my age... I'm not going to count.

The waist to hip ratio has me a high risk, which is odd because my trusty skin fold caliper has me at 10% fat... I guess I'm at high risk of being misshapen?

I am sure it hurts me that most of the cardio I had been doing is biking or a cross-trainer.

Probably not. Last time I went jogging my shins were killing me for the next 2 days. I much prefer my bike or elliptical - I find they hurt less... Seriously, I have no clue how far I can run in 12 minutes. How would you even measure that?
 kohmelo
Msg: 55 (view)

Posted: 5/11/2013 9:08:07 AM

Of course we do and if we/you don't then find out what is.

I remember when I was fat. I lost some lbs but I saw no visible change in the mirror. I was too fat to notice a few lbs lost. I think I lost about 30lbs before anyone even noticed any difference visually, myself included.
Using a belt is a skewed measurement. Losing an inch when you've got a 45" waist requires you to lose about twice as many lbs of fat than losing an inch when you have a 30". Using this method your weight loss will falsely appear to be accelerating. I do have my old belt with all my notches that I keep as a reminder but I really don't think this is a good long term measuring system...

... but you can use waist measurements by relating them to body fat. Google up body fat calculator and you'll find several different measuring methods. Using a tape measure on your waist is not too accurate so I personally settled on a skin fold caliper and the Jackson Pollock 3 site method. From there you can figure out how much fat you're carrying and how much you need/want/can lose. Then measure those skin folds and jump on the scale in regular intervals and plot your progress.

You really need to keep regular measurements. They will tell you if you're losing fat or muscle... or if you're losing nothing at all... or worse, gaining. When your method is working you need to make note of what you're doing and keep on track. When your method is not working then changes are needed. If you don't measure your progress then you have no idea if you're succeeding or failing.
 kohmelo

Is anyone into callipygous mesomorphic steatopygia art?
Posted: 5/7/2013 6:24:53 PM
Of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC6Ib_ORcMk
 kohmelo

Ghost BC
Posted: 5/5/2013 4:09:58 PM
Sorry man, but I don't think it will last. They're a gimmik rock band and that tends to be short lived. If they got a little ballsier or darker or doomier or a little more melodic they might be able to fall into a niche metal genre and last forever...
I can't tell if this is a cover (with differnt lyrics) or just a complete rip-off of Tiamat's "Year Zero"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mbxe33BYW8
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obT7xu09Jck

I swear it's the same riff and the chanting at the exact same pace?
 kohmelo
Msg: 25 (view)

what is Time?
Posted: 5/4/2013 7:37:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHe-_sLG9BU

What do you see?

A loaded question. There is a woman rotating. Defining the rotation as clockwise or counter clockwise is incorrect. Are you looking up from the bottom or down from the top. If you do both, you'll find they give the opposite answer... so even if you don't see both directions from the same perspective you can still give both answers by changing the frame of reference. Resolving this issue can be done with a thumbs up reference. Point your thumbs up to her head and determine if her rotation is better represented by the fingers of your left hand or your right hand.

Even with a fixed frame of reference you can still see the image rotating both directions by changing your focal point. The only reason why this illusion works is because you're forced to look at it perpendicular to it's axis.
Were you to have this actual 3D figure and look at it as you might look at a clock (in-line with its axis) there would be no doubt.

Consider time in the same fashion. In order to understand what it is, I believe we have to change our frame of reference. It seems illogical to me that it would be only 1 dimensional since space is multidimensional. We likely perceive it from only 1 point of reference creating the illusion .
 kohmelo
Msg: 11 (view)

The Light Speed Centrifuge thought Experiment
Posted: 5/2/2013 6:46:37 PM
^^^ There's a "minute physics" on that. I didn't google it, I saw it before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKc5kgPVrA
 kohmelo
Msg: 10 (view)

The Light Speed Centrifuge thought Experiment
Posted: 4/30/2013 7:16:51 PM
This is a trick question.
Since I'm "imagining" the scenario, the results are whatever I choose them to be.

In order to actually complete this experiment, you have to break the current known laws of physics or discover new ones and since we don't know how to achieve this, no sense in speculating on the results.
Also note that the speed of a centrifuge is typically measured in RPM as opposed to m/s. The reason for this is the linear speed of the centrifuge varies depending upon the distance from the center.
 kohmelo
Msg: 110 (view)

How male circumcision hurts women
Posted: 4/16/2013 3:48:31 PM
^^^ You suppose they took the 2 different bacterial cultures and stuck them in a petri dish to see if they had any effect on the HIV? Not likely - that would have been mentioned in the article - instead of "The researchers plan to follow up to explore this possibility".

