Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Cosplay! :D
 YayForBeer
Msg: 3 (view)

Cosplay! :D
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:11:39 AM
Not for a looong time..

I did go to Otakon a few times, back in the early to mid 2000s... I did Iori Yagami twice, and the third year I didn't bother.. mainly because it's about 115 degrees in Baltimore when they hold the convention, and it's terribly uncomfortable to wear a costume...
 YayForBeer
Msg: 50 (view)

Metal
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:07:08 AM
Psychostick is great. Actually, I do a Beer review channel on Youtube, and their Beer song is the theme music for it, lol. They have another hilarious track called "Girl directions." Highly recommended.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 19 (view)

skinny face......Fat Body?
Posted: 7/13/2012 8:52:04 AM
I think you look fine the way you are now. I'd put "A few extra pounds" or even "Average."

Make sure to eat healthy and take care of yourself, but please don't let today's media and social influence push you into being one of those girls that exercises and starves herself into a skeleton. Women think that's a positive body image, but it's actually more unhealthy than being overweight.

And yeah, kick the smoking. I do it very rarely myself, but I got an E-Cig and it helped me quit after a 15 year habit. I highly recommend it. Quitting smoking will make weight loss so much easier.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 62 (view)

Where DO you feel it's okay to approach you? (women)
Posted: 7/11/2012 9:59:49 AM
It's already been said plenty of times, but I agree - if the guy is hot, the woman won't care.

The gym thread never would have existed if they guy that approached the OP was "OMG HAWT."
 Neon_Black
Msg: 73 (view)

So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)
Posted: 7/10/2012 11:29:16 AM
I was never very good at sports, and my parents wanted me to do something besides play Nintendo all day long.

They bought me a guitar and Queen's "A night at the opera" and that was 21 years ago. I haven't put it down since, and I still know how to play all the songs from that album. :)

Few things are as great of an emotional release as playing the guitar.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 13 (view)

Better off single or with a partner???
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:34:29 AM
I can relate here, for sure.

Last steady relationship I had was probably around 2003 or so. I know it sounds crazy, but life has a way of keeping a relationship on the back burner. I went to school, and then my career became my main focus. I had a HEAVY travel job from 2004 to 2009 where I was on the road over 300 days per year.

Over the past 3 years, even though I now have a stable office job, I find that I'm so planted in my routines, and the sheer freedom of being single, that any time I'm going out for a date, or the potential for a relationship opens up, I find myself rather intimidated, and worried about how it will affect my daily life, which has basically been just me, myself, and I for the past 9 years or so.

Sometimes I wonder the same exact thing you posted. Maybe being single forever will just be less complicated, for me, and for any potential partner.

But I guess I'm hoping that the one person happens to come around someday, the person that I don't "need" or have to "settle" for, but rather the person that makes each day better just by being with them, than I could ever be by myself. If that makes sense.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 31 (view)

Why do men think it is okay to bother ladies at the gym?
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:24:23 AM
Sounds like a dirtbag. There's plenty of them.. have you watched the news lately?

You should ignore him and walk away, or notify the gym staff that he's harassing you. Posting on POF certainly isn't going to resolve the situation.

When I go to the gym, obviously I'm not a lady, but people do still try to socialize with me sometimes. I consider it up there with the person next to me on the airplane talking to me. It's annoying, and unwelcome. That's why I always pick a machine with nobody else near it, and I always have my headphones on. I don't go to the gym for fun, I don't go because I enjoy running in place like a hamster. I already hate being there, and having some oddball try and converse with me while I'm there just makes it more uncomfortable.

Truth be told, I largely do most of my working out at home these days. The only time I really go to the gym is to use the treadmill or bike on rainy/snowy days.
 Neon_Black

Great date, wants to see me again, then. . .
Posted: 6/26/2012 12:56:21 PM
You seem like a good catch to me. Hell you even came over and played video games with him. I would have followed you around like a lost puppy after that.. but I digress..

This whole thing with the "cute butt" and the "Good night gorgeous" etc etc. I would never say that to a girl on the first date. It even says in your profile that you like old fashioned, and there's nothing old fashioned about making out and pet names at HIS place the FIRST time you meet...

It sounds like things didn't go as far as he wanted on the first date, and he's probably busy pursuing somebody else.