What you have here is two completely separate pieces of information pressed together to appear "sciency" in a weak attempt to propound the author's opinion. Add to the fact that the study conducted in South Africa is of the type where the actual data would be extremely hard to collect and even harder to verify, you've got nothing less than propaganda.
No surprise, proponents of circumcision have been trying for years to come up with any desperate excuse to keep it going.
I say keep it going. The only thing that really wrong with circumcision is that it is often performed on unwilling and non consenting victims, also known as babies. If you want to have one done, get it when you're 18 and of legal age to consent to a body modification.
I figure someone's going to come on here and say it safer or hurts less when you're a baby. If you believe that, how do they fare with other surgical procedures like open heart surgery?... is it safer? does it hurts him less.... maybe he won't remember?
 Kohmelo
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 4/10/2013 4:29:14 PM
I recently lost 40-50. Not sure exactly. I had no scale when I started my scale was broken (...shut up :)...). I bought one 2 or 3 weeks after making changes to my diet so I was 212 when I weighed then and I'm 168 now... so at least 44.

Anyways, for an interesting challenge, try putting the weight back on. Not in fat - but grab some weights and find a way to affix them to your body and see how strenuous it is to drag that extra weight around.
I did this last night during my legs routine. 40lb back on. No wonder I was so tired all the time.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 25 (view)

Exercise bike,rower or treadmill??
Posted: 4/4/2013 2:39:37 PM

This is called modified HIIT training,

I stumbled onto HIIT this once as well. I found 2 different types. Tabata is 20 secs going as hard as possible followed by 10 seconds of slowed down, more relaxed exercise repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. When you do this, or any other form of shortcut type exercise, how do you know it's working?
The average person won't - or at best you may notice results over an extended period of time. Once that time has passed, it's passed and I hate wasting time.
When I did try HIIT, I did it as a tertiary exercise. I did it first thing in the morning (only takes 4 minutes) and then continued on with my regular weight training and cardio in the evenings. In this way I could try it without sacrificing 2-3 months of weight loss. In doing that I noticed no discernible difference between doing it and not doing it.
I would expect the 60 second version to be much of the same, nothing more than a good story.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 16 (view)

stopping weight gain when not active
Posted: 3/28/2013 4:48:42 PM

Old myths "a pound of fat is 3500 calories"..may be close but not accurate for most.

I whole-heartedly disagree with this statement, however, in the case of the OP I think it's irrelevant.

OP, if I were in your shoes I would stop worrying about weight gain (unless you're suffering from an obesity related illness). Are you really in a physical state for weight loss? Will losing weight do more harm than good? Reducing calories will slow down weight gain and possibly reverse it, however, it may also slow down your recovery. Calories are energy and you need it to perform all the tasks required to get better.
TBH, my primary concern would be maintaining the muscle that I have and trying to build more during healing exercises. In order to do this, I'd concern myself with protein intake. In that fashion, when you do your exercises you have the right materials in your body to build. Also, I wouldn't avoid sugar - I'd limit it to honey and fruit but I'd still take it in. It''s easy for your body to convert it to useable energy and you likely don't need any extra challenges right now.
If your diet is vegetarian, it's harder to get all the various amino acids you need for a complete protein intake. I suggest you look up your regular foods and see what matches well with what foods in order to get a complete protein intake every meal. Also, realize that your muscles want to grow all day long (even in a weakened state) and your body will not store protein for you. Try to eat smaller meals more frequently, each with a complete serving of protein. I take in 1g/lb of body mass/day divided evenly over 6 meals when building muscle. You're also building muscle so you should consider that number. A quick google search will verify.

Once recovered, that's when weight loss should go back on the table. I also suggest you talk to your doctor before making any dietary changes because you don't know how much any of us really know.
 Kohmelo

Self conscious and hoping to join a gym
Posted: 3/27/2013 5:53:48 PM
My first time I was 14 or 15 and went in on my buddy's brother's membership. It was basically sneaking in. When we were in there 2 big muscle heads came up to us and started trying to teach us form. They were raging for sure, yelling and making a scene. It was brutal and I never went back. My dad had free weights I could use in the basement.
I haven't run into any more guys like that, but I can see how someone might be worried about them. Personally, I've built my own gym in my basement and never have to worry about other people giving me bad advice or making scenes or being overly scrutinizing.
It's a one time investment and I can use it forever.
 kohmelo
Msg: 19 (view)

what bad foods or eating habbits are you willing to give up for 1 month?
Posted: 3/26/2013 4:26:14 PM
Peanut butter isn't bad? - I've got the natural stuff, made with only peanuts.
1 tablespoon is 100 cals
It contains 72 cals of fat (8g's) - way too much for my needs
It contains 3g's of protein - way too little for my needs

If I eat any more than a bit, I'd have to heavily compensate elsewhere. Since I also don't see any other nutritional benefits like essential vitamins or minerals, I see no reason to eat it at all.