And Pescando is right.. what are you thinking going to somebody's house that you've never met, on the first date? All he had to do was "say" he's not looking for sex, and that was good enough for you to not meet in a public place? I hope you carry pepper spray, or some other tool to protect yourself with.

I hope he turns out to be what you want, but he sounds like a typical a$$ hat player type to me.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 148 (view)

Why the hate for Video Games?
Posted: 6/26/2012 9:19:39 AM

Warcraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield players... UGH, you all sicken me! *Goes back to playing Dragon Age Origins*

Heh.. last time I checked Steam, I had over 90 hours in on Origins. I played that game into the ground.

I do agree that those three are the "popular" video games that have brought gaming to, in many cases, the wrong crowd. And most people who play those games play *only* those games.

My focus, however, will always be on the more underground fantasy/sci fi/adventure games. I just finished up with Amalur.. I thought it was fantastic. Over 60 hours put into that. A shame 38 Studios is now essentially an empty building, and it pretty much ruined Curt Schilling.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 146 (view)

Posted: 6/26/2012 8:53:15 AM

Why? Because I played a motorcycle racing game, and instead of racing, I would stay at the finish line and wait for everyone to come around to crash into me.

LOL Whenever I get cursed at in Call of Duty, I put on a BIG noisy machine gun with extended magazines on both weapon slots and run around shooting on my teamates. It does nothing except noticy the enemy of where we are, so we get slaughtered. So many rage quitters

One of my favorites used to be playing Warsong Gulch in Warcraft, which is a Capture the flag PvP instance. I absolutely LOATHE PvP in MMO games, and how seriously people take it. So I would follow the flag carrier, and whenever he was killed, I would pick up the flag and run it back to the opposing base and just let them kill me ... heh. I was not popular in battlegrounds, needless to say.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 142 (view)

Posted: 6/26/2012 8:15:03 AM

Do I lose "cool points" if I admit that my Diablo 3 trial play session lasted less than a half hour? Logged out, never logged back in and didn't bother buying it.

But 12 hours a day, really?? There is no game out there that could keep my butt planted in a chair that long.

Cool points? Nah, not at all.. lol. Diablo certainly isn't for everybody. It's got an unorthodox control scheme at best, and is PC exclusive.. many people I know feel that PC gaming is uncomfortable. I enjoy it, but it's all in the comfort level of the chair you're using. :)

And I admit, I was exaggerating pretty heavily.. 12 hours would be rather ridiculous. I think the only thing I've ever done for 12 hours straight is work....
 Neon_Black
Msg: 90 (view)

He claims his site was hacked
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:03:00 AM
omg hax0rz!!1

Sorry... I had to.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 2 (view)

Approachable
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:01:10 AM
It can be hard to approach an attractive woman, at least for some guys. I personally would not be able to do it in your case, because I would just immediately think you're out of my league, or that you've already got plenty of other guys to choose from. And this is coming from somebody with pretty high self esteem.

It's a bit different on the Internet.. I tend to message or chat with women here that I would feel are "out of my league" in person, because it's easier to move on if nothing comes of it. In public, it would be more awkward.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 135 (view)

Posted: 6/25/2012 7:40:13 AM

Naaaaaaah you don't need a plan. Then it starts feeling like a job and whatnot when you throw a schedule on there. I don't pay attention to all that. I just play until I don't feel like playing it anymore and naturally move onto something else. It varies how long that takes depending on the game.

If I played until I didn't *feel* like playing anymore, than I would probably play Diablo III for 12 hours a day.

But there has to be a plan for the rest of the day, where I note that the video gaming should stop, and another priority should take over.

Ironically, it was when I used to raid in WoW, that a video game, for the first time ever, started feeling like I was going to work, instead of trying to relax and have fun.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 130 (view)

Posted: 6/22/2012 2:43:10 PM

most of you that are a good deal older than me are still locked in your stone-age thinking

I'm thinking this kind of unprovoked shot puts you firmly in the "only immature idiots play video games" class.

The issue of age has already been addressed several times in the last 6 pages. This is why you need to read more than the first 5 sentences of the first post in a thread going on 150 replies.

Going back, if I typed the original post again, Yes, I probably would like to omit that part since it may come off as inflammatory.

With that being said, it still says "most" not "all." It's not a blanket statement. And you are one of the exceptions, and not part of the "most." So how can you feel like it's a shot at you when it doesn't even apply to you?

I included "most" because I knew there would be people like you that are older, but still enjoy gaming. Props to you for pursuing your hobby into your middle years, I only hope I still retain my love for video games 23 years from now.
 Neon_Black
Msg: 5 (view)

How do they relate to it?
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:06:26 AM
I kind of understand what the OP is saying.

I like Immortal Technique, but I can't even begin to relate to what he's rapping about. It's far from my experiences as young, white software company employee who gets to come home to a nice place and a big TV every night in a quiet little American town. I'm sure if the dude met me in person he'd probably want to kick my ass.

So Rheo is right. If you like how it sounds, then just listen to it I guess. But in answer to the OP's question, I can't really relate to any Rap that I listen to. I just enjoy the sound from time to time. It has nothing to do with skin color. I like Eminem, as well, and he's white. I still can't relate to most of the stuff he raps about.. lol.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 120 (view)

Posted: 6/22/2012 7:33:56 AM

Guys, have you ever met a woman that plays video games and is actually good at it? Would you think thats hot?

I would consider it a positive quality if she could talk about games with me.. if we've played the same ones.. what we enjoyed about them.. maybe play some types of co-op or competitive games together, that would be great.

But I knew a girl back from the day that used to work at an arcade. She could whoop my butt at Capcom Vs SNK 2, and I was very good at it. It aggravated me just like if any dude was beating me, lol.. didn't really matter that she was a lady.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 16 (view)

Would you date an exotic dancer
Posted: 6/22/2012 6:10:10 AM
I dated a stripper for a while back when I was 20 years old or so. We were together for almost a year, and were going to get engaged and move in together. Then she cheated on me with one of the regular patrons at the club.

So.. no, I would never date another dancer.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 115 (view)

Posted: 6/22/2012 6:05:49 AM

1. Being a girl gamer to a lot of guy gamers is like finding the holy grail. They will swarm to you when they find out you're a girl. So, typically, a girl that plays video games who isn't about 100lbs overweight, you're going to do great by saying that.

I wouldn't call it a swarm. More like a trickle. But yes, it has proved quite helpful.

I've seen minor things like this even when I've created a female character in an MMO. Dudes will run up and help you fight something, even if you're doing fine, then just stand there and be like "Hey, what's up." To which I respond "I'm a dude." Then they just run away without saying anything else.. lol.

I think the MMO has really brought back most of the negative stereotyping, to be honest. When I first started with them, it was Ultima Online, and the mighty Everquest. Back then, if you played Everquest, you were definitely part of a very small minority. I think at its height, Everquest boasted about 250,000 players. WoW had over 11 million at one point. (Though granted many of these were likely gold farmers or bots).

Now, you see WoW commercials during Sportscenter. I know dudes that play WoW that look like they belong on Jersey Shore. It's not even *really* a video game.. it's more like a spreadsheet with numbers, and people just try to get the best numbers, then go kill the bosses by running pre-determined patterns. I remember my ex-roommate, who I had mentioned in a previous post, did these countless hours of raiding.. and I used to ask him what the names of the bosses were that he spent so much time killing.. and he didn't even know! It was like "Uh, the big frost giant guy." He had no idea how they fit into the lore, or even the basic lore of the game. He was only concerned with the best gem to socket into his new epic purple helm.

People like that are what ruined MMOs for me. There was a time, during Burning Crusade, where I was a pretty heavy WoW Raider.. but it didn't last long. The people acted like they were your boss, and I only have one boss - the one at work.

Now when I play MMOs, its strictly for the social aspect. I have not raided since WoW. I'm going to be trying The Secret World out, I've been playing all the beta weekends and its really really cool. But the past few "Big MMOs" like Rift, Star Wars, etc.. they've all just been WoW clones where the only goal is to level up to cap, then spend 30 hours per week sitting around raiding and learning patterns. There's nothing fun about that, at least for me.

One of my best tactics when playing video games is, before I even sit down to play, I look ahead in the day. I say "This is what I want to do, at exactly this time, and I can't skip it." So in that allotment of time, I play my games. And when it's time to stop.. it's time to stop. I've never found it difficult. I think the vast majority of those who become addicted, or play too much, are folks that don't have a plan.. they just sit down and start playing, but the increments of hours mean nothing to them, they just pass by like minutes.