Along with several other items, it's off the menu. I don't believe in "giving them up" especially for a set period of time. We'll spend that month longing for them and ultimately it makes the things we stop eating for all the right reasons seem more precious. I prefer to think of it as removing things from my diet that are not conducive with my goals. It may sound a little robotic but it works for me.
 kohmelo
Msg: 6 (view)

Im an eating machine!!
Posted: 3/24/2013 10:16:39 AM

and I keep kidding myself its muscle lol.

If you're gaining any significant amount of weight over a short period of time it's not muscle. (preemptive concession that this does not apply to teens and steroid users)

Is my enormous appetite just a transitional thing or will it be permanent?

There's a myth that people gain weight when they quit smoking. It's not likely permanent and is most likely due to your increase in activity. Since you're exercising your metabolism has gone up and you're likely over-compensating when you eat. Whether or not it dies down is entirely up to you.

If it's permanent, are appetite suppressants safe and any good? (im just talking the vitamin/herbal type thing not diet pills).

What vitamin/herbal type thing are you taking? The vitamin and supplement industry is not exactly angelic.

What are the best foods for filling you up without making you gain weight? (im a vego)

Vegetables. Eat lots of fiber rich foods and look for foods with a low caloric density. Your body will become satisfied sooner based on the volume of the food you eat. Also, don't drink your calories as your body does not recognize them.

Being vego? (vegan?) you still have to balance your macro nutrients. Protein needs to be 1 gram per day per Lb of body mass if you're building muscle, divided evenly over 6 meals. I believe that if you don't eat meat you need to watch specific amino acids to cover your proteins properly. Fats should be no more than 1/4 of your total calories (key word is calories, if you do it by mass or volume you're in for a nasty surprise) and sugars to a minimum.
Get on the internet and find out how much protein, fat, sugars and fiber are in each of your commonly eaten foods and work on a balance. Google has these answers

Don't forget calories. If you eat too many, your body stores them as fat and you gain weight. If you eat too few, your body will furn fat and you'll gain. Controlling calories, won't help you feel full but is critical in weight loss or gain. To me, it's #1 most important thing.

Sleep lots. Lack of sleep will stimulate your body's production of ghrelin (hunger hormone) and you'll constantly be hungry.
 kohmelo

getting too hungry then bingeing
Posted: 3/21/2013 5:14:51 PM

You do not have to have a manifestation of food intolerance/allergies that you notice.
Its when you eliminate them and do better then you see the difference if you are intolerant.

Do better how? What would one expect to notice if they were to eliminate a food that they are intolerant to?
 Kohmelo
Msg: 3 (view)

New Health Supplement
Posted: 3/21/2013 3:54:40 PM
Everyone is looking for the easy magic way. If it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is.

This stuff is not the same thing, but it's the same idea.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-42848593/how-hydroxycut-stays-in-business-despite-deaths-recalls-and-a-class-action-suit/

Since you can't find much info on it, you better believe the minute you start taking , you become guinea pig.
 kohmelo
Msg: 7 (view)

Are Cell Phones like Drugs?
Posted: 3/19/2013 5:02:36 PM
^^^ Ha, I've got an LG160. Google it. I believe it was Whitney that once said "Crack is a poor person's drug"
 kohmelo
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 3/19/2013 4:57:58 PM

You seem angry and I was not trying to provoke you...It may manifest as stress which is NOT good.

I was a bit angry when my words were miss-represented above, but other than that, no.

Were you still eating grains/heavy starches and sugars?

I was eating honey and fruit. All refined sugars were completely cut. All processed foods were out (still are). Grains were limited to a pita/ day, which I had with my lunch. I think it was approx 100 calories and had 3 - 4 ingredients. I remember hand picking them for content but I don't recall the details other than it was whole wheat. I actually ate more grains while losing weight than I did when I was spinning my wheels.