I'm happy there are so many replies here. I didn't think that many people had opinions on games, or gamers. It's very cool to see everybody's thoughts, be they negative or positive. :)
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 3 (view)

Dating Rut
Posted: 6/21/2012 9:01:22 AM
You're 25 years old, attractive, educated.. you might as well have as much fun as you can. Pursue your hobbies, date when you want. You can't force a commitment on yourself if its not really what you want. You're saying you're in a dating rut, but from your post, it sounds like you're pretty content with the way things are going.

Lots of people early to mid 20s date a good bit. It's too early to settle down, in my opinion.

I worked a heavy (300 days per year) travel job from age 24 to 28. My career was the top priority.. with a little bit of dating here and there. Now that I'm into my 30s, I'm a little burned out on dating.. and maybe spending more effort looking for that special someone, or at least something longer term than a date, now that my career and life are pretty stable.

Enjoy it while you're young! I wouldn't mind being 25 again myself, hah.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 53 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 6:48:03 PM

because no matter who's playing them
they warp your mind
desensitize you
and turn you into a lazy zombie for hours on end

not to mention all the propaganda that's being pushed into your brain via war games.

I know girls that like to play them, but I just feel as if anyone who plays them is obsessive about it... and they actually put people in a bad mood when they lose. It's stupid... it's not real, get mad about the world...

I'm not a lazy zombie.. I go to work for 10 hours per day, run conference calls with VPs of massive corporations, and deal with international clients.. then I still answer Emails after hours when I get home.

Not all video games are war games. Sounds like you're one of those folks that thinks Call of Duty is the only video game ever created. Lots of games have a positive message, and are lighthearted.

People are also in a bad mood when their sports team loses, their car breaks down, or their flight is delayed. Should they cancel all professional sports, flights, and outlaw vehicles?

You can get mad about the world all you want.. with a video game, you can at least change the world you're getting mad about. Video games are an escape. Just like any movie, book, play, board game, or other hobby or interest.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 51 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 4:57:22 PM

Well I guess this is a topic for me to chime in on. I play video games as a hobby and even have the Gears of War logo as a tattoo. I have my own job and place but was never into watching TV because video games are interactive to me. I also have hobbies outside of video games(pool, bowling, and I go to the gym a lot).

Video games are a hobby like any other hobby. The thing is that they have received a lot of negative feedback over the years from the addicting edges developers have put in them. The girls who despise them have usually have dealt with a real addict at some point. Chances are the addict denies being an addict but actually plays hours and hours a day with the excuse of "I can stop anytime I want." There's plenty of people living home with their parents jobless playing video games 6+ hours a day. It's very real.

There are also plenty of people like me who don't play them every single day for hours and hours. The thing is when you meet those real addicts who do play, if they aren't playing that game, chances are they are talking about that game with somebody else. Even I can't be around those types of people.

Yes, well said.

I had a room mate for two years who, as soon as we moved in together, we both got laid off from the same company. He was a good dude, he still is. One of nicest people you'll ever meet.

I ended up getting a job two weeks later, the same one I'm at now. This was almost 4 years ago. He spent the next 18 months unemployed. Here was his daily routine.

- Wake up around 11AM-Noon. Play World of Warcraft.
- Eat something at some point.
- Play World of Warcraft until Dinner time.
- Maybe eat something, maybe take a shower, but unlikely.
- Play World of Warcraft until 3AM. WHILE drinking vodka and energy drinks.

He did this for 18 months. Oh, and he was also about a 2 pack a day smoker. By the time I moved out, he was about 40 lbs larger than when we first moved in, and coughed in the morning something fierce that sounded like a dying cow. He reeked of alcohol, and his bedroom floor was covered with empty pizza boxes, beer cans, energy drink cans, and empty cigarette packs.

Over that time, I also played Warcraft, but never to that extreme. I would occasionally get invited on "Raids" with his "Guild" and they would all be shouting on the microphone like they were some kind of Four Star General leading an army against the armies of Rome itself. But in the end.. they were sad people, with nothing to turn to once the game was turned off.

Now I've never been a game addict myself, but having lived through that, and seeing what it did to him.. It was like a constant "The more you know" commercial that hit me every single day for 18 months.

He's gotten a lot better, from what I've heard from talking to him.. but in those 18 months, I learned that, despite my love for video games, that's EXACTLY what could happen if I didn't take the time to tear myself away from them, and indulge in the other beautiful things that life offers on a daily basis.