Did you do an elimination program to check for food intolerance?

No. A quick read up on it suggests that symptoms are required. Aside from being obese(no longer, BTW), I had (and have) no symptoms of anything.

As counting calories is not only unnecessary but practically impossible unless you have a lab set up in your kitchen and also bathroom. Because if you are not counting the calories coming back out, why are you counting the ones going in.

It's actually quite easy. I remember a mentor of mine once said, "To measure is to know". When you intend to cut a piece of wood to a 1 foot length, you start with a tape measure and mark off one foot and then make your cut. This in itself is not very accurate. If you require further accuracy you can then use more advanced measurements like a vernier and square with a table saw, CNC system or even a laser cutter. Still you will never achieve exactly 1 foot because the degree of accuracy you can achieve is limited to the smallest possible cuttable unit, a molecule of wood which exceeds the smallest possible unit of measure. Argh
Calorie counting is like the tape measure and saw. It;s not horribly accurate but it gives a decent cut whereas relying on your body to do it for you is like standing 3 feet back from the plank and throwing knives at it until it splits. It might get you a cut but how long it takes to get that cut and how close to a foot it actually is depends on skill, physical ability and luck.
Further to that, you don't need a lab. Keeping track of calories can be done very easily with a scale and a measuring cup. Sure, you need to determine how many calories is in each of the foods you eat, but the internet can help with that.
Then you need to figure out how many you should take in. Again, internet. Because we're all different, you may need to make adjustments based on results. 1 pound of fat stores approx 3500 calories, so if you cut 500 calories per day off what you expect to be your balance calories, you can expect to lose 1Lb of fat per week (this is how you measure what comes out). If you find you lose a bit more or a bit less then you can adjust for your balance calories and re-test. This cross check creates a closed loop system and allows for very accurate measurement. Where ppl often get stuck is when they lose 5 or 10 lbs, not realizing that your caloric requirements have gone down and you need to recalculate needs. (also note I use skinfold calipers to ensure losses aren't muscle and gains aren't fat, different topic)
I know exactly how many calories I need to eat to lose X lbs in X days / weeks / months/ years, etc.
I know if I eat a Big Mac or a piece of pie, how many calories it is and hence how far it will set me back if losing or if in balance mode how fewer calories I need to eat to offset it. Understanding how calories work does not make you slave to them, but master.

Portions are only limited in meats and dairy now for me.

I find this to be fairly true when tracking calories as well. Primarily, meat is the biggest source of calories for me. Portion size is based on protein content (1g/lb of body mass per day divided over x meals) and the vegetables are almost negligible. A decent portion of (most) vegetables might be 50 calories. If it's got 10% more calories than you think, that's only 5 calories. You would have to be off by that 10 percent 700 times in order for it to account for 1lb of fat. I also watch my dairy, fruit and grains (but not so close as meats and fish)

Maybe you did it wrong for your particular issues. I don't know.

Sure did. Over caloried. I admitted that already. Once the method changed, also never hungry except just before a meal and weight is easily controlled and even predictable. Again, I don't see why anyone would leave that to guesswork but to each his own.
 kohmelo
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 3/18/2013 7:39:34 PM

It would be better to count how many servings of ...

What, exactly, is a serving? Is it not a dumbed down and inaccurate way of quantifying food?

"Diets " work short term , lifestyle change using foods and a method you can live with forever is the challenge.

We're all on a diet. "Lifestyle change" is a nice buzz term you find on daytime TV and IMO just serves to further the miss use of the word diet.

You dont have to be right to enjoy this forum.

I'm more than willing to admit when I;m wrong, however, in this case I'm not. I know from personal experience. I spent more than 4 months "Lifestyle changing" in just the manner you describe. It translated into minor weight loss for a short period of time and then nothing for about 13 weeks. Sure, I wasn't hungry, but I was also fat and not losing a pound.
Once I got frustrated, I did my research and learned about calories and how they work. Once put into practice, it was very easy to control and predict my weight loss. Granted, I still stuck to the "lifestyle change", but it was a total failure without quantification... and no, "fist sized portions" did not work, nor did palm sized.

Men want to count calories more than women

I don't propose counting. If you start at zero and then binge eat until you hit your daily max, you're going to fail. I swear by budgeting. Total daily calories divided evenly into a set number of meals.

You can eat 1500-1800 cals a day of Twinkies and lose weight if you consumed 3500 cals of Twinkies before.
That does not address binge eating/addictions/health or belly fat storage.

The twinkie diet is a nice strawman. It makes calorie counting look ridiculous by showing how a complete fool can miss use it.
As for binge eating, I offered my approach to that in post #21.
 kohmelo
Msg: 38 (view)

Posted: 3/17/2013 2:42:48 PM

Good job AA

You make the same mistake he did, taking the point out of context. I was refering to methods of portion control for those who don't respond the leptin. Unfortunately, the difference between a pear, twinkie or a turkey leg is not relevant in portion control. These are things to think about when you're deciding what to eat, not how much. Stop quote mining.

A calorie is a calorie only in a lab, not in the human body.

This is very incorrect. A calorie is a unit of energy and is most definitely in the human body. The laws of physics reside both inside and outside of the human body. Ignoring calories is a good recipe for failure.
 kohmelo
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 3/16/2013 11:46:20 AM

100% False.

100% out of context
I suggest reading the previous posts with regards to what's being discussed.
 kohmelo

Is it the shoes?
Posted: 3/16/2013 11:38:01 AM
You've made a correlation between the shoes and the ankle problem.

While this could be correct, it also might not be. One occurrence is never accepted as sufficient evidence for causation. There's so many variables to consider like the fact that stairs are high risk, you mentioned that you can slip these on when "you're in a hurry"... so were you really walking? Texting? Mind adrift?

Try googling the product name followed by the issue you've experienced and see if you can find any relevant blogs or reviews where some else had the same issue. If it's prevalent then it's likely the shoe. If it's not prevalent then it probably isn't the shoe but ultimately it will be up to you to decide if you're going to continue wearing them.
 kohmelo
Msg: 27 (view)

Posted: 3/16/2013 11:28:43 AM

Plate size, time limit, serious portion control.

Calories are the only thing that counts. Plate size or portion size is ballpark and subject to be way off based on the caloric density of the food. If you want to succeed, why leave it to guess work?

Foods with a higher fat content are able to help folk curb the binging that can follow some meals, however large. Ever hear folk mention how they are hungry after eating chinese. Lots of veggies, little fat in some meals.

While I agree with what you're saying, I also worked with over 100 Asians over the years and only one is even slightly over-weight and not one is or was obese. China does not have an obesity problem, nor does Japan, Vietnam or the Philipines. That's not an accident, it's all in the food they eat.
Further to that, if you're eating fat to cure your hunger, you're likely eating too many calories. If you happen to be one of the unlucky few that don't respond to leptin then you really have to decide if you want to stay fat or suffer a bit of hunger. Even those that do respond will likely still have their moments when they feel it, I know I do. Mind over matter.
 kohmelo

Posted: 3/14/2013 4:34:50 PM
^^^ I don't think I would try that. Those 2 days would be pure hell for me

A few things that will lessen the feeling of hunger while on a calorie reduced diet:
- Eat vegetables. They have a high volume to calorie ratio. Studies show that your body feels satisfied from eating based on the volume of food taken it. If you only eat calorie dense foods you'll feel hungry more often
- Don't drink your calories. Your body does not recognize calories taken in through liquids as well as it should.
- Eat more small meals. 5-8 a day is a good number... I do 6. Pick a number and stick to it.
- Drink water before each meal. This will fill up your stomach and give you a feeling of fullness sooner.
 kohmelo
Msg: 11 (view)

Tips for a new runner?
Posted: 3/14/2013 4:20:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara_people

Check out the Tarahumara People. They run incredibly long distances - scroll down to the "Athletic Prowess" section, as it gives a bit of insight... and it's not a unique few, it's the entire group of them. They even have 80 year olds running beyond marathon distances on a regular basis. I saw a great episode of "William Shatner's Weird or What?" on them that gives details into how they do it, but you'll have to find it yourself if you want to see it.
The most important point in the episode is the fact that not so long ago, man ran long distances on a regular basis for hunting. (Check out persistence hunting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting). Basically it's in our nature to run and the fact that some struggle to run now is more due to our lifestyle than anything else.

I think post #11 gives some good direction on how get you going as long as you first realize that you can do it
 kohmelo
Msg: 15 (view)

best approach towards a woman?
Posted: 3/13/2013 8:17:37 PM

@ melo idk why I guess I need to just be more creative anybideas or thoughts?

Nothing specific, you really have to exude your own confidence. It's not something I would know how to package and give to you... it's in your pics and profile mind you.