My reason for creating this thread, is because through daily life.. be it at work, out with friends, on this website .. the general immediate reaction to somebody who says they play video games, is like they get a vision of this room mate in their mind.. and that's completely unfair.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 11 (view)

Career Vs Lifestyle.
Posted: 6/20/2012 3:49:49 PM
Your Career funds your lifestyle. Without money, your lifestyle is living on the sidewalk. Without my career I wouldn't have money for my guitars, my video games, or even to fill my refrigerator.

My job always comes first. I don't party on weeknights, I get to bed at a reasonable time, and I always take it personally when my clients aren't happy. For that, I've been recognized and rewarded countless times over my life of employment. I have plenty of friends who have crummy jobs, or go out drinking on work nights and show up every day with bloodshot eyes and give 50% the whole day. They might stay around, because they're a warm body that can do some things, but they'll never get elevated or recognized.

Most folks who have a career will understand when I say we probably spend more time at work than we do with our family or friends. That's just the way it goes. But the self confidence, assets, and support you get from having a successful career makes that precious time off that you have all the more important and enjoyable.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 37 (view)

Metal
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:41:19 PM
Kreator just put out a new album.. it's insane. Dudes that old thrashing harder than most of the bands with 20 year olds these days.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 14 (view)

Speaking of body types, how big is too big? Face v. body. And BBWs.
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:33:46 PM
It's not the number itself that makes it unattractive, it's how she carries it. I know some girls that are pretty big, but carry themselves well and come off classy and absolutely beautiful.

I'd say your second to last photo is about perfect for what I usually look for. You are in no way a BBW, not by a long shot. I actually strongly dislike that term.. by adding "Beautiful" to the tag, it implies that they need to convince themselves that they are beautiful.

I don't know women's sizes from a hole in the ground, so I can't tell you "I prefer a size whatever." I'm of the personal belief that a woman should have curves, just like a guy should have broad shoulders, big arms, and facial hair.. but that's just me.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 35 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 1:20:00 PM
I'm a luddite and for me video games will never be on the same level as cinema, theatre or music. I don't care how many copies of Call of Duty 4 sold in the first 24 hours. But I am still partial to an occassional game of Jet Set Willy (in moderation like all good things).

Yes, the world changes but it can change after I'm dead and buried. Only another 50 years or so :)

Probably because Call of Duty is not the game to be comparing to Cinema, Theatre or Music. :) Call of duty is to Video Games as Slipknot is to heavy metal. It popular, easy to digest, and cranked out in generic lumps for the masses who want to play video games with their "Bros," but don't want to be identified as a "gamer."

Might I recommend titles like Skyrim, Alan Wake, L.A. Noir, or the recently released PS3 game "Journey." All are brilliant mixes of atmosphere, stunning music, and voice acting on par with any half decent hollywood movie. Games like Doom 3, or Amnesia: Dark Descent, and Dead Space 2 I can guarantee you would give you more scares than the best scary movie ever released. :)

Just a recommendation. :)

*Edit* Also wanted to throw in there that the title screen theme for the PC game Civilization 5 won the Grammy for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists at the 2011 Grammy awards. :)

Not trying to prove you "wrong" or anything, just letting you know that if it's Acting, Music and atmosphere you're looking for, Call of Duty isn't a fair representation of Games.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 27 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 11:41:00 AM

I'm an artist, my work has been exhibited all over the country and is in private collections around the world. I just finished my masters degree in history. I couldn't have done half of what I've done if I'd wasted my life playing video games.

I know plenty of Artists. They always make sure to ask me if I want fries with that.

ou only get so many years to do something, to accomplish something real and tangible with your life. I see people sitting for hours in front of the TV or computer gaming, while the life of the real world passes them by.

I work in IT management, and I have a degree. I am very happy with my professional life, and I'm still a gamer. It sounds to me like a girl that played video games must have dumped you in high school or something.

Gamers are simply not ambitious people. Wastes of life.

This is an a$$ backwards completely untrue generalization. What if some of the people who own your "private stock" super elitist artwork are gamers? Hopefully they'll never see this post, or they'll throw it up on Ebay. Or if we're lucky, they'll trade it on Craigslist for an Xbox 360. That's called Poetic Justice.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 11:16:42 AM

No, it`s not, he told me it was Carpal Tunnel...something lol. He told me it was untreatable, sadly, or else he would have done it long ago. He was pretty hard pressed about it before, but he`s over that I think. Went to work for the Federal governement lol.
Ironically he`s on here somwhere too, but I have no idea his nickname or if he comes on the forums at all LOL.

I too have suffered from Carpal Tunnel over the years. Between playing metal guitar for 20 years, and being a computer nerd/Career IT Guy, both of which involve plenty of typing. I don't have it severe enough though to where it has caused me to quit playing guitar.. that would be a very sad day for me.

Also, how does morbid obesity fit into this discussion?

Gamers, particularly males, are generally stereotyped as being fat unattractive nerds. Or at least that's the way it was not too long ago. See the south park episode regarding World of Warcraft.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 8:46:20 AM

No hate here from this stone aged woman. sheesh. Talk about haters.

I didn't mean you Meems, you're the exception. :)

I'm actually going to take your point one step further and argue that most women ASSUME that most guys are into video games. That's how popular they've become. But I still think it's not in your best interest to get into it on your profile. It's fine to mention it briefly, or list it in interests, but I've seen some guys spend a whole paragraph listing the games they play. That is plain dumb.

Point well made, and I was at fault with this for a while too. Some folks suggested removing some of my video game references from my profile, and they were right. For a while, it had all of the genres I liked.. and I can imagine some poor woman saying "What the heck is a Real Time Strategy RPG?" and instead just going and clicking another profile.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 8:24:02 AM

I think generally speaking, video games are more acceptable today as a harmless past time than they were 10 years ago. But I still don't think they belong on POF profiles for guys. It's about as effective as girls putting down "shopping" or "make-up".

I kind of see your point, but the vast majority of women like shopping and wearing make up. Despite how popular video games have become, the men who play them are probably still the minority.

I personally put it on my profile because I'd like to find a girl who also digs video games. The same reason somebody puts mystery novels, knitting, horse riding, etc etc. It's a hobby.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black

the civil wars
Posted: 6/20/2012 8:08:24 AM
It's definitely one of the best rock songs ever written.
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 6/20/2012 7:59:22 AM
I've noticed that in a lot of threads there are specific mentions of video games, and they're often being linked to negative behavior.

Now, certainly, most of you that are a good deal older than me are still locked in your stone-age thinking, and I understand that arguing in favor of Video Games with you would be like trying to argue that the sun doesn't shine.. so I'm not going to bother.

But for the people in my general age range - 25-35 or so, even up to 40. If a person is successful, intelligent, social, and not morbidly obese, but still enjoys Video Games.. what is your reaction? If it's negative, I'm curious as to why?

And we all know that person who really DOES play video games for 10-12 hours a day, and is a complete loser. I had a room mate who played World of Warcraft for 18 months from Dawn to Dusk while he was unemployed. Just like ANY hobby or interest, there are people who take it to the extreme.

But Video Games seem to get this knee-jerk negative reaction immediately, especially from women, before they even know you personally.

Video games in today's age sometimes have bigger budgets than movies. They vastly improve hand to eye coordination, combine great storytelling with dazzling visuals.. and with the advent of the Internet, and Online gaming, can be a great way to have fun and keep in touch with friends and family that may not be close together, geographically.

Certainly there has been a renaissance in the past 10 years or so, with video games. They have been granted far more respect, there are exponentially more female gamers, and being a gamer no longer means being the dork sitting in a dimly lit basement for 12 hours instead of going out to hang with friends. In fact, some of the most bold and beautiful of the world's Actors, Musicians, and Athletes have even admitted to being avid gamers.

So .. I'm curious. Why the hate?
 Dreaming_Neon_Black
Msg: 18 (view)

Most annoying profile cliches?
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:43:44 PM
1) I don't think I've EVER seen this one in any male's profile. Granted I don't normally browse men's profiles.. so I probably don't see the bulk of them.. I do, however, share your disdain for it. It's gotten to the point where if a lady's profile mentions "games," then I ignore it. I don't even know what that means. Parcheesi? Checkers? Super Mario Bros? Is it supposed to refer to "Mind Games?" Who knows. It's so cliche it makes my head hurt.

2) Women are just as guilty as this, if not more so. The only difference with women is that they don't actually list it in their profile. It's supposed to be "implied." They list these noble traits like honest.. funny.. caring.. intelligent.. but of course "Looks like a Calvin Klein model" is supposed to be assumed by the guy, thus resulting in "UNREAD, DELETED."