I do wish they didn't lock these threads at 21 replies. I;m curious to hear how Imagine's approach works for you. I'll drop him a pre-emptive "touche" in the event that it works out for you.
 kohmelo

best approach towards a woman?
Posted: 3/13/2013 7:50:30 PM

What you mean? That wasnt very specific..

He said the same thing in another thread.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15928271.aspx

The approach to messaging you say you're using shows zero confidence... you seem to have it in your profile, so why do you fall apart when you send a message?
 kohmelo

Workout music
Posted: 3/5/2013 7:15:45 PM
Manowar on random (usually)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFMsSra-Nc&playnext=1&list=PL29826D4A9B16EAD9&feature=results_main
 kohmelo
Msg: 29 (view)

How can an ectomorph/hard gainer pack on calories?
Posted: 3/5/2013 3:47:47 PM

Pushing the thread into an argument about who's right or wrong about what a particular person might be able to gain is silly. A lot like trolling.

You contested my info first. Still, I don't think calling bs to be trolling. Posting whale tales is what I call trolling. And FTR, I'm on that site too. I just don't trust it.

As for gaining muscle, I would:

- start with a realistic goal. I stopped when I was younger because I thought I wasn't making any progress. If I'd have continued I'd have more muscle than I do today... and stop by the grocery store to see how much 5# of muscle actually is (lots!)

- lift with intensity. Find a good workout plan and adjust it as it suits your needs. You can find them online or in books.
Stick to form. Find out the proper way to do the exercise and don't cheat.

- Practice proper nutrition. Since you're only gaining the equivalent of the tip of your pinky in muscle every day, you don't need to run a huge caloric surplus. Just keep a balance. Eating more is just going to make you fat.
Keep your protein intake up. At least 1 gram per lb of body weight and spread it out over 6-8 meals - your body won't store protein

- Get lots of sleep. That's when you do your best growing. Also, deep sleep stimulates natural HGH production.

And while a doctor is fine for asking about pills to make them feel better, I've never met one that had any clue about bodybuilding.

While that can be the case, it's not the norm. Aside from understanding medicine, they also have to understand the human body. If you don't like your GP's advice there's other medical professionals that focus on the body like kinesiologists and physiotherapists. It's better than sorting through bunk.
 kohmelo
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 3/3/2013 8:07:38 PM

BB.com is a great source for information, whether it's the organized site info or the posted info from experienced amateur fitness enthusiasts. You can never believe everything you read from any source on the 'Net but that's why you do more research and ask questions.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm
Been there. In this article they claim that you can gain 1lb per week but it also says;

The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, CA) run by Dr Michael Colgan PHD, a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day."

18 1/4 #, Dr guided professional athlete and there's no indication if steroids were used or not and it certainly doesn't indicate the age of the person in question. If they were 19 then it's not a huge surprise... but certainly less than the 30# in 13 weeks claim and less than the 25# plus in 6 months claim and less than the 1# a week claim made at the beginning of the article.

Dive into the forums and you get some really interesting info
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126881973&page=1

Skinny teenagers can gain astonishing amount of muscle. And guess what? Most of it they would gain even WITHOUT WORKING OUT, because this is what is called "growing"...
Advanced adult trainees, 5 lbs per year IF LUCKY!
The more muscular you are, the less you can gain.

You hit consensus after this is said.

What has selling misbranded products got to do with finding information on working out?

First, it speaks to the quality of information you get from them.
Second, the people in those forums are reading the bunk articles that bb.com posts.
Third, it speaks to the gullibility of the folks in the forums. I'm sure not all are buying but the whole website exists to sell supps.

you neglect to give your references.... your numbers come from where?

I've gotten confused by all the bunk too so I asked my doctor.
 kohmelo

Posted: 3/3/2013 9:25:00 AM

bb.com forums:
10% are able to gain 1 lb a week
10% are prone to morbid obesity
the rest of us 80% are somewhere in between.
15 lbs a year would put you in the beginner category, and yes that is lean mass.

bb.com forums? That's your source? Nice. Do you know how dirty they are?
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInvestigations/ucm305494.htm
Fined $7mil for misbranded products.
They would love you to think you should be able to put on 15# a year. Misinformation sells supplements.
"why aren't I gaining 30# of muscle in boot camp? I must need some supplements!"

And the guys who did put on 30# at boot camp? You can put on 2lb, maybe 3, in 13 weeks. That's all. The rest was fat and water. Though damn good exercise, I'm sure.

Show ALL Forums