3) I don't put this in my profile, personally. Again, see number 2. Guys are just more honest. Women are thinking the same thing, they just don't list it, but instead delete messages because of it.

4) This is the biggest crock in the history of online dating. No female looks at a picture of a dude with a 6 pack, flexing with no shirt on, and thinks "Wow, that's such a turn off." Seriously. Come on now..

And yeah.. the "Love living life and laughing at loving life living" or any version of that gives me a near aneurism.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 17 (view)

What did I do to my calf?
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:07:18 AM

The other place I get them is along the tops of my feet.

Yes, I've noticed I get these from time to time as well. If I put my foot on the ground in an even slightly awkward manner, it knots up and hurts for maybe 10 seconds. I've never figured out how to deal with it, I just elevate my leg and don't let my foot touch anything, and it goes away.

It's not nearly as painful as the leg cramp, but it's still unpleasant. And more common.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 14 (view)

Rejection: who do guys assume it's because of their pics?
Posted: 6/15/2012 2:08:42 PM
Let's see...

Women want: Honesty, Successful, Kind, Funny, Intelligent, (reasonably) tall, own car, own place, local, (preferably) no kids, no previous marriage, disease free, good hygiene, no drugs, and typically a decent list of interests.

I have all of these things.

Yet.. most of my messages end up "Unread, Deleted." As you can see, I type with very good grammar, and am articulate enough to not come off as a raging idiot .... so that can't be the issue. And don't give me grief about the screen name, because I wouldn't have any of the above qualities if I was a raging alcoholic.

So explain to me, other than my pictures, why they would end up unread?

Women will ignore any and all of the above qualities if the pictures are not attractive. Too often the men on this site get accused of that, but the women are just as bad. :)
 YayForBeer

Are guys on here mostly for sex?
Posted: 6/15/2012 1:55:49 PM
Probably not..

But unfortunately the minority of ass hats sending messages with pictures of their**** or "u r hot lets f*k" give every guy on here a bad name, so most of our messages usually end up "Unread, Deleted," even if we're sincere and not just looking for a hookup.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 12 (view)

Help me to understand
Posted: 6/15/2012 1:51:29 PM
For me personally, If I'm truly interested, and so is she, I will definitely not drop the ball - unless something majorly disturbing comes up, and even then, I'll explain why I'm no longer interested or no longer messaging.

Even if I give it a day or two without responding, I try to explain that it was a rough day at work/I was out on business/etc or whatever.

If they just up and vanish, I would think something shady is going on.. or they found out something they didn't like, but aren't honest enough to tell you that.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 97 (view)

What unique, physical feature do you find sexy....
Posted: 6/15/2012 9:01:05 AM
You know, I'd like to get all intellectual and poetic here, but I would just be lying to myself.

Boobs.

I'm typically much deeper than that .. I promise.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 6 (view)

Why do I keep getting rejected?
Posted: 6/15/2012 8:41:29 AM
You should post at least one full body picture. And lose the duck face pictures, for sure. You may be conscious of your weight, don't worry, so am I. The sad truth is, 99.9 percent of the people on this site will overlook somebody who has every single quality they want in a match, just because they're not skinny. It's what we have to deal with.

The best thing you can do is hope for that 0.1 percent.. which is what I keep doing.

Best of luck to you :)
 YayForBeer
Msg: 58 (view)

Is it normal to come to POF?
Posted: 6/15/2012 8:29:02 AM
While I certainly didn't come here specifically to find friends, I have ended up with a few chat buddies that I exchange IMs with, or where we ended up as Facebook friends. Mostly with women where a relationship doesn't really pan out, or ended up not being feasible, but we still get along ... I don't see anything wrong with it, but it's not what I'm here looking for.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 44 (view)

What is a deal breaker?
Posted: 6/15/2012 8:22:48 AM
Lack of musical knowledge or appreciation. I just can't click with somebody whose playlist would be the same thing you'd hear on a bar jukebox. So boring.

Bias against video games, gamers, or gaming. I understand she might not be a gamer, but when they roll the eyes when the Xbox comes on, they can roll right out the door. :)

Excessive working out / extreme activities. I understand your need to conform to society's standards that only a woman with a size negative 15 is "attractive," but I want no part of it. Healthy is one thing - torturing yourself over a few lbs is not healthy.

No career or career goal / No education / lives with parents / doesn't drive / has kids. All of those are instant no replies.

Political nuts or religious zealots. No thanks.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 20 (view)

misfits old/new
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:27:47 AM
I always get grief for saying it.. but Graves kills Danzig as a vocalist. His voice works much much better with their music. It's more haunting, and he has a better range.

And I do like Danzig as an artist, I even liked Blackacidevil. (Something else I always get flack for) I just think Graves was a better singer in that role.
 YayForBeer

Marriage/Funeral Music
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:23:27 AM

That would be hilarious for the bride coming down the aisle.
Then the first dance could be from the Mos Eisley cantina band.

My cousin and his wife actually walked out of the chapel to the Imperial March after being married. They also had the priest start off the ceremony with the "Mawiagge..." speech from Princess Bride. When the parents entered before the ceremony, it was to "Sweet Child o Mine."

Marriage ceremonies can be fun if you know creative people.

I personally don't have a specific one I would want played, as I don't ever plan on getting married.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 7 (view)

Really don't understand guys..
Posted: 6/12/2012 8:43:45 AM
Get a fat guy, like me.

We're so excited when a good looking woman pays attention to us, that we treat her like gold.
 Yayforbeer
Msg: 57 (view)

Does music influence who you go out with?
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:38:38 AM
Definitely.. I don't expect to find somebody who likes every single group and genre that I like, one needs to be realistic...

However if it's somebody who's into only the complete opposite of everything I like, or a bunch of top 40 crap and mindless pop music .. then yeah, we likely won't get along too well. I find people who are easily entertained by mindless music are also equally as shallow in most other respects.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 37 (view)

No sex from get go so no go
Posted: 6/6/2012 12:59:54 PM

Uh oh, someone doesn't have an open mind. ;)

I had a very happy anniversary, thank you! Just because my marriage doesn't fit into societies definition doesn't make it any less.

Good luck to you finding what you're looking for!

I understand this doesn't pertain to the original topic, but I find this kind of amusing.. I mean certainly everybody is free to have a relationship however they see fit.. I even have a friend who has been with his girlfriend for over 15 years, but they have an open relationship. It's all good.

But is it still a marriage if you're getting it on with people other than the spouse? :) Marriage is defined as a monogamous domestic partnership.

Again, I'm not disagreeing maliciously, I just enjoy a good debate now and then.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 32 (view)

your personal theme song
Posted: 6/6/2012 10:01:03 AM
I love all kinds of music, but if there was one track I feel would be my personal anthem, it would be "Just Older" by Bon Jovi. Because every day it becomes more and more fitting for my life :)
 YayForBeer
Msg: 8 (view)

Cannibal Corpse
Posted: 6/5/2012 6:58:39 AM
I've seen Cannibal Corpse at least a dozen times, they always put on a decent show with plenty of energy.

They're definitely consistent. Over the years they've also become extremely technically proficient. Alex Webster's bass playing is a thing to behold live, his fingers are pretty much a total blur.

I have yet to actually hear most of Kill. Personally, I thought from Gallery to Wretched Spawn was their "golden age" so to speak. That entire period all 4 albums were masterpieces, with a very distinct tone to the production.

They don't get nearly the due they deserve. It's hard as hell to be in an extreme metal band and make any significant money, and they're the best selling one of all time. (Believe me, I've tried countless times)
 YayForBeer
Msg: 58 (view)

Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/29/2012 1:53:00 PM
I like some Rap.. mostly older rap from when I was younger that was more like Party music .. I have a buddy that listens to Immortal Technique and while I really enjoy the music itself, and his rapping skills - I feel like an ass when I listen to it, because I had a pretty good life, childhood, and currently a good career and place to live - and he's going on and on about these atrocities... it makes me feel like what he's rapping about is my fault.

But otherwise I just don't really listen to most new rap because I've been a guitar player for 20 years, and there's not much guitar to be found in it (though there is some). I love just about any other kind of music - folk, jazz, death metal, rock, alternative, you name it. And Rap is great, for what it is, but it doesn't take long for me to tire of just the beats and samples, and want to listen to something with some guitar in it. (Other than bass)

Whatever moves you, and resonates in your heart - shouldn't matter what others think.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 63 (view)

Best song one liners/lyrics you love
Posted: 5/29/2012 11:44:43 AM
And the angels had guitars even before they had wings
If you hold onto a chorus you can get through the night

- Meat Loaf "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through"

Show ALL Forums